Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: For Better or Worse

jewel21
  • Start Topic

On the day of Kit and Bell's wedding, Bell and Conrad get pulled away to tend to the ill daughter of a major hospital donor. Meanwhile, Billie takes Gigi and Sammie dress shopping.

Airdate: 10/25/2022

Finally finished S5 (I got into this late), but wanted to see the Kitbell wedding so I decided to watch tonight and see the earlier episodes of S6 another time.

It was overall a good episode but why hype the wedding so much only to barely show it? It seems like most of my TV couples get rushed screen time weddings or it gets messed up in some way, but when it’s a couple I hate I have to endure the whole stupid thing LOL. 🤣 I wish that they would’ve cut out some of the filler with Bell and let him get there on time!

Also, how is it realistic that the mother went from won’t be able to donate her liver for weeks or months to able to get a heart procedure and have the transplant happen on the same day and now she’s fine? 

I liked the show better when Nic was around. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Also, how is it realistic that the mother went from won’t be able to donate her liver for weeks or months to able to get a heart procedure and have the transplant happen on the same day and now she’s fine? 

The magic of television.

But someone must get the asshole druggie out of the O.R.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

AJ didn't want to do the procedure, he said that it was too dangerous until she recovers but the mom insisted because there was no other oprion and the girl would die.

Just when I'm starting to like Cade, Conrad is very close dancing with Billie.

I loved the winged dresses for Gigi and Sammie. The actress playing Sammie is very good.

What happenef to Kit's ill son-in-law? Did he die at the end of season 4? And why wasn't Kit's daughter at the wedding.

Kit's dress was lovely. I liked Devon's and Leela's dressed up outfits. Didn't like Billie's, it made her look dowdy.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I was happy to see the wedding. Billie is a beautiful woman and I couldn’t understand her wearing such a dowdy dress. I hope the druggie dad story ends soon. I don’t believe drugs like that are just lying around the operating rooms; every drug is accounted for these days. In real life they would never have done that transplant. It doesn’t matter if the donor is ok with it, they still have procedures to follow. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

To answer the question: it is not. And that goes for 98% of the stories in this show - and I am being careful with the percentage here. It probably more like 99.999998% 

• Love 2

I honestly have to wonder if Jessica is an idiot or just morally bankrupt. She's been in the OR with Ian twice now where he's been clearly compromised in some fashion and has said nothing about it to any one. Add that to her working with Bell when he was full HODAD (I know the show wants us to forget but I never will) and helping him cover up his errors and I think she might be evil because she is apparently supposed to be good at her job.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

I don’t really understand why they included the exchange about the little girl being such a fast signer that most interpreters can’t keep up with her. 

First of all…that’s not a thing. Professional interpreters are fluent. Many are CODA (children of deaf adults), which means that for a lot of them, ASL is their first language—learned before English and the primary language of their home. A kid doesn’t sign so “fast” they can’t understand. I mean, think about that…have you ever met a kid who speaks your primary language who speaks it so “fast” that you can’t understand them? THAT’S NOT A THING!

But even beyond that, that actress was not a great signer. Which is fine. Realistic, even. A lot of hearing parents’ signing skills are basic, and their fluency is kinda stilted and slow. Our brains aren’t really built to adopt language to fluency after puberty.

And the daughter was also using very basic signs and the absolute simplest, most bare bones syntax. Which…great! A child whose parent had a more basic skill level would likely operate at the parent’s level rather than their own.

But, then…why make it a point to say that the little girl is such a speed signer that most PROFESSIONAL INTERPRETERS can’t “keep up” with her. But her mom can. And then show both of them to be very basic, and even slow, signers? Just don’t mention their speed at all!!!

I know that’s something that the vast majority of people wouldn’t know about, let alone care about, but I found it supremely annoying. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7

Manish Dayal did a great job directing the 100th episode! 👏🏻

My 2 favorite parts of this episode:

*️⃣ Billie taking the girls dress shopping.

*️⃣ Conrad Ricamora (Jake) singing Can't Help Falling in Love. 😘

Did not pay attention to the mother/daughter’s liver transplant case and Ian’s drug drama at all.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I was happy to see the wedding. Billie is a beautiful woman and I couldn’t understand her wearing such a dowdy dress. 

I've never warmed to the Billie character, and I don't see any chemistry between her and Hawkins, but I couldn't help feeling sorry for her in this episode -- she looked terrible! Dowdy dress and dowdy hair that didn't complement her at all. Her stylist should be fired.

5 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Would have loved Mina to come back for the wedding. 

I'd love Mina to come back for any reason!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, auntiemel said:

But, then…why make it a point to say that the little girl is such a speed signer that most PROFESSIONAL INTERPRETERS can’t “keep up” with her.

Maybe they should have Gigi there. I bet she can pick up anything out of thin air and even sign FASTER than anyone (just wanted to snark, I haven't watched the episode, have no idea of what I am talking about here)

• LOL 2

So I didn't check... but I am guessing this episode was directed by the actor who plays Devon? Since he didn't show up until the 20 minute mark.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:02 AM, vibeology said:

I honestly have to wonder if Jessica is an idiot or just morally bankrupt. She's been in the OR with Ian twice now where he's been clearly compromised in some fashion and has said nothing about it to any one. Add that to her working with Bell when he was full HODAD (I know the show wants us to forget but I never will) and helping him cover up his errors and I think she might be evil because she is apparently supposed to be good at her job.

I mean one of the looks she gave in the OR felt like "is this guy HODAD2??" - right around when Papa Cade asked for loud music.

Also, yeah, the actress for Gigi is not good. Can we replace her with Sammie? Everyone just accepts she is both GiGi and Sammie.

9 hours ago, bros402 said:

Also, yeah, the actress for Gigi is not good. Can we replace her with Sammie? Everyone just accepts she is both GiGi and Sammie.

She is quite bad, actually. She isn't a natural child actress, every time she says something it seems forced, whiny, of she is surprised it is exaggerated. Maybe she is better in a big theater where her overacting might be reduced by the distance between the stage and audience, but I don't believe that either. She is just bad. Sammie seems more natural 

Edited by circumvent

In TV shows transplants are like, cut here, put inside there, staples, close, done!

A liver transplant takes many hours, and it is complicated. In this show they perform the transplant and then they are off to t a wedding, as one does, naturally.

Just another day in the life.

Why couldn't the writers pretend that they care about a little accuracy and come up with another surgery, just to create the dram? Why did they have to go so way out there to get the episode ultra dramatic? It does not work for me. I just get annoyed. Don't they realize that by going too dramatic they simply kill all the expectation? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I finished the episode - finally - and I was reading the comments here regarding Billie's dress. I looked it up because I thought she looked different, and I thought pregnant (her face seemed fuller) and the actress recently had a baby so whey they taped the episode she was still "full". I didn't care about the dress one way or another but maybe wardrobe wanted to hide the after-baby bump and decided to cover her up completely. They probably have only the "sexy" option or the "hide everything" option

Something else I noticed was Bell's son singing at the wedding. Nothing wrong with that but the director could have had some of the extras being a band, or maybe have one as a singer, because the way the scene played, it looked like the son (forget his name) was actually the only singer, which is weird when it is your father's wedding. Bad directing

Also, Conrad should not try to sing ever again. 

Not that I expect realism, but as the mother already stated there was no family and nobody in her life, what did she expect would happen to her daughter if the mother died?

I understand she felt she needed to sacrifice her life so her daughter could live, but somehow some way I wish they had insisted on finding someone on the father’s side. Maybe they could have been a match and healthy enough for a transplant, OR take the daughter home if the mother did die.

I don’t like Cade, but I realized I did not feel happy watching Conrad snuggling up with Billie.

Edited by Arkay
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, circumvent said:

In TV shows transplants are like, cut here, put inside there, staples, close, done!

A liver transplant takes many hours, and it is complicated. In this show they perform the transplant and then they are off to t a wedding, as one does, naturally.

Just another day in the life.

All I could think of was that now she will have to be on transplant drugs all her life. A friend of mine had a lung transplant and now he produces no Covid antibodies no matter how many vaccinations he gets. He's had a very hard time the past 3 years.

It's not that easy to have a transplant.

12 hours ago, circumvent said:

I finished the episode - finally - and I was reading the comments here regarding Billie's dress. I looked it up because I thought she looked different, and I thought pregnant (her face seemed fuller) and the actress recently had a baby so whey they taped the episode she was still "full". I didn't care about the dress one way or another but maybe wardrobe wanted to hide the after-baby bump and decided to cover her up completely. They probably have only the "sexy" option or the "hide everything" option

I figured that there was still post baby weight but there are better dresses for it than contouring clingy. But more than that, her hair was awful. Even Cade, super busy in the ER. had time to set and curl her hair while Billie's just hung there, stringy.

14 hours ago, circumvent said:

She is quite bad, actually. She isn't a natural child actress, every time she says something it seems forced, whiny, of she is surprised it is exaggerated. Maybe she is better in a big theater where her overacting might be reduced by the distance between the stage and audience, but I don't believe that either. She is just bad. Sammie seems more natural 

Oh yeah, I just didn't feel like typing out "holy crap she is really bad"

they should either age her up and get a new actress or shelve Gigi for a bit.

47 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

All I could think of was that now she will have to be on transplant drugs all her life. A friend of mine had a lung transplant and now he produces no Covid antibodies no matter how many vaccinations he gets. He's had a very hard time the past 3 years.

It's not that easy to have a transplant.

I figured that there was still post baby weight but there are better dresses for it than contouring clingy. But more than that, her hair was awful. Even Cade, super busy in the ER. had time to set and curl her hair while Billie's just hung there, stringy.

I was also thinking about needing transplant drugs for life!

Has your friend gotten Evushield? I have heard that works rather well for the immunocompromised who don't respond to the vaccine.

I was also like "uhhh a transplant isn't just drag and drop"

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I figured that there was still post baby weight but there are better dresses for it than contouring clingy.

I agree. The problem is the wardrobe department that thinks every woman needs to be either skinny or really love her body however it comes. Since the character never said anything about curves, and body image, they felt they needed to hide the extra pounds because she could not be sexy and have curves, it would be out of character - which is bullshit

Oh, I loved the song and performance……lovely.  I like that guy.  He used to be on HTGAWM.  I liked the dresses too.  I think Billie had on a wig. Hmmmmm….lovely flowers!  

Yeah, gotta get that addicted doctor into rehab or something.  

• Love 2
On 10/28/2022 at 11:30 AM, circumvent said:

Something else I noticed was Bell's son singing at the wedding. Nothing wrong with that but the director could have had some of the extras being a band, or maybe have one as a singer, because the way the scene played, it looked like the son (forget his name) was actually the only singer, which is weird when it is your father's wedding. Bad directing

Also, Conrad should not try to sing ever again. 

Jake (Bell's son) also officiated.  Were they on a budget or something?  I mean, I know Chastain is in dire financial straits, but I'd have thought Bell and Kit would've been able to scrape up enough money to hire some professionals... ;)

When you say Conrad shouldn't sing again, do you mean Hawkins, the character, or Ricamora, the actor playing Jake?  The former?  Yes, please do not sing again.  I thought the latter did a nice job.  I also love that guy from HTGAWM and the movie Fire Island.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Jake (Bell's son) also officiated.  Were they on a budget or something?  I mean, I know Chastain is in dire financial straits, but I'd have thought Bell and Kit would've been able to scrape up enough money to hire some professionals... ;)

When you say Conrad shouldn't sing again, do you mean Hawkins, the character, or Ricamora, the actor playing Jake?  The former?  Yes, please do not sing again.  I thought the latter did a nice job.  I also love that guy from HTGAWM and the movie Fire Island.

Jake officiating is fine, families do that. One of my brothers did for the other one.

I meant the actor who plays Conrad - forget his name. The little bit he sang was terrible, so he better stick with the (bad) acting. At least we are used to that by now (I think)

On 11/16/2022 at 9:56 PM, Avabelle said:

I don’t remember Andrew McCarthy being this awful an actor in the 80s. 

Oh I do. In my mind Andrea McCarthy just stares at whoever he's talking and that's his acting - staring 🤷‍♀️

• Love 1
On 10/25/2022 at 10:11 PM, statsgirl said:

Just getting around to watching this one and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that Billie was wearing a really dowdy and matronly dress. I didn't know about the actress just having a baby, but still seems like they could have dressed her better. She's a beautiful woman, and there was no reason for her to look like the grandmother of the bride. 

Also, I did wonder why Kit's children were never shown or at least mentioned. 

• Love 2