Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Flesh and Blood

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

The case of the week was interesting. Felt sorry for Poppernak. The whole thing can't have been good for his self-esteem. Hopefully he's ok with it. Although Beau and Jennie teasing him was funny.

They're throwing in more complications in the other story. So Luke and Paige stole millions, and Paige took off with it. From what Avery said, it's in some kind of crypto account?

Still not sure about Carla. Still coming off a bit obnoxious/arrogant. But who knows.  

Tonya and Donno were cute. The way Tonya's eyes lit up and her brain started whirring at hearing $15 million! Don't know why I like these bad guys. 

Hiker died of an accident, something we already knew. Cassie and Cormac seem to work well together. He seems to be an innocent so far.

When will they start showing some background on all these characters? Can't help but think that the backgrounds are all connected some way. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I haven't watched prior seasons, so I have no idea if Poppernak is capable or not, but from this episode, Beau firing him shouldn't have been a joke.  He's wandering around alone, after a suspect known to have stabbed someone with a screwdriver, and then gets distracted by a pretty girl smiling at him and boom!  Hostage!  Again, if he is competent, this episode didn't do him any favors.

The Paige/Walter interactions are seriously creepy.  Was the fighting between her and Luke about a camping vs beach vacation just a show?  If they had just stolen $15M and were looking for a place to hide out for a while, the camping option is more off the grid and would seem to be a much better choice.  Although they were found out very quickly so maybe getting lost at a crowded beach resort might have worked out better!

• Like 1

There was too much time devoted to the B story this week, but I'm glad Poppernak is OK. He's my favorite supporting character.

I hate that Donno is so entertaining. "I want to ride a white horse. I'll call it Gandalf." He weirded out the other creepy character, Sunny, ha.

Jenny and Beau have a little chemistry but they seem to be sticking with the friend route for now, which is good. He's obviously still a little hung up on the ex. 

I missed the dialogue between Avery and Luke and need to rewatch. 

But Luke, having the worst vacay ever, lol. Avery, Donno, Tonya all popping up to threaten him. Donno: "Chop chop!"

Cassie deserves a break. Hopefully Cormac isn't aware of mom's shady side. They're cute together and have crazy chemistry.

I liked Buck at the beginning but I don't think he's making it through the season.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this show.  I like the way they're blending the crime of the week with the main/Sunny story (I didn't really like what I saw of season 1 and think this works better.)  About the characters:  I pretty much like them all, except for Jenny, who annoys me.  Maybe it's just me, but I want law enforcement to be less emotional, even though she does pull herself together when faced with an emergency.  (Maybe it's just her face:  she always seems ready to cry?) 

But my main issue is that I really want the writers to pay a little more attention to reality and less to how things work as Drama.  I don't need a police procedural, but if the characters are supposed to be so smart, why do they do such stupid things?  (And I'm not even counting Cassie's simpering looks at Cormac and everyone's perfect makeup, tight clothing and shoes).  Why did Cassie have to go out at night to look for the carved heart (and how could she find it so easily in the dark?)  Why, so that she could find the burning truck, of course.  And why did Buck choose that spot to park and burn it?  (It apparently wasn't there before, or someone would have noticed it while wandering in search of the backpacker.)  Couldn't he have pushed it off a cliff so that it looked like an accident?

Why wasn't the backpacker eaten by various animals by the time they found him? They did say the vultures did a job on him, but he seemed remarkably intact to me.  Besides, I thought Walt buried him?  And if he was dug up, wouldn't the coroner's office have found some hints of that?  (I suppose that will turn up later so Cassie can prove that it wasn't an accident.)

But the thing that really bothered me this time was the bank.  There were just so many things wrong here, but the one I couldn't get past was the safe-deposit box scene.  Yes, it makes a lovely dramatic scene to see them flinging open boxes to see whatever's inside (not to mention the enormous stack of cash in one)--but in 3 different banks in two different states, I've never seen any that has a "master key" to open all the boxes.  That hardly makes them secure, does it?  

And if your mom cut you out of her will/took away your inheritance, would breaking into her safe deposit box really get it back?  Unless she has a large stash of jewelry in there, and that was never mentioned.  It was all to have a mommy-issues sledgehammer moment.  *sigh*

So much potential for good stories, and such a stupid way to go about it.  It has to be deliberate, which means that the writers don't think the audience will notice or care. And maybe they're right.  *double sigh*

There are still a lot of dangling ends so I'll keep watching, because the ideas are good, and usually the resolution is satisfying.  It's only the bits in between that make me cringe.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Since this show, even S1 and S2, wasn't really meant to be a procedural,  I have been ignoring everything except the pretty people and overall story. 

After years of CSI, which also had many fantasy moments,  this show as a "police show" seems mostly out of touch.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, MAK said:

Since this show, even S1 and S2, wasn't really meant to be a procedural,  I have been ignoring everything except the pretty people and overall story. 

After years of CSI, which also had many fantasy moments,  this show as a "police show" seems mostly out of touch.

I like logic in stories (especially police shows).  I can ignore a few WTF moments if they're necessary for the plot, but when they outnumber the reasonable ones they take me out of the story.  And it could be so easy to fix.  😩

• Like 2
  • Love 2

That's kind of why I enjoyed S1 and S2. They focused on the crime and the criminals, not the investigations. The only one who seemed to know how to investigate was the US Marshal. 

Don't know how the books are written, I'd never heard of the author. If anyone has read his books, does he focus on the crime or the investigation?

Big Sky isn't the sort of show you really look for logic in.  It's escapism. and it is more about the mystery and the relationships between the characters, good and bad guys.

I like the way this season seems to be working on themes.  The biggest one seems to be parents and children, how parents hurt or try to protect their children, how children are affected by it(even once grown).  Even the cases of the week have largely fit into that theme.  Jenny and her mother, Beau and his daughter, Sunny and her son(s - but she doesn't seem to care much about what's going on with Cormac), etc.

Everyone in that camp is shady as hell. LOL  OK not everyone but I guess crazy attracts crazy.  

I agree with whoever up above said they don't think Buck is making it out of this season, though I don't know about Sunny either.  I feel like Walter might end up killing her.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Donno might be a weirdo on his beast day and a full-blown psychopath on his worst, but, really, who doesn't want to ride on a white horse named Gandalf?!  Him and Tonya going undercover as a married couple at that camp is easily going to be one of the highlights this season!  It's hilarious watching them already making everyone else go "WTF?!" when they interact with them, which is really saying something with this lot.

So, it looks like Walt did actually kidnap Paige, but he believes that he is "protecting" her instead of kidnapping her (in fairness, it does seem like like Luke was intending to hit her with that rock.)  It also sounds like she might have some kind of crypto device worth $15 million?  I guess that's why they've got everyone on their asses!

Case of the week was fun, but while I'm finding Poppernak more likable this season so far, he really did show himself to be inept here.  Granted, I can also think of times where both Jenny and Cassie either where taken off their guard way too easily or missed obvious signs of foul play, so maybe I should just accept that all law enforcement here is going to be graded on a curve...

Still not sure if Avery knows more than he lets on or if he really does just want to protect his family, but I'm all for Henry Ian Cusick getting to be more sinister here!

Out of the Barnes, I definitely think Buck is going to be a goner when this is all said and done.  Probably Sunny too, because all of this seems to be clearly leading to her need to protect Walt backfiring on her.  As for Walt, I can see him also dying or possibly being arrested.  I think Cormac is safe unless he's going to be caught in the crossfire.  Not sure yet if it's a good or bad thing that he's being set up as a love interest for Cassie!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I HATE Jenny's clothes. I understand its in the country and be more laid back but painted on jeans and high heeled lug boots? I was shocked that the people in the bank stayed even if the male robber said he'd kill Pappernik if they moved. IRL, you do what you can to stay alive, but I am happy Pappernik survived.  I'm trying to figure out Avery's angle (That's the step dad, right?). He seemed more shady than protective when he went into Paige and Luke's tent. Its nice to see another side of Reba, and I love Buck and Cormack.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I did find myself enjoying this episode, but there was nothing I hadn’t seen before in a dozen other similar series. What do the ‘glampers’ do all day?  Sit in their tent? Wander the woods?  A boring vacation I’d think. And not cheap probably. Although there’s lots going on in those woods. Bodies laying about, etc.

I don’t know why this is aired at 10pm. There’s nothing unsuitable for children.  Could be shown in the afternoon. It’s a generic drama. No sex, no violence.  It was pretty obvious the inept police officer  would survive.

I hope Jensen’s just doing one season. Although I do appreciate his wardrobe. 😍

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I laughed when Cassie went out in the woods AT NIGHT to look for the red heart carved into one tree. AT NIGHT in that crazy place. All I could think of is the commercial where the teens see a creepy person and say they have to hide. The girl says "Let's hide behind those chainsaws" and they all run there and "hide". When the creep arrives they run and this time the girls says "I know, let's get to the cemetery!".  😄 At any rate, Cassie made it through her bad decision and found an overly obvious clue with the burning truck. I've found that Big Sky watching definitely takes a tongue-in-cheek approach and as such, I've enjoyed this season as well as the previous two (except for those obnoxious teens).

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5

I surprised myself by liking this episode. It kept my attention through the entire hour, which is saying something. I have grown to seriously dislike Jenny though. Girl, get some shoes suitable for running and sneaking up on people. You know, like what REAL COPS wear.

I'm liking Cormac and Cassie. I'm all for that to progress onward.

Things I didn't like ... why in EVERY show where the bad guy has a good-guy hostage and the good cop confronts bad guy, both holding guns, the bad guy ALWAYS says "Drop your gun or I'll shoot your buddy." And the good guy ALWAYS drops his/her gun. Why not reply, "You put down your gun and give up. You'll get maybe a few months in jail, and that's all. But you shoot him and, when he drops, I shoot you. I either kill you or not, but if not, you are getting life (or death penalty depending on state) for killing that hostage. YOU decide which you want. Freedom or death. Make your choice."

I also get a big kick out of bad guys always observing safety first when escaping on a motorcycle, like gotta obey the law while making off with this bank-heist money, gotta put on my helmet. And Jensen chose safety first too in his pursuit. I know, I know, the helmets are to disguise the stunt riders who take the real actors' places. But still ... so hokey.

Jenny plus Jensen gets a big NO from me. And yes, LOL at Cassie out there in the pitch dark searching for some carving on some rando tree. I would have taken Cormac with me to show me where the heart is. (So to speak.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, MAK said:

The case of the week was interesting. Felt sorry for Poppernak. The whole thing can't have been good for his self-esteem. Hopefully he's ok with it. Although Beau and Jennie teasing him was funny.

They're throwing in more complications in the other story. So Luke and Paige stole millions, and Paige took off with it. From what Avery said, it's in some kind of crypto account?

Still not sure about Carla. Still coming off a bit obnoxious/arrogant. But who knows.  

Tonya and Donno were cute. The way Tonya's eyes lit up and her brain started whirring at hearing $15 million! Don't know why I like these bad guys. 

Hiker died of an accident, something we already knew. Cassie and Cormac seem to work well together. He seems to be an innocent so far.

When will they start showing some background on all these characters? Can't help but think that the backgrounds are all connected some way. 

Tonya is far more obnoxious and arrogant than Carla, imo. As are most of the men on the show. 

I've only watched once and I need to watch again, but I'm just crazy about this season.

I'm loving Beau and Jenny-or Harlen as  I've seen it named. They Rock My World, quite honestly. 

Love them. So much.

And I don't care what she wears and I LOVE! what he wears and I don't care that a lot of it all is unrealistic-all these characters just do it for me and I think that's the main reason that I keep coming back and why I can't wait for the next episode.

I guess Cormac IS in the dark about his half-brother. I guess...

Avery remains enigmatic, but not in a good way...

Carla should trust her initial feelings.

Tonya and Donno FTW!

I also LOLed at Cassie searching for clues in the dark of the night in the spooky woods and then seeing the suburban on fire and at Beau not catching the baddie as he ran away from the bank(because I know that Jensen Ackles was going at 3/4 speed-or less!-there), while still appreciating the smarts they gave him,  through the same writing, during the motorcycle chase.

Walter and Paige feels like something strange this way comes to me. 😳

Can't wait til next week.  

Edited by Myrelle
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I’m team CC (Cormac & Cassie).  They are just so good together.  Cormac needs to make it through the season. 

Cassie.  Have you never seen a horror movie?  What were you thinking?

Avery is hella sketchy.  He went into that tent on purpose (a few episodes ago).  I think he’s a crypto criminal. Which eventually will be a plot point. 

I loved how Beau shifted gears when Poppernak was in jeopardy.  The entire time he’s been on the show, he’s called him Pop-something (PopRocks. PopStar, etc..) and he used his proper last name the whole time.  Plus I loved his priorities: get a cruiser outside Pop’s mother’s house, called in ALL the support organizations, and gave Jenny a hug (with advanced warning so she could decline).  Although his judgement about getting a bike for his daughter?   NoNoNoNo.   Not cool Dad.  If she dies on that bike it’s years of grief and therapy all around.  

Jenny was still subdued this week.  Which was appropriate.  It’s funny, with two female leads we have ‘Mommy issues’ versus the standard ‘Daddy issue’.  Take THAT MCU! (She-Hulk shout out)

Donno is just stealing this show for me. I realize he’s a psychopath and a killer but I want Donyo to happen.  

Finally, Walter honey.  Your Momma or your step daddy is going put you in the ground.  Run away with the pretty criminal.  

• Like 2
  • Love 6
On 10/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Not as good as last week but, I liked the addition of Tonya and Donno to Sunny's camp. I have a feeling they will up the crazy to 11. I swear Tonya's eyes practically jumped out of her head at the $15 million comment.

That was a great moment and it didn't seem like Luke caught it, I think he thought they already knew about the 15 million which is why he just blurted it out, but that look in her eyes, it was a surprise to her(and a pleasant one from her expression).  Luke may have just gotten himself into even worse trouble than he was already in.

18 hours ago, SueB said:

I’m team CC (Cormac & Cassie).  They are just so good together.  Cormac needs to make it through the season. 

Cassie.  Have you never seen a horror movie?  What were you thinking?

Avery is hella sketchy.  He went into that tent on purpose (a few episodes ago).  I think he’s a crypto criminal. Which eventually will be a plot point. 

I loved how Beau shifted gears when Poppernak was in jeopardy.  The entire time he’s been on the show, he’s called him Pop-something (PopRocks. PopStar, etc..) and he used his proper last name the whole time.  Plus I loved his priorities: get a cruiser outside Pop’s mother’s house, called in ALL the support organizations, and gave Jenny a hug (with advanced warning so she could decline).  Although his judgement about getting a bike for his daughter?   NoNoNoNo.   Not cool Dad.  If she dies on that bike it’s years of grief and therapy all around.  

Jenny was still subdued this week.  Which was appropriate.  It’s funny, with two female leads we have ‘Mommy issues’ versus the standard ‘Daddy issue’.  Take THAT MCU! (She-Hulk shout out)

Donno is just stealing this show for me. I realize he’s a psychopath and a killer but I want Donyo to happen.  

Finally, Walter honey.  Your Momma or your step daddy is going put you in the ground.  Run away with the pretty criminal.  

Me too, I noticed Beau called Poppernak by his proper name when he was in jeopardy which I thought was great and was suitably impressed by his priorities and sensitivity.

Beau and Jenny's scene at the end while Poppernak got more beers was also nice.  I think there is something with Beau's much mentioned but never seen or heard from brother - that whole thing about relationships being a two way street even with family, maybe esp with family.

I wonder if his brother got mixed up with a cartel and either killed by them or maybe Beau was put in a situation where HE was forced to kill him to protect other people?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

think there is something with Beau's much mentioned but never seen or heard from brother - that whole thing about relationships being a two way street even with family, maybe esp with family.

I always thought they were the writers poking fun at SPN 😆

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 10/24/2022 at 11:41 PM, tessathereaper said:

I think there is something with Beau's much mentioned but never seen or heard from brother - that whole thing about relationships being a two way street even with family, maybe esp with family.

What if, Beau is somehow connected to Walter and his adoptive parents and possibly other foster kids? Walter was supposed to be somewhere else before he showed up at Sunny's glamping place. What if he had been in Texas? Lots of open space in Texas. 

Beau could be connected through a case involving Walter or something more personal.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

I don't think they'd pick fun at SPN with a thing like that - it's one thing to do little easter eggs like "never faced a werewolf before" or "salt for protection from demons" but this is something that informs Beau's character

IA.

I'm waiting patiently for the reveal of what happened between Beau and his brother. He told Jenny that all relationships should be a two-way street-even blood-especially blood.

So we know that it was probably a one way type of thing and likely in the same way that it seems like Jenny and her mom's has always been.

And maybe as a policeman, he might have had to kill his brother in order to save others. 

Hence the grief counseling consideration when he first arrived in town in the S2 finale.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, LilyP said:

I'm still waiting for the background on why Walter was adopted in the first place? Unwed mom? Unstable mom? Taken by child services?

I was assuming Reba's character was just young and not ready to be a mom? We know it was before she met her husband.

• Like 1

The stupid in this episode... it hurts...

In the whole city of Helena, the capital city of a state, the only law enforcement available (federal, state, county, municipal) for a potential bank robbery and kidnap of an officer was Hoyt and Arlen? And what kind of stupid, small-time criminals kidnapped an LEO, in uniform no less? Even if they managed to get away this time, they would spend their (short) life on the run.

I am a die-hard Katheryn Winnick fan, and that is why I am following this show. But 2-1/2 seasons in, I think I am exhausted. I am tired of the show opening multiple story lines and leaving plenty of loose ends behind, unsolved. We do not even know up to this episode who Trooper Legarski was working for.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Did anyone notice the ‘P - I - E’ sign on the side of the container at the storage place?

As Beau runs out of the manager’s office, while chasing the truck.

I immediately jumped up in my seat and yelled “pie”!

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, roamyn said:

Did anyone notice the ‘P - I - E’ sign on the side of the container at the storage place?

As Beau runs out of the manager’s office, while chasing the truck.

I immediately jumped up in my seat and yelled “pie”!

Yes, I saw it immediately. Another Easter egg. 😄

Am I the only one worried about Sunny's husband?  Apparently so worried I don't know his name.  But, he and Walter dont like each other.  And Walter's a wee bit off his rocker.  

And, yeah, i was like is there another guy that's going to stay in the lobby.  Because I'm not staying on the floor while nobody is watching me?  Did they even do a head count?  It might be OK if I sneak out and call 911. 

poppernak redeemed himself a tiny bit by closing the vault door.  This wouldn't have prevented him from closing the vault door, but if I took a cop hostage, I'd put his cuffs on him.  Which I think they did earlier, but apparently took them off.  I guess to delay the moment when someone knew something was up, but I think that wasn't worth it.  Especially when you have a smaller female holding a gun on a larger male.  Restraining him furthr wouldn't hurt.  Do I think too much how to be a successful criminal?  Perhaps.

Another sticking point is, why weren't the robbers wearing masks? The bank doesn't have cameras? The robbers don't know about cameras?

And like someone else mentioned, safety deposit boxes can't really be broken into like that. Every other cop show/procedural has them go in with special drills to drill through the lock mechanism.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 11/3/2022 at 6:30 AM, TV Anonymous said:

The stupid in this episode... it hurts...

In the whole city of Helena, the capital city of a state, the only law enforcement available (federal, state, county, municipal) for a potential bank robbery and kidnap of an officer was Hoyt and Arlen?

Helena has been dramatically downsized for the show.  Cassie and Jenny are the only PIs in town, for instance.  Not even close, but what the hell.