Type keyword(s) to search

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

Fool to cry
  • Start Topic

I really, really want to keep my expectations in check due to Crystal Skull and how long it's been since we've gotten anything from this franchise, but dammit, we got a glimpse of freaking Sallah of all people and it just brought a big old smile to my face!  And while plenty can be said about his age and how lax he's been in his previous roles lately, I really do get the sense that Indy is important to Harrison Ford and seems to be putting more effort here.  

Plus, Phoebe Waller-Bridge!  And while it totally might be a cliche at this point to have Mads Mikkelsen play your villainous Nazi (I'm guessing?), dammit, you just know good old Mads will deliver!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I really, really want to keep my expectations in check due to Crystal Skull and how long it's been since we've gotten anything from this franchise, but dammit, we got a glimpse of freaking Sallah of all people and it just brought a big old smile to my face!  And while plenty can be said about his age and how lax he's been in his previous roles lately, I really do get the sense that Indy is important to Harrison Ford and seems to be putting more effort here.  

It would be astounding if it wasn't better than Crystal Skull.  It wouldn't be the first time they've course corrected after an even numbered movie by using the classics (Sallah! Nazis! Indy on horseback!).   Plus Phoebe Waller-Bridge >>> Shia LeBeouf and Indy needs a good sidekick to bounce off of.

• Love 4

Where's Karen Allen? 

‘Indiana Jones 5’ Gets First Trailer, New Title
BY AARON COUCH, JAMES HIBBERD    DECEMBER 1, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-trailer-1235273553/ 

In addition to [Harrison] Ford and [Phoebe] Waller-Bridge, The Dial of Destiny stars Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory), franchise veteran John Rhys-Davies (Raiders of the Lost Ark), Shaunette Renée Wilson (Black Panther), Thomas Kretschmann (Das Boot), Toby Jones (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom), Boyd Holbrook (Logan), Olivier Richters (Black Widow), Ethann Isidore (Mortel) and Mads Mikkelsen (Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore).
John Williams, who has scored each Indy adventure, is once again composing the score. The film is releasing June 30, 2023. Here’s the teaser poster:

1.jpeg 

• Love 2

Ford is 80 years old. The franchaise should have wrapped it up 30 years ago and with Ford passing the hat to someone else. Or even have Hollywood come up with another idea or even recast. Look at James Bond.

I am passing on this one.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Watching RAIDERS for the first time is like meeting a cool new friend and you have the time of your life going to new places and doing exciting things that you want to always remember.

TOD is like seeing him again but going to scarier and wilder places with a little kid and annoying girl and in the middle he gets drunk and mean. He sobers up and it turns out happy but it still not one you want to do again.

LAST CRUSADE is going on a trip like the first time doing the same thing but now he has his estranged dad along and it's actually fun watching them bicker and sweet when they reconcile.

CRYSTAL SKULL is like he's gotten old and what used to be exciting has become routine and depressing and now it's best he settle down and retire.

What I hope DIAL will be is you meet your friend and you know he doesn't have much time left but instead of being sad you go out one more time having fun doing new things and having a final great memory of him.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 4
  • Love 4

2023’s Most Anticipated Movies: ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3’ Leads Fandango Survey
Anthony D'Alessandro   December 20, 2022 
https://deadline.com/2022/12/top-movies-2023-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-fandango-1235203078/ 

Digital movie ticket retailer Fandango has unveiled the results of its 2023 Most Anticipated Movies Survey....
2023’s Most Anticipated Blockbusters:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse (June 2)
  3. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Feb. 17)
  4. John Wick: Chapter 4 (March 24)
  5. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30)
  6. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (Dec. 25)
  7. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (July 14)
  8. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes (Nov. 17)
  9. Creed III (March 3)
  10. The Super Mario Bros. Movie (April 7)

Most Anticipated Hero:

1. Chris Pratt as Star Lord (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3)
  2. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny)
  3. Keanu Reeves as John Wick (John Wick 4)
  4. Zoe Saldana as Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3)
  5. Paul Rudd as Ant-Man (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania)

Most Anticipated Action/Adventure (Non-Superhero) Movie:

1. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  2. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
  3. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes
  4. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (June 9)
  5. Fast X (May 19)
Edited by tv echo

All the movies you'll want to watch in 2023, from 'Ant-Man 3' to 'Scream VI'
Jan. 5, 2023
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/movies/2023/01/04/exclusive-look-2023-new-movies/10979963002/

"Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny" (June 30, theaters): Harrison Ford is back for the fifth and final time as the world-renowned archaeologist, who teams with his goddaughter Helena (Waller-Bridge) to snag a prized artifact before Nazis do in a 1969-set adventure.

d58d7217-b3dd-44db-95ac-0b20a54363d9-Ind

I'm in it for Mads. I mean, Fleabag too, but I don't know if Phoebe alone would get my ass in a seat. Mads always will, even if I'm sick of American directors thinking he can only play a bad guy. But anyway. Otherwise, I don't really care. 

• Like 3
On 1/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, luna1122again said:

I'm in it for Mads. I mean, Fleabag too, but I don't know if Phoebe alone would get my ass in a seat. Mads always will, even if I'm sick of American directors thinking he can only play a bad guy. But anyway. Otherwise, I don't really care. 

In ROGUE ONE he actually played a sympathetic character! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Harrison Ford: “I Know Who the F*** I Am”
BY JAMES HIBBERD     FEBRUARY 8, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/harrison-ford-interview-shrinking-indy-5-1923-1235318736/

“Harrison is not unlike Indy in the sense he’s carrying with him the scars of all the films he’s made — as well as his own private calamities,” Dial of Destiny director James Mangold says. “He is literally this embodiment of all those bruises, broken bones and being bounced off walls and being thrown to the floor over so many years.”
Critics came down pretty hard on the last Indiana Jones movie. Now that some years have passed, what’s your feeling about it?

Where are they now?

Well, they’re still pretty harsh on it.

No. I mean, [the critics] were harsh on it, but what are they doing now? I understand. But those were their rules — not [director Steven Spielberg’s and co-writer George Lucas’] rules. They were imposing their rules on what the movie should be. I don’t feel it’s necessary to address those issues. I think that everyone has a right to their opinion. The film was not as successful as we wanted it to be, perhaps. But it didn’t create an attitude or a behavior that carried over into this film. 

The film had a lot of “old Indy” jokes. It feels like that itself is outdated and that you have settled into who you are now.

Yeah. In [Dial of Destiny] there were a lot of old jokes in the script. We took them all out. There is a moment where he observes himself in this situation and says, “What the fuck am I doing in here?” But I hate what I call “talking about the story.” I want to see circumstances in which the audience gets a chance to experience the story, not to be led through the nose with highlights pointed out to them. I’d rather create behavior that is the joke of age rather than talk about it.

What was it like working with James Mangold instead of Steven Spielberg on this one?

Jim developed the script, so I knew what we were getting when we were going in that direction. But Steven’s still on the picture and has always been on the picture. He’s not the director this time, but he’s intimately involved.

What was your reaction when somebody first mentioned the idea of de-aging you for the film’s opening sequence?
I never loved the idea until I saw how it was accomplished in this case — which is very different than the way it’s been done in other films I’ve seen. They’ve got every frame of film, either printed or unprinted, of me during 40 years of working with Lucasfilm on various stuff. I can act the scene and they sort through with AI every fucking foot of film to find me in that same angle and light. It’s bizarre and it works and it is my face.

I know you’re not a nostalgic guy, but how did it feel putting on the hat and the jacket and whip for what is probably the last time?

(As if first learning of the role) I’m playing this archaeologist … who wears a brown fedora … and a leather jacket regardless of the weather … and carries a whip? OK, I’ll do it! Look, it was bizarre to start with, and it’s bizarre again. But that feeling goes away immediately because it’s so grounded in other things.

What’s the tone like? Each film is slightly different.

What I love is that we’re meeting him at a different point in his life to where we’ve seen him in these other films. It’s a logical place for him to be at this stage, considering his behavior and what he spent his time doing. It’s a very interesting script Jim came up with.

Has there been any other actor you’ve seen and thought: “That kid might fit”?

Tom Selleck [who was originally offered Raiders of the Lost Ark but CBS wouldn’t let him out of his Magnum, P.I. contract].

Poor guy. You’ve got to feel for him a little bit.

No. I feel lucky I got it. But I don’t feel that he’s had an unlucky career. He seems like a happy guy.

Edited by tv echo
12 hours ago, Anduin said:

I'm always in favour of punching nazis! Or straight up killing them. However, I hope they aren't given any dignity beforehand. I want them to go out like chumps.

I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. 

• Like 2

I think Raiders of the Lost Ark deserves its classic status; Temple of Doom is quite good (I appreciate the ways in which it tries to be different, even the terrified girly-girl love interest); Last Crusade is a lazy, safe retread, and Crystal Skull is better than its rep and a satisfying send-off for the main characters. I can't say I've been eagerly anticipating a fifth film in this series with an elderly Indy, and the handoff from Spielberg to James Mangold doesn't make me more excited, because I haven't liked his other films. But if I hear that it's good, sure, why not?

• Like 2
On 12/4/2022 at 7:42 PM, greekmom said:

Ford is 80 years old. The franchaise should have wrapped it up 30 years ago and with Ford passing the hat to someone else. Or even have Hollywood come up with another idea or even recast. Look at James Bond.

I am passing on this one.

Yes, I'd be happier with a "Young Indiana Jones"

18 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I mean there was a TV show in the 90s! Now re-edited into 22 movies, most I quite liked.

Yes, and it was a pretty good show.  Hard to believe it didn't last longer.  Could be a model for the continuation of the movie franchise.

• Like 3
(edited)

‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ Confirmed for Cannes, Festival to Pay Special Tribute to Harrison Ford
By Naman Ramachandran, Elsa Keslassy   April 3, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/global/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-cannes-film-festival-harrison-ford-1235571609/ 

The Cannes Film Festival has confirmed the world premiere of “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny,” which was first revealed by Variety last week.

James Mangold and Harrison Ford will climb the steps of the Palais des Festivals on May 18. The film, which will screen out of competition, also stars Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Antonio Banderas, John Rhys-Davies, Toby Jones, Boyd Holbrook, Ethann Isidore and Mads Mikkelsen. Their attendance in Cannes isn’t officially confirmed, but it’s likely Disney will want to pull out all the stops for the movie’s red-steps premiere.

The festival will also pay a special tribute to Ford.

Edited by tv echo
On 2/15/2023 at 6:18 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Yes, and it was a pretty good show.  Hard to believe it didn't last longer.  Could be a model for the continuation of the movie franchise.

It was dreck.  Plus, Spielberg's production company hyped it claiming that it would teach history to the children.  History that's centered around an imaginary character.  It couldn't die fast enough.

Ford is pretty funny playing an age appropriate character on Shrinking.  I shudder to think how this will end.

(edited)
14 hours ago, meep.meep said:

It was dreck.  Plus, Spielberg's production company hyped it claiming that it would teach history to the children.  History that's centered around an imaginary character.  It couldn't die fast enough.

Ford is pretty funny playing an age appropriate character on Shrinking.  I shudder to think how this will end.

It was Lucas' production. Spielberg had no involvement. If you didn't even know that, then you didn't really know a lot about the show. History didn't center on Indy it was only being seen through his eyes. We meet and learn about real life figures like humanitarian Albert Schweitzer and jazz musician Sidney Buchet through him. Also if you don't want to watch anything historical involving an imaginary person, that eliminates a lot of books, movies and TV!

Liked the clip especially Phoebe Waller Bridge being duplicitous.

2 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 1
(edited)

Harrison Ford Picks His Favorite ‘Indiana Jones 5’ Scene, Wants Justice for Writers: ‘We’re Gonna Suffer From Not Having a Script’
By John Bleasdale  June 26, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/global/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-writers-strike-1235654537/

I’ve heard you refer to Indiana Jones as an “ordinary hero” in the past. Do you think we need ordinary heroes today in both cinema and culture?
I think we’ve got a lot of ordinary heroes out there. They just don’t appear in movies all the time. I mean, it’s a convention in drama… the unexpected hero, but I have always insisted that I really don’t want to be characterized as playing heroes. I play archaeologists or heart surgeons, or, you know, presidents of the United States who get into a shitstorm and decide to do something about it. But this film was more than that. I’ve just done a Marvel movie [“Captain America: Brave New World”], I know a hero when I see one. He’s got a cape. He can fly or something like that. But this film is not about heroes [like that]…

What’s different?
At first, it’s kind of black-and-white, because it’s 1944. And then all of a sudden, we end that part with an escape from a situation. And we find ourselves a hard cut to 1969. And we see the same man, manifestly the same man, wake up in a New York tenement apartment, and you know, he’s this lazy boy in his underwear with an empty glass in his hand. Because they’re playing god damn rock ‘n’ roll music.

That was my favorite shot of the movie.
It was one of my favorite things I’ve ever done in a movie. And I did it to express his vulnerability and his age. Anyway, I think it’s a great sequence in a damn good movie.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Mutt dies in Vietnam. 10/10, no notes.

Disney and Lucasfilm were apparently under the impression that they had a Mad Max: Fury Road-style critical smash blockbuster on their hands, which was a major misjudgment based on the response at Cannes; but that is not to say that Dial of Destiny is bad. I enjoyed it, and you could make the case for it against at least one prior entry. Fans of the series will probably find a lot to enjoy here as well.

Notably, Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Helena is the best foil Dr. Jones has had since Karen Allen in the original Raiders of the Lost Ark. The story is overall well-paced, makes good use of its 1969 setting, and, unusually for the sort of legacy sequel that has become very familiar over the past ten years or so it is not suffocated in callbacks to previous films.

At the same time, the obvious must be stated: James Mangold is not Steven Spielberg, and this is noticeable, in particular, any time the action starts to rev up. Mangold is a very good director in his own right, a better director than (say) any of the people who have been tasked with keeping the Terminator franchise running after James Cameron, and he has made at least a few films that I would rate higher than at least half of Spielberg's Indiana Jones films. But you still miss Spielberg's camera, and the digital look that already started in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is obviously even more pronounced here.

All that said, when assessing this series as a whole: Raiders of the Lost Ark was cinematic lightning in a bottle, a true classic. Every subsequent entry, setting aside nostalgia goggles, has not approached that level. Dial of Destiny is not a great film, but I think it sits comfortably enough in the canon and serves as an amiable ending for Indy. Say a 3.5 out of 5, probably a shade generous, but good fun.

• Like 3

1>>3>>>2>>>5>>>>>>>>>>>>4.

FleabagWombat was a lot of fun, even though the rogue with a heart of gold has been done to death. 

Harrison did give good "I'm too old for this shit" energy, but that's kind of in his wheelhouse. While I have no problems with how they wrote Mutt out of the story, I do wish they'd given the explanation why he was gone more than a line, even as it was well-delivered by Ford.

• Like 2
(edited)

Years ago my sister and brother and me went to a sneak screening of a soon-to-be-released film which we surmised was Spielberg's and Lucas' Indiana Jones film. Ohh we were so right.  Midway through a gag, my sister anticipated the punchline so to speak, and in her delight, she screamed out "IT'S A COAT HANGER!!!!!!" A movie theater moment I will never forget. My brother is dead and my sister has had a stroke and will never see this film. I went to the theater alone this afternoon. So aged Indiana hit me particularly hard.

And I loved it. It had all the hallmarks an Indy movie requires. The moving vehicle set pieces. So many damn Nazis. A likable kid. A feisty smart ass woman, And old friends.

And snakes, okay well eels.

Fabulous locations. What a terrific depiction of New York in '69. Excellent use of Magical Mystery Tour, cause all of them have been magical mystery tours. And his present life was so sad and drab and he was so out of place and lost. Yep, Sallah would have become a cab driver.

And finally the time travel. I was so thrilled that it was time travel this excursion. I couldn't wait for it and it really measured up for me a history geek.

For a moment I didn't like the ending. I did want Indy to stay in the past, I wanted him to become a piece of archeology himself. But then Marion showed up and I got the feels and yeah Indy should be there for her and she for him.

Last but not least, Indy managed to destroy most of Hunter College's antiquity collection in one afternoon proving once again, that he is the most dangerous destructive archeologist EVAH!!

PS: They tell us about Mutt in the first few minutes of the 1969 section. It's done visually.

Edited by MrsR
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

It was okay, what I saw of it. We took our dog to the drive-in, and he was okay, until someone started setting off fireworks in the next field, just as the movie started. The screen can also be too dark, so I have no idea what happened in that first ten minutes or so. I was trying to calm down my dog, who scrambled into my lap, and then squeezed into the foot area, in front of my seat. I was more focused on him, than the movie.

I liked what I saw of it, and I liked the ending. 

• Sad 1
(edited)

I liked it too, though I thought the car chase scene went on too long and that the underwater dive could have been shorter too. Wombat and the kid sidekick were good. Kid apparently liked to talk to pilots in the casino and "practice" flying before he ever got into an airplane.

Indy's family got more than one mention. When the news media thinks Indy killed those people, they mention how he

Spoiler

"recently lost his son and was going through a divorce"

to apparently suggest that he snapped and went crazy. I feared that would be the only explanation we got, but then later in the movie Indy himself explains what happened when Helena asks him what he'd time travel to undo.

Was the deep sea diver somebody we met before like Sallah, or was he a new character like Helena's dad?

Spoiler

When Marion reunites with Indy, I liked that they did the "where does it not hurt" and kissing elbow scene, like their love scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Good callback.

Also I liked that we had Archimedes saying Eureka.

Edited by Cress
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this movie.  The opening scene was great, the shots that had the planes flying over the train was very cool.

Indy's life at the beginning was so sad - sleeping in front of his TV, getting mocked by his younger neighbor, and half-heartedly teaching a subject that doesn't interest his students.

I was really surprised how Helena went.  I was hoping that she would get punished for all the shit she put Indy through.

I didn't think that Nazis were willing to work with black people (the CIA agent at the beginning).  I loved the room server's response to Schmidt about being born near the Yankee Stadium.

The ending scenes were really cool, too.  Too bad Indy didn't get his wish.

• Like 5
(edited)

Helena was confusing. She wanted to steal it, to sell it on the black market, but then refused to let Indi stay in the past, because he would mess up the timeline. Unless she wasn't really planning to find the rest of it, and was only selling the mysticism around it. If anyone else had managed to do what they did, they also would have used it, and messed up the timeline. 

So, was his wish to prevent the Vietnam war? I saw someone mention his son dying. 

Edited by Anela

Helena is what Indy was in Temple of Doom, in it for fortune and glory. But like Indy when push came to shove, her humanity rose to the top. She's his stand-in so to speak. 

He wanted to talk his son out of enlisting in the military, thus saving his life. But that was a foolish wish because he would never be able to talk Mutt out of anything. They were oil and water. Indy knew he was always powerless, even with a magical time machine it wouldn't have made a difference. Thus his depression.

• Like 5