Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Masters

• Start Topic

James's stage persona is definitely an act. I find it most entertaining when Ken plays along, albeit in a winking manner.  But his (James) heart doesn't seem to be in it this time, and we seem to be getting more of the "real" James.

On 5/14/2024 at 5:39 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I am not a big fan of the Spelling Bee puzzle and I certainly don’t get Queen Bee status

I'm obsessed with Spelling Bee. I play it every day. If I'm up at 2am when they drop the new puzzle, I have to play it before I go to sleep. I think I've only gotten Queen Bee once or twice on my own, but with the help of Spelling Bee Buddy I can usually get there if I want. I bet Ken and Victoria don't need no Buddies. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

This is what’s missing from this season of Masters-the friendly trash talk.

You nailed it. I don't know if it's all due to a once-in-a-lifetime friendly/fun/good-natured/well-rounded contestants spoiling us forever...or a certain killer personality making his entrance at this second Masters and casting an unpleasant spell. I sure miss the fun of the first Masters.

• Like 7

If Amy had bet $0, she would have won. I kept saying, "Don't bet anything" to my screen, but she didn't hear me. 😔

I'm still happy for Mattea, though. I'm glad they beat Yogesh!

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

If Amy had bet $0, she would have won. I kept saying, "Don't bet anything" to my screen, but she didn't hear me. 😔

I'm still happy for Mattea, though. I'm glad they beat Yogesh!

Wait are you done watching the 2nd prime time game already? I’m watching live in ET and I thought it was safe to read this thread!

ETA oh never mind. You’re talking about a previous game. I’m now watching the one where it’s down to Amy or Mattea getting that last slot. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
(edited)

Yogesh: "What is...exurbia?...okay, that's a word." 😆

"You are the most famous Matt on the stage right now...because Mattea's not in this game." 😆 This is the kind of stuff I love about this competition.

I got the TS of covalence!

The first game FJ was an instaget. For the second game, like Amy and Victoria I also had the right author but the wrong story.

Mattea's moon-and-star earrings go with Matt's little drawing on the Space Force FJ.

19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait are you done watching the 2nd prime time game already? I’m watching live in ET and I thought it was safe to read this thread!

I think they're referring to Monday's second game. Mattea, Amy, and Yogesh didn't play each other tonight.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5

I covet Victoria's blouse. Amy and Mattea's styling was in my wheelhouse too.

27 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The first game FJ was an instaget.

Not quite instaget, but like my pretend Internet son, Matt Amodio, I did get Space Force.

I'm glad he and Mattea got a nice chunk of change.

For the last quarter final FJ, I said "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," so, wrong author, but for me, even having a guess in Masters is a good day. 

I had read all of the Science Fiction in that category, but until the details are posted, I can't say how many (if any) I got. I don't think any. Maybe I should reread them? It was about 20 years ago. 

• Like 4

I'm glad Amy is heading into the semis, but bummed Mattea is not.

Ken saying "And George's new book is out now" in the middle, rather than beginning or end, of the category George Stephanopoulos presented was weird.

I struggle with pop culture categories in the regular games, so I was stunned to almost run one in this tournament, but even though I don't keep track I am positive I got all but one (I didn't know Aubrey Plaza, as I didn't know Drake's name isn't Drake, let alone what it is) in game one's Pop Culture [Something].  On the flip side, in that same game I knew almost nothing in movie memes -- and the one I remember getting was about Titanic, a movie I hate, so that's annoying -- and riffs, sci-fi, and streaming TV in game two were also absolute duds for me; I know I got nothing (as expected) in sci-fi, and probably also entirely blew or came close to it in the others.

In game one, I also did pretty well in the vocabulary and housesitting categories, got FJ, and actually got a TS, covalence.

I don't think I ran anything in game two, but I'm something very close to positive I only missed one in cooking.  I was mostly terrible, but I got one TS - Osceola - and got FJ when none of the contestants did, so that's a huge accomplishment.

• Like 6

So sorry to see Matt and Mattea go (I enjoy both of them for their unique and authentic ways of being)... and happy for them that they won a substantial chunk of change!

Amy's interview about her untitled podcast was hilarious.

Victoria continues to amaze me - she's so quick, calm, and isn't a buzzer masher like some of the others ;-)

On a more shallow note... I was happy to see the women giving each other congratulatory hugs - and surprised to see Amy 'seeming' shorter than Mattea. Could have been the camera angle. I guess I thought it would be the other way around.

The men all shaking hands was also commendable. I like how James is always right on the ball to congratulate others... not sure it comes very naturally to Yogesh.  Yogesh is my least fave to win this and I finally figured out what it is about him that I find annoying at times - his mumbling! I must have been a sound editor in a previous life because I'm constantly annoyed when I can't hear clearly what's being said. Yes, my crankiness levels are changing right along with my aging.

James' philanthropy is inspiring.

I really (really!) miss Sam's bantering and his wonderfully infectious and fun energy in this competition.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

OT:  knitting trivia coming up.

I want to find Victoria’s Ravelry page now!  I can’t find it, as it’s not listed under her name or a likely combo.  For those who don’t know, Ravelry is like a Facebook site for knitters. You can post all your projects and search to see others. You can buy patterns and see everyone’s version of how it came out before you decide to buy.  I have a page myself.

Victoria mentioned the Ravellenic games, so she must be a member. During the Olympic Games, the site will post competitive events, as she mentioned. It was originally called Ravelympics, but they got one of those cease and desist letters from the IOC, so they changed it to Ravellenic Games.  

My performance in this set of games was atrocious. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ken saying "And George's new book is out now" in the middle, rather than beginning or end, of the category George Stephanopoulos presented was weird.

He said it just after the (only) time the book was mentioned. So it actually made sense to mention it then and not at any other time (especially since they skip around the clues).

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Bummed that Mattea didn't get to move on but otherwise enjoyed the two games.

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"You are the most famous Matt on the stage right now...because Mattea's not in this game."

I loved that too.  Ken is so quick witted.

Had no idea for FJ in the first game but jokingly said Starship Troopers.  I didn't know how close I was!

Also had no idea for FJ in the second game and also no guess.

I am looking forward to the rest of the competition but will also be glad when it's over.  Just too much Jeopardy!

• Like 4

I like everyone more or less, and have been rooting for Victoria to win, but if James is using his winnings to help unhoused kids, I feel like him winning is the best outcome.

I also would love to see Victoria's Ravelry page! I knit, but not enough to show my work in any context, but I know of Ravelry and get pretty excited about seeing projects. I injured a hand a few years ago and I kept telling the PT that my goal was to be able to knit again-- she didn't understand, but I was dead serious.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

It was originally called Ravelympics, but they got one of those cease and desist letters from the IOC . . .

This is hilarious.

Sorry to see Matt go; he's definitely a favorite of mine. Mattea has grown on me as well. 

I've tried to warm up to Victoria, and I'm getting there. But I secretly suspect she's the next generation Jeopardy robot.

Used to adore Amy until I read her book. 

I have no beef with Yogesh, and kind of enjoy James, so I'll be happy if either of them wins (other than hearing all the outrage from Yogesh haters). 

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, rejnel said:

Used to adore Amy until I read her book. 

Huh?  Please tell us more.  I just looked up the book and it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that would inspire negative feelings. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Bliss said:

surprised to see Amy 'seeming' shorter than Mattea.

I caught a glimpse of Mattea's footwear, and they were similar to these height-adding Dr Martens:

1330007020_zm.jpg

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm glad Amy is heading into the semis, but bummed Mattea is not.

🧸 I trust many more doors will open to Mattea. 🥰
I hope we get to follow there.
I could be wrong since I haven't followed Mattea much, but Mattea seems to have the kind of personality like Ken and Victoria that makes it easy to be around them on a regular basis, which could lead to a position on the Chase or something similar.
Like James too, who:

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

James is using his winnings to help unhoused kids, I feel like him winning is the best outcome.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Please tell us more.  I just looked up the book and it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that would inspire negative feelings. 

About Amy's book: a lot of it is engaging in just the way Amy is on the sow. But a couple chapters were just way TMI for me. Made me wonder about her judgement (not the content, but the fact she thought it was all appropriate to share).

On another subject, there was a category this week called something like "let's apartment sit for Anna." Is that a pop culture reference of some kind? 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, illdoc said:

He said it just after the (only) time the book was mentioned. So it actually made sense to mention it then and not at any other time (especially since they skip around the clues).

Since I was listening rather than reading, I didn't even register that.  Yes, of course, makes perfect sense.  Thank you.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, rejnel said:

About Amy's book: a lot of it is engaging in just the way Amy is on the sow. But a couple chapters were just way TMI for me. Made me wonder about her judgement (not the content, but the fact she thought it was all appropriate to share).

On another subject, there was a category this week called something like "let's apartment sit for Anna." Is that a pop culture reference of some kind? 

I enjoyed Amy's book but I swear it was about 50% footnotes!  I was wondering if that was what put some people off it.  (For what it's worth, I also enjoyed Neil Patrick Harris's autobiography, which was written in the form of a choose-your-own-adventure book.  In some cases, at least, I suppose I have a high tolerance for quirkiness.)

On the apartment sitting - I thought I remembered Ken making some kind of comment that implied that Anna was just some friend we were apartment sitting for.  Or maybe even someone who works on the show?  Or it may be something that went over my head.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
26 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

On the apartment sitting - I thought I remembered Ken making some kind of comment that implied that Anna was just some friend we were apartment sitting for.  Or maybe even someone who works on the show?  Or it may be something that went over my head.

I think he said she was imaginary.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I caught a glimpse of Mattea's footwear, and they were similar to these height-adding Dr Martens:

Yeah, I noticed the height and also the shoes. And if Amy was wearing flats...I remember they showed the three of them backstage waiting for their game and I noticed Mattea's shoes then, but I don't remember Amy's. And can't find a picture.

• Like 1
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Trey said:

I think he said she was imaginary.

Yes, he said not Kendrick or [some other famous Anna I can't remember], she's imaginary.

Of course it comes to me right after I post -- Wintour was the second.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

It looked like Amy was standing on a step. After the game when they are congratulating each other, they go back to their podiums and she steps up. They are then all the same-ish height.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

It was originally called Ravelympics, but they got one of those cease and desist letters from the IOC,

The IOC goes to extremes. Back in 96, when the Olys were in Atlanta, our famed drive-in restaurant, The Varsity, made up one of those lapel pins with 5 onion rings (their specialty) in the shape of the Olympic rings. IOC sent them a cease & desist letter. Onion rings.  Like anybody's gonna think that's official. Onion rings.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 9

Game 1 - I got at least one TS but I can't remember what it was, now.

Game 2 - I got the TS of rattletrap, and I think another one I also don't remember.

Wow, did not expect to see a master not be around for FJ.

I got the first FJ but not the second (I also guessed Big Tent).

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, who's left standing? 

Amy, Victoria, Yogesh, and James; there's one more night of semifinals on Monday, and the three with the most points at the end of that go to the finals on Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Game 1 - I got at least one TS but I can't remember what it was, now.

Game 2 - I got the TS of rattletrap, and I think another one I also don't remember.

Was either one Trans Am? That’s the one I got.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Didn’t they have fjord on the previous day also?  

I think so.

I got safety net.  There was another TS I got, but I was only marking down how many total clues I answered correctly (not a lot! 25 total for both games, not including the one FJ I got), and don't remember details beyond that.

I wonder if Yogesh snaps his bracelet to manage anxiety. I have actually heard of people using that exact move to manage urges to self-harm. I'm actually fingind him rather charming in these games. He's funny, too-- his jokes during the game make me laugh.

• Like 4

Sad to see Matt go without winning even one game. But he seems ok with it. He seems ok with everything. Love his positivity.

I felt bad for Amy too, because she seemed rather upset by her performance in these games. It's ok, Amy. We know you're amazing. Go hang out with Matt for awhile, he'll teach you how to shrug it off.

Looks like it's going to come down to Yogesh, Victoria and James. I'm good with 2/3 of that. It probably won't be the most exciting final because James has muffled his personality, Victoria is too new to bring the good-natured ribbing, and Yogesh is Yogesh, but I'm sure it will still be fun to watch. 

On 5/16/2024 at 8:28 AM, Trey said:

Just too much Jeopardy!

No such thing.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
On 5/15/2024 at 8:23 AM, 30 Helens said:

I bet Ken and Victoria don't need no Buddies. 

I dunno, at least about Ken.  He didn't light up the screen in his Celebrity Wheel of Fortune gig.  I guess trivia and fitting letters together are two separate skill sets.  My goal for Spelling Bee is Genius every day and if that's as far as I get, I'm usually pretty happy.

I've been wondering how Victoria, first, only managed one win in Jeopardy, and then went on to become a Chaser and one of the best on that team.  Because of her Queen persona, I did not want her to win JIT (let's make it a thing after all), but watching her humble James has been fun.  Anybody notice how his podium name kept getting smaller and smaller, as if he himself has been shrinking?

Love Amy but she's going to be the odd woman out after the semifinals.  I don't know if it's the harder questions on Masters or the level of competition, but I don't think she can keep up with these three.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I got the first FJ but not the second (I also guessed Big Tent).

I also got the first FJ and said Under the Big Top.

Loved Victoria's dress with the trees on it.  She wears the nicest clothes and seems to favour green.

9 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Didn’t they have fjord on the previous day also?  

Yes.  Also, I noticed that both games last night had "Gaslight"  as an answer.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, opus said:

Was either one Trans Am? That’s the one I got.

No, it most certainly was not an actual car name. 🙃

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder if Yogesh snaps his bracelet to manage anxiety. I have actually heard of people using that exact move to manage urges to self-harm. I'm actually fingind him rather charming in these games. He's funny, too-- his jokes during the game make me laugh.

I'm liking him more and more as we go along. I like his sense of humor (which I think we didn't see much the first time around) and his little low-key asides.

I might need one of his bracelets...

8 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Anybody notice how his podium name kept getting smaller and smaller, as if he himself has been shrinking?

Aw, I hadn't noticed but this makes me a little sad.

• Like 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

He's funny, too-- his jokes during the game make me laugh.

I was watching with friends again, so don't remember many specifics, but I remember him repeatedly cracking us up with his asides.

I kicked ass (for the Masters) in the first game, totally blowing my friends' minds -- I even killed it in Before, During & After, as I got three of them right away and one at the last second, only missing one, where I had no idea on the final prong (something about zombies).  I yelled at Victoria to bet more on the DD, because she'd have extra time to read it.

In game two, I was back to being dumb.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

Wasn't totally keeping track but I did get the TS of Avonlea in the first game, and in the second I got The Goldfinch, biotic, and Venus of Willendorf (on which I didn't hear James's mispronunciation so I was a little confused when Ken said he was wrong).

Got both FJs. The second one was an instaget, and I don't read a ton of fiction these days so I wasn't particularly confident with a recent fiction category, but I read it last summer.

Why is Amy sitting?

• Like 2

Thank goodness this time James was able to hear me yelling "Sacagawea" into our wormhole.😉
yardbarker.com/entertainment/articles/jeopardy_semifinals_end_which_masters_contestant_wont_be_in_the_finals/s1_17197_40384861

On 5/18/2024 at 12:47 AM, 30 Helens said:

I felt bad for Amy too, because she seemed rather upset by her performance in these games.

Amy's negativity/frustration has annoying me, but tonight she beamed when Ken announced she'd be walking away with $100,00, so it's all good. 🙃😊

On 5/18/2024 at 9:14 AM, Trey said:

Loved Victoria's dress with the trees on it.  She wears the nicest clothes

Based on Victoria's wardrobe, personality, and general likes, I am sure we could be work buddies. "Hi Nora!"

• Like 7
(edited)

I have never at any point in my life heard the title “Demon Copperhead.”  I totally thought Amy made that up as a weird joke til Ken said it was right.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thank goodness this time James was able to hear me yelling "Sacagawea" into our wormhole.😉

I also said that, as a totally wild guess that seemed vaguely plausible based on my extremely limited knowledge of that topic.

I laughed when James also seemingly struggled and then looked like he said Sacagawea just to give an answer, and then it was right.

• Like 5

Another reason to love Victoria - she has two kitties. 

I liked Ken asking if James's least-observant friend is a MLB umpire.  Also "I think you made every possible face first" about the time it took him to answer the Sacagawea DD.

I'm bummed Amy will not be in the finals, but not surprised with how she's been struggling.  I am also bummed Victoria has faded a bit from her early dominance, and hope she can regroup for the finals.

I got the Martha Gellhorn TS.  They seemed to have more TS than normal for Masters in game one, but all the rest stumped me, too.  As did every single TS in the second game.

In game one, I know I ran the journalists category, and I think I ran the psych category.  In game two, I know I ran acting teachers and think I ran H-town.  But, otherwise, yikes.  And I did not get either FJ.

• Like 1

JAMES IS BACK!! 

I can't lie, it made me feel good to say "Sacagawea" earlier and more confidently than James. 

Is Wednesday the last night, or is it a 2-day final ending on Friday? I'm hoping for the latter, because the 3-hour Survivor finale will keep me from seeing Wednesday's Jeopardy until Thursday, and it will be hard to avoid spoilers about the winner.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Is Wednesday the last night,

Yes, a two-game final with highest cumulative score winning (so back to dollar amounts instead of points).

• Useful 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I have never at any point in my life heard the title “Demon Copperhead.”  I totally thought Amy made that up as a weird joke til Ken said it was right.

I read "Demon Copperhead" two weeks ago. The story: depressing. The writing: delightful. The fact that it gave me an FJ for Jeopardy: priceless!

Edited by HissyFit
  • Like 5
  • Applause 5
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

It's a wonderfully written book based on David Copperfield, but set in modern-day rural southwestern Virginia/ east Tennessee, and incorporates the opiod epidemic that is rampant in that part of the world.  The author, Barbara Kingsolver, is from Kentucky and currently lives in southwestern Virginia, captured the voice of the region perfectly, imo.  It is depressing (as is David Copperfield), but I highly recommend it.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

JAMES IS BACK!! 

I can't lie, it made me feel good to say "Sacagawea" earlier and more confidently than James.

I just can't figure out what's going on with James (& it's really bugging me 🧐). He better be back to battery (now that's an old expression I haven't heard in decades!) from now on. I'm counting on him 🤞🍀🙏😸

• Like 2