Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/11/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, deirdra said:

How many times has Sarah had Covid?

From what I remember this is the first time, though she had previously been out due to having close contact / her husband having it. 

• Love 2

Please View producers, DO NOT hire Alyssa Farah Griffin for the conservative host slot. Aside from her shamelessly trying to promote herself as some sort of hero for finally speaking up about Trump--only AFTER Trump lost the election and court challenges and she needed another job, she has no depth or authenticity. Be real, the only reason to consider Griffin is because of her history with Trump and the drama that brings. But The View is better than this and shouldn't just be seeking cheap drama for ratings. If you want an authentic conservative voice, make Anna Navarro a permanent host. She has the knowledge, depth of experience, intelligence, sense of humor and shows one can hold true conservative values w/o being a crazy bigot. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

Wow, the fill ins outnumber the regulars today. Good panel again though.  Everyone is engaged and making intelligent contributions.

Oh, geez. Whoopi and her taxes. 

• Love 9

I watched since Chelsea Clinton and Giffords are both there today. In the first segment, Alyssa actually called herself an "environmentalist," lol. She'll call herself anything as the need arises apparently.

The show should've just stayed on break another week if they could only manage to have two of the cast available. Any show where Whoopi has the most airtime is usually a bad one, imo.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I’m not sure what it says about the show when this week’s shows have been better with guest cohosts than it’s been in a long time with the regular panel.

The regular panel is too predictable. Sunny always has to be right, Sara gets lost, and as much as I love Joy, her jokes can get old.

I enjoyed Juju Chang!!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

For some reason it seemed Whoopi might think that COVID just popped up during Biden's administration. Anyone running for President in 2020 had to know that COVID was a big problem and would not just go away after the election. So Biden knew what he was getting into on this issue at least. If he hasn't managed it well, that's his problem. Most Presidents don't go into office with a "blank check" to do whatever they want without any opposition. Part of the job is being able to work with competing interests to obtain results that are best for the country, not for themselves or their particular political party.

It was a quick line, but Whoopi also made the point that if a woman travels to another state to get an abortion, how would anyone in her home state know. People travel for all kinds of reasons, and we don't have to give testimony of why when we cross state lines. I don't know why those who are pushing the idea that women traveling for abortions should be charged for some crime would not consider this as a huge block to the plan. I think they just want to scare people. 

Edited by KittyQ
Somehow left out an important part of the sentence.
37 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

So Biden knew what he was getting into on this issue at least.

The Biden admin had no idea there would be such resistance to the vaccine. 

37 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

how would anyone in her home state know

If someone ratted her out?

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

The Biden admin had no idea there would be such resistance to the vaccine. 

If someone ratted her out?

No one can predict exactly what people will or won't go for, although my personal experience is that the vaccine, especially the first version, was very much wanted. I stood in lines of many people waiting to get it as well as the booster shot. What I suspect is happening now is that people are tired of the never-ending restrictions that don't seem to have the great results that were promoted. I doubt it would be different for any other President, but Biden has to deal the hand that was dealt. My point is that any candidate for President should have been aware that a global pandemic would be a huge problem going forward. So for the panel to suggest that Biden was surprised by ongoing COVID problems is silly.

As for being ratted out - there's going to be a tip line or something? Who would act on these tips and how quickly? There's also the matter of "proof" - who would collect that? Are we imagining that there would be some kind of web of informers of the kind you expect in totalitarian regimes and police resources would be devoted to tracking down evidence (vs. following up on the many existing crimes)? Any state government that hasn't at least thought this through is idiotic and should all be thrown out come election time, even if the alternatives are literally clowns. I think Whoopi had a good point there, because we don't live in a country that thrives on informants.

Edited by KittyQ
Added some clarification.
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

It was a quick line, but Whoopi also made the point that if a woman travels to another state to get an abortion, how would anyone in her home state know. People travel for all kinds of reasons, and we don't have to give testimony of why when we cross state lines. I don't know why those who are pushing the idea that women traveling for abortions should be charged for some crime would not consider this as a huge block to the plan. I think they just want to scare people. 

If the State makes it illegal to cross state lines for an abortion, the law will also generally include methods of enforcement.   There are some states, like Kansas, that currently allow abortion but is working to restrict, that might very well notify a woman's home state that she received (or even inquired about) an abortion in their state.  

But the same question can be asked about enforcement of prescription drug abortions sent in the mail to a state where abortion is illegal.   It's also harder to enforce but not impossible.   The point being even though the likelihood of being caught is low, it's still very possible and something someone should be scared of.   

Edited by After7Only
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, After7Only said:

If the State makes it illegal to cross state lines for an abortion, the law will also generally include methods of enforcement.   There are some states, like Kansas, that currently allow abortion but is working to restrict, that might very well notify a woman's home state that she received (or even inquired about) an abortion in their state.  

But the same question can be asked about enforcement of prescription drug abortions sent in the mail to a state where abortion is illegal.   It's also harder to enforce but not impossible.   The point being even though the likely hood of being caught is low, it's still very possible and something someone should be scared of.   

I think that your point about Kansas possibly restricting abortions for out-of-state people makes some sense. It does rely on reporting, however. I suppose that if clinics were required to provide demographic details about clients that might be helpful, but wouldn't a clinic giving specific patient details violate HIPAA? The details would have to be well thought through and I think various states would have to deal with their voters. So far as I know, no one who has floated this idea has bothered to outline how it would work, so I'm saying either they have no idea and are just posturing, or they really think this is a fully baked plan (Yikes!).  If my state has elected officials who would enact knee jerk, slap-dash legislation, I would never vote for them again because they are too stupid to be in office. Whoopi doesn't always make great sense, but she does have some points that people should think about. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

No one can predict exactly what people will or won't go for, although my personal experience is that the vaccine, especially the first version, was very much wanted. I stood in lines of many people waiting to get it as well as the booster shot. What I suspect is happening now is that people are tired of the never-ending restrictions that don't seem to have the great results that were promoted. I doubt it would be different for any other President, but Biden has to deal the hand that was dealt. My point is that any candidate for President should have been aware that a global pandemic would be a huge problem going forward. So for the panel to suggest that Biden was surprised by ongoing COVID problems is silly.

As for being ratted out - there's going to be a tip line or something? Who would act on these tips and how quickly? There's also the matter of "proof" - who would collect that? Are we imagining that there would be some kind of web of informers of the kind you expect in totalitarian regimes and police resources would be devoted to tracking down evidence (vs. following up on the many existing crimes)? Any state government that hasn't at least thought this through is idiotic and should all be thrown out come election time, even if the alternatives are literally clowns. I think Whoopi had a good point there, because we don't live in a country that thrives on informants.

I don't see where Biden was unaware the pandemic would be difficult to deal with.

And I didn't hear the panel suggest he was surprised by it.

Maybe I missed those parts.

• Love 7
On 7/11/2022 at 10:46 AM, KittyQ said:

About the vegan wedding - I think Whoopi made a good point. This wasn't some random guest - it was the groom's sister who has lots of allergies. You'd think that when planning the wedding the couple would have made some kind of accommodation for a close family member. I also can see Sunny's point that if you know that you have issues with the food (assuming you are a random wedding guest) then you should eat something beforehand instead of bringing your own food. Unless the reception is a cookout or other really casual venue, bringing food containers seems crass. 

If the groom didn't make accommodations for his sister, I imagine this will brew up in the family from time to time.  Considering how long marriages last on average, keeping a good relationship with blood isn't a bad idea. Total dick move.  And the bride isn't much better.  If it were a random guest, no need to accommodate.

• Love 1
(edited)

Where has Joy been? She was mentioned on Monday as “having the day off” and then there’s been no mention since. Hopefully her health is ok? 

Also more JuJu please!!! She was great 

Edited by AusTvWatcher
  • Love 5

I thought Juju Chang and Chelsea Clinton were nice, but I didn't think the panel had much chemistry as a whole. *shrug* The show was a little dull for me. And, IDK, having Sara and Joy absent reminds me how I don't like Ana and Sunny as much as I used to; I don't dislike them like I do Whoopi, they just end up getting on my nerves around 30% of the time is all.

At least tomorrow's the last show of this low energy week. I wish Sara could be back, too, even though I expect that may not be possible yet, but hopefully Joy might be back at least.

9 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

At least tomorrow's the last show of this low energy week

Yeah this week has felt off mostly due to Joy and Sara not being there.  Whoopi and Sunny has made some good points when discussing the hot topics but the dynamic at the table is off.

9 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And, IDK, having Sara and Joy absent reminds me how I don't like Ana and Sunny as much as I used to;

I've never been a big Ana fan.  In the past I found her tolerable because she was usually sitting at the table with the been in politics my whole life blond who was intolerable.  Sunny still grates.  

(edited)

I guess they ran out of women who could fill in.  Lol

I wonder if Alyssa knows who the WH staffer is who was contacted by trump. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Today was decent. I like when Dan Abrams drops by, plus the opening topic was worth sticking around to hear the reactions to, unlike most of the stuff this week. I believe Alyssa will be the new co-host most likely. That's not an endorsement, just I've thought she was the one they would hire since around November of last year, lol.

5 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah this week has felt off mostly due to Joy and Sara not being there.  Whoopi and Sunny has made some good points when discussing the hot topics but the dynamic at the table is off.

I've never been a big Ana fan.  In the past I found her tolerable because she was usually sitting at the table with the been in politics my whole life blond who was intolerable.  Sunny still grates.  

Sunny's been grating for a while now. That week when Amber Ruffin and Jane Lynch were there was when my view of Ana started to shift. Ever since, I see her a bit differently, and both she and Sunny have this weird vibe going on together versus the others. I still like them, just sometimes there are things they do that are tiresome to me.

(edited)

I like Ana but wish she’d tone down the snark, not make everything a joke.

Incidentally, the doc who performed the abortion in IN is thinking about suing the AG for defamation since she followed the law and he couldn’t be bothered to check.

Yay!  Sen. Warnock next week!  I love his calm, comforting demeanor. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 5

Today’s Hot Topics were truly and properly on fire!

Whoopi out and out declared in no uncertain terms that no church or legal system should have any involvement in the right to choose abortion. She stated this simply, directly and was well spoken. Brava.  As I mentioned in a previous post, she seems to be handling her moderating duties with fresh energy vs eight months ago.

Sunny rightfully discussed how, as an attorney, she has seen young teens who were forced to give birth to children of rape and the outcomes are predictably dismal. See the horrible news story of circa four years ago about how a comatose woman in assisted living in Arizona was raped by a male attendant. The woman's family has graciously agreed to raise and support the child, God bless them all. But still… Given what she has witnessed I wonder why Sunny still clings to her pro life stance. But the "Kult of Katholocism" (tm) is seeming to win out with her.

AFG made a good point about how pro-life should encompass support for pre-birth services to ensure mothers and babies, something which is not currently being done.  AFG is toothy and smiley and most probably (she looked nice in her yellow dress) will be the fifth co host, but I am far from sold on her contributions. As others have pointed out, she ate and promulgated the Orange Turd way of life for an extended period of time; she did not have a "Come to Jesus" moment about her political loyalties and actions. I also doubt that she has the connections to draw in other intelligent conservative commentators to add to the show.

Ana (I love her! A bundle of energy, intelligence, and common sense) rightfully brought up that the pro-life perspective does not/is not supporting LIVING children in foster care -- a shameful story for a long time. See the news story of Ma’khia Bryant from 15 months ago in April 2021. This 15-year-old was one of the tens and perhaps hundreds of thousands of sad and dismal foster care cases, lives that are bent and warped in childhood because they never had any chance for stability and normalcy. Yes, Al, Ana's husband, sounds like a jerk as does Sunny's orthopedist husband.

Good for Whoopi to common sensibly reinforce the importance of not jumping to foregone conclusions about the results of elections in ‘22 and ‘24, but for people to get out and vote.

Dan (a guy) was even-handed, properly low key energetic and sensible in his remarks. He seemed to “know his place.” (Smile) It is good to have a fresh face and perspective on the panel. It is okay to have a carefully hand-picked, objective man on the panel – occasionally -- from time to time. (Smile.)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Al and Manny sound very entitled! I get that when there are two people working, you have to compromise on who does which chores, but "expecting" that dinner will be served (especially at a particular time) is pretty insufferable, no matter who is demanding it. It is hard to believe that Sunny and Ana would go along with that. I also agree with Whoopi (again!) that the time to work some of this out is at the beginning of the marriage / living situation. At least set a few expectations, knowing things might change in the future.

• Love 2

I used to like Dan Abrams when he was on Good Morning America and Nightline. I thought he was professional and respectable. Now he does sensationalism TV on A&E and I have lost some respect for him.

During the Snooki segment, he assumed Snooki is an idiot and that she had to have had the political ad explained to her as if she was a toddler. She is a grown woman who has expanded her career unlike any other former MTV reality star. I am sure she did not require a slow, baby-talk explanation of the ad. I was glad Whoopi made that point at the end of the segment. 

• Love 5
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

During the Snooki segment, he assumed Snooki is an idiot and that she had to have had the political ad explained to her as if she was a toddler. She is a grown woman who has expanded her career unlike any other former MTV reality star. I am sure she did not require a slow, baby-talk explanation of the ad. I was glad Whoopi made that point at the end of the segment. 

I heard on another show that Snooki posted this on her own and Fetterman got permission to use it in an ad. No explaining was required. (Sexist jerk. <- Abrams, I mean.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Al and Manny sound very entitled! I get that when there are two people working, you have to compromise on who does which chores, but "expecting" that dinner will be served (especially at a particular time) is pretty insufferable, no matter who is demanding it. It is hard to believe that Sunny and Ana would go along with that. I also agree with Whoopi (again!) that the time to work some of this out is at the beginning of the marriage / living situation. At least set a few expectations, knowing things might change in the future.

In Hispanic culture, especially the older generation, men expect to be served and catered to. I am Hispanic, I saw this growing up with my parents. Women are subservient to their husbands and their sons(!). Even now, during get-togethers, my sisters and I are reminded and encouraged to serve our husbands a plate and get them a drink if their glass is less than full. 

This, of course, is becoming a thing of the past, as modern Hispanic women are choosing not to follow these "traditions."

I'm not sure if Manny is Hispanic, but maybe his culture follows these traditions as well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

In Hispanic culture, especially the older generation, men expect to be served and catered to. I am Hispanic, I saw this growing up with my parents. Women are subservient to their husbands and their sons(!). Even now, during get-togethers, my sisters and I are reminded and encouraged to serve our husbands a plate and get them a drink if their glass is less than full. 

This, of course, is becoming a thing of the past, as modern Hispanic women are choosing not to follow these "traditions."

I'm not sure if Manny is Hispanic, but maybe his culture follows these traditions as well.

I was thinking this. It's been true in the Black community as well. 

22 hours ago, cinsays said:

I don't see where Biden was unaware the pandemic would be difficult to deal with.

And I didn't hear the panel suggest he was surprised by it.

Maybe I missed those parts.

Agree.  Though I’m not sure anyone was aware of how political the idea of vaccinations and masks had, and would, become.  That this had now become such  a major political identification issue.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I heard on another show that Snooki posted this on her own and Fetterman got permission to use it in an ad. No explaining was required. (Sexist jerk. <- Abrams, I mean.)

I read that John Fetterman paid Snookie $300.00 for that ad.  I'd say, that was $300.00, well spent, John. Kudos!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, FaginZorro said:

AFG made a good point about how pro-life should encompass support for pre-birth services to ensure mothers and babies, something which is not currently being done. 

Also, nothing seems to be said about the outrageous cost of child care.  Some of these women may not make enough money to pay for child care and will have to quit their jobs to stay at home, which leads to welfare.  Does anyone (anti-abortion advocates) ever think of that?  They hate providing welfare more than they hate abortion.

• Applause 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

It’s weird that Sara has been out all week because of COVID but on Instagram she appears to be on vacation.

Looks like she's posting pics she took while they were in The Bahamas filming.

33 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Also, nothing seems to be said about the outrageous cost of child care.  Some of these women may not make enough money to pay for child care and will have to quit their jobs to stay at home, which leads to welfare.  Does anyone (anti-abortion advocates) ever think of that?  They hate providing welfare more than they hate abortion.

This is a weak point for anti-abortion advocates. In the past 50 years, no group (pro or anti) has adequately addressed many of the reasons that women seek abortions and identify solutions for post-birth issues. In addition to creating or supporting childcare options, there should be more emphasis on developing birth control options that are efficient and reliable enough that more people would use. Abortion should not be considered as the ideal "back up plan" if a woman doesn't want to have a child. As trite as it is to say that abortion should be "rare", that is true, although there doesn't seem to be much work done to ensure that is the reality.

I have seen Snooki on some talk shows through the years and she’s actually a well spoken, thoughtful woman.  I’ve been impressed by her.  She’s not the kid that started on Jersey Shore a hundred years ago.  So, bite it Dan Abrams.

• Love 7

Boy! Whenever they talk about abortion, Sunny looks like a combination of someone who walked into a room and smelled some real bad funk and was just told that Trump is once again president. 

How did someone SO uptight, so prudish, so close-minded ever get put on a TALK SHOW where nothing should be off limits to discuss?!!! 

I also cringe when the topic turns to infidelities', flirting and just marriage in general. Her husband and kids must feel like they're under house arrest with Queen Victoria most of the time!!

• Wink 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, limestation said:

Boy! Whenever they talk about abortion, Sunny looks like a combination of someone who walked into a room and smelled some real bad funk and was just told that Trump is once again president. 

How did someone SO uptight, so prudish, so close-minded ever get put on a TALK SHOW where nothing should be off limits to discuss?!!! 

I also cringe when the topic turns to infidelities', flirting and just marriage in general. Her husband and kids must feel like they're under house arrest with Queen Victoria most of the time!!

Sunny is a Cath-O-Lick.  Although she rarely mentions it.  Oh, wait…..

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sunny is constantly reminding us that she is Catholic and therefore does not believe in abortion "for any reason." I wish one of the other panelists would ask her what she would do if it happened to her own daughter.  Would she force her to continue the pregnancy?

Edited by debbie311
  • Like 1
  • Love 3