Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Gander? Was that the name of the airport or town?

It's both.  Gander used to be the airport almost all transatlantic flights stopped at to refuel before heading out across the ocean.  Not so much anymore of course but an airport that once again came into its own on 9/11.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"cheat-opoly"
At last I have a relatively non-triggering term for how my sister played games, which has soured me on them to this day

That's too bad. My pal & I didn't understand mortgages so we took the big bucks & repaid just the one monthly payment...or something like that... it's been decades. We knew it wasn't quite right (😁) but it made the game fun (& easy to win!)

• Like 2

My family played a lot of euchre for a period of time - when we kids were a bit older and before all my nieces and nephews arrived.  They had no patience for the adults sitting down at the card tables!  We always used to play euchre after Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners and after Sunday supper.  

11 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

My family played Scrabble

It's Thanksgiving tradition for my mom and I to play Scrabble.  I also play on my computer most days.

Nearly every time we played Life, my dad landed on the spot that made him spend big bucks to buy horses, so to this day if any of us sees/hears that game referenced, we say, "I don't want to buy any damn horses!"

We also call the Murder, She Wrote game "Just as I suspected", as that's what my best friend said, in a hilariously serious tone, upon a clue being revealed.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

That's too bad. My pal & I didn't understand mortgages so we took the big bucks & repaid just the one monthly payment...or something like that... it's been decades. We knew it wasn't quite right (😁) but it made the game fun (& easy to win!)

We always played by the rules but when I first played Monopoly with my husband   he told me that in his family they always put the money from taxes and utilities into a Free Parking kitty instead of the bank.  It's definitely a cheat but one I embraced wholeheartedly 😄.

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 5
  • Wink 1
16 minutes ago, Dimity said:

We always played by the rules but when I first played Monopoly with my husband   he told me that in his family they always put the money from taxes and utilities into a Free Parking kitty instead of the bank.  It's definitely a cheat but one I embraced wholeheartedly 😄.

In my family, the official rules to Monopoly just like the official rules of Uno went straight into the trash. Really any board game to be honest. One of us read the rules the first time we played, and then we improvised. And, you cannot keep the rules once you go down that route or what is supposed to be a fun family game becomes a shouting match.

The only exception to this is when the pinochle deck gets brought out. 

We always played Scrabble with the normal rules.  Once we went over to a friend's house, and they played with some insane rule, where double and triple letters got counted twice (when your new word linked with another word).  You would uncover an already placed tile and count the letter double or triple.  This was just madness.  They insisted these were the actual official rules.  I couldn't keep up with the counting. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2

The Come From Away Book is titled The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland.  The author is Jim DeFede.  There's a second edition which provides updated information on several of the people featured in the book.  It's a great read - highly recommended!

• Thanks 3
  • Useful 4

My family was always "by the rules" game players. But I guess my sister would find exceptions? I was the youngest and just knew that with Monopoly, as long as only bought the cheaper properties, there would be no objections. I didn't get any clue as to what was really happening until I was about 20 and visiting my sister and her first husband; we were playing one of those games with countries, and all of the sudden her DH scooped up the game and took it out to the dumpster because she was cheating. More trauma for me. 

I have a few positive game playing memories:
I vaguely recall enjoying being included in games of hearts in college. 
And Dad taught me to play chess at age 4 or 5. 
And my ex and I actually enjoyed playing Connect 4. 

But this past week when my condo neighbors had a euchre game I stayed away. 
The obnoxious guy was there, I don't know euchre (although I'm sure I could pick it up), and the clubhouse is poorly ventilated and Covid is going around here.
Regardless of all that, I have piriformis syndrome (pain in the butt if I sit for more than 10 minutes).

I do appreciate the NYT games comments interaction.
And with all those games, you're just competing with yourself. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dimity said:

We did that, too.  I didn't even know it wasn't an official rule until I was in my 20s and played with a non-family member.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I have to add something really funny to the Scrabble story above.  The people we were visiting were Shabbos observers, and it was a Friday night.  So we could not write down our scores but instead had to remember them and add in our heads! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Wow. We were just two 10-11 year old goofy girls, creating our own "mortgage system" when we didn't even know what a mortgage was (but, we had an idea that what we were doing wasn't quite legit 😄). I had no idea that older people changed the rules of games. But then, ever since those childhood days, I've lost interest in board games--no idea why. My game, on my phone, is Solitaire (the "classic" one). I think peacheslatour plays it as well (where is peacheslatour??) 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 4

One thing I learned early in life, thanks to board games, is that the banker seems to have an unfair advantage and if the banker is my brother the banker always wins.

10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

. I think peacheslatour plays it as well (where is peachesatour??) 

I haven't noticed her comment here in months.  Hope she's all right!

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Dimity said:

One thing I learned early in life, thanks to board games, is that the banker seems to have an unfair advantage and if the banker is my brother the banker always wins.

I haven't noticed her comment here in months.  Hope she's all right!

We asked after peaches a while ago and she said she was taking time away from the boards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 2

I remember babysitting for a 5 year old kid new to our neighborhood. We were playing Chutes and Ladders and he had a screaming tantrum because I assumed he would go down the chute when he landed there. Apparently the rule in his family was that he got a re-do for anything adverse. But only him! He told me if I landed there, I had to go down the chute. I was raised to play by the rules, that you can't win every time, and whether you win or lose, you are expected to be a good sport about it. Isn't that what games, whether board games or games on the playground, are supposed to teach kids?  Especially these games created for younger children?  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
23 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I remember babysitting for a 5 year old kid new to our neighborhood. We were playing Chutes and Ladders and he had a screaming tantrum because I assumed he would go down the chute when he landed there. Apparently the rule in his family was that he got a re-do for anything adverse. But only him! He told me if I landed there, I had to go down the chute. I was raised to play by the rules, that you can't win every time, and whether you win or lose, you are expected to be a good sport about it. Isn't that what games, whether board games or games on the playground, are supposed to teach kids?  Especially these games created for younger children?  

Isn't 5 kinda young for Chutes & Ladders? I remember playing that game and not being happy each time I had to slide down the chute (& I was maybe 9 at the time).

50 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Chutes and Ladders

Snakes and Ladders.  Snakes.

Apparently kids are too damned delicate and the mention of snakes scares them? 

• LOL 4
26 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Isn't 5 kinda young for Chutes & Ladders? I remember playing that game and not being happy each time I had to slide down the chute (& I was maybe 9 at the time).

I think Chutes and Ladders tops out at about six. 

• Like 6

Isn't the point of Snakes and Ladders that it is entirely based in luck, not skill, so the youngest player is just as likely to win as the oldest?  Then little kids can learn to win and lose graciously.  

• Like 6
(edited)

Reminds me of a quote from Jean Kerr (totally paraphrased) "if a child can count there is no way you can fix an Uncle Wiggly game.  You play for two hours and then god help you you win".

14 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think Chutes and Ladders tops out at about six. 

I think actually that's about the age kids start playing it.  Some may be a bit younger but most kids are counting well enough on their own by that age that they can play the game without adults helping them.

Edited by Dimity
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

So we could not write down our scores but instead had to remember them and add in our heads! 

Why is this? Why  is using pen and paper prohibited on the Sabbath?

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My family was always "by the rules" game players. But I guess my sister would find exceptions? I was the youngest and just knew that with Monopoly, as long as only bought the cheaper properties, there would be no objections. I didn't get any clue as to what was really happening until I was about 20 and visiting my sister and her first husband; we were playing one of those games with countries, and all of the sudden her DH scooped up the game and took it out to the dumpster because she was cheating. More trauma for me. 

I have a few positive game playing memories:
I vaguely recall enjoying being included in games of hearts in college. 
And Dad taught me to play chess at age 4 or 5. 
And my ex and I actually enjoyed playing Connect 4. 

But this past week when my condo neighbors had a euchre game I stayed away. 
The obnoxious guy was there, I don't know euchre (although I'm sure I could pick it up), and the clubhouse is poorly ventilated and Covid is going around here.
Regardless of all that, I have piriformis syndrome (pain in the butt if I sit for more than 10 minutes).

I do appreciate the NYT games comments interaction.
And with all those games, you're just competing with yourself. 

Out of all my games, I love Canasta the best.  We always played partners which took the pressure off.  It was also a feast of wine, and all kinds of cookies.  My husband plays Poker every Wednesday.  He did good last week .. he gave me a hundred bucks.

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Why is this? Why  is using pen and paper prohibited on the Sabbath?

The short answer is writing is work.  But it’s more complex. You can’t light fires or extinguish them. So you can’t turn electric lights on or off.  You can’t ride or drive. Therefore Orthodox Jews live near their synagogues so they can walk on Saturday   It’s all very complex and based on rabbinical interpretations of certain Torah provisions.  I was not raised religious so I am not prepared to explain in detail. 

• Like 4
Just now, fairffaxx said:

Is it true that you're not supposed to push elevator buttons either?

Yes. That would be making an electric current travel.  In hospitals they switch one elevator to sabbath mode where it stops at every floor. so visitors can ride up and down.  It’s an exemption to ride in the elevator for visiting the sick.  Most religious Jews will only live on low floors so they don’t have to ride an elevator on Shabbos. 
Fun fact:  I used to own a first floor coop. When we sold I sought out religious buyers and sold to a religious elderly widow. 

People also turn off their refrigerator light by taping the button in for the weekend. Now many refrigerators come with a sabbath mode where you can set the light to remain off n

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The short answer is writing is work.  But it’s more complex. You can’t light fires or extinguish them. So you can’t turn electric lights on or off.  You can’t ride or drive. Therefore Orthodox Jews live near their synagogues so they can walk on Saturday   It’s all very complex and based on rabbinical interpretations of certain Torah provisions.  I was not raised religious so I am not prepared to explain in detail. 

Yes, I knew all of what you explained, except for the writing. I wondered whether it would be considered 'work', as you said, and therefore prohibited, but figured if you were playing a game, the writing down scores wouldn't be considered work. Guess I was wrong.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ECM1231 said:

Yes, I knew all of what you explained, except for the writing. I wondered whether it would be considered 'work', as you said, and therefore prohibited, but figured if you were playing a game, the writing down scores wouldn't be considered work. Guess I was wrong.

It’s not just work qua work but I think it’s also in a category of prohibited things that alter the materials. Like rubbing the pencil down. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
14 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Many newer appliances have "Sabbath" mode settings.

https://www.donsappliances.com/blog/sabbath-mode-appliances

re: "communications" major:  it's not JUST journalism.  It can include PR and design.  The University of Waterloo's department offers two majors:  Communications Studies, which I guess is like journalism and Communications Arts (more graphic design)

Nearby (Wilfred) Laurier's communications program is more business focused and includes a direct entry MBA program.  

In the US, the program at Northwestern doesn't look like it's necessarily a journalism program either.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

I was started playing games early in age. My Mother used to host Bridge parties. So I played Bridge and Spades with friends who didn’t. Later I had a group of friends that loved the game Risk. Now that I’m older I belong to a mahjong club. I still love playing most games and am a firm believer in good sportsmanship. 

• Like 8
38 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I still love playing most games and am a firm believer in good sportsmanship

And people agreeing to a different set of rules doesn't in and of itself negate good sportsmanship. 
I'm sure many games with origins old enough such that rules were initially unwritten, do have different sets of rules based upon the geographic location of where they're played.
It's when one or more person bullies others into a rule change/exception mid-game that the game is no longer fun and no longer serves the purpose to enrich relationships, like:

14 hours ago, Calvada said:

or with my sister.

Of course, when playing a game with Mom when she was almost in hospice care, I would not try as hard, but, honestly, I'm just not that good at Scrabble.
I get hung up in the math of the best play and whether or not to use a letter or keep it for a better opportunity.
Fortunately I've never served on a jury, which would inevitably be a hung jury because of me.

It's been a few decades, but I think when I was playing a game with a child, I would sometimes say "Are you sure you want to do that?"
And then if they did it anyway, they would learn why I questioned it.
I guess those parents were going for the same teachable moment, but they took a very unfortunate shortcut. 
Although, I guess with chutes/snakes and ladders, there really isn't an strategy. Maybe if you babysat him frequently, you could suggest playing by Calvada Rules, in which the loser gets to choose the flavor of ice cream.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5

Geez...I'm up at the crack of dawn (9 AM-ish) waiting for people to pick up those big fans when one has had water damage). So I put on the TV & found a very old show on ME TV: "The greatest characters & cartoons produced at Warner Bros legendary Termite Terrace". Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc. These are the best! In one segment, a big mouse takes us on a tour of a store. Various items pop up and dance to a tune (e g., the rubber bands jump out of their box and start playing musical instruments 😆).  No idea when these were created...1940s? The music is from that era. These cartoon creators were so witty & clever.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2024 at 11:13 PM, Yeah No said:

I've written here recently about my long lost Long Island girlfriend that dropped out of my life in 2021 with no explanation. I also talked about how when I wish her a happy birthday on Facebook she always responds to thank me and says she misses me and will call me "soon" but it never happens.

Well, my birthday was last week and one day my husband and I went down to Yonkers, NY to our favorite red sauce restaurant to meet up with his sister and her husband and my best friend of 51 years. It's a small family run place that we have been going to for decades to celebrate special occasions. I guess I was feeling sad about things because while the place is great and I love it, it also reminds me of my Dad and my absent girlfriend because she used to join us there. In keeping with our usual tradition, my sister in law asked the waitress to take a group photo of us at the table, which she then posted on Facebook. So this morning I sent the photo via Facebook private messaging to my long lost girlfriend and wrote, "The only person missing was you". 

Ten minutes later my husband called me from the road for an update since he was working today. After I hung up I saw that she had called me, although she left no voicemail. I called her right back and told her I'd love to talk with her, but it's over 12 hours later and I still haven't heard back from her. I somehow don't think I will.

I had told her in my birthday message to her about the two cruises I was going on and how I'd love to talk with her about them. She was always an avid cruiser and had actually taught me a lot about them before I ever went on one. So I know she really loves talking about it. She was one of those people always telling me I should go on one and how much I'd love it, etc., etc. But despite all that still don't have much hope that she will call me back.

Anyway, that put me in a sad mood today I must admit.  I managed to overcome it a little bit by throwing myself into housework and calling another friend, but it's still on my mind. 😢

Here’s my story about friends.  My friend on the block for over 40:years   We grew up our kids together, and went to dinner wihh the husbands.  A few years ago, everything came to a halt.  If I call her in the morning, her husband said she was shopping.  No more lunches, less phone calls, and getting together with the husbans.  I recently found out she goes to the race track in the morning, drinks during the day a lot, and is always out and about doing her thing.  I’m a homebody by choice and and do none of those things.  Besides, she’s loaded with money from inheritances.  So, I think there’s always a reason why friends fade away.  It’s a shame, but that’s life.  Sounds like you are overdoing it.  She may have a secret.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Geez...I'm up at the crack of dawn (9 AM-ish) waiting for people to pick up those big fans when one has had water damage). So I put on the TV & found a very old show on ME TV: "The greatest characters & cartoons produced at Warner Bros legendary Termite Terrace". Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc. These are the best! In one segment, a big mouse takes us on a tour of a store. Various items pop up and dance to a tune (e g., the rubber bands jump out of their box and start playing musical instruments 😆).  No idea when these were created...1940s? The music is from that era. These cartoon creators were so witty & clever.

I’ve been watching the upper channels.  Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin movies, the East End Kids, murder She Wrote, Columbo, etc and others.  Grease was on this morning.

• Like 2

I'm the least competitive person in the world, and I don't enjoy suspense.  I still remember feeling terrible whenever I'd beat my little brother in Monopoly.

I'm no good at chess because I don't like playing the long game.  But I was playing once with a boyfriend and I realized I was going to win, and I literally couldn't believe it.  I'd make my move, then go into the kitchen pretending to get something, to jump up and down at the miracle that was unfolding.  I'll (obviously) never forget it.

I'm pretty good at Scrabble, but I don't love the format.  I had a friend who was so cut-throat that nobody would ever play with her, but I would because I didn't care if I lost.  But it was really just a favor to her.  And I'd feel only a little bit bad when I'd win.  😀

Then some friends were playing Bananagrams, and it was fun.  Like Scrabble but without the pressure, because everybody's building their own word combinations, and everybody can see everybody else's.  One thing I never liked about Scrabble was sitting there waiting during the other person's turn; with Bananagrams, everybody's busy all the time.  And I just realized that I don't like being watched, and with Banangrams you just lay out your words and people might be watching and they might not. 

Mr. Outlier and I play it like once a year, using Scrabble tiles (which are a  slightly different distribution, but close enough).  It's fun because we can comment on each other's diagram during play, and even give help because everything is out in the open.  It's still a competition, because somebody finishes first, but it's more of a friendly competition, and can even be collaborative-ish.

Then again, I've never played it with my Scrabble-fiend friend. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

I’ve been watching the upper channels.  Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin movies, the East End Kids, murder She Wrote, Columbo, etc and others.  Grease was on this morning.

Are the East End kids the same as the Bowery Boys (Mugs & pals)? I remember watching those old movies back in the day. My favorite was when they went to an old house in upstate NY that was *supposed* to be haunted.

(edited)
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are the East End kids the same as the Bowery Boys (Mugs & pals)? I remember watching those old movies back in the day. My favorite was when they went to an old house in upstate NY that was *supposed* to be haunted.

Yes. They showed that haunted one a couple of weeks ago on TCM. It was Leo Gorcey day. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes. They showed that haunted one a couple of weeks ago on TCM. It was Leo Gorcey day. 

I just looked up the Bowery Boys. That whole "series" started out as The Dead End Kids. Then they became the East Side Kids. Then it became The Bowery Boys. Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, Bobby Jordan, etc. The movies were adapted for TV in 1960. For some reason, I thought Gorcey's character was called Mugs.

• Like 2
On 9/13/2024 at 4:34 PM, Calvada said:

The Come From Away Book is titled The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland.  The author is Jim DeFede.  There's a second edition which provides updated information on several of the people featured in the book.  It's a great read - highly recommended!

Yes that is the book.   While reading it I became really invested in the passenger's stories.  Some of those passengers are still friends to this day.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2024 at 10:17 AM, Dimity said:

My paternal side of the family is from Newfoundland and what happened there is totally what I would expect.  No one came into my grandmother's house and left hungry.   Scholarships were set up for local high school students by some of the stranded passengers in appreciation for the way the locals welcomed them and took care of them.

That's awesome. I remember hearing about Canada's efforts on that day and yeah, much appreciation and  thanks to the good people up that way who looked out for passengers and helped keep them safe. It's stories like that that prove why I still have faith in humanity. 

Regarding 9/11. I was 16 at the time, would turn 17 the next month, and I was in my eleventh grade math class at the time. Class didn't strart until 9 am, but I usually got to school by close to 8:30, so I'd just go hang out in my math class for the half hour beforehand. Lots of kids did - we all liked the teacher and he would have music playing sometimes and so we'd just chill there when we had the opportunity, catch up on any homework or just sit and read or talk or whatever. 

So I was sitting there and some other kids started coming in and they were all talking, and I caught snippets of their conversation, and they were talking about a plane having hit the World Trade Center. I had just been to New York CIty in April of that year with my school choir for a trip, and the towers were in literally almost EVERY SINGLE PHOTO we took while traveling around the city, you really could not escape them*. So my first reaction was, "...wait, that's in New York, oh, my god, we were just there! Wow, that's awful." I thought it was a freak accident. 

Then more people came in and I started hearing about a second plane hitting, and I knew it couldn't be a freak accident by that point, but the idea of a terrorist attack didn't hit me - the only other terrorist attack I remember seeing in the news before then was the Oklahoma City bombing, and that was domestic, and I was ten at the time that happened, so I was too young to really fully understand the whole "terrorism" thing in that instance and all that, and so the idea of that being the case here just didn't register. Plus, I hadn't seen or heard any news reports yet, either, hadn't heard about the Pentagon attack and all that, I was just going off of the bits of information my classmates were sharing, so I didn't realize yet just how bad it was. So I really didn't know what to think or make of any of it. 

Then at 9 am our principal came on the intercom and was like, "Well, I guess by now you've all heard about what happened..." and I'm sitting there still confused. She told the teachers to turn on their radios or TVs, and so my teacher turned on his radio, and that's when I first heard the full extent of what was going on. I remember just staring at the radio in shock. 

It wasn't until I got to my next class, which was drama, that I got to actually see the news footage, 'cause that teacher had the TV on, and I think by then both towns had collapsed and they were just reairing the footage of that happening, and I saw all the dust and people running and screaming and everything. And that's how I spent most of the rest of the day, just going from class to class listening to or watching the news. 

Then when I was in gym class, we'd already scheduled it where we were going to take a walk through a path near the school, and it was such a quiet walk and I remember the weather being absolutely gorgeous and just looking at the blue sky and sun and being like, "This feels weird." Somebody who lived across the street saw our class walking by and she came outside and told us that the president had been flown to the air force base in Omaha. The town I was living in here in Iowa was only a few short hours' drive from Omaha, so when I heard that, that's when the fear really hit and sank in and I was thinking, "...so...what does that mean?" 

And then I came home and the rest of the week was just spent basically just processing the aftermath of everything. 

*We had a whole section in our tenth grade yearbook about our trip to New York CIty, complete with all our photos. Made for a REALLY eerie thing to look at later that year. 

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
20 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

On the other hand:  if I had to do math in my head, that would definitely be work for me (of course, it's work with pencil & paper too).  Good thing I'm not Jewish! 

Only Orthodox Jewish people observe some of these sabbath customs.  Our family isn't Orthodox Jewish so we don't.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2024 at 11:11 AM, bluegirl147 said:

Earlier this year I read book, who's name escapes me, about the flights that were diverted to this little town in Canada and how the passengers and crew had to stay there for a little while.

The book is The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland .

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Only Orthodox Jewish people observe some of these sabbath customs.  Our family isn't Orthodox Jewish so we don't.

Yes that was the point of my original post. The family we were visiting is orthodox. But I know some conservative Jews who also observe Shabbos as strictly.  But they don’t sit separately in shul, and so on. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yep.  That’s them.  A good on is Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.  They help this girl go to Cuba to this haunted Mansion where they encounter Zombies.  I think they are on Cozy TV in the morning.  It on a Colombo channel.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just looked up the Bowery Boys. That whole "series" started out as The Dead End Kids. Then they became the East Side Kids. Then it became The Bowery Boys. Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, Bobby Jordan, etc. The movies were adapted for TV in 1960. For some reason, I thought Gorcey's character was called Mugs.

Wow.  You did your homework.  Some of the black n whites are hard to watch.

• Like 3

There might be a better place to ask this, but let me start here...  Does anyone have a go-to app or website that shows tv listings, that's usable on a small iPhone?  I was using TitanTV.com in a browser, but they recently "upgraded" and now it's pretty much unusable on my phone.

My priorities are being able to show the max amount of information on the screen - preferably a 6-hour window, ability to pick lineups for broadcast/cable/YTTV, ideally being able to use without an account but still have it remember my preferences.

TitanTV did all that until a few days ago.  It's now not as good but still usable on a desktop, but useless on my phone.  Before that, I had used Zap2it, but moved away when it "upgraded" and lost all the features I wanted.  I may go check that out again...

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

There might be a better place to ask this, but let me start here...  Does anyone have a go-to app or website that shows tv listings, that's usable on a small iPhone?  I was using TitanTV.com in a browser, but they recently "upgraded" and now it's pretty much unusable on my phone.

My priorities are being able to show the max amount of information on the screen - preferably a 6-hour window, ability to pick lineups for broadcast/cable/YTTV, ideally being able to use without an account but still have it remember my preferences.

TitanTV did all that until a few days ago.  It's now not as good but still usable on a desktop, but useless on my phone.  Before that, I had used Zap2it, but moved away when it "upgraded" and lost all the features I wanted.  I may go check that out again...

I just switched to ontvtonight.com/guide
You can choose 3 or 6 hours.
Clicking on a show opens in a new window.

TitanTV, Zap2it, and Yahoo just started showing the wrong station numbers, which makes them sort out of order, which made them kind of unusable to me too. Maybe that's part of the "upgrade" too?