Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: You Can't Put a Price on a Life

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

When two local women go missing, Roz grows frustrated over the lack of equal attention both cases are receiving; and Stanley agrees to have the team write a comparison piece on the two missing girls. Meanwhile, Bob gives Roz and Eileen a lead on Gloria’s case, and after they appear on local radio show “Concerned Citizens,” threats escalate to perilous new heights.

Original airdate 11/17/22 

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Why didn't she tell anyone she was getting threats? Especially after the bullet, you'd think she might mention it to someone.

I think they know at the paper that she’s been getting annoying phone calls and messages because of the proximity of the open work space. She also showed someone else the bullet. She and everyone else downplayed it, saying something along the lines of “there are always going to be crockpots”. 

8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Now we’ll have to wait three months to find out 

Are you sure there won’t be one Dec. 1st? They didn’t say “fall finale”. I never knew ABC to be particularly loaded with holiday specials, and there are four full weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

• Love 2

There’s way more trouble ahead than just a swat team. Does Pritchard (son, owner of AD) know about his father’s protected land procurement scheme? If the editor wants to pursue the story, he’s going to have to tell the son about it. 

• Useful 1

I really like how committed the show is to exposing the disparities in treatment of Native women being murdered or disappeared, not only in-show but also with the messages at the end of every episode. 

They did say the next episode would be in Feb. It could be a goof, but that's what they said on air.

• Love 16
47 minutes ago, Daff said:

Are you sure there won’t be one Dec. 1st? They didn’t say “fall finale”. I never knew ABC to be particularly loaded with holiday specials, and there are four full weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

I'm not sure of anything, but I think in passing there was a promo for next episode February 23 or something like that, showing her interacting with that hostage taker. 

48 minutes ago, Daff said:

I think they know at the paper that she’s been getting annoying phone calls and messages because of the proximity of the open work space. She also showed someone else the bullet. She and everyone else downplayed it, saying something along the lines of “there are always going to be crockpots”. 

There will also be pressure cookers.  LOL.  Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2

I also liked that it was mentioned the press is playing a role by pressuring investigation of white women disappearing, but not doing the same for missing Indigenous women - just as they were accusing the gov't/police of not doing enough. It's everyone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12

It's definitely been brought up before in real life how different everyone involved (law enforcement, the government, even the media, etc.) is when a white woman is missing compared to a minority one, so I'm glad that was a focal point for this episode.  From what I've seen, it's not even exclusive to Indigenous women: missing African American women's coverage is also only just a fraction compared to when it's a white one and the extra mile they go to try and find her is noticeable.  Now, obviously, any missing person should get their fair due with trying to find them, but its easy to see the frustrations from Indigenous and other minority populations when everyone rolls out the red carpet and pulls out all stops for one group of people, but don't even provide actual law enforcement to help with another one.

I'm guessing we'll get more of the governor going forward since they got Mark Moses (good old Duck Phillips!) to play him.  Especially since he and Eileen are already butting heads.  The Pritchards are also going to be a likely problem, although I'm still debating wherever Aaron has any involvement or if he truly is trying to do the right thing.

Liked the scenes between Roz and Stanley.

Austin and Park might be joking, but I would find it hilarious if we end up with a running gag where every assignment Gabriel gets ends up being surprisingly outlandish.  He's asked to cover a new local religious movement and it ends up being a cannibalistic cult!  Investigates a string of robberies and it ends up leading to a bunch of career criminals planning Alaska's biggest bank heist!  A simple murder leads him to facing off against a notorious serial killer!  The possibilities are endless!

So, Concerned Citizen isn't actually someone we met before.  I guess we'll find out what his deal is... after a few months!

• Like 2
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, SouthernChick said:

So who was that with the gun at the end?

All we know about him is that he is calling himself ‘Concerned Citizen’, has been harassing Eileen for unknown reasons, and drives a pickup truck. 

Since Eileen has pretty much only been writing about the missing Alaskans, I wonder if he is a possible suspect in those crimes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Really like this show. Reminds me of The Killing years ago. Good characters, good acting and a compelling story arc. I can't help but think of Gaby Petito and all of the publicity surrounding her disappearance. Young, attractive white woman. But I don't disagree with the commissioner- is the media driving the story or reporting it?

• Like 3
  • Love 5

We need to wait until Feb 23 to find out about what happened to Gloria Nanmac and Jade Jacobs? Come on! 😫

Great way to keep the show’s momentum and retain viewers’ interest…

Concerned Citizen finally has the courage to face the ice queen in person.

I feel bad for Roz when her Q about Henley’s DUI was deliberately misconstrued, within seconds. Don’t like the Q, quickly put a woke label to it. In this case - victim blaming.

So, the person of interest in Gloria’s case that they have been trying to locate is a pastor.

➡️ Reed Gallahorn

🟰 REed GAllaHORN

Bad shorthand??! 🤨

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm not sure of anything, but I think in passing there was a promo for next episode February 23 or something like that, showing her interacting with that hostage taker. 

There will also be pressure cookers.  LOL.  Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

Ok, I toyed with “nut-jobs”, decided on crackpots but the program decided not!
I trust you heard the return date, as I didn’t. So I’m with you, drat!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Pritchard learned the hard lesson but necessary lesson that not only is Eileen not interested in him romantically, but she will also use any and all means in service of her job. Being a reporter isn't just her job; it's her identity. 

I don't get why he invited her to the gala in the first place when she shut him down so strongly after the kiss. Also, given how a supposed ethical violation is what sent her to Alaska in the first place, why would she risk her job by dating him? He should know better.

• Love 5

I assume he's just a sleazeball like all the other harassers who abuse their power even after being told no. Besides which, everybody knows these kinds of events are schmoozefests and are covered by the press. It's pure arrogance to not expect a reporter to be there for professional reasons.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I liked poetpilot's comment "Does he know that?"

The next day at the donut table it would have been great if Denise [?] had said the same thing.

Eileen: Don't worry, nothing's happening
Denise: Does he know that?

Would be a funny way to ongoing point out how absolutely clueless Eileen is about any social interactions even when she is in the middle of them. Could be worked into a theme:

"Don't worry, I'm not pushing the Governor too hard"
"Does he know that?"

"Stanley understands"
"Does he know that?"

and so on.

• LOL 13

This show has really grown in such a short time.  We're learning about the characters and the stories are interesting.  This hiatus-starting ep was especially well done but with a cliffhanger that isn't all that urgent, as we know Eileen will be fine, but now we know who Concerned Citizen is, so they didn't drag that out too long.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

This show has really grown in such a short time.  We're learning about the characters and the stories are interesting.  This hiatus-starting ep was especially well done but with a cliffhanger that isn't all that urgent, as we know Eileen will be fine, but now we know who Concerned Citizen is, so they didn't drag that out too long.

You’re right, they could have. But I don’t remember seeing that actor’s face before. And based upon the preview, they called in the SWAT team quickly. Who knew Anchorage even had one?

• Love 2
19 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I was on record after the first two episodes as not being particularly happy with the series, but it really has grown.  There's much less focus on Eileen and her fantastic journalism skills and more on how she functions within the team, and I have found myself enjoying that more and more.  Plus, the central mystery is particularly gripping and quite well done.  I'm very glad I stuck with the show.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Much better episode than previous ones. It represents what I expect to see. Although the two actresses are even as to which reporter is the "most serious." Their acting is so flat as to be somnambulent.

Which two? Eileen and Roz, or Roz and the younger staff member? The younger one is very timid, but gaining in her confidence. Roz is very self-contained-cards close to the vest. 

Edited by Daff

I really like the news room and reporting scenes. I love how they keep showing the differences between when a white woman goes missing and when a Native goes missing. I liked Roz asking about the missing white woman's history. Of course she gets accused of victim-blaming. I like how they are also following the money when it comes to how much was spent looking for the white woman compared to the Native but also who's paying for it and Eileen looking into the task force they kept bragging about. I guess they didn't really think she would look into that? I like the reactions from both stories. The police and public should been out looking for both women with equal resources.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I really liked this episode. Not just the great story angle comparing the resources and time spent (or lack of them) spent on the two missing women, but also how this small group of journalists got the story out there. 

Roz and Eileen are clicking, even if they may not want to be. And I continue to love the rest of the cast who are just as competent and skilled as Eileen, and have the advantage of having local contacts, and understanding the Alaska citizens. (though I really like Eileen as well).

I don't like the Pritchards at all. Obviously father and son are going to both be problems. I'm impressed with Stanley starting to do some digging.

We have to wait until FEBRUARY? UGH.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
On 11/18/2022 at 6:41 PM, thuganomics85 said:

So, Concerned Citizen isn't actually someone we met before.  I guess we'll find out what his deal is... after a few months!

I just was thinking, is the entire paper over at the bar?  They don't even lock the doors after hours so only staff can get in? 

I am enjoying the show.  I think the casting was really good here, and having a good cast sometimes make up for some of the clunkier storylines. 

• Love 2

I really like this show and can't believe we have to wait almost 3 months for it to start again! Ridiculous. I hate it when networks do this. By the time it starts back up again, it'll be hard to remember what previously happened. 

While I'm not disagreeing with the concept that white women get disproportionately more media coverage when they go missing, in this very particular case, the main reason this one got so much attention is because it involved the very important cruise industry and the very public way she fell off the boat. I would bet that anyone who fell off a cruise boat while livestreaming would have gotten a ton of attention too. Heck, this past week, we got a ton of coverage about some guy who fell off a cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico and he wasn't posting about it at the time he fell. Also, I'm sorry but acting like there was any chance that this woman would have survived more than a couple hours in the frigid waters of Alaska is ridiculous. The man who fell of the boat in the Gulf of Mexico was lucky he survived and their waters are nowhere near as cold as Alaska, even in the summer.

The scandal, IMO, is not that the media covered this annoying white woman's disappearance, but the fact that the cruise ship got away with not installing security features and that they are not contributing to the cost of the search and recovery operations. 

I'm glad that Eileen is more interested the pilot/poet guy and I'm glad to see her enjoy being a mentor to these younger reporters despite saying saying she didn't want to be one. 

• Love 4
On 11/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, BAForever said:

Really like this show. Reminds me of The Killing years ago. Good characters, good acting and a compelling story arc. I can't help but think of Gaby Petito and all of the publicity surrounding her disappearance. Young, attractive white woman. But I don't disagree with the commissioner- is the media driving the story or reporting it?

The media might drive it, but that's no excuse for the government to let it. They could change the story if they wanted to. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 4

I began watching out of idle curiosity; Alaska - always interesting and different; Hilary Swank - always interesting choices of roles and a damn fine actor.

So very glad I did.  This show has turned into 'must see tv' for me.  

The supporting cast are all so interesting, but I am very intrigued with the development of the story involving the female First Nation reporter.

Very good tv and I hope it gets enough viewers to continue.

• Like 7

Literally binged all 6 shows today, loved it.  VERY happy it's coming back in a few weeks.

Funny thing I noticed, twisty connection for sure:  

The drones they sent out with Bob were named "Miles" and "Maisy".  The same names as the youngest kids in the John Candy movie "Uncle Buck".  Which just happed to star Laurie Metcalf. 

And we all know who her ex husband is.  *LOL*

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2022 at 6:41 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I'm guessing we'll get more of the governor going forward since they got Mark Moses (good old Duck Phillips!) to play him. 

I know him as Paul Young from Desperate Housewives, a bad guy.

On 11/25/2022 at 9:11 PM, CrazyDog said:

I really liked this episode. Not just the great story angle comparing the resources and time spent (or lack of them) spent on the two missing women, but also how this small group of journalists got the story out there. 

On the subject of the missing women, the searchers seem to have made a very bad mistake while looking for Jade Jacobs.  When they found the bracelet, they simply picked it up (albeit wearing gloves), but did not take a close-up picture of where it was found, or a farther back picture of where it was found to give context, or even seem to mark the location with anything.  This will make it far harder for the police to do anything with the clue. 

• Like 2