Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E13: Top 14 Live Reveal

• Start Topic

Well, I can really feel my interest leaving the show.  I'm always the MOST interested during Hollywood Week, with caring less and less with every subsequent week after that until I just stop watching.

I'm only partway through..... no one is really grabbing me yet.  

I feel bad for Katyrah.  Love the song choice, and she did a good job.  I wasn't knocked out but I liked her better than the others I've seen.

Oh god here we go with that ultra slow depressing version of "I'm Your Baby Tonight" that everyone likes but me LOL. 

Are there themes to the nights, or can they just pick anything?  I assume anything since there seem to be original songs going on.

Did Dan butcher poor Lionel Richie?  I couldn't bear to watch.  What a bold song choice though LOL to say the least!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I feel bad for Katyrah.  Love the song choice, and she did a good job.  I wasn't knocked out but I liked her better than the others I've seen.

I'm rather surprised she's not in the top 10. I'm hoping that she'll be rescued and make it to the top 14. 

I liked Katy's comment that Cameron seemed a lot more toned down in his performance, after getting the news he wasn't in the top 10. I don't feel it was as strong a performance as Katy believed - it sounded like he was mumbling some of the lines a bit (course, that could've been partly my TV, too, the sound is a bit lower on the channel I watch this show on for some reason, so I have to adjust the volume). But it was nice to see him not so...hyper for a change. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Do you know that song @Annber03?  I don't know that song at all (Cameron's).

Nicolina is singing beautifully!

I was not familiar with that song he did, no. I kinda want to check out the original now, though. 

Nicolina sounded lovely. And really, Ryan, you're gonna make a poor kid wait until after the commercials, on his birthday, to find out his results :p?

• Love 3

Okay, I'm liking Jay's pick today way better than yesterday's.  This works better for him.  Poor guy I can't believe he didn't make it.  I didn't love his performance last night and I didn't know that others would agree!

OMG Jacob nooooooooooo!  He should have made it.  I definitely would voted for him for the top 10.

MIKE????? WHAAAATTTTT. but he's so enormous (next to Ryan) and oh so sexy!!!  This sucks.

Why is Katy covering her ears?  Obviously something is wrong with the sound for her but it looks like she hates the performances when she does it LOL!!!!!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Dammmmmmmmmmmn.

Did the contestants have two songs ready to go, one if they were "Celebrating", one if they were presenting to the judges? It sure seemed like it but I fast forwarded through all of Ryan's stuff.

DAN MADE THE TOP 10??!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!  OH MY F'ING GOD.

The judges' picks:

Allegra?  Wtf?  Seriously?
Jay, okay good.
Mike OKAY GOOD YES YES YES.

I'm really shocked that Tristen and Cameron were not popular enough to make it to the top 10 on their own mostly because they are so wild and different from everyone else and memorable.  Maybe Cameron's personality really did turn off people.  I didn't like Tristen's choice last night, but tonight was way, way better.

I am personally the most sad about Jacob.  Katyrah deserved better and I thought Sage was really good tonight.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

DAN MADE THE TOP 10??!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!  OH MY F'ING GOD.

Seriously, I would've kept Katyrah over one of the country WGWG dudes. Especially since they both sound pretty similar, both to each other and to virtually so many of the male country singers that are out there nowadays.

I am glad that Jay and Mike went through, too, though, yes. I was hoping they would. And I'm not too surprised that Tristen went through -I think his performance of that Lenny Kravitz song really helped push him over the finish line. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

This is a really interesting version of "Creep"... 

Someone had mentioned earlier that some of these singers are going too far away from the melody.  This was a prime example.  It's such a great song, but I barely recognized it.  Christian has an amazing voice--I just wish he would have stuck to the melody more and not do so many runs.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

This is a really interesting version of "Creep"... 

I agree. I didn't like it.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Are there themes to the nights, or can they just pick anything?  I assume anything since there seem to be original songs going on.

I think themes start once they have top 10, or maybe next week, top 14.

Did Dan butcher poor Lionel Richie?  I couldn't bear to watch.  What a bold song choice though LOL to say the least!

I kinda liked it. But I must say I don't like Jacob's version of "Rise." I actually don't like when they repeat a song, especially so soon.

I'm really shocked that Tristen and Cameron were not popular enough to make it to the top 10 on their own mostly because they are so wild and different from everyone else and memorable.  Maybe Cameron's personality really did turn off people.  I didn't like Tristen's choice last night, but tonight was way, way better.

Yeah, I think Cameron's personality did him in. Too bad he realized it too late and started calming down tonight.

As I've said before, and I know I'm in the minority, I think Tristen's personality rubs people the wrong way too. IMO, he comes across as cocky. Maybe he was humbled today with his near-elimination.

I am personally the most sad about Jacob.  Katyrah deserved better and I thought Sage was really good tonight.

I don't like Jacob's or Katyrah's type of music so I'm fine with them leaving. I never warmed up to Sage, so her elimination was fine with me too.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Yeah, I think Cameron's personality did him in. Too bad he realized it too late and started calming down tonight.

As I've said before, and I know I'm in the minority, I think Tristen's personality rubs people the wrong way too. IMO, he comes across as cocky. Maybe he was humbled today with his near-elimination.

I've seen a lot of online comments about Cameron's personality being a turn-off--a lot of "He makes me nervous."  I have to agree.  And the back-flips?  I was always afraid he'd land on his head and hurt himself.  Very distracting.  He did another backflip tonight at the end, but the camera wasn't on him.  

Tristen is a puzzle to me.  Yes, he's a little cocky, but there's something about his looks that puts me off.  It's like his mysterious round face doesn't go with his features, or maybe it's his pasty skin and barely-there facial hair.  I'm not sure what it is.  I like his singing, but he's off-putting to me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Tristen is a puzzle to me.  Yes, he's a little cocky, but there's something about his looks that puts me off.  It's like his mysterious round face doesn't go with his features, or maybe it's his pasty skin and barely-there facial hair.  I'm not sure what it is.  I like his singing, but he's off-putting to me.

Lol. He reminds me of Roseanne Barr.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

I feel bad that Dan got a spot that (in my opinion) should have gone to Katyrah or Jacob, and I have no idea why the judges picked Allegra, but ultimately it won't matter.  None of the judges' choices will get far.  Based on past seasons, people have already made up their minds who they like, and those who didn't get voted into the top 10 this week will not get very far.

• Love 8

The judges' reveals started off so well with Allegra being safe, but WTF @ them eliminating Katyrah, they have to be braindead. But keep fodder like Mike around? WTF??? Even Jay, his performance was easily the worst tonight and that was saying something. I generally have thought the judges have made decent decisions in the Revival, but, man, they've been screwing up nonstop this year, from eliminating Kevin, putting Dan through to the voting rounds (knowing he's both not as good as anyone else but with a voter base skewed in his favor), and now Katyrah. Again, WTF?

Part of me feels they wanted Katyrah to go because the show is pimping Lady K hard (her getting the final spot) and the two probably divide the same demo. If so, they made a mistake because Katyrah is much better than her all around, even with Lady K finally doing decent again tonight. Placement is everything, which is why I wasn't surprised to see the bland Emyrson make it through, because she performed first last night. I guess I was right to feel trainwreck vibes about this season last night.

As for the performances, Nicolina's was the only one that was noteworthy in a positive way (even with it being a repeat). Most of them were decent to poor, except Jay, who was terrible. It was the chorus that killed his performance; reminded me of Danny Gokey shrieking at the end of "Dream On" back in the day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am only angry about Jacob. But man, that is a deep reservoir of rage. WTF. He should have been the first save. Do they think he's too much competition for Christian?

This judge control is kind of insulting at this point. So if you got a platinum ticket, it doesn't matter if America is rejecting you and you're ripping off other reality contestants, you're going to the final rounds. I see a judges' save for Jay as well. 

Jay was less puzzling a save than Allegra. She's very snoozy and a less interesting version of both Emyrson and Eva. I knew Sage was going if Allegra stayed, but I'd have sent both packing. Neither of them seem current. Oh and I'm sorry but Eva basically tanked her performance last night. Yikes.

Katyrah has been great but... you couldn't save her after that off-key mess. I can't understand why judges stand when they know it's bad. 

I love Mike, so I'm glad Luke saved him. He has a better country voice than both Noah and Dan.

Can't really defend saving Tristen at this point. If America didn't vote him through off those performances - which were the top of his bar - he's not getting votes any other way. Jacob would have been a better choice.

This is a great show to be a country singer. 

I still miss the days where we'd see many of these folks for weeks on end as we eliminated one by one. It's so rushed now. To think we'll be done in a month... 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

For this one, Ryan said they could sing a new song or one they have done before. I think I read somewhere that next week the judges are choosing the song and then it's Disney night.

• Love 1

I HATE Disney night!  Lol  I am interested in the judge’s picks.  

I will be glad to get down to a recognizable group as I have a hard time remembering their names so I can’t comment much.  

Nicolina did a great job and hope she doesn’t do Whitney or she is through I think.  

I thought Dan did a terrible job on the first night so was surprised he was in the top 10.  He sounded better last night but nothing overwhelming.  I think he got through the first night because most people (including me) LOVE the song he sang.

I think a lot of the young girls have nice singing voices but have no presence.  They belong in the church choir for the most part.  

• Love 3

It actually made some sense for singers to repeat songs they'd had success with previously. There was no voting last night, and the next show is a week from now, so it's not like it would make a difference in terms of placement; plus some of the audience might be new, so might not have seen the original performance.

I agree that it's almost a given, historically, that the 4 who had to be saved will be the first to be eliminated again. 

Again, Noah makes an admirably strategic song choice. He's either getting (and taking) very good advice from someone, or he's a much more sophisticated person than I had given him credit for.

• Love 8

I think people are sleeping on Emyrson.  I don't know if she will win, but of the girls, she probably has the best chance of a post-show Pop career, like Lauren Spencer Smith, who is also young and has a likeable personality.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I still miss the days where we'd see many of these folks for weeks on end as we eliminated one by one. It's so rushed now. To think we'll be done in a month... 

Yeah, this format is so up and down. All those people who were so excited to make top 20 get one day to be happy before the ax falls. At least with the groups of 8 they used to do, you either made it or you didn't (and a select few got called back for wildcards). I hope they go back to 1 elimination a week soon.

This judge control is kind of insulting at this point. So if you got a platinum ticket, it doesn't matter if America is rejecting you and you're ripping off other reality contestants, you're going to the final rounds. I see a judges' save for Jay as well. 

Yeah, I have yet to see Jay deliver a truly great performance, but I feel like they're so attached to him because of the platinum ticket. Kenedi self-eliminating took out one of their golden children so they're bound and determined to hang onto the other two, even if the audience isn't buying it. 

Jay is definitely TV-ready though, I could see him turning to acting. He's so telegenic and comfortable with the camera. I kinda wish he'd make that leap now because he's taking up a spot despite mediocre performances and the judges are apparently going to hang onto him forever.

I'm starting to like Fritz, his performance last night was very joyful. His messy hair, stretched out sweaters and whatever that thing is near his lip have put me off, but I'm starting to come around. I also like Leah for reasons I can't put my finger on, she just seems like a nice person.

I think people are sleeping on Emyrson.  I don't know if she will win, but of the girls, she probably has the best chance of a post-show Pop career, like Lauren Spencer Smith, who is also young and has a likeable personality.

I had absolutely no memory of her from the prior rounds, so I was surprised to see her go through so handily. She is good though and very pretty, although she is the oldest looking child I've ever seen. If you showed me her picture and told me she was in her 40s, I wouldn't blink. 

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Jay was less puzzling a save than Allegra. She's very snoozy and a less interesting version of both Emyrson and Eva. I knew Sage was going if Allegra stayed, but I'd have sent both packing. Neither of them seem current. Oh and I'm sorry but Eva basically tanked her performance last night. Yikes.

Jay (like Tristen) wasn't puzzling in the sense I knew they would save him, since he's one of their Platinum Ticket winners and it would embarrass them if he went so soon--and with Tristen, they wanted to keep one of the crazy ones between him and Cameron for shock / entertainment value for viewers. Both are puzzling based on talent; Jay may have had potential in his audition, but has failed to show it repeatedly, and Tristen never has.

As for Allegra, I disagree. She reminds me of Maggie Rogers. There have been a lot of contestants that have covered Rogers the past two seasons, or attempted to be like her, but Allegra's probably the first one that I see as truly being similar to her both in vibe and vocals. Btw, on an unrelated note, Allegra looked knock out beautiful last night--the dress, the heels, the hair was all perfect with her skin tone, imo, and without feeling "pageanty" as a skin-tight dress would have. A little prom-ish, maybe. I appreciate a successful fashion moment like that one though, it's pretty rare on a show like this one where the dresses and outfits are often hideous. Ava, for example, looked as if they dressed her as a rock version of the Little Mermaid, lol, and Disney night isn't for a week or two at least.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm very afraid the judges are going to give her that type of song.

After they did it to Grace last year, I am, too. They did not help Grace by doing that; she was better off when she was doing Coldplay, Adele, Ariana, etc. The predictable diva choices only harm the female contestants' chances at this point.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

After they did it to Grace last year, I am, too. They did not help Grace by doing that; she was better off when she was doing Coldplay, Adele, Ariana, etc. The predictable diva choices only harm the female contestants' chances at this point.

I remember judges in the past didn’t think it did contestants any favors to try to sing Whitney.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, sempervivum said:

It actually made some sense for singers to repeat songs they'd had success with previously. There was no voting last night, and the next show is a week from now, so it's not like it would make a difference in terms of placement; plus some of the audience might be new, so might not have seen the original performance.

I agree that it was a good opportunity to sing "for fun" or showcase their original songs, BUT Jacob (and a few others) was singing for his life. 

The judges had heard that song before from him. They're the ones making the decision. Show them something new. Also, seemed like pandering, singing Katy's song again.

4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

She is good though and very pretty, although she is the oldest looking child I've ever seen. If you showed me her picture and told me she was in her 40s, I wouldn't blink. 

(Emyrson) 

Did you see when they showed her mom? She looked exactly like her 40 year old mom! I guess she's an old soul. I like her.

3 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Allegra looked knock out beautiful last night--the dress, the heels, the hair was all perfect with her skin tone, imo, and without feeling "pageanty" as a skin-tight dress would have. A little prom-ish, maybe. I appreciate a successful fashion moment like that one though, it's pretty rare on a show like this one where the dresses and outfits are often hideous. 

I likened Allegra's look last night to a teenager attending her high school Homecoming dance. She looked her age, very sweet and pretty.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, twilightzone said:

I agree with this.

4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Yea, the way they (or maybe it was just Katy) always carried on about how Grace should do that type of music drove me nuts. I loved Grace in large part because she never really took that advice lol. I don't want them to force Nicolina into that like how they've imo forced Mike to sing country.

• Love 3
On 4/18/2022 at 9:48 PM, Gemma Violet said:

I know I've posted this before, but there's something about Tristen that reminds me of Constantine Maroulis, in a creepy way.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 4/18/2022 at 7:39 PM, Blissfool said:

As I've said before, and I know I'm in the minority, I think Tristen's personality rubs people the wrong way too. IMO, he comes across as cocky.

YEP ... and YEP.   His look needs a makeover too.   He's a kid; he can go through lots of changes until he hits on one that ... hits.

• Love 3

Can't say that America's Top 10 was particularly suprising.

The only 3 White Country singers left (Huntergirl, Dan, & Noah). Check.

The two underdogs with huge voices (Christian & Nicolina). Check.  Although I'd have taken Jacob over either of them. This was her chance to finally do a fun, upbeat song because she was voted safe and yet Nicolina gives us her 7 or 8th weepy/torch ballad. Is she capable of singing any other type of song believably? Methinks not.

Two alt-quirky girls in Ava & Leah. Check.

The night before's pimp spot performer, in Lady K. Okay.

Philip Phillips the 4th (Fritz). Check.

A teen prodigy who's 16 going on 33 (Emeryson). Check.

Probably Ava, and Emeryson were the two I was mildly surprised with. Ava has such a harsh, polarizing voice I was a little surprised America jumped on board with her, and Emeryson to me (IMO) makes zero impact. Hasn't in any round all the way back to her audition. Did they soft play her enormous fandom on TikTok??

As for the 4 judges picks, I knew Cameron or Tristen was getting 1 spot just for the weirdness factor. You knew they weren't going to give up on their Platinum Ticket guy this soon so Jay was also a lock. His performance style is getting so desperate and OTT, it's really been off-putting these last couple of songs.

Honestly, because you couldn't have a Top 14 made up of 13 white kids and Lady K...I figured Mike or Katyrah would going to get 1 of the four WC spots. Mike's continued uneven attempts at country were apparently the tiebreaking factor. I will say he was markedly better last night. It finally seemed like he freed himself up to just sing and not be in his head so much. I don't think it will matter, but I think he could give a really good performance next week. And finally Allegra. I would've gone Ellie all day here. Allegra is incapable of enunciation. It's literally ingrained in how she makes certain vowel sounds. She wasn't able to on the Voice a few years ago, and she still isn't on AI...meanwhile Ellie had the prettiest voice in the entire competition. Sigh.

• Love 3

Well, this happened. I am sad that they chose Allegra. I was shocked Katy called her name. Why??? And Jay. I knew they weren't going to let the Platinum Ticket winner go even though he has under performed since his initial audition. I don't know what it is that bugs me about him, but he's swirling the drain at this point. He's just not connecting to viewers.

Maybe I am the only one, but I am also sad my sweet Ellie is out. Yes Lionel, that lane is full, but she has such a calm, sweet presence and that angelic tone that separates her. Boo......

Also bummed they didn't pick Katyrah. She's another one that has under performed since she did that Whitney song, but I still think she's more polished and has a better voice than Lady K who doesn't do anything interesting to the arrangements and picks boring predictable songs. "Bust Your Windows"???? The song that has been used 20,000 times during Hollywood Week on this show? Zzzzz........

Tristen is obviously polarizing, but seeing Dan make the top 10 free and clear when he is so mediocre, boring and generic, it really doesn't surprise me that Tristen didn't. I am glad they saved him - it would be slightly more boring without him there, YMMV......

My top three in order of preference:

1. Nicolina. Maybe the first contestant I have actually been excited about in years. Love her.

2. Ava. Just a cool chick, interesting song choices, cool voice. No way will she win this show.

3. Tristen. I know, I know, not a chance in hell.

I also like Mike and Christian, and I appreciate what Noah is doing, but I hate country, and he has done nothing to shake my feeling he's got this in the bag.

I just loathe Leah and Fritz, so of course, they will probably be top 5. But I will be using the FF on them from here on out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 4/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, Ilovepie said:

Maybe I am the only one, but I am also sad my sweet Ellie is out. Yes Lionel, that lane is full, but she has such a calm, sweet presence and that angelic tone that separates her. Boo.....

I liked her, too -- she was a breath of fresh air. I immediately looked her up on Spotify and will follow her there.

I will be rooting for Nicolina. I don't listen to country so I have no strong opinions on any of them, although I think Huntergirl will be successful in some fashion no matter what and I won't be mad if Noah wins. I don't think Dan deserves to be there.

The rest of them are okay, all talented in their own right, but I don't see any stars amongst them.

• Love 4
On 4/20/2022 at 5:51 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Tristen comes off as too much, which puts people off. Also, someone needs to have a discussion with him about his jewelry and cultural appropriation.

I don't  think Tristen is "too much," but I came of age in the time of Jim Morrison, Robert Plant, Keith Moon, Roger Daltry, and, of course, Mick Jagger. 

I also am absolutely done with the 21st C. concept of "cultural appropriation," particularly  when it comes to what IMO should be the freedom of individual expression in attire, hairstyle, tattoos, jewelry, plastic surgery, music, whatever. All I noticed of Tristen was his black hat. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1
On 4/24/2022 at 2:21 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

I also am absolutely done with the 21st C. concept of "cultural appropriation," particularly  when it comes to what IMO should be the freedom of individual expression in attire, hairstyle, tattoos, jewelry, plastic surgery, music, whatever.

I totally agree with you. 

• Love 1