Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

A lot of people are questioning Stephen over Shane, but that makes sense to me. I am a little curious at them picking Asher over Shane. 10th/5th verse 5th/3rd made me go a bit huh?

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I know this is mean and probably unpopular, but I haaaate how the US men scream, yell, and make a scene after finishing an apparatus. The women don't do that (and if they did, they would probably be accused of being arrogant or bad sportsmanship). I get being excited when you do well, but it gets on my nerves because it is so over the top.

The incredibly bitchy side of me also thinks, my dudes, win consistently at World's and the Olympics like the ladies and then you can do that.

Everytime. Even after a bust routine. I started appreciating Brody’s stoic attitude. I remember at the last Olympic there was discussion about the men’s team just being happy with subpar standings while the women are putting everything into making the top. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Frost said:

I've been lucky enough to have attended all the sessions so far - and the women's  final tonight!!!  Woo!

Anyway, my heart breaks for Shane Wiskus.  He came in 3rd and yet was named an alternate.  Meanwhile, Asher Hong falls off the pommel horse, which I've never seen in my life, and makes the team!  I know the selection committee does all sorts of math to figure out the best chance for medals, but I think it sucks!

Terry and Tim explained that Shane didn't perform well enough in the apparatuses that were perceived strengths for him. 

Scummy Brody Malone fell off the high bar. 

• Like 1

The newbies are killing it. They are expecting the Toyko crew to be back but I’m a little unsure. Watching Suni throw down on the bars and then collapse on the beam was wild. I was really shocked with Jordan. She had been so solid.

Sidenote, the guys jumping up and down was cute. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, emma675 said:

I know this is mean and probably unpopular, but I haaaate how the US men scream, yell, and make a scene after finishing an apparatus. The women don't do that (and if they did, they would probably be accused of being arrogant or bad sportsmanship). I get being excited when you do well, but it gets on my nerves because it is so over the top.

The incredibly bitchy side of me also thinks, my dudes, win consistently at World's and the Olympics like the ladies and then you can do that.

YES. I cannot stand that crap, especially when they qualify well and always, always falls apart in the finals.

Love how diverse this women's team is! I was hoping for Jocelyn for the fifth spot (mainly because I loved her beam set) but Hezly's gymnastics are gorgeous as well.

So much joy this time, as opposed to the fear-laden Covid Games! I can't wait for Paris!

• Like 3

Danell Leyva did a video on his IG comparing male v female gymnasts and points out the differences in finishing a routine. It’s hilarious.

Thrilled for the Toyko crew. I teared up with Suni and Jordan. I was pulling a little bit for Jocelyn but happy for Helzy. All of the girls did so well.

I wonder what the team would have looked like without the injuries. Does anyone know why it wasn’t so much a numbers game with the women?

• Like 1

I'm happy with the ladies team and so happy for Suni, Jade, and Jordan. Hezly over Joscelyn surprised me a little due to the age and experience, but I think the committee sees potential in Hezly and is giving her this international experience opportunity. 

Now let's just be consistent and stay on the beam! On to Paris!

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Danell Leyva did a video on his IG comparing male v female gymnasts and points out the differences in finishing a routine. It’s hilarious.

OMG I have to see that. Can you post a link? (I don't know how to navigate IG.)

• Like 2

I think Hezley got the 5th spot because of her strength on beam- I think she may have got the highest beam score.  And that seems to be where the team needs the points.  I don’t mean because of the falls last night, but just the numbers that there were last night.

Off to I stream to watch Danell’s IG.

• Like 1
On 6/30/2024 at 10:30 AM, Frost said:

I've been lucky enough to have attended all the sessions so far - and the women's  final tonight!!!  Woo!

Anyway, my heart breaks for Shane Wiskus.  He came in 3rd and yet was named an alternate.  Meanwhile, Asher Hong falls off the pommel horse, which I've never seen in my life, and makes the team!  I know the selection committee does all sorts of math to figure out the best chance for medals, but I think it sucks!

I feel like falling off the pommel horse is relatively common (as falls go)? I've always looked at pommel as the balance beam of men's apparatuses. Every single pommel horse routine, even for those who are good at it, makes me extremely nervous, like they can fall off at any second with one slightly wrong hand placement or one slightly lagging leg. And it's exactly why Stephen was chosen (and even he makes me nervous!).

• Like 6