Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

So CS won this round. But I just realized how very wanky the fandom will be if JMo does this interview and not AfterEllen.

It's a canon ship. She shouldn't be harassed for doing an interview about it. I know, doesn't mean she won't be though.

• Love 4

Yeah, I don't know if the interview thing is legit or not. That's going around Tumblr, but I don't know where it came from. Maybe it's based on past years? Or it could just be a fanon belief that has sprung from collective desire.

Edited by Souris

Do we know what the source is on the interview at the end? I can't seem to find anything.

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. I've tried to find a legit source confirming it but haven't found anything. I'm thinking it might just be wishful thinking by all the fandoms involved. Although, if Hook and Emma somehow come out on top of this poll, Colin and Jen should do the (hypothetical) interview in character. It's a silly Internet poll, so they might as well have fun with it. Hook can be confused about the Internet while Emma tries to explain the strange concept of millions of people all living in a tiny box.

Also, based on the amount of people reposting my directions to vote faster on Tumblr, Google should seriously give me some royalties for the large amount of people who flocked to their extension page to download that duplicate app. I'll take a 12% cut, Google...

Edited by Curio
  • Love 4

Do we know what the source is on the interview at the end? I can't seem to find anything.

I found Kristin's original article asking for nominations for the top couple poll. Nothing there. When voting started in the first round, nothing about an interview there either. Maybe she's done an interview in years past?

I asked someone on tumblr if they had a source for an interview, and they said:

It doesn’t state it, but if you look in the past, every single winner there ever was for this poll gets a trophy and an exclusive interview! So it’s unspoken but has always happened.

But I've looked and can't find anything except for winners giving a little thank you message.

Also, based on the amount of people reposting my directions to vote faster on Tumblr, Google should seriously give me some royalties for the large amount of people who flocked to their extension page to download that duplicate app. I'll take a 12% cut, Google...

It was one of my most popular posts on tumblr and I thank you for that. So nice to see everyone come together to get them to the next round. And then it's just going to start all over again....

It was one of my most popular posts on tumblr and I thank you for that.

Ha, really? That's awesome. If Google ever gets around to giving me those royalties, I'll give you part of the share. :)

So CS won this round. But I just realized how very wanky the fandom will be if JMo does this interview and not AfterEllen.

There shouldn't be any wank because there's a huge difference between giving an interview for a canon couple written specifically as a real relationship on the show and a fandom couple. Would people be freaking out if Josh and Colin didn't do an interview if Captain Charming won a poll? Fandom will freak out over anything, so just ignore the crazies and enjoy the nice moments. (Huh, isn't that one of the themes of the show?)

• Love 1

I'm really enjoying some of the hilarious GIF sets that are popping up on tumblr trying to get everyone to go vote for CS.  I think those do a really good job of not only showcasing how talented folks in the fandom are, but also bringing everyone together for a fun "cause."

• Love 4

Last night I really started getting into the voting and was happy to see all the celebratory tweets when CS won. I've forgotten how fun it can be to go all fangirl now and then. :)

What I also liked about it is despite the fact that I live in ACC country, I have no interest in college basketball. It was cool to participate in brackets for a team that I actually care about.

ETA: And, yes, a lot of the "please vote" gifs and Vines were very creative.

Edited by ABitOFluff

I know its all kind of silly, but I love when fandom can all come together to do something fun. It kind of reminds you what we love about being a fan, especially when you spend so much time over-analyzing things, like I tend to do. 

• Love 2

I would've been perfectly happy with Jamie/Claire winning, and would have had a hard time choosing if it had come down to them vs CS, but with them sadly out of the running now, I guess I'll just have to vote for CS.  Oh darn.  Gosh, I haven't done a voting spree like this since college.  I guess you never really lose your inner fangirl.

• Love 3

Wow, winning over a popular CW couple is actually impressive. I don't ship anyone on the list, but I've voted for CS and Ichabbie just because I like these characters (or used to, in Hook's case....), don't like Glee and hate TVD ever since it's gone bad.

Meanwhile, my tumblr post with Curio's instructions has now been picked up by the Klaine fans. I love it! I'm just going to have to hold on to those instructions for anything I ever have to vote on from now on. :)

• Love 1

I think a few years ago it would have been closer, but right now Glee has lost most of its fans. Also, their series finale airs in a few days (weeks?) so they may be all about that and not have time for polls. It's good that we aren't neck-to-neck in this at least - I think the finale will be.

We need to keep an eye on it, though, since there is still so much time left. I don't think CS fans are power-voting as much as last round because of the big lead, but it has dropped a couple of points. Each round lasts way too long!

It is just a little surprising to me that the pair even got this far and now doesn't seem to have the support.

They are one of the few big canon male/male couples on TV, of course they have die-hard fans. It's just that many seem to hate their writing and the show itself.

To be fair, we also have very diligent fans who knew exactly when the poll would open based on previous posts. The trick seems to jump in at the very start before the other fandom sees the page is up and get an early lead. They're probably voting as hard as us now but because we got that first hour of voting in, we built up a base.

LOL Souris. Fear not, I think there is a voting party going on right now on tumblr! I've only voted once this round, and probably won't vote again until there's a chance that CS might actually lose.

Orlando Jones posted a link on Twitter to vote for Colin in the Zap2it social media poll (sadly, he's losing badly to Sam Heughan, but CS fans are pretty occupied at the moment with the E! poll). I screencapped it and posted it on Tumblr -- and Orlando Jones himself Liked it within a minute of me posting it. Somebody is trolling his own tag, LOL!

• Love 5

LOL, I actually think Colin shouldn't win that poll. His social media posting is weak and uninteresting. I'm not sure if the other dude is better, but it can't be worse. But it's cute that Orlando posted it. He's a bit messy on Twitter, though, and I can't imagine what will happen next week when CS goes up against Ichabbie.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 3

I once made a reference to something Orlando said in a post on tumblr and he liked it! I had been on tumblr for a month or something and got Orlando Jones to like my post. He's definitely very plugged into fandom, but I don't know if I would be able to handle that with one of the actors from Once. I mean, knowing Colin read our fanfic or Jennifer liked our posts about her on tumblr would make my head explode.

• Love 5

If the final round is CS vs. Ichabbie, as it looks now, Ichabbie will be VERY tough to beat. They've been the top vote getters in every round (there's a link where they rank all the couples by vote total, and Ichabbie has been No. 1 all along).

• Love 1

If the final round is CS vs. Ichabbie, as it looks now, Ichabbie will be VERY tough to beat. They've been the top vote getters in every round (there's a link where they rank all the couples by vote total, and Ichabbie has been No. 1 all along).

Don't I know it. I love ichabbie but I'll vote for Captain Swan if they are head to head cause OTP. lol

I had a feeling those Vampire Diaries fans would rally around. I'm still shocked CS wom over Delena. I thought that ship has a huge fanbase. Or is it a spent force?

I figured that their voting/social power has begun to dwindle. The show is in it's 6th? season now. It's probably past it's prime (I've never watched it, but from what I've heard). you also have new shows and fandoms moving in, ready to take over.

Yeah, the TVD fandom is similar to OUAT in that there are a lot of popular ships that have as many lovers as they have haters. Even Steroline, while they have lots of fans, also have all the Klaroline and Stelena fans voting against, I'm guessing, and maybe even some Delena fans (they've been the reigning champions for a couple of years running, so they'd probably rather a different fandom entirely won. If Steroline wins, it "means" they're not the most popular TVD ship anymore).

Anyway, while I'm not really counting on an interview, I'm hoping we at least get a tweet if we win, and I'm sure E! Online gets to interview actors all the time so they'd mention it to them.

Crazy last minute twist! Steroline pulled ahead to Ichabbie!

What the heck happened overnight?? CS also dropped like 8 points, though it's gone back up again.

The final is gonna be brutal.