Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Quarterfinal #3: Constance Wu, Ike Barinholtz and Jalen Rose

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am ten minutes in, and Constance Wu is driving me nuts with the constant chatter.

After last week's bunch, I can't complain about anything so far tonight.

I like Constance, even though I've never seen anything she's in (other than the occasional episode of Fresh Off the Boat). She's been on Seth Meyers and The Daily Show in the last week or two promoting her book.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I am ten minutes in, and Constance Wu is driving me nuts with the constant chatter.

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

After last week's bunch, I can't complain about anything so far tonight.

I like Constance, even though I've never seen anything she's in (other than the occasional episode of Fresh Off the Boat). She's been on Seth Meyers and The Daily Show in the last week or two promoting her book.

Only through Single Jeopardy! but this is heads and tails shoulders above last week’s. I can deal with a little chatter so I’m good so far. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
correcting my mixed bodily metaphor
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I would like to think I got all of my ranting out on last week's thread, but the night's still young. 

ETA: I like Mayim's outfit and hair, and appreciate that she tried valiantly to rein in the DD giggles.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

So apparently just answering Caesar is good enough in Celebrity Jeopardy?

Since it's for charity, I'm okay with them being a little looser on that kind of thing. (Similar thoughts on the response of "Pabst" without "Blue Ribbon" when the category name referred to blue; it wasn't in quotes but normally if the clue doesn't mention the color, it seems to imply that the response should.)

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I like Constance Wu, but she was a lot in the early stages. I think it was just nervous energy, though, and fear of looking stupid. Because once she figured out her buzzer and was able to ring in and play, she settled down. I also give her props for the big wagers. I never understand why some bet so conservatively, especially when they’re far behind. The show is giving the charity the same 2nd place prize regardless, so why not go for it?

This was a particularly easy game for me. I didn’t keep track, but I’m sure I missed no more than three of the questions.  I want to be a celebrity, so I can be revered for my intellect. 😁

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4

I wish all the celebrities who made semifinals were like Ike B. I’m not looking forward to seeing Iliza S. and Simu Liu back playing. Iliza had too much nervous energy and Simu played pretty badly in his game and only won because of FJ.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks to my cable listings showing who was going to be in next week's semifinals, I went into this knowing Ike was going to win. It's a shame, because once Constance became a functional player in Triple J!, there might have actually been some suspense available in Final had I not known.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

I thought Ike looked a little embarrassed at getting all the questions, at least until Constance got going.

Poor Jalen...he started pretty well and then just faded out.

I am looking forward to the semi-final game next week. I'll be rooting for Simu but, whichever of them wins, it's all good.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind seeing Constance Wu in a Celebrity Second Chance Tournament.
Actually, since it's for charity, I think any of the celebs should be allowed to re-appear if it works well for production, with no special "Second Chance Tournament" required.
For example, I imagine if Jalen was willing to come back, he'd feel he could do better, or else he wouldn't do it.
But I have no idea whether there is a long list of celebrities waiting to appear on the show, or if they have trouble getting them to appear.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, lambertman said:

Thanks to my cable listings showing who was going to be in next week's semifinals, I went into this knowing Ike was going to win. It's a shame, because once Constance became a functional player in Triple J!, there might have actually been some suspense available in Final had I not known.

I saw that too, in my cable listings. But on the plus side, Aisha Tyler is going to be a player the week after next. She seems smart, so that'll be good, hopefully.

4 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought Ike looked a little embarrassed at getting all the questions, at least until Constance got going.

And I wouldn’t bet against him having let a couple of questions go so that the other players had a chance to answer once he was so far ahead.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Actually, since it's for charity, I think any of the celebs should be allowed to re-appear if it works well for production, with no special "Second Chance Tournament" required.

I don't see why they wouldn't be; on the celebrity tournaments of the regular series, numerous celebrities have competed more than once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I feel like not that long ago in the regular game they accepted Caesar as an answer. My irritation in this game felt worn out, as in, I've already been upset at this. But I'm not up to checking now.

I did like Constance's big wagers, and that she pulled them off. I couldn't exactly figure out what she wrote for FJ though. I was rooting for her by the end.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I did like Constance's big wagers, and that she pulled them off. I couldn't exactly figure out what she wrote for FJ though. I was rooting for her by the end.

She started to write Titanic but according to the archive she only wrote Titan (though I thought it was just Tita). 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I did like Constance's big wagers, and that she pulled them off.

Yes. Constance Wu’s big True Daily Doubles saved the show for me. 👏🏻

36 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

couldn't exactly figure out what she wrote for FJ

15 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

She started to write Titanic but according to the archive she only wrote Titan (though I thought it was just Tita). 

Wu’s FJ was bleeped and blurred out, which I will Google-Fu to discover if no one posts it here first.  
My guess is “Tit Tanic,” although I’ve never heard that——perhaps because I was librarian in an all-girls, Catholic, college-prep high school when they were swooning over the movie Titanic.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Wu’s FJ was bleeped and blurred out, which I will Google-Fu to discover if no one posts it here first.  

image.png.4f394f341c54b151cdada4063f353195.png

"In response, Wu guessed “What is the tit,” earning herself a swift censoring from broadcaster ABC, who bleeped out her answer as Bialik struggled to keep from laughing, telling the Hustlers star, “‘What is the tit’ is not correct.”"

https://decider.com/2022/10/10/constance-wu-celebrity-jeopardy-nsfw-answer/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

image.png.4f394f341c54b151cdada4063f353195.png

"In response, Wu guessed “What is the tit,” earning herself a swift censoring from broadcaster ABC, who bleeped out her answer as Bialik struggled to keep from laughing, telling the Hustlers star, “‘What is the tit’ is not correct.”"

https://decider.com/2022/10/10/constance-wu-celebrity-jeopardy-nsfw-answer/

Yes, clearly she was going for Titanic but ran out of time. Knowing she only had a few legible letters, she tried to turn it into a joke by claiming “the Tit” is an accepted nickname for the Titanic. Because the censors do not care about Constance’s attempts at humor, only our vulnerable virgin ears, they bleeped it out. (But really, “tit”? Is that really a problem nowadays, when pretty much everything gets through except “fuck”?)

Maybe that contestant on regular Jeopardy should have insisted that, back in the day, Harriet Tubman was commonly known as “The Tub”.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Saw that this is on Hulu. I don't watch TV - as in the old style TV - so I haven't watched Jeopardy is a long time. I can't stand Mayim Bialik. Heard a podcast with her, she is a racist imperialist and ugh! I also find it funny that I never heard of any of these contestants, so "celebrity" is a stretch for me. But I like to play so it is a thing to watch. Hulu doesn't keep the previous episodes though.

• Love 1
On 10/9/2022 at 5:59 PM, LexieLily said:

Ike came to play but Constance and Jalen especially were crappy players. 

I felt sorry for both of them, but toward the end, only for Jalen. It sucks to do something like this and totally tank.

On 10/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, dgpolo said:

Apparently...I guess I should shrug it off - because I managed to run more categories than I ever have, so it was fun.

I didn't know who Jalen was - but my basketball aficionado husband did. But I did know the other two - they pick celebrities from all sorts of fields, so it's not unusual that I don't know who one or two of them are.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Apparently...I guess I should shrug it off - because I managed to run more categories than I ever have, so it was fun.

I didn't know who Jalen was - but my basketball aficionado husband did. But I did know the other two - they pick celebrities from all sorts of fields, so it's not unusual that I don't know who one or two of them are.

Just seem to me like answering King is ok for a British Monarch or Czar for Russian.

How do they seed the field for CJ? Do they do any practice tests? should they seed people like Richter and Ike (already forgot his last name) together or sprinkle them throughout? What's the biggest TS count for a CJ if all three fare poorly?

2 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Just seem to me like answering King is ok for a British Monarch or Czar for Russian.

How do they seed the field for CJ? Do they do any practice tests? should they seed people like Richter and Ike (already forgot his last name) together or sprinkle them throughout? What's the biggest TS count for a CJ if all three fare poorly?

There are many Kings and Tsars, as well as Caesars, just like Presidents. That's why a further identifier is necessary (King Charles III is a very different person than King Henry VIII, for example, or even Charles II).  But the rules are more lax in Celebrity Jeopardy, so though it bothers me, I shrug it off.

I tuned in Sunday night just in time for the third round, in which Jalen had two dumb wrong responses and no correct ones, and just had a chance to watch the whole thing, in which he wasn't much better, but at least was funny.  I liked his "Even I knew that" when Ike beat him to the buzzer on the WNBA clue, and laughed out loud at his reaction to saying New England instead of Connecticut.  Hanging his head and admitting "I lived there for years" was great.  But he did not have a good game; Constance got beat on the buzzer a lot (Ike's click pen practicing paid off), but I quickly started watching Jalen's buzzer hand in the wide shot and he just didn't seem to know much of anything that was asked.

I liked him in the post-game chatter, when he said "Two of the times I answered a word that was in the question!"  Poor guy; I hope he's not terribly embarrassed by this, and at least he still picked up a nice check for his charity.

Once when Ike said Mayim's name, I thought he said "Ma'am" and was taken aback by the formality for a moment before my brain caught up.

Constance correcting her "Damn it" to "Darn it -- gosh, darn it" was funny.  As was "Some people call Titanic The Tit, this is a well-known fact."  And I liked the guys coming over to give her a respect fist bump when she went for it all and got it on the last DD.

I was rooting for Constance, as I admire the way she has stood up for herself, have no idea who Ike is, and don't know anything about Jalen (I almost never watch NBA games), but I liked all their charities, so as I usual I just sat back and enjoyed getting most of the clues correct.  I even managed to get all but one on the science fiction category, and that was the only thing I missed in the first round.  I got all but two (both in stars, another iffy category for me) in the second, and all but one in the third.  And FJ was one of my most instant of instagets.

This tournament has been fun this far, and I'm really looking forward to Aisha Tyler next game (and Hasan Minhaj the next).

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

There are many Kings and Tsars, as well as Caesars, just like Presidents. That's why a further identifier is necessary (King Charles III is a very different person than King Henry VIII, for example, or even Charles II).  But the rules are more lax in Celebrity Jeopardy, so though it bothers me, I shrug it off.

I feel like they use “general population” rules for CJ. As in, would the general population think it’s correct? Most people, when you say “Caesar”, jump straight to Julius. If you ask, “What about Augustus?” some would say, “Oh… yeah,” while many others would say “Who?” Forget about Tiberius, Claudius, or the others.

Nope, to most people Caesar=Julius Caesar. So on Celebrity Jeopardy, he’s the only Caesar who counts. (And the only one they’ll ask about.)

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 4

I liked Ike (although, as usual, I had never heard of him), liked the way he played and the way he took the game seriously, but when Mayim cited a stat about how many right answers he got, I had to roll my eyes.  The clues and questions weren't challenging enough for a Kids' Tournament, so getting kudos for 50 (or whatever the number was) right was like receiving a participation medal at a pie-eating contest.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I liked Ike (although, as usual, I had never heard of him), liked the way he played and the way he took the game seriously, but when Mayim cited a stat about how many right answers he got, I had to roll my eyes. 

Ike's a longtime (if not lifelong) fan, and certainly knows the change in difficulty of the clues, I'm sure he was rolling his eyes as well.

• Like 2
On 10/10/2022 at 1:38 AM, 30 Helens said:

This was a particularly easy game for me. I didn’t keep track, but I’m sure I missed no more than three of the questions.  I want to be a celebrity, so I can be revered for my intellect. 😁

While I have no doubt that you have a towering intellect, it would be almost impossible for your average non-idiot adult to miss many of these questions.  Apologies to Jalen Rose, but the Final Jeopardy clue could not have been easier unless they actually mentioned it was 1912, in the Atlantic Ocean, on an 'unsinkable' ship on its maiden voyage, and the first six letters are Titani.

And there will be no convincing me that Constance Wu was not fed the Daily Double answer in the dying seconds, once it appeared she was not going to know the answer to the second-easiest clue of the night.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

And there will be no convincing me that Constance Wu was not fed the Daily Double answer in the dying seconds, once it appeared she was not going to know the answer to the second-easiest clue of the night.

Because the producers want the show shut down, massive fines, and possibly criminal sanctions for cheating on a broadcast game show. That makes sense.

Or, it just came to her late, as has happened to literally hundreds of contestants with thousands of answers.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3