Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: A House Divided

• Start Topic

When Tommy and Judd disagree on protocol during a rescue at the paper mill, a full-on feud develops between the 126 EMS and Fire. Owen awaits news that could change his and T.K.’s lives forever.

Airdate: 05/09/2023

I love most seafood (except for oysters) and seafood-related foods, but I never found the thought of squid ink on any food I plan to eat to be remotely appetizing.  Can anyone who has tried it give me an idea of what it might taste like?  (I could go for some shrimp or crawfish pasta right about now, though, even at this late hour of the evening.) 

It's hard to pick a side, because I know that Judd was IC, and Tommy should have followed his orders, but if he had been in her place would he have just ran off and left someone in the factory if he had been alone with that person? 

At least there were a couple of rescues this episode (and I guess we'll find out about Wyatt's condition next week).

• Like 1

I thought it was odd nobody else from the house went to the hospital knowing it was Judd's son. Didn't even have Grace there. 

Tommy is a captain, she expects her staff to follow orders then she should be following the rules/process too. She acted above rules and orders. 

• Like 9

I don't even know where to start with this episode. It had the potential to be really good but the "TK might have HD" storyline took up time I would have rather seen devoted somewhere else.

I agree with TK that Owen should/could have waited until he had the results before sharing with TK. Waiting a short-time for information is entirely different from trying to keep an illness secret. Everything about the TK freakout to Carlos annoyed me because it didn't have to be and it took time from the more interesting story in my opinion.  

I really don't know the "right" answer for this situation and am disappointed that the two of them didn't talk it out and come to an understanding. I'm also confused by Judd being at the hospital with just Tommy and not even Grace, nevermind the rest of the house. That's out of character for ALL of these people especially since TK and Nancy recognized Wyatt on arrival. It also makes TK & Carlos going out to celebrate seem a little callous even though I understand the motivation. 

I did like the double-couple date scene and love that Grace called out the pastor for being biased. I also liked the Owen and Robert scenes, and the group firehouse stuff. 

• Like 4

So, a rare Owen-lite episode. He only appeared in two-three scenes; I guess Rob Lowe was busy elsewhere? 

It WAS a decent episode, I will say. I didn't hate the TK might have Huntington's storyline, though he definitely was overreacting before there was any confirmation, but that's also just TK. He spirals when something looks bad, so it made sense, but I did like Carlos' response. It's one of the few times I was really invested in a Carlos/TK scene. I'm mostly fine with them, but don't usually care one way or the other. I think both actors did a great job with their scenes. 

Judd vs Tommy isn't what I expected. I see both points, but I think Judd was worried about the fire chief finding out anyway (since they had to include the amputation in the incident report) and he was trying to make sure neither got in trouble. That just spiraled into Tommy thinking that Judd was trying to pull rank and act like he knew better, and then Judd made the mistake in making it personal in any way. I can see where the issue spiraled. 

I did thoroughly enjoy the Judd/Grace and Tommy/Trevor date nights, especially the dinner scene where Grace and Trevor ended up fighting. 

Once again, very little of the B Team besides their one scene where they're fighting. But otherwise, a solid episode. I'm mildly surprised they've injured Wyatt; it feels like a waste now to have him work to be a firefighter, something he never wanted until his last appearance, only to have him likely have that path taken away because of an accident. Maybe if we saw Wyatt between that first episode and now, there'd be more sadness over the potential loss of his career path, but we've really jumped ahead. 

Owen's minimal presence worked. I did like his scenes with Robert and I'm not too surprised by Robert's ask. I assumed it might go that way.

• Like 4

Can we talk about Tommy's waist-long braids and how unsafe those were in the field? I can't imagine city/county paramedics are allowed to have hair below the neck. I know cops and firefighters aren't. Source: father was cop; ex-BIL was firefighter.

• Like 11
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Everything about the TK freakout to Carlos annoyed me because it didn't have to be and it took time from the more interesting story in my opinion.  

I thought TK really over-reacted to the news that there was a chance he might have the Hungtinton's gene. He didn't even know whether or not he had it or whether or not he would ever get it even if he did. That's just over the top drama queen stuff. I mean, I've got all sorts of nasty things in my genetic background from Alzheimers to Parkinsons to all kinds of cancer. If I sat around all day crying about what I might get some day I'd never leave the house. If anything, Carlos should rethink marrying him because he's going to have to put up with TK making mountains out of molehills for the rest of his life.

Can we talk about Tommy's waist-long braids and how unsafe those were in the field? I can't imagine city/county paramedics are allowed to have hair below the neck. I know cops and firefighters aren't. Source: father was cop; ex-BIL was firefighter.

Yes! I was like "what's with the Dorothy braids?" There's no way those met the dress code.

• Like 3
(edited)

TK and Carlos just work my nerves. I know some people love them but today was an example of why I think they are are jumping the gun with getting married. We saw this with the fact that Carlos didn't mention he was married or when he and TK were on opposite sides of having kids. They don't talk about the serious stuff.

Also, TK going full Olivia de Havilland just made me want to crawl through the screen and smack him (after I got done smacking Owen for not waiting until he had the test results and starting all this needless drama). TK wanted to give Carlos an out on marriage because he might have Huntington's as if he hasn't already nearly died a couple hundred times. Let's be honest, even if he had Huntington's, TK is very likely to die in some freak accident before symptoms would show up.

Don't get me started on Tommy's braids. I doubt those were made of human hair. I shudder to think what would happen if they caught fire.

I was so glad the hostess in the restaurant tossed them out. They were being ridiculous.

Edited by marceline
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Owen's minimal presence worked. I did like his scenes with Robert and I'm not too surprised by Robert's ask. I assumed it might go that way.

When they were discussing his illness in Texas, I was thinking "assisted suicide is legal in California."

Why would he decided to go back to Texas where it isn't legal and put Owen into a situation where he would be risking his job and possibly his freedom when Robert had the option of following through on his own desires by staying in California?

• Like 3
6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

an we talk about Tommy's waist-long braids and how unsafe those were in the field? I can't imagine city/county paramedics are allowed to have hair below the neck

So unflattering. So dangerous. 

3 hours ago, marceline said:

Let's be honest, even if he had Huntington's, TK is very likely to die in some freak accident before symptoms would show up.

Yes, Natural Selection claimed TK a long ago.  I am reminded of Lassie desperately trying to save Timmy from all the wells he fell into.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

I’m gonna have to disagree with the crowd on TK’s reaction.  I don’t think it was unreasonable or out of character. This is not a “my grandfather and father both had cancer, so there’s an elevated risk of cancer for me too” situation. If Owen had the gene, there’s a 50% chance that TK will also have it. And from what we know about TK, of course he’s gonna spiral. Which of course is also why Owen as wrong to tell him before the test results. Not because he can’t handle the truth, but because there’s a very real chance for a relapse. To tell TK, and then bolt out to California like that was very dangerous on Owen’s part. 

• Like 7
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

There's been more than once she's had long styles that I don't think would be appropriate for the field.

Not only unsafe if they got caught on something, but also the risk of them being dragged through who knows what while working on a patient. Most would put long hair up for a job like this.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

He didn't even know whether or not he had it or whether or not he would ever get it even if he did.

If he has the gene, he has the disease. That's how Huntington's works. And it's an extremely serious disease. Honestly, I think they did that whole story because it meant they got to show TK and Carlos being as devoted a couple as is possible to be, and normalizes the gay relationship for anyone who is still squicked out by the gay factor. How can you say that's not a marriage, or that it's not real love, or that it's less of a commitment than any other? People get divorced nowadays over much smaller issues-- and these two hadn't even technically married yet, so it's not arguable that they already said the vows etc. I also think it course corrected the weirdness they introduced after the multiple instances of the two of them not talking about major issues, like whether one of them is already married, and whether or not to have kids. 

---

I thought it was way too much to ask Owen to take care of a brother he just met. Why the hell is his family not doing that? And what kind of nerve does it take to show up only when you want something, after a lifetime of not even looking to find the long lost brother you're asking it of, and only just meeting him when he showed up anonymously and uninvited at bedside of the deadbeat dad who abandoned him? 

---

Somehow the use of the word "rebuke" made that restaurant scene. It was as over the top as every other scene of the show, but I somehow find it funny and plan to say: "Did you rebuke me?" and "I rebuke you!" IRL because even though any time it's needed will be a serious moment, it will still make me laugh.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
29 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Somehow the use of the word "rebuke" made that restaurant scene. It was as over the top as every other scene of the show, but I somehow find it funny and plan to say: "Did you rebuke me?" and "I rebuke you!" IRL because even though any time it's needed will be a serious moment, it will still make me laugh.

I feel that way about the word 'irk'.  It makes me laugh.  'He irks me.'  'I should be irked, shouldn't I?'

• Like 1

I can't stop thinking about the writers of this episode sitting around a table (or Zoom screens) and deciding Judd is going to resolve Tommy refusing to leave the about-to-explode building by picking up an ax and wacking off the victim's stuck arm. 
But, according to Paul's flame (the HR/IA lady), that was not an issue.
And it didn't come up as a reason Tommy was so upset. Yet. Maybe next week? Stay tuned?
And shouldn't Judd be totally traumatized by having chopped off someone's arm with an axe? The guy died. Could it be because of loss of blood even though the arm was already tourniqueted? If I was Judd, I'd be wondering. And having nightmares.

• Like 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I've got all sorts of nasty things in my genetic background from Alzheimers to Parkinsons to all kinds of cancer. If I sat around all day crying about what I might get some day I'd never leave the house.

Yes, same here with the Parkinson's gene, but the genetic test for Huntington's disease can be definitive — which is probably why the writers used it for this plot, especially since TK is a drama queen who should probably be on mood meds — which makes Owen's decision to tell TK several days before the results because Owen wants to be — what was it?, "honest" with him?  — definitely more unnecessary than cutting off the arm of a victim in hopes of saving his life. But the writers had to go there so Carlos could say the lovely monologue that the writers were sure not going to cut from the episode or even save for the future.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Sometimes Grace bugs me, but I've never loved her more than I did in this scene. Quoting the Bible to her pastor and then rebuking him? Gold.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
(edited)
On 5/10/2023 at 6:25 AM, BluBarbi98 said:

I did like the double-couple date scene and love that Grace called out the pastor for being biased.

I don't even think it was so much he was truly biased, as he was afraid of angering Tommy. Which, understandable, but grow a spine, Preacher Man!

I do think Judd ratting Tommy out was petty, and due to bruised ego/hurt fee fees rather than truly necessary. Since when does he believe in following all rules to the letter? If Owen were that stringent about everyone following protocol the whole 126 would have been fired by now.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And shouldn't Judd be totally traumatized by having chopped off someone's arm with an axe? The guy died. Could it be because of loss of blood even though the arm was already tourniqueted? If I was Judd, I'd be wondering. And having nightmares.

Maybe it's not the first time Judd has chopped off body parts with an axe? Gotta save some plots for Season 5!

Wow, it really doesn't pay to be a loved one of any of the main characters. Wyatt's in an accident that injures his spine, Grace's dad has had multiple life-threatening hospitalizations, Mateo's identical cousin died in a car crash, Tommy's husband died young, Owen's father and ex-wife have died, his half brother has a grisly lethal condition that he's responding to with assisted suicide, one girlfriend was the target of a massive bomb threat, and another was poisoned by her husband. All in the last 4 years. Be careful, Mr. and Mrs. Reyes!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 6

The amount of trauma this show decides to pile on every single member is ridiculous.  Look at Judd for instance... the man was somewhat responsible for the death of his childhood friend, lost his entire firehouse in an explosion, plunged off a bridge into an icy river and almost died and had to sit vigil by Grace while she was in a coma, had a building collapse on top of him and now has to hear his son was hit by a truck.  And don't even get me started on Owen and TK.  By rights they should all be in intense therapy.

I agree that calling HR on Tommy was petty, but there are such things as safety standards in the field.  And a building imminently going to blow up while you're in it while trying to save someone that you can't given the time limit is incredibly irresponsible. And I don't blame Judd at all for pointing out she has two young daughters who just lost their father. I'd be hyper sensitive to that if I was my kid's only living parent.  She is a paramedic, not a firefighter so her danger level isn't as high as Judd's.  But the whole "I am going to save this person by God even though the building is gonna blow up in five seconds" hyper heroic bullshit.

But it did give us the funny restaurant scene.  Team Grace all the way.  Preacher man is on my last nerve.  So I loved Grace scolding him with scripture and standing up for her man!  I don't think they were being too disruptive for the restaurant, imo.  They were animated but not overly loud.  But I guess it was supposed to be super snooty. 

Honest to God don't care about what new roadblock they throw in for TK and Carlos.  Frankly I no longer care about TK and Carlos.  They've wrung out every possible dramatic thing they could to keep their romance front and center and soap opera angsty that they are annoying to me now.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

I meant to point out the nice consistency on TK's shiner. On most TV shows someone can get the living crap beat out of them and two scenes later they look fine.

If he has the gene, he has the disease. That's how Huntington's works. And it's an extremely serious disease.

Sure it is. But at that point TK did not even know whether or not he had it and was already blubbering. As pointed out above, TK is far more likely to die in some tragic accident before it ever becomes an issue. He has been on the brink of death so many times already the Grim Reaper has him on speed dial.

• LOL 4
On 5/10/2023 at 7:22 AM, bilgistic said:

Can we talk about Tommy's waist-long braids and how unsafe those were in the field? I can't imagine city/county paramedics are allowed to have hair below the neck.

The HR lady should have started with, "Is that how you were wearing your hair during the incident?"

• Like 11
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think he was already beyond savable. His blood pressure was what, 53/20 and bleeding into his abdominal cavity? 

Beside the ax probably would have left a nicer "incision" than if Tommy had done her field amputation. 

• Like 1

As if Carlos has to worry about TK dying of Hunington's, TK nearly dies of some freak accident on a daily basis. He wont die of an illness, he'll die falling off a cliff after being chased onto a dangling bridge by a swarm of locusts while being struck by lightning. I would normally say that TK giving Carlos an opt out if he has the Hunington's gene was being dramatic, but considering how much stuff Carlos has kept from him, I appreciate his honesty. 

The fight between Tommy and Judd was rough because I could see both points. Tommy's right that Judd was being rather petty turning her in, especially considering all of the crap they do that isn't regulation every day, but Judd's right that Tommy should have left when she was ordered. Judd's the fire expert and while they're both captains he's the one in charge at the scene, he knows fires better than she does and it was his call. It probably also was affected by their personal relationship, he was certainly also thinking of her daughters more than he would for a random paramedic he doesn't know. I didn't really love the whole fight, by the end it wasn't even really resoled, but I did enjoy Trever and Grace getting into it after trying to play peacemaker, and then the two sides of the house doing the same thing. Grace really went there, she rebuked the pastor with some bible quoting of her own, way to stand up for your man, Grace!

Not much in the way of rescues, but that's pretty par for the course for this season.

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Tommy's right that Judd was being rather petty turning her in, especially considering all of the crap they do that isn't regulation every day

Seriously. I kept trying to remember how many times Owen has gone back into an exploding building to save someone.

On 5/11/2023 at 9:19 AM, DearEvette said:

I don't think they were being too disruptive for the restaurant, imo.  They were animated but not overly loud.  But I guess it was supposed to be super snooty.

Three of the four people at that table are black, which changes a lot of things about how much patience businesses have with customers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Three of the four people at that table are black, which changes a lot of things about how much patience businesses have with customers.

I'm Black and my patience ran out even before the hostess'. This is supposed to be a fine dining restaurant that you have to wait months to get into. Everybody else in that restaurant also wanted to have a nice dinner out. They also had reservations and they deserved a peaceful evening. It was stupid to try and force Judd and Tommy to sit down at the same table in public given the tension between them. They should've gone Applebee's and fought about it there.

And don't get me started on Tommy saying "Well if Judd would like to order...." Tommy, if you are going to do this dinner, act like an adult or keep your attitude and fake-ass braids at home.

Edited by marceline
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I seem to be in the minority. Tommy was being childish. Yes, I can see both sides of the situation, but as soon as Judd started talking to her afterwards, her shoulders went up, she got pouty, and she started giving him attitude about how they both have the same rank. Judd acknowledged that he understood where she was coming from. There was no reciprocal empathy from her side. It was not a good look for Tommy. In the fire, she made an understandable decision. But in handling the conversation afterward, she completely blew it. 

Edited by Xantar
  • Like 8
  • Applause 3
On 5/11/2023 at 3:53 PM, shapeshifter said:

Seriously. I kept trying to remember how many times Owen has gone back into an exploding building to save someone.

However, Owen is known as having a hero complex and not a lot of common sense, at least not in my opinion.

Judd: How long does a field amputation take? 

Tommy: It takes as long as it takes. 

Judd: Draws axe. 

Bulldog: Apparently, field amputations don’t take long at all. 

On 5/13/2023 at 3:08 PM, Xantar said:

I seem to be in the minority. Tommy was being childish. Yes, I can see both sides of the situation, but as soon as Judd started talking to her afterwards, her shoulders went up, she got pouty, and she started giving him attitude about how they both have the same rank. Judd acknowledged that he understood where she was coming from. There was no reciprocal empathy from her side. It was not a good look for Tommy. In the fire, she made an understandable decision. But in handling the conversation afterward, she completely blew it. 

I think I am fully on Judd's side on this one. He knew way more about the situation and generally knows way more about the behaviour of fires than Tommy does. When he gave the order if someone else had gone in to try and save her, her actions would be putting them at risk too. As for Tommy she had no plan and no actual way of getting the guy out of the machine. Plus she had no tools or even her personal protective equipment (like the mask and stuff). So if Judd had said she could have stayed what would she have done?

Then after at the station, he went to her and said that he had the report he had to fill out and basically asked what she wanted him to write. She probably could have said just write I came out as soon as possible and he probably would have. But giving her a heads up before he writes what actually happened seemed pretty fair. Especially since it wouldn't surprise me to know that all radio talk is recorded somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1