Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

On 10/30/2017 at 8:19 AM, JudyObscure said:

wonder what people would be saying about Chelsea's blonde friend if she had gone back out to pick her up and had a wreck that killed Chelsea because she  was too drunk to drive?  At least she wouldn't have been nationally reviled, it just would have been common, local news.

But see, no one (that I have read) has said that Blonde Mommy had to be the one to go get Chelsea if she was drunk.  If Blonde Mommy could not drive, then TELL someone else who might be able to...like Chelsea's mother, a neighbor, whomever.  Blonde Mommy was buzzed, drunk, or whatever, I get it, but that still doesn't absolve her of not doing something once she knew that a friend of hers was in trouble.  Put forth a little effort for someone who is in need of it.  Don't just say, "Oh, no biggie, I'm shit-faced drunk.  Someone else will help Chelsea."  I certainly hope that Blonde Mommy's kids never are stuck in a situation  and get blown off like their mother blew off Chelsea.

ETA: Cooks, I was a wee little thing in the '70s, so no, I had never heard of a "key party." Ewwwwwwwwww...swinging seemed bad enough.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

I will admit that I'm envious. 

Not because they're so cool but because they're so shallow, so self-centered that they have nothing else to occupy their minds except where's the next party, who's sleeping with who and how much attention can the wolf pack get while in public.

I don't have time to work on my coolness.  I have a job responsibilities that force me to tune into the needs of others.  If there's a shooting, death or unexpected tragedy I go to schools to try to calm students, faculty and administrators and help them make sense or process what happened.  I see clients on a daily basis who truly are in need of help.  My time is a lunch hour - and usually during that hour I take care of mundane, non-glamorous tasks like grocery shopping, balancing checkbooks and planning my schedule for the week next.

Yes.  I am envious.  But I wouldn't want to trade their lives with mine for all the coolness in the world.

Good post Kelly.

You read my mind, Psychoklown. I'm envious of all the energy and free childcare they seem to have. I mean, who the hell with kids and work and a home has the time for this shit? When my kids were young,  I was exhausted all the time. My idea of a good time was going to bed  to SLEEP.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 12
On 10/28/2017 at 4:28 PM, walnutqueen said:

I would NEVER let cops search without a warrant, nor would I provide DNA (or anything else, for that matter).  Not because I have anything to hide, or intend to commit a future crime, but because cops have no rights to this information, and often misuse it.  There is no conformity to how your DNA is collected and saved - some jurisdictions maintain their own databases, and have very lax standards.

I'm just catching up on this thread and my DVR'd Datelines and HAD to comment on this. Two words for you, Walnutqueen - Pam Hupp. We know that's why you don't want your DNA in the system (lol - sorry, I couldn't resist)

• Love 6
11 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I'm just catching up on this thread and my DVR'd Datelines and HAD to comment on this. Two words for you, Walnutqueen - Pam Hupp. We know that's why you don't want your DNA in the system (lol - sorry, I couldn't resist)

HAH!!!  As if I'd ever leave my DNA at a crime scene!   I've picked up a few tricks from all the un-true crime shows I watch, too.   :-D

Although since she's been captured and is facing prosecution on her further crimes, Pam Hupp has moved way down on my "kill if I'm dying list".  I'm now concentrating my murderous fantasies on animal abusers, and, if my illness is prolonged, child molesters.  A girl's got to have her priorities.  ;-)

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Ohmo said:

Blonde Mommy was buzzed, drunk, or whatever, I get it, but that still doesn't absolve her of not doing something once she knew that a friend of hers was in trouble.  Put forth a little effort for someone who is in need of it.  Don't just say, "Oh, no biggie, I'm shit-faced drunk.  Someone else will help Chelsea." 

It's been a few weeks, but the way I remember it was, Blonde Mommy said I'm really drunk and Chelsea, said, "No biggie, I've got other people here who can give me a ride." (Or something like that.)

I think it would have been natural for Chelsea and Blonde Mommy both to think there were other options.  It was a big party, many people knew each other to some extent, and since someone had let her use the phone to call Blonde Mommy, it could be expected that she could make a few more quick calls while she had it in hand.  It would have been most reasonable for Blonde Mommy to think that, as soon as she hung up, Chelsea was going to call her mother.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

HAH!!!  As if I'd ever leave my DNA at a crime scene!   I've picked up a few tricks from all the un-true crime shows I watch, too.   :-D

Although since she's been captured and is facing prosecution on her further crimes, Pam Hupp has moved way down on my "kill if I'm dying list".  I'm now concentrating my murderous fantasies on animal abusers, and, if my illness is prolonged, child molesters.  A girl's got to have her priorities.  ;-)

Ha, good point!

• Love 2

I just watched the episode Black Friday about the murder of a woman named Ashley (sp?). In the first few minutes, the parents discussed her coming out as a lesbian, so I thought the show was going to have something to with it, but it didn't. Another minute or two later, her girlfriend said something about her having a magnetic personality, or something similar; I don't remember the exact wording. That was the limit of her beauty being discussed, which this show loves to harp on. No ugly people are ever murdered or murder others. Only perfect, beautiful, intelligent, other positive traits, even if they are like Sabrina from "The Wolf Pack" {gag} who was absolutely not beautiful but was a murderer.

It hit me wrong for some reason. I usually roll my eyes at the "beautiful" talk, but this time, I rolled my eyes at the lack of it. Also, all the family members and loved ones looked normal. No funny eyebrows, hair colors or hair cuts; just normal people who had psychopaths kill for a little bit of money. It was nice to see Ashley's parents welcome her girlfriend into their lives for the long term, and I'm glad Carter and the boyfriend whatshisnameIdidn'tbothertoremember will spend the rest of their lives in prison. Carter had several more murders in her; that girl was pure psychopath.

• Love 9

I knew they showed the robbery video for a reason. They said Ashley helped identify the robber.  I knew that would be connected to her murder.  

I laughed when the female clerk with glasses called Carter "deep".  I thought of a lot of other things to call her.

At least we got Keith tonight.

• Love 7

Yeah, I was wondering why the heck Megyn Kelly was on here, too. 

The story about Warren Jeffs, though. I'd heard about his creepy cult in the news and all, and remember all the FBI investigation and arrest with him from years back, but ye gods... Just hearing his voice in those clips, hearing the things he said, made my skin crawl. I think he's in for quite a rude awakening when his time is up on this earth. 

And why in the hell was he still allowed to communicate with the people in his cult from prison? He should've been cut off from contact with them entirely, given his propensity to manipulate and control people and the heinous nature of his crimes. 

I felt so much for his poor daughter, and the others who were subjected to such horrific situations. I'm glad she was able to get out and has worked to move on with her life, though, and I wish her well. 

• Love 13

I liked when the prophet's daughter said that the men in plural marriages tend to think they're kings.  You can see it in all their smug grins. I could never stand to watch the one who had his own reality show because he just reeked with self-satisfaction. Sure, when a group of women are brain washed and put in a situation that forces them to compete for the man's attention, he's going to start to believe that he's all that, even if his religion hadn't already taught him that he would be king of his own planet after death.

After a week of reading about all the sexual assaults and rapes in Hollywood, I was feeling kind of dirty and looking forward to a nice clean murder and then we get an incest episode. Blerk.  I was happy for the young women's escape, though.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I liked when the prophet's daughter said that the men in plural marriages tend to think they're kings.  You can see it in all their smug grins. I could never stand to watch the one who had his own reality show because he just reeked with self-satisfaction. Sure, when a group of women are brain washed and put in a situation that forces them to compete for the man's attention, he's going to start to believe that he's all that, even if his religion hadn't already taught him that he would be king of his own planet after death.

Oh, god, you're talking about that "Sister Wives" guy, right? Yeah, I remember seeing clips from that show on "The Soup" and he definitely gives off an obnoxious "I'm such hot stuff" vibe. 

Completely agreed with the rest of your comments as well. 

After a week of reading about all the sexual assaults and rapes in Hollywood, I was feeling kind of dirty and looking forward to a nice clean murder and then we get an incest episode. Blerk. 

Heh, right? Awkward timing, indeed. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

After a week of reading about all the sexual assaults and rapes in Hollywood, I was feeling kind of dirty and looking forward to a nice clean murder and then we get an incest episode. Blerk.  I was happy for the young women's escape, though.

I know.  Then I watched 20/20 ... wouldn't you know, it was about the sexual assault of a college athlete by her coach.  Blech.  

I need some creepy Keith Morrison murder stories - STAT!  ;-)

• Love 8

I'm so glad the daughters got out of that cult. I did wonder why Becky was still wearing her hair in one long braid...

Re the second story, they telegraphed who did it even more than usual. That Carter was a piece of work. She creeped me out at first and then she just disgusted me with her helpless victim act. I hope she rots.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, ridethemaverick said:

I'm so glad the daughters got out of that cult. I did wonder why Becky was still wearing her hair in one long braid...

Re the second story, they telegraphed who did it even more than usual. That Carter was a piece of work. She creeped me out at first and then she just disgusted me with her helpless victim act. I hope she rots.

I'm glad the jury didn't buy that bullshit.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah I am not here for the redemption of Megyn Kelly, don't foist her on my beloved Dateline. Email sent.

What did I miss about Megyn on Dateline?  I don't want to have to boycott Dateline, keep her off.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, partofme said:

What did I miss about Megyn on Dateline?  I don't want to have to boycott Dateline, keep her off.

She did the first hour about Warren Jeffs daughters. 

Did anyone else think that Becky's first husband looked a lot like her father? I was wondering if they were related.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

She did the first hour about Warren Jeffs daughters. 

Did anyone else think that Becky's first husband looked a lot like her father? I was wondering if they were related.

Huh that's weird my dvr only taped the 2nd hour.   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, partofme said:

Huh that's weird my dvr only taped the 2nd hour.   

Your DVR is boycotting Megyn all on its own!

3 hours ago, partofme said:

They kept playing that one clip of her asking/telling the prophet's daughter that the previous two wives didn't like her at all.  I was wondering what MF was doing on Dateline.  Go away!

• Love 4

Regarding the "Black Friday" episode, I thought it was a little weird that so much focus was put on Carter Castenez and not so much on the boyfriend.  To me, they were equally guilty but they portrayed Carter as this mastermind behind both crimes and put more of the spotlight on her.  My guess is that the audience would be more interested in a Caucasian female criminal than a POC.

Another thing - they were both fired from American Apparel for the first theft but no charges were ever pressed against either of them which let these two thieves time to plan and execute their second attempt.  Ashlea was doing her job (loss prevention) and look how it turned out for her - a very unfortunate case of a whistle-blower getting punished in the worst way.   It's unclear if Ashlea was tortured in retaliation for her role in getting the couple fired or they went over the top to get the keys to the safe. If this was violence driven to punish for ratting them out, stuff like this makes people wary of doing their jobs because more and more you see the people who come back to the workplace with a gun to retaliate instead of taking the punishment brought onto themselves.  Hope the cowards never step outside of a prison.

Edited by patty1h
More thoughts
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

On a completely shallow note Carter was quite handsome though he looked better before his court haircut. Guilty as hell but handsome! 

Carter was the woman, Carter Carol Cervantez.  The boyfriend is Clarence David Mallory, whom they kept calling Mallory.

22 minutes ago, patty1h said:

Regarding the "Black Friday" episode, I thought it was a little weird that so much focus was put on Carter Castenez and not so much on the boyfriend.  To me, they were equally guilty but they portrayed Carter as this mastermind behind both crimes and put more of the spotlight on her.  My guess is that the audience would be more interested in a Caucasian female criminal than a POC.

Another thing - they were both fired from American Apparel for the first theft but no charges were ever pressed against either of them which let these two thieves time to plan and execute their second attempt.  Ashlea was doing her job (loss prevention) and look how it turned out for her - a very unfortunate case of a whistle-blower getting punished in the worst way.   It's unclear if Ashlea was tortured in retaliation for her role in getting the couple fired or they went over the top to get the keys to the safe. If this was violence driven to punish for ratting them out, stuff like this makes people wary of doing their jobs because more and more you see the people who come back to the workplace with a gun to retaliate instead of taking the punishment brought onto themselves.  Hope the cowards never step outside of a prison.

They both got Life Without Possibility of Parole, so no they won't be stepping outside prison again.  Yay!!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The family tree in those types of cults is more like a wreath.  For example, Kody Brown (Sisterwives) is related to several of his wives, and several of them are related to each other.  Squicky.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Carter was the woman, Carter Carol Cervantez.  The boyfriend is Clarence David Mallory, whom they kept calling Mallory.

They both got Life Without Possibility of Parole, so no they won't be stepping outside prison again.  Yay!!!

yes yay, but if they had pressed charges for the first theft maybe the murder wouldnt have  happened

• Love 2

Did anyone watch "Secrets at the Sunrise Motel" last night?  It might have been a re-run (I have the flu and my brain has fogged-in completely).  I think I may have watched too many Datelines because the way they showed the picture of Daniel Blizzard at the beginning, I knew immediately that he was the perp.  And boy, the victim's ex daughter-in-law (Jill Taylor, who at one time was involved with Blizzard) is a PIECE OF WORK.  What a self-serving, cold-hearted, snotty little bitch. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, patty1h said:

As far as airtime was concerned, she was the gift that kept on giving. The detective calls her into the office, asks her where she was and she tells a tall tale. Then, when he calls her out for lying, she stammers stupidly and tries to wipe the DNA and fingerprints off the water bottle. Finally, as a gift to all us Dateline watchers, she takes the stand to continue her lies. 

He apparently said, "Attorney," pretty quickly and without giving up much information, like a smart defendant.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Christina said:

As far as airtime was concerned, she was the gift that kept on giving. The detective calls her into the office, asks her where she was and she tells a tall tale. Then, when he calls her out for lying, she stammers stupidly and tries to wipe the DNA and fingerprints off the water bottle. Finally, as a gift to all us Dateline watchers, she takes the stand to continue her lies. 

He apparently said, "Attorney," pretty quickly and without giving up much information, like a smart defendant.

Yes, but they're both where they belong.  If only AEO had pressed charges, Ashlea would probably be alive.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Yes, but they're both where they belong.  If only AEO had pressed charges, Ashlea would probably be alive.

Didnt the cop say the murder happened while they were still investigating the theft? I'm not sure if I heard him correctly. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, patty1h said:

Weren't they both people of color? I thought Carter was Latina.  

This is a case I wish they'd spent more time on instead of more Warren Jeffs crap. I don't have a problem with Megyn Kelly being on Dateline since she does work for NBC now, but the Jeffs story was covered pretty thoroughly,  and I'd never heard of the Black Friday story.

We had a murder suicide case in AZ this weekend that's sure to end up on at least one of these shows. 

Scottsdale Shooting

This guy shot his wife, three-year old daughter and nine-month old son before killing himself. So freaking sad.

The cult members all looked alike. Definitely some cross-in-breeding happening. The women with that freaky hairdo, all dressed in those prairie dresses. I’m guessing Jeffs got a big ol’ fashioned welcome when he got to prison. Getting a taste of his own medicine, I hope, since pedophiles are the lowest rung on the ladder in prison.

If anyone is an early riser, USA is showing Dateline at 4 and 5 am eastern time during the week. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, teebax said:

Weren't they both people of color? I thought Carter was Latina.  

This is a case I wish they'd spent more time on instead of more Warren Jeffs crap. I don't have a problem with Megyn Kelly being on Dateline since she does work for NBC now, but the Jeffs story was covered pretty thoroughly,  and I'd never heard of the Black Friday story.

We had a murder suicide case in AZ this weekend that's sure to end up on at least one of these shows. 

Scottsdale Shooting

This guy shot his wife, three-year old daughter and nine-month old son before killing himself. So freaking sad.

Carter didn't look 100% Hispanic to me; her last name could be Spanish.  She could have been given that name from a stepfather.  I don't know what her history and ancestry is though.

22 hours ago, Christina said:

This is an indication to me that Carter was heavily involved, if not the mastermind.  I'm not saying the boyfriend shouldn't also be in prison, but Carter taking the stand (especially with that outlandish story about ebonics and "ghetto") came across to me as though she was honestly deranged and genuinely thought she was so "smart" that she'd be able to convince a jury of this tale.  The boyfriend came across to me as more of the "oh shit, I'm complicit  and now I'm screwed" type.  I think Carter's actually the scarier one because she's devious.

• Love 9
On 11/12/2017 at 5:52 AM, cooksdelight said:

The cult members all looked alike. Definitely some cross-in-breeding happening. The women with that freaky hairdo, all dressed in those prairie dresses. I’m guessing Jeffs got a big ol’ fashioned welcome when he got to prison. Getting a taste of his own medicine, I hope, since pedophiles are the lowest rung on the ladder in prison.

He is in solitary.  He would be dead by now if he was in the general population.  The prison knows damn well he would not survive 24 hours.  

At the end of the episode I think it was mentioned that a small number still remain in the compound.  I googled but could not find it. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

I never did understand how the Jeffs cult supported all of those wives and children.  I know that without electronics, toys and other "worldly" possessions, the cost per person was probably much lower than average, but still, prairie dresses, hair spray, and food aren't free.  

• Love 3

I saw the interview with Jeff's daughter last week.  I was so glad to see that she finally got out.  You know, it's amazing that even children see the thing for the farce that it is, but, the adults who hang on for dear life.  If a child can see the thing for what it is, why can't the adults? It's really infuriating.  

I did miss one part about her interview.  At one point she says that she was taken into a room by her dad and that was the only time something happened.  Later, I read that she said she was molested by her dad from age eight to sixteen.  What did I miss?  Kelly asked her what happened after she shamed him with a letter and she said it didn't happen again. does that mean, he didn't molest her again?

So, I also saw an interview with Jeff's son and he alleges sexual abuse too. So, was Jeff's really not into women and really more into children of both sexes? 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

I never did understand how the Jeffs cult supported all of those wives and children.  I know that without electronics, toys and other "worldly" possessions, the cost per person was probably much lower than average, but still, prairie dresses, hair spray, and food aren't free.  

I believe the book Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer goes into some of how they support themselves.  A lot of it is actually government support - because all the wives except the first are not legally married (just recognized in their church), the mothers are technically single and the children have a single parent.  So they get government aid both for the women and the large numbers of children they have.

I believe they also have some other sketchy ways of making money, but that's a big element of it.  They consider it righteous to defraud an "evil" government.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, MonicaM said:

Google the term "bleeding the beast."

• Love 6
3 hours ago, pigs-in-space said:

I believe the book Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer goes into some of how they support themselves.  A lot of it is actually government support - because all the wives except the first are not legally married (just recognized in their church), the mothers are technically single and the children have a single parent.  So they get government aid both for the women and the large numbers of children they have.

I believe they also have some other sketchy ways of making money, but that's a big element of it.  They consider it righteous to defraud an "evil" government.

Oh, that's infuriating! 

I didnt realize that that book was about these specific nuts. I love Jon Krakaur's way of writing, so I think I'll read it. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, I also saw an interview with Jeff's son and he alleges sexual abuse too. So, was Jeff's really not into women and really more into children of both sexes? 

For some people sex can be one of those areas for which they say, "The more you get the worse you are."  We heard Jeff's eldest daughter say that at first they were a normal family, then he took a second wife, and still they were fairly happy for a number of years. After that it was a new wife every year or less.  Then the incest and pedophilia started. These men begin to expect to have the heightened excitement of "the first time," with every sexual encounter. 

I first heard this theory, not about FLDS families but about men today who watch so much internet porn they have to go deeper and deeper into forbidden territory to get the same thrill -- and end up like Subway Jared. 

• Love 5

Oh, I see.  I've never heard that explanation. I just thought the male had a certain preference and that's what he went with.  

Ref. the government funds for the wives and children.  In my state, if you apply for public assistance, you have to name the father and then the county sues the father on the child's behalf for child support. So, either the father is paying mom child support or reimbursing the county for the money they have advanced to mom for the child.  I wonder why that isn't done with these people.  And you can't just say you don't know.  They question family members, require DNA testing, etc.  They don't let you just lie about it. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

In my state, if you apply for public assistance, you have to name the father and then the county sues the father on the child's behalf for child support. 

Utah is famous as a haven for polygamists because their welfare laws are so easy to abuse.  Even Kody Brown's family ("Sisterwives" TV show) were bleeding the beast, and the third wife was seen using her food stamps card after the show started - in other words, when they had the income from the show.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Utah is famous as a haven for polygamists because their welfare laws are so easy to abuse.  Even Kody Brown's family ("Sisterwives" TV show) were bleeding the beast, and the third wife was seen using her food stamps card after the show started - in other words, when they had the income from the show.  

You know, I'm apparently far too lazy to be a criminal. I'd not want to deal with the red tape if I had another income. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, bubbls said:

You know, I'm apparently far too lazy to be a criminal. I'd not want to deal with the red tape if I had another income. 

I suspect you're not too lazy to be a criminal; you probably have a code of ethics (like mine) that would keep you from stealing. 

• Love 7