Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked, that this didn't work out.

beautiful-woman-sitting-pretends-to-be-s

9 hours ago, Zella said:

She filed on their anniversary! And per some other stuff I read, they didn't have a prenup. 

galavant1.6.gif

I guess the 4th time wasn't the charm for JLo.

But honestly, what did they think was going to happen? What, that 20 years apart would magically change the fundamental differences between them? That she would stop trying to be ON at all times and constantly be out and about while he just wants to hang out at home and occasionally go outside and smoke in peace?

ben-affleck-regret.gif

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Like 7
  • LOL 15
25 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

But honestly, what did they think was going to happen? What, that 20 years apart would magically change the fundamental differences between them?

This. 

And Jennifer, there’s no shame in just admitting you’re ultimately aren’t good at marriage. Drew Barrymore did it, and we didn’t think any less of her for it.

• Like 22
  • Applause 1

Gosh darn it, I was hoping those two crazy, fifty-something kids would make it work the second time!

I assure you that I'm not completely unromantic, and some people can revive a past relationship and make it work after another try, but I consider those instances the exception, not the rule. Even waaaaayyyy back in the day, I never bought "Bennifer" (ugh) as a couple, so it was only a matter of time before their relationship imploded yet again.

Let me reiterate: More often than not, it's best to leave the past in the past. Nostalgia can often make us do dumb stuff.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

This. 

And Jennifer, there’s no shame in just admitting you’re ultimately aren’t good at marriage. Drew Barrymore did it, and we didn’t think any less of her for it.

Thank you! And I bet the good Ms. Barrymore is happier for admitting this to herself!

• Like 10
1 minute ago, Palimelon said:

I mean, she is only 55 years old, she still has time for another 3 marriages or so.

Okay, fine, fair. Elizabeth Taylor married for the final time at age 59, so JLo better get a move-on. 

• LOL 17
3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked, that this didn't work out.

galavant1.6.gif

I'm shocked AND stunned.

Where does that gif come from? It's so familiar but I can't place it.

• Like 4

I have nothing against Ben or JLO, and I am in no way a fan of either, but I was really hoping that they would live happily ever after.

I must say that I am glad that JLO has a close relationship with her stepchildren.

• Like 6
  • Useful 4

Rewinding to her previous relationship, I honestly believed that J-Lo and Alex Rodriguez were the perfect match. They seemed SO alike. But then A-Rod, being A-Rod, cheated on her and that all ended.

I was happy when Jen and Ben reunited but didn't believe it would be forever, so I can't say I'm surprised by the divorce news.

As to her stepchildren, there's already a trail out there. She was supposedly very close to Alex's daughters and he to J-Lo's twins. Marc Anthony has other kids, too, doesn't he? I don't follow enough to know who Jennifer Garner is with, but the Affleck kids may have step-siblings there, too. All of these temporary, serial blended families must be very difficult for these kids.

• Useful 3

I don't know Ms. Lopez and cannot claim any true insight into her psyche, but it's always struck me that she might be afraid to be alone and that's why she keeps getting into relationships which end up not being good for either party.  Perhaps she needs to work on finding peace with herself before getting with anyone else.  Whatever the case, I don't wish her or Mr. Affleck ill and am sorry this didn't work out for them, in an abstract, doesn't affect my life kind of way.

• Like 18
  • Useful 1
(edited)

All of these temporary, serial blended families must be very difficult for these kids.

Thank God this is real life and not a soap opera TV show, otherwise some of those kids would be dating and/or getting married, and then good luck keeping track of who is related to who (soap fans know what I am talking about..."wait, so she is your brother's cousin and your step-mom?").

Edited by Palimelon
  • Like 2
  • LOL 4

I think JLo should stick to having a serious boyfriend and leave marriage off the table. I feel like the odds of a relationship truly lasting are better for her if she give this a try. Plus it's cheaper.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I think JLo should stick to having a serious boyfriend and leave marriage off the table. I feel like the odds of a relationship truly lasting are better for her if she give this a try. Plus it's cheaper.

To borrow William Faulkner's apocryphal comment in reference to Hemingway: "You don't have to marry them."

• LOL 18
7 hours ago, Zella said:

To borrow William Faulkner's apocryphal comment in reference to Hemingway: "You don't have to marry them."

To further borrow from Larry Miller: "Remarrying someone you've already divorced is like saying, 'Sheesh, this milk is sour. Well, maybe tomorrow it'll be fresh'."

• LOL 18
21 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

It's from Galavant. 

Of course! No wonder it looked familiar. I believe in you, Tad Cooper.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

To further borrow from Larry Miller: "Remarrying someone you've already divorced is like saying, 'Sheesh, this milk is sour. Well, maybe tomorrow it'll be fresh'."

Interesting.  Maybe this is the reason why his character on Law & Order murdered his wives--he was inspired by his portrayer's quote and by killing them, he never had to worry about accidentally remarrying them.

Spoiler

Sorry for the random weirdness but the L&O obsessive in my couldn't resist.

I think Ben and JLo got married too quickly.  I get it.  They're older so that can make things move faster but they didn't wait long enough for the honeymoon period to end and the old problems to seep back in to determine if they could conquer them this time.

Had their break been due to different career aspirations or other life circumstances that just pulled them away from one another, that's one thing.  But their first breakup was clearly something about their relationship and who they were as individuals. 

• Like 6

While I  hope that Mr. Affleck's and Miss Lopez's respective offspring will have no problems weathering the breakup (as well as hope that if the onetime stepsibs DID become and want to stay friends -and their parents won't give them grief over it), I can't say I was entirely surprised that the union didn't last. Yes, sometimes reconciled onetime paramours CAN make their revived bonds last, it takes a LOT of work and changes for the better re whatever it was that caused the earlier split.

FWIW, though, perhaps Mr. Affeck and Miss Lopez might consider taking a page from the  leading lady of Get Smart Barbara Feldon(born 1933) . After her only marriage went kablooey  and after she split with her longtime boyfriend in her mid-40's, she found herself alone. However,  Ms. Feldon didn't fret long and would write a book called Living Alone and Loving It(2003) - part memoir and part guide for  single folks  to make the most of said singlehood!  At this point, what can it hurt for  either of them to consider it?

• Like 10
On 8/21/2024 at 9:44 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Let me reiterate: More often than not, it's best to leave the past in the past. Nostalgia can often make us do dumb stuff.

Dumb stuff doer here...

I started talking to a guy I knew 20yrs ago online who's only one of two. He's basically a monster now who sadly has a daughter. So I agree with what you said about leaving the past in the past. Even though it didn't work out between Ben and Jennifer now they know it was probably a good thing they broke up years ago too. In the long run neither really missed out in the years inbetween then and now.

• Like 2
  • Useful 8
(edited)

As per NBC and numerous online news sources, Justin Bieber and his wife Hailey Baldwin Bieber posted on Instagram August 23,2024 a picture of a baby's foot sticking out of a baby blanket with the note 'Welcome home, Jack Blues Bieber.' Evidently, they've become new parents and named their child Jack Blues. Yes, I would say via the name that their firstborn is likely a boy but it's not out of the question that they could have been unconventional and bestowed what would usually be considered  boys' names on a girl.

As long as the mother and newborn are healthy, that's the important thing. I don't claim to be a fan of Mr. Bieber but I hope all goes well with them (and that there are extended family members willing to go to bat for the child's sake -regardless of how the Biebers are as parents behind closed doors if its in contrast to their public gushiness).

Anyway,  the pair are celebs and this is lifechanging news for them so I thought it needed to be shared!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
On 8/21/2024 at 10:15 PM, Is Everyone Gone said:

Both Jlo and Ben seem like difficult people to live with. 

Yes.    I get this is her 4th, but I am betting he is no picnic to be around either.   

This family law attorney is shuddering at everything going on with that divorce -- no prenup (hello JLo, its your FOURTH, you would think you would know the need for one by now), they commingled finances, AND she filed herself, not her attorney.   Even though she has an attorney.    This is gonna be messy.   Not necessary nasty but unnecessarily messy because both are idiots.   

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Yes.    I get this is her 4th, but I am betting he is no picnic to be around either.   

This family law attorney is shuddering at everything going on with that divorce -- no prenup (hello JLo, its your FOURTH, you would think you would know the need for one by now), they commingled finances, AND she filed herself, not her attorney.   Even though she has an attorney.    This is gonna be messy.   Not necessary nasty but unnecessarily messy because both are idiots.   

It would be cool if they manage to publically divorce without any lawyers just because they're being adults about it and have a lot of practice with it, and both have more than enough money. 
Heck, if they pull it off, they could sell the rights to the movie version of their story.

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 5
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

just because they're being adults about it

I have seen no evidence this description applies to either of them. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

t would be cool if they manage to publically divorce without any lawyers just because they're being adults about it and have a lot of practice with it, and both have more than enough money. 

God no.     Not just because I believe in full employment for lawyers, but because a lawyer makes sure its done right.    They know what has to be filed and how it has to be said to do what you want.    Even if they are both experienced, they don't know the nuances.  Heck other attorneys don't know the nuances.   I get attorneys who all the time who are "just helping out a client" from another area of law and those cases are almost as hard as self-represented case.   A lot of money means more reason to get it right.      I have made a lot of money in my career from people who just thought "oh we'll save money and write up the separation agreement ourselves."   Then they spend more trying to get what they thought would happen to actually happen because the agreement didn't actually accomplish what they wanted.     Smart people use lawyers -- because its cheaper and easier in the long run.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 4

My state will let people divorce without attorneys if the parties don't have children and agree on the division of assets. I work in a library, and I wish I had a dollar for every time I have explained this to someone who wants us to print them the forms, only for them to fill out the forms and realize that it doesn't apply to them, either because they have children or they don't agree on the asset division. Just in my anecdotal experience, almost nobody we see is able to file this way. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 13

Even people with no children and very little assets should have an attorney.   I had a case where they had no kids, short marriage, agreed on assets, so they wrote the agreement up themselves.   Except the cars were jointly titled and there was no provision for retitling the cars.    They were just like "yeah everyone keeps the car they are driving."   One of them came to me when the filing was rejected by the court because you have to file the agreement WITH the complaint and they didn't do that.  (see even when all is in agreement, you still have to get the filing right).    I had to point to that if the other caused an accident with "other" car if their name was still on it they could be sued too.    Even if they were divorced.   So client paid me to redo the agreement right AND get the filing done right.   I charged a small flat fee because it was so simple.   Cheaper than if they hadn't done it and something came up down the line.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Even people with no children and very little assets should have an attorney.   I had a case where they had no kids, short marriage, agreed on assets, so they wrote the agreement up themselves.   Except the cars were jointly titled and there was no provision for retitling the cars.    They were just like "yeah everyone keeps the car they are driving."   One of them came to me when the filing was rejected by the court because you have to file the agreement WITH the complaint and they didn't do that.  (see even when all is in agreement, you still have to get the filing right).    I had to point to that if the other caused an accident with "other" car if their name was still on it they could be sued too.    Even if they were divorced.   So client paid me to redo the agreement right AND get the filing done right.   I charged a small flat fee because it was so simple.   Cheaper than if they hadn't done it and something came up down the line.

Oh I can definitely believe that. I find the whole thing frustrating because the courthouse will send them to us to print, and they keep asking us questions, and no matter how many times we tell them they should, you know, ask a lawyer if they have questions about legal things, they just keep asking us. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

So my imaginary screenplay would have to be about a Bennifer-esque couple thinking they could do the divorce themselves, winding up in all of the above mentioned SNAFUs, and deciding they wanted to get back together.
That would be the romcom version.
Then there's the murder version. 

• LOL 18
1 hour ago, Zella said:

"In the legal system, divorces can become especially ludicrous. These are their stories.”

👆This would be the perfect thread title for a thread on Celebrity Divorces if this this thread were to be subdivided for Births, Deaths, Marriages, Divorces, etc. 

• Like 8
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
On 8/25/2024 at 11:41 AM, merylinkid said:

God no.     Not just because I believe in full employment for lawyers, but because a lawyer makes sure its done right.    They know what has to be filed and how it has to be said to do what you want.    Even if they are both experienced, they don't know the nuances.  Heck other attorneys don't know the nuances.   I get attorneys who all the time who are "just helping out a client" from another area of law and those cases are almost as hard as self-represented case.   A lot of money means more reason to get it right.      I have made a lot of money in my career from people who just thought "oh we'll save money and write up the separation agreement ourselves."   Then they spend more trying to get what they thought would happen to actually happen because the agreement didn't actually accomplish what they wanted.     Smart people use lawyers -- because its cheaper and easier in the long run.

Lawyer here.  This is important info.  A lawyer who takes on something out of his/her field without being able to get it right (by getting another attorney to help) is violating ethics rules and committing malpractice.  They teach this the first week of law school!  I too have fixed mistakes by self-represented people and lawyers.  Also, in my field, elder law, we are plagued by social workers who are essentially practicing law without a license.  They are technically allowed to help people submit Medicaid applications, but they don't know how to handle serious financial consequences that could arise. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 9
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Lawyer here.  This is important info.  A lawyer who takes on something out of his/her field without being able to get it right (by getting another attorney to help) is violating ethics rules and committing malpractice.  They teach this the first week of law school!  I too have fixed mistakes by self-represented people and lawyers.  Also, in my field, elder law, we are plagued by social workers who are essentially practicing law without a license.  They are technically allowed to help people submit Medicaid applications, but they don't know how to handle serious financial consequences that could arise. 

1000% agree.

Tho I'm disabled now,  most of my career was in Estate Planning. 

Right now we're dealing with issues of my step-father, Medicaid,  Medicare, Long Term Care and his small remainder of assets.  (We're driving back from Ohio at this very moment) and my brother, who has POA medically had no clue and was misunderstanding of how the nursing facilities work from hospital discharge.

I recommend he get an attorney that deals in Elder Care to help him navigate.  We also have caseworkers from the hospital and Assisted Living facility.  I have his financial POA so I gathered all thar for him to give to the attorney.

It's best to let the professionals in that field handle these things.

• Like 11

Wrestler Sid Vicious actual name Sid Eudy has died of cancer. His son Frank appeared on Big Brother. His was married to his wife for forty years. I read on Yahoo that Mariah Carey's mother and sister died on the same day. No cause of death was announced.

• Sad 15
On 8/25/2024 at 1:05 PM, shapeshifter said:

So my imaginary screenplay would have to be about a Bennifer-esque couple thinking they could do the divorce themselves, winding up in all of the above mentioned SNAFUs, and deciding they wanted to get back together.
That would be the romcom version.
Then there's the murder version. 

There was a fictionalized novel of TomKat.  I can't remember the name of it.  It was actually pretty good. Maybe the same author will fictionalize Bennifer.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
On 8/25/2024 at 2:23 AM, shapeshifter said:

I can't (and don't) dance, but this is one song that makes my arms do that thing that embarrasses my children.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 10

EPSN personalities Malika Andrews and Dave Mcmenimem got married last weekend. She's the host of NBA Countdown and he covers the Lakers for the network. I had no idea they were dating I saw some photos of the wedding online  and everything looked lovely.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Palimelon said:

Betty A. Bridges, mother of Todd Bridges and Good Times actress, dies at 83.

Bridges was a frequent fixture on shows like "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman", "Charlie's Angels", "Hill Street Blues", "ER", and "Scrubs" across her 40-year career. She also appeared in films like "A Night at the Roxbury" and "The Colony". Bridges also built up a venerable practice as an acting coach later in her career.

How sad for the Bridges family to lose their matriarch but I'm thankful that Mrs. Bridges lived to see her younger son turn his life around after nearly having it destroyed (I'll let others connect the dots). RIP, Mrs. Bridges!

• Like 9
  • Love 2