Type keyword(s) to search

PR: The Bravo Years vs. The Lifetime Edition

Lnmop
  • Start Topic

After watching the past few seasons of PR on Lifetime, I finally went back and re-watched some of the earlier shows from the Bravvo era. The difference is night and day in all aspects. The challenges were much more interesting,, and two-days was more often the norm. None of the recent contestants are fit to carry a Mood bag for the contestants from the early seasons, and even the guest judges carried FAR more fashion authority (Vera Wang, Kate Spade and other real designers vs. Julie Bowen, Brooke Shields, etc). Tim Gunn was a real mentor back then - now he tattles to the judges about workroom behavior and holds the "get out of jail free" Tim Gunn Save.

How the mighty has fallen.

• Love 10

After watching the past few seasons of PR on Lifetime, I finally went back and re-watched some of the earlier shows from the Bravvo era. The difference is night and day in all aspects.

Is it true that the Lifetime show producers used to be in charge of "The Real World"? If so, that kind of tells the whole story right there.

I'm not sure what brought about the changes from two day challenges to one day challenges, but IMO, if this show has jumped the shark it was the minute they decided that everything needed to be a one day challenge.  I think there are contestants this year, and in recent years that have the same level of creativity but are scared to express it, because if they fuck it up, they have 30 minutes to fix it.  Because I think the one day challenges brought down the overall level of work, and certainly the level of risk.  So you stopped getting those moments where a look would just take your breath away because it was so different, so unique, or just so imaginatively done.  Once you stopped getting those moments, I think the show became less cutting edge.  As the show became less cutting edge, less fashion forward, fewer big name judges like Vera Wang, Kate Spade, and Elie Tahari were clamoring to get on the show.  I don't think any big name designer wants to associate themselves with a show with stuff you might be able to buy off the rack, and in some cases off the 80% off, get it before it goes rack (which doesn't say anything, because I love me some clearance rack!)  So they had to get guest judges that were at times, pretty confusing.  The show takes more of a dive in terms of status.  So, sponsors drop out or won't pay as much because they aren't getting the sort of high end exposure they were getting.  Now the show is getting sponsors like Belk, and now Mary Kay, Yoplait and Red Robin.

And its really unfortunate, because I think a lot of the designers really do have talent and the creativity to make amazing clothes, but they won't take risks because of the limited time, so even the people we are getting the best designs from are probably not giving it 100%, they have to curtail their creativity to keep in line with these insane time limits.

• Love 21

RealityGal, you nailed it. Perfectly said.

The other problem with one day challenges is that no one ever gets a chance to think through anything. Personally, when I'm working on a project, I always need to let my subconscious do the heavy lifting while I'm asleep. We used to see it all of the time when the designers would wake up the next morning and have it figured out, which is why the finished products were so much better. There are people who do their best creative work under severe time pressure, but I would posit that they are maybe 0.001% of the population.

To me, the moment they were shlepped off to Red Robin to be force-fed steak fries, in what has to be one of the all-time most awkward, blatant product placements in history, was the moment this show not only jumped the shark, it actually jete-d, pirouetted, and jumped it eight more times.

I've been lying to myself ever since the Anya season that there might be something left, but...now...

It's over. Sad.

• Love 10

The other problem with one day challenges is that no one ever gets a chance to think through anything. Personally, when I'm working on a project, I always need to let my subconscious do the heavy lifting while I'm asleep. We used to see it all of the time when the designers would wake up the next morning and have it figured out, which is why the finished products were so much better. There are people who do their best creative work under severe time pressure, but I would posit that they are maybe 0.001% of the population.

Oldernowiser, you have a valid point. Many times throughout the Bravo years, they would show the designers getting ready in the morning at A+las, talking about what they had figured out after reflecting overnight. This accomplished two things: better designs, and showing positive interaction between the designers (although the men's comments after cray-cray Vincent complained about Angela during his dismissive, abusive treatment toward her in the "Fit for a Queen" challenge is an exception).

A trip for inspiration used to send the designers to Paris, where they would take an evening cruise on the Seine. Now it's to the mall to stuff their faces with fries. Guess which one inspired better designs.

Additionally, from L'Oreal to Mary Kay, Macy's to Belk, sponsorship has dropped from high-end to bargain basement. What a shame.

• Love 6

I've been rewatching the first few seasons and it is so apparent how downhill this show has gone.  It's like everyone involved is just phoning it in.  

The skills of the designers, the status/give-a-shit of the guest judges, the challenges and the time allowed, the models, everything was just so much better in the beginning.  Now I feel like I'm watching a parody of PR.  It's making me less enthusiastic about this season because it's so lame compared to what we used to get.  

Whatever the reason (I've heard it said it has to do with Heidi's commitments outside PR), the fact is, it is entirely within their control. If they can't work around Heidi's schedule, then cut the number of designers in the season. The end.

ITA.  Quality over quantity.  There are ways to work around schedules and not sacrifice the show. 

• Love 3

I'm not sure what brought about the changes from two day challenges to one day challenges, but IMO, if this show has jumped the shark it was the minute they decided that everything needed to be a one day challenge.  I think there are contestants this year, and in recent years that have the same level of creativity but are scared to express it, because if they fuck it up, they have 30 minutes to fix it.  Because I think the one day challenges brought down the overall level of work, and certainly the level of risk.  

Season 11, episode  8 from the Project Runway Teams season epitomizes the jumping of the shark as the result of one-day challenges.  It was a menswear challenge and most of the looks were jacked up. 

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

Exhibit D

Even though I had only watched a few episodes that season, those runway looks remained in my mind. To this day. they crack me up because they were absurd. Then again, maybe if the designers had more than one day, the proportions would have been fixed (and having the right proportions is a basic thing, no?).

Edited by discoprincess
  • Love 3

Michelle actually did a reasonably good-looking piece for the stripper challenge (a vaguely "steampunk" vest), but she only managed it by making the rest of her team do her share of the overall challenge while she concentrated on her piece. Well, she did find the time to destroy Stanley's shirt with a glue gun.

• Love 2

Not that Bravo is the reality TV equivalent of PBS, but I've been of the opinion since the switch that PR's move from Bravo to Lifetime has been perceived by the public as a huge downgrade in quality and prestige. Bravo can and does produce excellent reality programming (cf. "Top Chef", "Queer Eye", etc.), but what does Wifetime have to offer in the general public's eyes? Trashy made-for-TV movies featuring Meredith Baxter-Birney, and "Dance Moms". I would posit that the decline in cachet in the judges and sponsors is not only due to budget issues on Bunim/Murray's part, but also a general "dumbing down" of the program to fit Lifetime's perceived demographic. I'd be interested to know the average Bravo viewer's demographic (age, income level, etc.) versus the average Wifetime viewer's.

In no way am I trying to bash Lifetime's regular viewing audience, but I suspect TPTB feel that the average housewife wouldn't know haute couture if it bit her on the backside of her mom jeans. Terribly insulting, but there it is.

• Love 8

Even with two days, the "Thunder from Down Under" challenge was a ridiculous one whose parameters couldn't really be defended. For starters, it's menswear; but not menswear for standard-sized men. Those guys were jacked. Oh, and the clothing has to look good and rip off cleanly on the runway. As few designers on PR bring a menswear specialty with them, it's even fewer who are acquainted with the mechanics of male stripper wear.

And that was the challenge that eliminated Amanda, so one good thing came out of it.

Amanda was involved with that debacle and the public still voted for her to come back?!

• Love 1

I have to say I love Lifetime for keeping it real.  In an age when the Cartoon Network has live-action shows, Lifetime still bangs out Lifetime Original Movies about One Woman's Struggle.  (And SyFy, despite their new ridiculous name, still puts out stuff like Chupacabra VS The Alamo.)  And I am super duper excited about the Saved By the Bell Unauthorized Story.

I agree with RealityGal; the one-day challenge is the real stake in the heart of PR.  Nothing else has such a big impact.  But I imagine nothing else saves them half as much money, so it's a tricky problem.

• Love 4

It's kind of a chicken or egg situation. One day challenges mean less quality designs and projects which means fewer "name" sponsors want to be involved with this dreck which means that one day challenges are the norm because they are cheaper and the only sponsors they can get are Red Robin (yum!). 

I pulled this off the "Today" show website, from 2006 B.T.T (Bravo TV Time)

Q: How long are the designers actually in New York for the filming of Project Runway? How much time do they have between challenges?    —Joan

A: Just over a month: 32 days. That's according to Tim Gunn, who said during a Washington Post chat that they "tape for 32 consecutive days — no breaks! We're all done in by the end, including me!"

With 11 episode to shoot in that time, that leaves about three days for each challenge. Other than the challenges and the runway shows, the production also must shoot interviews with the cast, which typically take place once for each episode. (There are also spontaneous interviews, called OTFs for "on the fly," that reality show producers like to conduct in the moment.)

There is no way in hell they spend 3 days taping each episode at this point.  We're getting the knock-off, slightly irregular, Payless version of the show, while they try to convince us "Really, it's a REAL Fendi!". 

• Love 3

I have to say I love Lifetime for keeping it real.  In an age when the Cartoon Network has live-action shows, Lifetime still bangs out Lifetime Original Movies about One Woman's Struggle.  (And SyFy, despite their new ridiculous name, still puts out stuff like Chupacabra VS The Alamo.)  And I am super duper excited about the Saved By the Bell Unauthorized Story.

I am VERY excited about the Saved By the Bell Unauthorized Story (even if I'm not sold on the guy they cast as Mark-Paul Gossalaer, he looks waaaaay pre-teen), and not gonna lie, it was watching either PR or the Under the Gunn thing where I saw a promo for the new version of Flowers In The Attic, and then proceeded to totally watch it.  It was terrible.  Thanks, Lifetime!

I will offer up this on Lifetime's side of the Bravo vs. Lifetime battle:  In the Lifetime era, they did not cast Vincent, who I find to be the most appalling, creepy, and untalented designers that was ever on the show.

• Love 4

This has GOT to be a joke. 

I was looking at the PR Wiki page, and it has a TBA entry for......

Under the Gunn

Late 2014

TBA
Mentors: Michael Costello
Mila Hermanovski
Korto Momolu

Winner's Prizes:
A $100,000 cash prize by Netflix
a capsule collection for Target

Winning Mentor's Prizes:
TBA

Edited by leighdear

This has GOT to be a joke. 

I was looking at the PR Wiki page, and it has a TBA entry for......

Under the Gunn

Honestly, I think that prize is slightly better than PR's. I mean, Netflix - you can at least argue movies/television have a connection to costuming and wardrobe. And a capsule collection for Target beats a designing a piece of flair for a burger server.

They really are just going to run the entire enterprise into the ground, aren't they?

It's not real, that was picked up from an April Fool's joke on some blog, there was a discussion about it in the Under The Gunn thread http://forums.previously.tv/topic/3756-season-2-wish-list/#entry267731

I couldn't help laughing at the fact the designers were only allowed to eat BOTTOMLESS FRIES. They didn't even get the sample burgers being held by the suit models.

OMG, I had completely and totally blocked that out of my memory. They were carrying the freaking burgers.

Shame is officially dead.

• Love 2

I am VERY excited about the Saved By the Bell Unauthorized Story (even if I'm not sold on the guy they cast as Mark-Paul Gossalaer, he looks waaaaay pre-teen), 

I totally thought that was a sarcastic joke.  How funny that thats a real thing!

I'm sorry, I know this might be considered off-topic, but it was mentioned here so:

OMFG HAVE THEY RENEWED UNDER THE GUNN?????

That has to be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

don't go draining your bank account and eating all the cheese you can get your hands on (sorry, but this would be my plan) - the renewal of UTG was a joke.

Although M. Costello would have been a good mentor.

• Love 3

I'm in a pensive mood this morning, so bear with me. I've been rewatching my seasons 1 through 5 PR DVDs. There were one day challenges on those seasons as well, although, yes, I guess there were MORE 2 day challenges which didn't make it so bad.

I think the problem is the producers/ Lifetime more than anything else. I still believe there's talent out there, but BM casts for personality more than talent. Interestingly enough, when Magical Elves seemed to cast more for talent, they still managed to find enough personalities. It was the perfect mix of talent and personality and I literally could not get enough of it.

Season 12 on Lifetime was kind of the end of an era for me. I'm glad we finally had an African-American winner, but I was sorry it was Dom. Also, Helen. And that hipster chick that was so horribly, overtly mean to Timothy (unicorn boy), the reunion show, OMG, where not only was there a Kate/Helen pile on of Alexandria, but that awful Jeremy, aided by Ken, went on and on about how fake Bradon's proposal to his partner seemed. This, of course, after Jeremy went on and on, ad nauseum, about being happily married to HIS partner and their children; and oh yeah, don't forget how he tried to milk his partner's gran's death for sympathy. I was so glad when his smug face was gone.

Anyway, as so many others have said, the Lifetime years cannot hold a candle to the Bravo years and we have the Elves to thank for some of the best reality programming I had ever seen to that point. Even when you didn't totally agree with the winner (Chloe, Jeffrey), there was no doubt you were seeing some real talent. I had hoped it would run for years, but honestly, if it ended after this season, I'm not sure I would even miss it anymore. Makes me uber sad to say that.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

I will offer up this on Lifetime's side of the Bravo vs. Lifetime battle:  In the Lifetime era, they did not cast Vincent, who I find to be the most appalling, creepy, and untalented designers that was ever on the show.

I will 100% agree with you on this point.  I'm rewatching Season 3 right now and I had forgotten just how creepy Vincent was.  And not in a weird lovable creepy way that some of the cast members have been, in a a serious HR issue creepy way.  Everything "got him off."  Not cool creepy man, not cool.  

• Love 3

I will 100% agree with you on this point.  I'm rewatching Season 3 right now and I had forgotten just how creepy Vincent was.  And not in a weird lovable creepy way that some of the cast members have been, in a a serious HR issue creepy way.  Everything "got him off."  Not cool creepy man, not cool.

God, I always felt so sorry for the models with him around. If he was that skeevy with the cameras on him, imagine what he must have been like with them off. Even Jeffrey didn't make my skin crawl half as much, and I HATED that guy.

Now I'm remembering the laundry debacle...honestly, did the producers not understand the guy was mentally ill?

• Love 4

I've always found the Bravo/Lifetime distinction a little overstated, personally.

Most shows are universally revered for their first two seasons, i.e. Top Model, Survivor, etc. So I will take those off the table.

The imbalance obviously still exists, but I think the Lifetime era is anchored by two very strong seasons (7 and 10) that, at least IMO, rival Seasons 4 and 5.

There is also a change in Production to account for, as well. For me, Seasons 8, 9, 11 and 12 were horrible, but similar in mood and tone to Season 3.

There is a steady move toward drama and stunt casting, but the Bravo seasons weren't devoid of it. I will never understand the likes of Rickey, Suede, and Vincent getting as far as they did.

Overall, I agree that it was a much stronger show before it moved to Lifetime, but I disagree that it was this move, specifically, that sealed the deal. Reality TV shows tend to sour over time, and for me the show had a precipitous drop in quality between Seasons 10 and 11.

• Love 3

I haven't seen Top Chef in awhile, but I thought they got a range of items from the GE line of products, and other such sponsor goodies.  Perhaps even a food display system or whatever they're calling a refrigerator nowadays.

Top Chef and Project Runway have had interesting parallel courses of error; Top Chef had the designers compete in biathlon and cut ingredients from blocks of ice in the finale which is at least as bad as the infamous Yoplait Coney Island Meet the Cow Challenge.  Worse, one got the feeling, as one gets every season of Top Chef, that the whole Physical Challenge portion of the program was designed to ensure the single man left standing would win, as indeed he did.  And everyone was pleased because the canny editors made sure to make all the women look bad.  Project Runway has all the ridiculous problems it has, but the Tom Colicchio analogue, Heidi, is probably the least prejudiced of the judges, and also probably the most likely to see things from the other judges' point of view, which makes her the opposite of Tom.  Two women have won: Stephanie, whose win has been relentlessly undermined for years with the refrain that it was Richard's to lose and he blew it, he choked, luckily he won All-Stars to get his rightful win (and beat Stephanie in a quickfire to do it); and Kristen, who was eliminated and brought back via Redemption Island, plus the final challenge was weird, so, y'know, she didn't really win did she...

PR is no saint when it comes to diversity of winners either, of course.  But I'm not sure that some bogus 'dignity' from a guy who sells Diet Coke on TV really makes it look worse by comparison.  (Gail is pretty cool, though.)

• Love 1

But I'm not sure that some bogus 'dignity' from a guy who sells Diet Coke on TV really makes it look worse by comparison. 

I bet Tom really misses the mods at TWOP... /OT

KimberStomer, you make some good points, but to start with the example of Top Chef giving away a GE professional kitchen (which I'd forgotten about) that at least still is something a chef would want. Well, maybe not a GE brand, but it's at least a chef-related item. The Lifetime equivalent would be, "The opportunity to cater a lunch for executives at Lexus."Edited: Actually, I take it back, I have actively turned the channel from Esquire when I've seen it's season two. Blech.

Oh God, I can't stop laughing. You're absolutely right about the prize.

• Love 2

Yeah, TC has definitely had a few eye raising winners, but nowhere near the craziness that PR on Lifetime has had.  Just as an example, Ilan and Hosea are probably the most questionable wins, and TC agrees-those guys never come back to the show to judge.  On the same token, Anya, queen of dresses 9 year old Mini 4-H girls can make, WAS A MENTOR on a Lifetime PR-related show.  

If I were a contestant on PR, I would ask for a model walk-off, just so they would be forced to show the model selection.  If there even IS still a model selection.  It seems that the designers this season have kept the same girls?  Has anyone noticed anyone changing up?

• Love 1
whereas Lifetime - vis-a-vis, Bunim/Murray

I am too lazy to look up when Bunim/Murray took over, but this is what I was getting at with my original post. They take the lion's share of the blame for the show's decline in quality, IMO. And while this is likely part-and-parcel with the move to Lifetime, IIRC, it didn't happen right away.

Season 6 had some kinks to work out (and they did), Seasons 7 and 10 were fantastic, and 9 was an enjoyable season with a bunch of weak designers. 8 would have been fine without the bullying element.

Where the show really turned in quality, IMO, was 11, 12 and 13 (the latter of which I am still holding out hope for). Which may very well be possible because of the move to Lifetime, but I'm not convinced it wouldn't have happened, anyway. After all, much of the personnel (Nina, Tim, Heidi) has remained constant, and they haven't seemed to bat an eyelash at the one day challenges, product placement, stunt castings or quality of designs.

Edited by Oholibamah

lan and Hosea are probably the most questionable wins,

I'm sorry, but the last guy Nicholas from New Orleans was by far the worst winner between Top Chef and Project Runway combined. As much as I HATED Anya winning, she at least was fawned upon, and won challenges.

Nicholas was a bottom feeder, who should have been eliminated early in the season. He was on the bottom in almost every single challenge. "Top Chef", my butt.

Project Runway's quality went down when it went to Lifetime, no doubt about it. But, the two seasons of Gretchen winning, and Anya winning really hurt it. Only my "One Way Monkey", Dimitry brought it back for me.

Michelle's Steampunk win really really irritated me as much as Gretchen and Anya...living in LA I saw it DECADES before...it wasn't unique or inventive in the least. My Mom and I watch it together, well over the internet, and she wrote, "Didn't you wear clothes like those in the late 80's?"

• Love 1

Compare specifically the sophmore season of TC and the junior season of PR: Both were clearly casting for troublemakers. TC had it in droves: Betty, Ilan, Elia, Frank, Cliff, Marcel, even Sam to a degree. PR gave us Jeffrey, Vincent, Angela, and Kayne - the latter not a troublemaker, but someone clearly lucky to make it so far with that taste level. Of TC, all I can say is, that season was a disgrace, an absolute disgrace. That the lead instigator in the infamous hazing incident went on to win it all left a very bad taste in my mouth. And Jeffrey, well, his behavior is legendary, and in hindsight the questions raised about his final collection continue to linger, thanks to his appearance on All Stars, where it appeared he was sewing blindfolded. 

I admit I am in the minority, but I loved season 2 of Top Chef and it's the season I have rewatched the most. Yes, the chefs featured all had questionable taste, talent, and integrity, but the editing on this season was second to none. I could watch the Thanksgiving episode a million times and still laugh my butt off at Anthony Bourdain's indignation over the awful meal and lauding Michael for his "audacity and refusal to conform" over his potato dish. It also set up the Marcel debacle perfectly, even though I admit it should have never happened and Marcel didn't deserve it. 

And, come on, who could not love the season that gave us the Cheeto amuse bouche, pepto bismol soup, bacon avocado ice cream, foams of every kind, saffron in every dish, and quite possibly the worst restaurant wars ever (rivaled only by season 3). 

As for PR, it was indeed better on Bravo. Shame Lifetime had to take it over and ruin it. 

Edited by PinkSprinkles
  • Love 1

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but the biggest crime to me (more than the bizarre sponsors or the increasingly wacky twists) is the lack of time given for the final collections. I couldn't find it online, but someone on here mentioned that in S1, the designers were given over six months to work on their collections. Then a few seasons later, I recall that time being trimmed to three months (which at the time, people were dismayed over). Now, they have five weeks? That just seems insane to me. No wonder all the final collections are so lackluster.

I can understand that we probably won't return to the days of multiple 2-3 day challenges (that would basically double or triple production costs). But I really wish they'd consider giving the finalists and decoy designers more time on their finale pieces. I realize Lifetime wouldn't be able to churn out these seasons as quickly, but it certainly wouldn't be a production cost drain. It's not like having the designers work at home for six months requires a camera guy and a boom mic to be there day in and day out. I could deal with the drama if the clothes were actually, you know, GOOD. But now we aren't even getting that, and I'm not even sure it's fair to blame the designers for that when they have an increasingly limited window of time to ruminate and revise their designs.

• Love 3

Does anyone know where you can stream the Bravo seasons? I don't really want to end up DVDs but I can't find them to buy as a download anywhere. After this season's gently steaming pile of lukewarm mediocrity, I really want to watch the early years again!

• Love 1

While I agree that the designers should have more time for there final collection, 2 and 3 day challenges are rare. Back in season 1, I think pretty much every challenge was 1 day. Its not the time, its the casting.

Anytime they had an actual client (Banana Republic, the wedding dress, Nancy O'Dell) they had two days for a challenge.

But that wasn't really my point, anyway. My point was that time is a huge factor in determining the quality of the collections. Austin in S1 was a last-minute decoy collection, and it showed. 

But that wasn't really my point, anyway. My point was that time is a huge factor in determining the quality of the collections. Austin in S1 was a last-minute decoy collection, and it showed. 

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. But even if this batch had six months for collections, they still would not measure up to other final collections. The creativity is not there. They are good tailors, but as designers they just aren't there yet.

Does anyone know where you can stream the Bravo seasons? I don't really want to end up DVDs but I can't find them to buy as a download anywhere. After this season's gently steaming pile of lukewarm mediocrity, I really want to watch the early years again!

There are some Bravo seasons on Hulu, though (Hulu) I don't recommend. There were also full seasons (including 1 and 2) on youtube.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. But even if this batch had six months for collections, they still would not measure up to other final collections. The creativity is not there. They are good tailors, but as designers they just aren't there yet.

There are some Bravo seasons on Hulu, though (Hulu) I don't recommend. There were also full seasons (including 1 and 2) on youtube.

Amazon.com has some but not all the seasons as well, but they charge for the streaming even if you have Amazon Prime (go figure this, they have seasons 1-3 and 8-13 but not season 4 - 7 as streaming).  I imagine what you are looking for are free sources for them and I don't have any bright ideas for that (not legal ones, anyway).  Netflix used to have some seasons available for streaming, but now they are all DVDs (seasons 1-12). Hulu has seasons 9-13.  I've seen all the seasons between one source or another...I am surprised how little I remember about Season 8 (Gretchen) though that seems to be one of the more infamous seasons.  Some of the seasons that were available on YouTube no longer are there (including Season 8).  I'm almost tempted to get Season 8 a second time just to nudge my fading memory, but do I really want to do that to myself?

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 1

Just google the season and episode you wanna watch, it's super easy to find. I stream (for free) all the time. There will be plenty of pop-ups, but you'll get there.

Thanks for all of the replies...I'll check them out. I don't have any problem paying for this content, but want it to live in the Cloud rather than in my DVD-stuffed entertainment unit that I still have to clear out of VHS Friends tapes...hate to add future landfill content to my collection if I can avoid it!

Thanks for all of the replies...I'll check them out. I don't have any problem paying for this content, but want it to live in the Cloud rather than in my DVD-stuffed entertainment unit that I still have to clear out of VHS Friends tapes...hate to add future landfill content to my collection if I can avoid it!

I completely understand that.  I am so old that I have seen format after for format become obsolete....it's almost not worth it to me to buy the next new "thing" just to have a pile of stuff that I end up not watching and not being able to watch over time.  Sigh.  I'm not really trusting the cloud for most stuff, but I'd rather stream movies than have to stack the physical product somewhere in my shrinking abode.  I just wish there was more consistency of availability.  There seems to be no good reason that the Project Runway seasons are spread here, there, everywhere and nowhere. 

• Love 3

I completely understand that.  I am so old that I have seen format after for format become obsolete....it's almost not worth it to me to buy the next new "thing" just to have a pile of stuff that I end up not watching and not being able to watch over time.  Sigh.  I'm not really trusting the cloud for most stuff, but I'd rather stream movies than have to stack the physical product somewhere in my shrinking abode.  I just wish there was more consistency of availability.  There seems to be no good reason that the Project Runway seasons are spread here, there, everywhere and nowhere. 

at least they are available in some format.  I was dying to watch Fashion Fund, because I was just in that kind of a mood and I wanted to check it out.  It was quite literally, available nowhere.  And I was willing to pay, I went to Amazon, nothing, I went to ITunes, nothing, the Ovation website, nothing.  At some point, I just stopped caring and watched episodes of Criminal Minds.  It was unfortunate.

• Love 1

at least they are available in some format.  I was dying to watch Fashion Fund, because I was just in that kind of a mood and I wanted to check it out.  It was quite literally, available nowhere.  And I was willing to pay, I went to Amazon, nothing, I went to ITunes, nothing, the Ovation website, nothing.  At some point, I just stopped caring and watched episodes of Criminal Minds.  It was unfortunate.

I know this is so Off Topic, but I have had this problem wit those great yet cheesy shows from the beginning of the millennium - back when ANTM was the thang.

There was one show Carmen Electra did called Manhunt that survived the Google Takeover on YouTube - you know that ugly period when it seemed videos of people's cats were in jeopardy of being blocked or deleted? The person who had the series up closed their account and I cannot find the show for the life of me! It was the only all male model show ever! It was a Bravo Baby, including that one cool show on photography Nigel Barker made - another Bravo gem, which I only seem to remember somehow. The name was like 'Double Exposure' or some tech term in photography I cannot recall now.

Bringing this over from the Media thread:

It says something when even TLo gives up on blogging about the show. Hello, Lifetime? The clue phone is ringing!

Their reasoning is kind of stupid IMO. If you're reviewing an über popular show, you have to expect an en masse of people flocking to your flaming website wherein you provide snarky, comical reviews. Maybe they just made the comments snip because they didn't want to be too honest - the show is jank. We give up. And the fangurls are crazy.

• Love 2

I was just watching reruns of I think season 6--the one with Leanne and Korto and Kenley as finalists. I don't know if it was on Lifetime or Bravo, but those three women had beautiful collections. Kenley's colors, Korto's African influences and Leanne's amazing wave patterns were a revelation to look at after the mess that this season has been. This must have been around the changeover?

• Love 1

I was watching that, too...having more than an hour and a half makes such a difference in the final product, it's amazing.

It's also amazing how much I still want to bitch-slap Little Miss Kenley of the Whiniest Most Nasal voice EVER. She makes Janice on "Friends" sound musical.

ETA: Turns out, at least according to a Google search before coffee, that this was season 5, the last season on Bravo. Shows, doesn't it?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 1