Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

one probably Crossing Lines.

I enjoyed him in Crossing Lines too! I noticed that Donald's character always seemed to brighten up so much when he was in scenes with this random French cop who was only in a couple of episodes. I later realized that was his son Rossif, and I thought it was sweet that he seemed so happy to share the screen with him. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Wow, death of a legend. It's been in so many movies and shows. And so many different kinds. Very few actors (or actresses) can pull off so many versatile charcaters. My favorite though is the crazy arsonist in Backdraft.

• Like 7

“Videos show Alec Baldwin was ‘reckless’ with guns, ‘Rust’ prosecutors say” (Washington Post, June 20).

They intend to present the footage as evidence of the actor being “reckless” and engaging in “horseplay” with firearms when his trial begins next month.

Free gift link to full article: https://wapo.st/4bfxWAa

Such a waste on so many levels.
There was a settlement reached 2 years ago in which the victim's husband would be the producer of the movie:  wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(upcoming_film)#Resumed_production

I guess as long as the case against Baldwin drags out he can't offer to donate anything related to the incident. Maybe that's just as well so he has time to think about the consequences. IDK.
I still recall how sharp and funny he could be.
Too bad he ever wandered into drama.
The article about his "horseplay" on the set seems to reinforce that notion.

🙁

I found Donald quite attractive. The eyes, the hair, and the voice that, much like Alan Rickman's, could turn me into a warm pool of honey.

Many of his roles were mentioned but a fave of mine, even though he didn't have a huge part, was where he played ousted attorney Lucien Wilbanks, who mentored Matthew McConaughy's Jake Brigance. The quiet gravitas he lent to the film and what he could do with just one look, like his reaction to Jake's closing arguments.

RIP, good sir. You are and will be missed.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Taylor Wily dead at 56

I never watched Hawaii Five-0, but I do remember him from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Poor guy. 56 is far too young

I enjoyed Kamekona, but I worried abt Mr. Wily's health.

RIP ya big softie!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Jamie Kellner, TV Exec Who Launched Fox and The WB, Dead at 77.

Kellner was named president and chief operating officer of Fox in 1986. He went on to leave a lasting impact at the network — introducing viewers to popular programming, including The Simpsons, Married… With Children, Cops, In Living Color, and 21 Jump Street. He also created the Fox Kids Network before exiting the company in 1993.

The TV titan later created The WB in 1995, becoming the only executive to ever launch two broadcast networks. Under Kellner’s leadership, The WB aired Dawson’s Creek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Gilmore Girls, 7th Heaven, and Felicity. His tenure at the network came to an end in 2004.

During his decades-long career, Kellner also led Turner Broadcasting — including TNT, TBS, CNN and more popular channels — and served as president of the Orion Entertainment Group.

• Sad 3

Nice honor for all of these celebrities, but how is it possible that Jane Fonda hasn't had a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for about 40 years already?!? I'd think that Prince should have received one a long time ago, too!

From Variety:

Prince, Jessica Chastain, Jane Fonda, Colin Farrell and More to Get Hollywood Walk of Fame Stars

The motion picture honorees include John Carpenter, Chastain, Bill Duke, Robert Englund, Emilio Estevez, Farrell, Fonda, Nia Long, Lisa Lu, Glynn Turman and Toni Vaz.

On the TV side, there are Fran Drescher, Lauren Graham, Bill Nye, Molly Shannon, Sherri Shepherd, Courtney B. Vance, Chris Wallace and Trey Parker and Matt Stone (in a double ceremony).

Fantasia, Depeche Mode, Los Bukis, The B-52s, Green Day, The Isley Brothers, Busta Rhymes, George Strait, Keith Urban, WAR and Prince will be honored in the recording category.

Misty Copeland and Alan Cumming will be given stars for live theatre/live performance; David Beckham and Orel Hershiser are the sports entertainment honorees; and Adam Carolla is the sole radio star this year.

• Like 4
On 6/20/2024 at 2:25 PM, Notabug said:

https://tenor.com/view/animal-house-donald-sutherland-butt-gif-10931689

Sutherland's butt was featured in Animal House.  He did the film as a favor to Jon Landis who he'd met on another film where Landis was a production assistant.  Landis wanted to direct someday and DS told him he'd act in all his movies until he made it.  He flashed his a** as a joke for Landis, not realizing it would end up in the movie.

Sutherland's part took 2 days to film and the studio offered him a cut of the profits; he wasn't willing to take an unknown piece of the pie and insisted he be paid his daily rate for the 2 days.  Had he taken the piece of the profits, he'd have gotten $2-3 million.  His day rate was a whole lot less than that.

The story I heard was that one of the actresses in the movie had to do a scene with some nudity and was feeling nervous about it. As a way to make her feel less nervous he offered to do some nudity too.

As for how much he got paid, if he had agreed to take a percentage of the profits, based on Hollywood accounting he probably wouldn't have made anything.

1 hour ago, Quof said:

Because the star has to want (or at least consent to) it, and pay for it.   Lots of people couldn't be arsed about having a star.  Walk of Fame rules

You also have to agree to show up, which I could see being annoying for a lot of performers. A lot of times the recipient also has famous friends come along and make speeches. As asking your friends to take time for that would be extra annoying.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The story I heard was that one of the actresses in the movie had to do a scene with some nudity and was feeling nervous about it. As a way to make her feel less nervous he offered to do some nudity too.

As for how much he got paid, if he had agreed to take a percentage of the profits, based on Hollywood accounting he probably wouldn't have made anything.

I got these details from a video of an interview Sutherland did. He said he would've made $2-3 million had he taken the profit share. His words, not mine.  Same with the quote about the butt scene; he said he did it to prank Landis and never thought it would end up in the final cut of the film.

interview with Sutherland telling the story

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

I watched Sutherland's acceptance speech for his honorary Oscar (2017) online, and I loved his parting words:  'I don't deserve this. But I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either. So, thank you.' 

• Like 8
  • LOL 14
11 hours ago, Notabug said:

got these details from a video of an interview Sutherland did. He said he would've made $2-3 million had he taken the profit share.

Interesting, although I guess it's easier to say that after the fact, because who is to know if they wouldn't have actually screwed him when it came time to pay out actual money. Especially when you have movies like Star Wars, Harry Potter and Forest Gump not making a profit.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
46 minutes ago, Quof said:

Where does Rowlands' son get off announcing her medical condition to the world?  

Why do you find this objectionable?  I felt the article cited above was very touching, particularly highlighting that she had once played a character who had Alzheimer's in a film directed by her son.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Quof said:

Because it's her private business, unless she chooses to share it.  

Even though your post initially took me aback, I quickly thought: Huh. Yeah. 

Likely others will ask this too and he'll issue a statement explaining that this was something they'd discussed not long after she was diagnosed. 

Or not.

Based on the article it sounds like she is not in any position to issue statements or to make decisions for herself.  I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that her son has power of attorney or is in some way now responsible for his mother and her care.  It sounds like they were (and are) very close.  Do people also feel that no one else should be speaking on behalf of Bruce Willis or Brian Wilson?  

• Like 12
34 minutes ago, Dimity said:

Do people also feel that no one else should be speaking on behalf of Bruce Willis or Brian Wilson?  

Good point too.
I doubt there are any NYT or LA Times writers reading our posts, but this topic seems like it has the making of an essay for such publications. 

Specifically, I mean an essay about whether or not it's okay to announce a famous relative's dementia or other personal medical details in social media.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

All the more reason for her son not to be talking about her.   And if he does have a Power of Attorney, it would give him the right to handle her financial affairs.  It does not give him the right to blab her personal business to the world.  

Bruce Willis does not appear to be so incapacitated, so presumably is aware of, and consents to, the statements his family has made.  If not, them shame on them too.   

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Good point too.
I doubt there are any NYT or LA Times writers reading our posts, but this topic seems like it has the making of an essay for such publications. 

Specifically, I mean an essay about whether or not it's okay to announce a famous relative's dementia or other personal medical details in social media.

Maybe it’s a case of the family announcing it before some gossip site/ tabloid splashes it all over the place. 

• Like 17
  • Useful 4
53 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

Maybe it’s a case of the family announcing it before some gossip site/ tabloid splashes it all over the place. 

Yes. I think that’s it.
which is exponentially sad to think adult children were forced into making an announcement about their loved one’s dementia because of paparazzi.

Or maybe it was just that enough friends and family become aware, that it’s only a matter of time before scandal sheets and media trolls start spinning the story, so the family wants to get ahead of that.
Which is just a variation of the same issue.

We not-famous people deal with this too on a different level.

• Like 13
16 hours ago, Palimelon said:

We have no idea what type of relationship they have. Or what was discussed between them when she was first diagnosed with the disease.

For now and until I hear otherwise, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on all of this.

Yes unless her wishes were her disease not become public I see nothing wrong with her son's statement.  Anything that brings attention to such an awful disease is a good thing. 

14 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I've seen him in so many movies over the years.  This one really hurts. 

RIP, Mr. Cobbs  

He was one of those actors who was in so many things that you would see  him and think where do I know him from and then look him up on IMDB and see that you know him from everything.  He was great in every role but I found him particularly funny in Go On.  The one season Matthew Perry show about a man in a grief support group after losing his wife.   He played a blind man and was hilarious.

• Like 11
8 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yes unless her wishes were her disease not become public I see nothing wrong with her son's statement.  Anything that brings attention to such an awful disease is a good thing. 

Exactly, and as was noted upthread, far better for her son to release a loving statement about his mother's health than to have nasty gossip start being spread about her where so called "journalists" jump to nasty conclusions - we saw this with Bruce Willis among others.

• Like 16
19 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yes unless her wishes were her disease not become public I see nothing wrong with her son's statement

Whereas I start with the presumption "unless you are explicitly told to spread this news, keep it to yourself."  

In a world of social media oversharing, people seem to have lost all sense of others' privacy.  

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. I think that’s it.
which is exponentially sad to think adult children were forced into making an announcement about their loved one’s dementia because of paparazzi.

Or maybe it was just that enough friends and family become aware, that it’s only a matter of time before scandal sheets and media trolls start spinning the story, so the family wants to get ahead of that.
Which is just a variation of the same issue.

We not-famous people deal with this too on a different level.

Rowland's son made the announcement as part of an interview for the 20th anniversary of The Notebook in which Rowlands played a character with Alzheimer's.  I presume the press wanted to interview her about the film and, since she is unable to do interviews; he made the statement that she was suffering from the same condition as her character.  And, yeah, if she was unavailable to the press to mark the anniversary of a very successful film in which she appeared, I imagine someone would've done some digging to find out what was wrong.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Quof said:

Whereas I start with the presumption "unless you are explicitly told to spread this news, keep it to yourself."  

In a world of social media oversharing, people seem to have lost all sense of others' privacy.  

That's all well and good, and right, for you & I, but as others have stated, it's better for those in the public domain, to not let the so-called media - social or otherwise - to earn money off clicks and sales broadcasting rumors abt their lived one.

If I was in their shoes, wouldn't want TMZ or FB or whomever making money off my disability, and perhaps spreading incorrect information. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Anything that brings attention to such an awful disease is a good thing.

I agree. And Rowlands herself often drew attention to controversial, difficult topics in her work, going back decades. She was nominated for an Oscar for portraying a housewife in the grip of a profound mental spiral (A Woman Under the Influence, 1974) took on the bigotry faced by lesbian couples (A Question of Love, 1978) played a mother of a gay man battling AIDS  (An Early Frost, a landmark tv movie in 1985) Alzheimer's (The Notebook - her performance was based on her mother's battle with the disease) and addiction and the generational shame associated with breast cancer (The Betty Ford Story, 1985).  She said of Betty Ford that “She taught us that we don’t have to cover up our weaknesses, our humanity" so it seems fitting that Nick Cassavetes is ensuring shame-busting is part of Rowlands personal legacy.

I love her acting. She was capable of being both ferocious and charming, poised or vulgar, depending on what the moment needed.  A rare gift.  I wish her and her family well. 

Edited by anony.miss
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, anony.miss said:

it seems fitting that Nick Cassavetes is ensuring shame-busting is part of Rowlands personal legacy.

This is a very important point.  Alzheimer's should not be seen as something shameful, something we would not want others to know about in the case of a loved one.  All too often though it is.  Celebrities have an audience and they can speak out in ways that help take away the stigmas that can be associated with certain illnesses.  

• Like 10
  • Love 5

Not Colonel Mustard!

This is his daughter's announcement on Instagram:

I am heartbroken to share that my father passed away at home on June 27th, after a valiant fight against a long illness. He was known for excelling at every creative discipline imaginable and also for doing Red Roof Inn commercials. He would find that joke funny. He was never not funny. My dad will be deeply missed by his wife and daughter, by his friends and coworkers, by fellow artists and comedians and musicians, and—the sign of a truly exceptional person—by many, many dogs. I loved him tremendously.

I love the part about the dogs.

Here's an obituary, from Variety.

• Like 13
  • Love 8

We saw Martin Mull open for Liza Minnelli in Baltimore waaaaay back in 1970 (1972?).  We were too young (and dumb) to really appreciate his humor, especially since all we wanted was Liza.  

We got smarter years later. 

RIP

• Like 8