Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion II: Discussing Today's Episode and Current Storylines

• Start Topic

I don't take it that way. It comes off to me like Sarah is just doing this because she wants to prove further that the baby is Rex's and not Xander's. It makes her look bad still but for different reasons.

I love Xander and Chloe together so much. Sigh.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Sarah is really unlikable, can the baby stay and she goes back to Rex?  Sarah acts like a saint of perfection that can't forgive Xander yet she's doing this. 

Why is Melinda on everyday?  She hates EJ so much for getting away with his crimes. What about Gwen, Xander, Kristen, Talia.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Maggie pissed me off today. First by downplaying everything Xander has done while being a horse’s ass about Rex, and second by saying Victor was the love of her life. No, that was Mickey. And the love of Victor’s life was Caroline. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Sarah is really unlikable, can the baby stay and she goes back to Rex?  Sarah acts like a saint of perfection that can't forgive Xander yet she's doing this. 

Why is Melinda on everyday?  She hates EJ so much for getting away with his crimes. What about Gwen, Xander, Kristen, Talia.  

How is Sarah acting like a saint of perfection? This isn’t Sarah and Xander’s first time at the “he lies horribly to her face” dance. She already forgave him for lying to her about her DEAD BABY! When is it okay for Sarah to decide that enough is enough and she doesn’t want to deal with Xander’s lies anymore? It’s really telling to me how I see so many comments about how unlikeable Sarah is for trying to protect her baby from a criminal while said criminal mostly gets a pass because he’s “charming.”

I think creating a list of the people Melinda DOESN’T dislike strongly would be far shorter than of those she likes or gives a pass to. Given that Kristen killed her daughter she’s expressed hatred for her. I’m also pretty sure she’s not a fan of Xander or Gwen either. EJ is not the only character she’s expressed a dislike for. And Talia’s crimes in no way compare to EJ’s. She drugged some baked goods while EJ’s a RAPIST. Talia also didn’t get away with her crime. Just because she didn’t go to prison doesn’t mean she got away scot-free, unlike EJ who only went to prison once for the rare crime he didn’t commit.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, SouthernChick said:

Maggie pissed me off today. First by downplaying everything Xander has done while being a horse’s ass about Rex, and second by saying Victor was the love of her life. No, that was Mickey. And the love of Victor’s life was Caroline. 

Sooooo much this!  And Maggie likes to harp about Rex cheating on Sarah, but didn’t Xander do the same?  Didn’t he try to get away with sexing Gwen by claiming he was merely changing his clothes or something?

31 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

How is Sarah acting like a saint of perfection? This isn’t Sarah and Xander’s first time at the “he lies horribly to her face” dance. She already forgave him for lying to her about her DEAD BABY! When is it okay for Sarah to decide that enough is enough and she doesn’t want to deal with Xander’s lies anymore? It’s really telling to me how I see so many comments about how unlikeable Sarah is for trying to protect her baby from a criminal while said criminal mostly gets a pass because he’s “charming.”

PREACH!!!  The only part of their conversation that somewhat made me see Maggie’s side in this is IF Maggie had made a point that Sarah should benefit from Maggie’s experience when Maggie lied about Sarah’s true parentage.  I’m not totally clear on what happened, but didn’t Maggie lie about who fathered Sarah and the blowup that occurred when the truth was revealed?  Instead of being rah rah rah Xander and boo hiss Rex, Maggie should have leaned into her own personal history about false fatherhood in order to sway Sarah.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Why all the Susan Banks stuff? Midge looks like her? Harris, you are a patient at Bayview and you should not be offering mental health advice.

Sloan, a.lot of women miscarry. It is just one of those things. It does hurt for a while and then you try again. Kayla told you your autoimmune disorder is treatable. You should not listen to Melinda. Granted, this is Salem and Nicole’s baby’s parentage will come out. Sloan was probably just over two months along and waaay too soon for a baby shower.

Xander, you made haggis? Chloe was right about the baby. I’f Sarah could lie about one thing, why not more. Sarah, you are a grown woman. You do not have to marry Xander or Rex. You can raise the baby alone until one of them is the right man or you meet someone else. Maggie could have told her about Victor being Bo’s father and that did not come out for years.

Hello Rex and Philip.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Sooooo much this!  And Maggie likes to harp about Rex cheating on Sarah, but didn’t Xander do the same?  Didn’t he try to get away with sexing Gwen by claiming he was merely changing his clothes or something?

No, he really was changing his clothes. Gwen had thrown him in the shower to sober him up. Sarah came by to potentially forgive him at Bonnie's urging and assumed that they had had sex. They didn't until Sarah said she wanted a divorce 

And I love Xander to bits but Sarah was 100% correct with everything she said today. On the other hand marrying Rex as a beard is dumb

• Like 6
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, norcalgal said:

PREACH!!!  The only part of their conversation that somewhat made me see Maggie’s side in this is IF Maggie had made a point that Sarah should benefit from Maggie’s experience when Maggie lied about Sarah’s true parentage.  I’m not totally clear on what happened, but didn’t Maggie lie about who fathered Sarah and the blowup that occurred when the truth was revealed?  Instead of being rah rah rah Xander and boo hiss Rex, Maggie should have leaned into her own personal history about false fatherhood in order to sway Sarah.  

Mickey was sterile (which he didn't know until Mike's parentage was revealed as he thought Mike was his son for years and Tom/Bill kept it from him) so he and Maggie went to a sperm donor. I don't think Maggie knew at the time it happened it was Neil that was revealed later and then she ended up having an affair with him which Sarah walked in on and that's why she left town and was gone for years until a few years ago.  However Sarah was raised as Mickey's child and thought he was her father until then. 

I have no issue with Sarah having boundaries with Xander as long as she sticks with them. I would've been fine if she never forgave him for Mackenzie (and in retrospect that's how they should've ended). 

However Maggie loses me when she says that Rex is worse than Xander and he's not in the least(and I'm not a huge Rex fan either but his flaws aren't as sociopathic as the others on this show)

• Like 6
  • Love 2

For me, the Sarah hate is because of her baby voice and her overall immaturity. I remember when she was supposed to be on call in the ER, but instead she was in Marlena's office, asking her boyfriend's (or soon to be bf) MOTHER some stupid junior high level questions about if he likes her or not.

I never liked her with Xander because she acts as if she is too good for him, and just like Nicole and Eric, Xander (and Nicole) will spend their lives trying to be something they aren't to gain approval of someone who never will accept them as they are. EJ seems to love Nicole and he knows who she is. Chloe is the same about Xander.

Just had a Gone with the Wind moment - I can see Nicole finally realizing that Eric (Ashley Wilkes, who Scarlett has been in love with forever) was only a dream and she is letting the man she truly loves (Rhett/EJ) walk away because he finally "doesn't give a damn."

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Thanks all for the correction wrt what happened between Gwen and Xander (but why the heck Xander would have anything to do with Gwen given what she did to Sarah…🤬),  and for the details on Sarah’s parentage.

5 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Just had a Gone with the Wind moment - I can see Nicole finally realizing that Eric (Ashley Wilkes, who Scarlett has been in love with forever) was only a dream and she is letting the man she truly loves (Rhett/EJ) walk away because he finally "doesn't give a damn."

I would love this to happen!  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I finished watching this week’s shows and thought it was a mixed bag.

I really enjoyed Susan Rogers’ anniversary ep, especially the conversation between Maggie and Julie.

But I hated yesterday’s episode SO MUCH. I hate that Sloan, Sarah and Nicole’s lives revolve around their reproductive organs and how Maggie dismissed the good reasons Sarah has for not wanting to be with Xander.

Paul Telfer is everything, but his character borders on psychopath and he is a man who’ll go to great lengths to hurt others when he feels threaten. Not wanting a man like that around your child is not a flight of fancy and Maggie should understand this above the ridiculous “but he loooves you” schtick.

And just when I start to see Melinda as something other than a mean caricature, they make her so desperate to keep her job she’ll do anything including hurting the only friend she may have and her new lover. Yuck.

I also skip the Leo/Dmitri/Gwen scenes because I can’t get over the stupidity of the storyline. I like Dmitri though so it’s a shame.

I do like the temporary Eric and wish he would take over the role because it was easier for me to feel for him. His scenes with Nicole were lovely.

I’m also glad that some storylines moving along, I just don’t know how much I will enjoy them.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Desperado said:

I do like the temporary Eric and wish he would take over the role because it was easier for me to feel for him. His scenes with Nicole were lovely.

He's likeable because he has an expression other than scowling.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1

I actually really liked JPL as Philip this go-round. Maybe it's because JKJ did such a confounding and at times terrible job as Philip during his last stint. However, JPL seemed more mature - I always thought he brought a childishness to his characters - and he had a more rugged look. It made him feel more adult, and it also matched what I remember JKJ looking like in his last stint. I also didn't notice the odd acting tics he used to have.

I thought he and NB/Chloe worked well together. I also liked the cliffhanger with him and Brady.

I wasn't too interested in anything else.

• Like 6

Shawn is less convincing as a drunk than Marlena is as a therapist.  And that's a low, low bar.

Now, if Belle was convinced that he was doing self-harm by drinking too many juice boxes, that I might buy.

2 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I actually really liked JPL as Philip this go-round. Maybe it's because JKJ did such a confounding and at times terrible job as Philip during his last stint. However, JPL seemed more mature - I always thought he brought a childishness to his characters - and he had a more rugged look. It made him feel more adult, and it also matched what I remember JKJ looking like in his last stint. I also didn't notice the odd acting tics he used to have.

I thought he and NB/Chloe worked well together. I also liked the cliffhanger with him and Brady.

I wasn't too interested in anything else.

I agree about JPL, much to my surprise.  He was beyond tiresome on OLTL and I didn't think his stint as Philip was much of an improvement, but today he wasn't bad at all.

Another day, another yutz heard from.  Kayla tells Marlena that Sloan lost the baby and the first words out of RoboMar's mouth are "How much does HE have to go through?"  SLOAN is the one who had the miscarriage.  We didn't see his feet in stirrups.  Though, I'm hoping against hope that someday we do.

I really hope that if he ever does become a father, he also gets to have an episiotomy, too.  Hell, make it 12.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Sarah the doctor is more immature than Xander she claims to not be good enough to raise his baby. 

How many people are engaged lately? 

Sarah and Rex, Xander and Chloe, EJ and Nicole , Eric and Sloan? 

Rex is going to make his parents think Sarah is having his baby. Lying right to them.  Then have the nerve to as Xander what he's doing there and calling him a jerk when he's stealing his baby. 

Good on Chloe for pointing out to Phillip about the pouring the alcohol down Brady's throat. 

Days wants to throw out suicide thoughts for Shawn? They can't pull this off they should not even attempt anything like this. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, boes said:

I agree about JPL, much to my surprise.  He was beyond tiresome on OLTL and I didn't think his stint as Philip was much of an improvement, but today he wasn't bad at all.

I liked him too.    I've been watching old OLTL episodes and I don't mind him as Rex.   The person that drives me crazy is Scott Clifton as Skylar.   He's like Rex on speed.   He just went to prison and I was thrilled to see the back of him.  

I read an article JPL did recently where he said that he was suprised to be asked back since they got rid of him before.  He was originally only going to do a few episodes, but they kept extending them-- think it ended up being around 13 shows.   So, the powers that be must have been pleased with him. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, mariah23 said:

Someone put week’s episode on YouTube.  No spoilers but it’s wild seeing three people who have a combined age of over 270 on screen.

I was able to watch the episode (next Monday's) before it was pulled.  I knew immediately that something was wrong since the synopsis of the show didn't match what was on my screen.     That age combination is wild!   I guess the reveal at the end was supposed to surprising.   Actually, I've been expecting it for some time.

• Like 1

Sarah, you are a grown ass woman. Xander Cook is your ex husband and the bio dad of your baby. He does have parental rights. You may not think he is a good enough parent but maybe things will change when he learns the truth. You can marry any man you wish.

Hi Philip. You have some explaining to do. Nice of Brady to drop by.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Artsda said:

Days wants to throw out suicide thoughts for Shawn? They can't pull this off they should not even attempt anything like this. 

They do NOT need to be attempting any sort of serious, real-life story.  Sorry, but these writers are not proficient enough to handle this.  But who knows, maybe I'll be proved wrong.  

• Like 5

I watched both Monday episodes yesterday (in the right order at least). 

Thoughts on the correct one:

I like this Phillip way better than the other one. I missed his first tenure in the role.

Sarah just needs to tell Xander. What is Rex planning? To lie to his parents forever about this baby? I did enjoy Rex and Xander's fake congratulations to each other, but where does Rex get off calling Xander a jerk when he is stealing the man's child?

Marlena's lack of empathy for Sloan is disgusting. Kate at least seemed to think about the actual person who lost the baby. I liked Kayla actually giving Xander some sympathy for the loss of Victor, that was unusually sensitive of her lol

Belle needs to have Shawn sent to Bayview to hang out with Ava and Harris

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I can't remember, did Xander pretend to be the baby daddy of Sarah/Eric's baby? If so, you reap what you sow lol.

I was pleasantly surprised by JPL as Phillip yesterday. He wasn't as manic as he was on OLTL. He looked pretty good, too.

I personally like this story with Shawn and I think BB is doing the best work I've ever seen him do. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Almost didn't recognize JPL.  The missing blonde on the outside, brown on the inside hair and the missing ever so noticeably fake tan kinda threw me off!   

I do, however, think he looks so much better now!

Edited by oftentimes
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I can't remember, did Xander pretend to be the baby daddy of Sarah/Eric's baby? If so, you reap what you sow lol.

He totally did and yes he is reaping lol - however Sarah is the baffling one here, she is repeating the stupidity of her first pregnancy by pretending that her baby daddy is somebody else

Edited by brisbydog
Edit
  • Like 7

There were some aspects of today's episode I really liked: Chloe/Brady/Philip and Marlena/Belle.

I continue to think JPL/Philip and NB/Chloe are working better together this go-around. I like JPL's decisions. He seemed genuinely remorseful, but there's something about him that still comes off as a kind of scoundrel. That, I think, is quite interesting. 

I thought Phloe v Broe was the definite highlight. It's sad the show hasn't done more with this great triangle.

I struggle with the Shawn scenes. I think BB is handling them well, but so much about his storyline happens in quick bursts. The scene with him and Marlena would have been more touching if I felt I got to see them interact more. I also wish Shelle could be given more screen time as an actual couple and not just random cheating and affairs.

I do actually think it makes sense why Shawn would be suicidal. BB's Shawn feels like an afterthought by the writers thus the other characters. He's increasingly become more isolated and Ciara is obviously everyone's favorite. Add his guilt about Bo, Hope's seeming neglect of him, and Victor's anger at him before Victor's death. It does make sense. Unfortunately, I don't feel a lot because so much of this happened in fast forward.

I didn't care about anything else that happened. 

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, 4evaQuez said:

I didn't care about anything else that happened. 

What? You don't love Mayor Paulina Price? Abe and Steve watching their soap?

I think, with no spoiler insight, that Chloe is going to end up with Phillip again and Xander and Sarah will get back together when she goes into some sort of inappropriate labour and tells him the truth. Pity cause I love the no baggage relationship of Xander and Chloe.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was pleasantly surprised by JPL as Phillip yesterday. He wasn't as manic as he was on OLTL. He looked pretty good, too.

I personally like this story with Shawn and I think BB is doing the best work I've ever seen him do. 

But Sarah was a willing participant. She was just as much to blame as Xander. Also let's not forget she was the one who had a one-night stand and later entered into a relationship with him while being fully aware of who he was. Now things aren't going her way and somehow this is all Xander's fault? Aimee Brookes's Sarah might be a teenager but she was more mature than this incarnation.

The fact that Linsey Godfrey (Sarah) was recently put on contract, and not recurring, tells me that they will keep her on for a while, unfortunately. I don't know how long Rex is sticking around, so I'm pretty sure Sarah and Xander will be back together, even though they don't belong there.

I don't watch anymore, and even just READING the recaps and spoilers annoys me when I read about her (or Kristen, or Paulina, or Leo, or a bunch of others, not to mention the ones who are coming back.)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, brisbydog said:

What? You don't love Mayor Paulina Price? Abe and Steve watching their soap?

I didn't either.

This episode could have just been the Shawn stuff and the Philip stuff and it would have been better for it.

There was a LOT going on in both storylines today. Philip recalling everything he did and Brady piecing it all together was a lot to process, even for a fan like me who saw it play out years ago. And because their scenes were so short, it was tough for the actors to sell all the ups and downs. Brady's punch, for instance. Things like that need to build.

...so did I misunderstand or was Brady supposed to be thinking this whole time that Kristen murdered Philip and framed him for it? Because....it seems like that wasn't in play these last few years...

I did like Chloe cleverly couching her love for Philip in "don't call 911, for Victor". Brady obviously loves both both Victor and Chloe, and she knows that, but won't say the last part because of Xander (and also, Philip). Using Victor as justification was subtle, clever writing.

I didn't buy Brady quickly remembering Kate calling off his investigation. He's not that quick, writers!

Why did Philip go there first though and does Kate know where he is?

Martha was magnificent today. Emmy reel stuff. I felt every second of her growing fear, her empathy for Shawn, her being strong to help him be strong. I saw her move both her costars as she deliveredher lines. She was even feeding Deidre in the scene (who went from aloof to warm and invested as it played out). BB even seemed better around her. She made it all real.

Take a bow, MM!

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

They are total fools if they let her get away.

...I love Deidre and all but damn, she's mannered in her delivery. She spoke to Belle so weirdly. I don't believe for a second that she thinks of Shawn as family. It's so unfortunate.

....I thought y'all said JPL was better yesterday? He still seemed like he was delivering punchlines today, IMHO. He just seems incapable of getting the material to sound not funny. "And then I threw my leg in the lake and....escaped..." just did the admittedly hilarious line no favors. Did anyone else immediately picture Philip hopping away on one foot sheepishly?

If Lucas is in prison seemingly forever for briefly kidnapping Sami, Philip's laundry list of awfulness should land him the death penalty.

Jada doesn't hold my attention at all...but I still find her 2% more interesting than Rafe. He should consider himself lucky to have found her. And they should leave together. 

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, brisbydog said:

He totally did and yes he is reaping lol - however Sarah is the baffling one here, she is repeating the stupidity of her first pregnancy by pretending that her baby daddy is somebody else

if Days was a better soap they would actually tie this into Sarah's paternity drama she dealt with when she was younger. How Maggie's affair with Neil wrecked her given how she loved Mickey etc but that would involve using actual history instead of these lame plot points.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Brady was so happy to see Phillip and then had to hear it wasn't Kristen but Phillip all along. 

Paulina has no business being mayor or even ordering legacy character Shawn out of a job and saying he can stay on? 

Phillip really looks like Daniel.

Chloe shut up, Brady send him to jail.  He poured liquor into you. Send Kate too as accompliss. Isn't she on probation from her last time for the kidnapping son? Lucas and Phillip can share a cell. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Martha was magnificent today. Emmy reel stuff. I felt every second of her growing fear, her empathy for Shawn, her being strong to help him be strong. I saw her move both her costars as she deliveredher lines. She was even feeding Deidre in the scene (who went from aloof to warm and invested as it played out). BB even seemed better around her. She made it all real.

Take a bow, MM!

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

They are total fools if they let her get away.

I agree 100%, she was wonderful.  

And, I have to say that I thought BB did a pretty terrific job himself.  He didn't have a lot of dialogue but he put did an excellent job of portraying his despair and hopelessness by his facial expressions and his body language.  

Both of them were terrific.

• Like 8

Another episode of The Unfunny Adventures of Leo and Gwen!

Sonny didn't seem to be in mourning. Tinker's never wowed me. He's in better physical shape than Freddie, fine, but performs overeagerly and loses the laidback calm quality that made Sonny interesting years ago.

And I hate his "friendship" with Leo. Sonny should hate him after what he's done.

Leo is such a pet character, he even gets scenes just talking to himself now. Ugh.

The Dimitri actor has some range. That's the best I can say for this dumb storyline with the inheritance.

Stefan really has no clear character anymore, does he.

Camilla, you're overacting and rambling again. Please breathe.

Rachel did okay.

Alex....I mean, y'all know how I feel there.

...is there any good reason we couldn't have continued with Belle and Philip and Chloe today? Or Shawn? The way more compelling storylines? Shawn was about ready to kill himself FFS, and we're cutting away from that??

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Leo and Dimitri don't bother me I think the actors work well together.However this story has went from an affair story to a dumb sitcom terrority.Although I think Gwen definitely knows something she's acting weird.

I found the Stefan and Rachel scenes a little creepy.

• Like 2
On 8/29/2023 at 5:48 AM, Lisa418722 said:

They do NOT need to be attempting any sort of serious, real-life story.  Sorry, but these writers are not proficient enough to handle this.  But who knows, maybe I'll be proved wrong.  

It took me by surprise.

Lost my dad to suicide a handful of years ago.

Sometimes I can handle watching it in fiction, other times...the notion implied, rather than outright said, was far more effective. Teary but not overdone.

I know from personal experience, most people don't talk about it.

Brandon B played it just right, I thought. Kudos to him.

I do hope him reaching  for help though, means Shawn is starting to forgive himself.

• Hugs 13
3 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

It took me by surprise.

Lost my dad to suicide a handful of years ago.

Sometimes I can handle watching it in fiction, other times...the notion implied, rather than outright said, was far more effective. Teary but not overdone.

I know from personal experience, most people don't talk about it.

Brandon B played it just right, I thought. Kudos to him.

I do hope him reaching  for help though, means Shawn is starting to forgive himself.

I'm so sorry, that's a tough thing to carry.

• Like 6

I wanted to see more Belle with Philip instead of the adventures of Leo and Dimitri and Gwen. She and Shawn were good.

They suuuure are keeping that soap alive. My cousin watches with closed captioning and Steve called Abe Matt at least twice.

Paulina can just give Rafe back his job? Why isn’t Jada at Rafe’s house?

I enjoyed Brady punching Philip.

Gabi got part of the secret.

I cringed when Dimitri was looking for a wife to pretend to be Gwen. It is going to be Leo in a wig, right? Ugh. Not cute or funny if it is.

Sonny is back? Alex seems pointless.

• Like 3
  • Love 1