Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts of Housewives Past: Jill Zarin, Alex, and the Rest

• Start Topic

I've always wondered how exactly Kelly has managed to live as well as she has for a dried-up former model who merely juggles various little vanity jobs the way she does.

How much does the odd TV hosting job/random fashion book release/occasional modeling assignment/self-penned magazine article/former jewelry line really pay?

Child support checks from Gilles must pay decently, but how much dough is a well-known fashion photographer really worth? Not to mention her daughters are both teenagers now, so the checks will dry up in less than 5 years...then what??

She did have to sell her Hamptons home a few years ago, so maybe she invested that money well and is able to get by on various residuals and maybe former spousal support/her divorce settlement, but still, it ain't cheap living well in Manhattan and she ain't out there proudly hustling for extra paid writing work like say, Carole Radziwill.

I've often wondered if her fabulous downtown loft is paid for or a rental as well---it's gotta be worth a pretty penny, being that it's a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom stunner where she lives with her daughters. I'm guessing Giles bought it for them long ago since she's reportedly lived there for so long and he supposedly has a place in the same loft building?

But her lifestyle/mindset has always been a bit of an enigma to me---not to mention the fact that she's apparently never had another long-term relationship or marriage after Gilles.

I find her supposed mental issues both fascinating and frightening; she apparently never quite bounced back from the former adulation of hot young model-turned famous photographer's muse/wife and her social/fashion connections are dwindling along with her youth/good looks. Very appropriate that she could get lost in the land of Sonja Morgan delusions if she's not careful and doesn't plan her estate/earnings accordingly.

It's also astonishing that someone who seems as daffy and "off" as she is actually graduated from college and has written several books.

I've always wondered about Kelly and Giles's divorce. To hear Kelly talk it sounded very friendly, but odd. Almost like she thought of him as more of a father figure than an ex-husband. I got the impression that in addition to a very generous divorce and child support settlement, he also greased the wheels for her to transition into a fashion writing career after modeling and continues to do so up to this day. She never had any problem dropping his name so I guess she didn't have any worries about him having a problem with it. It's nice, but kind of strange. I mean, how many ex-husbands act as mentors to their ex-wives? And the fact that Kelly acted oblivious to the idea that most people get divorced because they don't like each other anymore was also strange. They had 2 kids so the whole marriage couldn't have been for show, but it was...different. I really got the distinct impression that she thought of Giles as a father or uncle that was looking out for her. Which is a unique way of thinking about the father of your children. The whole thing made me wonder if Kelly's ever had an adult relationship. Or what she even thinks an adult relationship involves.

• Love 4

I'm not disparaging online courses. Hell, I did it before pursuing my masters.  But, Columbia Extension school has open enrollment.  It's not at all the same as actually attending Columbia, where their academic requirements for admission are extremely high.  

So, yes, she did attend Columbia, but I think people are amazed because they assume she had to meet certain requirements to attend.  When, really, all she needed was the money to pay for it. Plus, they have limited degree programs and are usually much easier classes.

Sorry to disagree, but Columbia does not have an Extension School with open enrollment.  It does have a division of Continuing Education and Special Programs which offers non-degree & degree courses and all degree programs at Columbia have tough admissions criteria.  Kelly graduated from the School of General Studies, a traditional, regular ol', sage-on-the-stage, in residence, undergraduate degree-granting division.  I don't know where she's pursuing her MBA but it's not Columbia since the Columbia Business School does not offer online degrees!

• Love 1

I'm always interested in the discussion about Kelly's academic pedigree because I'm a Columbia alum and, to echo Trixie Friganza, Kelly graduated from the School of General Studies. I can't tell you what the distribution requirements were and/or how they differed from those mandated for Barnard and Columbia College students (maybe their "core" classes are different?), but GS students enroll and participate in the same courses as undergrads at those schools. They are tasked with identical coursework in those instances, engage in classroom discussion like everyone else, etc. They graduate with a Bachelor's of Liberal Arts degree rather than a BA, I believe, but the circumstances most definitively are not analogous to the stereotypical open-enrollment, non-academic credit model of continuing education.

GS is often recommended by the admissions office to men and women who want to matriculate after working professionally for five or more years in "the real world."

• Love 2

I've always wondered about Kelly and Giles's divorce. To hear Kelly talk it sounded very friendly, but odd. Almost like she thought of him as more of a father figure than an ex-husband. I got the impression that in addition to a very generous divorce and child support settlement, he also greased the wheels for her to transition into a fashion writing career after modeling and continues to do so up to this day. She never had any problem dropping his name so I guess she didn't have any worries about him having a problem with it. It's nice, but kind of strange. I mean, how many ex-husbands act as mentors to their ex-wives? And the fact that Kelly acted oblivious to the idea that most people get divorced because they don't like each other anymore was also strange. They had 2 kids so the whole marriage couldn't have been for show, but it was...different. I really got the distinct impression that she thought of Giles as a father or uncle that was looking out for her. Which is a unique way of thinking about the father of your children. The whole thing made me wonder if Kelly's ever had an adult relationship. Or what she even thinks an adult relationship involves.

Gilles worked as the international creative director (ie the boss) for Elle magazine until 2007 or so. Not coincidentally, Kelly's most prominent position in fashion editorial was as the editor-in-chief of Elle Accessories, a biannual supplement that anyone with some design experience could have produced on Photoshop at home. It basically looked like a catalog (not a good thing for a style periodical). Word on the street was that she got into very public screaming matches with Nina Garcia, the market director for Elle, though the friction was short-lived because Gilles ended up getting fired a year or two later. I don't believe Kelly has had any major fashion writing gigs since then.

• Love 2

Did you ever hear about Kelly's story of getting into Columbia?  She talked to the Dean about how awesome she was and how awesome it would be for her to go there.  And next thing you know...  I think she started at Trinity and then modeled and then went back to school.  I am sure the story is google-able.

Meanwhile, Kelly moved out of the fabulous downtown loft probably 2 years ago.

I think she is getting paid to tweet about the fashions she wears by certain brands.  Bally and Carlos Falchi are two brands she tweets about a lot.

• Love 1

I thought she has a regular column with some magazine.  Anyone know?

She had a gig with Glamour in 2006 for 2 years.   I follow her on Instagram, too.  The last time she posted about anything she'd written was months ago and it wasn't an article.  It was an interview.  Her website is updated regularly but there's nada about anything she's currently working on.  She's still heavily shilling The Widow's Guide.  Can't say I blame her because I really don't think she has anything else in the fire.  Her book of essays was supposed to be done last spring.  I don't think she has a publisher yet.  Quaintirene, can you confirm?

I don't know about how much of a go getter she is compared to Kelly.  Kelly, as delusional as she is, has written 4 books, has a jewelry and clothing line, raises kids, cooks and EXERCISES!  Granted, I don't know how successful her books, jewelry or clothing is.  I've seen how her pancakes and cookies look...but I don't think Kelly sits around editing Wiki pages at night.  Just looked at her twitter...she also has a regular Tuesday night gig at the food bank and is currently writing a blog for NY Model Management and a column for AM New York.  Her home fragrance line (home fragrance?) is sold at Kitson. Kelly may throw everything at the wall hoping something sticks but other than a commercial for Benefit cosmetics - that aired exclusively on Bravo, and a commercial she did with Andy that aired only during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, I'm still not seeing hustle from Carole. 

• Love 1

I'm kind of getting a kick at posting about Aviva here rather than her thread since her ass isn't on the show anymore. Yes! Anyway, she's being sued by her former manager. TMZ has the story. Apparently, she received $100K from her participation in the show, and the ex-mananger is saying they had a contract where she (ex-manager) would be paid a 10% commission. Instead, Aviva only ponied up $2,500, so the woman is suing for the remaining funds.

I could see that. Some of the issues with Kelly has always been that she's a literal person to the point of almost not being able to have a conversation. She really has no sense of humor and no ability to read sarcasm or irony or even metaphor. She's also a pretty black and white moralist with basically no empathy. She may be able to sympathize or feel bad for someone, but she can't seem to see things from another point of view. I'm doing an online master's and i can see the format maybe being a good fit for her. It is more literal and formal than a brick and mortar classroom.

This actually reminds me of some of the things Kelly said in her talking heads during Scary Island. She kept talking about how she doesn't like the "witty banter." I remember thinking that the way she said it was as if there were something wrong with simply having a back and forth conversation. It also goes along with her pattern of not enjoying a conversation that is not about her. It became really apparent during that trip that the happiest times Kelly had were when the conversations focused around what she was saying. There was this moment when Kelly was talking about her chandelier and how she has a pulley system to clean it and she just seems so engaged, because it is about her. Bethenny comes out and you can see the change come over her as the conversation opens up to include Bethenny. It was the same with the "hoe bag" comment.

When Sonja was focused on Kelly talking about her romantic status and how hot Kelly was, the conversation was fine. The second Sonja paid Bethenny a compliment, Kelly started poking with the "not a nice person;" "she called me Madonna;" "I'm not a hoe bag like Bethenny." If you really watch those episodes carefully, you can see it happening throughout the trip. Anytime Bethenny was being included or singled out in conversation, Kelly went completely cold. And, what was weird was that she and Bethenny had already buried the hatchet and agreed to move forward before the trip. Which is why I always suspected Jill was feeding Kelly the stuff about Bethenny trashing Kelly and her kids in the press. 

• Love 6

Not sure why Daily Mail is so endlessly fascinated by Kells.  I kinda doubt anyone else is.  Here she is in Miami with what looks like a much younger guy with badly dyed hair.  Have no idea why she gravitates to these young scraggy-looking penniless hooker dudes, but dat's what Kells seems to go for, eh?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2863176/Kelly-Bensimon-displays-sculpted-legs-casual-little-black-dress-explores-Art-Basel.html

And here's Kells in a bikini & I warn ya, if you've just eaten don't look cuz, well, just don't look-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2863380/Kelly-Bensimon-46-displays-toned-curves-white-string-bikini-takes-dip-rooftop-pool.html

Edited by ScoobieDoobs

Not sure why Daily Mail is so endlessly fascinated by Kells. I kinda doubt anyone else is. Here she is in Miami with what looks like a much younger guy with badly dyed hair. Have no idea why she gravitates to these young scraggy-looking penniless hooker dudes, but dat's what Kells seems to go for, eh?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2863176/Kelly-Bensimon-displays-sculpted-legs-casual-little-black-dress-explores-Art-Basel.html

And here's Kells in a bikini & I warn ya, if you've just eaten don't look cuz, well, just don't look-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2863380/Kelly-Bensimon-46-displays-toned-curves-white-string-bikini-takes-dip-rooftop-pool.html

Yikes!!!

Why is that mag gushing about her figure so much?! She's got no defined waist whatsoever, her foobs are wonky and the constant tanning makes her wide, ripped torso look like a stick of beef jerky.

No thanks, I'd much rather have my curvy pasty-white body than that "envious" figure of hers any day of the week. She's just so mannish looking!

• Love 5

I'm so going to hell, but what the fuck happened to Kelly's body?!?!? I never been able figure out what is going on. How can you look muscular and lumpy at the same time? And not all of the lumps look like they should even be there! I don't remeber her from her modeling days so are we looking at really bad plastic surgery or is all that natural. She's just so off. It's like her body is a physical representation of her personality; wrong and unattractive but oddly fascinating.

• Love 6
Not sure why Daily Mail is so endlessly fascinated by Kells.

The Daily Mail is inexplicably intrigued by the Real Housewives shows and has featured articles on them I've not seen in US publications. Veevs has been featured in two photo essays and it's skeevy to imagine that she invited a camera crew to swing by the inn where she and Reid were supposedly spending a romantic getaway weekend. And the "family vacation" pics were little more than a vehicle to show off Veevs' bikini body. All the more ridiculous when you see how covered-up the rest of the fam is...and how she's wearing heels in the pool area.

At least Kelly's shots were candid and not staged. If I wanted camera crew to tag along on a romantic weekend with my husband, he'd shut that down immediately.

• Love 1

Yeah, but I mean c'mon, are these people at Daily Mail smokin' crack or what?  Not only are these pics not in the least bit hot -- sheesh, there are deep lines all across Kelly's stomach -- but it looks like she's got a penis, she's carrying around in those baggy bikini bottoms.  And a rather large penis at that.  Kelly, ya fuckin' lunatic, it's time to cover up, hun.  Look, she's def in good shape -- well, except for dat icky thick middle, that is.  But all those years spent in the sun have caught up with her.  And this parading around like she's 20 is just so loony & really creepy.  Ah, my eyes, my eyes are burning, burning looking at dat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2863985/Kelly-Bensimon-shows-toned-figure-blush-pink-two-piece-continues-Miami-getaway.html

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 4

For all of her wack-a-do strangeness I think Kelly is pretty well connected in the fashion and publishing world. I could actually see her as the type that is better with very superficial friendships anyway, sort of a facebook-friends type, that probably works well in small doses at very schmoozy parties. I can see her being popular with the publishing/editorial set. Plus the seemingly friendly connection to her influential ex-husband (I get the feeling he's still involved in her life as a sort of daddy figure) well I can see how she gets dumped onto the "say she's hot because she's one of us" pile. To me Kelly is living proof of the sad fact that often connections get you further in life than brains or talent.

• Love 3
For all of her wack-a-do strangeness I think Kelly is pretty well connected in the fashion and publishing world.

I think she get invites to parties cuz of the ex.  She doesn't seem to have any friends.  As exhibited over & over on the show, she's NOT a nice woman.  She seems to know how to be friendly for a few minutes, but after that she's in trouble.  She does seem to be a good mom.  So I'll give her dat.  But this parading around in a bikini -- so oblivious to how horrible she looks?  She's still quite the nutcase.  I suspect these young rent-a-dudes she's always with can't take her nuttiness for too long -- no matter how much of the ex's alimony/settlement dough she throws at 'em.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

Wow.

It is so much easier to believe that Columbia had "relaxed" its standards than to believe that Kelly actually met Columbia standards.

Wow.

Because Columbia does relax their admission policy for their General Studies program.  They just do. There is nothing wrong with it, but the requirements are simply not the same.

For example, to get into the GS program, the gpa requirement is lower, and even their suggested gpa is not a requirement for the program.  They will also accept students who have a GED but have life experience, like working in a professional capacity or have taken some college courses.  

Kelly got into the Columbia GS program because of her interview and "professional" work.  It wasn't because she had high SAT scores or a stellar gpa.

Here are the faqs:

https://gs.columbia.edu/admissions-faqs

If you wanted to attend Columbia University outside the GS program (which is really their continuing education program), the guidelines would not be this relaxed.

Edited by CatMomma
  • Love 2
Because Columbia does relax their admission policy for their General Studies program.  They just do. There is nothing wrong with it, but the requirements are simply not the same.

I was part of a graduate program at Harvard Extension School, which similarly had different standards. Anyone could take classes at the Extension School, but if you wanted to matriculate into a degree or certificate program, there were requirements. You had to take 2 or 3 core courses and get at least a 3.0 GPA. Extension schools and GS programs get an unfair rap, but I found the courses and expectations to be quite challenging, and the instructors were universally great.

Extension/GS programs attract a lot of non-traditional college students (i.e., older people, people who work full-time, parents, etc.). And I can attest that they're not all ditzes like Kelly :) 

• Love 2

I just saw part of the Millionaire Matchmaker episode featuring Jill's daughter Ally and holy shit, Jill came across as so desperate for attention and camera time that you'd think she was the one trying to get set up on a date.  I was actually embarrassed for her and I can't stand the woman.

• Love 1

Alex and Simon didn't do too bad:

Alex McCord and her husband, formerly social climbers on “Real Housewives of New York,” have sold the Brooklyn town house that marked them as déclassé among the housewife elite in Manhattan. They’ve relocated to Australia with their young sons.

Their old home, which went for $2.695 million, is tucked between Brooklyn’s trendy Boerum Hill and Cobble Hill neighborhoods. Built in 1901, the property is configured as a three-family home, with 6 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms.

The owners’ section has 3 bedrooms, including a master bedroom that opens via a bi-fold glass wall onto a landscaped yard. It features a bathroom, a half bath and a master bath that needs to be completed, as well as an office and a media room with radiant heat.

The top floors hold rental units, including one that is occupied by a tenant with rent control.

Although McCord, a self-described “professional loudmouth with inappropriate friends,” no longer has her New York ZIP code, she bucked housewife tradition and kept her husband, Simon.

I have a grudging respect for Alex in the way that she has dealt with her post-RH period because as obsessed as she was with the connection (and likely still is IMO) she seems like she's moved on in a way that Jill hasn't been able to do. Just the fact that they're willing to relocate and seemingly have a quiet life where they aren't looking for other Couples Therapy-type opportunities seems like a vast improvement  on the fame-hungry, attention seeking couple that they used to be (and probably still are on some level) so I wish them and their kids well.

I take this all back of course if Alex ends up on RH of Melbourne or some other reality show about their life in Australia. ;-) 

• Love 3

So this falls under the none of our damn business category, but still.... Does anyone know if Jill was in AA or if she doesn't drink for some other reason like maybe somebody in her life had a problem or she really doesn't like the feeling of being drunk or a medical condition? If she did have an alcohol problem I'm guessing she's been sober a looooong time since she seems sort of over it and not bothered by being around drinking.

• Love 1

So this falls under the none of our damn business category, but still.... Does anyone know if Jill was in AA or if she doesn't drink for some other reason like maybe somebody in her life had a problem or she really doesn't like the feeling of being drunk or a medical condition? If she did have an alcohol problem I'm guessing she's been sober a looooong time since she seems sort of over it and not bothered by being around drinking.

I had forgotten that Jill didn't drink.  Ya know, I'm so tired of the addiction storyline in BH that it dawns on me that, with the exception of Sonja and Ramona getting their drink on occasionally, addiction isn't an issue in NYC, is it? No matter how any of them behave on vacation, I wouldn't call any of them alcoholics. Another reason to look forward to NYC.  (And sorry, but I don't have any idea why Jill is a teetotaler.)

I had forgotten that Jill didn't drink. Ya know, I'm so tired of the addiction storyline in BH that it dawns on me that, with the exception of Sonja and Ramona getting their drink on occasionally, addiction isn't an issue in NYC, is it? No matter how any of them behave on vacation, I wouldn't call any of them alcoholics. Another reason to look forward to NYC. (And sorry, but I don't have any idea why Jill is a teetotaler.)

Agreed! BH is about nothing but calling other castmembers alchoholics or addicts. I always liked that for the most part the NYC ladies handle their business. Even the way Jill handles not drinking shows this. I think she mentioned not drinking once or twice, but it was in a totally low key way where I couldn't tell if she abstained entirely or if she's one of those people who rarely drinks. It wasn't until some story about her going to a AA meeting with a friend that was dropped quickly that it clicked with me that she really doesn't ever drink at all. But it was never a big issue.

• Love 1

So apropos of nothing, anyone remember the WWHL one on one with Jill?  I know she asked Any why she was fired but I don't remember the answer.  I do remember him talking about how Jill came to his office and pitched this story idea about fighting with Bethenny and Andy told her it was a bad idea and don't do it.  At the time I thought that was a cruel idea.  Pretend fight but don't tell your friend it's all pretend.  But that wasn't the reason she was fired, or was it?

• Love 1

She wouldn't address it when Ramona brought it up at the reunion. I wondered if her first husband (Ally's father) is the one In AA and she didn't want to upset her kid by over sharing. Jill's not known for keeping quiet or being especially nice* but she seems to adore her daughter.

*I really liked Jill in the early seasons. How things change....

• Love 1

I haven't liked her since season 1episode 1, when she was aghast that Ramona didn't invite her to house. I thought she felt so entitled. She proved me correct.

I haven't liked her since season 1episode 1, when she was aghast that Ramona didn't invite her to house. I thought she felt so entitled. She proved me correct.

I forgot about that. Wasn't she mad because she had introduced Lu to Ramona?

I am enjoying the marathon of RHNY right now.  I won't get a thing done.  

"I'm feeling the heat, feeling the heat."  "Well, then, take your toys and go play!"  "You are here and I am here."  

Thank you for reminding me how happy I am to not see Jill Zarin/Susan Saunders ever again.

Out of curiousity and wanting a good giggle I went to Jill's FB page.  She's now a Director/Actress:

"Jill Zarin is one of the most successful and requested reality television stars in the entertainment business. She is also the founder of Skweez Couture."

And you can visit her at Whole Foods.

Edited by Lablover27
  • Love 3

I did too. Jill was very nice to connect Alex and Simon to her friend who owned (not sure if that's the correct term, but it's the one Jill used) a private school (I want to say Claremont but don't remember). I remember Alex's eyes getting huge when Jill offered and then talking about how Jill proved to be a very useful connection. LOL…I'd forgotten how transparent Alex was in S1 for her desire to make the right connections. (I knew it was there, but had forgotten about how she herself articulated it and that there was no mistaking her motive.)

But it also made me think that maybe Alex was a bit too hard on Jill in subsequent seasons, and I can't believe I'm writing that. I think Jill did try and was doing the mother hen thing that she likes doing, and Alex got overly sensitive about Jill's joking comments about her kids. (Based on some of Francois' antics, cracks about him crawling up someone's leg is pretty small potatoes.)

• Love 2
She is also the founder of Skweez Couture.

I remember Jill dissing Heather appearing on RHoNY, saying "they got someone who does undergarments, just like me." Yes, Jill, Heather jumped on your bandwagon. (Or maybe she meant that Heather was supposed to be the substitute Jill Zarin, like the two Darrens on Bewitched, and no one was supposed to notice!)

No idea on how the company's revenues stack up, but Yummie Tummie's FB page has 21,904 likes to Skweez's 5,131. Yummie at least has more buzz.

• Love 4

"Jill Zarin is one of the most successful and requested reality television stars in the entertainment business. She is also the founder of Skweez Couture."

How the hell is personal success measured for reality TV?  Whoever appears in the most reruns wins?

• Love 2

I never minded Alex and Simon as both of them were educated and well spoken (and seemed happy with each other) but they sometimes took the whole "we aspire" too far. Remember when Alex had the decorator over during renovation and rambled on about how she looked forward to the boys being able to take down a volume of Charles Dickens and recline on the hassock? Cut to F and J lying on the sofa in front of a blaring TV with a gimme-some-Cheetos attitude.

It bugged me that Alex was ever-willing to defend Sonja, Ramona and Beth when they were under attack but none of them really stepped up on her behalf. This was especially noticeable at the brunettes vs blondes reunion and also why I will never fully like Lu. She was just vicious then.

• Love 4

Jill Zarin, Jill Zarin, Jill Zarin........testing (remember when she did that?) thanks for the laugh. Looks like she writes her own copy. The most successful and requested reality star? WTF does that even mean?

• Love 1

Thank you for reminding me how happy I am to not see Jill Zarin/Susan Saunders ever again.

Heehee, I'm surprised no one reg'd here or at TWoP as Susan Saunders. Jill's pucker hole would be in a permanent state of twitch every time she checked the site(s).

• Love 3

Heehee, I'm surprised no one reg'd here or at TWoP as Susan Saunders. Jill's pucker hole would be in a permanent state of twitch every time she checked the site(s).

I know.  I can never ever forget Amazongate.  That shit was too fucking funny.  I remember when it was all going down and Jill was getting deeper and deeper in her own shit.  Even I was embarassed - just a little bit - for her.  She got caught with her Skweez's down.  Just because I loved this drama so much ... here's a recap of Jill Zarin/Susan Saunders for anyone who missed out on all the fun...just google Jill Zarin Susan Saunders for a giggle or, if you are bored I copied and pasted for ya ;)  Just priceless Jill.  Basically, Jill logged in under a fake name, Susan Saunders and went after a reviewer on Amazon.  She got caught = down the toilet, Skweez's and all.

http://www.realitytea.com/tag/jill-zarin-susan-saunders/

Amazon Gate #AmazonGate

Perhaps this is what put Jill Zarin on the map for most hated Housewife — Ms Chandler at the time was Amazon’s #1 Reviewer, (Jill) after being turned down by the Daily Beast  to leave a positive review for, Secrets Of A Jewish Mother because “everyone does it says Zarin” – everyone may do it Jill, however, it’s not smart to ask a reporter who is not your friend!

Jill Zarin did not give up —  Jill mailed her book to Amazon to be reviewed by Ms. Chandler.  Rather to reiterate it all, Ms. Chandler can tell you what happened.  Sadly, the review is no longer up because it took focus off of what Amazon review pages focus on: Reviews – thousands of viewers voiced their disgust with Jill Zarin.

Quick Brief before the actual review..

This is the comment that sparked outrage from an account “Susan Saunders”

Susan Saunders

After looking into the “Susan Saunders” account, it appeared to be Jill Zarin.. Susan Saunders has a wish list page of items for “Bobby”  and “Allyson” – Jill just happens to have a husband named Bobby and a daughter named, “Allyson” also known as “Alley”

snip

ChicagoTVChick also mentions;

• She [Jill] had a friend on the site named David Zarin (the name of Bobby Zarin’s

brother).

• Saunders had given a 5-star review of an episode of The Real Housewives of

New York.

“The outcry was that Jill Zarin was Susan Saunders. Jill denied this at first saying it must have been a “crazy fan.” Reporter Ted Kruckel of Bizbash.com asked  Jill in August 2010 if there was any truth that she had asked Daily Beast interviewer, Doree Shafrir, to post a positive review on Amazon, and was later caught posting  positive reviews of herself. He writes:  “She had a bunch of different answers. My faves: ‘Everybody does it,’ ‘I haven’t yet commented on that’ and finally ‘The reviews came from my account.  “That’s all I’m saying.’”

Jill called Alana Chandler ANTISEMITIC for daring to not give a glowing review; take a look at the review for yourself – as I stated above, the original review is no longer up;

The review that the  Amazon #1 Reviewer (Poor lady) gave Jill. (Updates are included)

1,332 of 1,465 people found the following review helpful

1.0 out of 5 starsWhat I expected to be warm and fuzzy was cold and calculating, April 15, 2010

By

Chandler

This review is from: Secrets of a Jewish Mother: Real Advice, Real Stories, Real Love (Hardcover)

6-11-10 Jills Blog update: She said “J.Samples is not me on Amazon.” No, we never said J.Samples was, though some speculated. “SUSAN SAUNDERS”, most now know, was the pseudonym you’ll read about below that was found, via website investigators, to come from Jill Zarin’s Amazon account & was used to threaten negative reviewers and post positive reviews. No denial there.

Former update: The website Zap2it just published a great article about Jill Zarin, the author threatening honest reviewers (including me, both here and in a private email threatening me and my cat as insane as that sounds), as well as the websites who busted her writing her own 5 star reviews. If you go to that website just search for “Jill Zarin Amazon-gate” and it should come up. I can’t post links here.

Original update: much has happened after I wrote this review. As you will see in my comments section under my review, someone going by the name of Susan Saunders threatened to have my pet taken because of the bad review and also in a threatening email. Since then, it was uncovered by others that this reviewer was actually Jill Shapiro Zarin herself and she then, coincidentally, removed the 5 star review(s) she wrote for the book (all 15 of them, uncovered as family and friends). Someone took screen shots prior to deletion of her threat and five star review and it can be found on the website called RealityTea as well as many others. How the websites found out? She changed her profile name but forgot to change her personal information in her wish list from 1999 and beyond mentioning that she is the very Jill Shapiro (name when account was created in her maiden name before 99) with birthday November 30th (she just changed her birthday today on her Facebook) in NY NY mom of Ally Shapiro, wife to Bobby Zarin with many gifts for them added through the years and added family member David Zarin. (There’s more damaging info in my next update, below.) So I now know I was threatened by the author. After this, someone else (and later, me) researched any full name of the five star reviewers and you can see in their comments sections most were determined to be relatives and close personal friends via family pictures on the internet etc, (update: many were deleted after I wrote that sentence.) In all of my years of reviewing, I have never seen this happen or been threatened, much less by an author.

Fortunately, although we are now up to 15 five star reviews erased to try to cover this, there is still proof of this on several websites such as gawker and reality tea. Look in my “comments” section under this review and you will find the comments by Susan Saunders. This was the account she used, created on or before 1999 when the first wish list items were added by Jill under her maiden name. The two items she reviewed (one 3 years ago) coincidentally, is the Real Housewives dvd set which she reviewed back in 2008 (this profile is not something new just created by a “crazy fan”, unless they knew in 1999 when she added the first gift for Bobby Zarin on her wish list, that she was writing a book in 2010) In her review of the Real Housewives DVD she said Jill Zarin was the only reason she watched the show and they’d better keep her on it, and you can also see where she reviewed this book the day of its release then erased the review after all this came out and she was busted. Interestingly, the only 2 things she ever reviewed. Trying to erase the evidence, did not erase this, fortunately.

Now then, back to the original review:

I assure you I went into this with an unbiased review. I did my research and read cover to cover.

First, the relationships chapter basically relates that one should settle…IF he has money. Seriously??? That is a strong premise of the book in many areas…you should marry someone not who you love equally but who “loves you more than you love him”, you “should be in charge of the purse strings or you will never be happy”, etc.

Ironically, on friendship in the book the author suggests that if something happens to hurt your friendship, you should ask for forgiveness 3 times. If that doesn’t work, you need to move on because the sin is on the person who wouldn’t accept your apology and you’ve done all you can. I agree with that. Yet it’s not hard to read about the main author (according to font billing size, Jill Zarin) being down right dirty to a friend who tried to apologize/discuss a predicament and was refuted coldly and rudely by Jill 3 times on camera. Interesting. The sin is on Jill. However, now that the book is out and there are book sales to be made, Jill said she now wants forgiveness for not forgiving (yes, confusing, I know). She is saying she can’t believe this friend will not accept her happily now that it’s convenient for Jill to befriend her again and Ms. Zarin mentions her “hurt” over that…Your book advice says someone in her shoes should move on, Jill. (she asked 3 times and now the sin is on you because you refused her outright tearful begging.) You said “We’re done” 3 times. Plus you called her a “moron” in an interview last week for asking why she was on speaker phone. That doesn’t show that you really want forgiveness, especially because you also said today in an interview that next year will be better without Bethenny on the show because she sucks the oxygen out of the air when she is in a room. Probably two reasons why she doesn’t think you are sincere. Just sayin. How can I follow this advice you write if you yourself think it’s bogus and won’t follow it or openly treat people not in a way a loving “mom figure” exudes to others?

Also, she said in an interview that her daughter is only allowed to fall in love with/or date a certain category of person. I had a hard time with that one too. I don’t think that’s a loving Jewish mother who should, instead, just want her daughter to be happy and find someone who adores her, works hard, doesn’t cheat, doesn’t have addictions, and is a great dad and her daughter adores too? What happened to wanting that for your kid instead? But she isn’t even allowed to DATE someone like that if he doesn’t fit YOUR main goal on what you say will make her life “easier”? For shame.

The book on bulldozing what your child wants in a mate in order to get what you want in a son-in-law, for example, from Lisa: “Of course, my kids would never let me fix them up — they’re still too young to be desperate enough to have their mother set them up on a blind date. But not to worry … I’m out there looking any­way. Who said I needed their permission?”

I hate giving undeserved one star reviews so I had to see for myself if all I read about their “do as I say, not as I do” approach was true as everyone seems to note….because if they actually put together some advice that’s untried or they themselves don’t even believe in, it knocked the book down a notch. So I did research this.

Now back to advice: Her dieting overview just isn’t healthy, nor does it really address the underlying issues of weight gain since she suggests pouring your drink on the food you don’t want to overeat. Not only would most in this economy not see the beauty of that (you COULD also ask the waiter to just box up half in a to go box before it’s served), but I can imagine this one when eating out. Don’t want to be tempted by the rest of your fries on that big order? Pour your glass of wine on it…money is no matter on what that costs…and let the waiter wipe it up, y’all! Wipe away before it gets on your dress! Zarin lovingly dubs the “empty your glass onto your plate or bowl in a restaurant diet” in the book as “Killing your food to stay thin”. I am guessing there won’t be a popular diet book to follow this one or waiters across the US will retaliate, as will all the 5 star restaurants who have to clean all those white tablecloths after Zarin’s food-killing-eating-out suggestion. Bad manners, unkind to waitstaff, disgusting for fellow tablemates to observe, unhealthy eating advice.

How to attract and nab a man? Zarin says it’s not gonna happen unless you wear bright colors. I kid you not. Give the readers some credit here that they are a notch above peacocks or fish because:

1. Ms. Zarin, I respectfully beg to differ. Inner beauty should be worked on first since a mean, negative, dirty and spiteful person dressed in hot pink isn’t gonna fool anyone. If all you had to do to woo someone was to distract them with bright colors then women should wear glitter and all men would be hypnotized. Silly.

2. Angelina Jolie wears mostly black. Enough said.

They are so adament about color that the book says you should NEVER wear black, ever, to anything. Yet everytime they come on tv to talk about the book, one of the authors is in solid black. I don’t get it. Do THEY buy into anything here?

Some of this stuff simply makes no sense to an educated reader.

The book is actually very negative though as well. The authors fight amongst each other and use personal stories to illustrate points…all which seem to be laced with martyrdom. Because of this, I don’t feel it an appropriate motherly pleasure to read or gift..

I wanted to find this warm and loving but it seemed more like a doctrine in many cases that isn’t loving and could be detrimental on several levels. Not to mention it’s been widely reported that it’s for show rather than actual advice the authors themselves believe. Too, the one who worked on getting it published billed her name in larger font size on the book than her mom’s name which was kind of supposed to be advice mainly from her mom, Gloria. Although the book denotes advice from all 3 authors, Zarin notes that it is garnered from all her mom taught her and her sister and then all the writing was compiled and put together by Zarin’s sister, the third author. I would have expected her mom’s name to be billed largest, or her sister’s because of this, yet the name “Jill Zarin” is about 3-4 times the size of mom or sister on the book cover…Ah well…I guess this book isn’t meant to be seen as an equal effort by the 3 writers.

Or someone just feels a bit more “special”.

I’d say be leery and don’t make your daughter marry a rich guy she isn’t attracted to in spite of this advice. If you marry for money, you earn every penny of it because it won’t be easy in any other way other than financially. And learning to eat healthy could be a better skill than wasting wine and the half of steak left on your plate. Nor is it very classy to do that practice in public or at dinner parties. And don’t put out a book and publicly do everything important in an opposite fashion than you preach.

Now there’s some advice backatcha. :-)

Also, don’t look for insights into Zarin’s show in any way herein or the public drama we’ve seen or heard about. It’s not here. The book concentrates on the 3 author’s experiences not what you see occuring now.

The book price was cut more than 50% after one day (and this is a hardback cover too) after the advance reviews in the papers were out and the book was actually found prior to it’s release in the discount bookstores and now the publisher has dumped what they are already forseeing as an “overstock” of what they printed on the Overstock website. I looked and it is indeed on the Overstock website which is normal to go there after the book has been out for months–but when it happens 3 days after it’s release, while the authors are still doing publicity book tours, the price is sure to go down more—I’d advise waiting if price matters in this economy since the publisher is already expecting to have a large overstock from it’s first printing by the looks of dumping it there after 3 days. I think readers have a bit more clarity than was initially expected into this being filler material rather than eye-opening and believable, I’m sorry to say and that’s the REAL secret.

Ok, to be fair I’ll add some positives: It goes into good detail teaching the Jewish religion to those who may not know, and does give you a glimpse into the lives of the authors, and is a bargain price for a new hardcover.

And a final update? At the website thedailybeast Jill asked the REPORTER to post a glowing review under a pseudonym. This was before “Amazongate” ever happened. She reported on it.

I already have my proof that Zarin is Susan Saunders. Now she says she isn’t some random other reviewer? Red Hering. The name on her account was SUSAN SAUNDERS. And so she says she isn’t J. Samples? What did I tell you months ago? That she would probably create another account after the Susan Saunders Amazongate was uncovered, bring attention to it by behind crazy, (which happened under the J Samples name all over the net) then say “I am not this second account, J. Samples”— but never address nor deny the original account, Susan Saunders?”

Edited by Lablover27
  • Love 1

Season 3 just started and I am amazed at how quickly Jill and Luann ganged up on Ramona. They went from having a good time to holding her responsible for something Mario said when Ramona wasn't even there. And when she tried to tell Luann that she should address that with Mario, Jill got all offended and they are acting like it was Ramona who insulted them. Cut to Jill and Luann meeting up with Kelly and telling them how out of line Ramona was. Ramona didn't call Luann Countless - Mario did. Ramona wasn't even there she heard about it second hand. 

This was my favorite season of all of the NY seasons. Jill picking a fight with Bethenny without warning her that would be their story line. Jill trying to make Kelly the new Bethenny. Ramona and her renewal. Scary Island. I'm so excited to watch this season again.

• Love 2

OMG, Kelly just explained how wearing fur was not anti-PETA.  She is absolutely against abusing animals but fur is not abusing them or some such nonsense.  Gosh she's nuts.  

• Love 2
The most successful and requested reality star? WTF does that even mean

Jill would have been perfect on Celebrity Apprentice since Trump is prone himself to making these over-the-top statements which anyone with access to Google to disprove. Oh wait…was she even asked? There are TONS of shows Jill could go on. She's done Celebrity Wife Swap. I guess she would say that she's "in high demand but very choosy about where she invests her time and energy." 

OMG, Kelly just explained how wearing fur was not anti-PETA.

But on a reunion show Kelly explained how her opinions evolve from day to day and that it's her prerogative to change her mind. Okay then! My favorite was her assertion that she didn't eat sugar, but explained that she eats gummy bears and jelly beans because they're "fun candy." (Aren't most things with high sugar content fun? :))

• Love 2

Jill would have been perfect on Celebrity Apprentice since Trump is prone himself to making these over-the-top statements which anyone with access to Google to disprove. Oh wait…was she even asked? There are TONS of shows Jill could go on. She's done Celebrity Wife Swap. I guess she would say that she's "in high demand but very choosy about where she invests her time and energy."

But on a reunion show Kelly explained how her opinions evolve from day to day and that it's her prerogative to change her mind. Okay then! My favorite was her assertion that she didn't eat sugar, but explained that she eats gummy bears and jelly beans because they're "fun candy." (Aren't most things with high sugar content fun? :))

Oh Kelly. Kelly, Kelly, Kelly. The thing about Kelly, which would make her a nightmare for me to deal with, is she's really stupid and also very aggressive and bossy. I think what she meant by the fun candy thing is that she wasn't eating bread. That season was right at the intersection of Atkins and gluten madness. It was truly salad days of random dieting theories that only made sense if you didn't look to close. I think she meant she was doing a low-carb diet, but would indulge in fun candy sometimes. But it's Kelly so it doesn't make any sense and Kelly is kind of a spoiled brat so she feels totally justified just yelling her nonsense at everybody without any justification. She's like dealing with a college sophomore yelling about how shallow everybody is at thanksgiving...forever.

• Love 1