Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/9/2022

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, GloccaMorra said:

It was reported earlier this season that Ana is actually an employee of CNN, and they allow her (per her contract) to do this 'side gig' on 'The View' for so many days per month. She's making an excellent paycheck from both networks for doing it this way.  If she were to leave CNN and go to 'The View' full time, she would be taking a paycut. She's making more money this way. 

And I doubt it's just the money.  If I'm not mistaken she does CNN remotely.  She has a life and a husband in Miami.  To be on the View full time she would have to be in NYC at least five days a week unless she worked out a Whoopi deal and only worked four days. That is a lot of traveling.  Ana is close to my age.  Her husband is older.  She is probably looking to have more downtime and I can't blame her.  

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

And I doubt it's just the money.  If I'm not mistaken she does CNN remotely.  She has a life and a husband in Miami.  To be on the View full time she would have to be in NYC at least five days a week unless she worked out a Whoopi deal and only worked four days. That is a lot of traveling.  Ana is close to my age.  Her husband is older.  She is probably looking to have more downtime and I can't blame her.  

Ana turned 50 on December 28.  She's the second youngest at the table - Sara is the youngest. 50 is not old - as a journalist (or commentator) that is her job to travel around for her job, not settle in at the age of 50. Barbara Walters worked until her mid-80s. Other female journalists are well into their 70s and traveling all over getting stories, doing special reports, and other jobs. That's part of the territory in the career Ana is in. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GloccaMorra said:

Ana turned 50 on December 28.  She's the second youngest at the table - Sara is the youngest. 50 is not old - as a journalist (or commentator) that is her job to travel around for her job, not settle in at the age of 50. Barbara Walters worked until her mid-80s. Other female journalists are well into their 70s and traveling all over getting stories, doing special reports, and other jobs. That's part of the territory in the career Ana is in. 

But is Ana a journalist?  Any time I have seen her travel it's been for pleasure.  I'm not putting her out to pasture.  I just don't think she wants the grind of a five day a week a job. Especially in a city she doesn't live in.  She seems to be living her best life now and I don't think she wants to change that.

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, GloccaMorra said:

It was reported earlier this season that Ana is actually an employee of CNN, and they allow her (per her contract) to do this 'side gig' on 'The View' for so many days per month. She's making an excellent paycheck from both networks for doing it this way.  If she were to leave CNN and go to 'The View' full time, she would be taking a paycut. She's making more money this way. 

Ana has also stated that she wouldn't move to New York; that she's happy living where she is.

15 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

But is Ana a journalist?  Any time I have seen her travel it's been for pleasure.  I'm not putting her out to pasture.  I just don't think she wants the grind of a five day a week a job. Especially in a city she doesn't live in.  She seems to be living her best life now and I don't think she wants to change that.

No, she's not. She's a lawyer and a pundit.

And yes, she's happy living where she is and doing what she does.

• Love 4

According to WIKI, she's a 'political commentator' and 'contributor' - as I said in my above post 'as a journalist (or commentator),..'

Again, it usually goes with the territory to travel around if she's following a story or 'headlines' to comment on.  

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ana has also stated that she wouldn't move to New York; that she's happy living where she is.

No, she's not. She's a lawyer and a pundit.

And yes, she's happy living where she is and doing what she does.

Not to mention that she and Al are loaded. She has the financial freedom to work out her own schedule.

Great discussion about Twitter today, with Sunny again being the main voice of reason. I think that this is the first time I've heard Whoopi call you-know-who by his actual name. One of Joy's cusses got past the censors! @sugarbaker design, all good reasons to see today's show!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Vanderboom said:

Whoopi seems more incoherent than usual today. She stays away from Twitter but she's also disappointed that Twitter users aren't punished?

Interesting viewpoint. Are you saying that you have to use something to have an opinion on it or just having a pop at Whoopi?

• Love 1
(edited)

Sunny is definitely on a roll nowadays. Good for her. And yeah, Whoopi was back in incoherent mode.

On the fashion front Sara’s look was a tad too “Stumbling in from partying overnight at Xenon in 1981” for my taste. 

I love Sarah Silverman. That is all.

Edited by TimWil
  • LOL 2

Alyssa: "He should be allowed unless he incites violence" -- As Joy said, he already incited violence. Gee, I guess encouraging Congress, the Speaker of the House, and the Vice President to be murdered was just worthy of a one-off suspension... If he incites Congress to be murdered again a 2nd time though--then he should be banned for sure! What kind of disturbed logic...

• Love 18

I wish someone here would have given me a heads up on that gross Sarah Silverman discussion. I was eating. I really hate couple TMI by these celebrities. I do not want to know that kind of stuff. I will never not look at her and see a giant grey bent bristled toothbrush staring back at me. Gross. 

2 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Alyssa: "He should be allowed unless he incites violence" -- As Joy said, he already incited violence. Gee, I guess encouraging Congress, the Speaker of the House, and the Vice President to be murdered was just worthy of a one-off suspension... If he incites Congress to be murdered again a 2nd time though--then he should be banned for sure! What kind of disturbed logic...

UGGGH. Thank goodness for the mute button.

2 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

UGGGH. Thank goodness for the mute button.

It was a fun show overall despite her though. Whoopi watering Joy's flower made me laugh, and then there was one moment in the interview with Silverman where Silverman made a self-deprecating joke. She congratulated Whoopi on the segue from the abortion topic to the show she was there to advertise and said that Whoopi should've said, "Speaking of abortions, let's talk about your new show!" 🤣

• LOL 3

The show was good today, very humorous. The water spritz on Sunny and Joy was funny.  Loved Sarah+H.  She is always a funny time.  But the boyfriend revelation ....Just ewww.  Gross LOL.  And Sara -H wow gorgeous. She looks like a grecian goddess.  Even Whoopi dressed up today.  

Shallow comment - I've noticed a number of women on TV talk shows wearing 1 shoulder tops or dresses. Sara's top today seems more like something you'd wear out to dinner or a show. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Interesting viewpoint. Are you saying that you have to use something to have an opinion on it or just having a pop at Whoopi?

Neither.  I'm saying I don't understand the point Whoopi was trying to make.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/10/2022 at 8:22 AM, bluegirl147 said:

I will cut Whoopi some slack that she probably just said the wrong first name.  However there was nobody at that table or someone in production who didn't catch her mistake and correct it?

A couple of times in the past month Sunny prefaced some of her statements of "facts" with "someone in my ear can correct me", yet she is the first to complain about others with alternative facts.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Shallow comment - I've noticed a number of women on TV talk shows wearing 1 shoulder tops or dresses. Sara's top today seems more like something you'd wear out to dinner or a show. 

Even last week when Paula Faris was on - she wore the one shoulder black dress which looked like she had just returned from 2021's New Year's Eve Party. They look ridiculous for daytime TV.  Even the female weather reporters and news reporters on my local news always dress in skimpy cocktail dresses and party dresses. Why ? In the meantime, their male colleagues (who are the same age) don't wear 'club clothes' - they wear business suits with neckties. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Whoopi seems more incoherent than usual today. She stays away from Twitter but she's also disappointed that Twitter users aren't punished?

I believe she's implying Twitter users who misbehave (such as Trump) are not punished, not all Twitter users.

That's the same as someone who doesn't drive voicing an opinion that those who speed should be punished.  That makes sense to me. You don't have to participate in something to voice your opinion on what the consequences are for bad behavior.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GloccaMorra said:

Even the female weather reporters and news reporters on my local news always dress in skimpy cocktail dresses and party dresses. Why ? In the meantime, their male colleagues (who are the same age) don't wear 'club clothes' - they wear business suits with neckties. 

I've noticed the same on our local channels. If they aren't wearing cocktail type dresses, they wear sleeveless dresses and tops even in winter. So strange. I did notice Paula Faris with the one shoulder top last week. I thought it might be an anomaly, but here is Sara wearing this top. It is pretty, for sure, but it doesn't seem like "daytime" wear. Not everything the ladies wear is that attractive, but usually they have both shoulders covered. :-)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, deirdra said:

A couple of times in the past month Sunny prefaced some of her statements of "facts" with "someone in my ear can correct me", yet she is the first to complain about others with alternative facts.

I think the difference is that she’s making note that she may have it wrong in some way.  Those she criticizes for alternative facts (which isn’t a thing) are stating something that they generally know isnt right but are stating it as a pan actual fact.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

I think the difference is that she’s making note that she may have it wrong in some way.  Those she criticizes for alternative facts (which isn’t a thing) are stating something that they generally know isnt right but are stating it as a pan actual fact.  

At least Sunny does her research and tries to be correct, which is a lot more than I can say for the majority of this season's guest hosts!! 😉

• Love 14
22 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

You left out the best part when she was quoting Jesse Williams' response to the nude pic kerfuffle "It's a body.".  WG looked into the teleprompter (first mistake) and said "It's a boy."  Still apt, but hilarious nonetheless.  Thank goodness for WG and her malaprops!

Silverman was amusing as per usual.  She las looked the same for the past 20 years!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thank you, Sara, for pointing out further implications of overturning Roe. As the mom of a daughter who had an ectopic pregnancy and 3 rounds of IVF before carrying to term I fear for her future and others like her. It’s scary.

”I don’t get the numbers wrong.”  Go, Sunny!

”It’s not your decision!”  Go, Whoopi!

Whoa!  Joy went there with “You’re paid to listen to me!” 🤣

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 14

"SHUT UP PATTI LuPONE!  SHUT YOUR BRASSY MAGNIFICENT TRAP!  I DON'T WANNA HEAR YOU SING! I DON'T WANNA CUT YOUR HAIR, AND I CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU SINGING WHILE I'M CUTTING YOUR HAIR!"

Sorry, I had a "Will and Grace" moment.  

• LOL 5

Ironic that Joy snaps at Sara for interrupting her and goes so far as to call her “I Dream of Jeannie” and then continually interrupts everyone for the next couple of segments.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Haleth said:

”I don’t get the numbers wrong.”  Go, Sunny!

Sunny was just plain rude.  I'm not an Alyssa fan, but she was simply saying Sunny's figures were right (sort of a nice thing to say) and Sunny snapped at her. 

• Love 5

What in the name of heaven was Sunny wearing today.  It look like a wrap dressing gown.  I often wonder if hair/makeup and wardrobe really like her when I see some of the outfits and hairdo's she has this season.  On the other hand, Alyssa seems chic everyday and pageant ready for her closeup.  What a contrast it is to the other end of the table.

2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Sunny was just plain rude.  I'm not an Alyssa fan, but she was simply saying Sunny's figures were right (sort of a nice thing to say) and Sunny snapped at her. 

I think it was in response to Alyssa being patronizing. "Sunny's figures are right....(this time)" is how that comes across. Just like the other day when she said "Sunny has a point," Sunny was a smartalek back at her. It was as if Alyssa was trying to be the arbiter of what's worthy and what isn't, please.

Btw, her smirk today as Sara talked about how IVF will be banned and people who are trying to conceive will no longer be able to was disgusting.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

What in the name of heaven was Sunny wearing today.  It look like a wrap dressing gown.  I often wonder if hair/makeup and wardrobe really like her when I see some of the outfits and hairdo's she has this season.  On the other hand, Alyssa seems chic everyday and pageant ready for her closeup.  What a contrast it is to the other end of the table.

Surely they must pick their own clothes, nobody would dress Sunny in some of the "look at me I buy designer crap" that she wears & nobody else, not to mention what whoopi usually wears. 

As for Alyssa that's the same for most of the Trump groupies we see on tv, if nothing else they usually dress well.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think it was in response to Alyssa being patronizing. "Sunny's figures are right....(this time)" is how that comes across. Just like the other day when she said "Sunny has a point," Sunny was a smartalek back at her. It was as if Alyssa was trying to be the arbiter of what's worthy and what isn't, please.

Btw, her smirk today as Sara talked about how IVF will be banned and people who are trying to conceive will no longer be able to was disgusting.

THANK YOU!!!! You hit the nail on the head exactly of what bugs me about this woman. Smug as the day is long. 😠😠😠😠😠

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

THANK YOU!!!! You hit the nail on the head exactly of what bugs me about this woman. Smug as the day is long. 😠😠😠😠😠

yup.  She was kissing Sunny's ass the whole ep.  Glad she wasn't on for RPDR.  Speaking of...that was awesome!  The drawing of Whoopi was beautiful.  And who can sit still when they're cranking Lady G?  Oh man Joy slayed me in the Lupone segment when she said that's as dumb as saying 'you're paid to listen to me' or something to that affect.  ZING!  When the heckler in the audience said 'we pay your salary' to Patti Lupone.  Sara -H, looking gorg as usual, Sunny are you wearing your bathrobe?  hahahaha lolol.  Great ep

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

At least Sunny does her research and tries to be correct, which is a lot more than I can say for the majority of this season's guest hosts!! 😉

exactly--like this weeks cohost saying biden could get rid of the filibuster on his own. minimal research would have given her the correct answer there, but I guess that's too much work these days?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I didn't see it as patronizing. It seems to me that it is a technique to help establish common ground. You acknowledge something the other person said that you agree with, and then build on it to extend the discussion. Sunny seemed ready to take issue with anything Alyssa said, even something pretty innocuous like this. 

• Love 4

OBSERVATIONS FROM TODAY: 

1. When Whoopi starts off the show with "Let's welcome back to the table our guest cohost for today..." she's really saying "Let's welcome back to the firing squad our victim for today..." 

2. Sorry Whoopi - you're dead wrong about audience members in a theater not paying the actors salaries. The high price I pay  ($300 +) for the ticket for the musical 'Company' certainly does make it's way into Lupone's bank account. I may not be giving her the cash directly in her hands, but I am paying the ticket agent who then turns the money over to the next person, in which eventually the producer receives it and then pays her.  It's called an indirect payment, as it goes through different channels but ends up in Lupone's pocket, as well as other cast and crew members who are part of the show . If no one bought tickets, you'd all be out of a job. 

Furthermore, this is Whoopi claiming that the audience members aren't paying her salary.  The same Whoopi who regularly reminds TV viewers that we're the ones who are paying our elected officials through our taxes. There's no difference between the two - as we're not paying elected officials directly from our checkbook either. 

3.  Joy messed up on Lupone's name, Sara interrupted her and said "She's your people," and giggled. Too bad she didn't tell Sunny that yesterday when they were discussing actor Jesse Williams, who happens to be half black like Sunny. No doubt Sunny would've appreciated the remark "He's your people" and giggled and laughed along with, correct ?  Nahh- Sarah would've been on a month's long unplanned vacation from the show after Sunny would call her out and then complain to the network. 

4. Speaking of Sarah, all those cosmetics which they sell on the show each week - can't she buy something decent ? Her make-up always looks like it came from Family Dollar. 

5. Finally, I have to say this - whenever Sunny talks about her son, it really creeps me out. I think it goes back to when she said how 'sexy' he looked in a bathing suit a few years ago when he was in his young teens (can you imagine if a man said that about his teen daughter?).  And now she gushes over how he's a mama's boy and he believes his mother is 'the love of his life'. Something very disturbing - to me - on how she describes their relationship.  The same 'icky' feeling of when Meghan talked about MyFather all the time, and Trump talked about Ivanka. Eccccccccccchhhhh ! 

• Love 2

Alyssa…those are things that should be in place regardless of Roe…maternal health, child care, parental leave, health care, etc.  Those are things almost all, of not all, first world (and many third world) countries have had for a very long time.  Plus allowing abortion.  It’s not either/or here!  And, it sounds like you basically admitted that, if your party gets Roe overturned as well as a federal ban, there will be a much greater need to beef up foster care because you’ll be forcing women who can’t afford/don’t want children to have them (not to mention those who are victims of rape and nicest ).  So explain to me how your party cares about families and children?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, GloccaMorra said:

2. Sorry Whoopi - you're dead wrong about audience members in a theater not paying the actors salaries. The high price I pay  ($300 +) for the ticket for the musical 'Company' certainly does make it's way into Lupone's bank account. I may not be giving her the cash directly in her hands, but I am paying the ticket agent who then turns the money over to the next person, in which eventually the producer receives it and then pays her.  It's called an indirect payment, as it goes through different channels but ends up in Lupone's pocket, as well as other cast and crew members who are part of the show . If no one bought tickets, you'd all be out of a job. 

Furthermore, this is Whoopi claiming that the audience members aren't paying her salary.  The same Whoopi who regularly reminds TV viewers that we're the ones who are paying our elected officials through our taxes. There's no difference between the two - as we're not paying elected officials directly from our checkbook either. 

What I remembered was Whoopi saying that people vote our elected officials into office therefore they should be accountable.  Although as much as Whoopi hates paying taxes she might have included taxes as well 🙂  The job of an elected official is to directly represent the people of it's district.   

That's a slightly different scenario than buying a tickets.   As stated the connection to the performer is indirect.   Patty s accountable to the producer who pays her salary, not to the audience.   The producer is accountable is to those who buy the tickets.  So if the producer doesn't have a problem with Patty telling people to put on masks or get out, then Patty is not in the wrong.   

Again a total different scenario from an elected official who was voted into positions to represent our best interests.   When they don't do that, it is appropriate to let them know whether that be verbally (respectfully)  or in the voting booth.   

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Alyssa…those are things that should be in place regardless of Roe…maternal health, child care, parental leave, health care, etc.  Those are things almost all, of not all, first world (and many third world) countries have had for a very long time.  Plus allowing abortion.  It’s not either/or here!  And, it sounds like you basically admitted that, if your party gets Roe overturned as well as a federal ban, there will be a much greater need to beef up foster care because you’ll be forcing women who can’t afford/don’t want children to have them (not to mention those who are victims of rape and nicest ).  So explain to me how your party cares about families and children?  

👏👏👏👏👏

• Love 4

Regardless of who pays Patty’s salary the audience member was rude and needed to be taken to task. Just because you bought a ticket it’s not license to disobey the rules. 

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

And, it sounds like you basically admitted that, if your party gets Roe overturned as well as a federal ban, there will be a much greater need to beef up foster care because you’ll be forcing women who can’t afford/don’t want children to have them (not to mention those who are victims of rape and nicest ).  So explain to me how your party cares about families and children?  

Remember also and sadly the babies born with drug or alcohol dependency or damaged by same as not all women change their lifestyle or participate in prenatal care when pregnant. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Decent show today. I get Ana's reaction to Joy because "trauma" initially makes a person think of something very serious, but when it comes to psychology and all that, there is a such thing as little traumas. Really just a memory that sticks with you and impacts your relationship with others (whether it's just one person like a parent or the world in general) is all it really means.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

Gawd, Sunny is a tight ass.  The stress of being her child must be incredible.

Just watching now. Sometimes Sunny is such a pearl clutcher. Just wait til one of her kids moves in with a significant other. 😱

First mention of AANAPI month since 5/2?  Because George Takei was in the house?

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I wonder how much Sunny's kids experience anxiety due to her high expectations of them.  I can understand asking, "Did you do your best?" but if they say no, then telling them you are disappointed doesn't necessarily help them. I think it was Joy who said she should ask if they were disappointed that they hadn't done their best. To me, that is where the growth opportunity is - does a person meet their own expectations of themselves? If not, what can they do to improve? A parent's expectations may not match the child's actual capabilities or personality, and attempting to always meet those expectations can result in damage to the relationship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12