Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

When Denise Huskins reappeared just two days after her boyfriend, Aaron Quinn, reported she was abducted from their Vallejo, California home, police accused the couple of perpetrating a hoax. But another, similar crime caused authorities to reexamine the case, and led to the unlikeliest of suspects.

This is not airing in all markets, due to a football game being aired on Sunday night on NBC. It's showing up on my schedule at 2: 00 am Monday.

Ugh, I doubt I will be able to stomach more than a couple minutes of this. I'll check back tomorrow to see the thoughts of those who managed to suffer through it. Cosby is a pretty close second to O.J. Simpson on my "least-favorite person" list.

• Love 3

I got to watch it, and I thought it was interesting.  I remember when the story was in the news a few months ago, but I hadn't followed it closely, so it was nice to get a filled out version.  I don't want to spoil anything until others have had a chance to see it, so I will just sit on my hands in agonizing anticipation!

• Love 2

I'm going to have to rewatch this one on line; no football for me, but some asshat at the local NBC affiliate kept cutting in with local car commercials, so I missed the back end of the story on how the other incidents were connected to the kidnapping of the woman in March.  If anyone saw the full ep, did the cops who initially took in "Samantha"'s story really do a report or did she just hear about the more recent incidents and do something about it herself?  Those cops ("oh, you must have had a dream!") seemed about as halfwitted as the cops who believed in magical cell phone calls and didn't investigate the recent kidnapping beyond the usual tunnel vision.

• Love 3

I watched the last half hour. It was gut wretching. It's still blows my mind how many women he did this to. I'm glad they have each other even if it's the club no one should be part of. But they all seemed very supportive of each other.

I still remember when the first allegations came out in what 2003,2004? And how they went away. Now I know why. Glad it's finally blown up. And had no idea about the Hannibal Burgess comedy routine.

• Love 4

I found these ladies to be totally credible. Man Cosby is a sick f***. He totally used fame, power, money drugs and promises to help young women's careers to rape countless women.

Cooksdelight, I can't believe he said that. Uh, Bill Cosby tainted the Cosby show legacy.

• Love 11

Ugh, I doubt I will be able to stomach more than a couple minutes of this. I'll check back tomorrow to see the thoughts of those who managed to suffer through it. Cosby is a pretty close second to O.J. Simpson on my "least-favorite person" list.

And the people who insist Cosby is innocent remind me of the O.J. Simpson trial jurors.

• Love 13

I hope this couple gets a nice fat judgment against the police department who were so quick to go on national TV and brand them frauds and criminals.  The cops jumped to the conclusion that these stories were fabricated (or "a bad dream") just because the details were bizarre.  Do they not watch true crime shows like the rest of us?  :-)

• Love 6

Malcolm Jamal Warner was on the news this morning, whining how this will "taint" the Cosby Show legacy.

I can translate that. He means, Cosby Show reruns will stop and then so will the residual checks he's been living on.

I saw only a couple of minutes, when the women were asked if any of them reported the assaults. No one raised their hand. Then one woman spoke up and said that just wasn't done then, there was no such thing as date rape or child molesters or anything, we all lived in a Leave It To Beaver world where that stuff just didn't happen. Which is why it could happen, did happen, and happened often.

It's staggering how many people think Cosby is the happy doctor dad we all saw on tv. Like OJ was the goofy police guy of the movies, and those football wife beaters are all some sort of magical heros above reproach. It makes me have no hope for our society, there is so much brainlessness going on.

I first heard of this when Hannibal's comedy routine was being discussed on some of the radio stations I listen to. There was some outcry against Hannibal at that time, but at least he was getting noticed and talked about. He had come out against Cosby before but was ignored. So, good on him. Interestingly, one radio station got a lot of callers who were defending Cosby. Again, staggering, because these callers had never met the man, just knew him from that tv show and his comedy albums.

I heard a comedian on the radio who told a story about Cosby. He was doing a stand up show at some place, and two of her comedian friends walked Cosby out on stage after he was introduced. When they got on stage, loud and long applause broke out. Cosby leaned over and whispered to the comedians walking him out: "Listen to that. Neither of you will ever have that in your careers."

Interpret that as you will.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 11

I feel you, Saber. So sorry that happened to you

I was unclear how Buress knew about the women's abuse or was it general knowledge? If so that is horrifying. Good for him for having the balls to out the king,

• Love 4

We watched it.  My hubby said that Cosby was lucky one of those women didn't die when he was drugging them.  Which makes me wonder if anyone did die?  They would have covered that up too.  Just an overdose of some young girl left somewhere.  Scary to think of that.   

• Love 8

Saber, I'm so sorry for what happened, but thank you for sharing it. I am a rape survivor and no, I did not report it, because in my teenage mind I needed to protect the person who assaulted me, and because many people would have considered it my fault for being at a party (at the home of one of my best friends, where I had every right to think I was in a safe environment, and more to the point I had every right not to be raped).

It disheartens me to hear so many people (not on PTV!) saying if these women didn't report Cosby at the time then they must be lying now, or it "wasn't that bad". As if power dynamics, fear, shame, coercion and confusion don't play a role. *sigh* And it's 2015.

ari33, Burress told Howard Stern (yeah, I know) that the info was "out there" and anyone could have searched around on the internet and read about the accusations from I think 2006?

• Love 8

We watched it.  My hubby said that Cosby was lucky one of those women didn't die when he was drugging them.  Which makes me wonder if anyone did die?  They would have covered that up too.  Just an overdose of some young girl left somewhere.  Scary to think of that.   

omg that is a great point! Very possible. 

Wow. I'm so angry.

• Love 2

Saber, I'm so sorry for what happened, but thank you for sharing it. I am a rape survivor and no, I did not report it, because in my teenage mind I needed to protect the person who assaulted me, and because many people would have considered it my fault for being at a party (at the home of one of my best friends, where I had every right to think I was in a safe environment, and more to the point I had every right not to be raped).

It disheartens me to hear so many people (not on PTV!) saying if these women didn't report Cosby at the time then they must be lying now, or it "wasn't that bad". As if power dynamics, fear, shame, coercion and confusion don't play a role. *sigh* And it's 2015.

ari33, Burress told Howard Stern (yeah, I know) that the info was "out there" and anyone could have searched around on the internet and read about the accusations from I think 2006?

THIS!

And as they said, there was no date rape spoken of back then . It was the boogie man who jumped out of the bushes and attacked a stranger. Also, as the women stated, and as they said that Cosby claimed, who were people going to believe? Some of these incidents took place as far back as 1969 IIRC. There were trials in which it was implied or outright stated that the woman was "asking for it" and she got put on trial herself for how she was dressed and other horrific nonsense. How frightening for someone to come forward.

• Love 8

saber - I had a similar incident happen, when the very famous breeder we bought my Appys from came to town, and my parents sent me to have dinner with him.  He put the aggressive moves on me in the car, and I had to fight hard to get away.  I told my parents, but they did nothing - no small surprise there, since my stepdad had already tried to molest me a few years earlier, and Mom did nothing then except make empty threats (to me, not him - we were both scared shitless of him).  A couple of my stepdad's friends also made passes at me - one was his best friend and boss who'd known me since I was about 5 years old, and I guess waited almost 20 years to make his move.  All this occurred in the 60s, 70s and even the early 80s. 

I was raised to NOT talk about personal issues; not the verbal and emotional abuse my stepdad heaped on us, and certainly not any of the sex stuff.  My best friend's boyfriend raped me in high school, and I never told anyone but her (and that was actually LESS traumatic than the molestations by older men!).  Family secrets and shame remained behind closed doors in those days, and people were quick to blame the nubile young victim for being "seductive", or excuse the old pervert molester because he'd just "had one too many" or was only "playing around".

Young people don't realize how different the world was back then.  If you called the cops because your stepdad hit your Mom, they came and talked to HIM, and believed HIS lies.  Women had very little power, even while we were burning our bras and trying to establish it.

I understand each and every one of the Cosby victims, and their silence.  I've lived it myself.

Cosby is a MONSTER who ruined countless lives.

As far as the drugging goes - it is quite possible someone along the way received an overdose.  Didn't we just watch a show last week about the 3 young ladies in Japan who were chloroformed and killed?

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 19

saber - I had a similar incident happen, when the very famous breeder we bought my Appys from came to town, and my parents sent me to have dinner with him.  He put the aggressive moves on me in the car, and I had to fight hard to get away.  I told my parents, but they did nothing - no small surprise there, since my stepdad had already tried to molest me a few years earlier, and Mom did nothing then except make empty threats (to me, not him - we were both scared shitless of him).  A couple of my stepdad's friends also made passes at me - one was his best friend and boss who'd known me since I was about 5 years old, and I guess waited almost 20 years to make his move.  All this occurred in the 60s, 70s and even the early 80s. 

I was raised to NOT talk about personal issues; not the verbal and emotional abuse my stepdad heaped on us, and certainly not any of the sex stuff.  My best friend's boyfriend raped me in high school, and I never told anyone but her (and that was actually LESS traumatic than the molestations by older men!).  Family secrets and shame remained behind closed doors in those days, and people were quick to blame the nubile young victim for being "seductive", or excuse the old pervert molester because he'd just "had one too many" or was only "playing around".

Young people don't realize how different the world was back then.  If you called the cops because your stepdad hit your Mom, they came and talked to HIM, and believed HIS lies.  Women had very little power, even while we were burning our bras and trying to establish it.

I understand each and every one of the Cosby victims, and their silence.  I've lived it myself.

Cosby is a MONSTER who ruined countless lives.

As far as the drugging goes - it is quite possible someone along the way received an overdose.  Didn't we just watch a show last week about the 3 young ladies in Japan who were chloroformed and killed?

THIS!

That is all

• Love 2

I watched the last half hour. It was gut wretching. It's still blows my mind how many women he did this to. I'm glad they have each other even if it's the club no one should be part of. But they all seemed very supportive of each other.

I still remember when the first allegations came out in what 2003,2004? And how they went away. Now I know why. Glad it's finally blown up. And had no idea about the Hannibal Burgess comedy routine.

From what I've seen on the news, the black community has known and complained about Cosby for years. And while Hannibal Burgess is appreciated, one woman put it this way - so now that a man has stated its rape, its rape. The victims didn't matter for decades.

• Love 13

Tamara Green went on the Today show in 2005 with her story but it went nowhere and there had been fairly persistent rumors even before that. Several comedians have also stated it was a known thing in their circle for years that would be talked about but no one in the media gave a damn.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

I'm hesitant to "like" anyone's sad and painful story, but I'm 64 and will reiterate that reporting just wasn't done back then. I was talking to a few women friends recently about things that happened to us as teenagers and young adults in the 60s and 70s -- bosses grabbing us, peepers, flashers, forcibly being felt up/kissed, being held in a locked in a room and made to talk about sex, a chiropractor who "needed" to do a pelvic exam ... nobody reported any of it. None of us so much as told our parents. It was just, "Ew, gross." The fact that those things may have been criminal was simply not in the vocabulary of the time. And none of our perpetrators were famous.

• Love 16

I hope this couple gets a nice fat judgment against the police department who were so quick to go on national TV and brand them frauds and criminals. The cops jumped to the conclusion that these stories were fabricated (or "a bad dream") just because the details were bizarre. Do they not watch true crime shows like the rest of us? :-)

Seriously! They obviously had the capability to trace the calls to the address in South Lake Tahoe but didn't do it until 2 months after the fact and after another crime. Also, the police decided to send divers out and have manpower searching fields, not based on anything the boyfriend said or his movements.

I was disgusted that Dateline choose an associate producer who looked so much like Denise and even blurred Samantha as the "visitor" to interview him.

I guess I should watch/read local news because I live in SF and completely missed this story.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

So sorry to hear all that some of you have gone through.  Old men after young girls?  The worst. 

The next one I want to see go down in flames is Hugh Hefner.  He made me a little sick with his tsk-tsk attitude about Cosby,  all while he's been openly exploiting  young women forever.  What about having parties in the mansion every night where fifteen year-old girls can end up in bedrooms with old men?

I'm hesitant to "like" anyone's sad and painful story

I know what you mean, Lordonia,  but in this case I hope they know my like is sort of a hug.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 13

This episode and this thread are breaking my heart. Sadly, almost every woman I know over 35 or so has a traumatic and unreported story, myself included.  As recent as the 80's and 90's there was just little or no support for victims of violence or abuse when they knew their abusers. These women are changing the dialogue in such an important way. Anyone who thinks they are lying hasn't heard the anguish in their voices as they recount what little they do remember. You cannot fake that.

I think Hannibal Buress's remarks where taken seriously because he is a black man and has no stake in Cosby's career, good or bad. No one could say he was being racist or sticking up for his own (if he had been a woman) or whatever. I applaud his actions. It had to be someone like him for the story to finally stick. I remember reading about the lawsuit in 2005 in People magazine. It was a story that was definitely out there but most news outlets (except for gossip sites like Gawker) chose to ignore all these years.

Interesting they brought up Hef and the Playboy Mansion. Hef has made remarks over the years that allude to the fact that date raping women was par for the course there, especially during the 60's and 70's. I'll bet there are a lot of powerful men who don't sleep as well after watching this.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 8

This episode and this thread are breaking my heart. Sadly, almost every woman I know over 35 or so has a traumatic and unreported story, myself included.  As recent as the 80's and 90's there was just little or no support for victims of violence or abuse when they knew their abusers. These women are changing the dialogue in such an important way. Anyone who thinks they are lying hasn't heard the anguish in their voices as they recount what little they do remember. You cannot fake that.

I think Hannibal Buress's remarks where taken seriously because he is a black man and has no stake in Cosby's career, good or bad. No one could say he was being racist or sticking up for his own (if he had been a woman) or whatever. I applaud his actions. It had to be someone like him for the story to finally stick. I remember reading about the lawsuit in 2005 in People magazine. It was a story that was definitely out there but most news outlets (except for gossip sites like Gawker) chose to ignore all these years.

Interesting they brought up Hef and the Playboy Mansion. Hef has made remarks over the years that allude to the fact that date raping women was par for the course there, especially during the 60's and 70's. I'll bet there are a lot of powerful men who don't sleep as well after watching this.

While I agree that Burgess is what finally made people pay attention, I don't think his being black meant he had nothing to gain (in some people's minds). Cosby has been outspoken about his lack of respect for poor blacks. He's basically called them lazy good for nothings who should stop complaining and looking for handouts. He got a lot of pushback in the black community.
  • Love 3

I wonder if the "you probably just had a bad dream, sweetie" came with a head pat and a glass of water?  I try so hard to stay supportive of law enforcement in general, because I know there are  plenty of good ones out there, but the way these crimes were handled was absolutely infuriating.

The perpetrator was a very interesting case, to me.  So often it ends up being someone who is remorseless and cold, with some kind of criminal history.  This guy seemed like he was genuinely sorry for what he did, sometimes even while he was doing it.  A true tortured soul who could not control his dark impulses, as opposed to just being evil?  He was glad to be in prison so he wouldn't harm anyone else? How refreshing!  And sad. I wish we could have found out what it was that changed him so drastically, and why he was disbarred.  They mentioned the possibility of bipolar disorder, but the way he was able to be successful and focused for so many years into adulthood, then suddenly declined, imploded and turned to a life of violent crime isn't really how it works, there had to be more to his issues than just that.

• Love 3

First off to all that have shared your stories, I am very sorry for what you have been through. It takes courage to talk about it and kudos to all. You have all made so many good points too and nobody understands these things as well as survivors of abuse. Your insight is invaluable.

Cosby has inflicted pain on countless people. Not just the women he abused but all the people that love them also become victims. That is some evil shit right there. He really needs some consequences for his crimes.

• Love 6

My words cannot do justice to the horrific events that my PTV sisters have endured.  With compassion, I send you virtual hugs and the hope that you can find a peaceful place after what you have had to endure.

• Love 5

I feel you, Saber. So sorry that happened to you

I was unclear how Buress knew about the women's abuse or was it general knowledge? If so that is horrifying. Good for him for having the balls to out the king,

ari333 - I also heard Roseanne Barr mention in some interview that plenty of comedians knew about Cosby's actions. It was well-known in the world of comedy, and Barr wasn't the only comedian to say this.

To all here who have endured such a crime, my sympathy and heart goes out to you all. I too was a victim. I waited a very, very long time to mention what happened to me. All the bashing these women have received from the public, infuriates me. People in this day and age still don't understand the reasons behind why victims don't come forward to report a rape, a molestation or any similar crime. It is mind-boggling. These are likely the same people who didn't believe the rape victims of the priests and the Penn State victims.

Aside from Malcolm Jamal Warner, there were those comments by Damon Wayans who said the victims were "un-rapeable". Whatever the fuck that means. I suppose he was going by the appearance and the age of some of the women. Wayans seems to think that rape only happens to the "sexy" people. He must not read the stories about the countless babies, little children and elderly victims of rape and molestation. He was also claiming that these women were once Cosby's lovers and they are now too old for Cosby and no longer getting any money from him which is why they are now claiming rape. What a fucking idiot. I just can't with these defenders of Cosby.

• Love 7

I agree with Irritable that he's a sad case.  I think he probably is bipolar.  It often onsets in  the late twenties in young men and it would explain the sudden collapse of his marriage and career.  During the manic phase there are sleepless nights filled with great energy and creativity when he could have mapped out extensive plans and during the long periods of depression he might have believed that the heightened excitement of his crimes would break the depression by making him feel something. His underlying decency might explain why Denise didn't sound terrified on the phone.

This episode (probably unintentionally)  led right in to the Cosby women. It's 2015 and the police still aren't believing rape victims.

• Love 3

I did an interview with him for my paper. Fascinating stuff. We didn't focus on that of course but it made me read up on it.

I guess I'm lucky since I'm over 35 and never had an incident, but I do recall when the words date rape became used, and it was in the 80s.

And we did have a chorus teacher who made really icky remarks about people's chests that would not fly today.

It's sad because among other things Cosby was an icon,

It all just brings back the proverb call no man happy until he is dead.

It's not worth your time envying anyone. Who knows what life has in store for them?

Look at Christopher reeve... He handled his accident with grace but who would have predicted the handsome leading man would become a quadriplegic?

And cosbys reputation is irretrievably ... Tarnished is too mild a word.

Awful for the women and glad the truth has come out.

• Love 5

Typically, the depression that follows mania prevents people from doing much of anything besides collapsing into a pile of inability to cope or function, especially quelling the ability to follow up effectively on the big plans that were made while manic.  I wonder if he was medicated, and that kept him "stable" enough to do more than would be typical.  I think he must have some kind of psychosis that could have been exacerbated by bipolar disorder.  Most people with bipolar disorder alone only hurt themselves, and the people who love them (emotionally).

I didn't watch the Cosby women portion of the show, because I figured it would just be an hour full of the same thing we've been hearing all along, and I've definitely had more than enough of "but none of you have any actual proof, right?".  I guess they all should have Monica Lewinski'd their clothes when it happened, just in case they ever worked up the nerve to come forward years later.  Pfffffft,

• Love 2

A big hug to all of you. I really enjoy coming to this site and "conversing" with you all. You always make me laugh, think and understand.

I was "too young" at the time but a job I had I would hear the stories of sexual harassment that the older women had endured in the long time they had worked at the company. Of course it wasn't considered that at the time.

It's too bad that all these comedians and the open secret of Cosby's actions couldn't have been more vocal. Nothing can change what happened to them, but to have their voices heard and finally believed and to have Cosby slowly stripped of everything and his lasting legacy be of a serial rapist I hope that helps the healing.

The one woman who said she didn't think there was 27 women she didn't even think there were 2 women she only knew there was one: her. That gave me chills.

• Love 4

Delurking with my thanks, support and love for all the survivors on the show and this thread for telling their stories.  Your courage is commendable. Your strength is formidable. Your truth IMO, is undeniable. Hearing about all the women whom Cosby has hurt is disgusting, to say the least, but unfortunately not suprising, nor is them being attacked all over again by those who think that they're just coming forward now for the money and attention, not that I would blame them if they had, after what they've been through, but money can never replace what they've lost.

As for attention, there are much better, much easier and much safer ways of doing it than accusing someone of Cosby's stature of rape. If it wasn't for the assholes questioning the women and their motives, many of them might have come forward much sooner. About Damon Wayans calling some of the women "unrapeable," I doubt he'd feel that way if his own daughter was one of them, so fuck you, Blankman. On a positive note, aside from Cosby losing everything including his freedom, the only thing better than seeing that these women find strength in themselves and each other is that it's at Cosby's expense. Seeing Cosby's career and legacy finally come crashing down around him is karma at its best.

• Love 7

Delurking with my thanks, support and love for all the survivors on the show and this thread for telling their stories.  Your courage is commendable. Your strength is formidable. Your truth IMO, is undeniable. Hearing about all the women whom Cosby has hurt is disgusting, to say the least, but unfortunately not suprising, nor is them being attacked all over again by those who think that they're just coming forward now for the money and attention, not that I would blame them if they had, after what they've been through, but money can never replace what they've lost.

As for attention, there are much better, much easier and much safer ways of doing it than accusing someone of Cosby's stature of rape. If it wasn't for the assholes questioning the women and their motives, many of them might have come forward much sooner. About Damon Wayans calling some of the women "unrapeable," I doubt he'd feel that way if his own daughter was one of them, so fuck you, Blankman. On a positive note, aside from Cosby losing everything including his freedom, the only thing better than seeing that these women find strength in themselves and each other is that it's at Cosby's expense. Seeing Cosby's career and legacy finally come crashing down around him is karma at its best.

Indeed!

It is not true justice as in jail time for Cosby, but it is comfort and some consolation to have him taken down in every other way possible.

• Love 4

As traumatic as the act itself is, not being believed is salt on the wound.

As far as Mrs. Cosby goes, I'm not even sure what to say. My guess is she had to know, but I have no way to know that for sure of course.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

He'll be a prisoner in his own home now, no doubt, with a wife who I hope makes the rest of his life a living hell.

Is this streamed online?

It boggles my mind how his wife still stands by him and refuses to believe he is capable of doing this. I know she is aware of his infidelities, so why would she say all these women are lying?

Yes, I believe it is. All Dateline show are available online at a certain point after they air.

• Love 3

Statute of limitations has run out, unless he committed the crime in a state with a never-ending time frame.

No, that is true, time has run out. Which makes these women coming forward all the more compelling, there is basically nothing for them to gain. Just so they can be the subject of scrutiny and foul jokes? I'm looking at you, Wayans. 

Mrs. Cosby might be undergoing her own problems so I can't criticize her for sticking around. Could be her life hasn't been all roses either, given to whom she is married. Maybe it's a trade-off sort of relationship: "You keep your cheating grubs off me, Bill, and I'll stick around so you look the good husband. Now, where's that credit card and the key to my Maserati?"

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

"Under a Halloween Moon"--argh, SO FRUSTRATING, HEARTBREAKING, AND UNSATISFYING!!

Can't believe no justice for Joel and his family. A good samaratin and he gets his face broken.

Thinking the investigators should have taken DNA from all the party-goers and double- and triple-checked surveilance!

UGH!!!

• Love 2