Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Crossroads Inn

• Start Topic

Isn't there a Book vs Show thread precisely for that purpose?

yes, there is.. I was talking about things that I didn't understand either from the books or the TV show and wanted to talk about without going into the unsullied territory...sorry for the misunderstanding! 

I'm a woman without a sigil.  There really isn't a place for me. I'm looking for others with my predicament.

There is no such thing as Partially Sullied/Unsullied.  

As I mentioned before, I read the first two books when they were first published. I didn't have enough interest to keep up. So when the series first aired, I had some recollection of events but still found myself surprised quite a bit.  I simultaneously avoided spoilers (because the spoiler could have been from book three and up) while respecting those who had not read a single word.  When the series moved into the third book, I was so excited because I much prefer knowing nothing and letting the story unfold on television. I still avoid spoilers like the plague.

I was dismayed to learn that any book reading made me Sullied - even though the show is way the heck past anything I read 15-20 years ago.  I respect rules so I will not post on the Unsullied threads. At the same time, posting on the Sullied threads is risky business because I want zero spoilers about anything that has not yet aired. If I were to speculate at this point, it would truly be a guess.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Where do we belong?

I have to agree though: you ARE Sullied. There's a large number of scenes that were in the books that the show did not delve into. Dany's visions in the House of the Undying were COMPLETELY different. The show also omitted some very important dream sequences that have massive implications. You may not remember much, but you may remember that one little tid bit here and there that could potentially be a spoiler for somebody who's purely focused on the show. And it's not even that you would do it on purpose, but it's totally possible that you may confuse one thing for another.

I completely understand what you're saying, but all in all, because you read the first 2 books that may give you insights that an Unsullied is not privy to, even you consciously don't know it.

Is there a place for Book Walkers to go to discuss plot points that they are unclear about?  I know this about the TV show more than the books, but I can think of a few instance where I would like to understand things that are going on in comparison between the two.  

For example, what did we know about

Robert's love for Ned's sister (Lyanna?)..were they engaged or was he just in love with her.  Was she really kidnapped or did she leave willingly?  I don't recall this being addressed by the show or in the book, and I have a few other questions, that I would like to ask but don't feel belong on one side or the other. 

I guess what I am asking is, is there a place where the spoiled can speculate about future spoilers or help us wine-sodden idiots to get a grip on what in the hell is going on? 

To answer your spoiler tag question:

Robert and Lyanna were betrothed. Robert presumably fell in love with her the instant they met. Then Rhaegar fell in love with her. He "kidnapped" Lyanna (or they eloped)...and well the rest is history

I guess what I am asking is, is there a place where the spoiled can speculate about future spoilers or help us wine-sodden idiots to get a grip on what in the hell is going on? 

I'm new here and I was missing a place where book readers could speculate so I made a thread called spoiler speculations http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4632-spoiler-speculations/ where one can discuss things using knowlege both from books and show.

If it's only that you want to know the facts about what you posted under spoilers then I guess the book vs show thread or the Little questions thread works for you. But since it's not totally clear neither in book or show it might be something worth discussing.

(edited)

I just rewatched the last episode, and I noticed that Allister (Alliser? Meh, I'll just call him Alice from here on out....) really digged into this chicken. Not all the chickens, sadly, just this one, sorry Sandor. Seems to me that it's a somewhat very specific trope that all the bad guys just can't help themselves, they really have to devour some food while assigning the good guys some shitty task. Had to think of that king from LotR, when he ordered Pippin to sing that song. Mouth full and all.

Edited by Conan Troutman
  • Love 1
(edited)

That's funny, to quote wikipedia:

The series's broadcast in China on CCTV, beginning in 2014, was heavily edited to remove scenes of sex and violence

I don't even want to imagine how that might look like...

At least the pirates got it a lot easier, they can burn the entire series on a CD.

Edited by Conan Troutman
  • Love 1

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Chatter topic question. Does anyone else go into the unsullied habitat of the board just to see if someone wrote there?
I do even though i realize that any faithful unsullied of that board would have absolutely nothing new to talk about.

No, I thought they locked it down and we couldn't go there anyway.

I would never want to go there--I might forget where I was and get myself banned by posting something. I thought the unsullied were allowed to speculate, so they could be talking nonstop, really.

No we can go there and read. But I agree take care so you don't post something. It's generally easy to remember though because their speculation is so different from the book reader ones I otherwise post on.

That is fantastic. My son graduated from Purdue in 2013 and since he recently became a GoT fan I'll have to send him the link. Thanks for posting, larapu2000.

I love Ross Ade Stadium as the Wall and that they remembered to use IIII instead of IV on the clock.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

A funny GoT related thing happened to me today. I was in a lecture at my college in this generic class for theory and methodology of science which takes place in a huge lecture hall seating about 200 people. The lecturer told this story about a cholera epidemic in a part of London which was caused by a contaminated well. The lecturer talked about the guy who realized the well was the cause and he mentioned his name in passing, which was John Snow. This is a perfectly normal name after all, but since there where so many people in the audience you could hear the sound of about a hundred people making short quiet chuckling sounds at the same time.

• Love 2

A funny GoT related thing happened to me today. I was in a lecture at my college in this generic class for theory and methodology of science which takes place in a huge lecture hall seating about 200 people. The lecturer told this story about a cholera epidemic in a part of London which was caused by a contaminated well. The lecturer talked about the guy who realized the well was the cause and he mentioned his name in passing, which was John Snow. This is a perfectly normal name after all, but since there where so many people in the audience you could hear the sound of about a hundred people making short quiet chuckling sounds at the same time.

We have a newsreader here in the UK who is called Jon Snow (he is an older guy); he & KH met because of this, t'was amusing.

What kind of Game of Thrones related things do you all consume/produce during off-season? Apart from this board.

Myself I read some stuff at watchersonthewall and sometimes post on the IMDB board. Also I listen to the podcast Boars Gore and Swords which is hilarious.

What kind of Game of Thrones related things do you all consume/produce during off-season? Apart from this board.

Myself I read some stuff at watchersonthewall and sometimes post on the IMDB board. Also I listen to the podcast Boars Gore and Swords which is hilarious.

I read watchersonthewall almost daily, do rewatches (I've rewatched seasons 1 & 2 so far during this long winter) and sometimes I re-read some/all of the books. 

I check watchers pretty frequently, and occasionally lurk at worg but don't have an account there, ditto reddit, and also sometimes check racefortheironthrone, bryndenbfish,  and boiledleather for story analysis. I go back to the books whenever I'm out of other things to read, but I try to stick to what material the show is already done with, so my mind is fresher to receive future eps (this worked well for me with s4 to enjoy it on its own), and er, selective re-reading means I'm most familiar with Stark/Lannister/Theon chapters. But mainly I just have a multi-fandom tumblr, and see art/gifs or pics of the cast on that site. 

Not sure where to ask this, and apologies for being dense, but I'm a bit confused by all the different spoiler tags. The general tags on the characters threads would just apply to the kind of stuff that's already in there, right? So we can post supplemental material, commentaries, interviews, etc., but anything indicating what will happen in future eps should still be hidden, regardless of bookiness? 

Not sure where to ask this, and apologies for being dense, but I'm a bit confused by all the different spoiler tags. The general tags on the characters threads would just apply to the kind of stuff that's already in there, right? So we can post supplemental material, commentaries, interviews, etc., but anything indicating what will happen in future eps should still be hidden, regardless of bookiness? 

That is correct yes. Think of the prefixes as being for the benefit of those who may just be starting out watching the show. Ergo, someone still on S1 would be spoiled for later seasons if they read the Tyrion character topic, hence, they are all marked as 'Spoilers', however, all book talk should still be tagged in these.

I was wondering when discussing this show online does anyone else really dislike posts of the kind: The showrunners hate/love this or that character? I have no problem with critique of this show or any other but for some reason these kinds of statements bother me a lot. It just feels so silly to me to make such assumptions and it seems such a negative way of thinking about the show as if it's just the playground of D&D. When I see them in posts I usually skip reading it because after all I read this stuff only for enjoyment. So if I don't enjoy it it gets kinda pointless.

Does this bother anyone else? Or do you have other pet peeves? Or favorite kinds of posts for that matter, no need to get dug down in negativity.

• Love 3

I was wondering when discussing this show online does anyone else really dislike posts of the kind: The showrunners hate/love this or that character? I have no problem with critique of this show or any other but for some reason these kinds of statements bother me a lot. It just feels so silly to me to make such assumptions and it seems such a negative way of thinking about the show as if it's just the playground of D&D. When I see them in posts I usually skip reading it because after all I read this stuff only for enjoyment. So if I don't enjoy it it gets kinda pointless.

Does this bother anyone else? Or do you have other pet peeves? Or favorite kinds of posts for that matter, no need to get dug down in negativity.

Well, I'm of a naturally snarky temperament, so some of the things that annoy me most are also things I enjoy because they make me laugh. When people don't know the name of the character they mysteriously have a strong opinion about, or when they have clearly been watching the show with one eye on their phone or their game of Plants vs. Zombies, or while running in and out of the room doing other things, but want to be taken seriously, it's all I can do not to make fun of them. But we all do this for fun and entertainment, including watching the show, and so I don't make fun of them, because I don't want to spoil their fun. I love posts that start out, "why didn't they establish x," when in fact x was established, or "if they had done this, it would have been okay," when in fact that is exactly what they did. Pet peeves can be entertaining. I guess that's why they're "pet" peeves.

Oh Lord, that drives me nuts too. I also just looooove it when people complain about writers deliberately dumbing down story lines for the audience, then proceed to amply demonstrate why they can't handle anything more subtle than what's already being written.

I was wondering: Did anybody around here read The Accursed Kings, one of GRRM's inspiration for ASOIAF? For the KL/politics/realistic medieval side of it, I guess.

I don't know what the English translation is worth, but it was my favorite book series when I was a teenager and I wonder if others GoT fans find the same parallels/mirrors/inversions as I do, especially in the characters and a couple of storylines. Marguerite/Cersei, Varys/Tyrion mirroring Tolomei/Robert etc.

(There are TV adaptations. Whatever you do, don't watch the latest one, it's horrible. The 70's one is very theatrical -it's a filmed play and the actors are mostly stage ones- it has no budget whatsoever and is very dated but 100% more powerful imo).

I was wondering: Did anybody around here read The Accursed Kings, one of GRRM's inspiration for ASOIAF? For the KL/politics/realistic medieval side of it, I guess.

I've been meaning to pick up Les Rois Maudits as well. The first English translation is called The Iron King. I also have no idea how good or bad it is, but I thought it could be my next French book.

(edited)

I've been meaning to pick up Les Rois Maudits as well. The first English translation is called The Iron King. I also have no idea how good or bad it is, but I thought it could be my next French book.

If you read it in French, the style might be a tad stilted and old school -so maybe it's the same in the English translation- but I personally feel it isn't a problem since it fits the medieval setting. And as a teenager, I found it easy to read.

My favorite are books 3 and 4, The Poisoned Crown and The Royal Succession (Les Poisons de la Couronne and La loi des mâles). The political intrigues in those are top notch, imo. Book 5, The She-Wolf (hee!) focuses more on the English Crown (end of Edward II's reign).

I want to re-read the series this summer if I find the time (I didn't in ten years, although I recently rewatched the first TV adaptation) because GoT jogged so many memories of it.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

Hi :-)  I'm joining the general population from here on out.  In case anyone wonders what happened.  I saw something I could not unsee.  

Be nice to be able to talk to people again, by the way.  Both here and in my own life.  

• Love 2

See, this is the part that makes me freaking glad I saw what could not be unseen, at long, long freaking last.  

I have missed some of you people sooooooooo much.  You just don't even begin to know.   

• Love 1
(edited)

What did you see?  Aha, read it in another thread

that Shireen wasn't killed in the books.

Well, welcome back, although really, we are all pretty much "unsullied" now, the story, for the most part, is now beyond the books.

Edited by Umbelina

See, this is the part that makes me freaking glad I saw what could not be unseen, at long, long freaking last.  

I have missed some of you people sooooooooo much.  You just don't even begin to know.   

Shimpy, I can tell you that I'm not the only book reader who would occasionally venture over to the Unsullied thread to get your take after a big episode. 

IIRC I remember your posts from back in the Big Love days. 

My prediction:  I don't think GRR Martin has any intention of finishing the books series now.

Not sure about intention, but I do not believe he has the ability - I think he's lost himself among the 1,000s of  threads he's spun and doesn't know how to weave them back together to get to the conclusion.  And he seems more interested in enjoying the fame and attention he gets than in doing the hard work he needs to do.  

• Love 2

I'm currently reading Barbara Tuchman's book on the Hundred Years' War, A Distant Mirror - The Calamitous 14th Century, and the comparisons to GoT are striking.  On-again, off-again war brought hordes of sometime soldiers roaming the countryside, raiding and rampaging and pillaging; loyalty to the wrong king would get your castle/town/village laid waste; there was actually someone who killed an enemy by crowning him with white-hot steel; like the Lannisters, Charles of France defeated the English after learning that engaging them in battle was disastrous, so he just let them roam and eventually starve and never fought them after the initial defeats.  Squabbling nobles, betrayals, bewildering switches in loyalty, marriages to unite houses, religious upheaval in the form of the Great Schism -- it goes on and on and on.  I'm re-watching the GoT seasons to get ready for Season VI, and sometimes I actually get a bit confused about which atrocity is from it and which from Mirror.  

So, even though I have strong doubts about whether GRRM will ever complete the books, I have to hand him massive credit for immersing himself in the history and culture of the Medieval era to bring this story to life.  

• Love 2

Just leaving this here..

Looking for folks with an interest in playing GoT Mafia.  Signups have just opened for an upcoming game; it's all about trying to read people, pick up on hints/nuances, find clues in the stories, find bad guys, it's fun. You get assigned a character by the game mods and it's a secret.  It's a lot of fun with a bunch of good people, and well shit.. you get to be a GoT character

PM me if you're interested and I'll shoot you the signup link. 

giphy.gif