Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Spoiler Speculations

• Start Topic

Here's where you can talk to your heart's content about things that happen in the books that may or may not also happen in season 4 of the TV show.  Also, anything in the books that's happened in the show up to this point is fair game.

I read an interesting theory on the IMDB board where a poster pointed out how the gods of the seven are represented in some of the characters on the show.
Stannis is the father- Stern and judging
Dany is the mother- Caring and nurturing
Sansa is the maiden- Innocent and beautiful
Jon is the warrior- A guardian

Now I don't know if the other gods fit with any of the characters.
Possibly Bran could be the smith if he is destined to follow in Bran the builders footsteps somehow. And maybe Arya could be the stranger.

I wonder if this means that Stannis, Dany, Sansa and Jon will always be like those archetypes. That wouldn't bode well for Sansa learning to play the game.

I agree about Arya and Bran.

Is Dead!Cat the Crone? Surely Cersei wouldn't like to be called that! Wait, the Crone should represent wisdom...  Can't think of anybody. Brienne might acquire it with time, though I prefer her main characteristic to remain 'honorable butt kicking'.

GRRM has great female characters, it would be a bit of a downer if at the end their roles would be so conventional: Maiden, Mother and Granny.

I'm curious how much of Dany's adventures in Meereen they're going to cover this season, because frankly I found most of her chapters in ADWD tedious.  All she has left to do from book 3 is march to Meereen, conquer it, and get annoyed with Jorah and send him packing.  It makes me think they'll bring in some of the ADWD chapters, and again: tedious.

I guess they could make more of her conquest of Meereen (IIRC that happened off-page in the book).  The fighting and the bashing of the heads could be exciting visually, but narratively she's just too sidetracked to hold my interest.

I wonder if this means that Stannis, Dany, Sansa and Jon will always be like those archetypes. That wouldn't bode well for Sansa learning to play the game.

It seems more likely that they're all going to move away from those archetypes.  Dany's already acting less and less like hers (remember, the Mother is all about mercy), and Sansa and Jon have also taken steps away from theirs.  

I'm curious how much of Dany's adventures in Meereen they're going to cover this season, because frankly I found most of her chapters in ADWD tedious.  All she has left to do from book 3 is march to Meereen, conquer it, and get annoyed with Jorah and send him packing.  It makes me think they'll bring in some of the ADWD chapters, and again: tedious.

Based on released information Hizdahr appears in episode 3 (perhaps as the person who arranges the duel with the Meereenese warrior that Daario will fight as her champion?), Dany crucifies Meereenese in episode 4, and the father of the child Drogon eats appears in either episode 8 or 10 (my personal guess is 8 so that Dany is absent for 9, the Wall episode, and locks up her dragons and banishes Jorah in 10 after she's had offscreen time to seriously consider what to do). If they move fast and ruthlessly in establishing her problems with her dragons and the Sons of the Harpy this season and speed up Tyrion's journey from Illyrio to Meereen, it just might be possible to have the Battle of Meereen in season 5.

• Love 1

I have a theory about the long term storyline. I believe that the planet has two cycles. There's the strange variable length seasons that we've gotten used to, but there's also an energy cycle. It affects both natural and supernatural phenomena.

Chemistry for instance. At a low phase in the cycle, you cannot make greek fire. Or wildfire as they call it. It's no more flammable than tallow. As the energy cycle ascends, the flammability increases. In Aerys's time it burned pretty well but wasn't that easy to light. That's why there was so much cached in King's Landing leftover from the last war. Whether it was purely defensive or whether Aerys had some thought of a last resort immolation, he ran out of time before preparation could be made. But when Tyrion found it, the cycle had reached the point where the stuff behaves like napalm. At a higher point still, it will become too unstable to make.

Metabolism. Dead's dead, right? Except when the cycle gets high enough, dead's not dead, because the life force won't go away. Hence zombies. Higher still, and with the proper intervention of magic, you can get revenants.

Note that the appearance of the white walkers implies that the cycle is not consistant over the entire world, it's significantly higher in the far north. Note also that the energy cycle, like the seasonal cycle, is of variable length and that this time it'd been in a low phase for so long that even the Night's Watch has forgotten what they're guarding against, and think that they are holding an 800 foot wall against purely mortal, human bandits.

Magic: In a low phase, there is very little magic. Most is just stage trickery. A few people have flashes of talent and, tucked away in ancient strongholds, a very few genuine wizards huddle, hoarding their power and surrounding themselves with a protective environment of mystery. Those who want to contact supernatural entities must expend great effort and make great sacrifices. But as the cycle rises magic becomes more frequent, more overt. The ancient wizards may bestir themselves to intervene in the affairs of individuals and nations-- but perhaps the rules are slightly different this time. Meanwhile charlatans with good rhythmic patter gain real abilities. Devotees of the fire god are among the first to experience this since they deal with an elemental force in all their rituals. To a lesser extent this also works for carnival fire eaters. And, in a high enough phase, it becomes possible to do a summoning without requiring a little boy's boy parts.

Elsewhere, the fairies stir. People who have a touch of psychic power become seers. People with a touch of animal empathy become mind riders. It becomes possible to make fire hot enough to smelt special alloys, or at least rework them. It becomes possible to combine fire and biology, and so dragon eggs hatch and the hatchlings grow huge, whereas in a lower phase, they could not survive and their eggs were inert.

That is why the maesters have the test of the candle. It's a test of the cycle. There was a time when they knew if someone could light the candle then the cycle had reached a phase where all sorts of things were about to manifest. But it's been so long that even the maesters have forgotten.

Finally, at the highest phase, there is too much energy. And you get tectonics. That's what happened to old Valerya. Smelting their super steel, filling the skies with dragons, weilding potent magics-- they weren't prepared for it all to boil over.

This also explains how you can have four thousand years of recorded history and never get out of the late iron age-- the laws of nature are not consistent enough to build knowledge over generations or to test with scientific experiments.

Also, i do not believe that the comet is connected, either as a cause or as a herald of the rising cycle. I think it just happened to be passing by and was affected by the same thing, whatever it is, that's why it's so bright.

Comments?

• Love 8

Not sure if this is spoilers but I can't post in any Unsullied threads as I am sullied. But I have a theory about Jon Snow's parentage. We saw the Snow covered iron throne in Brans vision and Danaerys's vision in the House of the Undying. The show has also been very good about establishing hair color/ features as being significant.. Lannisters are blonde, Targaryens platinum/white haired, Starks brown/ Tully red. Yet Jon Snow is Black of Hair, like Robert and Renly (and presumably Stannis who has gone gray), and as Jon Arryns last words said, ten Seed is Strong. So maybe this all points to Jon being the proper holder of the iron throne. After all Robert and Lyanna Stark were promised to each other, we know from Cersei that Robert said her name while banging Cersei (as if he's been with Lyanna before). So Jon is a Stark but also a Baratheon.

I know about the other book reader theories of Jons parentage but the show has not hinted at that nearly as much, in my opinion.

• Love 1

I think amongst book readers Jon Snow's parentage is pretty much an assumed thing at this point. In fact, the books give SO many hints, I'd be disappointed if it weren't true that Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen were his parents.

I think the show has put a few hints out in the that direction, but may just be waiting to dole out the clues until we get closer to the actual reveal. Which... should be sometime in 2016-2017 at this rate.

• Love 2

I guess I feel that the book and show hint in such different directions, and Jon doesn't look teg least bit Targaryen. He barely looks Stark! So basically I am basing my entire theory on what Kit Harington looks like (also not for nothing, but Renly and Stannis and Jon are /were the most attractive men on the show, Jaime excepted )

That is why the maesters have the test of the candle. It's a test of the cycle. There was a time when they knew if someone could light the candle then the cycle had reached a phase where all sorts of things were about to manifest. But it's been so long that even the maesters have forgotten

Your theory is complex and it is too early for my little uncaffeinated brain to fathom. So my question is-- what is the candle test? I don't remember this from the books. Granted, I got so annoyed with GRRM for all these endless characters and tangents that I'm sure I missed a great deal of info in AFFC and ADWD especially. Edited by Paws
I guess I feel that the book and show hint in such different directions, and Jon doesn't look teg least bit Targaryen. He barely looks Stark! So basically I am basing my entire theory on what Kit Harington looks like

In the books, it actually goes on at length about how much Jon looks just like Ned (which is part of what fuels Cat's enmity towards him). But when you cast a TV show you sometimes need to compromise on how a character looks, because unless you cast a blood relative of Sean Bean you're not going to get the same effect. I also think that you need to be willing to pick a better actor, even if it means not having the best physical fit. The show was extremely lucky with both Peter Dinklage and Gwendolyn Christie - both fit the physical description to a tee AND were excellent actors for the part.

Having said that, I always assumed that part of the reason the Targaryens looked the same is because of the centuries of inbreeding. With their weird combination of (presumably) recessive traits - purple eyes, silver hair - I always assumed that any children had with outside bloodlines would look more like the non-Targaryen parent.

In the books, it actually goes on at length about how much Jon looks just like Ned (which is part of what fuels Cat's enmity towards him). But when you cast a TV show you sometimes need to compromise on how a character looks, because unless you cast a blood relative of Sean Bean you're not going to get the same effect. I also think that you need to be willing to pick a better actor, even if it means not having the best physical fit. The show was extremely lucky with both Peter Dinklage and Gwendolyn Christie - both fit the physical description to a tee AND were excellent actors for the part.

Having said that, I always assumed that part of the reason the Targaryens looked the same is because of the centuries of inbreeding. With their weird combination of (presumably) recessive traits - purple eyes, silver hair - I always assumed that any children had with outside bloodlines would look more like the non-Targaryen parent.

Not only does Jon take after the Stark line, he resembles Arya who resembles Lyanna; take this with the blue rose, the "promise me", "honorable" Ned, and the incidents at the Tower of Joy  - there seems to be lots of evidence that Lyanna Stark + Rhaegar Targaryen = Jon Snow.

• Love 2

The only thing that Peter Dinklage has in common with Book Tyrion is his height. He's an awesome actor and can pull off the role but suggesting that he actually fits the physical description of the character described in the book is a hell of an insult, really.

• Love 1

Aren't there people in Dorne who have been known to have purple eyes --- that's why there's speculation that recently discovered Prince Aegon is really the son of Illyrio Mopatis.

EDIT: Because son and sun are NOT the same thing.  :-/

Edited by OakGoblinFly

Rhaegar + Elia led to one Dornish (Rhaenys) and one Targaryen-looking child (Aegon). Prince Baelor also had a Dornish mother and dark hair; IIRC, his brother (Egg's father) and Egg had Targaryen coloring but I only read the first Dunk and Egg short story and can't remember the old Targaryens that well.

Aren't there people in Dorne who have been known to have purple eyes --- that's why there's speculation that recently discovered Prince Aegon is really the son of Illyrio Mopatis.

I've seen it mentioned in Aegon Blackfyre speculation that Lys, where Illyrio's wife was from, is supposed to have people with pale hair and purple eyes. I doubt I'd remember it otherwise, the non-Braavos Free Cities are a blur to me.

Rhaegar + Elia led to one Dornish (Rhaenys) and one Targaryen-looking child (Aegon). Prince Baelor also had a Dornish mother and dark hair; IIRC, his brother (Egg's father) and Egg had Targaryen coloring but I only read the first Dunk and Egg short story and can't remember the old Targaryens that well.

I've seen it mentioned in Aegon Blackfyre speculation that Lys, where Illyrio's wife was from, is supposed to have people with pale hair and purple eyes. I doubt I'd remember it otherwise, the non-Braavos Free Cities are a blur to me.

I think Martin has trained me to be suspect of nearly everything so when he takes great pains to describe the portrait in Illyrio's locket (I think locket) it peaked my curiosity. 

I am curious to hear more of Jon Connington as I think he is probably one of only two people left alive who know the truth of Jon Snow's parentage (the other being Howland Reed).

• Love 2

I'm assuming that if Bran and Jojen and Meera ever make it back home that Howland will reveal all. But I assume that would be the last episode of the series (I'm also assuming the TV. series will outpace the books . May Weiss and Benioff stay healthy!)

Purple eyes area Valyrian trait, which is why the Daynes have had them too.

The Daynes aren't Valyrian. They're descended from the First Men.  Purple eyes and silver hair are more common in but not exclusive to those with Valyrian blood.

I think Martin gave the Daynes that coloring and First Men ancestry to give plausible deniability to Jon in case Jon grew up looking like Rhaegar.  ("Oh, the hair and eyes, uh...yeah, his mother might have been a Dayne, perhaps Ashara Dayne.  Nope, not a Targaryen at all.")

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

The test of the candle is the last event in the training of a novice before they become a full maester. They are locked in a closed room with candles made from glass. Obsidian i think, but i'm not sure. If they can't light a glass candle, they're stuck in the dark. Supposedly it's to show that knowledge has a limit but i think that's because they have forgotten the original purpose which was to reveal psychic powers.

I also think that obsidian is special (at least when it comes to fighting zombies) because it contains some signature of the energy of its creation.

• Love 1

The synopses for epis 3 and 4 don't mention anything about Sansa so it looks like we'll have to wait till at least epi 5 to see how her flight plays out.  I certainly hope we don't have to wait till epi 7 (Mockingbird).  Can anyone confirm if they've heard anything about Sansa's storyline? 

I could swear that I saw Sansa and Dontos in the previews for episode three, so I think we should be getting some immediate follow-up on Sunday. Maybe it will end with the reveal that Petyr is behind her rescue and then we won't visit them again until they get to the Vale.

• Love 1

Yes, the preview shows them escaping (Sansa has the same cloak as in a couple of trailer shots). Turner and Gillen also filmed in Iceland so I think they'll visit the Fingers before arriving in Vale for the wedding in Mockingbird.

The Daynes aren't Valyrian. They're descended from the First Men.  Purple eyes and silver hair are more common in but not exclusive to those with Valyrian blood.

I think Martin gave the Daynes that coloring and First Men ancestry to give plausible deniability to Jon in case Jon grew up looking like Rhaegar.  ("Oh, the hair and eyes, uh...yeah, his mother might have been a Dayne, perhaps Ashara Dayne.  Nope, not a Targaryen at all.")

Ooops! You speak of Daynes (plural), but I cannot recall Ser Arthur Dayne being described with purple eyes or silver hair. And Edric Dayne either. Which are the only Daynes that were mentioned/ appeared besides Lady Ashara in the 5 books so far. Am I missing something?

The only reason I ask is because I definitely saw it as you, Ashara was given the purple eyes and blond silver hair in Ser Barristan's memories from ADwD, exactly for Jon's parentage red herring. Which is only emphasized in my opinion, if she was the only Dayne to have that coloring. If the whole House had it, well I would not make so much out of it and I'd still hold out hope to have Jon as Ned and Ashara's son.

LOL I know, I am an odd bird, but I really want Jon to be Ned's son. I think for Jon it would be hard to take the news that he's only his nephew, and suffered Cat's wrath for so long for something that could have easily been clarified in a small secret family council.

LOL I know, I am an odd bird, but I really want Jon to be Ned's son. I think for Jon it would be hard to take the news that he's only his nephew, and suffered Cat's wrath for so long for something that could have easily been clarified in a small secret family council.

No, I get that, too.  Like, as much as Ned was a really trusting guy, it's kind of sad to think of how much trouble may have come from the fact that he didn't trust his own wife.  Then again, he didn't trust his daughters enough to tell them what was really going on in King's Landing, and that caused significantly more trouble for all of them, so it wouldn't exactly be out of character.

Ashara had dark hair and purple eyes.  

Edric has pale blond/ash hair with dark blue eyes that sometimes look purple.  

Darkstar (Gerold) has silver hair with one black streak and purple eyes.

Offhand I can't find a description for Arthur.

The silver/purple combination is possible for someone in House Dayne.

• Love 1

WiC is posting an ABC interview with George, 3 minutes long, not much new, but, this:

George R.R. Martin was interviewed last night on ABC World News as their Person of the Week.

The A Song of Ice and Fire author answers fan questions about his inspirations for King’s Landing, and the villainous Joffrey. He talks about writing strong female characters, and says that if he could play any character it would be the classic hero, Jon Snow. He also reveals that although his pilot cameo ended up on the cutting room floor, we can expect to see him on screen before the show’s end.

Wyman Manderley, anybody?

Ashara had dark hair and purple eyes.  

Edric has pale blond/ash hair with dark blue eyes that sometimes look purple.  

Darkstar (Gerold) has silver hair with one black streak and purple eyes.

Offhand I can't find a description for Arthur.

The silver/purple combination is possible for someone in House Dayne.

Thanks GreyBunny for taking the time to post them! I could not for the life of me remember any other description of the Daynes. Frankly of Darkstar, besides his charging at Myrcella and slicing off her ear, all I could remember was his "I am of the night" line. And I completely wrote him off as being a Dayne! LOL

• Love 1

^^  Yes, I agree.  And when I watch GRRM do interviews, he always seems quite self-conscious, even somewhat uncomfortable.  So, unless he's taking secret acting lessons we don't know about, it'd be a stretch.

Thanks GreyBunny for taking the time to post them! I could not for the life of me remember any other description of the Daynes. Frankly of Darkstar, besides his charging at Myrcella and slicing off her ear, all I could remember was his "I am of the night" line. And I completely wrote him off as being a Dayne! LOL

Dorkstar is such a drip I want to put him in House Frey!

I'd guess that Martin will probably be Unknown Extra #3 but if he's cast as Manderly I'd love it.  I'd love it more if he were the Yellow Whale.  

Having read the books and the sample chapters for The Winds of Winter, I wonder whether Arya makes it to Essos in the tv show.

She isn't interacting with anyone from the main cast when training with the Faceless Men, meaning extra sets and supporting actors for the show. Also, her kill from the last sample chapter has alteady happened in the show, kind of.

I speculate they keep Arya travelling with Sandor, and learning from him instead of the Faceless Men. He will offer to bring her to the wall, to Jon Snow. Depending on Sandor's future role he will die early in season 5.

I speculate they keep Arya travelling with Sandor, and learning from him instead of the Faceless Men. He will offer to bring her to the wall, to Jon Snow.

So no magic (other than maybe warging) for her, then? I dunno; I guess it depends on what's going to happen with her in the last two. She mentioned last episode that she wants to go to Bravos to see J'oqen.

Depending on Sandor's future role he will die early in season 5.

By "die" you mean his off-screen death that totally wasn't a real death?

So no magic (other than maybe warging) for her, then? I dunno; I guess it depends on what's going to happen with her in the last two. She mentioned last episode that she wants to go to Bravos to see J'oqen.

By "die" you mean his off-screen death that totally wasn't a real death?

I know the Quiet Isle theory and it gives a nice ending to the Hound, but the tv show needs to streamline and won't have time for that.

I also wonder about the Jeyne Poole as Fake Arya storyline, which is necessary for Mance to sneak into Winterfell and Theon to get his act together and escape.

If they keep Arya travelling with the Hound for a while longer, and have him "die" any way that fits, Arya could take the Fake Arya spot (they can't show all of it explicitly anyway) and Theon could save her. Also, Melisandre's vision about a girl on a horse could be kept, cutting Alys Karstark.

That would be quite a change considering the hints that Arya may end up a far more powerful mindrider than her brothers. Remember she saw her mother's body when she was much further away from her wolf than her bothers ever were, and she doesn't even know her wolf is still alive. Also, there was the incident with the cat. I think that's potentially a bigger departure from the books than her not becoming a ninja/facechanger.

That would be quite a change considering the hints that Arya may end up a far more powerful mindrider than her brothers. Remember she saw her mother's body when she was much further away from her wolf than her bothers ever were, and she doesn't even know her wolf is still alive. Also, there was the incident with the cat. I think that's potentially a bigger departure from the books than her not becoming a ninja/facechanger.

Agree with it being a bigger departure, but if AFfC and ADwD are covered in season 5, something needs to be streamlined.

A fake Arya is needed, and reintroducing Jeyne Poole will confuse the tv audience. So I guess her part will be taken by Arya or Yara/Asha.

I don't know why it would confuse the audience.  We know Ramsey is a liar and a psychopath.  He may even try to pass off his other girlfriend (the one that didn't end up as dog chow) as Arya.  It doesn't even have to be someone we've seen before.  

I really doubt the writers will cut out Arya's training in Braavos.  The unspoiled even think her path will inevitably lead there.  (Although they also think she'll find Jaquen again.)

Edited by Haleth

Agree with it being a bigger departure, but if AFfC and ADwD are covered in season 5, something needs to be streamlined.

Is there reason to believe that both books will be covered in Season 5? With GRRM taking so long to get the next books out, I would think they'd want to delay. I had assumed Seasons 5-6 would be books 4-5, but interwoven since the timelines line up anyway.

Is there reason to believe that both books will be covered in Season 5? With GRRM taking so long to get the next books out, I would think they'd want to delay. I had assumed Seasons 5-6 would be books 4-5, but interwoven since the timelines line up anyway.

If I understood the latest announcements by HBO correctly, GoT will end after seven seasons. Unless they want to leave the series unfinished, they need to streamline.

And unless they want to turn the series into a food and travel guide there is plenty to be cut.

If I understood the latest announcements by HBO correctly, GoT will end after seven seasons. Unless they want to leave the series unfinished, they need to streamline.

Seriously? How are they going to pull that off? There's no way book 7 will be out by the time they need to film Season 7.

GRRM has already told the showrunners where each character ends, it's just a question of whether they follow the same route or not, depending on whether he has published 1, both or neither of the books in time. However, they def know the ending already.

I didi think it was really funny when GRRM was suggesting how the show wouldn't catch up to his books, by spending THREE seasons on books 4-5, to which I say said HELL NO. Then HBO came out with the 7 season cap. I'm so glad they are going to slash and burn those books. 

I didi think it was really funny when GRRM was suggesting how the show wouldn't catch up to his books, by spending THREE seasons on books 4-5, to which I say said HELL NO. Then HBO came out with the 7 season cap. I'm so glad they are going to slash and burn those books. 

I don't think HBO themselves came up with any kind of cap (why would they GoT is a massive cash cow for them and they will milk it and milk it). The showrunners have posited the idea of 7-8 seasons saying that if it ended on 7 seasons it would fit nicely into the ASOIAF world: 7 Kingdoms, 7 Gods etc etc, I'm pretty sure 7 seasons isn't set in stone though. At one point they kept saying "when we're done, GoT will be like an 80 hour movie" which suggests they were leaning towards 8 seasons. However, they have stated categorically that they wouldn't want to go to 10 seasons or anything like. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I didi think it was really funny when GRRM was suggesting how the show wouldn't catch up to his books, by spending THREE seasons on books 4-5, to which I say said HELL NO.

Oh wow, we'd have 5 solid episodes of Brienne doing her "Sansa on the side of a milk carton" routine.  Pass.

• Love 1