Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Edible Complex

• Start Topic

The Yellowjackets barely made it through summer in the woods, but now as winter begins to bite, we’ll see if hunger and desperation turn into full-on psychosis. While there may or may not be a dark and powerful force inhabiting the wilderness, their survival could depend upon what they choose to believe. Meanwhile, twenty-five years later, each survivor must ask themselves – Is the darkness coming for them, or is it coming from them?

Original air date: March 31, 2023 (streaming) / April 2, 2023 (Showtime)

• Like 2

I read episode 2 was supposed to be crazy, but holy shit, I wasn't expecting this level of crazy. 😳😳😳

I don't even know where to start. 

Nat staging Javi's death is going to blow up in her face if/when the kid turns up alive.

Akilah was right about the jacket. It's asinine to let a warm piece of clothing go to waste when Jackie certainly didn't need it anymore. 

So many wtf moments. Tai almost going over the cliff. Sammy not really being at the house. The guy in the bar flirting with Callie turning out to be a detective. The spirits or wilderness or whatever extinguishing Jackie's cremation. Which leads me to....I damn near fell off the couch at the sight of Jackie's burned corpse. The way they interspersed the Roman-style banquet with the girls gorging on their teammate, omg. I'm really interested to hear the writers interpretation on that. 

I'm also wondering if the survivors didn't experience some sort of collective psychotic break. I know they were hungry but it didn't seem like it was to the point that they acted completely feral. 

Also notable that Nat mentioned Shauna was seven months pregnant. If she conceived right before they left in May, that puts us in late November/early December, correct? They still have an entire year in the wilderness to go. Yikes. 

• Like 12

I know Shauna was having a total breakdown and that whole thing was very creepy and needed to end, but I still felt horrible for her for the way Tai handled it, screaming at her in front of everyone. Lottie was too far in the other direction, she probably would have let Shauna chill with Jacksicle forever.

LOL at Mari - she was doing her best to become Jackie's BFF early last season, then she turned on Jackie, then she pretended to care enough about Jackie again to get into a fight over her here.

The way the show intercut the scene of them eating Jackie was so well-done and creepy to the max. I don't know how to explain it, but the combination of the two different ways depicted was somehow more horrible than if they had just gone with one or the other.

Interesting that Ben chose not to participate. He didn't try to stop it - I think he gave up on trying to be the responsible adult after he failed to keep Laura Lee from flying the plane - and was maybe a bit tempted himself due to his hunger, but I think mostly he seemed a little freaked out. He's now an outsider in the group in this specific way, so I wonder how that will play out.

I woke up very early to watch this episode, and then went back to sleep after. Yeah, never doing that again. I had some sort of fever dream, being in the cabin with all the girls, and then I was whispering to Shauna that I don't trust any of the girls and hoping that she wouldn't notice that the way I phrased it indicated that I didn't trust her either, and mercifully the alarm woke me up before anyone could start slicing up my skin.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

When Lottie told Natalie what happened with Travis, I couldn't quite tell what was suppposed to be real. Was the button failure story the fake one, but in actuality she saw horrifying visions that made her forget her role in bringing Travis down?  Or in the "real" sequence, did the buttons malfunction and she got distracted by visions before the could figure out another way to get Travis down?

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

When Lottie told Natalie what happened with Travis, I couldn't quite tell what was suppposed to be real. Was the button failure story the fake one, but in actuality she saw horrifying visions that made her forget her role in bringing Travis down?  Or in the "real" sequence, did the buttons malfunction and she got distracted by visions before the could figure out another way to get Travis down?

IMO, Lottie is a liar. She can’t be trusted at all. 

• Like 12
41 minutes ago, AstridM said:

IMO, Lottie is a liar. She can’t be trusted at all. 

Agreed and I think the writers were telling us this during the scene where her acolyte brought the wrong smoothie. The nicey-nice facade slipped real quick. Also, Nat noticing her Rolex. Lottie grew up wealthy and would be used to expensive things, but it's a direct contrast to the "we're all just one with the Earth, nothing in the real world matters" b.s. she spews to keep her followers in line. Like all cult leaders, she's running a con and she's dangerous.

With regards to Travis' death, Lottie's version felt off. There's a recurring theme where none of these characters can be trusted as reliable narrators and for me, this was no different. I think Travis was some sort of sacrifice, not an accidental suicide.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 17
  • Useful 2

Intense episode. And I feel a bit disturbed, seeing people go feral is so strange.

On a side note, if I'm cremating someone, I'm doing it at least 100 yards from the cabin. One, for the smell, and two, it could bring wild animals.

OMG I hate crash scenes, so jarring. Mind you having been run over by an El Camino back in high school doesn't help me with things. Seeing your broken leg bending the absolutely wrong way is something you don't forget.

eta: for more fun...i broke my left leg at the tibia, my left arm by the shoulder, and i got a nice severe concussion at the same time. it was not a pleasant summer, but i did survive so i see that in a positive. i hold no ill feelings for the girl who hit me, as it was a situation of she couldn't see me her in the crosswalk, and i couldn't see her car. just a dumb stupid g-d accident in the situation. in the further...i don't have the best thoughts nowadays....i am not best in dealing with things. i so wish i was.

Edited by Colorado David
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 13
3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The way the show intercut the scene of them eating Jackie was so well-done and creepy to the max. I don't know how to explain it, but the combination of the two different ways depicted was somehow more horrible than if they had just gone with one or the other.

(Yes, I'm quoting myself!) After thinking it over, I think I know why I found this so horrific. The part where we see the girls (and Travis) in the forest is the physical reality of the situation, while the banquet is the psychological/emotional reality that the girls are experiencing. What we see in the former is terrible in that we see the group being like vultures, tearing into the dead body of another human being. What we see in the latter is how much they've psychologically and emotionally distanced themselves from the physical reality, turning it into this celebratory banquet that they are enjoying so much as they dine on their food, forgetting that it's actually human flesh.

(I just imagined Jackie's mother saying, "Jackie was very generous in that way.")

Elijah Wood's character totally has Misty's number, by the by: "the all-too-common sadist." That should be fun. Finally someone who is on Misty's level.

Speaking of such, Misty was right about Shauna and the cops. WTF was Shauna doing giving Kevyn a cover story about filing claims? That's way too easy for him to check! Shauna was lucky Callie put a stop to that interrogation before she could say any other stupid things. But then Callie herself falls for that other detective's trap hook, line, and sinker. It's funny how last season I was so sure that Adam was doing something like that with Shauna, and then he turned out to just be a regular guy, but now that situation actually happens with Shauna's daughter.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Great article where the show runners break down last night's episode. It's lengthy but if you scroll towards the end, they explain the weird Lottie/Travis/Natalie sex scene. It's reminiscent of the Man of Science vs. Man of Faith theme that played out during the course of Lost. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/yellowjackets-season-2-episode-2-cannibalism-dream-sequence-1235363388/

I love this article - so insightful.

• Like 4

Oh god. They need to stop with the Javi fake-outs. That guy called himself Jay, or J, and I pictured reddit freaking out. 

Of course Natalie faked finding his jacket in the wilderness. That's not good. Travis doesn't need false hope, but his brother is still out there somewhere, dead or alive, and that isn't fair to him, either. 

The end was gross, but we knew it was coming. Someone mentioned maenads and Dionysus, the other day, on reddit. Poor coach. 

Where is the dog? I'm glad that Sam was a hallucination, and safe at school. 

Loved Elijah Wood. "What about your nurses? The all-too-common sadist." Ha! 

• Like 7

I assume present day Tai was caffeinating herself to death to try to prevent herself from sleepwalking/committing any more atrocities that she does when she’s in her fugue state? 

I just realized that Jeff wasn’t in this episode at all. Don’t know what to make of that, if anything. 

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Interesting that Ben chose not to participate. He didn't try to stop it - I think he gave up on trying to be the responsible adult after he failed to keep Laura Lee from flying the plane - and was maybe a bit tempted himself due to his hunger, but I think mostly he seemed a little freaked out. He's now an outsider in the group in this specific way, so I wonder how that will play out.

Yeah, he looked horrified, before anything happened. When someone looked at him, I think he was horrified by feeling tempted, and then terrified when the others actually ate her. 

For some reason, I thought it aired at 3am my time. I was awake, but too tired to watch anything and pay attention. I'm glad I didn't watch it, before trying to sleep.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 6
37 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

I assume present day Tai was caffeinating herself to death to try to prevent herself from sleepwalking/committing any more atrocities that she does when she’s in her fugue state? 

I just realized that Jeff wasn’t in this episode at all. Don’t know what to make of that, if anything. 

Yeah, she kept herself awake for days (?), which led to hallucinations. That’s happened to me once and it was crazy. Luckily, I was still lucid enough to know that what I was seeing and hearing weren’t real. But they were there!

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2
35 minutes ago, Anela said:

Yeah, he looked horrified, before anything happened. When someone looked at him, I think he was horrified by feeling tempted, and then terrified when the others actually ate her. 

For some reason, I thought it aired at 3am my time. I was awake, but too tired to watch anything and pay attention. I'm glad I didn't watch it, before trying to sleep.

I don't know what was going on with the streaming. I watched the premiere through the Showtime add-on I have with Prime and it was available Thursday at 9 p.m. (I'm on Pacific Time), however this week I stayed up past midnight and the episode never loaded. I ended up watching it at 1 a.m. through regular cable OnDemand. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Holy cow! That was intense! When "Jackie" sliced her arm I knew what was coming. It was not surprising that Lottie helped Shauna cover her arm. I'm thinking Coach Ben is going to isolated from the group. That really does not bode well for his immediate future.

Shauna did you forget everything Misty taught you?!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing Misty and her fellow citizen detective Elijah Wood working together.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jsm1125 said:

I don't think it means anything. He's a major supporting character, but not one of the mains, and this show has a huge ensemble of characters they have to service. They'll have him in episodes when they have something for him to do, and it's hard to see where he would've had much to do here. Maybe they shot a scene of Shauna updating him on Kevyn's visit and then cut it for time because we already saw the visit for ourselves and so it was an easy scene to cut.

I watch YJ on Hulu, and so far they've been consistent about having each episode available right at midnight eastern at the start of Friday, 9pm Pacific. It would be so much easier if I still lived on the west coast!

Jessica Roberts said last season that she met with Travis; she was the one who brought the expensive bottle of whisky that he didn't drink and left on the kitchen table. So did her visit trigger his freak out? Hmmm.

• Like 7

Shauna talking to Dead Ass Jackie was both sweet and creepy at the same time.  Its interesting how much all the girls are in survival mode and willing to strip dead ass Jackie down pretty quickly considering that she was all their friends and at very least their teammate just a few months ago.

Jackie Roasting over an open fire - Medium Well.  

So the time clock on Coach Ben starts now.

Taissa is hanging on by a thread in post timelines.   Nearly getting herself killed in the woods and dreaming up her kid and getting her wife to come over only to get into a wreck.  

Yeah Callie has gone and confessed to a cop that mom had an affair.

5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Agreed and I think the writers were telling us this during the scene where her acolyte brought the wrong smoothie. The nicey-nice facade slipped real quick. Also, Nat noticing her Rolex. Lottie grew up wealthy and would be used to expensive things, but it's a direct contrast to the "we're all just one with the Earth, nothing in the real world matters" b.s. she spews to keep her followers in line. Like all cult leaders, she's running a con and she's dangerous.

I don't think Lotti is running a con in the purest sense of the word.  She believes what she is saying.  She always has believed what she says.  That doesn't mean that she is the person she thinks she is.    Like Misty I think the only time she really has been at peace was in the woods.  She is trying to recreate that with her cult but its not the same.  

2 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Jeff is a major supporting character.  I just think this episode he wasn't needed and the show is pretty good about not shoving characters into episodes that don't strictly need to be there.   This is mostly about Callie trying to figure out what the hell is going on and unintentionally telling the cops that her mom was at least having an affair not to be mean or anything but because she needed to let it out and she thought a stranger would be the right person to let it out ot. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

The only two things I predicted ahead of time going into this ep was Sammy not really being at Taissa's house--that seemed too fake (even ignoring how much older he suddenly is!) and when they were burning Jackie I thought, you guys, you know that's just having a barbeque, right?

You can't actually cremate a person like that. Cremation ovens are much much much hotter. That's just making hamburgers.

Regardless, I absolutely loved this ep and can't wait to read the article about it. Nat really betrayed Travis' trust with that Javi stunt, even if she had his best interests at heart. Which she probably actually doesn't completely. She wants to get him away from Lottie.

I hope this ep also destroys the theories that that acolyte of Lottie's is the wilderness baby. 

Ben's reaction at the end was really interesting. It reminded me of Jackie herself. She refused to drink the berry wine and eat the stew and was outside the communal mind, now Ben's doing the same thing. 

Elijah made a great entrance. And honestly, it is stupid how nobody's calling Misty back here!

Wtf pooped in the piss can??!!

• Like 13
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Very intense and good episode.

I liked young Lottie until this episode, but she is doing major damage to everyone.

The banquet scene reminded me of The Secret History which was published in the early 90's. There was also a great documentary about The Donner Party put out by Ric Burns circa 1992. The actual Donners who survived supposedly were the only ones not to participate in the cannibalism, so I was glad to see Coach recuse himself. I hope that bodes well for him, but maybe not.

Shauna making that lone hamburger and fussing over it made me a bit queasy. I thought she was going to give it to Callie and who knows if it was just made of hamburger.

Natalie had her own near-death scene. Was that Travis backing out of the room?

• Like 8
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

Elijah made a great entrance. And honestly, it is stupid how nobody's calling Misty back here!

Especially since Misty of all people 

Spoiler

other than Adult Van, who's in spoiler tags because even though we all know she's coming, she hasn't officially appeared

would be the one who could keep Not Tai under control in her basement.  Though it could end up blowing up in Tai's face if Misty gets a little too excited about being her captor...

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I just realized that the reason Tai's probably so harsh to Shauna is that, as Van said, Tai's not the picture of sanity herself. So she thinks by yelling at Shauna to get healthy, she can yell at herself to get it together too. 

• Like 9
14 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I just realized that the reason Tai's probably so harsh to Shauna is that, as Van said, Tai's not the picture of sanity herself. So she thinks by yelling at Shauna to get healthy, she can yell at herself to get it together too. 

Totally understandable. I mostly felt terrible about the fact Tai was yelling that stuff about what Shauna was doing with Jackie's corpse in front of everyone else. Pull her away into the woods and scream at her in private! Tai probably would not appreciate it if Van outed her sleepwalking to everyone in such a fashion.

Speaking of, it's been interesting to see how Van has stepped up with Tai while Shauna's been preoccupied with Jackie. Last season Shauna was the one sleeping upstairs with Tai, while Van stayed below because she felt it was too creepy in the attic. With Shauna no longer spending all her time with Jacksicle, I wonder how things will shift again. I was also struck by the shot where Shauna was in the middle with Tai and Lottie flanking her. We know the latter two don't agree with each other, and we know Natalie also doesn't agree with Lottie, but we've not really seen Teen Natalie and Teen Tai interact thus far.

Shauna said something at Jackie's funeral pyre about not knowing where Jackie ends and she begins. I wonder 25 years later how much that still holds true. Especially given what Shauna's conscience/subconscious-via-Jackie said to her about sleeping with Jeff because it made her feel like she was Jackie. Is that why she ended up marrying him, too? Last season she talked to Tai about what kind of guy she'd imagined she'd get involved with in college, and it wasn't someone like Jeff, it was someone like Adam.

Speaking of college, I noticed that when Callie pretended to be a college student, she chose Rutgers - the college Jackie was going to attend and which she'd assumed Callie's mother would be attending with her.

• Like 9
38 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Totally understandable. I mostly felt terrible about the fact Tai was yelling that stuff about what Shauna was doing with Jackie's corpse in front of everyone else. Pull her away into the woods and scream at her in private! Tai probably would not appreciate it if Van outed her sleepwalking to everyone in such a fashion.

Yeah, that's what was so painful about it. The humiliation of it. And Tai would know that given how she's hiding her problems even in the present day!

Speaking of, it's been interesting to see how Van has stepped up with Tai while Shauna's been preoccupied with Jackie. Last season Shauna was the one sleeping upstairs with Tai, while Van stayed below because she felt it was too creepy in the attic. With Shauna no longer spending all her time with Jacksicle, I wonder how things will shift again. I was also struck by the shot where Shauna was in the middle with Tai and Lottie flanking her. We know the latter two don't agree with each other, and we know Natalie also doesn't agree with Lottie, but we've not really seen Teen Natalie and Teen Tai interact thus far.

That's true--it sort of highlights the different dynamics Tai has with the two women. She and Shauna aren't close the way Tai and Van are, but they have an understanding, especially when it comes to certain crisis issues.

Shauna said something at Jackie's funeral pyre about not knowing where Jackie ends and she begins. I wonder 25 years later how much that still holds true. Especially given what Shauna's conscience/subconscious-via-Jackie said to her about sleeping with Jeff because it made her feel like she was Jackie. Is that why she ended up marrying him, too? Last season she talked to Tai about what kind of guy she'd imagined she'd get involved with in college, and it wasn't someone like Jeff, it was someone like Adam.

It definitely seems like Shauna chose the life she imagined Jackie would have had rather than the one she wanted for herself--and yet Jackie's still haunting her. Or maybe she hasn't haunted her that much, but only shows up when Shauna's doing something that's more about expressing herself. Just like Tai seems to have only started sleepwalking again recently. And in both cases it may have been kicked off by the plane crash coming up again in their lives.

Speaking of college, I noticed that when Callie pretended to be a college student, she chose Rutgers - the college Jackie was going to attend and which she'd assumed Callie's mother would be attending with her.

I thought that exact thing too! Especially since it wasn't necessary for her story. Like, it's not like she was saying that she was at Rutgers at the time. She said she had to take time off. So she could have been going to any college. But she naturally went for Rutgers as a Jersey girl, probably for the same reason Jackie did.

• Like 7

It's strange and a little sad that no one else had anything to say about Jackie except for Shauna.  Yes, she was Shauna's best friend, but she also used to be their teammate and the team leader.  Shouldn't at least a few of them have felt something about her death and paid some words of respect?  They had more to say about the anonymous JV squad member who got killed in the plane crash.

Also, going back to Lottie's vision of Laura Lee turning into a monster: that is the one thing I do believe was true about Lottie's account.  What do you think it means?  That something evil is speaking to her through her vision of Laura Lee, or it's corrupting her memories of Laura Lee?  Or could the evil thing be terrorizing Laura Lee (and Jackie, and whoever else dies out there)?

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

It's strange and a little sad that no one else had anything to say about Jackie except for Shauna.  Yes, she was Shauna's best friend, but she also used to be their teammate and the team leader.  Shouldn't at least a few of them have felt something about her death and paid some words of respect?  They had more to say about the anonymous JV squad member who got killed in the plane crash.

There were probably a few things at play there. First, probably nobody wanted to risk triggering the unhinged BFF Shauna in some way. Second, the show skipped the two months since Jackie died. They probably talked about her until they didn’t have anything left to say.  Third, perhaps they were just at something of a loss. The person who talked at the previous funeral was Laura Lee, who of course wasn’t here.

2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Also, going back to Lottie's vision of Laura Lee turning into a monster: that is the one thing I do believe was true about Lottie's account.  What do you think it means?  That something evil is speaking to her through her vision of Laura Lee, or it's corrupting her memories of Laura Lee?  Or could the evil thing be terrorizing Laura Lee (and Jackie, and whoever else dies out there)?

Such great possibilities! I also think there’s a chance that Laura Lee is who manifests at specific times for Lottie, like how “Jackie” seems to manifest for Shauna and the eyeless man for Tai.

If Travis was a sacrifice, to the wilderness, Laura Lee was arguably the original sacrifice. That could be a reason for Lottie to see her, especially since Lottie was bonded to her. I need to go back and rewatch, but someone online said that you can see the crane raising Travis higher in the background behind Lottie while she’s having her vision of Laura Lee. Creepy!

• Like 6
(edited)

Why isn't Natalie in full blown withdrawals at the cult? The amount of drinking she did last season would put her right back in alcoholism.

Unless Lottie has some herbal Ativan.

Edited by WaltersHair
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

So that happened.

Nice of the forest spirit or whatever to knock all that snow from the branch onto Jackie’s burning corpse, essentially turning her pyre into a smoker. Moisture from the melting snow + long low heat + smoke = good barbecue if you’re into noshing on your teammate. 

The survivors seemed to have been carrying on mostly normally for 25 years since rescue, as much as possible. Yes, I know some have coped better than others, but they held jobs, got married, had kids, mostly just lived regular lives. But now they all seem to be losing it. What’s the trigger? 

The things I’m most curious about are:

1. What did happen to Javi?

2. What happens to Shauna’s pregnancy/baby?

3. How are they rescued?

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

Nice of the forest spirit or whatever to knock all that snow from the branch onto Jackie’s burning corpse, essentially turning her pyre into a smoker. Moisture from the melting snow + long low heat + smoke = good barbecue if you’re into noshing on your teammate. 

The fire had removed everything from Jackie that made her look like Jackie -- her hair, her letterman's jacket, even the clownish makeup Shauna applied to her face. Her body looked like an alien figure on that pyre. It was easier for them to consume her when she didn't look so human. 

• Like 10
26 minutes ago, Shermie said:

The survivors seemed to have been carrying on mostly normally for 25 years since rescue, as much as possible. Yes, I know some have coped better than others, but they held jobs, got married, had kids, mostly just lived regular lives. But now they all seem to be losing it. What’s the trigger? 

I think the biggest thing is middle age, just like Allie described at the reunion about 25 years. That hit around the same time Jeff decided to blackmail them, and them getting together was probably another trigger. So the simmering pots they all are started to boil. (Instead of being slow cooked over low heat...)

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

I’ve been meaning to post in this tread since last week-

While this show is still one of my top 3 shows to watch right now, there is something about the first two episodes that seem off to me, I’m hoping I don’t feel this way about the whole season 

If anyone cares or plans to rewatch this episode, pay close attention to the scene with Tai right before “ Sammy” shows up when she’s sitting in front of the mirror 

I wonder how the story will unfold if/when Shauna gets arrested, one thing I do like about this season is that it has shown us how unstable she is

That last scene sure was…..gross 

• Like 8
On 3/31/2023 at 4:30 AM, BitterApple said:

Nat staging Javi's death is going to blow up in her face if/when the kid turns up alive.

I'm pretty sure Javi's really, actually dead, and for one practical, production-based reason:  The kid playing Javi was around 13 when they filmed the first season, and he's now in his late teens and looks considerably different.  If they brought Javi back, how would they explain him looking three years older when he's spent only two months in the wilderness?

Though, you know, Luciano Leroux was on all of the season-two-premiere red carpets, so who knows?

(And yes, the fact that Kevin Alves is 31 and playing a 17-year-old Travis is laughable, but Stockard Channing was 33 in Grease, so whatever.)

4 minutes ago, snickers said:

That last scene sure was…..gross 

It's gonna haunt me all week -- every "31 Easy Recipes for Slow Cooker Easter Pork Roasts" article I'll have to vet for my day job is gonna make me gag.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7

I am confused about Jackie's jacket/uniform, I thought Jackie's parents gave Shauna (does anyone else immediately think of Jennifer Grey in Ferris Bueller's Day Off when she met Charlie Sheen in the police station and told him her name was Shauna?), but we see they burned Jackie and she was wearing her team jacket.

I wish Shauna had not killed Adam, I do not think this moves the story along at all, it seems farce like.

Sammy showing up at Tai's house was well done but why would the principal wait two hours before calling his parents?

There is something the way the girls put food in their mouths that is gross, like all fingers involved putting the morsel of food in their mouths, it is icky to watch and I cannot figure out why it bugs me so much. 

Javi wandered off on the night of the mushrooms, two months go by and Natalie pretends she found his pants on a branch, Travis still thinks he is alive in the freeze temps, snow, no food, no shelter with no pants on...will he shows up in some animal skins, tree bark shoes and a spear?

I hope I am never in a place where I have to eat a friend or enemy.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am confused about Jackie's jacket/uniform, I thought Jackie's parents gave Shauna (does anyone else immediately think of Jennifer Grey in Ferris Bueller's Day Off when she met Charlie Sheen in the police station and told him her name was Shauna?), but we see they burned Jackie and she was wearing her team jacket.

I wish Shauna had not killed Adam, I do not think this moves the story along at all, it seems farce like.

Sammy showing up at Tai's house was well done but why would the principal wait two hours before calling his parents?

There is something the way the girls put food in their mouths that is gross, like all fingers involved putting the morsel of food in their mouths, it is icky to watch and I cannot figure out why it bugs me so much. 

Javi wandered off on the night of the mushrooms, two months go by and Natalie pretends she found his pants on a branch, Travis still thinks he is alive in the freeze temps, snow, no food, no shelter with no pants on...will he shows up in some animal skins, tree bark shoes and a spear?

I hope I am never in a place where I have to eat a friend or enemy.

Jackie’s parents gave Shauna Jackie’s soccer uniform, not her team jacket. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
14 hours ago, Demian said:

The kid playing Javi was around 13 when they filmed the first season, and he's now in his late teens and looks considerably different.  If they brought Javi back, how would they explain him looking three years older when he's spent only two months in the wilderness?

the only thing they could do, if they wanted the same actor, is to not show him until the group is found 19 months later, which would at least given him a couple of years growth.  this is only explained if javi somehow found his way out or was found by someone, and through trauma, the size of the area, etc. he could not tell anyone where they were, he didn't really know, and it still took a huge amount of time to find the group.  maybe he had some temporary amnesia for a time.

• Like 4
On 3/31/2023 at 8:56 PM, sistermagpie said:

We despise in others what we despise in ourselves.

17 hours ago, snickers said:

I’ve been meaning to post in this tread since last week-

While this show is still one of my top 3 shows to watch right now, there is something about the first two episodes that seem off to me, I’m hoping I don’t feel this way about the whole season 

Yeah something is off, but I don’t know what it is.  Still love the show, but I’m wishing it was as good as season 1.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, AstridM said:

Jackie’s parents gave Shauna Jackie’s soccer uniform, not her team jacket. 

You'd think Jackie would have had her soccer uniform with her on the plane, considering they were going on a trip to play soccer in nationals.

But maybe she had a backup uniform? I don't know how sports work with things like that.

Are we to assume that Travis and Natalie used one of the giant-hand-o-condoms that Coach gave up last season? Otherwise, they could be giving Shauna a run for her money.

Also, I know it's a small detail but it's been bugging me that Lottie said Natalie had a gun in her mouth. No, she had a big ass rifle under her chin. If her people were watching, was there more than one camera in that room?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I'm getting a little confused about the 1996 background redshirts. Mari we knew, and Akilla (sp?). How many others are there? 

And yes, I'm trying to count who might be up to be eaten before poor Coach Ben.

We saw it coming--Jackie was the logical choice although part of me didn't think it would happen this soon. The technique of the Roman feast (heavily borrowed from Donna Tartt's "The Secret History") actually left me with mixed feelings. I don't want to vomit from a TV show, but it also kind of glossed it over. I'm conflicted!

I still think they should acknowledge some sort of rodent trapping ability. Squirrels? Rabbits? Maybe not good enough to feed everyone--so they are all still hungry and frantic about nourishment--but I don't like the implication only "big game" is edible. Were they stretching out the last of the bear in that pot? Or are there some small hunts happening (but not enough).

• Like 9
16 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

I'm getting a little confused about the 1996 background redshirts. Mari we knew, and Akilla (sp?). How many others are there? 

And yes, I'm trying to count who might be up to be eaten before poor Coach Ben.

We saw it coming--Jackie was the logical choice although part of me didn't think it would happen this soon. The technique of the Roman feast (heavily borrowed from Donna Tartt's "The Secret History") actually left me with mixed feelings. I don't want to vomit from a TV show, but it also kind of glossed it over. I'm conflicted!

I still think they should acknowledge some sort of rodent trapping ability. Squirrels? Rabbits? Maybe not good enough to feed everyone--so they are all still hungry and frantic about nourishment--but I don't like the implication only "big game" is edible. Were they stretching out the last of the bear in that pot? Or are there some small hunts happening (but not enough).

I started that book, several years ago, but didn't get very far. I only knew that Ben Affleck wanted to adapt it. I wondered why it was popping up in bookstores again. On the main tables, when you walk in.  

• Useful 2
18 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

IIRC, 18 or 19 survived the plane crash. Laura Lee and Jackie died. Javi is missing, so that leaves Tai, Misty, Nat, Shauna, Lottie, Van, Akilah, Mari, Travis, Coach Scott plus 5/6 redshirts, three of which have been brought out of the background for this season. I'm not sure if others will be introduced in future episodes. 

With regards to trapping, I thought they tried it in S1 and came up empty? Ditto for fishing. 

This is gross, but wouldn't the obvious thing to do is leave Jackie's bbq'd corpse out as bait? Nat and Travis could shoot whatever comes to feed and that should give them enough meat to last a while. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

IIRC, 18 or 19 survived the plane crash. Laura Lee and Jackie died. Javi is missing, so that leaves Tai, Misty, Nat, Shauna, Lottie, Van, Akilah, Mari, Travis, Coach Scott plus 5/6 redshirts, three of which have been brought out of the background for this season. I'm not sure if others will be introduced in future episodes. 

With regards to trapping, I thought they tried it in S1 and came up empty? Ditto for fishing. 

This is gross, but wouldn't the obvious thing to do is leave Jackie's bbq'd corpse out as bait? Nat and Travis could shoot whatever comes to feed and that should give them enough meat to last a while. 

They were all having their periods, and that blood would surely have attracted something, wouldn't it? Or is that just sharks?

I also thought that cooked Jackie would have attracted animals. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Anela said:

They were all having their periods, and that blood would surely have attracted something, wouldn't it? Or is that just sharks?

I also thought that cooked Jackie would have attracted animals. 

I think that by the time they found the Jackie jerky they were hungry enough that the idea of saving her for bait probably didn't cross their minds. 

But would cooked meat be that attractive to animals that would be used to eating raw meat?

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
57 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

IIRC, 18 or 19 survived the plane crash. Laura Lee and Jackie died. Javi is missing, so that leaves Tai, Misty, Nat, Shauna, Lottie, Van, Akilah, Mari, Travis, Coach Scott plus 5/6 redshirts, three of which have been brought out of the background for this season.

This is what I’m wondering about. There were definitely more than 3 background survivors last season but now I’m wondering if they’re just retconning that and there are only 11 total left. That doesn’t leave many for the 7 we know are rescued to eat lol.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, JasonCC said:

The technique of the Roman feast (heavily borrowed from Donna Tartt's "The Secret History") actually left me with mixed feelings. I don't want to vomit from a TV show, but it also kind of glossed it over. I'm conflicted!

I've referenced this book a few times here, but the Doomcoming last season was more closely related to a small portion of the book than this 'feast'.  IMHO, don't think it's that blatant. I've reread this book several times since I first purchase the paperback version from a Borders (RIP) in... 1996. It was a staff pick. It's not a book for everyone, but I enjoyed it the way I'm enjoying this series: it doesn't pander to the audience, or stupefy the material to make it more palatable. So to speak.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1