Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The Proposal

• Start Topic

A very nice episode to cap off the season.

Fitzroy 🥲 glad it was merely a flesh wound. Proud of him (and the other police guys) for finally standing up to his father.

Hattie's situation reminds me of Charlotte Lucas' situation in P&P. I think she'll manage to do okay, unless something goes terribly wrong before she gets hitched. Her fiance is a cutie pie, at least.

Almost thought Moses was going to put his foot down with Eliza. William is right about Eliza making it all about her sometimes. Her continually dragging Moses around this episode proves that point. 

Nice last 10ish minutes or so.

Ivy & Barnabas stole the show this season.

Looks like Mr. Nash is going to be around for a bit longer :/. I like some of their banter but he keeps giving me potential secondary love interest vibes, which I don't want. 

• Love 4

Way to finally grow a backbone, Fitzroy!

I knew as soon as the scorpion venom was introduced that Eliza would end up using it... Seemed like a dangerous plan to bet on the guy not shooting her before he touched the money (or in the couple minutes after he touched the money and before he passed out), but then this show has never been huge on realism. It also seemed to be the most ineffective gun ever-- Nash gets shot in the leg three times, and is able to stand and walk the next day with just a cane, and Fitzroy is seemingly fine hours after getting shot in the chest. At the very least you'd think blood loss and risk of infection would keep them bedbound, but whatever...

Tipsy Ivy interrupting the Eliza/ William moment at the end was both hilarious and maddening (and predictable... of course they can't have a moment).

Overall I liked season 2 more than season 1 (though I enjoyed the last two episodes of season 1 more than season 2). I hope the characters are allowed to continue to grow in season 3 (and that we get more Fitzroy and Harriet... and maybe Fitzroy/ Harriet? twelve-year-old viscount be damned...)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Nicely done, FitzBoy!  (as far as I can tell, he was shot in the shoulder, not the chest — that would also explain the sling)  He certainly has growth potential.  Probably something to be said for getting shot, in his case.  The worst thing imaginable for a copper — and he lived through it!  Roaring back at his father is nothing next to that now.  The “I am Spartacus” moment surprised me.  And I loved it.

I suspect Eliza will come out with The Speech next season, when either she or William face imminent death.  Please get rid of Nash, though, or marry him off, or something.  I am starting to get bored of everyone crushing on her.  Please don’t turn her into Rey.

A nice little bow round this set of episodes!  Can’t wait for January now.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

A very nice episode to cap off the season.

Fitzroy 🥲 glad it was merely a flesh wound. Proud of him (and the other police guys) for finally standing up to his father.

Hattie's situation reminds me of Charlotte Lucas' situation in P&P. I think she'll manage to do okay, unless something goes terribly wrong before she gets hitched. Her fiance is a cutie pie, at least.

Almost thought Moses was going to put his foot down with Eliza. William is right about Eliza making it all about her sometimes. Her continually dragging Moses around this episode proves that point. 

Nice last 10ish minutes or so.

Ivy & Barnabas stole the show this season.

Looks like Mr. Nash is going to be around for a bit longer :/. I like some of their banter but he keeps giving me potential secondary love interest vibes, which I don't want. 

I was so glad to see Fitzroy stand up to his dad. I did worry that he was going to die because it was hard to see that wound (at least for me). Hopefully now, his father gives him the time he needs to grow into the job, at whatever aspect of it he likes. 

Harriet didn't do too bad with her fiance. He is young, he is cute and I get a feeling he is nice. She could have ended up with some obese elderly guy. 

I love the interplay between Eliza and Moses. 

Overall, this season ended too soon but was very enjoyable. This was a nice finale. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Awwww! That was so cute! Nice way to end the season.

And Fitzroy! my boy! He came through! I'm glad he didn't die. The little actor is just so cute and is certainly playing the part with such earnest appeal! he's my new favorite.

Did anyone else think Hattie's fiancé was going to be some nasty old man? I did! So it was a nice surprise that the dude is just a little boy. But it was specifically mentioned earlier in the season -   I think by Hattie herself?--- that she and Eliza are the same age --  which is about late 20's? early 30's? and that dude looked VERY young - like maybe 18? So hm? a new set of problems for next season???

I just love love love Eliza and Moses! I'm not even going to be sorry about it! yes she leads him around but he sure is fine doing her bidding! It amuses me that he finds Eliza so fascinating!

and of course Eliza and William! Would either of them actually have said something to the other if William really did go to Scotland? I am happy William is staying though.

I liked the handkerchief bit. He knew Eliza didn't embroider them -- she even admitted it was Ivy - and at first he threw them away and then after some consideration -- he picked them out of the trash and added them to his box of belongings. Aw! S0 symbolic!

and I don't mind a bit of serious competition with that Nash dude. make William see that other men find Eliza desirable!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, taanja said:

Did anyone else think Hattie's fiancé was going to be some nasty old man? I did! So it was a nice surprise that the dude is just a little boy. But it was specifically mentioned earlier in the season -   I think by Hattie herself?--- that she and Eliza are the same age --  which is about late 20's? early 30's? and that dude looked VERY young - like maybe 18? So hm? a new set of problems for next season???

I thought he would be old, so I was VERY surprised how young he was. I think that works in her favor. He looked kind. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I enjoyed (not quite the accurate word, given the circumstance) Moses's snap at Eliza after her encounter in the slum.  For too long she has gone around with a satchel of naivete', thinking that she can go anywhere and get out of any problem with her wits alone.  She was genuinely taken aback when Moses snarled at her, and she finally realized that parts of her city are really dangerous.  She does need some cases from Nash so that she can build her business and hire some staff for those dangerous tasks.

I really liked William snatching the coroner's report out of Barnabas' hand.  "Gimme that!  Shaddap!"

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7

Nice episode.  It was obvious that William wasn't going to Scotland, and it was an added bonus that Fitzroy told off his overbearing and unreasonable father.  I noticed that Fitzroy even got Phelps to agree and support him, which was an accomplishment since Phelps didn't care for William and Fitzroy poured beer over Phelps' head.

Maybe I need to rewatch Season 1, because I didn't remember the bad guy at all.

I actually don't mind Nash, and I think it is good that he is going to be a referral source for Eliza.  It does seem to me that he is being written as a romantic rival, even though Nash said that plenty of people dislike him but Eliz is the only one that says it to his face.

Looking forward to Season 3, which I think begins airing in January.  Glad there won't be much wait.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Maybe I need to rewatch Season 1, because I didn't remember the bad guy at all.

It was William’s second. I ached for him over that massive betrayal! I’m not sure Phelps was on the roster last season. If he was, he was probably next in line to move up. 
OH! Sorry, You were talking about the released convict who wanted to kill Scarlet. I thought you were talking about the season long villain.  I do remember his face, but not what he did. Isn’t the actor well known? Adrian somebody, always plays the villain?

Edited by Daff
15 minutes ago, blackwing said:

On the [PBS] website there is a "which Masterpiece detective would be your partner" quiz.  I took it, and I got William Wellington!  I'm curious as to who the other choices might be.

I got Endeavour Morse (young version), so the choices may include a variety of detectives shown on PBS.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

BTW, I watch via the PBS website.  On the website there is a "which Masterpiece detective would be your partner" quiz.  I took it, and I got William Wellington!  I'm curious as to who the other choices might be.  Will have to take it a few more times to try and find out.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/quiz-which-detective-would-be-your-partner/

Congratulations, your partner is Eliza Scarlet! Get ready for some serious rule breaking and non-stop action. Eliza is determined, intelligent, and won't stop until all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. You also don't mind breaking rules when it's for the right reasons; it's more important to solve the crime and catch the culprit, rules be damned! You may have had people doubt you a time or two, but that's never stopped you from doing what you're meant to do. You delight in proving others wrong, but you're also caring and quite charming. You and Eliza will surely be successful partners and great friends!

^^^^^^^ Haha!

• Like 3
23 hours ago, blackwing said:

BTW, I watch via the PBS website.  On the website there is a "which Masterpiece detective would be your partner" quiz.  I took it, and I got William Wellington!  I'm curious as to who the other choices might be.  Will have to take it a few more times to try and find out.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/quiz-which-detective-would-be-your-partner/

Aaaauuuuuuggggghhhh I got Will from Grantchester. We’d kill each other in the first ten minutes. I like his taste in music but that’s it. Anyone wanna trade?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

A satisfying, satisfactory conclusion to season two. I enjoyed Hattie's aunt letting down her guard (& quickly raising it again), Moses snapping at Eliza, Eliza discovering that she may have impulsively put herself at risk for ego's sake, that some places (like the Rookeries (which really were dreadful and deadly) should not be approached lightly. The engagement party scene was interesting, too. For me, there were more characters and fewer caricatures this season. A good thing. Fitzroy delights. And I like Nash. A lot. So here's to season three. May it not disappoint. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I got Endeavor.  I'm going to retake the test and tweak the answers until I get  Miss Scarlet, I will.

Ugh, that might be worse (Endeavour worse than Will, I mean). I can’t stand being around people who not only know they’re the smartest ones in the room but treat everyone else like they don’t know anything. 

I could work with Annika for sure. And Father Brown, Vera, Lewis, Hathaway, and both Barnabies.

On topic: I loved Fitzroy gathering the troops to stand up to his father. I hope Wellington doesn’t pay for it again.

I really do enjoy Eliza’s motley crew: Hattie, Ivy, Moses, Clementine. More Scoobies, please!

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

On topic: I loved Fitzroy gathering the troops to stand up to his father. I hope Wellington doesn’t pay for it again.

I may have imagined it, but I though I saw a glimmer of pride in Fitzroy's daddy's eye when Fitzroy summoned the troops.

4 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I really do enjoy Eliza’s motley crew: Hattie, Ivy, Moses, Clementine. More Scoobies, please!

Indeed, this show's secret weapons!

• Love 6

I got Endeavour Morse!

Congratulations, your partner is Endeavour Morse! Morse is a very cerebral person and appreciates those who can keep up with him, like you. He may struggle with working with a whole team, but a serious, detail-oriented partner like you would be someone he welcomes with open arms. Morse is someone who prefers to be challenged, whether by a case or academics. You, too, enjoy exercising your brain and learning all that you can across a variety of topics, and you're probably an avid reader, too. You and Morse will get along like two introverted peas in a pod!

Would have liked Eliza though. 

OK, I'll admit it... I don't get the Fitzroy/Eliza shipping.  Please, no.  Just, no.  I think it's cute that he has a crush on her, but there is absolutely -0- indication that she has any romantic feelings for him.  I think she's amused by how he frustrates William, but likes how William has a soft spot for him and takes him under his wing.  I think she regards him more like a golden retriever puppy than anything possibly romantic.

I'd like them to keep his character development on its current arc - him getting a spine, telling off daddy, rounding up the troops to support William, etc.  I'd like his school smarts to be shown to be an asset as a detective, and to get a little respect from the other officers/detectives.  But find him a love interest of his own.  Or hey, here's an idea... how about a single character just stay single?  Not every character has to be romantically matched. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I don't get the Fitzroy/Eliza shipping.

Is that a thing? (Here? On the internet in general?) I thought most of us here were shipping Fitzroy/ Harriet, if anything. I agree, Fitzroy/ Eliza is a no-go. She'd eat him alive. And I enjoy the growing Fitzroy/Duke (non-romantic) relationship, which would be shot if Fitzroy seriously pursued Eliza and/or Eliza showed any romantic interest in Fitzroy.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 11/21/2022 at 1:39 PM, libgirl2 said:
On 11/21/2022 at 11:35 AM, taanja said:

I thought he would be old, so I was VERY surprised how young he was. I think that works in her favor. He looked kind. 

The actor who plays Hattie was born in 1987 (per IMDB), which makes her WAY older than I thought she was (in real life, her character can be whatever age she wants) and the actor that plays Mr Dutch was born in 1999. I have no idea how old Hattie is supposed to be in the show, but I assumed mid-20s maybe since her aunt seems interested in marrying her off, but not treating her like a spinster who should just marry anyone she can get.  So it might be just that in reality the Hattie actor is 12 years older than the Mr Dutch actor, so even if their characters are supposed to be around the same age, it just isn't going to look it. 

But I agree that he looked kind, I hope she can just have a happy ending, and save all the drama for the title characters.

Edited by HappyHanna
  • Love 1
On 11/27/2022 at 7:30 PM, chaifan said:

OK, I'll admit it... I don't get the Fitzroy/Eliza shipping.  Please, no.  Just, no.  I think it's cute that he has a crush on her, but there is absolutely -0- indication that she has any romantic feelings for him.  I think she's amused by how he frustrates William, but likes how William has a soft spot for him and takes him under his wing.  I think she regards him more like a golden retriever puppy than anything possibly romantic.

What? where have you seen this?

I love the way he looks at Eliza - he obviously thinks she is just marvelous! But it's just like a puppy dog crush.

And No. Eliza seems to think he is cute and she is not above using his crush to her advantage.

But that is all it is.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 11/27/2022 at 8:30 PM, chaifan said:

OK, I'll admit it... I don't get the Fitzroy/Eliza shipping.  Please, no.  Just, no. 

Thank you.  This is a mystery series.  Isn't it bad enough we have to endure the will they/won't they quality of MS&TD?  Any hint of a romance will kill it.  Can't men and women just be co-workers?

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/29/2022 at 11:18 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Can't men and women just be co-workers?

😂😂Is this your first time watching "the television"?😂😂😂

Of course men and women (or anyone for that matter) can't just be co-workers. They HAVE to be true lovers, or mortal enemies, or long lost siblings, or bestest friends in the whole world. Never just co-workers😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

I'm partnered with Endeavour Morse

Endeavour Morse

Congratulations, your partner is Endeavour Morse! Morse is a very cerebral person and appreciates those who can keep up with him, like you. He may struggle with working with a whole team, but a serious, detail-oriented partner like you would be someone he welcomes with open arms. Morse is someone who prefers to be challenged, whether by a case or academics. You, too, enjoy exercising your brain and learning all that you can across a variety of topics, and you're probably an avid reader, too. You and Morse will get along like two introverted peas in a pod!

• Like 2
On 11/22/2022 at 11:29 AM, sharifa70 said:

Aaaauuuuuuggggghhhh I got Will from Grantchester. We’d kill each other in the first ten minutes. I like his taste in music but that’s it. Anyone wanna trade?

I got Morse. I'd trade for Will, he's easy on the eyes and I like jazz so there's that...And you don't have to converse whilst listening to jazz so...