Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

Peppermint Patty, thanks for the info.  I figurered there was a life ins policy on Tammy. It just blows my mind how these people are murdering people left and right and seem to be getting away with it.   Frankly I think the kids are dead (Lori has no use for that photo album any more) and the bodies will only be found if somebody eventually talks.  

I guess what strikes me as amazing is the lack of an autopsy done on Chad's wife.  I guess that "libertarian" states like Idaho give families alot of leeway in things like autopsies in sudden deads of otherwise healthy people.   Guess if you want to murder family members for money or other reasons, move to a state like Idaho.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, GussieK said:

Why were the reporters touching the evidence in the storage shed?  Why hadn’t the police seized it?

I was under the impression that the police seized whatever they thought had value as evidence,

This show made me so mad I could spit.  Chad and Lori have done something to Tylee and JJ.  Every fiber of my being says that, and it pisses me off that they're not locked up.

Why in the HELL would any agency give her 5 days to produce the kids?  It should not take 5 days to produce a 7 year-old.

One of their "supporters" mentioned Satan.  He's going to be waiting for Chad and Lori.  Their day will come, and I hope they both fry.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, For Cereals said:

This!  Clearly they are willing to kill family...allegedly.  

Maybe April (the friend) believes that she's somewhat protected by the fame of the case.  Now, anybody with a functioning brain suspects that Lori and Chad have done something to the kids, and there's heavy suspicion that something is hinky about Tammy's death.  Since Alex is also dead (and not available to do Lori's bidding), if anything happens to April, the cops are going to make a beeline for Lori and Chad.  April may be hoping that they won't want to put that much heat on themselves.

• Love 6

I'm perplexed on why they would kill off Alex who seems to be do all the killings for them and why they wouldn't just give JJ back to the grandparents.

I'm leaning towards them killing him in spite after Lori foud out she was removed from Charles million dollar policy and made the grandparents as beneficiary.

Tylee, there was a commentator on the Aunt's blog asking if she inherited $85k from her dad when he died and the aunt said she had just turned 17 and graduated which is when the trust would be available so that could be the motive for her death.

Edited by Leilani
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Leilani said:

How did Lori get by all these years and no one noticed how crazy she is, something is missing from the story. I'm also from this island they escaped to so it's crazy to think these psychos could just be amongst us.

They were spotted at a Costco earlier this week. I can’t recall where I saw it but some local news agency got a picture. This story is so appalling all the way around. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

They were spotted at a Costco earlier this week. I can’t recall where I saw it but some local news agency got a picture. This story is so appalling all the way around. 

Yes, there's photos of her at Longs and Costco as recent as Feb 13. on Kauai, I saw the photos  on Twitter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Only way those kids aren't dead is if this culture is bigger than Dateline indicated and the kids are hidden with other members. Sadly, I think it's more likely the kids are dead. 😔

Charles and Tammy were definitely murdered. I think Alex was asking well.

This is all so crazy.

• Love 8

We've all asked this question in this forum, but we seriously need a lawyer.  How can a reporter be jailed when he/she doesn't reveal a source when compelled to do so, yet Lori and Chad aren't in jail?  JJ is a minor child.  Lori is his guardian.  How is she not in jail until she produces JJ?

I'm perplexed on why they would kill off Alex who seems to be do all the killings for them and why they wouldn't just give JJ back to the grandparents.

Because Lori and Chad are bat-shit crazy.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Leilani said:

Alex knew too much. 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Leilani said:

How did Lori get by all these years and no one noticed how crazy she is, something is missing from the story. 

I'm sure people noticed that she was crazy. But being crazy isn't illegal. 

• Love 7

There is a report that the little boy's school website keeps getting log ins from the mother's phone number, even up to very recently.  

Here's the article:

https://people.com/crime/missing-idaho-boys-former-school-claims-mom-logged-in-to-classroom-monitoring-app-last-week/

If the daughter is still alive, then I bet she was given to some sicko in the cult that these people follow.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
Just now, Morrigan2575 said:

Only way those kids aren't dead is if this culture is bigger than Dateline indicated

I think it would also have to be bigger in order for them to live a lavish lifestyle on the income from those self-published books of his, but who knows how many loons are snapping them up.  I looked at his author page on Amazon, and the most recent reader comments are asking where the children are, so maybe that's an indication that whatever sales have been, they'll start to take a hit.

I just realized that I always see @walnutqueen on this board and that she seems not to have been around for a while now.  Does anyone know if she's okay?  I hope so.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

These people are fucking serial killers and the police cannot even seem to bring them in for questioning!

I'm starting to think the best way to murder someone is just blow them away inside your house and have a witness that will back you up that it was "self defense". I mean, seriously?! The guy had a scratch on his head and claimed the ex hit him with a bat and he had to defend himself, and the cops were all good with it. Even though everyone else who knew them told the police NO he was murdered. 

I used to date a Mormon and he had some pretty out there beliefs. So it was a bit pot/kettle for me when the Mormon friend was telling us how Lori's beliefs had gone crazy pants. Which they had, of course, but.... 

Seriously. No offense intended, but when you are raised in a cult, you are vulnerable to cult leaders. 

• Love 5

Just when you think you have seen an episode that can't be topped with regards to WTH moments and people getting away with murder, another one comes along. Keith wasn't kidding when he said you would need a score card (or however he put it) to keep track. 

I would bet that Lori's 3rd husband was murdered as well.  I think they said he died of a heart attack, but he looked pretty young and fit in the pic they showed. I know it happens, but I bet if he died of a heart attack that he had some help. I wonder what happened to the first two husbands? 

Like others I don't know why Lori is not in jail. Why is law enforcement being so lenient with her? Shouldn't she have to prove that JJ is in school somewhere? Even if she were to claim that he was being home schooled somewhere, doesn't he still have to be registered for that? Mind boggling. 

Like Mondrianyone, I have being wondering about WALNUTQUEEN. The last time she posted on any forum was January 19th, which is definitely concerning.   : (  

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 10
42 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There is a report that the little boy's school website keeps getting log ins from the mother's phone number, even up to very recently.  

Here's the article:

https://people.com/crime/missing-idaho-boys-former-school-claims-mom-logged-in-to-classroom-monitoring-app-last-week/

If the daughter is still alive, then I bet she was given to some sicko in the cult that these people follow.    

The way I interpret that leads me to think the "compound theory" (that guy from the episode speculated that the kids could be in a compound somewhere) could have legs.  Classroom apps have schoolwork and other classroom information.  Maybe Lori's trying to educate JJ.  I know that's a stretch, but I prefer thinking that to thinking that he might be dead.

What about JJ's biological parents?  I know they weren't able to raise JJ, but unless they have no contact with Kay and her husband, can't they say, "Hey, where is he?"

• Love 3

Such a weird story! I think Alex started to see the light and was killed for it. I don't know why the cops haven't taken them in, or at least her, for not producing her children — unless they're waiting until July after the non-end of the world happens to rattle them. Or they're hoping the two will lead them to the children, who I'm sure are not in Hawaii, but buried in the wide expanses of BLM land outside of Rexburg.

I highly doubt the kids are even in the same state. I think they've both been murdered, which is sad, but not surprising considering their weird end-of-days rationalization that death is better than going through the so-called end times. Besides, it's more fun to hang out in Hawaii without kids (wink, wink). People can justify almost anything to themselves, and religion more often hurts than helps (IMO).

So many loose ends and questions — I assume BYU said they have no record of the daughter enrolling. Why did Idaho not go after them and arrest them after the kids weren't presented? Why not do an autopsy on the preacher's wife now? And where are the rest of these followers, are any in a compound of some kind?

Is there a Facebook group about this case?

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 9

I am a lawyer.  I don't practice criminal law in general, but I know they don't have to incriminate themselves.  That's why they can just refuse to answer anything.  It's similar to those cases we always see on Dateline where the serial killer agrees to show the parents where a body is buried but then doesn't necessarily plead to the crime.  Maybe he pleads to some other lesser crime.  It's infuriating to us but occasionally the price we pay for our constitutional protections. 

I represented someone whom the DA wanted to speak to, and we just said no.  They could make no case against him, and that was the end of it. 

And yes, where is @walnutqueen?  She usually posts here and some other places I frequent. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 5
  • Love 6

I do hope law enforcement is working all those cases and getting indictments ready and will arrest soon. I mean really.....this looks like serial killers on a rampage. No less destructive than BTK or Bundy. 

As far as the Order from Idaho goes. I suppose they either have issues or fear they wIll have trouble with extradition. Normally, that’s not an issue in criminal cases but there are statutes that dictate the process. If it’s a civil order....hmmm, may be different. I haven’t looked at the Order or statute.  I would suspect the FBI are now onto this due to interstate involvement. Hope so. 

I have a theory about people who claim that someone they know is kind, warm, genuine, devoted, etc. right up to the day they slaughter a family member. I don’t believe them and I think a lot of people are unobservant, have poor judgement, and lie a lot.

The state can require the parent to provide proof that the child is in school or being properly home schooled. Not sure why they haven’t done that. Idaho or Hawaii. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 11

I suppose it's possible they could be arrested for failing to produce the children on some kind of child safety violation, but they would not have to provide any information or incriminate themselves.  Sounds like they have lawyered up and will not be talking. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, GussieK said:

Why were the reporters touching the evidence in the storage shed?  Why hadn’t the police seized it?

I was thinking about that, too. At the very least, they should've had them put on gloves if they were going to allow them access to look at the items.

9 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I'm surprised Lori's ex-friend wasn't afraid to give those interviews. I would be. 

Seriously, if a friend of mine showed up at my place and was like, "So hey, guess what, I'm part of a group that's gathering 144,000 people for the end of the world, and I've realized that you're part of that 144,000!", I'd be like, "...'kay, that's nice, bye, now." Lori was definitely hoping to recruit her friend with that visit. Thank goodness she didn't follow her. 

8 hours ago, Peppermint Patty said:

The rumor is that they follow their father’s beliefs, particularly his daughter Emma, who is a teacher at the local school. His daughter Emma also has appeared on podcasts with some of the same people as Chad and Lori and is the main character of his end-of-the-world series of books. There is a video out there of Emma pulling up in a car behind a reporter, and she starts making faces and flipping off the camera. She seems to have a similar attitude as Lori.

Gee, how nice to know somebody like that is in charge of educating  children :/. If I were a parent of a kid in her class and found out about her ties to all this nonsense, I'd be raising quite the fuss. 

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Is it fair to say this story speaks to the dangers of religious fanaticism?

Most definitely. Like I said, these kinds of beliefs are creepy as all get out. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Just when you think you have seen an episode that can't be topped with regards to WTH moments and people getting away with murder, another one comes along. Keith wasn't kidding when he said you would need a score card (or however he put it) to keep track. 

I would bet that Lori's 3rd husband was murdered as well.  I think they said he died of a heart attack, but he looked pretty young and fit in the pic they showed. I know it happens, but I bet if he died of a heart attack that he had some help. I wonder what happened to the first two husbands? 

Joseph Ryan (Husband #3) died in April 2018 of a heart attack, but it took a week for someone to realize he was dead. Lori (who was long divorced from him) notified Joseph’s sister Annie in the same weird, unemotional way she notified Charles’ two older sons about his death. Very unemotional, like it was no big deal. The autopsy ruled that it was natural causes (similar to Tammy.) Joseph was cremated, so unlike Tammy, there is no way to exhume the body and do a toxicology. I still think it’s fishy. The timing and the manner of death are fishy.

The first two husbands are somewhat of a mystery. One she married right out a high school. The second one was not a good guy, and the marriage didn’t last. It seemed like with Joseph Ryan and Charles Vallow (especially Charles Vallow) she was marrying way, way up. Charles had a lot of money, and Lori seems to have expensive taste.

Edited by Peppermint Patty
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I am a lawyer.  I don't practice criminal law in general, but I know they don't have to incriminate themselves.  That's why they can just refuse to answer anything.  It's similar to those cases we always see on Dateline where the serial killer agrees to show the parents where a body is buried but then doesn't necessarily plead to the crime.  Maybe he pleads to some other lesser crime.  It's infuriating to us but occasionally the price we pay for our constitutional protections. 

I represented someone whom the DA wanted to speak to, and we just said no.  They could make no case against him, and that was the end of it. 

And yes, where is @walnutqueen?  She usually posts here and some other places I frequent. 

I'm not trying to argue with you, really I'm not, but it is mind-blowing to me how the legal system seems to be protecting Lori instead of JJ.  I totally understand that Lori can't be forced to incriminate herself.  However, she's in charge of a minor child, who hasn't been seen or heard from in MONTHS---by anybody, and she has repeatedly lied about where he is.  At what point does his actual physical safety outweigh her civil rights?  Or does it not ever (which seems totally f-ed up to me).  At least if she's not going to say anything, her ass can be in jail until she provides proof that JJ is alive.

This is reminding me of the disaster with Josh Powell and his children.  An adult who should be nowhere near a child somehow is allowed to be, and I fear the results here might be as equally tragic as in the Powell case.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have a theory about people who claim that someone they know is kind, warm, genuine, devoted, etc. right up to the day they slaughter a family member. I don’t believe them and I think a lot of people are unobservant, have poor judgement, and lie a lot.

Yes!!!! I find April the close friend who let Lori live witth her for a few months in Kauai suspect. How has she been friends with her all this time and never noticed she was  'off' with the 4 husbands among other traits and mania.  When someone is as close to a person as April claimed to be for as long as she has been reminds me of the adage: birds of a feather flock together.

Especially when Lori shows up at her door unannounced claiming Charles was possessed and that she was a God and she still let Lori stay with her for a weeks nevermind April has young children living with her!

Not to mention April talking about how she was the only divorced woman in her church and had no friends until Lori moved to the island.

Edited by Leilani
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8

Something bothered me about April on Dateline so I did some Googling and found that her ex just won a $700,000 suit against the hospital which resulted when his ex in 2013 called the police on him and it resulted in him being paralzed for months. You can googl it yourself for all the details but the interesting part to me is that April came across so oblivious about Lori's mania or the end of the world stuff and missing children when in 2013 this was the reason why she called the police on her ex.  Keith Morrison is remiss in his background check on this one I think.

end of world.PNG

Edited by Leilani
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Wow, Leilani, it sounds like we need another Dateline episode just about April! I have sooo many thoughts and questions!! 

Yes! I found alot more but I don't know if it's appropriate to post, just Google and I'm sure anyone can figure it out.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I just googled her and didn’t find anything. Please share!

Me too. I just find more articles about Lori and Chad, who are becoming unbelievably famous, in a bad way. (If they're attention-seekers, as seems very possible, they may actually be loving this.) 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Leilani said:

Something bothered me about April on Dateline so I did some Googling and found that her ex just won a $700,000 suit against the hospital which resulted when his ex in 2013 called the police on him and it resulted in him being paralzed for months. You can googl it yourself for all the details but the interesting part to me is that April came across so oblivious about Lori's mania or the end of the world stuff and missing children when in 2013 this was the reason why she called the police on her ex.  Keith Morrison is remiss in his background check on this one I think.

end of world.PNG

Wow, that is so bizarre. April didn't meet Lori until 2016, but three years before it seems like her ex (at least according to April) was talking about similar "end of the world" scenarios? I couldn't find much more when I googled either other than it seems the hospital injected her ex with drugs that they should not have. Would love to know more about April though if you have more info Leilani! 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Leilani said:

end of world.PNG

Here's another statement her ex made:

Plaintiff made a number of outlandish statements while in transit to Wilcox Memorial Hospital and once there. See Incident Sheet (e.g., "Me and my two sons are kings of the Book of Mormon"; reference to a "magic sword"); Day 3 Tr. at 85:16-25, 86:1-25, 87:1-11. Plaintiff denied making most of the reported statements. Day 1 Tr. at 171:2-25, 172:1-22.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Here's the link to the transcript, there's more info in there. https://casetext.com/case/raymond-v-wilcox-meml-hosp

A notable part was when the police showed up at the ex husband's farm and when they were driving him to the hospital he said: e.g., "Me and my two sons are kings of the Book of Mormon";

I need to look at the timeline again too, like when did Lori show up at her doorstep, if it was around October which is after the ex received the $700k wonder if it's correlated somehow.

4 minutes ago, druzy said:

Here's another statement her ex made:

We were posting at the same time lol.  I wonder if it's common for Mormons to have these delusions of being Gods lol

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Leilani said:

Here's the link to the transcript, there's more info in there. https://casetext.com/case/raymond-v-wilcox-meml-hosp

A notable part was when the police showed up at the ex husband's farm and when they were driving him to the hospital he said: e.g., "Me and my two sons are kings of the Book of Mormon";

I need to look at the timeline again too, like when did Lori show up at her doorstep, if it was around October which is after the ex received the $700k wonder if it's correlated somehow.

We were posting at the same time lol.  I wonder if it's common for Mormons to have these delusions of being Gods lol

My knowledge of Mormon doctrine is limited to what I've learned from South Park, but don't they plan to be rulers of their own planets in the Celestial Kingdom? 

• Love 5

I'm not a Mormon, but I doubt if any of this psychotic, delusional and possibly homicidal behaviour can be attributed to that religion. In fact one of the articles I read said Chad has been kicked out of their Church for claiming to be a prophet. Probably the majority of Mormons are good, normal people. 

Rather than this small cult "causing" people to become crazy and think they're God, my theory is the cult attracted people who were already headed in that direction. Lori had a pretty chequered career long before hooking up with Chad. His beliefs just exacerbated her personality disorder or whatever is wrong with her. (I'm not a psychiatrist!) 

Of course, speaking of psychiatry, I do sometimes wonder why someone like me who's finally achieved a happy, stable, drama-free life, is so mesmerized by stories like this one. 😊

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Of course, speaking of psychiatry, I do sometimes wonder why someone like me who's finally achieved a happy, stable, drama-free life, is so mesmerized by stories like this one. 😊

I used to binge old Law and Order shows but in the last year I'm obsessed with true crime, I find fiction to be boring compared to all the crazy stuff happening in the real world around us.

There's articles out about why the genre is hot right now and they said it's because we like being armchair detectives and also feel like we can save ourselves from being a victim of a crime if we watch enough of  these shows.

The craziest to me are high school sweethearts or  couples married 20-30 years and end up murdering the other person. 

Or this current Lori Vallow-Daybell case, who would kill their almost grown daughter and a young autistic boy and give away a dog and their brother and all their ex husbands. It's mind boggling.

Edited by Leilani
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, Leilani said:

I used to binge old Law and Order shows but in the last year I'm obsessed with true crime, I find fiction to be boring compared to all the crazy stuff happening in the real world around us.

It's so true! No episode of a fictional crime show carries a fraction of the impact of some of the stories on Dateline and 20/20. It's partly because you know they're true, but partly because they have an element of randomness and craziness I never see in fictional crime. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Leilani said:

There's articles out about why the genre is hot right now and they said it's because we like being armchair detectives and also feel like we can save ourselves from being a victim of a crime if we watch enough of  these shows.

Yep. That, and for me, as I've said before, it's the "why" of it all. Why does somebody go to these kinds of lengths like this? What on earth would drive somebody to such awful extremes? And yeah, much of the time, the motive is as old as time and pretty obvious-greed, jealousy, stuff like that.

But then you get cases like this, where, while those elements are involved, there's so much more to their motives, so much insanity surrounding why they're killing all these people, a lot of unanswered questions. You've got a freaking apocalyptic cult and manipulative mastermind at the center of all of this. Stuff like that leaves me with the kinds of questions mentioned above, and I just can't help wanting to try to comprehend and understand this kind of evil and horror as a result. 

The craziest to me are high school sweethearts or  couples married 20-30 years and end up murdering the other person. 

Same. Anything relating to families falling apart in general can apply, really. It's just weird to see how those kinds of close bonds can deteriorate as dramatically as they do. And then there's the fact that plenty of couples and families struggle with affairs or financial issues or things of that sort, and yet they don't feel compelled to commit murder over them. So what is it about these particular people in these stories we see and read about that made them choose that route? 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I'm not a Mormon, but I doubt if any of this psychotic, delusional and possibly homicidal behaviour can be attributed to that religion. In fact one of the articles I read said Chad has been kicked out of their Church for claiming to be a prophet. Probably the majority of Mormons are good, normal people. 

Agreed.  I think this is like the Westboro Baptists out of Kansas who claim to be Christian or the the extreme fundamentalism that has gripped Islam and Mormonism in cases like this and Warren Jeffs.  These extreme fringes don't represent the actual religion.  The tenants of the faith have been twisted to suit other purposes.

The only Mormon I've ever met was someone who lived on my floor in a graduate school dorm.  She had converted from Catholicism when she married her husband (a practicing Mormon).  They were living apart so she could attend a specific grad school program, and she would be with her husband on breaks.  She seemed perfectly average to me, and the things that she talked about in Mormonism seemed no different to me than any sacred belief or behavior that anyone might have or practice about his or her own faith.  She seemed to be practicing Mormonism in the mainstream, not as part of a fringe or splinter sect.

• Love 5

For those of you who think the mainstream Mormon beliefs and practices are just like any other faith, try reading the thousands upon thousands of posts on the Recovery Board at exmormon.org.  It's an incredibly fascinating look inside the LDS world via the stories of people who once practiced but fled the church.  They have some recent threads about the Daybell-Vallow case as well. 

Edited by mousegirl
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7

Everything I know about Mormonism I learned from Big Love and The Book of Mormon. And the news articles about that wacko Warren Jeffs. If the kids are alive, which I don’t believe they are, they would already be squirreled away on a compound somewhere in Mexico. Even though Big Love was fictional, some of the plot lines have proven to be accurate when comparing them to the Jeffs case - messianic leader, compounds in Mexico, etc.

One point that still sticks with me is the “several weeks” it took for the police in Idaho to do a welfare check on the kids after being asked to do so by the cops in Arizona. You’d think a request coming from another PD would be treated with a little more urgency.

I’m sure Chad and Lori have donations by the thousands rolling in from their followers. Based on their message board comments, these people would believe literally anything. What price would you pay to be one of the chosen 144,000?  And what better place to wait for the apocalypse than Kauai?  I guess Rexburg loses its consecrated status during the winter  

I hope the feds have at least flagged their passports. The grandparents have stated that the authorities told them more about the investigation that they’d rather not reveal at this time, so I hope these two monsters are taken in soon. 

• Love 8
Just now, Johnny Dollar said:

One point that still sticks with me is the “several weeks” it took for the police in Idaho to do a welfare check on the kids after being asked to do so by the cops in Arizona. You’d think a request coming from another PD would be treated with a little more urgency.

I found this profoundly shocking.  I think the phrase used on the voice-over was "by the time they got around to it."  Two weeks to "get around to" driving by a house in the teeming metropolis of Rexburg, Idaho (allowing for traffic), and knocking on the door to see if two kids were alive or dead?  Your tax dollars at work, apparently.

• Love 11
On 2/17/2020 at 5:04 PM, Leilani said:

A big night for Dateline with the Vallow-Daybell episode.

EQ2BkURU0AApSx_.jpg

Probably because it wasn't a story that's been done a thousand times by a thousand other shows. 

• Love 11