Type keyword(s) to search

Gordon Ramsay’s Food Stars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, mlp said:

In fairness, the consultant guy told Caroline to do it that way.  I guess he thought it was innovative.  I was delighted that she lost either way.  

I missed that part where he told her to do it like that. I just found it so bizarre. Why "sprinkle" the star of the show on top like a bit of garnish? I don't like a ton of sauce on my pizza, but I expect it coating the crust.

• Like 2
On 8/17/2023 at 12:36 PM, fishcakes said:

Last night made me more impressed with Chris as a person, but I don't think much of his product. It's basically a dehydrated drink, which has already existed for decades. The only thing he's added is the gimmick of 3D printing onto a disposable cup, which despite what he says is not eco-friendly. Just because it's plant-based doesn't mean it's not wasteful. There are all the resources needed to source the materials and produce the cup, and disposal is also going to be a problem. It can't be recycled and depending on where it's used, it might not be compostable either. So the cup is probably going into a landfill.

As for him saying he could use his technology for spaghetti sauce and coffee -- I mean, instant coffee exists as well as those spaghetti sauce packets in the spice aisle. His other two products last night were bone broth and mouthwash, to which I would respond: bouillon cube and a mint.

I came here to say pretty much the same thing.  I am scratching my head about how Gordon could possibly buy into Chris's OTT hyperbole about "saving the planet".  Wow, did I cringe at that stuff!   I honestly thought Gordon would recoil at such obviously exaggerated BS.   I think Chris' product has limited use.  Sure, it's based on new technology and the biodegradable cup idea is cool, but the dehydrated food is just that - dehydrated food, and no amount of smoke and mirrors are going to make his any better than any existing dehydrated food and I doubt he has any new approach to making it that much better, just easier to produce and more convenient as part of the cup.  Saying he could make a pizza or pasta sauce with it or just about anything else is ludicrous.  The quality would not be that great and what use would dehydrated sauce have in a single use biodegradable cup anyway?  It would only work if you didn't care about quality and only need a little bit, and I just don't see that being so popular.  The product would end up limited to beverages or powder based soup, not much else.   And the coffee it made would never be as good as real brewed coffee unless he's invented some ingenious revolutionary process to overcome that and I really doubt he has.  Plus as was already discussed, would the cup even be microwave safe?  My guess is probably not, so there goes that.

I think Chris's idea sounds great on the surface, but once it's looked at more closely it has too many flaws to live up to the hype.  I agree that it is hard to compete with other pizza sauces and coffees, and that Lan had issues with her naming and packaging, but other than a few limited uses I don't think Chris's product is going to be the fantastic life and world changing product they think it will be.  I can see people buying it out of curiosity but after that wondering what they would do with it other than put it in their kid's or spouse's lunch box.  I see it as a curious novelty whose appeal is sure to wear off very quickly.

On a shallow note, I was completely in shock over how much taller and better looking Chris's wife is than he is.  Wow, and I thought Leonard and Penny were a stretch on "Big Bang Theory"!  This is even more of one!

I agree with what was said above about how the competition should have featured these people's real businesses and not the overused fake reality show crap.  The format of this show was more the way reality shows were done 15-20 years ago.  Very outdated.  I think the show suffered for it.   As someone else said, I would have enjoyed it so much more if it was more like "Food Network Star" where they were constantly asked to represent their culinary points of view.  If they were constantly asked to feature and represent their products in every challenge it would have been far more realistic and satisfying to watch.

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, Lurk said:

I missed that part where he told her to do it like that. I just found it so bizarre. Why "sprinkle" the star of the show on top like a bit of garnish? I don't like a ton of sauce on my pizza, but I expect it coating the crust.

I couldn't believe she went along with that.  This woman has pizza running in her veins, she should know better than that.  I'd have fought him on that.  I think she wanted to trust the so-called "expert" over herself.  Too bad, because she knows her product much better than he does obviously.

I honestly didn't know anything about any of these people's products until this final episode.  That was ridiculous.  I felt shortchanged to finally see the reality that was being lost and covered over with all that fake drama.

Lan's product suffered from the title not really matching the product and misleading the buyer.  This wasn't fat milk, it was coffee with some kind of milk in it.  And the word "fat" is unfortunate in this context too.  who wants more fat? 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I couldn't believe she went along with that.  This woman has pizza running in her veins, she should know better than that.  I'd have fought him on that.  I think she wanted to trust the so-called "expert" over herself.  Too bad, because she knows her product much better than he does obviously.

I honestly didn't know anything about any of these people's products until this final episode.  That was ridiculous.  I felt shortchanged to finally see the reality that was being lost and covered over with all that fake drama.

Lan's product suffered from the title not really matching the product and misleading the buyer.  This wasn't fat milk, it was coffee with some kind of milk in it.  And the word "fat" is unfortunate in this context too.  who wants more fat? 

In the beginning of the show when they showed the person's name and product, I did look up a few on the Internet to see what they were.

On 8/20/2023 at 12:53 AM, Yeah No said:

missed that part where he told her to do it like that. I just found it so bizarre. Why "sprinkle" the star of the show on top like a bit of garnish? I don't like a ton of sauce on my pizza, but I expect it coating the crust.

I agree and thought it was weird too.  With that being said, Caroline was never even in the running for the win.  She was there for drama and that is it.  She did her job.

• Like 4
On 8/20/2023 at 12:16 AM, Daff said:

And I noticed that during the opening, with customers, she went back to spreading sauce on the bottom! Typical.

Because she knows everything about everything.  That was obvious during every episode of the season.

/sarcasm

• Like 3
On 8/20/2023 at 1:16 AM, Daff said:

And I noticed that during the opening, with customers, she went back to spreading sauce on the bottom! Typical.

also while i am no expert by no means, i can taste the freshness of a pizza sauce. but that is it. nothing ingredient wise tastes me wow anymore, its always the same spices and tomatoes in ratios. i have yet to find a pizza sauce that WOWS me over. fresh or no, spicy or no. anything better i have yet to find.