Type keyword(s) to search

Gordon Ramsay’s Food Stars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really don't know who is being set up to win, but I think the young guy who doesn't know how to adapt in social situations may be soon to go.

There is no way he is going to win. GR is not going to invest in a sno-cone business belonging to a 20 year old. However, I would much rather he stick around longer than Baby Spice and Flamingo Hair.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 6/22/2023 at 2:57 PM, mertensia said:

Queen was the.right person to go. Stuffing cabbage in trout? Like, what?

And when she defended it saying "It's only a cup of cabbage" like...what? That's a lot of cabbage in this context, Queen! 

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Like 3

Ugh, I think I have to stop watching Gordon's US shows. It really diminishes my opinion of him. He is much more serious and chef-like in the UK versions of these shows, and sometimes I think he just enjoys doing the US versions so can have fun driving race cars and jumping out of helicopters and hanging out with his rich and famous friends while making absolute buffoons out of a bunch of fame-whore Americans. No way does he take this crap seriously. And I am really mad at him for not stopping that kid from kicking that fish IN THE MOMENT and just bringing it up later because "how do you think that looked." 

• Like 4
On 6/22/2023 at 1:13 PM, lgandkihei said:

Speaking of which, Caroline was off at the fishing hole, so she had absolutely no idea what had transpired back at the grill, but as soon as her entitled pink head appeared, she decided that Megan was throwing Queen under the bus.  WTF?  Then, they all got to pile on accordingly while Queen stood there looking wounded.  I guess Caroline could see that she didn't have a big enough part this week, so she had to jump in to grab some air time rather then risk her precious TV exposure. 

I almost jumped off my couch the moment she started in on Megan and said the exact same thing.  She had no clue what went on and don't try and tell me if she was the one that stayed back with Queen that she would not have had the same issues and made sure everyone, especially Gordon knew about it.  So shut the hell up with all that BS.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I wish I'd stop watching this because Caroline actually makes me angry even though I know it's just a TV show.  I just want to reach into my set and smack her.  I keep wondering if she's a real contestant or a ringer they brought in to be a villain.  

I understood what Gordon was saying about having Lan in the video to represent her culture and tie it to the team's dish.  However, she doesn't look Asian at all, at least to me, so I'm not sure that message would have come across in a very short video unless they used voice over and she talked about it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I think everyone had Carolyn's number as they all tried to avoid having a confrontation with her as she turns everything into a confrontation so she can assert her superiority over them all.  Even though Carolyn caused problems, Sydney was the root of the problems as she wouldn't tell Carolyn 'no' while serving as team leader (which she really, really, really wanted to be because, you know, she watches a lot of tik-tok videos).  I think Carolyn was shocked that Gordon sent Sydney home instead of Ashley who Carolyn very straightforwardly told Gordon to send home.  She was shocked! shocked I tell you that she didn't get her way.

Neither of the videos appealed to me.  I think Gordon is really catching on to the limitations of these contestants.

• Like 3

Caroline is at least entertaining in a love-to-hate kind of way, and it's fun to see how much almost every other person there hates her. I got a huge kick out of Caroline sadly saying, "we tried," and Eyelashes being all, "OH HELL NO DON'T PUT ME IN THIS."

Sydney was just stupid and ineffectual and since she's been enabling Caroline's attitude for the last few weeks, she deserved to go. Caroline really showed herself during the grilling by going on about how she did everything she could to help Sydney, but then didn't hesitate in telling Gordon that Sydney was in over her head. Her breakdown after the elimination was some of the fakest crying I've ever heard.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

Yeah, Sydney was massively over her head in this.

I bet everyone on the blue team was all "yay! We don't have Caroline!"

The blue team's was dumb, but at least the cooks could follow the instructions.

• Like 3

I wonder what Sydney is thinking after watching this.  She defended Caroline out of “friendship” and then she got to watch Caroline throw her under the bus the very first chance she got.

• Like 3

I hated the blue team video.  The whole idea behind farm to table is to respect where your food is coming from.  To throw it around is beyond crass and juvenille.

• Like 6
On 7/13/2023 at 12:05 PM, fishcakes said:

Caroline is at least entertaining in a love-to-hate kind of way, and it's fun to see how much almost every other person there hates her. I got a huge kick out of Caroline sadly saying, "we tried," and Eyelashes being all, "OH HELL NO DON'T PUT ME IN THIS."

Sydney was just stupid and ineffectual and since she's been enabling Caroline's attitude for the last few weeks, she deserved to go. Caroline really showed herself during the grilling by going on about how she did everything she could to help Sydney, but then didn't hesitate in telling Gordon that Sydney was in over her head. Her breakdown after the elimination was some of the fakest crying I've ever heard.

Hahaha.  Glad I was not only one that found her crying fake and funny.  What was even better is the total look of SHOCK on Carolines face when Gordon kicked Sydney to the curb.  She apparently thought she had snowed Gordon with her Bullshit analysis of who was the problem on her team and should be let go.  It was priceless.  

And Sydney, your girl Caroline was only friendly with you because you were the ONLY person left that liked her and gobbled up Caroline's bullshit with a spoon.  

New found respect for eyelash girl as she is only one to call Caroline out on her BS. I think her over furry eyelashes are her secret source of power against the evil knows as Caroline........

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/22/2023 at 4:25 PM, mlp said:

I keep wondering why Gordon is involved in a show this bad.  Surely he doesn't need the money.  I also wonder if Caroline was hired to play a part.  She doesn't seem to be all that knowledgeable and she's not attractive but she's very good at being the villain.

Queen was difficult and hard to work with so I was glad to see her go.  Megan seems a lot nicer but she just acted like a doormat instead of ignoring Queen and getting the tables set and so on.  She's never going to win.

The heavy-set gal (don't know her name) needs to take several steps back from her false eyelashes.  She must think they make her look more attractive but she can't have looked in a mirror.  Yike.

The only one I sort of like is the tall guy with the ridiculous dangling earring but that earring puts me off.  I can't remember what his product is so I have no idea if it's something Gordon might want to promote.

I just caught up on this thread after watching since week 1 and I've watched you all come to the same conclusions as I have at about the same time.  The contestants are insufferable, the show feels fake and it boggles my mind how Gordon would ever get behind any of these people or their concepts.  Even the guy with the dangling earring annoys me no end and forget about the one with the caterpillars for fake eyelashes.  I can't even remember any of their names anymore which at this late date says something.  What a bunch of prima donnas and clueless idiots!  I loved the reactions of the guest judges at their awful online presentations last week.  I don't think either team deserved to win.  This is probably the worst Gordon Ramsay show I've ever watched, and I've watched a few.  At this point my husband and I don't even know why we keep watching every week, but no matter, I'm sure we won't be tuning in if there are any more seasons of this dreck.  Let's just hope the reboot of Kitchen Nightmares isn't disappointing.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

It's a shame. The UK version of this show was great compared to this. It's like they have zero regard or respect for the American viewer and think we will only respond to fake OTT antics and drama. I wish Gordon didn't buy into that.

I recently saw Gordon on the tribute special for beloved, dearly departed Masterchef Australia judge Jock Zonfrillo. Gordon was real, warm, funny and even cried. I wish he would show us that Gordon in the U.S. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Is it me or does Ashley pretty much not like any idea?  I was actually glad when Caroline somewhat told her off basically saying “if you don’t have any ideas, stfu”.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Is it me or does Ashley pretty much not like any idea?  I was actually glad when Caroline somewhat told her off basically saying “if you don’t have any ideas, stfu”.

I think Ashley is at the point where she wants to disagree with Caroline on principle. 

No decaf? No iced coffee?  No savory choice? What?

• Like 5
10 hours ago, KeithJ said:

I also think that she disagrees with ideas so that if they lose she can say "I did not agree with the concept, but once it was decided I did my best..."

I think this was inherently unfair as having the one additional person really did help the blue team.  Now, it was a toss up as to whether or not Carolyn would help or hurt her team, but if nothing else, she could clear tables.  And really, on the red team, how were they expected to clear tables when there were only three of them?  I guess they could encourage people to throw their own trash away and maybe give them a free pastry for doing so (since it seems like profits didn't matter in this challenge).  I think Megan was the right person to send home as she really wasn't trying to help her team once the challenge started and also seemed easily distracted when talking with the customers.  Tony was pretty dismissive of having a savory option.  And, Aaron did ask about having decaf and was shot down.

• Like 5

How could the person taking orders comment, "Oh . . . ANOTHER Brittany" without asking for a last initial or telling her that she was "Brittany 2" for the sake of getting the order to the right person?  

There were not enough people on either team to bus tables . . . especially since production was probably corralling people off the street to keep the places  crowded.

Megan was definitely the right person to go home on this challenge.

• Like 5

I live in Seattle and I have to say the city-wide shots were definitely colorized. All those unnaturally bright blues and greens made me wonder if I needed to adjust my set. Nine months out of the year, we are more gray than technicolor.

It looked to me like the pop-up shops were near the Pike Place Market, which is where the original Starbucks is still located. So I feel like a lot of tourists got boned since no matter how much Starbucks reputation has fallen, I would think most tourists would still rather go to Store Zero than to some random pop-up that, as @AZChristian noted, they were probably being herded into by a PA. The customers didn't seem like the normal morning crowd grabbing some coffee before work since some of them said they had been waiting 30 minutes for their order.

Despite the prices on the menu, I kind of suspect the orders were free, since I never saw anyone paying and those tip jars were stuffed way fuller than I've seen anywhere.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

It looked to me like the pop-up shops were near the Pike Place Market, which is where the original Starbucks is still located. So I feel like a lot of tourists got boned since no matter how much Starbucks reputation has fallen, I would think most tourists would still rather go to Store Zero than to some random pop-up that, as @AZChristian noted, they were probably being herded into by a PA. The customers didn't seem like the normal morning crowd grabbing some coffee before work since some of them said they had been waiting 30 minutes for their order.

Despite the prices on the menu, I kind of suspect the orders were free, since I never saw anyone paying and those tip jars were stuffed way fuller than I've seen anywhere.

If I had been in the area and thought there was any chance at all of seeing Gordon, I so would have gone to one (or both) of those pop-ups!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
On 7/20/2023 at 9:00 AM, seacliffsal said:

I think Megan was the right person to send home as she really wasn't trying to help her team once the challenge started and also seemed easily distracted when talking with the customers.  Tony was pretty dismissive of having a savory option.  And, Aaron did ask about having decaf and was shot down.

I agree with this.  She did not lead her team and it would not have taken much to do even that.  She got caught up in talking to customers and being the face of the coffee shop.  I honestly don't know how the young kid is still there.  

Caroline was on her best behavior this episode.  But she looks at Gorgan with such longing and desire, I keep waiting for her to jump him. She really thinks she is going to win this whole thing.  I hope not.

• Like 3
On 7/20/2023 at 12:50 PM, seacliffsal said:

f I had been in the area and thought there was any chance at all of seeing Gordon, I so would have gone to one (or both) of those pop-ups!

Did anybody catch the woman who held the door for Ramsay at one point and did a big double take like, "Wait, was that Gordon Ramsay??"

• Like 1

OMGEE!!!! Gordon likes his lattes “Extra Hot” just like do!!!

Happy I Am Groot GIF by Disney+

Whaat?

Ahem.

I don’t know about anyone else, but Caroline comes off as someone who WANTS to be the one in charge; pays lip service to being a team player, because immediately after, starts questioning and bitching about what work she has to do.

This twat can’t leave soon enough.

And Good GOD. How self-absorbed was Megan? Quickly shutting down the option for decaf? And being clueless about Seattle with regards to coffee? Or whatever it was that Gordon said and she responded with “I didn’t know that.”

Really?

• Like 6

I dont understand the concept of a food network star that cannot even operate a toaster oven.  Having a coffee company qualifies you to... have a coffee company.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 7/18/2023 at 9:32 AM, Yeah No said:

I just caught up on this thread after watching since week 1 and I've watched you all come to the same conclusions as I have at about the same time.  The contestants are insufferable, the show feels fake and it boggles my mind how Gordon would ever get behind any of these people or their concepts.  Even the guy with the dangling earring annoys me no end and forget about the one with the caterpillars for fake eyelashes.  I can't even remember any of their names anymore which at this late date says something.  What a bunch of prima donnas and clueless idiots!  I loved the reactions of the guest judges at their awful online presentations last week.  I don't think either team deserved to win.  This is probably the worst Gordon Ramsay show I've ever watched, and I've watched a few.  At this point my husband and I don't even know why we keep watching every week, but no matter, I'm sure we won't be tuning in if there are any more seasons of this dreck.  Let's just hope the reboot of Kitchen Nightmares isn't disappointing.

Perhaps this will be the first time Ramsay throws in the towel and says none of you deserves the quarter mil-offer rescinded!

• Applause 3

As much as I hate most of the contestants, I still love Gordan.  Not sure why he is slumming on this show, he has several other shows and is rich.  Maybe he lost a bet to Joe or one of the other judges on MasterChef and they made him take the most idiotic, unprofessional cooks/business/Donutmaker/beverageguy show.

Gordan, you are so much better than this shit show.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

So Gordon is supposed to choose one of these idiots for some kind of partnership?  Most of the people I know, who do NOT own any kind of food related business, could do better on these tasks.

Lan doesn't seem awful. Caroline is psycho, and Ashley-lashes is delusional if she thinks those eyelashes are working for her.  Of the guys, longhair Tony stands out as being less of a clown than the other 2.

• Like 5

This show is awful. I watch QVC and they never have five products on at once; they do sometimes only show something for five minutes though. I don’t think the contestants were given any training and were just set up to fail. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

This show is awful. I watch QVC and they never have five products on at once; they do sometimes only show something for five minutes though. I don’t think the contestants were given any training and were just set up to fail. 

Yeah, and they have similar challenges on other shows where the contestants have to perform in front of cameras, and they're usually also train wrecks, but 20 minutes is completely unreasonable.

(I really wanted to see a clip of whichever QVC person commented on the alien eyelashes, because you know someone did.)

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 4

I think someone at QVC told Tony that his hair wasn't his 'moneymaker' and to tie it back up.  I do not want to see anyone's long hair dangling over food items so haven't understood his obsession with his hair throughout the season.  The right two people went home, but I wish Gordon had sent Carolyn home even though her team won.  She is very lucky that Ashley and Lan did well.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I think someone at QVC told Tony that his hair wasn't his 'moneymaker' and to tie it back up.  I do not want to see anyone's long hair dangling over food items so haven't understood his obsession with his hair throughout the season. 

And it was so dirty! He made a show of taking it down, but when he pulled out the bun, the big greasy section over his forehead stayed up. So disgusting. It looks like they might have made him wash it before the presentation because it looked a little less gross by then.

Lan is the only one who seems even a little bit competent lately, which I wouldn't have predicted back in week one when she tried to put in all the orders for 40 churros at one time.

• Like 3

I hate to agree with Caroline about anything but she was right that using a recipe format was a bad idea.  They didn't have the time or coordinated items to do that effectively.  In the end, they seemed to have scrapped that idea.  

I watched both sessions with second-hand embarrassment but the men's segment made me cringe.  I liked Tony until this episode but he deserved to go home.

Lan will probably win.  She's done OK so far and she looks good.  I can't imagine that Gordon will decide to associate himself with Caroline and her nasty persona and hideous hair or Ashley and her ridiculous eyelashes.

• Like 4

I'm not being sarcastic here. I've been watching this show, and other than some of them being tangentially involved in the food industry (no remaining chefs) what exactly is Gordon looking for this person to do in his business empire?  What skill sets?

I found it interesting that Ashley said she had tried out for QVC several times, so being on this show is not the first time she has tried/wanted to be on t.v.  Oh, and speaking of QVC, years ago Gordon was selling cookware and I bought a set of his pans.

I think Gordon is looking for a business in which to invest, so I wish I knew more about all of their businesses/products. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mertensia said:

Aaron was so in over his head; I'm not surprised he was fired.

In what universe did unfired dude think his smoothie was delicious?

I got curious and decided to check out this "tiktok king". I don't get it. I don't see it. Why was Aaron picked for the show? I'm probably not his target audience. I don't have tiktok but the videos I saw on what his page were just gross.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, Lurk said:

Aaron was so in over his head; I'm not surprised he was fired.

In what universe did unfired dude think his smoothie was delicious?

I am surprised Aaron wasn't fire long ago.  He always has the same "Deer in the Headlights" look on his face in every challenge.  I have no idea why or how he got on this show.

And as a chef Tony never should have let them do that awful smoothie and done one that looked and tasted good.  Gordan is world renowned Chef and would never have highlighted a kitchen tool using crap ingredients. 

Lan for the win.  But this is really a shit show. And yes, I will keep watching this train wreck. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I died when the men set the electric skillet on the stove, and they didn't realize it was a bad idea until the exit interview. Aaron even had the gall to say "yes, but the stove wasn't on." I think they all forgot that they were supposed to sell those items. They didn't point out the selling points of the products. This entire episode was a waste of time for everyone.

• Like 5
On 8/3/2023 at 4:25 PM, jabRI said:

I'm not being sarcastic here. I've been watching this show, and other than some of them being tangentially involved in the food industry (no remaining chefs) what exactly is Gordon looking for this person to do in his business empire?  What skill sets?

I think it’s to capture a wider, younger audience for his brand using tech. He seems to be looking more at the business side than food prep and presentation. I’ve always loved his quick videos where he cooks one item, showing step by step, puts it on a plate, and says, “Done!”

Edited by Daff
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2023 at 9:51 AM, gaPeach said:

I am surprised Aaron wasn't fire long ago.  He always has the same "Deer in the Headlights" look on his face in every challenge.  I have no idea why or how he got on this show.

And as a chef Tony never should have let them do that awful smoothie and done one that looked and tasted good.  Gordan is world renowned Chef and would never have highlighted a kitchen tool using crap ingredients. 

Lan for the win.  But this is really a shit show. And yes, I will keep watching this train wreck. 

Hah, my husband and I have been calling Aaron "Deer in the Headlights" all season.  We both couldn't understand how he and Tony "man bun" were still there.  It felt too hard to believe that Gordon would have let either of them get this far in real life.  I can just imagine how he would be reacting to them if either of them were on "Hell's Kitchen" instead of this show, LOL.

As much as Lan personifies a lot of what I personally cringe at in young people these days she is the only one left I can see winning this, and I've suspected that it would be her for a couple of weeks now. 

• Like 1

Miss Perfect Pants.  lol

I’m not sure who is more full of themselves.  Caroline or Ashley.  Even after all the negative feedback from Gordon, Ashley’s mouth practically hit the floor when he announced Caroline’s name.  Then her “diamond in the rough” speech and “Gordon couldn’t see it and it was the wrong decision.”  Pul-lease.

Unless Lan completely blows it next week, I think the win is hers.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 7

Darn.  For some reason, I thought tonight was going to be the finale so I was dismayed to realize I have to watch this mess one more week.  Got to stick it out now though.

I didn't quite understand what the sword swallowing had to do with the steak entree but I won't miss Ashley and her eyelashes.  The judges seemed far too effusive about Caroline but I imagine Gordon tells them ahead of time who he favors.

I was surprised that Wayne Newton didn't get more attention.

• Like 6

All I ever want to do during these episodes is to tell Caroline to be quiet.  She is desperate for the limelight and I totally disagreed with the judges about her performance.  If I was watching a sword-swallower I would not want the emcee to be making all of those comments.  I felt that Caroline actually distracted away from the performer.  And, she totally blew the line that Chris was waiting for.  But, having said that, Ashley's course really was the worst, and her comment in front of the judges about winning was just bad.  

I think that only Chris and Lan should have moved on-Gordon should have cut both Caroline and Ashley.  But, his comment about 'perfect pants' makes me think he is as tired of Caroline as I am.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

All I ever want to do during these episodes is to tell Caroline to be quiet. 

omg she would not shut up. Even when Gordon was explaining the challenge at the beginning, she had to keep interjecting with a "right" or "okay" or "wow" every time he paused. It's impossible for her to listen to anyone else for more than 5 seconds without having to say something worthless.

You could tell she loved being called Miss Perfectpants and thought it was Gordon complimenting/flirting. Smiling through all her faux shock. There is nothing genuine about her at all except when she's being nasty to someone.

As soon as the episode started and they said one person would be eliminated before the finals, I figured Ashley. They've been setting up the Lan vs. Caroline showdown since episode 1, and Chris has been a drama-free person so no one has much of an opinion about him. Plus, they probably just wanted to keep a guy in.

• Like 7