Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Dye Hard

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Well, that was all suitably OTT for this show.
I suppose it would be nice if the new rookie gives up her superstitions, which I guess are a stand-in for conspiracy theories?

Speaking of which, I'm still not sure Lucy's boyfriend is not a Rosalind acolyte. 

I would prefer for the serial killer plot to get resolved 10 minutes into the next episode, but I'll be relieved if it's over at the end of the episode, but, if they are going to drag it out through the season, puh-lease give it a rest for more than half of the episodes.
It reminds me of that Kevin Bacon show, The Following, which, coincidentally, also featured Shawn Ashmore, as in the Ashmore who plays Wesley on The Rookie

I'll leave it to the more law-informed here to explain how they might have found the kidnap victim sooner, in spite of the "bad search" of the kidnapper's grandma's car. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

So the Golden Ticket saved Officer Nolan two years in achieving his immediate career goal and it came along with a promotion unless those are brevet stripes he is wearing. I guess judging from the dialog here and Officer Chen's cameo on Feds that "Boot"  is seen as pejorative as my/your boot as turned into my/your rookie.

Newly off probation Officer Thorsen now rides with the Sergeant meanwhile Lucy fresh from undercover training rides alone with a plot anti-armor twist to allow her time alone with her phone to look at a downloaded file.

Edited by Raja
  • LOL 3
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Speaking of which, I'm still not sure Lucy's boyfriend is not a Rosalind acolyte. 

I was thinking the same thing. After all Rosalind wants to torment Lucy.
Not that I really care about the whole omnipotent serial killer... it is so used and so boring... 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Well, that was all suitably OTT for this show.
I suppose it would be nice if the new rookie gives up her superstitions, which I guess are a stand-in for conspiracy theories?

He's been suspicious ever since he hummed the song that she sang in the barrel.  Lucy has zero chemistry with him. He seems too young for her, and I thought they gave off sibling vibes in this episode.  

Lucy deserves to get hurt if she keeps putting herself in dangerous situations like she did last night.  I am so sick of her cutesy crap.

Lisette Chavez is a good addition to the show.  I hope she stays around.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

So, did everybody hear me groan out loud when they announced that next week is a Rookie Feds (the show I vowed I would never watch) crossover? 

It’s kind of fun to have a new Rookie with “powers,” even if Nolan did explain them all away logically. 

So it never occurred to dispatch to wonder why they hadn’t heard from Lucy for over two hours? Good thing Tim noticed, no surprise there. 

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

I'm liking the new Rookie as well, even if she's coming off as a bit out there. She really did screw up with looking in the car (on her first day!) but I liked how Nolan eventually figured out how to work with her (hopefully) and gave her good advice on how to maybe not screw up like that again

27 minutes ago, Msample said:

FML its not even a month in and we’re already being subjected to a ROOKIE FEDS crossover episode .

At least it holds the promise of getting rid of this serial killer arc once and for all.

2 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

So, did everybody hear me groan out loud when they announced that next week is a Rookie Feds (the show I vowed I would never watch) crossover? 

It’s kind of fun to have a new Rookie with “powers,” even if Nolan did explain them all away logically. 

So it never occurred to dispatch to wonder why they hadn’t heard from Lucy for over two hours? Good thing Tim noticed, no surprise there. 

The question is the radioman's job or the supervisor's job to know where his folks are?

As far as the powers the boot still has to learn team work as she seemingly forgot all she learned about due process procedures as if the police academy is all wrestling and shooting,

• Love 1

I did like Nolan's explanation of her "powers" as really her being hyper-observant and intuitive.  If she continues with the woo-woo though.....hmmm.  People can believe what they want to believe, sure.  It's OK if they just sprinkle it here and there as odd little mentions like "Oh, the crystal hanging from the rear view mirror is used to protect infants and babies.  But there's no car seat in the car, and this dude sure ain't a doting grandpa and is acting all squirrely.  Something is really off here."  But if they have her going on and on about such things, then #1 that's going to get old really fast, and #2 in real life a good defense attorney could use that to eat away at her credibility with a jury so her superiors would shut that talk down right fast.

Lucy's boyfriend is totally sketchy.  My prediction: the dramatic revelation of him being a Rosalind acolyte will drive her right into Tim's arms.

The B-plot with Bradford helping out Aaron with his catfish/blackmail problem was amusing--especially the part about Tim delightedly keeping the gaming console.  I think we knew he liked video games, right?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Nyla Rambo Harper has already returned to work after one month?

Lisseth Chavez is a great addition to The Rookie. She was undervalued in Chicago PD, a disposable character that no one talk about. Looking forward to more Nolan/Celina scenes.

Rosalind’s puppet or not, Chris needs to be killed off in next episode. What a dull character. Maybe Rosalind can do a fan service by eliminating Bailey too.

Not looking forward to crossover episode. Ugh! 😣

Amazing shot from 5x03! 💪🏻🔥

C8463CBC-E7C8-4E15-BDB5-27C9BB0648BE.jpeg

• Like 1

Chen gets locked in a metal box so she can't send a message calling for help because she has no connectivity.

So, she wiles away the time surfing... the... net...

I don't want any more of the new rookie. She will be hanging crystals in the Shop, next.

Please let Rosalind get her arse shot off soon. The very idea of her showing up the cops episode after episode makes me tired!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Nyla Rambo Harper has already returned to work after one month?

Well she gave birth without a sound not unlike how Catholic doctrine says the Virgin Mary did.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Yeah....I wasn't feeling the new character very much.  I think maybe that's why, she had such bad dialogue.  Plus....a person really can't get to that stage in life with those woo-woo beliefs--especially through the police academy--and realize they are not mainstream, and that police work is allllll about mainstream.  Maybe if they spent a little bit more time on her history, on how the psychic helped her family, and then she found that psychics sometimes work with police, that would provide an explanation why she suddenly felt it was OK to let her freak flag fly. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Yeah....I wasn't feeling the new character very much.  I think maybe that's why, she had such bad dialogue.  Plus....a person really can't get to that stage in life with those woo-woo beliefs--especially through the police academy--and realize they are not mainstream, and that police work is allllll about mainstream.  Maybe if they spent a little bit more time on her history, on how the psychic helped her family, and then she found that psychics sometimes work with police, that would provide an explanation why she suddenly felt it was OK to let her freak flag fly. 

I'm willing to bet her "psychic prowess" will be instrumental in bringing down Rosalind.

Edited by preeya
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, preeya said:

I'm willing to bet her "psychic prowess" will be instrumental in bringing down Rosalind.

Whatever it takes to end the Rosalind arc ASAP is fine with me. 
Maybe Rosalind can choke on a fortune cookie.
Or Nolan buys a Magic 8 ball as some sort of bonding tool with his Rookie, and instead winds up beaning Rosalind with it, knocking her over the edge of Half Dome at Yosemite.
But I insist we get confirmation that Rosalind is really, really dead. Like: Her head is in one place and her body is in another. 

11 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I don't want any more of the new rookie. She will be hanging crystals in the Shop, next.

Hee! 🔮

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, preeya said:

I bet that in the crossover they get an assist from the league of extraordinary guidance counselors.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Whatever it takes to end the Rosalind arc ASAP is fine with me. 

Aaaaaaaa-men!

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

I bet that in the crossover they get an assist from the league of extraordinary guidance counselors

gag!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Chen gets locked in a metal box so she can't send a message calling for help because she has no connectivity.

So, she wiles away the time surfing... the... net...

She was reading a file. It's possible that she'd already downloaded it to her phone

• Applause 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I never watch crossover shows - that is, I will watch the episode of the show I watch, but unless I also watch the crossover show (which so far has been never), I just don't watch it. I like Niecy in small doses - she was great as a therapist in "Never Have I Ever", but she is too much, and it is too much of a suspension of disbelief to believe the Feds would hire her in the first place.

I really liked Nolan's explanation - I think it's a valid one in real life as well. I'm not a woo woo person, but there have been times I hated or was cautious about someone from the get-go and was proved right in the end.

That being said, why didn't Nolan see the blood on the bumper - it was pretty clear and then it would have been a good stop.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That being said, why didn't Nolan see the blood on the bumper - it was pretty clear and then it would have been a good stop.

Nolan did eventually see the blood, but not until after the “bad” stop. 
But I guess it couldn’t have been believably written up that his boot saw the blood drops on a passing bumper? 🤷🏻‍♀️ 
Maybe her body cam had already recorded her saying that the car should be stopped for “dark energy”? 
Hopefully she will henceforth instead say out loud “I saw something” instead of “I saw dark energy,” but is “something” good enough for “probable cause”? 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Nolan did eventually see the blood, but not until after the “bad” stop. 
But I guess it couldn’t have been believably written up that his boot saw the blood drops on a passing bumper? 🤷🏻‍♀️ 
Maybe her body cam had already recorded her saying that the car should be stopped for “dark energy”? 
Hopefully she will henceforth instead say out loud “I saw something” instead of “I saw dark energy,” but is “something” good enough for “probable cause”? 🤷🏻‍♀️

True, but it was a light color car and those drops were pretty bright. Since it seems like she probably saw them (but it didn't register as anything but "dark energy" to her), Nolan could have. Of course, his eyes may not be as sharp as his younger days 😄

• Wink 1
On 10/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, Raja said:

The question is the radioman's job or the supervisor's job to know where his folks are?

It is absolutely the dispatcher's responsibility to know where all of her officers are at all times. Even though Lucy told dispatch that she was ok, the dispatcher should have checked on her again in a few minutes, since she never cleared the scene. It would have been a huge deal that the supervisor was the one to notice that she hadn't been on the radio for 2 hours.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, LaylaGirl said:

It is absolutely the dispatcher's responsibility to know where all of her officers are at all times. Even though Lucy told dispatch that she was ok, the dispatcher should have checked on her again in a few minutes, since she never cleared the scene. It would have been a huge deal that the supervisor was the one to notice that she hadn't been on the radio for 2 hours.

When Tim asks the dispatcher exactly how long it’s been since Lucy checked in, and the dispatcher admits it’s been over 2 hours, Tim says “we’ll talk about that later,” which signals the audience that the dispatcher failed to check on Lucy as required. 
IRL, this would have been a mistake or oversight, but on TV, this implies the dispatcher is a Rosalind plant, right?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When Tim asks the dispatcher exactly how long it’s been since Lucy checked in, and the dispatcher admits it’s been over 2 hours, Tim says “we’ll talk about that later,” which signals the audience that the dispatcher failed to check on Lucy as required. 
IRL, this would have been a mistake or oversight, but on TV, this implies the dispatcher is a Rosalind plant, right?

I try not to think of Rosalind, so I don't want to think that the dispatcher is a plant. There are more than enough suspects for that.

• Sad 2

I really enjoyed the return of a funny throw away scene at the beginning of the episode. I miss those and it was a part of the show that helped set it apart.

i hope that they don't start a psychic link/aid/whatever as a regular part of each episode.

I felt that the "you're a rookie again" line was used a bit too much. Kind of like they are pushing it down our throats that the title of the show is still applicable. We get it. he's not a rookie, but yet still a rookie. sure....

16 hours ago, zapper said:

I really enjoyed the return of a funny throw away scene at the beginning of the episode. I miss those and it was a part of the show that helped set it apart.

i hope that they don't start a psychic link/aid/whatever as a regular part of each episode.

I felt that the "you're a rookie again" line was used a bit too much. Kind of like they are pushing it down our throats that the title of the show is still applicable. We get it. he's not a rookie, but yet still a rookie. sure....

Yeah, it may be a little heavy handed with that. I never worry about the title, as I watched the show "The Rookies" in the early 70s, and it lasted four seasons, which this one is topping. I don't think it's unusual for a show to outlive it's title (though I can't remember one off the top of my head - just some that have gone on WAY too long).

• Like 1
On 10/16/2022 at 9:40 AM, Clanstarling said:

I don't think it's unusual for a show to outlive it's title (though I can't remember one off the top of my head 

McCleod's Daughters: They had to keep creating new surprise daughters then cousins to keep the title relevant when both the original daughters left the show.

• Thanks 1
On 10/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, nittany cougar said:

He's been suspicious ever since he hummed the song that she sang in the barrel.  Lucy has zero chemistry with him.

I always thought he seemed suspicious.  Rosalind confirmed my suspicions when she slit his wrists...I thought her MO was slitting her victim's throats.  Lucy has zero chemistry with everyone.  She literally has the personality of a rock!

I like the new rookie, and I'm glad Nolan had a plausible explanation about her "gift".  Since this is TV, once she completes her training, the dept should offer/create a consulting position where her sensitivities and intuition would be more helpful in solving more extreme cases.  

Was there no Bailey again this week?  I think it's been 2 entire episodes without a unicorn sighting!

• Love 1
On 10/15/2022 at 6:53 PM, zapper said:

Me too.  But in this world today, believing in auras, dark energy, 'powers',crystals, etc. would appear to be so much more accepting and 'cooler' .  Imagine if the new partner was a born again Christian who wanted to stop that car because she heard from the Lord or received a prophetic message in a dream?  She'd probably get the "here goes the Bible thumping Jesus freak again" eye roll.  But using the demonic practice of using psychics to contact dead spirits and see visions (like the one who helped find her sister) would most likely get a quiet pass

7 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Was there no Bailey again this week?  I think it's been 2 entire episodes without a unicorn sighting!

She's been busy running a prostitution ring masquerading as a pole dancing studio over on Lifetime

On 10/10/2022 at 9:20 AM, Raja said:

meanwhile Lucy fresh from undercover training rides alone with a plot anti-armor twist to allow her time alone with her phone to look at a downloaded file.

I really had hoped sending her to undercover school would've injected some brains into her.  Nope - still an idiot!  I can't believe she walked into that abandoned building by herself without her weapon drawn and gets herself locked in what looked like an old freezer.  Was expecting her to have 'Rosalyn' flashbacks from when she was buried in that drum in the sand, but noooooo, Lucy seems to only have selective anxiety flashbacks regarding that.  But maybe because she had 'Wilson'.....er.....a happy, smiley face painted on the inside of the door to talk to and calm her down.

On 10/13/2022 at 6:56 AM, shapeshifter said:

When Tim asks the dispatcher exactly how long it’s been since Lucy checked in, and the dispatcher admits it’s been over 2 hours, Tim says “we’ll talk about that later

So.....out of all the officers out on the street, Tim just only happens to ask how long it's been since Lucy's been heard from?  That was utterly random

7 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Lucy has zero chemistry with everyone.  She literally has the personality of a rock!

She's literally a vocal-fryed tween in the body of an adult.  I often forget that she and Nolan were a thing right in the beginning.  I really wish they'd replace her.  I loathe her whiny, neediness for acceptance and affirmation to the max

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

She's literally a vocal-fryed tween in the body of an adult.  I often forget that she and Nolan were a thing right in the beginning.  I really wish they'd replace her.  I loathe her whiny, neediness for acceptance and affirmation to the max

It makes me sad that they write for her this way, and direct her to be this way. She can totally play a badass with great instincts (watch Dark Matter to see this). I was glad to see she was a cast member, originally, since I thought she'd be great as a cop.

I wouldn't be surprised if the undercover cop thing is because she wanted to use some other chops. Because it's hard to believe that the fictional powers that be would see her as a good candidate for that kind of job.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the undercover cop thing is because she wanted to use some other chops.

Yes, the undercover cop actor gets to play a different role within a role.
I'm glad the writers and other show TPTB recognized that Melissa O'Neil (Lucy Chen) could handle that. 
Ooo. I wonder if they'll have her go undercover as a backup singer at some criminal enterprise club?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, the undercover cop actor gets to play a different role within a role.
I'm glad the writers and other show TPTB recognized that Melissa O'Neil (Lucy Chen) could handle that. 
Ooo. I wonder if they'll have her go undercover as a backup singer at some criminal enterprise club?

She's a singer?

On 10/10/2022 at 7:00 PM, Brian Cronin said:

I think the new actor is good, but boy, they sure gave her character some duds, line-wise. "Why is it wrong to pull people over because of feelings?" Like....HUH?!

Seriously, this is an issue that literally EVERYONE is aware of nowadays, let alone a young Latina who chose to make her living in law enforcement. I find it impossible to believe that she hadn't by now heard concerns and comments about it from a zillion friends and family, much less the news and overall world around her.

I hope the actress is able to get a better grip on this show than the last time she played a cop, a couple seasons ago on Chicago PD. She was supposedly working with the main characters, yet never had any real storyline or character development. No wonder she left, poor woman.

On 10/15/2022 at 6:53 PM, zapper said:

IMO it's not that it can't be interesting, just that it's been DONE already, by a number of different shows. 

• Like 1