Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Crossroads Inn

• Start Topic

Hello :)  So I'm a TWoP refugee and I'm specifically from the Completely Unspoiled Speculation Thread over on TWoP.  We -- meaning the Unsullied (which I thought was a super-cute nickname until we found out what it meant last season and I just want to say I am in possession of all my bits and parts, thanks) -- have a thread over there that is comprised of people who have never read the books and only know about what has aired.  

Kind of a long story, but we try to figure out what will happen by the seat-of-pants.  I think thread is kind of a pain to moderate (sorry, sorry) so I thought I'd ask, is something like that going to be possible here? If not, cool, I get it. It probably really is a giant butt pain to take care of as a thread. But if it is, we'd be super grateful to have a new home for that.  

It does look like our thread will be up at TWoP almost all the way through season four, so if it isn't okay here, we have a home for a while yet.  

I just thought I'd ask.  

I'm about as sullied as it gets, but I want to say that I would love to see that thread kept up here if people come over and start it up - I saw the one on TwoP a few times and it was so interesting to read the speculation.  It's the one thing I miss out on having read everything so far, so I really enjoy getting to vicariously experience it a little from an Unsullied perspective!

• Love 2

Having an Unsullied thread to speculate is fine. As you probably saw, we'll be maintaining two threads per episode, where one thread is for unsullied folks. But if you want a general Speculation thread, we can do that. I'm happy to help keep the peace over there. I'm an avid book reader myself, so I am usually pretty aware when a person is spoiling a future point because they've clearly read ahead. There's a "report" button you can all use to bring specific posts to our attention - we'll try to get on those quickly.

EDITED TO ADD: Your wish is my command: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/2373-completely-unspoiled-speculation-thread-you-know-nothing-forum-reader/

• Love 2

Thank you for setting up an Unsullied thread.  May I suggest that readers be absolutely forbidden from posting there instead of "be conscious" of what you post?  I don't know if you've ever seen the comparable TWOP thread, but it is made very clear that readers should not post there.  It is too easy for someone to make coy hints that end up spoiling what is to come.  (I understand that it is sometimes hard to tell if someone is deliberately spoiling or just perceptive.)  This has worked to everyone's satisfaction on TWOP.  Thanks.

Edited by Haleth

Thank you, mad_typist! That would be greatly appreciated.  

Also , hey, just by-the-by, how's your bandwith here? I take it that thread, where we sort of wander around in circles trying to figure out what the heck is going on, is kind of popular with a large reader's site.  One of the bookwalkers pointed out to me in a PM on TWoP when we learned the site was closing that traffic tends to spike after an episode.  

I swear to by the old gods and the new, I am generally not as much of a pain in the butt as this particular post might be leading you to believe at present.  

I'll do my best to keep up with the thread, in a silent "Aww... you guys are adorable and perceptive and wait till you see how that really works out" kind of way :)

There are other mods around these parts that can pitch in, so I won't be totally solo. I'll also rely on you guys just using the report feature to help keep us in the loop. We'll see how it goes once the show starts back up, and the TWoP influx is complete. I'll also go ahead and update my intro post (which I'll pin, so people can't miss it) to note that if you've read the books, you shouldn't be posting in that thread. It will probably just make it a lot easier to moderate.

• Love 1

Hiya, Mod People!  I'm new here, just finding my way around.  Is there a way I can change the color scheme (I'm tech-ignorant, but I think its called a 'skin?')  Just having difficulty seeing the little symbols at the beginning of each thread, and the text seems greyed out against a stark white background.  If not, no big deal, just wondering!  Either way, I'm gonna like it here!

Hello, everybody.

As many others, I'm a refugee from TWoP. You may know me over there as ElymianDucat.

I was thinking that in the interest of easying the transition and preserve some of the things that made the Game of Thrones boards in TWoP so enjoyable, we should make an effort to preserve the wonderful non-spoilery Character Reference Sheet over at TWoP, compiled by Maximum Taco. I don’t know if he’ll make the move over here, but the Character List could be very useful over here.

Is it OK to make a thread over here and copy the List before TWoP goes dark? With proper credit given, of course.

I enjoy that kind of silliness, but it's not really show discussion, and I wasn't sure what the rules were about that. 

Go for it! Just keep it to those threads and not in the threads actually about discussing the show.

Okay, I'm checking in to the Game of Thrones discussion.

Time Warner Cable was nice enough to give me HBO and Cinemax as part of my deal for a year. Which by the way was nuts on their part, as those two channels cost them about $16 a month combined. HBO must have cut a deal with them to justify Time Warner putting the channels in my offer. (Sorry, I digress. My work is directly related to the cable and satellite business, so I tend to think in terms of how they do business. If you ever have any questions about that sort of thing, please feel free to ask.)

Anyway, over the holidays I discovered and binge-watched this show and am very much looking forward to the start of season 4 in a few days. I had only a couple things spoiling me.

First, since I was new to HBO Go, I did not realize that they list the newest episode at the top of their grid, and somehow watched episode 10 of season first.  Needless to say, I was a little confused and once I realized what I had done and started watching season 1 in the correct order, I had a pretty good idea of which characters I probably shouldn't get too attached to.

Second, I vaguely remembered a bunch of "Holy Shit Game of Thrones!" and "Red Wedding blah, blah, blah" facebook and twitter posts towards the end of what was season 3, so as I was reaching the end of my 30 espisode run, I knew something was going to happen.

Other than that, I knew nothing and I also realized that I wish I could have come to a place like this and rehash every little detail between episodes instead of watching them all in a row. So I'm looking forward to the next couple months with you all! Hopefully I'll have something useful to add.

TWOP Refugee # 5300. I am here for GoT. Perhaps you will find this funny....my husband pretty much hates this show because he could not tell Rob Stark and Jon Snow apart. Imagine how happy I was to let him know that would no longer be a problem! 

• Love 1

Its strange, isn't it, to be on a board where everybody is new?  I'm liking it, actually, will like it even better when the series starts and there's suddenly lots to talk about.  For right now, everything's sort of slooooow here.  Come on, Sunday!

Just curious, if anyone cares to check in, pass the time til...dun,dun,dun...Sunday.  Before you came here to Previously, as soon as an episode ended, you raced over to (where) to post thoughts and reactions?  Hey, its something to talk about anyway, til...dun,dun,dun...Sunday!

Edited by joliefaire
  • Love 2

Before you came here to Previously, as soon as an episode ended, you raced over to (where) to post thoughts and reactions?

I usually hit the AVClub reviews - the discussion threads were epically long but the reviews were always interesting.

• Love 1

I like that, mad_typist, adding it to my list!  I know that the morning after an episode airs, all those reviews, Sullied and Unsullied, are posted at WinterisComing.

I used to rush to Westeros, but that became futile--the site is SO huge that a gazillion people would be posting all at once and by the time you typed out your input or questions, 20 other posts would already follow yours, nobody even reading anything anybody else said.  Then, I discovered the Unsullied thread at TWoP.  AHA!  Eureka!!  A Home for me!  Much more enjoyable right after the episode ended, to see and read reactions and insights from show-only viewers.  There's plenty of time in the days afterward to post my own thoughts and input wherever.

mad-typist, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this site will be able to handle the influx here within seconds after an episode ends.  The Unsullied thread is going to be mobbed, like a thousand of we Dothraki screamers descending on it all at the same time.  :)

Hello. I, too, am an Unsullied from TWoP. I did read the first two novels when they were written, at least a lifetime ago, but stopped because I figured at the rate GRRM was writing, either he or I would be dead before the end.  So the show has now completely passed what I've read and now I'm Unsullied again.  

I take great care in remaining spoiler-free.  I hope that can happen here.  :)

• Love 2

Hi everyone,

I'm a book reader, and I've never been on any GoT series board until now (that is, until this season). I registered in different forums amongst which was also the TWoP. I found the GoT forum there very interesting to read and was sorry to hear it is closing. So I moved here like others. Looking forward to Sunday night :)

• Love 1

Hi everyone,

I'm a book reader, and I've never been on any GoT series board until now (that is, until this season). I registered in different forums amongst which was also the TWoP. I found the GoT forum there very interesting to read and was sorry to hear it is closing. So I moved here like others. Looking forward to Sunday night :)

Hello, and welcome!  As a bookreader, are you registered over at Westeros.org.?  HUGE place.  And be sure to follow WiC (http://winteriscoming.net/) and WiCTumblr (http://wicnet.tumblr.com/) for all the latest pics.

(edited)

Hello!

Mostly a lurker, I'm migrating over from TWoP and enjoying the place here. Thank you for taking us :)
I'm a bookwalker, but contradictorily I try to avoid spoilers about the specifics of upcoming episodes.

Cheers to everybody and up to s04!

Edited by sev
  • Love 1

Hello, and welcome!  As a bookreader, are you registered over at Westeros.org.?  HUGE place.  And be sure to follow WiC (http://winteriscoming.net/) and WiCTumblr (http://wicnet.tumblr.com/) for all the latest pics.

Thank you for the welcome :)

About Westeros: I used to, some years ago. Then I took a long sabbatical from all things ASoIaF. But no, I no longer go there. I do read WiC since HBO started the big promotion campaign about S4 back in Feb. They have some incredible blog. But it obviously lacks the forum quality. 

I'm about as sullied as it gets, but I want to say that I would love to see that thread kept up here if people come over and start it up - I saw the one on TwoP a few times and it was so interesting to read the speculation.  It's the one thing I miss out on having read everything so far, so I really enjoy getting to vicariously experience it a little from an Unsullied perspective!

Ditto. I find reading that thread makes the show that much more entertaining for me, especially since I know what will happen. Some of the speculation is hilarious, but then there are others that are surprisingly spot-on.

(edited)

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I did just want to say thank you to both David T. Cole and Dougal for working with us on our Unsullied "Our Eyes! Whatever shall we do?!? Who'll pay the rent?!?" crisis last night.  

I know I'm speaking for everyone from the Unsullied (is so weird how we all got used to that nickname, by the by) when I say we were super grateful for the help and willingness to try something different.  Thank you again.

I know you've got a site policy about "no giant threads, because...Giant is big.  Too big.  One might even say gargantuan and it wouldn't be an overstatement."

So if you guys want to lock after a certain number of pages and then do a "Part 2" or whatever will make it less of a "Look, a gajillion words. Many of them silly.  Oh joy."  we'll be so down with that, we will reinvent the concept of gravity.  Sincerely, thank you.  We're kind of a weird group, but  seeing as the internet is one giant GoT spoiler at times, it's so appreciated to have that thread.  

Edited by stillshimpy

Over on Westeros, we Bookwalkers have created an index to the Unsullied Thread - basically, the first post after each episode has aired gets its own hyperlink, to make it easier to review your reactions over time. Would something like that be useful here? I can create one here (not until Thursday, though, as I'm limited to posting on my phone at the moment). I don't know how much longer the original TWOP thread is going to last, but I thought it might be just as fun and useful to you as it is to us.

Hi Independent George :-)  A hyperlink that leads to the Westeros board?  Although it's kind of you to offer, that wouldn't work for the Unspoiled thread.  Most of us wouldn't go over there just to be on the super-safe side.  

Am I misunderstanding the purpose of a hyperlink?  What would it do and where would it lead?  If it leads somewhere offsite that would be problematic for us.  We try to stick to one thread to try and keep a) the heinous task of trying to mod for us to a bare minimum of head-pain and b) the number of ways we can inadvertently be spoiled to a bare minimum also. 

I really appreciate all offers of help, and how great you all are to us.  I know we all do, but I may be misunderstanding what a hpyerlink would do.  If it would lead offsite, it unfortunately won't work for us, but thank you so much for thinking about us.  It really is greatly appreciated.  

(edited)

No, the hyperlink that leads to the page of the Unsullied discussion immediately after the episode airs.

I'm sorry for not being clear - I'm old and typing on my phone is murder on my thumbs - but basically, the page is a GOT episode list. Each episode is hyperlinked to the first post on the TWOP Unsullied Thread to be written after the episode aired.

There is no link to Westeros at all, and no content from Bookwalkers, and no commentary of any sort. It's just a way of organizing the Unsullied thread so that you could jump to see the reactions to individual episodes.

Edited by Independent George
  • Love 2

No, the hyperlink that leads to the page of the Unsullied discussion immediately after the episode airs.

I'm sorry for not being clear - I'm old and typing on my phone is murder on my thumbs - but basically, the page is a GOT episode list. Each episode is hyperlinked to the first post on the TWOP Unsullied Thread to be written after the episode aired.

There is no link to Westeros at all, and no content from Bookwalkers, and no commentary of any sort. It's just a way of organizing the Unsullied thread so that you could jump to see the reactions to individual episodes.

Just wondering (you know I don't know about these things!) could you somehow bring that that list to a thread here, so the Unsullied don't have to leave this site?  It could be pinned and locked, like Nymeria's Character Reference thread.  (Sorry to put your poor thumbs through hell again!)

Just wondering (you know I don't know about these things!) could you somehow bring that that list to a thread here, so the Unsullied don't have to leave this site? It could be pinned and locked, like Nymeria's Character Reference thread. (Sorry to put your poor thumbs through hell again!)

Yes, that's what I'm thinking about - creating an index thread on PTV, to preserve both what the Mods originally intended with the split episode threads, while keeping the Unsullied discussion conveniently in one thread.

I think it would help if I can put up an example here (damn you AT&T!) - I know I'm not explaining this very well.

(edited)

I've totally got you now, IndependentGeorge, you're talking about posting a link here, perhaps in a dedicated thread, that would lead posters or readers to the first post after an episode in the Unspoiled Speculation thread.  That way the "my, that's a big ass thread.  The backside of that thread, she is broad and wide and...holy crap with all the words, I give up and runaway" problem of the aforementioned big thread would be minimized. 

People could just choose the "Hyperlink for episode two (which would actually be whatever fully deranged thing one of us said right afterward, quoted)" and go right to the first post of interest to them if they were looking for Unspoiled commentary and speculation on a particular episode.  Right? 

You are a splendid human, Sir.  What a great idea.  Let's run it by the mods here.  

Thank you so much, IndependentGeorge

ETA: Also in unrelated matter?  I apologize that I am so often missing a letter, my keyboard is old and fed up with how wordy I am, so it has a few issues.  

Edited by stillshimpy

I'm not sure where else to put this, but I need to say something to the other Bookwalkers on the forums:

ALL details from the books that were not included in the show are spoilers. It's not just details on future events, but also backstory, geography, and even names. If you're not sure if something was revealed, unless it's specifically marked as being a spoiler thread, then please hide it behind the spoiler tag to be safe. Assume all threads are meant to be spoiler-free unless otherwise noted, and stay the heck away from the ones that are specifically marked as spoiler-free.

The Unsullied have just been spoiled on a very minor detail that has no bearing on the story, but still annoys me nonetheless. My best guess is that it's diffused in from the spoiler-free episode thread.

Being able to finally communicate with the Unsullied to discuss the move here was fun, but I think it's opened the floodgates a bit too much. There are too many people trying too hard to 'help' with story points that it's threatening to hurt or ruin the experience.

The Unsullied have just been spoiled on a very minor detail that has no bearing on the story, but still annoys me nonetheless. My best guess is that it's diffused in from the spoiler-free episode thread.

That routinely happened at TWOP too. Unfortunately I think that's an inevitable result of some Unsullied reading the episode threads. For example, reader's excitement about a new character, even without specifics, already signals that characters importance. Not sure anything can truly be done about stuff like that. But I agree w the sentiment.

(edited)

I think having the two threads for the episode helps a lot, and as a Bookwalker I wholeheartedly agree that we need to not post at in the Speculation thread and the episode threads for No Spoilers. I know I'm not the only Bookwalker who loves reading the theories and ideas you guys come up with (to borrow the often used line from MarkWatches, "You are not prepared."), and I'd hate to not be able to read those anymore. But, you guys remaining spoiler free trumps that. And we definitely want you to remain spoiler free, since the reactions are just as awesome to see as the speculation.

There was a thread at TWoP where the Unsullied could ask the Bookwalkers questions, and I think the answers were put in spoiler tags. Do we have something like that here yet?

Edited by ellystar
(edited)

Yeah, I decided it was too risky to post in the no spoilers episode thread so from now on I'm sticking to the spoiler one only. I wouldn't want to accidentally say something I shouldn't. And bookwalkers should definitely stay out of the Completely Unspoiled thread, no matter how helpful you think you are being. Otherwise it will become a closed conversation that we can't see.

There is a thread for asking questions with answers being spoiler tagged, but I think the Unsullied are hesitant to look there.

Edited by Haleth

I'm a woman without a sigil.  There really isn't a place for me. I'm looking for others with my predicament.

There is no such thing as Partially Sullied/Unsullied.  

As I mentioned before, I read the first two books when they were first published. I didn't have enough interest to keep up. So when the series first aired, I had some recollection of events but still found myself surprised quite a bit.  I simultaneously avoided spoilers (because the spoiler could have been from book three and up) while respecting those who had not read a single word.  When the series moved into the third book, I was so excited because I much prefer knowing nothing and letting the story unfold on television. I still avoid spoilers like the plague.

I was dismayed to learn that any book reading made me Sullied - even though the show is way the heck past anything I read 15-20 years ago.  I respect rules so I will not post on the Unsullied threads. At the same time, posting on the Sullied threads is risky business because I want zero spoilers about anything that has not yet aired. If I were to speculate at this point, it would truly be a guess.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Where do we belong?

Previously.tv peeps, YOU ARE AWESOME!  Thank you for providing such a great forum and a safe haven.  I'm thrilled to have found you. 

(Edit: deleted just about everything, since there were more appropriate answers)

Edited by Snowblack

Is anyone else in the same boat? Where do we belong?

Answered in the official Two Threads per episode policy thread. Posting it here for reference, but would like to get back to normal small talk chatter. If you have additional questions, go to the other thread.

We're working to spin off a section for the Unsullied to go to where there will be a more strict policy of "if you've read the books at all, don't post in here" for all threads in that subforum. Until then.....

For the normal episode threads here, if you are no longer ahead in the books (for reference, season 4 covers the latter half of book 3, so let's just say that it means you haven't read past book 2), you can participate in the unspoiled threads. The only place where people who have read the book are asked not to post is the Speculation thread for the unspoiled people.

TooMuchCoffee, what joliefaire said. The only place you are barred from posting is the Unsullied thread. Naturally, you should avoid the spoiler threads for your own good. So that limits you to the no-spoiler threads, like... all the other show-only folks. You situation is no different.

Is there a place for Book Walkers to go to discuss plot points that they are unclear about?  I know this about the TV show more than the books, but I can think of a few instance where I would like to understand things that are going on in comparison between the two.  

For example, what did we know about

Robert's love for Ned's sister (Lyanna?)..were they engaged or was he just in love with her.  Was she really kidnapped or did she leave willingly?  I don't recall this being addressed by the show or in the book, and I have a few other questions, that I would like to ask but don't feel belong on one side or the other. 

I guess what I am asking is, is there a place where the spoiled can speculate about future spoilers or help us wine-sodden idiots to get a grip on what in the hell is going on? 

• Love 1