Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/9/2022

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I wonder how much Sunny's kids experience anxiety due to her high expectations of them.  I can understand asking, "Did you do your best?" but if they say no, then telling them you are disappointed doesn't necessarily help them. I think it was Joy who said she should ask if they were disappointed that they hadn't done their best. To me, that is where the growth opportunity is - does a person meet their own expectations of themselves? If not, what can they do to improve? A parent's expectations may not match the child's actual capabilities or personality, and attempting to always meet those expectations can result in damage to the relationship.

Yeah, being Sunny's child sounds like a not so fun experience to me.  Coming home with a B on a test and getting asked if they couldn't have gotten an A and seeing mom show her disappointment in them wouldn't sit well with me.  I wonder were her parents that way with her?  

Hopefully they aren't being judged so harshly by their dad.  

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Yeah, being Sunny's child sounds like a not so fun experience to me.  Coming home with a B on a test and getting asked if they couldn't have gotten an A and seeing mom show her disappointment in them wouldn't sit well with me.  I wonder were her parents that way with her?  

Hopefully they aren't being judged so harshly by their dad.  

Sunny did not make herself look like a good and loving mother today. She sounds withholding and controlling. Her attitude assures that neither of her children will ever go to her with a serious problem because of her harsh judgement.  Ana tried to tell her but Sunny wont listen.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Lifesabeach said:

God dang I would really dislike being part of Sunny’s family.  Her superior attitude is really grating on my nerves.  I admire her legal knowledge and expertise however.

If I needed a lawyer and money was no object, for sure I'd hire Sunny. In addition to being intelligent, prepared and competent, she's a fierce advocate for the underdog. Any other time... probably not so much. 

• Love 1

OBSERVATIONS:

1. Something is up with Sunny - she seems angry and stressed lately. That whole 'disappointment' conversation about her kids, and 'did you do your best'...that tells me Gabriel did not do well at college this  year. It won't surprise me if we soon hear he transferred out of Harvard. Just my guess. 

2. Hey everyone! Guess what month we're celebrating this month but haven't mentioned it since May 2 ? We'll give you a hint...Asian-American actor George Takei is our guest ! Another hint...he's going to discuss his own personal history of growing up in America ! 

3. Poor Adam Glassman. He's morphing into Liberace before our eyes, having Oprah's favorite facial work done to his face. Throw a fur coat over him and put him in front of a piano with a candleabra and call it a day. (Once you see it you can't unsee it).  And why no wooden serving trays today ? Did we run out or do you think we have enough ? 

Off we go to next week, which is the last week of May Sweeps. Let's see how many Garage Sales they will host for viewers. And let's stop auditioning these Trump women, please. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GloccaMorra said:

1. Something is up with Sunny - she seems angry and stressed lately. That whole 'disappointment' conversation about her kids, and 'did you do your best'...that tells me Gabriel did not do well at college this  year. It won't surprise me if we soon hear he transferred out of Harvard. Just my guess. 

Interesting observation, GM, you could be right.  Speaking from my personal experience, I was a good student in high school (top 2% of my graduating class) but my freshman year in college, boy did I PARTY!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GloccaMorra said:

OBSERVATIONS:

Maybe that stick up her ass needs adjusting. 🤷‍♂️

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Interesting observation, GM, you could be right.  Speaking from my personal experience, I was a good student in high school (top 2% of my graduating class) but my freshman year in college, boy did I PARTY!

Thanks ! It occurred to me as she went on and on and on yesterday about whether her kids 'do their best' and 'disappointing her', etc. It seemed like she was holding back something which she isn't ready to share yet, but you could see sadness in her eyes. I won't be surprised if she announces that her kid has failed out of Harvard (though she will say something else, and make him a 'victim' and he had no choice but to leave that school).  It won't surprise me if we will soon hear he 'transferred to Howard University to be with other men of color'. 

Working in a college, I can tell you firsthand - no matter how good a student is in their high school (straight A, valedictorian, etc.), college is a completely different experience. You are now competing with other kids from around the world who were tops in their high school. If you're not cutting it - you're out (especially at an Ivy League school). No matter how much money mom and dad donate to the school, it's the grades which count at an Ivy League. I think this is a lesson for Sunny to learn - quickly. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, GloccaMorra said:

Thanks ! It occurred to me as she went on and on and on yesterday about whether her kids 'do their best' and 'disappointing her', etc. It seemed like she was holding back something which she isn't ready to share yet, but you could see sadness in her eyes. I won't be surprised if she announces that her kid has failed out of Harvard (though she will say something else, and make him a 'victim' and he had no choice but to leave that school).  It won't surprise me if we will soon hear he 'transferred to Howard University to be with other men of color'. 

Working in a college, I can tell you firsthand - no matter how good a student is in their high school (straight A, valedictorian, etc.), college is a completely different experience. You are now competing with other kids from around the world who were tops in their high school. If you're not cutting it - you're out (especially at an Ivy League school). No matter how much money mom and dad donate to the school, it's the grades which count at an Ivy League. I think this is a lesson for Sunny to learn - quickly. 

The first year can be very challenging for students at all levels. If a person has been living with parents who have been deeply involved with their life and schoolwork, being on their own can throw everything off. They experience partying, new friends, even something like being responsible for getting enough rest and getting to class every day.  Also, the requirements for college courses are usually tougher than whatever was expected in high school. A number of people either drop out or decide to go somewhere else. I wouldn't be surprised if Gabriel might decide to transfer to an HBCU, with a face-saving explanation. But you never know - sometimes the first year gives a student a chance to get a clearer idea of what they can do and more importantly want to do and gives them the confidence to do better next year.

• Love 1

I swapped out my DVR yesterday morning and so forgot to record yesterday's episode.  As I do when I miss it, I went to Youtube.  Strangely, the whole episode was there EXCEPT the discussion about Sunny's expectations of her children.  There was only a 20-second clip of Joy saying she doesn't have expectations of her child and asking Sunny if she has expectations of her chickens as well.  I wonder if Sunny asked them not to put it on Youtube.  

Can someone tell me exactly what Sunny said?  I went to the ABC website, but the episode is locked and I'd have to create an account, etc. to get it from my provider.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:30 AM, TimWil said:

On the fashion front Sara’s look was a tad too “Stumbling in from partying overnight at Xenon in 1981” for my taste. 

Happening OFTEN.  What's with her ... or Wardrobe?

On 5/11/2022 at 9:30 AM, TimWil said:

I love Sarah Silverman. That is all.

Me too!  From the very beginning. Every venue!  Loved her book...especially because it was audio and SHE was the narrator.  I'm in my 80s--can she still be my idol?

• Love 3
22 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Sunny did not make herself look like a good and loving mother today. She sounds withholding and controlling. Her attitude assures that neither of her children will ever go to her with a serious problem because of her harsh judgement.  Ana tried to tell her but Sunny wont listen.

Her children may not realize they've been controlled all these years.  YET. They lead happy lives...having everything they want.  Being away from home long enough may allow some drops of resentment to seep in.  We will never hear about it--but it WILL happen.

21 hours ago, Lifesabeach said:

God dang I would really dislike being part of Sunny’s family.  Her superior attitude is really grating on my nerves.

She has been TOO VOCAL about her SUPERIORITY, her constant perfection ... and soon both of her children will have a bit more freedom.  "The world" might challenge them about how controlled their lives have been.

6 hours ago, GloccaMorra said:

Sunny cannot even comprehend that they should be happy about THEMSELVES instead of her.  She has DRILLED that into them.  Pathetic!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

I swapped out my DVR yesterday morning and so forgot to record yesterday's episode.  As I do when I miss it, I went to Youtube.  Strangely, the whole episode was there EXCEPT the discussion about Sunny's expectations of her children.  There was only a 20-second clip of Joy saying she doesn't have expectations of her child and asking Sunny if she has expectations of her chickens as well.  I wonder if Sunny asked them not to put it on Youtube.  

Can someone tell me exactly what Sunny said?  I went to the ABC website, but the episode is locked and I'd have to create an account, etc. to get it from my provider.

Can't tell you exact quotes, but they were talking about expectations and disappointments.  Sunny went on a roll about expecting her kids to do their very best in every endeavor they take on (hint: going to an Ivy League college) and if they don't do their best they disappoint HER.  She also then clarified that they disappoint themselves, but they really disappoint her.   What I think she really meant was they EMBARASS HER after she has bragged about them for the past few years on national TV. 

Again, to me, she wasn't saying it in a concerned way but more of an angry way with a glint of sadness in her eyes. That is when I realized as she was talking that something was probably up with her son at Harvard. My immediate thought was that her son did not do well in his Freshman year, and may not be going back in the Fall. As we've since  pointed out - first year in a college away from home is not always the easiest, and there are a lot of temptations to distract you from doing your best. And - especially at an Ivy League - there's plenty of competition there from other A+ high school grads from around the world. 

So my guess - and this is only my guess - is that either he's not going back in the Fall, and will transfer to Howard or another HBCU (and she will make excuses for him); or, he will probably repeat some classes which will put him back a semester or more and not graduate on time.  Either way, as someone else pointed out, it's going to readjust the stick up her ass. 

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong and the kid did great and will stay at Harvard and graduate on time. But there's something about what Sunny was saying that makes me think the opposite. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Me too!  From the very beginning. Every venue!  Loved her book...especially because it was audio and SHE was the narrator.  I'm in my 80s--can she still be my idol?

Although I've never felt strongly one way or the other about them as individuals, for some reason I've always found it really sad that she and Jimmy Kimmel broke up. Even though it happened about 20 years ago I thought they were such a funny, adorable couple and seemed perfect for each other.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Although I've never felt strongly one way or the other about them as individuals, for some reason I've always found it really sad that she and Jimmy Kimmel broke up. Even though it happened about 20 years ago I thought they were such a funny, adorable couple and seemed perfect for each other.

Same here.  I loved them as a couple and was sad when they split.  

On 5/14/2022 at 7:23 AM, GloccaMorra said:

OBSERVATIONS:

Snip snip

Asian-American actor George Takei is our guest ! Another hint...he's going to discuss his own personal history of growing up in America !  

They so obviously profiled someone for AAPI on the same day Takei was on.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:55 AM, bluegirl147 said:

And I doubt it's just the money.  If I'm not mistaken she does CNN remotely.  She has a life and a husband in Miami.  To be on the View full time she would have to be in NYC at least five days a week unless she worked out a Whoopi deal and only worked four days. That is a lot of traveling.  Ana is close to my age.  Her husband is older.  She is probably looking to have more downtime and I can't blame her.  

I wonder if she stays in a hotel or has an apartment in NYC.  If she only did the View she would probably fly twice a week.  Now throw in CNN. Say they want her on a non-View day.now you're talking three, four, maybe even five flights. That's a tough schedule to maintain.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:30 AM, TimWil said:

Snip snip

Sunny is definitely on a roll.

Sarah Silverman. That is all.

Sunny is starting to give me a mama-Psycho vibe.  Yes Hitchcock.

Yes Sarah rocks.  Did you ever watch her sitcom? Very very funny 

I will say this about Sunny's expectations for her children. I think these were the expectations she was reared with, and the one's she passed onto them. Doing your best and striving for perfection aren't unusual expectations in ambitious families of color, especially from immigrant backgrounds. There is a pressure to excel and exceed expectations. You rep the family AND the culture, and you don't want to let either down. 

No, it's NOT fun or easy, but it is very real. 

Sunny has done very well as a woman of color in a very competitive field. Imagine the balancing act of having to be a good Catholic Latina woman, smart, beautiful, fiercely competitive and successful.  

If her son isn't doing well in school, that's gonna reflect badly on not just on him, but on the family, and perhaps Sunny the most, as the mother. I know all this probably sounds silly and weird to most folk, but family and culture can be a helluva thing. 

• Love 5

A few months ago Sunny was complaining that her son did not respond to one of her (non-urgent) texts for 30 minutes. Does she expect him to answer in the middle of classes, meals with his friends or dates? That would be rude and cause his classmates to make fun of mama's boy.

• Love 1
On 5/14/2022 at 2:11 PM, Gemma Violet said:

I'm quoting myself just to say that, strangely, this segment is now up on Youtube.  The View's Youtube channel had left it out when they posted Friday's shows on Friday and now, four days later, they posted it.  Weird.