Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Misdeeds

• Start Topic

On 5/1/2023 at 5:01 PM, Mabinogia said:

And with one quote he just became about 70% less attractive. Even if they had feet for faces, they're babies, just say they weren't charismatic, or they cried even more, or they just didn't work out. I know that there is a contingent of people in the world who think being an ass is "sexy" but being a decent human being who doesn't make fun of children's looks after firing babies for crying too much is way hotter. 

He was attractive? 🤣

• LOL 6
15 minutes ago, greekmom said:

A bit late in the game but what does this woman have? The equivalent of 9 lives of a cat regarding jail???

She is a flight risk 100%.

Emily D. Baker  was talking about this on her live show on YouTube yesterday.     She was all, she was indicted in 2018, she was convicted in January 2022, sentenced in November 2022 -- "it's time for her to go to jail.  Go. To. Jail."  She was staring hard at the camera in a "can you believe this isht" kinda way.

Anyone else is in jail pending the outcome of her appeal.    But pretty blonde girls who scammed some pretty famous people apparently get special treatment.

• Like 8
  • Useful 5
19 hours ago, AstridM said:

He was attractive? 🤣

He was never my type but I remember a lot of my contemporaries swooning over Uncle Jesse. I was more into Uncle Joey at the time as I like funny guys.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

He was never my type but I remember a lot of my contemporaries swooning over Uncle Jesse. I was more into Uncle Joey at the time as I like funny guys.

To each one's own but is that with or without a mute button included and would it have helped  Uncle Jesse's case had he been dubbed doing Popeye and/or Bullwinkle imitations?

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

Perhaps this story should be in the Predator thread.  I can’t believe I’m posting again about violence and Chris Brown.  I fear his friends and colleagues will placate him until one day he really goes too far.  It’s pathetic.  I was surprised that he was pulled from doing a MJ special performance in tribute to MJ last year at the AMA. No word as to why.  Hmmmmm…..

https://www.tmz.com/2023/05/06/chris-brown-arguing-usher-video-fight-jumped-vegas/

https://pagesix.com/2023/05/06/chris-brown-seen-arguing-with-usher-in-new-video-amid-reports-of-fight/

https://www.etonline.com/american-music-awards-production-company-addresses-canceled-chris-brown-and-ciara-michael-jackson

• Sad 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Perhaps this story should be in the Predator thread.  I can’t believe I’m posting again about violence and Chris Brown.  I fear his friends and colleagues will placate him until one day he really goes too far.  It’s pathetic.  I was surprised that he was pulled from doing a MJ special performance in tribute to MJ last year at the AMA. No word as to why.  Hmmmmm…..

https://www.tmz.com/2023/05/06/chris-brown-arguing-usher-video-fight-jumped-vegas/

https://pagesix.com/2023/05/06/chris-brown-seen-arguing-with-usher-in-new-video-amid-reports-of-fight/

https://www.etonline.com/american-music-awards-production-company-addresses-canceled-chris-brown-and-ciara-michael-jackson

I agree! Wasn't one performer (Jerry Lee Lewis) 'jokingly' nicknamed 'The Killer' already one too many?! YEESH!!!*

Yet but one more example of someone whose stans convinced themselves had been  'unfairly persecuted' for the least of their misdeeds instead of just considering that this individual in question deserved to be arrested and imprisoned for what he had done to others- just so they could keep patronizing the products and not have to admit to themselves they'd been WRONG about said performer.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3

Idk. I no longer watch most award shows, but Brown tributing MJ would have certainly been a spectacle, imo. That’s all I’ll say about that.  Maybe, someone brought that to the PTB’s attention.  Regardless, he wasn’t happy.  He sure has a lot of love from a lot of people, no matter what he does. That amazes me.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Idk. I no longer watch most award shows, but Brown tributing MJ would have certainly been a spectacle, imo. That’s all I’ll say about that.  Maybe, someone brought that to the PTB’s attention.  

Based on reports at the time that is exactly what happened. Someone at ABC realized how bad it looked and pulled the plug. 

(edited)
On 5/3/2023 at 7:13 AM, greekmom said:

bit late in the game but what does this woman have? The equivalent of 9 lives of a cat regarding jail???

Elizabeth Holmes was a misunderstood woman trying to make the world a better place. Besides, she’s Liz now thankyouverymuch. 😜

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/07/business/elizabeth-holmes-theranos-interview.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 5
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

Here's a non paywalled summary of the Elizabeth Holmes interview. NYT told me no more reading unless I pay when I tried to read it there.  I don't think I've read anything on their site recently though.

Elizabeth Holmes went to Burning Man, torched an effigy for Theranos, then spent 6 months living in an RV while prosecutors built a case against her for fraudulent business practices

They're two separate articles by different writers. Too bad NYT is paywalling the one I posted. Elizabeth - sorry Liz - with her husband and baby at daycare. How Elizabeth was under Sunny's spell but Liz has broken free! The author buys into all it. It's something.

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Hey I met with a conwoman, turns out she is really cool.   No, there is no way she conned me, why would you ask that question?

Sums up the article and its author perfectly.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

While it’s not really a “misdeed” per se as much as it’s a moment where he should have just kept his mouth shut, what the actual fuck, Richard Dreyfuss?!?!i

The link isn’t working at the moment but I’m guessing it’s the Oscar diversity requirement comments.  

I’m not particularly surprised that he doesn’t get the importance of inclusion but am surprised that he unabashedly went straight to full blown racist comments. 

During the conversation, Dreyfuss praised Laurence Olivier’s performance of “Othello” performed in blackface in 1965. “Am I being told that I will never have a chance to play a Black man?” Dreyfuss asked rhetorically. “Are we crazy? Do we not know that art is art?”

Hoover pushed Dreyfuss, challenging him to clarify whether people of another race should be allowed to represent groups they do not belong to.

“Do you think there’s a difference between the question of…who is allowed to represent other groups…and the case of blackface explicitly in this country given the history of slavery and the sensitivities around Black racism?” the journalist followed up.

“There shouldn’t be,” Dreyfus responded. “Because it’s patronizing.”

I also liked that whoever wrote the article I linked put in that every single movie nominated in the past would have met the new requirements. Highlighting just how ineffectual they are and making it clear the comments really aren’t about the new rules. Sounds like a conversation about the rules provided an opportunity for Dreyfuss to expose himself. 

20 minutes ago, Dani said:

“Am I being told that I will never have a chance to play a Black man?” Dreyfuss asked rhetorically.

I'm going to say, Yes. Yes, you - specifically you, Richard Dreyfuss - will never have the chance to play a Black man.

• Like 19
  • Applause 5
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Trini said:

I'm going to say, Yes. Yes, you - specifically you, Richard Dreyfuss - will never have the chance to play a Black man.

I would say he has a chance if he really wants one. Sure he could probably find some idiot to fund a little indie movie where he plays the lead in a Barack Obama biopic. He wouldn't of course go to jail for it. But the question back to him would be why would you want to play a Black man, and what do you think would be the public response if you did?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
27 minutes ago, Dani said:

I also liked that whoever wrote the article I linked put in that every single movie nominated in the past would have met the new requirements. Highlighting just how ineffectual they are and making it clear the comments really aren’t about the new rules. Sounds like a conversation about the rules provided an opportunity for Dreyfuss to expose himself. 

Yeah.  it is giving 'tell me you haven't actually read the requirements and only heard the word 'diversity.' 

The bar for meeting the requirements is dead low.  You have to meet 2 out of 4 categories to meet the standards.  Only one of the categories involve on screen talent.  The rest are crew, departments, marketing, and internships. And 'Women' is considered an under-represented group. 

Also this take always annoys me.  There is such a thing as verisimilitude. If acting/film making was pure craft  then there'd be no need for make up or sets of wardrobe.   Olivier would not have needed black face to portray Othello.  He could have just done it in his own white face.  But if the script (another piece of craft) calls for a character to have certain physical characteristics, why not respect that?  Why is your acting craft more important than the whole of the story?  Also things don't exist in a vacuum.

• Like 19
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Olivier would not have needed black face to portray Othello.  He could have just done it in his own white face.

He could have, but that brings it's own set of problems. No paywall on the article, but you can't use adblockers on the site.

https://www.inverse.com/article/7139-the-forgotten-story-of-orson-welles-all-black-macbeth-production

Welles also played Othello in 1951, a bit over a decade before Olivier and much earlier than Laurence Fishburne's 1995 portrayal of the character. In today's modern climate, 'could' is hardly the same as 'should'.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Dani said:

While I can sympathize with him about hating being told how to do one's art, I think Dreyfuss is conflating a number of issues:

Appearing in blackface: No. Just no. It's been made clear that this is offensive, and if that's the path he wants to go down, then he can expect the rest of us to treat him like the asshole he is.

Portraying a Black man:  Why?  Everything else aside, wouldn't it just be easier to cast a black man? (Assuming it's not some science fiction movie where a white man is seen by everyone else as black or something)

Portraying Othello: Nothing stopping him. Setting aside the ambiguous history of Othello's race, Shakespeare's plays (and the stage in general) offer all sorts avenues of experimentation, they did The Tempest with Prospero as a woman (Helen Mirren) and in the 90's there was a TV version King Lear as a Western (with Patrick Stewart) and even a reverse race casting of Othello again with Patrick Stewart as Othello and the rest of the cast was black.

• Like 11
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yes, that was it. So sorry.

I also want to add that it is possible to appreciate Oliver's acting in Othello while acknowledging the blackface was fucked up.

Second this. Fred Astaire wore blackface for the "Bojangles of Harlem" number in Swing Time, and the routine is absolutely, positively, off the wall great... but he still wore fucking blackface. Both these things are true: the number is amazing, the blackface is anything but, so let's not do that sort of shit ever again, 'k? We can learn from the mistakes of the past, while acknowledging nuances.

Spencer Tracy was memorable as a Portuguese fisherman in Captains Courageous... but he was also a white dude in brown makeup and a dodgy accent, so let's not repeat that mistake. This is now, that was 1937. We're better that that... I hope.

Even though we need another Peter Pan adaptation like we need a hole in the head (seriously, it's like we get one every two years), at least they finally started casting Indigenous actresses to play Tiger Lily (not to mention actually giving her something to do). Bear in mind, though, I haven't forgotten that it's been less than a decade since the Pan debacle.

Dreyfuss needs to un-twist his fucking panties and shut the hell up. He's not losing parts, he's not going anywhere, I think he's just looking for something to bitch about. 

• Like 15
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Dreyfuss needs to un-twist his fucking panties and shut the hell up. He's not losing parts, he's not going anywhere, I think he's just looking for something to bitch about. 

That's my take. He has been a working actor long enough that if he'd wanted to play a black man he would have by now. He just doesn't want his choices taken away and given to someone else because he's used to having all the options. He doesn't get how hard it is when your options are limited due to your skin color. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 12

I wish I could say I was surprised about Dreyfuss. When older men around his age actually act progressive instead of reacting the way he did, that's when I get surprised. 

I saw this on Twitter a few minutes ago. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

That's my take. He has been a working actor long enough that if he'd wanted to play a black man he would have by now. He just doesn't want his choices taken away and given to someone else because he's used to having all the options. He doesn't get how hard it is when your options are limited due to your skin color. 

👏 Isn’t that just the perfect explanation of what is happening in these situations. They are like spoiled toddlers have a temper tantrum because they had to share or someone finally told them no. If Dreyfuss had even a modicum of true empathy he might realize that what he is feeling now is what actors who aren’t straight, white males have faced every day. But, nope, he only looks at how he feels restricted. 

One of my favorites quotes when people complain about increased representation comes from Kumail Nanjiani. 

"Some of my favorite movies are by straight white dudes about straight white dudes," he said. "Now, straight white dudes can watch movies starring me and you relate to that. It's not that hard. I've done it my whole life."

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Be a Patrick Stewart, not a Richard Dreyfuss.

lisa kudrow pool GIF by The Comeback HBO

1 hour ago, Dani said:

One of my favorites quotes when people complain about increased representation comes from Kumail Nanjiani. 

"Some of my favorite movies are by straight white dudes about straight white dudes," he said. "Now, straight white dudes can watch movies starring me and you relate to that. It's not that hard. I've done it my whole life."

I like that quote. I never understood the argument that you have to be the same race as the characters of the shows you love. What I do understand is that, if your race only has a handful of characters out there, that it is shitty as hell for some white dude to go around complaining because he can't take one away from you. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

If Dreyfuss had even a modicum of true empathy it might realize that what he is feeling now is what actors who aren’t straight, white males have faced every day. But, nope, he only looks at how he feels restricted. 

Seriously. This should be an eye opener for him. This is how it has felt for decades, centuries for people not in the majority. Only difference is, he still has more opportunities than they do. In other words, SHUT THE FUCK UP DREYFUSS.

Also, Patrick Stewart is awesome and a reverse of Othello is very intriguing. That is not trying to take from the minority. Blackfacing to portray another race is just... no

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Going waaaay back, the title character in Gunga Din was played by the white, Jewish Sam Jaffe. The movie is in black and white, which makes it a bit less obvious. I think most people don't remember it exists or it would be mentioned more often when blackface comes up. 

• Useful 3
18 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I like that quote. I never understood the argument that you have to be the same race as the characters of the shows you love. What I do understand is that, if your race only has a handful of characters out there, that it is shitty as hell for some white dude to go around complaining because he can't take one away from you.

What infuriates me is that they sing a different tune when the when the shoe is on the other foot. For decades we were essentially told that it was fine that characters weren’t diverse because the human experience is universal. You still get some form of that argument with projects that aren’t diverse. But really they mean that the white experience is universal and everyone should relate to it and that is a one way street.

In addition to what everyone else has said about Dreyfuss, how pompous can  Mr. Jaws Close Encounters get?!  Even when he was younger, I seriously doubt that the Globe Theatre producers were pounding on his dressing room door pleading with him to play Othello (and it wouldn't matter if he wore a Bozo costume or even no makeup)!  Othello was one of Shakespeare's most pivotal tragic characters but had a LOT of charisma to the point that his young bride Desdimona's father was in total denial that his daughter could have possibly been willing to have married much less could have had ANY interest in this military man despite of how he had successfully climbed up the ranks due to his determination that shined in spite of the prejudice against his unconventional background.

Seriously, Dreyfuss would have more luck getting the part of Grendel's Mother in a Beowulf production!

• Like 7

Reading about Dreyfuss is disappointing as I am SHOCKED at his words and beliefs in terms of acting. I’m glad that there isn’t anything similar about the late Sheriff Martin Brody Roy Scheider. And if there is, I DON’T want to know! At least there are a few who ARE what they seem and I’m not putting their names out in the universe!

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Reading about Dreyfuss is disappointing as I am SHOCKED at his words and beliefs in terms of acting. I’m glad that there isn’t anything similar about the late Sheriff Martin Brody Roy Scheider. And if there is, I DON’T want to know! At least there are a few who ARE what they seem and I’m not putting their names out in the universe!

I'm going to follow your example!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

To me it seems like Richard Dreyfuss has always had a bit of a Napoleon Complex that is manifesting itself more and more as sour grapes.

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
22 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Also, Patrick Stewart is awesome and a reverse of Othello is very intriguing. That is not trying to take from the minority. Blackfacing to portray another race is just... no

And you know what?  I always wonder why when the question of diverse casting in film comes up and the actor starts squawking about the purity of the art form and it is acting, why is the go to always about black face (or brown face or yellow face)? 

Why does he not question being able to play a role written for and about a cis gender woman?  and I don''t mean gender flipping a reboot played by a woman previously but now cast for man, but an honest to goodness role specifically written for a woman. 

"Hey  we really wanted Helen Mirren in the role of Mary Jones the dissatisfied suburban wife of a carpet salesman, but Richard's audition was so fantastic we went with him instead."

At least Scarlett Johannsen entertained the idea of being a tree.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
31 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

"Hey  we really wanted Helen Mirren in the role of Mary Jones the dissatisfied suburban wife of a carpet salesman, but Richard's audition was so fantastic we went with him instead."

First off, no one in their right mind would chose that has been over Helen Bloody Mirren. Hell, I'd cast her in any role ever. (I might be slightly biased. I love that woman).

Second, it reminds me of this...  Leading Lady Parts - BBC Very funny, but also a bit sad if you think too much about it. 

It does always seem to be about race with these guys. I don't hear a lot of actors pissed off because they can't get cast in a great role because it is a female character. Oh, wait, there are no great female roles. Silly me. (kidding, I know there are, but they really aren't as plentiful as the roles for men, specifically for straight, white men who can play almost any kind of character they want, sexy, funny, action heroes, villains, cops, robbers, rapists, saviours, or really anything. 

For minorities, be it via race, gender, sexual preference, there are far fewer options. That is what is so annoying about Dreyfuss's complaint. He has had access to a myriad of different roles. Why does he have to complain about not being able to play a black character? WTeverlovingF?

• Like 8
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

And you know what?  I always wonder why when the question of diverse casting in film comes up and the actor starts squawking about the purity of the art form and it is acting, why is the go to always about black face (or brown face or yellow face)? 

Why does he not question being able to play a role written for and about a cis gender woman?  and I don''t mean gender flipping a reboot played by a woman previously but now cast for man, but an honest to goodness role specifically written for a woman.

Well, I mean racism, as we all know, but I think also because they theoretically could play a cisgender woman. Like, it happens in comedies a lot, not so much Great Female Roles, but no one cares that Eddie Murphy and Tyler Perry play women all the time. The mom in Hairspray is always played by a man, but maybe that's not a good example since the role was originated by a drag queen. Linda Hunt and Cate Blanchett won various awards playing cisgender men.

I don't see that happening for Richard Dreyfuss anytime soon, and it would probably always be considered "stunt casting," were this sort of casting to happen again. But the Richard Dreyfusses can't argue that men could never get away with playing a woman, because it's not true.

• Like 6
On 5/9/2023 at 9:01 AM, bluegirl147 said:

It's getting harder and harder to avoid TV shows/movies/music that have at least one problematic person.  

Welcome to the Age of the Internet!

On 5/9/2023 at 9:14 PM, janie jones said:

Well, I mean racism, as we all know, but I think also because they theoretically could play a cisgender woman. Like, it happens in comedies a lot, not so much Great Female Roles, but no one cares that Eddie Murphy and Tyler Perry play women all the time. The mom in Hairspray is always played by a man, but maybe that's not a good example since the role was originated by a drag queen. Linda Hunt and Cate Blanchett won various awards playing cisgender men.

I guess it depends on if it's seen as 'edgy'. No one batted an eye when Tilda Swinton put on a suit to play the archangel Gabriel in Constantine, but John Travolta in the remake of Hairspray got quite a few laughs, if only because of the fat suit. Most of the time, it seems like actors and actresses are supposed to stay in their lane, or stick to what they know, however you prefer to define it.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

What do you all think about actors who are mixed race/ethnically ambiguous? 

I think it really depends on the situation. 

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

What do you all think about actors who are mixed race/ethnically ambiguous? 

AFAIC, as long as a performer is talented, pigmentation is irrelevant.

Yul Brynner (one-quarter Swiss, one-quarter Buryat and half Russian in background)  gave some amazing performances  from the Pharaoh Ramses to the King of Siam.

Dwayne Johnson( half African-American, half Samoan) has also had some good performances.

Ben Kingsley (half East Indian, half British) has been able to play a great variety of roles.

Jason Momoa (half- Native Hawaiian, half-European) has also been making a good career.

The list goes on. . .

• Like 6
42 minutes ago, Blergh said:

AFAIC, as long as a performer is talented, pigmentation is irrelevant.

I think pigmentation can be very relevant in certain situations. Brynner is in yellowface to play the King of Siam and that’s a problem. I don’t blame him for it and I like the movie but that role is deeply problematic. 

A similar situation (without the yellow face element) is playing out right now with Lilo and Stitch. The actress they cast as Nani is lighter skinned than the character in the original. Often that would matter to me much at all (beyond irritation of Hollywood continuing colorism issues) but the original Nani was seen as representative as a dark skinned Native Hawaiian who didn’t conform to Eurocentric beauty standards. Often I am happy with any Asian representation but in this case I am disappointed by the colorism and featurism happening. 

Elizabeth Holmes' final attempt to weasel her way out of jail fails.

Disgraced Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes appears to be soon bound for prison after an appeals court Tuesday rejected her bid to remain free while she tries to overturn her conviction in a blood-testing hoax that brought her fleeting fame and fortune.

In another ruling issued late Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Edward Davila ordered Holmes to pay $452 million in restitution to the victims of her crimes. Holmes is being held jointly liable for that amount with her former lover and top Theranos lieutenant, Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani, who is already in prison after being convicted on a broader range of felonies in a separate trial.

She's probably broke and no one will get any money, but she'll have it hanging over her head for the rest of her life.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Anduin said:

Oh, but I was really hoping for Liz Holmes, the loving mother, to escape such a fate

It's really sad that Liz has to pay for the Sins of Elizabeth. 😞

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 2
  • LOL 11
(edited)

I love it.   Of course a new surrender date has to be set and who knows when that will be.   Or what she will try to get out of it in the meantime.

ETA. New suurender date is May 30.  Just 13 days.  In other words the judge has HAD it.  She's had plenty of time to get her affairs in order.  Off she goes.

Her new SO is rich, she is never going to be broke.   She will just have nothing in her name so it can't be seized.   She won't work.   It will be OJ all over again.   

Edited by merylinkid
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2