Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: Old Friends

• Start Topic

Dr. Jared Kalu makes a surprise return to San Jose’s St. Bonaventure Hospital with his billionaire patient. Meanwhile, Park must treat the man his wife had an affair with and try to find a way to forgive him.

Original airdate 3/6/23

• Like 1

Honestly, I am surprised that it has taken this long for Shaun to be sued. 

5 hours ago, greekmom said:

I think this episode is called "Old Friends"

The Good Lawyer is next week.

The backdoor pilot was supposed to be this week, but they had to push the schedule back a week because of the SOTU, I believe.

• Like 2

Happy to see Jared again, although I'm surprised that it looks like he's sticking around for a bit.  Granted, I haven't seen Chuku Modu in anything after his time on The 100, so maybe he had a long enough of a break to want to go back to something familiar.  It's been a while, but I feel like his relationship with Shaun here still mainly tracks.  They were never the best of friends, but I remember them having a form of respect of one another and I can see why Shaun would be happy to see him again because of that.  But I'm curious about him being a first year resident again.  Definitely felt like there was some mixed emotion from him about it.  My guess is we'll get at least one story where he will try to act like he is more than that and cause friction with either Jordan or Asher.

Heh, poor Andrews though was probably thinking "Dammit, Jared!  Could you at least wait until I cashed the check before you tell your billionaire boss you are done?!" at the end.

I remember seasons back that they talked about the idea of Jordan's religious views making her struggle with the idea that sometimes an abortion is necessary to save the would be mother's life.  I understand both the mother and her initial reactions, but yeah, Reznick was pretty much on point here and it almost went south for everyone.  At least Jordan did find a way to get through to their patient at the end and even performed the surgery.  It's not a pleasant one, but those are cases that need to be done sometimes.

Glad Park was able to "forgive" his wife's affair partner because he was clearly letting his resentment make things worse for those around him (his poor sparring partner!)  Always great seeing Nicholas Lea as well.

Lea and Glassman continue to make for a fun duo.

So, Shaun gets served!  Guess what time it is!  It's backdoor pilot time!!

• Like 4

So happy to see Jared again! He's looking good :). I liked hearing about what he'd been up to, though yeah, those cool perks he got working for that guy didn't seem worth the trouble the guy seemed to be causing him. I'm glad that he's coming back, and I look forward to seeing how he resettles in at St. Bonaventure. It was fun to see him and Shaun working together again, and I liked seeing him and Asher hit it off, too. I hope we get to see more of him interacting with the doctors that came on after he left. 

Agreed that Morgan's stance on everything with the woman and her baby was the right way to go. That said, damn if I didn't get emotional during that whole scene with the woman's surgery. That was very powerful and heartbreaking. I liked Morgan and Jordan being by her side through all of that, and the woman's husband getting that "Esther" tattoo at the end...:'). 

Park definitely had some issues to work out, and I'm glad he was ultimately able to resolve them. I feel like him forgiving that guy had more to do with him taking that weight off his own shoulders than it did any attempt to make the other guy feel better. 

I like Shaun and Lea's new car! And I love Shaun referring to the baby as "the peanut" :p. But ooh, getting served with those papers at the end... Guess we'll see how this all plays out next week!

• Like 6

I'm not 100% sure the episodes were out of order because I thought that the dick billionaire served Shaun because he was part of the reason that Jared quit.

Liked the new car. Enjoyed seeing Jared again.  I disliked Jordan's case. Did she lie that she had an abortion to make the patient feel ok?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, greekmom said:

I think this episode is called "Old Friends"

The Good Lawyer is next week.

You're right.  the next episode is called The Good Lawyer.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I liked seeing [Jared] and Asher hit it off

That sidelong look Asher gave him was hilarious.

3 hours ago, greekmom said:

I disliked Jordan's case. Did she lie that she had an abortion to make the patient feel ok?

No I'm pretty sure she's admitted to having one before this.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Starchild said:

That sidelong look Asher gave him was hilarious.

No I'm pretty sure she's admitted to having one before this.

I’m also confused.  I thought she had said she wasn’t sexually active and was waiting for marriage.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
(edited)

In season 4. This is from the show wiki:

"In "Lim," Jordan is assigned to perform an abortion, but she refuses due to her religious beliefs. She later changes her mind, but is forced to walk out during the procedure and a short-tempered Lim assigns Jordan to scut work as a punishment. Jordan later admits to Lim that her behavior was not just motivated by her religious beliefs, but the fact that Jordan herself had an abortion, choosing to place her career over motherhood, although Jordan doesn't regret her choice. To Jordan's surprise, a sympathetic Lim places her back on surgery after hearing her story."

Edited by Starchild
Highlighted the relevant part of the quote
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

In a show about a disabled character, the main character, the writers still cannot escape the trope of "your child might have neurological complications, have CP" without any retort or context. One sentence. They don't need to change the script - although sometimes they should because bad writing is bad writing - but they can include ONE sentence to indicate that disability does not mean terminal or the ultimate tragedy.  But they have no trouble inserting religion and religious beliefs. As someone who supports disability rights and who loathe religion, it is really annoying, if not predictable.

I don't remember Jared. At all. Will have to go back and watch the earlier seasons. 

There was some fawning over the billionaire just because he was a billionaire. Since I think billionaires shouldn't exist, I was hoping that he would die. Alas, it didn't happen.

Was the car thing a product placement? All the fuss about it, I don't pay attention to cars so I have no idea.

I am not sure how things work but I think Shaun would have been served at the hospital, not his home. Another recycled plot that has been done in every single medical drama, something that is not dramatic at all. Hospitals make deals, the doctor rarely gets punished, even if they actually commit a blatant error and killed someone. I don't remember Shaun having any cases where he was neglectful or made such a terrible error. He is annoying at times, and the stories can be quite ridiculous but that would require crossing the wall that separate reality from fiction. It is not Shaun that should be sued for malpractice. It is the writers 😛 (although this season has been better than previous ones)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
33 minutes ago, Driad said:

What would happen if Andrews taped the check back together and deposited it?

I was confused by the new car too.

I was wondering what would happen if Andrews did that, too. It worked for Johnny when he taped back together his stepfather’s check that he’d earlier ripped, on Cobra Kai (which got mentioned in this episode by Daniel, which was also the name of Johnny’s rival in that show; I’m sure it was completely coincidental. Lol). But I knew he probably wouldn’t be happy about Jared deciding to leave his employment.

About the new car, my only question was whether or not Lea kept her original.

Nice to see Jared back, and if he’s going to return, Shaun is no longer the only resident left from the pilot.

Seeing the preview for the backdoor Good Lawyer pilot makes me realize it’s been longer than it feels since The Good Doctor premiered.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Virtual said:

I was wondering what would happen if Andrews did that, too. It worked for Johnny when he taped back together his stepfather’s check that he’d earlier ripped, on Cobra Kai (which got mentioned in this episode by Daniel, which was also the name of Johnny’s rival in that show; I’m sure it was completely coincidental. Lol). But I knew he probably wouldn’t be happy about Jared deciding to leave his employment.

About the new car, my only question was whether or not Lea kept her original.

Nice to see Jared back, and if he’s going to return, Shaun is no longer the only resident left from the pilot.

Seeing the preview for the backdoor Good Lawyer pilot makes me realize it’s been longer than it feels since The Good Doctor premiered.

Wondering if Claire will return.  She and Jared were close.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, circumvent said:

In a show about a disabled character, the main character, the writers still cannot escape the trope of "your child might have neurological complications, have CP" without any retort or context. One sentence. They don't need to change the script - although sometimes they should because bad writing is bad writing - but they can include ONE sentence to indicate that disability does not mean terminal or the ultimate tragedy.  But they have no trouble inserting religion and religious beliefs. As someone who supports disability rights and who loathe religion, it is really annoying, if not predictable.

I don't remember Jared. At all. Will have to go back and watch the earlier seasons. 

Yuuuuuuuuuup I was thinking the same about that medical complications bit - I was born at 25 weeks, I'm alive. I'm a little dinged up, but I am here (mild CP, autism, ADHD). How far along was that woman anyway? She seemed like she was further along than 22 weeks.

Jared was present for ~70% of the first season, iirc.

• Like 2
On 3/7/2023 at 6:21 AM, greekmom said:

I'm not 100% sure the episodes were out of order because I thought that the dick billionaire served Shaun because he was part of the reason that Jared quit.

Liked the new car. Enjoyed seeing Jared again.  I disliked Jordan's case. Did she lie that she had an abortion to make the patient feel ok?

I took her story at face value simply because it explains why she now has such strong religious beliefs. She believes she has found redemption, but within the tenets, I’m not sure that’s how true forgiveness works. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, circumvent said:

I don't remember Jared. At all.

I remember him and the scene that led to his termination. Oddly, I didn’t remember the prominent accent, and was shocked when he opened his mouth.

• Like 4
On 3/7/2023 at 1:28 AM, Annber03 said:

I like Shaun and Lea's new car!

I didn't quite understand that bit.  Did Glassy get the car or did Leah pick it out (or rather, I have to assume they gave it a custom paint job)?  Pretty generous of Glassman if it was him.

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I didn't quite understand that bit.  Did Glassy get the car or did Leah pick it out (or rather, I have to assume they gave it a custom paint job)?  Pretty generous of Glassman if it was him.

I have to assume that Shaun had a list somewhere of cars (along with however it would be paid for all detailed), then Leah got it and it got a paint job. I wouldn't be surprised if Glassman (As the baby's grandfather) gave a bit of a down payment for the car - since it doesn't seem like he is rebuilding his house at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I can't say I liked this episode much.  I really liked Dr. Kalu during his early run on the show, but for some reason, I didn't find him likeable in this one.  I feel suspicious of him and something that just seems off.  

7 hours ago, rmontro said:

Lea was looking at cars on internet, when Glassman had the delivery of the stadium seats. I guess it's where she picked up the idea of customizing the car as her other one, like Glassman finally chose to have something he can use as seat but with a cool factor.

• Useful 2
On 3/6/2023 at 10:09 PM, bros402 said:

Honestly, I am surprised that it has taken this long for Shaun to be sued. 

The backdoor pilot was supposed to be this week, but they had to push the schedule back a week because of the SOTU, I believe.

What's the SOTU?

On 3/10/2023 at 2:51 AM, Fable said:

I can't say I liked this episode much.  I really liked Dr. Kalu during his early run on the show, but for some reason, I didn't find him likeable in this one.  I feel suspicious of him and something that just seems off.  

Justifiably, as it seems he stomped off to become a concierge doc. I don’t feel a bit sorry for him, that he has to start from the point he left the hospital. He was fired for cause, and if he wants redemption, he has to do the work. 

• Like 1

I remember liking Jared a lot when he was around, even if what led to firing wasn't a great look and was just another headache for poor Claire, but I was surprised to see him again, especially with him apparently sticking around. His boss seemed like a real sleazeball, no wonder going back to the hospital seemed like a decent idea, even with his massive salary. I am really curious as to how he works with the new cast and how he and Shaun play off each other now with this new power dynamic of Jared being Shaun's resident. 

Andrews is going to be the one to slug someone after Jared came back only to end up accidently costing him a crap ton of money from the rich sleazeball. He was so close to finally getting that golden goose donor. 

I almost thought that the show would manage to save the mom while letting her keep the baby, but they actually did manage to end one of their subplots on a less than happy note for the first time in awhile. Its bittersweet, I really felt badly for the couple, but I am glad that they ended up listening to Morgan's plan and that Jordan got through to the patient. I know that abortion of any kind is really rough and really personal for Jordan, but I thought she did a pretty good job at keeping it professional as much as she could, certainly more than she might have in the past. Morgan and Jordan were even able to talk over the issue without anyone getting too salty, which really does show growth for both of them. 

On to the backdoor pilot!

• Like 2

Nice to see Jared back. It's been a while. I guess Andrew should have asked for the check ahead of surgery? Though Jared, if he wanted to mend fences, he could have told his boss it was his decision to go back to St. Bon's, and that Andrews had no influence on his decision.

And in the pregnancy case, the glaring omission is that there were no OB or pre-natal surgeon overseeing the case. Lim is not an OB, and Jordan is not an OB resident. And again the lack of specialties is making these surgeons seem like a joke. Jordan can do a D&E now?

And I do wonder did Lea actually get rid of her Starsky & Hutch car to get that new one? I would hope not because that is a classic. She wouldn't drive it when taking the baby, but it'd be nice to have around if she wants to go out on the town baby-free.

• Like 1