Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Wish List

There has been no indication that a Season 2 is being made (except for a somewhat sly April Fool's Day prank that totally fooled me).  But use this thread to talk about what you would like to see if season 2 were to happen.

(edited)

Get rid of the current mentors (sorry, Nick, but you too).  Give the designers more time and focus more on the designs and not drama.   If the producers must pick a winner ahead of time, try to be less obvious with it, which means  eliminate talking heads and other red herrings for the sake of stirring up drama.  Demand everyone, including Tim, act in a professional manner. All rules apply to all contestants, mentors and Tim (he doesn't get to choose who can give advice and who can't...everyone has the same instructions). Judges must judge and not delegate their job to the mentors. 

Frankly, once I find out who wins this season, it is really possible I wouldn't watch a second one no matter what changes they made.

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 1

Well, if I understand correctly, this was originally supposed to be another season of Project Runway, but Tim refused to do the show without Heidi, who couldn't (or wouldn't) for some reason.  Don't know.  But they basically took people who had auditioned for PR and created this show to fill in the gap.  So Season 2 may not be something they're even considering.

New mentors, new judges and clearly stated rules. For example, if a mentor has 2 designers in the top or bottom, if you want to give them input and make their preference known, okay, but the judges still make the decision.

Also, is this show about the mentors or the designers? Tell us up front and edit the show accordingly.

• Love 2

I fell for it too. It was very clever.

I heard a story today about an online channel that broadcasts people playing video games (one guy seems to be filming from his basement). That's all it does. And it got me thinking that it would be really interesting to have something like Big Brother (I never thought I'd say that...not my favorite show) where we can see the designers in the work room in real time....creating their designs, problem solving, interacting with their models, adjusting, all that stuff.  I don't mean 24-hours-a day, but just the dynamic inside the workroom.  I'd like to see the designers without all the editing manipulating our view of them.  And I'd like to have a space where the public could talk to the designers and ask them questions about the creative process.  Would this cost more?  I don't know that it would. The technology exists.  I am just so tired of the manipulation of the producers and owners of the show.  I might be the only one who would be interested, if it comes to that, but I know one reason I watch "Face Off" is to watch nothing turning into something.  Fascinates me every time.

Someone in the Finale thread mentioned having different judges judging the finale instead of Jen, Zanna and Rachel.  Having not seen the work of the designers during the season, they would be more objective and would just pick a winner based on the collections presented at the finale.  No favorites, no backstories to influence them so a better chance to get a fair result.  So the regular judges handle the challenges leading up to the finale and then a new bunch of judges, fresher eyes and more objective, would pick the season winner.  

I might enjoy it if they cast three mentors that the audience ALREADY hates (Orange Josh, Van, Vincent, Gretchen, etc.) , told them they were on  UTG  Season 2 and then revealed to them at the end that they were really on The Worst Mentors In America.

Nope, I wouldn't enjoy that either.  Let's just consider this turd flushed and leave it at that.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

There was a basic flaw when they established this program: they haven't decided if it's about fashion or mentoring.  If it's about fashion, then the mentor thing should be completely separate and judged by how the mentors interact with others as well as their designers. If it's about mentoring, then go ahead and have the runway and have the designs critiqued, but the designers should bring out their original designs and talk about their design process, what changes they made in design, any construction details that didn't work for them, and how they utilized their mentors to improve their performance..The designers would then be kept separate from one another's mentors.

When both the designers and the mentors are in competition, there's an unseemly struggle for who is seen as the "best" designers or the "best" mentors.  That should be completely random because not everyone is equally talented.  Mentors should not be interacting with other mentors' designers.  That ugly scene where Mondo (whom I previously liked) yelling at Natalia for making excuses- hey, Natalia wasn't making excuses.  None of her ideas were accepted and she wasn't allowed to make any independent decisions.  That's a clear failure of mentoring on Mondo's part, because Asha was completely unprofessional and not a team player. She should have been reminded that professional designers are supposed to work with others.

But from the mentors' POV, if they could do anything to make the other mentors' designers anxious, or throw them off their game, that's the sensible thing to do. Natalia may not have had a shot at winning- wouldn't have, against Oscar, I believe- but she had original ideas.  The judges like good construction but more than that, they like good, interesting designs.  What designer is going to do her best if others' mentors are sneering and their competing designers are talking behind their back?

The way it was set up, the mentors had a vested interest in creating stress for others' designers.  We didn't see all those problems with Natalia? Why not? They're not shy about showing problems.  They showed Eesa-belly and her terrible time management.  They showed Gretchen starting out from "let's all support one another" to "let's toss Michael under the bus because I don't like him." 

No: I don't know what happened with Natalia, and nobody really does except the people who were there- who are all following Tim's lead. Odd, that: with all the willingness that PR has had in the past to show problems- heck, it makes it more interesting- the one designer who was treated like crap was only shown as being teary.  There's a weeper in every season. 

Boy, I'd like to see Laura Bennet being "mentored" by Mondo.  He'd wilt like a dying tulip.

And as I said. I LIKED Mondo. I admired his work with prints. I respected him for realizing that Michael Costello actually had skills and also wanted to learn, and for announcing that. I could never wear his designs, but I thought he had a great eye. I don't know what he's doing with fashion now, but he really can't mentor worth a damn.

And sorry, Mondo- but it was unfair for you to have TWO chances to win because the judges were too gutless to pick a loser.

I'd like to see new mentors, or at least two new ones (Nick can stay - I like him). I think Laura Bennett would be a good mentor.  I wonder about Chris March.  I think Irina would be a good mentor, too.  She may not always have the most pleasant personality, but I think she could give direction to designers and be a good competitor without being a whiner.  I think Seth Aaron would be good, too - talented and kind-hearted and not a whiner.  However having three reasonable people being mentors might not bring enough drama. 

Speaking of drama, I find seeing how the designers execute the challenge enough drama - the drama of creating.  Each has the same challenge but each will meet it in a different way.  Who will succeed?  Who will fail? Who will hit rock bottom but pull off a winning design?  That's the drama I like!

Here's a question coming out of Season 1 and going into Season 2: what did the viewer gain by having the mentors? 

I'll confess to disliking the format of this show more than I disliked any of the people involved. While people starting out in most professions can benefit from a good mentor, on the show they added a layer of drama and pointless chatter that I could have done without.

• Love 1

Here's a question coming out of Season 1 and going into Season 2: what did the viewer gain by having the mentors?

Exactly.  It was confusing from the start and never really clarified.  Who watching this figured out that Tim's role was to "mentor the mentors", for example?  Me neither.  Poorly conceived, poorly executed, and everyone involved with it came out looking worse than they did before the show.

This is from wikipedia so, grain of salt and all that...

HoLc0GS.jpg

It looks like someone copied this from the April Fools joke

I'll confess to disliking the format of this show more than I disliked any of the people involved. While people starting out in most professions can benefit from a good mentor, on the show they added a layer of drama and pointless chatter that I could have done without.

Well that was the whole problem, the viewers didn't know if they were supposed to be rooting for a designer or a mentor. Were the designers the competition, or were they just a means to an end for the mentor's competition?