Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

I just read all this drama and I'm really please to just do not care anymore for all fandom drama. Well just  laugh at all the drama when  I read about it.

But yesterday I unfortuatuly read a exchange between some SQ BA I supposed and one CS.

It appeared that JMO gave that answer  

@jenmorrisonlive:  absolutely! I love when a man can dance merengue with me. Nothing sexier! #askjennifer #OnceUponATime   

in her ask JMO and the SQ BA said they do not like that answer from her ...

I found the exchange weird and reinforced my mind that some  people in this fandom just want their personal vision be reinforced and nothing that goes against it

It is like some  sick  game!  it is not better when it is about Colin and JMO !

That's strange for me because I really enjoy more not knowing about the actor personnel live. already know too much about R.C, Colin, JMO and Lana for my personal taste without follow any of them or looking for it just because of

Tumblr and forum for the show.

I know we're kind of a small-ish group in this forum, but I feel like this website (and the old TWoP) has always attracted the more level-headed and intellectual fans/discussions in every fandom I've been involved with. I wish the writers looked here to interact with fans instead of Twitter. It would be neat if we could pull off a quasi-Reddit AMA session here where we could ask legitimate story questions and not be restricted to 140 characters or calling each other names.

Come on mods, this wouldn't be a pain in the ass to coordinate, right? ;)

• Love 5

I think inviting folks for a Q&A here where we can get more substantial sounds like a great idea.

I just took the dive into Twitter, but I'm holding back from following anyone associated with this show for now because I'm not sure I could take the drama. Is there any particular Twitter account that's interesting? I'm not likely to interact much with them, but I might want to just lurk.

I know we're kind of a small-ish group in this forum, but I feel like this website (and the old TWoP) has always attracted the more level-headed and intellectual fans/discussions in every fandom I've been involved with. I wish the writers looked here to interact with fans instead of Twitter. It would be neat if we could pull off a quasi-Reddit AMA session here where we could ask legitimate story questions and not be restricted to 140 characters or calling each other names.

Come on mods, this wouldn't be a pain in the ass to coordinate, right? ;)

For all its faults TWOP always attracted people who wanted to write essay posts about their TV shows, which is my thing and one reason why I'm not a fan of the fandom move to twitter/tumblr which don't encourage a lot of indepth back and forth. I'd be interested in expanding this further.

• Love 2

So, apparently this poll is kind of a big deal in the fandom right now? I don't get why this poll is so much more meaningful than other meaningless Internet polls. Is there a promised TV Guide-esque cover incentive going on here? Interview? Article written about the couple? Bueller?

• Love 1

The winner couple gets an interview. But some fans got so engaged because of the hate voting of haters. Swan Queen shippers were voting for The Mentalist couple like crazy and that's why all started.

Edited by RadioGirl27

I normally don't vote in online polls, because they are pretty meaningless. But I've been voting in this one since there's a possibility of an interview. We've closed the margin a bit and seem to be gaining. Some gif makers on tumblr have created some really cute gif sets to encourage voting.

• Love 1

3 of the 4 polls are neck to neck.  Shippers must be out in droves today.  At last count, Emma and Hook are 1.2% below that couple they're pitted against.  Someone find the Author to even the odds!

• Love 2

The more I vote in the poll, the wider the margin gets. :( I read on tumblr that a few OUAT ship fandom's who lost in the earlier rounds are voting against CS. If so, that is so lame. Any interview with any cast members from the show would be good publicity for the show itself. Ugh this fandom sometimes.

• Love 3

I ship exactly two couples in that whole damn poll and they are Olicity and Captain Swan. Boo. I have exempted myself from this round of voting. I figure one of my couples is going to win this round either way. 

It's funny, I've read things from both sides that turn my off to this type of fandom madness. According to Olicity fans, CSers have recruited four other fandoms to vote for them, and according to CSers, the other OUaT ships are voting against them out of spite. Knowing (and sort of loathing) the general (excluding the wonderful posters here) OUaT fandom as I do, I could definitely see the latter happening. 

• Love 3

Olicity and Captain Swan are my favorite ships from my two favorite shows. I just couldn't bring myself to vote for one over the other, especially not now that this has turned into some tug-of-war drama fest. No matter which one wins, or if neither of them wins, I'm still going to enjoy them both just as much, so I just can't see letting myself get worked up about it. I'm already worked up enough over my Wonderland ship. 

• Love 1

From what I see, CS has only its own fans voting, and Olicity has its own fans plus SQ, RB and disgruntled Delena fans voting against it. The fact that it's as close as it is is telling, IMO. 

I don't think CS fans got fired up about it until SQ fans started actively voting against them.

Edited by Souris

Voting ends tomorrow night and nothing would make a better birthday present that Captain Swan being advanced to the Final Four. ;)

Happy Birthday, Dani-Ellie!

Oh, god. I can't believe I let myself get roped into this. As a person who works on geeky computer things all day and uses keyboard shortcuts all the time, I just had to figure out a faster way to vote. With this kind of poll, 1-10 votes doesn't mean anything at this point. Now 50 votes? Okay, that might make a bit more of an impact. If anyone is interested, I've managed to find the perfect way to vote ≈50 times in only 5 minutes. (Because who really wants to spend more than 5 minutes voting on an Internet poll?)

1. Use Chrome as your browser. (You should be doing this already. If you aren't using Chrome, why aren't you using Chrome? I'll never understand why some people still use Internet Explorer...)
  2. Download the Duplicate Tab Chrome Extension. (This will allow you to quickly duplicate a tab using alt+shift+d.)
  3. Copy this link into the search bar: http://www.eonline.com/news/633485/tv-s-top-couple-tournament-2015-vote-for-your-favorite-pairing-in-the-elite-8-now
  4. Now -- this is the important part. Before you duplicate this tab, scroll down on the E! page so you can see the voting box right at the top of your screen. (This whole process is worthless if you skip this step and have to keep scrolling down past the annoying E! stuff at the top of the page and the big graphic before the poll.)
  5. Once the poll box is visible at the top of your screen, hold alt+shift down and then press the d key down for a long time and it will open up a ton of tabs for you. (You can also press the d key down individually as many times as you want if you want to keep track of how many new tabs you're actually opening.)
  6. Wait a couple seconds for all the pages to load. Go grab a coffee, look at the weather report, do some actual productive work you should be doing...
  7. Click on the first tab of the huge tab group you just created.
  8. Vote! Do the Captcha thing and hit Enter.
  9. Immediately after you hit Enter, close out your current tab by pressing ⌘+w (Mac) or ctrl+w (Windows) to send you to the next tab. -- OR...if you want to just switch tabs: (For Mac Users:) Press ⌘+Option and the right arrow all together to switch to the next tab. (For Windows Users:) Press Ctrl+Tab or Ctrl+PgDown. (You technically don't need to do this keyboard shortcut if you don't want to. Using your mouse to click on the next tab does the exact same thing, but I've found this shortcut just cuts the time down a lot.) Keep doing this process over and over until you get through all the tabs.
  10. Don't bother refreshing any of the pages. Once you've hit Enter and submitted your vote, go immediately to the next tab. (If you're using those keyboard shortcuts to jump to the next tab, you'll know you've voted in every single tab once it circles you back to your original first tab and you'll see the poll you already voted in with the checkmark on the page.)
  11. If you want to do that all again, close out of Chrome and restart the whole process. (It's actually faster than having to refresh every page again because of their site's slow servers.)

And in the amount of time it took me to type that out, I probably could have voted 150 times. So don't let my typing go in vain, people! 

Edited by Curio
  • Love 7

Do the rabid SQ fans give Lana grief too?

They did with that After Ellen poll from this summer. I think they gave both Jen and Lana crap for not doing an interview with After Ellen when the site guaranteed something that didn't seem to be guaranteed. So then Lana did the interview and all the SQers quieted down a bit while throwing the stink eye at Jen. These actors can never win with this fandom.

ETA: Oh Curio, what have you done to me? Also, do you mind if I post this on tumblr? It may give the others an advantage but it may also give one to us. And seriously, the only reason I'm still doing this is because Colin has repeatedly retweeted the link. I can't let that sweet Irish man down.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 4

ETA: Oh Curio, what have you done to me? Also, do you mind if I post this on tumblr? It may give the others an advantage but it may also give one to us. And seriously, the only reason I'm still doing this is because Colin has repeatedly retweeted the link. I can't let that sweet Irish man down.

Please, go for it sharky! I'm just glad my nerdy shortcut research might help some voters out.

• Love 1

I generally don't crazy vote for polls (it has happened), but this time I've been voting like crazy for the past three rounds. I want the interview!! Voting on my phone seems easier as no captcha word is required, but Curio's method seems more efficient (no refreshing... :-p). Going to do this... (And yes, Chrome is the best browser!)

I don't think CS fans got fired up about it until SQ fans started actively voting against them.

I think this is definitely part of the case. I think it happened in the CS vs. Mentalist round? Because according to many, that fandom is not big/rabid enough to put up that much of a fight.

Oh well, voting for CS where I can!

I wish people would actually vote for stuff they like rather than actively vote against others.

• Love 5

Just a word of caution for anyone using my voting method: I wouldn't try duplicating the tabs more than 50 times, otherwise it just gets too slow to load up. Anywhere from 25-50 tabs open at a time is about the perfect amount. If you wait about a minute before you start, 50 tabs open at a time seems to load up just fine.

• Love 1

9. Immediately after you hit Enter, (For Mac Users:) Press ⌘+Option and the right arrow all together to switch to the next tab. (For Windows Users:) Press Ctrl+Tab or Ctrl+PgDown. (You technically don't need to do this keyboard shortcut if you don't want to. Using your mouse to click on the next tab does the exact same thing, but I've found this shortcut just cuts the time down a lot.) Keep doing this process over and over until you get through all the tabs

As an alternate, after voting, press Ctrl+W (Windows)  to close the current tab and automatically go to the next one. Saves one more step. ;-)

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

As an alternate, after voting, press Ctrl+W (Windows)  to close the current tab and automatically go to the next one. Saves one more step. ;-)

Wow, I totally should have thought of that earlier. Thanks, Rumsy! I'll go edit my original direction post...

Okay, yeah. I just tested it out and ctrl+w is way more effective. It's so much more motivating watching 50 tabs dwindle down to nothing. 

Edit: Well, that didn't take very long. Looks like the other team has Belichick'ed your tumblr post, sharky. ;) I'm actually quite flattered people seem to like that shortcut. Hooray, Chrome!

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

Someone created a clearly fake TV news website with a clearly fake article claiming that Rumple is being killed off this season and that season 5 will be the last. And yet... a lot of people in the fandom seem to be falling for it. I am choosing to believe that all of these people either don't speak English as a first language and/or are teenagers, rather than the alternative that many adults fluent in English cannot discern between a credible news source and obvious bullshit.

I used to run a fan site for an actor, and as an April Fool's joke, I posted a fake article saying that he shaved his head for a role, and I included a link to a photo which was clearly photoshopped, and it said "April Fool's!" on it. But some newspaper, in India I think it was, published the article as fact! Ever since then, I've been very careful with what I post online. LOL

Poll update: Hook/Emma = 50.8%   woot!

• Love 4

You're welcome Sharky. :)

Here's something else that I just saw on tumblr that might make you laugh:

tumblr_nl22mtQfnL1qb5zzpo1_540.jpg

source

He also just posted:

#GoodAdviceIn4Words NEVER. APOLOGIZE. FOR. FANGIRLING.

I love him. :)

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 4