Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/11/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, July 11 – Kevin and Frankie Jonas (ABC’s “Claim to Fame”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, July 12 – Phoebe Robinson (“Everything’s Trash”)

Wednesday, July 13 – Alyssa Farah Griffin guest co-hosts; Day of Hot Topics

Thursday, July 14 – Alyssa Farah Griffin guest co-hosts; Gabby Giffords and Peter Ambler (“Gabby Giffords Won’t Back Down”); Tonya Lewis Lee (“Aftershock”)

Friday, July 15 – Alyssa Farah Griffin guest co-hosts; Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps (“The Upshaws”)

Just came in when they were discussing the preg lady driving in the HOV lane. Love it!  I’ve also heard women suggest claiming their fetuses as dependents on (state) tax returns. 

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Just came in when they were discussing the preg lady driving in the HOV lane. Love it!  I’ve also heard women suggest claiming their fetuses as dependents on (state) tax returns. 

Won't be able to watch today but I was reading about the preg lady & the HOV lane & think it's a great idea & fully agree with her going all the way to the highest court possible. It will also be the first of many variations on the same theme and should keep people busy instead of meddling in things they know nothing about.

• Love 7

Allyssa seemed to be smiling in a way about her return to the show at the end of the week that makes me think they are going to announce her as the new permanent host.  Ugh.

• Mind Blown 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

With the extra doctor visits, vitamins, healthier food & additional wardrobe big enough for two, it makes sense. Gestating a baby ain't cheap, and you wouldn't have these costs if you weren't pregnant.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3

About the vegan wedding - I think Whoopi made a good point. This wasn't some random guest - it was the groom's sister who has lots of allergies. You'd think that when planning the wedding the couple would have made some kind of accommodation for a close family member. I also can see Sunny's point that if you know that you have issues with the food (assuming you are a random wedding guest) then you should eat something beforehand instead of bringing your own food. Unless the reception is a cookout or other really casual venue, bringing food containers seems crass. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

About the vegan wedding - I think Whoopi made a good point. This wasn't some random guest - it was the groom's sister who has lots of allergies. You'd think that when planning the wedding the couple would have made some kind of accommodation for a close family member.

Years ago I worked for a college food service that also did catering.  We were doing a function at a church with a sit down dinner.  The main course was roast beef or fish.  I remember the chef making fettuccini Alfredo for one guest because we had been told ahead of time there was a guest who was a vegetarian.  I'm surprised the groom didn't make arrangements for his sister.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, cinsays said:

Allyssa seemed to be smiling in a way about her return to the show at the end of the week that makes me think they are going to announce her as the new permanent host.  Ugh.

If she is, the show's coming off my DVR. I took one look at today's show and turned it off as soon as I saw her. Can't stand to see someone else from the former administration get rewarded. Blehhhh. 😣

Hope Sara gets well soon. I'm also enjoying her on The Chase.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
Just now, TheGreenKnight said:

Poor Sara! I hope she gets well soon and that her family is okay.

I fast forwarded through most of the show. I mean, with Joy not there and View Your Deal today, too, it wasn't a hard decision.

Or as I always call it, Oprah's Garage Sale. 😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

I think Alyssa is a heap better than some options.

The issues is we can hate all of the ones “in the running”, but they need to fill the seat. The rotating pinwheel of guest hosts has started to irritate me and I feel heading into season 26 they will want a full panel. They have given it a year and to be honest they’ve gone through quite a list of people. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

At my brother's wedding, since my mother and I are allergic to most flowers, I suggested fake corsages, but my SIL gave us all scentless real orchids, even my non-allergic sisters. 

(edited)
5 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

If she is, the show's coming off my DVR. I took one look at today's show and turned it off as soon as I saw her. Can't stand to see someone else from the former administration get rewarded. Blehhhh. 😣

This is why I am hoping Tara will get the job.  I don't want the other candidates rewarded with a network job.  It's even worse than Meghan McCain being awarded the job for being John McCain's daughter.

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, KittyQ said:

About the vegan wedding - I think Whoopi made a good point. This wasn't some random guest - it was the groom's sister who has lots of allergies. You'd think that when planning the wedding the couple would have made some kind of accommodation for a close family member. I also can see Sunny's point that if you know that you have issues with the food (assuming you are a random wedding guest) then you should eat something beforehand instead of bringing your own food. Unless the reception is a cookout or other really casual venue, bringing food containers seems crass. 

Before retirement, I worked in an orthodontic office that employed 25 plus women, and 2-3 dentists.  It was a special place to work with many perks, and lunches and dinners at the Country Club.  We ALWAYS would make special dietary accommodations for anyone that had a problem, I thought that was great.

• Love 3

I was on a cruise years ago with a friend who could only eat very specific things because of medical issues.  She had to chat with the server at every meal about how things were prepared.  I imagine it's incredibly frustrating to have to live this way and to attend events where eating like everyone else is not an option.  While I didn't see anything wrong with the woman bringing her own meal to the wedding, Whoopi had the best remarks that it was up to the wedding couple to make sure the caterers had something prepared for her to eat.  I think most invitations come with a line about dietary considerations but surely the groom knew his sister had limitations.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, KittyQ said:

This wasn't some random guest - it was the groom's sister who has lots of allergies.

That's why I think there is so much more to the story than food allergies.  This has to do with the relationship between the groom and his sister.  Why wouldn't he accommodate his own sister?  And why would she publicize it?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

That's why I think there is so much more to the story than food allergies.  This has to do with the relationship between the groom and his sister.  Why wouldn't he accommodate his own sister?  And why would she publicize it?

My guess is that the bride was a bridezilla and it was her way or the highway and there were no food substitutions for anyone.  The brother probably didn’t want to rock the boat and told the sister to bring her own food. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

And why would she publicize it?

I wondered that too.  People publicize everything that happens to them now. Maybe I'm just old, or a nicer way of putting it is I 'm older but if this had happened to me I would have vented to my family (minus the brother) and friends.  I wouldn't have put it online for it become a hot room temperature topic on the View. 

22 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

My guess is that the bride was a bridezilla and it was her way or the highway and there were no food substitutions for anyone.  The brother probably didn’t want to rock the boat and told the sister to bring her own food. 

This is exactly what I think happened. 

16 hours ago, AusTvWatcher said:

I can tolerate her.  I don't foresee her changing her Trump tune.  And she has actually worked in politics unlike the former cohost who sat in the seat who was simply born into politics. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, AusTvWatcher said:

The issues is we can hate all of the ones “in the running”, but they need to fill the seat. The rotating pinwheel of guest hosts has started to irritate me and I feel heading into season 26 they will want a full panel. They have given it a year and to be honest they’ve gone through quite a list of people. 

I agree about Alyssa being better than some of the other options they've had.

That said, they don't really "need" to hire someone new, it's more a case of wanting to, I suppose. The ratings have been fine with the current cast and they already have 5 people. With another person on the show, whenever Ana shows up on Monday or Tuesday, somebody will have to sit out to make room for her. And if that person is going to be Joy--no thanks. Make Sara, Sunny, or the new hire stay home if that's how it's going to be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, GladysCravits said:

I think Whoopi looks really nice today.  Those colors are perfect for her. 

I love that blouse!

Talk, talk, blah, blah… same old conversations about gun reform.  It’s tedious since no one is going to budge.  

Oh, Jill. 🤦‍♀️  At least she wasn’t wearing a jacket that says “I don’t care.”

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Too bad Ginger Z isn’t up for the job.  I like her.  Matter of fact, I really like this panel.

I agree.  Would nice to have someone with a science background on the show.  I enjoyed her contribution to the Hershal Walker discussion.   

I'm ok-ish on Alyssa.  But she just feels so rehearsed and unauthentic on the show.   Seeing how Ginger fit it like an old friend with the rest of the panel, really pointed that out to me.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

We've overdone the topic of vegan wedding, BUT I found the article and the lady says she couldn't trust any "special" meal that was made for her by the caterer because the caterer was not a professional. It was just a local neighborhood lady that agreed to make the food for the wedding. She mentioned she's allergic to peanuts, soy, and shellfish. 

IMO, she should have excluded the eggs. By including the eggs she disrespected the bride and groom's choice of having a vegan wedding.

43 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I caught some of that show Whoopi's granddaughter is on they promoted yesterday and it is baaaaaad. So bad. Clunky and uninteresting.

I love reality tv and I enjoyed the show. 🤪

Granted it's not must-see-tv, but ut gave me something to watch during the 9 o'clock hour. 

Whoopis granddaughter was annoying at first, during introductions, but she was fine the rest of the show.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I love reality tv and I enjoyed the show. 🤪

Granted it's not must-see-tv, but ut gave me something to watch during the 9 o'clock hour. 

Whoopis granddaughter was annoying at first, during introductions, but she was fine the rest of the show.

To be fair, I hate reality tv and I only caught a bit in the middle. I am clearly not their target audience.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Axie said:

Didn’t see the show with Whoopie’s granddaughter but have tried to watch Sara’s The Chase.   Tried being the operative word.

I like game shows. I like trivia. And I like Sara. But I don't like The Chase. I've tried, but I can't get into it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Ana: "I don't know where his good brain cells moved to."

Shouldn't we expect or at the very least hope the people we vote for are at least as smart as us? I think Herschel Walker must have taken too many hits to the head playing football.  

12 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

To be fair, I hate reality tv and I only caught a bit in the middle. I am clearly not their target audience.

I loathe reality TV but I did see a headline about a contestant on that reality show who cheated.  If you feel the need to cheat on a reality show you might want to take a good look at yourself.

16 hours ago, After7Only said:

I'm ok-ish on Alyssa.  But she just feels so rehearsed and unauthentic on the show. 

At least she can have a debate with her cohosts without losing her temper or calling someone a bitch.  

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

The WH meeting they were talking about sounds like it was bonkers. The lawyers must have thought they were being punked. I miss Joy’s take on all this.

Alyssa is very defensive.

Some really good discussions and back and forth today. This is a good panel. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Alyssa, I honestly don’t care what you have to say.  You were right in the middle of that mess.  Enough said.

Exactly. She's no hero.

11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I like game shows. I like trivia. And I like Sara. But I don't like The Chase. I've tried, but I can't get into it.

I enjoy it, but then I watched the GSN version so I knew what to expect. I tried to get my folks into it, but they feel same as you. It's not a game show that everyone will like. That said, Sara's holding her own.

43 minutes ago, Haleth said:

The WH meeting they were talking about sounds like it was bonkers. The lawyers must have thought they were being punked. I miss Joy’s take on all this.

I've read most of the books written about the end of Trump's presidency and they all have some version of this story which makes me believe it has to be true.

45 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Alyssa is very defensive.

If she is going to have that seat she is going to have to not take things personally and if things are personal then she needs to be able to defend them. Hopefully calmly and without any split screens.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Alyssa, I honestly don’t care what you have to say.  You were right in the middle of that mess.  Enough said.

I find her to be more pleasant than others in the running, but the stench of her working for TFG cannot be washed off. Anyone who stuck with him after he mocked the disabled man on camera-before he was ever president-is responsible for this mess. I am tired of seeing all these traitors failing upward.

• Fire 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6

Good for Whoopi. Her anger was almost palpable. She was on fire, using her powers for good to take the Uvalde PD to task for releasing audio and video of the horror without first notifying the families. Yes, her outrage is justified and well expressed. 

Alyssa is a better conservative rep than Bitsy or Me­-Again, but she out and out deflected Sunny’s inquiry about how women who speak out about Republican transgressions are harassed and vilified vs how men are treated.  I could tell from Sunny’s face that she found it useless to have a follow-up question, for Alyssa would just go off on some other tangent. Sad.

I need and value a conservative point of view that is intelligent, balanced and well-stated. Ana fulfills these criteria, but Alyssa does not. While very smiley and pleasant, she is eager to get the job and she spouts a lot of meaningless, deflective, self-protective hot air. She is almost predicted to pivot whatever question is posed and talk about something tangential.

I hope that Sarah is back soon and fully recovered from her COVID. I miss her thoughtfulness and upbeat manner.

Good question to Manuel Oliver as to whether he would be interested in the Gun Control Czar position. He would be a good candidate but I respect his response. I hope that he and his family are continuing to heal.

This observation is not about this week’s shows, but Whoopi seems to be significantly improved vs last year. She is reading the teleprompter better, she is more engaged, less sour and is even dressing better. Maybe the time out did her some good and she truly reflected on the benefits of having a million dollar plus salary for working several hours a day. Just sayin’…

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I find her to be more pleasant than others in the running, but the stench of her working for TFG cannot be washed off. Anyone who stuck with him after he mocked the disabled man on camera-before he was ever president-is responsible for this mess. I am tired of seeing all these traitors failing upward.

Yes.  It would be one thing if she had worked for him for a month, until she had the chance to see what he was all about, but, that wasn’t the case.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, FaginZorro said:

This observation is not about this week’s shows, but Whoopi seems to be significantly improved vs last year. She is reading the teleprompter better, she is more engaged, less sour and is even dressing better. Maybe the time out did her some good and she truly reflected on the benefits of having a million dollar plus salary for working several hours a day. Just sayin’…

Maybe things are a lot more relaxed on set and behind the scenes since Meghan left. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Maybe things are a lot more relaxed on set and behind the scenes since Meghan left. 

Yeah, but life’s just not the same without someone reminding us daily that she’s half an orphan.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

About LeBron James' comment on whether Brittney Griner feels let down by the US because she's still in Russia - LeBron must have an unrealistic expectation of what the State Department can accomplish and how long it might take. There are other people who have been in Russian prisons longer than Brittney by years, so perhaps expectations should be adjusted. I think it would be normal to be a bit bitter when you're incarcerated unfairly no matter where that is, but relationships between governments (especially ones that are at odds for other reasons) are going to require diplomacy and negotiations that can take quite some time. 

As to Whoopi's point, I'm not sure that the fact that Brittney Griner has played in Russia "for years" is a good talking point for her. You'd expect that a person who must be more than passingly familiar with a country would have at least a general knowledge of its laws and know enough to be cautious when traveling there, unlike casual tourists who often don't know all that much about the country they are visiting. One has to wonder if she became complacent because she'd been there before with no incident.

Although the ladies keep making this point, I don't think that the fact that she's been playing in Russia to get extra money because the WNBA doesn't pay that much (according to www[.]sportingnews[.]com she makes $227,900 per year) is relevant to her case. It isn't as though she was there at the behest of the US government. If a US citizen is travelling to another country for business or personal purposes, they should get the same kind of assistance regardless of their income. (Although, for a variety of reasons, not everyone ends up with especially helpful assistance - Amanda Knox for example).

• Like 2
  • Love 5