Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: A Blip

• Start Topic

When a patient comes in with persistent and lingering COVID symptoms, the team discovers she may be dealing with something harder to treat. Andrews and Villanueva must contend with their hierarchy at the hospital and its effect on their relationship.

Original airdate 4/3/2023

• Like 1

Oh, Shaun :(... That ending got to me. I sympathized with both of them here, one wanting to know and one not wanting to know. I'm glad Glassman will do the scan, though...but I'm nervous for what it means going forward. 

Good on Villanueva standing up for herself and the nurses as a whole against Andrews. 

I was wondering if Jordan and Jared might have some kind of spark at some point. Seems like they may be going that route, or at least testing the waters. 

• Like 5

There are very few people on this show who's had a relationship with someone who doesn't work in the same hospital. Even relationships that developed with people outside the hospital eventually brought them into the hospital, like Lea, and that guy that Lim was seeing who suddenly left.

The guy in the wheelchair will probably get a job here soon.

• Like 1

Cool seeing Sara Garcia as the one patient's daughter.  She did a guest stint on The Flash as Alexa Rivera and did great work despite that show's always questionable material, and I'm all for her getting more gigs going forward.

Not surprised that, once again, both cases ended on mainly happy notes, but they were decent enough.  In particular, I liked the one where the patient was dealing with symptoms due to COVID, because I feel like there is so much focus on the death rate (understandable), but there are other ways that damn thing can really do damage and that's why getting it no matter what is not a fun idea to think about.

Oh, Jared!  I get what you were going for, buddy, but you need to pace yourself and don't go straight to the "karaoke and outlandish food" phase of your trying to bond with everyone journey.  Most of them are still trying to figure you out!  Good be worse, though. 

Other show spoiler:

Spoiler

Like the karaoke party in the most recent episode of Succession....

I guess it was about time for Andrews to get a L.  Man's got to realize that he and Villanueva won't work if he doesn't actually treat the nurses with more respect.  After-all, they are the ones dealing with most of the normal issues, while everyone else is dealing with the crazy cases and even crazier interpersonal drama!

As I find myself saying numerous times, damn you, Freddie Highmore and Richard Schiff for making me get teary-eyed!

• Like 4
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Am I crazy, or has this show gotten less enraging recently?

Did you mean engaging? If you did, I’m right there with you. Finding this episode uninteresting. Especially annoyed with Shaun going to the outrageous lengths-for a scan that, given the medical history, probably would be done at six month intervals anyway. The paper waste! He could have compiled it in a digital file.

That was really mean of Asher, Jerome, Park and Morgan to cancel out on Jerrod's party. I mean I get it, he's coming on a bit strong but still.... really mean girls of them.  I expected better of Asher, Jerome and Park.

The mother who had the kidney issue was being very selfish with her daughter and guilting her to stay and take care of her.  

The stuff with Glassy... all the feels

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Daff said:

Did you mean engaging? If you did, I’m right there with you. Finding this episode uninteresting. Especially annoyed with Shaun going to the outrageous lengths-for a scan that, given the medical history, probably would be done at six month intervals anyway. The paper waste! He could have compiled it in a digital file.

and, small thing, but leah not having a printer that has the output fall into a catcher makes no sense. the pages get messy and out of order this way.  would not happen

and shawn finding time to read thru all that hard copy when there's so much other stuff for him to be doing? nope, not buying it

• Like 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, cinsays said:

and, small thing, but leah not having a printer that has the output fall into a catcher makes no sense. the pages get messy and out of order this way.  would not happen

and shawn finding time to read thru all that hard copy when there's so much other stuff for him to be doing? nope, not buying it

Shaun said he woke up at 3:30AM to read thru the data, he also made coffee for Lea.

And I remember Shaun telling that he used to read a whole novel in one sitting.

Edited by Jim Marlowe
  • Like 1

Glassman is a better character when he's being a father figure to Shaun, or when he's just being a surgeon, which I wish we'd see more of.

If his cancer is coming back, I hope he doesn't revert to a whiny emo kid. That was insufferable.

• Like 3

And why are doctors monitoring a patient 24/7. At most - if someone actually needed a human being to monitor, it would be a low level medical personnel type.

My experience with ICU is that the patients don't have a human in the room 24/7 but have all kinds of machines monitoring and there aren't rooms per se so that the patients can be continually observed and the medical people are quite close. It is completely different than a standard hospital room where you have a door (typically) and a call button.

• Like 3

I really hope that Glassman is alright, I really felt for both him and Shaun at the end. Glassman is worried about what the scan might find so he's avoiding things but Shaun relates to the world via data so of course this is the only way he can deal with the possibility of losing Glassman, I swear he better be alright. He needs a chance to be Grandpa Glassy.

Both cases were pretty good, not a lot of drama but both pretty interesting with solid guest stars. I like that they had one patient dealing with lingering COVID symptoms, something that doesn't get talked a lot when it comes to COVID, even if it ended up being more about something else. 

It really sucks that pretty much the whole gang cancelled on Jared, that's a pretty dick move. Sure he's coming on too strong, but he's really trying to get to know his co-workers and navigate an awkward situation, at least come to his silly karaoke night. Are he and Jordan going to get together next? They definitely seemed to have a vibe there at the end. 

• Like 5

I do think Jared is trying too hard to get the doctors that he just met to like him. He needs to just be himself instead of spending money on parties to try to impress them.

I’m glad Glassman agreed to the scan after Shaun stopped pushing and just said why he wanted him to do it.

• Like 4
On 4/3/2023 at 8:40 PM, possibilities said:

On 4/3/2023 at 10:32 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I guess it was about time for Andrews to get a L.  Man's got to realize that he and Villanueva won't work if he doesn't actually treat the nurses with more respect.  After-all, they are the ones dealing with most of the normal issues, while everyone else is dealing with the crazy cases and even crazier interpersonal drama!

What's a(n) L?

• Like 1
On 4/4/2023 at 5:40 AM, possibilities said:

I think it's still plenty enraging. I have lived with severe ADHD all my life and let me tell you, it's torture. All those things you want to do, but part of your brain refuses because your executive function is shot. There is nothing keeping you from doing all these great things, theoretically, but practically you can't. And nobody understands, often times you don't even understand yourself. I could tattoo "but you have so much potential / you are so smart [so why don't you do something more/better?!]" on my chest at this point.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

But at least I had years and years to get used to it and develope some coping mechanisms. I can't even imagine how it must feel to get these symptoms as an adult all of a sudden, having had a fully functional brain before. And these asswipes are all like "yeah, this is the new you, accept and celebrate it!" I think if I was the patient in this episode I would have punched all these condescending pricks in their dumb, smug faces.

Not to mention that Lim's life as a paraplegic was only so nice and transformative, because she had the fun TV-version, not the real life version, where you are shitting and pissing in a diaper and have to check yourself for injuries constantly.

Honestly, the constant brain fog and forgetfullness are minor problems compared to the missing executive function. All those things you can mostly work around, by taking notes, setting appointments with multiple reminders in google calander, having your work and private calender sync, etc. It's more work than NTs have to do, but it's not the end of the world. Not being able to do anything is a lot harder to solve. So kind of the opposite of what the episode showed the problem was. Though lack of executive function is hard to show on screen.

Speaking of executive function. None of the problems Glassman had and Shaun listed were executive function related. Those were all memory or attention related. Those are different things! Are these writers getting a list of ADHD/Long COVID- symptoms and then throwing dice to decide which one to use in a given situation?

Yeah I'd say I'm plenty enraged!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • Useful 1

I admit ADHD is not my area. But I have brain fog and have gotten slower and less "smart" as a result. I thought they were portraying brain fog, not ADHD. But it's entirely possible I missed the diagnosis because I was foggy! And it's true that executive function is not really my issue, so my identifying with the patient is probably because they were, as you say, not portraying executive function problems accurately! 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
18 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I admit ADHD is not my area. But I have brain fog and have gotten slower and less "smart" as a result. I thought they were portraying brain fog, not ADHD. But it's entirely possible I missed the diagnosis because I was foggy! And it's true that executive function is not really my issue, so my identifying with the patient is probably because they were, as you say, not portraying executive function problems accurately! 

They were doing long COVID, which shares a lot of symptoms with ADHD. The patient was complaining about the brain fog a lot, but also about problems with executive function. Though since these writers don't seem to know what executive function actually is, I'm not sure if she actually had problems with that.

I'm also not saying that brain fog is nothing. It's still hard and means a lot of extra work to cope with, thus spent energy you could have used elsewhere and maybe some things you can't do at all. It's just that it's dwarfed by executive function problems. Because how do you work around your problems without being able to execute the workaround?

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

They were doing long COVID, which shares a lot of symptoms with ADHD. The patient was complaining about the brain fog a lot, but also about problems with executive function. Though since these writers don't seem to know what executive function actually is, I'm not sure if she actually had problems with that.

I'm also not saying that brain fog is nothing. It's still hard and means a lot of extra work to cope with, thus spent energy you could have used elsewhere and maybe some things you can't do at all. It's just that it's dwarfed by executive function problems. Because how do you work around your problems without being able to execute the workaround?

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I will grant that I find brain fog makes reading poetry harder, not easier, so they weren't really on point with that, either. 

Yeah, the writers seem to not understand what executive dysfunction is really like.

2 hours ago, Fable said:

Okay, I did get a small laugh with Asher's WWSMD moment and also with Park kind of walking over Shaun's OR reports on Glassman. 

tbh I was expecting it to lead to Asher/Jerome getting engaged - like the group leaving the karaoke bar and see Jerome proposing at a fancy restaurant. 

So, the show is going back to the cancer well? They've decided to not mention Glassman's house in a few episodes, so obviously it's cancer. However, since it is TV - he hasn't had a nosebleed, so that means it isn't cancer!

It's been, what, 5 years since Glassman was NED? With most cancers, 5 years NED means scans stop (or are much mess frequent) - and since Glassman's a neurosurgeon, he would probably recognize any significant symptoms. You think he would've been like, "I'm old, Shaun - people get slower as they age!" or something like that - but nope, just only going "nope not cancer." 

• Like 1

My brain fog causes me to take notes, write everything down, repeat it to make sure, and carry a notebook with me from room to room so I don't forget why I'm there, so I thought they did a good job of showing her coping mechanisms in that regard. I also liked that they were not promoting the idea that she should just give up on life entirely. It's very true that brain fog is hell. But it's too easy for people to think "better dead than disabled" and I don't like that. There are adjustments. There are problems. But death is not the prescription for solving them. 

• Like 4
(edited)
On 4/5/2023 at 7:11 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

Though since these writers don't seem to know what executive function actually is, I'm not sure if she actually had problems with that.

I have not watched the last two episodes but i think it is pretty enraging. Not only because they have an autistic consultant but don't seem to be interested in nothing else besides the quirks - by extension, they don't really care about anything neurodivergent. It is enraging because the writing is so poor and ridiculous at times, it is clear that the autistic theme is just a way of making the show seems like more than it is. So, a token consultant, plus lack of interest, plus terrible writing = enraging. There is no return from that. The show will ended and they will all pat themselves on the back for having "putting autism acceptance fron and center" gah!

As for executive function, I would bet that some of the writers are still asking if that means that a person cannot function as an executive. I am not kidding. 

Edited by circumvent
  • Like 1
On 4/4/2023 at 7:04 AM, Daff said:

Not to mention commandeering his wife’s work printer for 400+ pages(!!!). Like she doesn’t need to use it? I’d have been livid and canceled all his print jobs.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, circumvent said:

I have not watched the last two episodes but i think it is pretty enraging. Not only because they have an autistic consultant but don't seem to be interested in nothing else besides the quirks - by extension, they don't really care about anything neurodivergent. It is enraging because the writing is so poor and ridiculous at times, it is clear that the autistic theme is just a way of making the show seems like more than it is. So, a token consultant, plus lack of interest, plus terrible writing = enraging. There is no return from that. The show will ended and they will all pat themselves on the back for having "putting autism acceptance fron and center" gah!

As for executive function, I would bet that some of the writers are still asking if that means that a person cannot function as an executive. I am not kidding. 

gosh but don't you know that autism is magic, the show is trying to tell us that.

The writing is definitely ridiculous most of the time

37 minutes ago, bros402 said:

I have not watched the last two episodes

Okay, but I am commenting on exactly those, so how do you know that things aren't any better if you haven't watched them? It's one thing to say it's still crap if you've seen them, and maybe you would in fact think so if you did. But since you haven't seen them, it doesn't make sense to me that you actually have an opinion on whether they've improved.

I don't think they're really focused on the autism right now. Shaun has been mostly just being a doctor and supervising his residents. It still has all the same tropes medical shows always have, but I have not found it to be as horrible lately as it usually is. They aren't really making him a savant stereotype right now, or leaning hard into the other stuff they've been exaggerating in the past. He's just a doctor, he's about to become a parent, he's worried about his father figure, and it hasn't bothered me. 

Also, I realize I am responding to something said by circumvent, not bros402. I don't know why the software got that wrong.

I really try to find what I can like in things, and notice when they're not bothering me as much as they used to. This week, I thought that yeah, Shaun was commandeering Leah's printer, but that's hardly the worst thing anyone has done on a tv show. It barely even rises to the level of quirky. IRL  it's rude, but for a tv show it's well within the range of "character trying to do something discreetly and being a little wacky in the process". I was more confused by the fact that he seems to be sharing the office with Park again. Did I forget when he stopped using the private closet office? In any case, yeah, he had his papers all over the place, but Park just walked across the floor anyway, so to me it seemed like typical "office mates dealing with each other" stuff and not anything more than that. 

I liked that the nurse read Andrews for filth for not respecting the nurses, and that frankly the brain fog patient did a good job looking and sounding and acting how I feel most of the time, even if they called it executive function rather than brain fog (apparently-- I missed that when watching, but you all have set me right on that misdiagnosis). I never see tv talk about long covid or brain fog, not in fiction and not in the news, even though it's a huge, huge issue-- way more prevalent than the usual go-to medical issues they like to represent or misrepresent. That's two good treatments of issues I care about. In one single episode!

So, no, the show is definitely not perfect. But I found it better this week than I have many weeks prior. I also thought that Shaun being worried about Glassman was reasonable, and within range of what many other TV characters or real life humans would do, and that they handled it pretty well. He nudged, Glassman pushed back. They came to an honest understanding and I felt for them both. Maybe I am just not good at holding a grudge against fictional people. IRL, I would probably not have the patience for any of this drama, but I didn't really mind these people on my screen this week.

I didn't care about Jared's insecurity and weirdness trying to bond with his co-workers instead of just focusing on doing his job and letting the friendships develop from there, but it wasn't overly offensive to me, either. I just thought it was a waste of time. He wasn't so socially awkward in his earlier run on the show. I feel like they totally changed his character when they brought him back, and I don't like it. But it's just stupid and not offensive to me, which is an improvement on what I usually think.

I can't remember if it was this ep or the previous, but I also liked that the patient who was overly dependent on her daughter was not discriminated against or misdiagnosed because of the doctors assuming she was lazy since she was fat, or that her being fat was the cause of her issues. I kept bracing for that to happen and it didn't. Her weight was not even mentioned, not even by the usually rude resident whose name I can't remember right now, the one who recently had a bunch of opinions that were none of her business about a patient. They also inserted a variety of opinions about what is or is not a healthy amount of devotion on the part of an adult child with respect to a parent, and allowed different people to regard that situation in different ways, which I appreciated. 

And I thought Asher trying to figure out a patient and drifting off into fantasizing about his boyfriend to be funny because I'm pretty sure most of us have found our minds wandering when we are trying to Attend To Serious Business, at times. And since I like his relationship, and they recently had them go through a conflict, I liked seeing that they seem to have totally worked it out. I'm just not into misery these days and I like to see characters be happy, as long as it's not too saccharine.

• Like 1

So, I watched the episode. I thought I had mossed two of them, but I was wrong, it was only the last one. 

I do stand by what I said, though. I still find the show enraging. This season is better than last season concerning autism/Shaun but I am nut sure if it is better than the seasons before that. I am not that invested to even be able to compare that far behind. I came to the show late, so I more or less binged the first seasons. I remember find the first season interesting enough, not without the tropes, but watchable. I do remember hoping they would correct the most blatantly ridiculous issues by hiring a consultant that is actually heard. Not sure that his happens - not the hiring, the listening part. 

As for this episode, it was enraging in other ways. Jordan is judgmental and nosy. It can absolutely be the duty of some children to take care of their parents. There are so many tings that make each situation unique, sometimes life just make it that you end up being the caretaker of a parent. Can't stand her righteousness at times.

Now, why would a person having a seizure need a crash cart? Every time I was in a hospital with an epileptic friend, the first thing they would do in case of a seizure was to give her Ativan. I am confident that this is protocol in every American hospital. I understand that the Ativan might be stored in a crash cart but if they want to convey that level of emergency - it only happens like that on TV - Lim would not yell crash cart (in real life Lim wouldn't be in the room at all, and wouldn't not be alone with the patient. A nirse would be there too, so no yelling. But this show needs everything RIGHT NOW)

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I realize I am responding to something said by circumvent, not bros402. I don't know why the software got that wrong.

It happened because you took the quote out of the “quote box” WITHIN bros’ post. Hence, attributed to him/her.  If you see a phrase or sentence that you specifically want to address, you should find that original post (always white background, never shaded). It’s easy to find the original because of the time stamps and avatars. Best practice here is to avoid highlight and paste in any shaded area. It happened TO me early on, as a potentially controversial statement was erroneously attributed to me, putting words in my mouth I never would say (or even think). It was a bit embarrassing. Alternatively, you might be able to edit out the name in your own post. I haven’t tried that since I try to find the originals in all cases (context). Good luck.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, circumvent said:

So, I watched the episode. I thought I had mossed two of them, but I was wrong, it was only the last one. 

I do stand by what I said, though. I still find the show enraging. This season is better than last season concerning autism/Shaun but I am nut sure if it is better than the seasons before that. I am not that invested to even be able to compare that far behind. I came to the show late, so I more or less binged the first seasons. I remember find the first season interesting enough, not without the tropes, but watchable. I do remember hoping they would correct the most blatantly ridiculous issues by hiring a consultant that is actually heard. Not sure that his happens - not the hiring, the listening part. 

As for this episode, it was enraging in other ways. Jordan is judgmental and nosy. It can absolutely be the duty of some children to take care of their parents. There are so many tings that make each situation unique, sometimes life just make it that you end up being the caretaker of a parent. Can't stand her righteousness at times.

Now, why would a person having a seizure need a crash cart? Every time I was in a hospital with an epileptic friend, the first thing they would do in case of a seizure was to give her Ativan. I am confident that this is protocol in every American hospital. I understand that the Ativan might be stored in a crash cart but if they want to convey that level of emergency - it only happens like that on TV - Lim would not yell crash cart (in real life Lim wouldn't be in the room at all, and wouldn't not be alone with the patient. A nirse would be there too, so no yelling. But this show needs everything RIGHT NOW)

I forgot about the crash cart thing! I have to assume the crash cart was gotten because of her heart disorder - and according to google, crash carts do have medications such as diazepam on them. So it might've been a double whammy - be ready in case her heart decided to have some fun *and* stop her seizure with the diazepam.

Medical shows always act like everything is an emergency. If I couldn't tune that out, I could never watch one. I think I just try to be half full whenever I can, because my outrage these days is being fully exhausted on the non-fiction news most days, so when I can find anything good in fiction, I'll take it. Not saying there are not flaws, and obviously we all draw the line in different places, which is fine. I just wasn't that bothered this week, I guess.

The way this show only has 2 nurses, and only when they are needed to serve one of the doctor stories by dating one of the doctors or setting up one of them getting stabbed, is hilarious and eye-rolly for me, more than angering. I mean, the chief of surgery is sitting and watching to see if a patient develops a complication! All the attendings are taking shifts on babysitting this patient! And Andrews says he can't afford nurses! I guess that's because he's paying surgeons to sit at bedside and wait to see if anybody has a seizure. To me, this is funny and just part of the stuff you have to overlook as "the show is keeping the number of characters small" rather than actually being enraging. But, as I said, we all get pissed off about different things. There are plenty of shows that do stuff that bothers me and other people don't mind.

• Like 4

Not to mention when residents finally have a night off they are paged to go back to the hospital.

I know that those shows up the drama level to 1000 but sometimes things are so on the nose that is laughable. Bad acting and/or directing. We already know that the writing is a lost cause

As an aside, I decided to watch Game of Thrones. I never really felt curiosity, it is not my type of stuff, but I tried one episode and was immediately impressed with the cinematography. Then, by the end of the episode, I was totally sucked in. Still can't stand the gore and the too many naked bodies - for various reasons, male naked body ugliness, and how my brain substitutes the female character for the actors, and how they feel they cannot say no to nude scenes - but the way the story is told is so good, the editing just make you want more and more. Since the show is ending, that means that I am kind of binging on the series. This is only to say that writing matters. When it is good, it is easier to let go of the ridiculousness. 

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Wow. I can't even imagine watching Game of Thrones. Even the promos look stupid to me. But it's very popular, so that just proves everybody is annoyed by or attracted to different things. 

I had never seen a promo for the show, had no idea who the actors were, just had a vague idea about the theme  because it was more or less obvious by the promo poster,  and thought I would hate it. But seriously, the story is so well told, it hooked me up. Still too much gore and too many battles, but well directed and edited. A friend read the books before the series and she says that the show does have the flow of the books, leaving us wanting to know what's next

I don’t get why Jordan is so sought after by the males on this show.  She doesn’t necessarily have a winning personality, imo.  And, she is rather judgmental.  I suppose she’s attractive enough, but I don’t get why she seems to have two men competing for her affection.  The two young men seem to be struggling too, so, I suppose that makes sense.  

I didn’t get why the young woman wanting to stay with her mom was such a horrible thing.  It touched a nerve with Jordan…..still.  She seemed way to invested in that young woman taking that job in Europe.  Tv medicine seems to portray so much of the doctors deciding what the patient should do and then how they manipulate everyone to make it happen.  

• Like 3

My thinking is that someone on the writing staff has a parent they are currently forcing into a nursing home or otherwise ignoring, and they wrote this story to self-justify.

I think they make Jordan the woman dudes want because she's the only female resident left. I don't actually mind that much if they make her sought after. But she is quite judgmental, every week it's someone new she's disapproving of, and it seems like they write an awful lot of women that way. The other intern, the amputee, was also like that. And Morgan is the prototypical bitch character. 

Lea's nice and Lim is bossy but reasonable. But they got rid of Claire and haven't written a non-bitchy woman since then. 

Even the nurse who rejected Andrews this week-- she's not usually bitchy but the only two stories they've given her are: victim of domestic violence, and love interest who rejects suitor while bitching him out. I thought she was right to bitch him out, but still-- they didn't let her have a story til they needed someone to do that.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Glassman's short-term wife was a gun-toting bitch who mocked him and wouldn't compromise on anything. He was also wrong in that relationship, but she didn't get any personality other than "woman who is mad at Glassman and leaves him as soon as he gets over the cancer". She didn't have a single moment on the show that wasn't about him.

• Useful 1

Yeah, they have  made the Leah character someone she wasn’t.  I never liked that.  The way she and Shaun got together….not good.  Aggression and ignore it when I say leave me alone, I’m not interested. They did the same thing with Glassman.  I try not to think back to those times.  There is a certain hang up that writers have about the myth of romantic love and fighting for that love no matter what that they can’t shake.  Once, you break the woman down, she’ll submit and all will be well.  🙄

The show could write Glassman out due to his cancer.  They don’t seem to have a grip on characters and how to value them.  They have done a pretty good job with Shaun and Glassman, but they might not protect it.