Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I've seen so many stories over the years about con men who prey on vulnerable women, going back to the olden days of personal ads in the newspaper. It's hardly a new phenomenon. But the really clever and insidious ones get the women to do all the investing and spending and buying themselves. This guy is just a thief. He's not a genius or a criminal mastermind, despite what the episode kept telling us. Hacking into accounts and stealing credit card numbers should be something the police can pursue immediately and aggressively. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I've seen so many stories over the years about con men who prey on vulnerable women, going back to the olden days of personal ads in the newspaper

So true! When I was a teenager, a long time ago, the young woman across the street, a hardworking single mother, fell prey to this type of scam, convinced that a man was rich and loved her, and let him shower her with gifts and trips, only to find out down the line that she'd paid for all of it. She was utterly devastated, way more emotionally than financially. Maybe this accounts for my fascination with these stories. Despite all our technology, the basic tactics of these con men hasn't changed at all. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 6

This is not appropriate but I say .... YAY!   

If the kids were ok she would have presented them a long time ago.  

Hope no bail bondsmen give her an opportunity to get out.

• Love 11
On 3/7/2020 at 5:22 PM, patty1h said:

These incidents always remind me of catfishing victims, particularly the love scams ones.  If anyone is familiar with the "Dirty John" story, these women remind me of the woman scammed in that case, which went like this:  Woman of a certain age meets "the perfect man" who sweeps her off her feet and she's blind to the red flags because she is so in loveHere's a synopsis of  the "Dirty John" case for those unfamiliar.

I also see these victims on Dr. Phil, people in their 50's 60's and 70's, and you yell at your TV "open your eyes!" as you hear how these people say they have met the love of their life, as they send their retirement money to their soul mate who is trapped in Nigeria.  Apparently, there are people so starved for love that their sense of self-preservation disappears. 

I KNOW!  I know someone, who I would not describe as vulnerable, who got SCAMMED big time in an internet thing. I was shocked that they got taken for the money AND, even after they realized they made a mistake, they STILL believed the person was who they said they were and needed the money for some real urgent reason.  I'm  speechless.  This person was not looking for love either.   There may be quite a few Dateline stories out there. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I KNOW!  I know someone, who I would not describe as vulnerable, who got SCAMMED big time in an internet thing. I was shocked that they got taken for the money AND, even after they realized they made a mistake, they STILL believed the person was who they said they were and needed the money for some real urgent reason.  I'm  speechless.  This person was not looking for love either.   There may be quite a few Dateline stories out there. 

Sadly, I just learned yesterday my friend's mother actually bought some Jamaican guy a $30,000 vehicle to start a taxi/transport company for 'her and him". She cashed in her retirement funds, flew to Jamaica and had a 6 month fling. After he got the last of her money for their "investment", he's now dating her sister. At 63, she needs to work for another 15+ years as she hasn't any money for retirement. I don't understand how they are believing this is 'love'. Love does not require you to pay for someone or take money from someone. By age 40+, stick to 50-50. No children will be involved, why pool money?

• Love 1
On 2/29/2020 at 1:21 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

What staggers me is the attitude of the three children, who sided with the father, and were actually angry at Nancy for not asking the judge for leniency.      

Is there a sociopathic gene? They could be just like dear ol' dad.

• Love 2
On 2/15/2020 at 7:08 AM, Mondrianyone said:

How were the grandparents related to the children?  I thought the woman of the older couple was referred to as Charles's sister several times, so this wasn't making sense to me.  Wouldn't that make her an aunt rather than a grandmother?

I just read this, so I apologize if it was already answered. "Grandma" is Charles sister and JJ was her son's child. Apparently JJ's needs were too much for his parents and grandparents so Charles and Lori offered to adopt him. I loved it when I heard that Charles changed his life insurance so his sister was his beneficiary. Lori found out the day after his death when she called the insurance company. I bet she was furious! (Enough to kill the kids?) I guarantee Chad did not want to raise another two kids.

• Love 1
On 2/21/2020 at 6:58 AM, Koalagirl said:

Here you go.  I agree that something is very fishy here.

https://people.com/crime/tennessee-toddler-just-reported-missing-not-seen-since-december/

A body was found in one of the relatives homes. I wonder if mom killed her or all three were involved. Why are these people having children? It is not like we're stuck in the age of birth control being illegal. I have no sympathy for jerks who have kids and can't deal with it. Stop having them!

• Love 1
On 2/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, TVbitch said:

Meanwhile Dad is looking forward to going to heaven and meeting all the murder victims who's crimes they helped solve. .....um, that part was a bit awkward. 

Even more awkward are all these shows showcasing religious people discussing their afterlife purpose or even that 'they' will be chosen to move on to some better ether region. Murdered young lovelies are not waiting in Heaven to rehash their death. Who says crap like that? Chad and Lori's beliefs had me spit out my coffee, especially hearing her tell people they are part of Jesus's 144,000. JUST saying... if it WERE true, who is Jesus going to want around to greet him? The scientist who cured a childhood disease, or these two knuckleheads? Delusion at its height. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Chalby said:

Why are these people having children? It is not like we're stuck in the age of birth control being illegal. I have no sympathy for jerks who have kids and can't deal with it. Stop having them!

If only.... it seems as if so many people who are least able to raise children have them.    Read the New York City papers and sometimes your heart will break with some of the cases involving children.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

If only.... it seems as if so many people who are least able to raise children have them.    Read the New York City papers and sometimes your heart will break with some of the cases involving children.  

7 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

So true.  I also hold responsible those who defend the child abusers and put the helpless kids right into their hands. 

• Love 3
On 3/10/2020 at 7:36 AM, Melina22 said:

She's the very definition of a flight risk. 

The more I watch this case, the angrier I become. I hope NO ONE offers her bail money and I hope no bail bondsman will accept the 10%down risk. I credit any jailer caring for her because I am so furious that she will not give an answer as to where her kids are, I want to wrap my fingers around her throat. These people are so flippin' delusional. Yet she thinks she God's warrior. The narcissism required for her behaviour and thinking. Unbelievable and infuriating.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Ellee said:

And look at her face again in the picture.  SMDH

Once again, I despise this woman and her loser husband "Chad" to my core. Where the heck were the authorities while these two were leaving bodies in their wake? WTF?

• Love 5

The Black Box. I'm not completely convinced the husband did it. The entire case seemed based on conjecture. Yeah, the guy had a kink and wanted a three-way, but that's not so unusual frankly. Not really a strong motive for wanting the wife dead. Even if he accidentally killed her, staging the car accident seemed extremely risky. He could have just said she fell and hit her head.

Can we talk about the defense attorney's Yosemite Sam beard? Good grief. I assume he's aiming to be the rootenest, tootenest gun slinger in the wild, wild west.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The Black Box. I'm not completely convinced the husband did it. The entire case seemed based on conjecture. Yeah, the guy had a kink and wanted a three-way, but that's not so unusual frankly. Not really a strong motive for wanting the wife dead. Even if he accidentally killed her, staging the car accident seemed extremely risky. He could have just said she fell and hit her head.

Can we talk about the defense attorney's Yosemite Sam beard? Good grief. I assume he's aiming to be the rootenest, tootenest gun slinger in the wild, wild west.

Did I hear that he was a former police officer?

The woman he moved in with (forgot her name) — I was surprised at her demeanor on the stand.  

• Love 5

Yes he was a former cop.  I think what convinced me of his guilt was the trip to the hospital.   At first he said she just needed stitches.  Then instead of going to the closest hospital he decided to go to one further away.  He then did not take the direct highway but a dark back road.  He needed to stage the accident where nobody would see him.  The entire trip to the hospital made no sense if he was innocent.  

• Love 21

As usual with Dateline, they left out a lot of the evidence presented regarding Jamie Baldwin's trail. But just from the episode, I thought he was guilty. For me it was the stocking holder. I use these on my mantle at Christmas, and there is no way if something hit one that it would not fall to the ground. So if Judy fell off the ladder and hit it, it would fall - it is not permanently attached to the fireplace. So the only way it could make marks on Judy's skull -  marks on her skull matched the holder - would be if she was hit with it - by someone.

Judy also had three injuries to her head, including injuries on each side which is inconsistent with an accident. She had a skull fracture that was 24 cms long - 9.4 inches. That is a pretty long and significant fracture. 

In addition to the fact that the vehicle showed no signs of being in an accident (from the black box), there was a perfect tire print recovered at the scene. According to the cop giving testimony, that would never happen if the vehicle was leaving the road at 50 miles an hour due to swerving to miss another vehicle. It would only happen if the jeep was being driven slowly over soft ground.

Jamie moved in with his girlfriend less than a month after the murder. One of her sons moved in the house, and found blood in odd areas (blood splatter) that did not match Jamie's story. He contacted the police but they did not come out to the house, and nothing was done until 8 months later when SLED got involved. He also said that his mother would never have climbed a ladder because she was afraid of them, as she thought they were unstable. I am the same way. 

Interesting as well - blood was found under the ladder. And it was destroyed by Jamie after the murder- he said that it was in a fire, so he took it to the dump. 

Anyway lots of info if you google the trial. Of course there are differing opinions depending on who was testifying for what side, but if I were a juror I would have had no problem convicting him. I also think his ex girlfriend should have been charged with perjury - I think she lied during her testimony. Certainly about the fact that they had never slept together. Sure, lady, sure. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Useful 3
  • Love 14

Seems it was not premeditated, but rather a fight that escalated. Had he shown outbursts of violent rage before? Having been a cop, maybe he felt he could adequately stage her death and avoid any consequences. Maybe he knew how to manipulate that naive detective. 

Him saying she insisted that he not take her to the nearby hospital because she "didn't like it" was not believable. Um, yeah, if my head is cracked open and spilling that much blood, I am not going to insist my husband take the scenic route to the furthest hospital possible! Nor would he (if he existed) agree to that!  

Andrea's eyebrows were not quite as aggressive in this episode but she made up for it with that heavy half moon of musturd brown shadow!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

LOL, yes! It distracted me from hearing his arguments throughout :p.

9 hours ago, Ellee said:

Did I hear that he was a former police officer?

Yep, which is what added to my suspicions, too, regarding how quickly the blood and whatnot at the house got cleaned up, and how that one detective was involved in getting it cleaned up. Almost seemed like a whole "protecting one of their own" thing (I can't recall if the husband and that other guy worked together or anything, but even if they didn't, I could see the husband pulling his "i'm a former cop" thing to make people look the other way). I do agree trying to stage an accident seems a really odd way to try and cover up a crime, but depending on what happened back at the house, I can see him trying to improvise something like that. People have tried to go that route before to cover up a murder, so...

The fact that his girlfriend was there helping to clean up the scene, and was at the hospital before his sons even arrived, also had me raising my eyebrows. At the very least, that's enough to indicate to me that there's definitely more to that relationship than he or that woman want to claim. And then the woman breaking things off with him later on, only for her house to mysteriously burn down afterward...things that make you go, "Hmm...", as they say. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 6

Him saying she insisted that he not take her to the nearby hospital because she "didn't like it" was not believable. Um, yeah, if my head is cracked open and spilling that much blood, I am not going to insist my husband take the scenic route to the furthest hospital possible! Nor would he (if he existed) agree to that!  

See, I can buy that because we have a local hospital that's known to be a deathtrap. Like, when the ambulance comes, you say "don't take me there." Plus a scalp injury spurts lots of blood. You don't necessarily assume it's life threatening.

I'm not sure how I would have voted if I'd been on the jury. My gut tells me he might be guilty, but I'm not sure the evidence is there.

My biscuits are burnin', my biscuits are burnin'!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

If we're going to talk cartoon characters, I thought the son in the green shirt talked just like Boomhauer from "King of the Hill."  Those two young men were so nice and the niece with the first suspicions really loved her aunt, but I didn't think her recorded phone call or  the sons' "Mom is afraid of ladders," amounted to much.

20 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

For me it was the stocking holder. I use these on my mantle at Christmas, and there is no way if something hit one that it would not fall to the ground. So if Judy fell off the ladder and hit it, it would fall - it is not permanently attached to the fireplace. So the only way it could make marks on Judy's skull -

The stocking holder did it for me, too.  Falling against it would just make it move, it wouldn't go into her head without a solid force behind it -- like Jamie's hand.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

See, I can buy that because we have a local hospital that's known to be a deathtrap. Like, when the ambulance comes, you say "don't take me there." Plus a scalp injury spurts lots of blood. You don't necessarily assume it's life threatening.

Even if he didn't want to take her to the closest hospital, why take a longer, back road scenic route to get the hospital that he said he was going to? As was pointed out in his trial, he is a former dispatcher and police officer/first responder, so one would think his instinct would be to take the fastest route to the preferred hospital. And the instinct of any loving husband. Unless of course you are staging an accident and don't want to be seen. I wonder why the mysterious car that caused him to swerve off the road  and down the embankment didn't stop to help? Hmmmm. 

Jamie also gave conflicting reports as to whether or not he lost consciousness after the accident. He told the doctor at the hospital that he did not lose consciousness, and told the police interviewing him that he did. As in, that he was knocked out and when he came to, he didn't know where Judy was. 

Regarding a question upthread as to why he staged the car accident and didn't just stick with her falling off the ladder and hitting her head, it was thought the the injuries she sustained from his attack could not be explained by a simple fall. So adding in the car accident and Judy supposedly being thrown (from a car that was barely moving and did not roll over) out of the jeep would explain her extensive injuries. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

So adding in the car accident and Judy supposedly being thrown (from a car that was barely moving and did not roll over) out of the jeep would explain her extensive injuries. 

I found it almost embarrassing that an ex cop expected anyone to believe a body flew out of a jeep, into the creek without smashing through some windows. Yet somehow an unconscious woman, seconds away from dying was able to open the passenger door just in time to be flung into the water. What an ass. And I was not impressed with his side-chick who insisted they never had an affair, despite the victim confronting him about the affair. Hearing guilty was satisfying, despite the fact he may be successful with an appeal. At least the cop recognized and admitted to all the mistakes he made. I still think he made these mistakes because of the 'brotherhood' and he didn't want to appear to suspect a brother boy in blue of lying.

• Love 10
On 3/15/2020 at 11:01 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

Even if he didn't want to take her to the closest hospital, why take a longer, back road scenic route to get the hospital that he said he was going to? As was pointed out in his trial, he is a former dispatcher and police officer/first responder, so one would think his instinct would be to take the fastest route to the preferred hospital. And the instinct of any loving husband. Unless of course you are staging an accident and don't want to be seen. I wonder why the mysterious car that caused him to swerve off the road  and down the embankment didn't stop to help? Hmmmm. 

Jamie also gave conflicting reports as to whether or not he lost consciousness after the accident. He told the doctor at the hospital that he did not lose consciousness, and told the police interviewing him that he did. As in, that he was knocked out and when he came to, he didn't know where Judy was. 

Regarding a question upthread as to why he staged the car accident and didn't just stick with her falling off the ladder and hitting her head, it was thought the the injuries she sustained from his attack could not be explained by a simple fall. So adding in the car accident and Judy supposedly being thrown (from a car that was barely moving and did not roll over) out of the jeep would explain her extensive injuries. 

Yeah, and I was thinking, Why wouldn’t you fasten the seat belt and harness of someone who was injured? (Or anyone, really.) My very first reaction was, Why was she not wearing a seatbelt??

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 9

It might have helped if the show had given us some kind of background info on Jamie, like if he'd had any history of violence or if Judy had ever expressed any fear of him or his temper. I suppose it's possible someone without any history of violence could suddenly snap and beat someone to death but it feels like a stretch. I'm just not sure what the motive was here (lots of people have affairs, few of them resort to murder). Given that the entire case rests on speculation over what happened I guess I'm looking for something plausible that would have set the whole thing in motion. Like if a friend said Judy was just about to ask for a divorce or something. We got nothing to that effect. 

• Love 3

It's probably worth remembering that he burned his girlfriend's house down after she ended the relationship they "never had."  So any doubts about his guilt re Judy, which I also "never had," kind of went up in smoke.  As it were.

• Love 9

On top of this stressful week, my DVR decided to only record the first half of this two hour episode for some reason.  I know I can watch On Demand later but typically fast forwarding isn't available so I can't go the middle unless I watch on my phone.

My channel guide listed a completely different episode than this one and the TV listings in the paper had it listed as another 1-hour starting at 10:00. 

Anyway, The Ranch was all kinds of depressing. I suspected Eduardo would make it out alive because I just sensed a twist coming. What I did not foresee was Jayne's untimely demise from cancer. Talk about a bummer of an episode. Her children are lovely though. That family has been through all kinds of crazy.

I'm curious about the logistics of this episode because it sure seemed like they were interviewing Jayne all along - had they done this story before? Or was someone else interviewing her for another show and they repurposed that footage? 

• Love 9
On 3/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, iMonrey said:

It might have helped if the show had given us some kind of background info on Jamie, like if he'd had any history of violence or if Judy had ever expressed any fear of him or his temper. I suppose it's possible someone without any history of violence could suddenly snap and beat someone to death but it feels like a stretch. I'm just not sure what the motive was here (lots of people have affairs, few of them resort to murder). Given that the entire case rests on speculation over what happened I guess I'm looking for something plausible that would have set the whole thing in motion. Like if a friend said Judy was just about to ask for a divorce or something. We got nothing to that effect. 

There were several friends that testified during the trial that the couple's marriage was rocky before Judy was murdered. After the motorcycle Christmas party, in which Jamie and Terri openly flirted, with Jamie blowing kisses to Terri and her laughing, Judi phoned a friend several times in the middle of the night hysterical over Jamie's affair, and behaviour. Jamie wouldn't be the first husband to have no history of violence (or at least not that anyone knew about) and kill his wife in a fit of anger, because either he wanted out of the marriage or she did. 

Several friends also testified that Judy would never go on a ladder. The funny thing is, it is obvious in the pictures from the crime scene that the tree is already fully decorated. And a neighbour testified that she had already seen the tree fully decorated before the evening that Judy supposedly fell off the ladder because she was decorating the tree.

I am still incredulous that Terri would lie under oath and say that she and Jamie were not having an affair. It was known in their motorcycle club, and Jamie bragged about it to at least one other member, who testified. Interesting also, that Jamie was president of the club, Terri was treasurer, and several club members left both over their behavior, and missing money from the clubs funds. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

curious about the logistics of this episode because it sure seemed like they were interviewing Jayne all along - had they done this story before? Or was someone else interviewing her for another show and they repurposed that footage? 

That’s what I assumed and that this was an update with them finding out who the kidnapper was and that he knew them but I was sort of surprised that I hadn’t seen it before.

• Love 2

Wow, The Ranch was incredibly sad.  I'm glad that Eduardo made it out alive - the man must had some incredible will to live.  The bastard that was holding him hostage must've been an incredible sadist to do that to another human being.   And to do it to somebody that you actually know who has apparently done no harm to you - words just can't express it.

I wouldn't be surprised that Jayne's cancer killing her was partially due to all the stress she had been under (and she probably delayed treatment).  That was the icing on the cake of heartbreaking for this episode - after all that couple had been through, you just wanted them to be together another 30 years.   

And it really seems to me that between what we saw on the show and what I've been reading in the paper, that Mexico has turned into a lawless state.  Sometimes I think that rather than our military spending almost 20 years in the middle east, we would've been better served looking south of our own borders.  Unfortunately, American's love of drugs seems to have destroyed so much of Latin America and turned it into a place that people desperately want to escape.  

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

I wouldn't be surprised that Jayne's cancer killing her was partially due to all the stress she had been under (and she probably delayed treatment). 

That's what I was thinking, too, yeah :/. 

I'm amazed by Eduardo's ability to forgive and how at peace he seems with everything that happened to him, but I admire him all the more for it. This family in general are true fighters-that creep picked the wrong crowd to mess with, for sure. 

I felt for the oldest son when he was initially told about what happened, knowing his younger siblings weren't aware of the details. I totally get wanting to shield the younger kids from the scary news, but man, that'd be so tough, trying to keep that secret as long as they did.

• Love 8

I let out an audible gasp when it was revealed that Jayne had passed away.  It just shows how life can be so unfair.  From personal experience I also believe that the stress of her husband’s ordeal exacerbated her cancer.  She raised a truly wonderful family. 

• Love 9

This was indeed a repeat with a brief update. They really were living an idyllic life, weren't they? And trying to do good for their community. I would have lost my mind if I were either of them through that ordeal. 

The kids are beautiful and amazing. The older boy seems to be as exceptional as his father.  

I really wish humans had never invented money. 

• Love 7

Not relevant to the story at all, but did anyone else think that Jayne looked remarkably like Annette Bening? 

I'm so sorry for those kids, going through what they did and then losing their mother after it seemed as if the sky had finally cleared.  But obviously they were raised right.

• Love 13

I had not seen this before, so I was beyond astounded when they revealed Jayne had died, as they had "fooled" us into thinking it was a recent interview.  Sad sad sad.  Fortunately Eduardo survived to be with his family. 

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Not relevant to the story at all, but did anyone else think that Jayne looked remarkably like Annette Bening? 

I'm so sorry for those kids, going through what they did and then losing their mother after it seemed as if the sky had finally cleared.  But obviously they were raised right.

I could see that a bit. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Thank you! I thought she looked familiar! I Just thought it was a repeat I was not remembering.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, A.Ham said:

Thank you! I thought she looked familiar! I Just thought it was a repeat I was not remembering.

Their story was featured on an episode of I Survived. I don’t know if any of you watched that show, but it was one of my faves, saw every episode.  I was also extremely surprised to see Jayne & Eduardo on a commercial for Cancer Treatment Centers of America, giving a testimonial for the care there. It got me thinking that maybe they were actors or possibly they were still broke and needed the endorsement money. But hearing that Jayne died of cancer makes mr feel bad for thinking any of that.

• Love 2
On 3/21/2020 at 11:09 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

I am still incredulous that Terri would lie under oath and say that she and Jamie were not having an affair. 

I am with you on this. Surely someone can testify to their relationship just so we can see her be charged with perjury.

• Love 3