Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Call Me What The Kat Dragged In

• Start Topic

I called Nick being Kat’s new landlord in the thread for next week’s episode. 

I’m glad Randi & Carter were able to resolve their issue. Sweet that Rani has a photo of her with Kat & Phil on her fridge. 

As much as I hate where the Nick storyline went & is probably going, he wasn’t so bad in this episode. His Jeopardy joke & Kat’s aside was cute meta humor. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I called Nick being Kat’s new landlord in the thread for next week’s episode. 

I’m glad Randi & Carter were able to resolve their issue. Sweet that Rani has a photo of her with Kat & Phil on her fridge. 

As much as I hate where the Nick storyline went & is probably going, he wasn’t so bad in this episode. His Jeopardy joke & Kat’s aside was cute meta humor. 

Very good, I also called it that they would be softening Nick in future episodes to make him less of a douche.  But buying her building without telling her was still a douche move, especially after she told him she was hoping to buy it someday and he had sex with her.  I know that's not going to go over so well with a lot of viewers including myself.  Of course she does herself no favors by having sex with him.  Do younger women today think that if they're "just having sex" it somehow doesn't mean they're being exploited?  Because I don't agree.  She thinks she's being free and in charge of herself, but in reality she's allowing herself to be schmoozed by this guy and letting him play his power games to control her. 

I'm still OK with her breaking up with Oscar, though.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4

Dear Kat: When sleeping with a douche you should always use a hotel. I will not dignify this relationship with further comment.

I liked seeing Randi do the "wiggling fingers" signal for sex. When Carter first did it I thought it was very cringeworthy, but apparently it's an inside joke. I wonder if it will be a plot device at some point at the future.

Carter was getting way too familiar with Randi's apartment. She does tend to react strongly, but I thought she showed considerable restraint when she didn't murder him.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I’m not sure I believe these handsome men would be interested in Kat. She acts and dresses like a child. I also feel Mayim seems very uncomfortable with kissing and sex scenes and I understand she is very religious and probably doesn’t like these scenes. I do think she is very funny and I enjoy the cat cafe scenes as well as Kat with Randi, Phil and her mother.

Just now, Madding crowd said:

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 4

I still am not a fan of how everything went down with Oscar, even as we move past it the whole thing has left such a bad taste in my mouth, especially for what is usually a light hearted comedy. I hope that we can let Oscar get a bit more closure, right now things are just so awkward. I could have really used a few more kitties in this one. 

None of this has helped with the return of Nick, who they are already starting to soften a bit to make him a viable short term love interest, even if him buying the building without telling Kat shows that he really is still a dick. if he was just a rival I would probably find him pretty funny, but as someone who Kat is supposed to have chemistry with, I am not feeling it.

There were still some funny lines and bits and the B plot with Carter and Randi was pretty good, but this whole mess has a real let down for me, after what has generally been a solid season. Its not even that Kat and Oscar broke up, which is disappointing but inevitable, but the way it happened has really sucked. 

• Love 7

I'm not liking this thing with Nick. I really don't buy him being romantically interested in Kat from the start, he seems the player type that would be going after much more superficially attractive women. Hope Kat warns her friends about the cheese wheel.

I don't blame Randi one bit for being upset that her boyfriend had suddenly all but moved in to her home without asking. Really, Max should have run that by her even if she and Carter weren't dating, but advancing a couple on the relationship ladder as a third party bystander is a really big faux pas.

I'm also not thrilled to see the next episode will be hijacked by a crossover featuring the moron from Welcome to Flatch and some other FOX show celebrity that I'm completely unfamiliar with.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm not liking this thing with Nick. I really don't buy him being romantically interested in Kat from the start, he seems the player type that would be going after much more superficially attractive women. Hope Kat warns her friends about the cheese wheel.

I don't blame Randi one bit for being upset that her boyfriend had suddenly all but moved in to her home without asking. Really, Max should have run that by her even if she and Carter weren't dating, but advancing a couple on the relationship ladder as a third party bystander is a really big faux pas.

I'm also not thrilled to see the next episode will be hijacked by a crossover featuring the moron from Welcome to Flatch and some other FOX show celebrity that I'm completely unfamiliar with.

I was going to say the same thing about Nick and the women he would go after.  Even if he had sex with Kat for the conquest, he wouldn't have tried to pursue her after the first time.

Also agree with you on the Randi, Carter, and Max situation.

I've never watched Flatch and I'm not going to get any inside jokes.  I do know Thicke and I could see Max getting excited to see him or any singing celebrity.

• Love 3

Some of this episode felt much closer to the original Miranda than it has in a long time.  Sometimes for good--Kat eating alone at a restaurant and trying not be awkward.  That's me. I don't mind being alone but eating alone in public feels weird to me. That felt relatable. 

An sometimes for bad-she's not as good at the asides to the camera. 

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Do younger women today think that if they're "just having sex" it somehow doesn't mean they're being exploited?  Because I don't agree.  She thinks she's being free and in charge of herself, but in reality she's allowing herself to be schmoozed by this guy and letting him play his power games to control her. 

How's he controlling her?  She gave up the information about wanting to buy the building while still at dinner. Should she have kept up the conversation considering he led with insults?  Probably not but that doesn't mean she's being exploited.  She clearly wanted sex.  Got sex.  Enjoyed the sex.  Did it one more time but doesn't seem to be pining or wanting more with him than what she got.

Nick buying the building is a separate issue.  And I am loathe to defend Nick but he didn't betray Kat by buying her building.  He might turn out to be a horrible landlord but it's not like Kat is in any position to buy her building right now.  Or anywhere near to being in a position. She probably never will be if her only source of income is the cat cafe. 

3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Exactly.  In my experience, the key is convenient if you know you're spending the weekend together at the apartment and don't have completely aligned schedules or if you are planning to meet at one place or the other but are coming from different places, the person can let themselves in.  Use it as a second landing pad?  No. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

How's he controlling her?  She gave up the information about wanting to buy the building while still at dinner. Should she have kept up the conversation considering he led with insults?  Probably not but that doesn't mean she's being exploited.  She clearly wanted sex.  Got sex.  Enjoyed the sex.  Did it one more time but doesn't seem to be pining or wanting more with him than what she got.

Nick buying the building is a separate issue.  And I am loathe to defend Nick but he didn't betray Kat by buying her building.  He might turn out to be a horrible landlord but it's not like Kat is in any position to buy her building right now.  Or anywhere near to being in a position. She probably never will be if her only source of income is the cat cafe. 

I personally think he's attempting to have some control over her by buying the building out from under her when he knows it was her intention to do so.  That's the only reason I can see for him doing it, and a man positioning himself to have control over a woman in such a way is yes, in some way exploiting her for his own interest.  Obviously she isn't happy about it so that's one way he's gotten to her already.  Even if it was just a selfish move, he doesn't exist in a vacuum where what he wants to do is completely OK no matter how she may feel about it.  If they were strangers, maybe, but they're not, they've had sex.  And sex doesn't exist in a vacuum either.  A guy with any honor or respect for her would have at least told a woman he's had sex with of his intentions before buying it, and would give her the opportunity to either give him her blessing or object.  She's not just an object and neither his he.  They should be thinking about the other's feelings, not just whatever they want whenever they want it and screw how the other person feels about it.  Sorry, but those are my values. 

And she should have had some kind of sense rather than to just follow her desires to have sex with this guy without thinking of its possible complications.  If she's not happy with her friends knowing about it that says something about how she feels about it herself in the light of day - that it probably isn't a good idea and something she's not proud of given what a douche the guy is showing himself to be, but just can't seem to help herself from doing.  For that reason it's about a lot more than "just enjoying the sex".  Sex has consequences whether people like to admit that or not and she's already seeing some of them.

Just my perspective after a TON of relationship experience going back close to 50 years.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

My only question for this epi is, was that a harlequin great dane?  I've loved them ever since I discovered them in a mystery series I read.

Brutus does indeed look like a harlequin great dane.  Love him!  Nick, while less outwardly obnoxious this epi, not so much.

• Love 2

I really hope Kat realizes just how much fire she can use against Nick if he gets nasty as her landlord. The selling beer without a liquor license alone could destroy him permanently as a restaurateur. She'll have to move quick though, I bet he starts sewing up all those illegal activities of his now that he has increased visibility in the area.

Of course, telling the health department about him selling cheese they had sex on could probably turn into a standing threat...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Ucross said:

What is the deal with all the actors waving at the end of the show? I don't get it at all.

It's something they carried over from the original UK version (Miranda).  Kind of whimsical, but it doesn't annoy me as much as I thought it might.  I've said before, I wish they had also carried over the part where they show the actors' names on the screen as they're waving.

ETA:  I'm kind of tickled to see that everyone, including actors in very minor parts, get to participate.  There have been one or two episodes where there were child actors and they just seemed so happy.  Not saying I'd like to see this happen on every show I watch, mind you.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I really hope Kat realizes just how much fire she can use against Nick if he gets nasty as her landlord. The selling beer without a liquor license alone could destroy him permanently as a restaurateur. She'll have to move quick though, I bet he starts sewing up all those illegal activities of his now that he has increased visibility in the area.

Of course, telling the health department about him selling cheese they had sex on could probably turn into a standing threat...

Nick needs to fix the fact that he painted the curb yellow so he'd have a loading zone in front of his place too.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ctlady said:

Exactly.  Kat's name wasn't on the building.  She obviously doesn't have the funds for it so it's clearly up for grabs.  And Nick buying it isn't some kind of control/game.  It's just business.

It may be "his business" but he owes her the common courtesy of telling her about it before doing it.  If I found out a guy I was having sex with went out and bought the house I was living and had my business in AND expressed a desire to buy myself, I'd feel a certain way about it and not a good way, especially if he didn't tell me first.

I think this is just another example of Nick being a douche.  I can't imagine too many women in her position that would feel comfortable with that coming from a guy like him.  Being her landlord he could suddenly decide to do something completely different with the property that doesn't benefit her.  I thought this would be obvious.  Not sure why it isn't.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

It may be "his business" but he owes her the common courtesy of telling her about it before doing it.  If I found out a guy I was having sex with went out and bought the house I was living and had my business in AND expressed a desire to buy myself, I'd feel a certain way about it and not a good way, especially if he didn't tell me first.

I wonder how this is all going to work out.  Is Nick going to lord it over Kat that he is her landlord?  Will he give her special breaks?  This whole Nick coming back and having sex with Kat, supposedly NSA, happened so fast I don't think he really had time to discuss it with her first.  But I call BS on the whole thing because you can't just buy a whole building that fast.  It must have been in the works before Nick came back into Kat's life.  So far, the only thing he has going for him in my book is the dog, Brutus!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I wonder how this is all going to work out.  Is Nick going to lord it over Kat that he is her landlord?  Will he give her special breaks?  This whole Nick coming back and having sex with Kat, supposedly NSA, happened so fast I don't think he really had time to discuss it with her first.  But I call BS on the whole thing because you can't just buy a whole building that fast.  It must have been in the works before Nick came back into Kat's life.  So far, the only thing he has going for him in my book is the dog, Brutus!

In shows like this nothing happens accidentally.  Usually stuff like this is used to create trouble of some kind for the main character.  I felt like they made him do it with some kind of ulterior motive to benefit himself, but not necessarily her.  It's just something to create "interesting" storylines.  And I wouldn't necessarily think that him buying the place so fast is because it was already in the works.  Sitcom time is not real time and is often not realistic.  Plus if it was already in the works why wouldn't he have told her that when she told him she was interested in buying it?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

In shows like this nothing happens accidentally.  Usually stuff like this is used to create trouble of some kind for the main character.  I felt like they made him do it with some kind of ulterior motive to benefit himself, but not necessarily her.  It's just something to create "interesting" storylines.  And I wouldn't necessarily think that him buying the place so fast is because it was already in the works.  Sitcom time is not real time and is often not realistic.  Plus if it was already in the works why wouldn't he have told her that when she told him she was interested in buying it?

Because he's a douchebag?

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Ucross said:

What is the deal with all the actors waving at the end of the show? I don't get it at all.

It's whimsical and fun!

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I've said before, I wish they had also carried over the part where they show the actors' names on the screen as they're waving.

Yes!  Preceded by "You've been watching..."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I think this is just another example of Nick being a douche.  I can't imagine too many women in her position that would feel comfortable with that coming from a guy like him.  Being her landlord he could suddenly decide to do something completely different with the property that doesn't benefit her.  I thought this would be obvious.  Not sure why it isn't.

I didn't mind him in his previous appearance, even though the writing seemed to by trying to tell us not to like him.  But this time, when it appeared they were trying to make him more likeable, turned me completely off of him.

It was the implication that he got the idea to buy the building from Kat talking about how bad she wanted to buy it.  It gave me Jackson/McCartney vibes where McCartney was trying to be a friend and advise Jackson to make sure he kept control of his music by telling him what a tough time he was having getting his own music back.  Whereupon Jackson naturally buys up the Beatles catalog from underneath McCartney (and, according to PM, giggled about it when he told him).  

If he was just rival business owner making a business move, it would be different.  But he made a play (genuine or not, who knows?) for Kat and used her trusting him against her.  It was a total dick move.  (pun not intended)

• Love 5

Yes, Kat is a grown woman and she can have sex with whomever she wants.  Nick can buy whatever building he wants too.  If he is taking advantage of her, then she is letting him do it (if I were Kat, I would have threatened to report him for the illegal beer selling and illegal curb painting the moment he tried to steal/undercut my business).

So, technically, he isn't controlling/using her.  However, since Nick is a douche and Kat acts like a 15-year-old, it feels like he is controlling/using her.  

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

LOL, that still proves my point, though!  😉

Except he was a douchebag before she got into bed with him.  Hell, she was having sex dreams about him after he showed his ultimate douchebaggery. 

She didn't want him as a friend.  Or a boyfriend.  Or a long term lover.  She wanted him for sexual satisfaction.  He hasn't shown himself to be or promised himself to be anything other than he is.  

• Love 5
21 hours ago, needschocolate said:

Yes, Kat is a grown woman and she can have sex with whomever she wants.  Nick can buy whatever building he wants too.  If he is taking advantage of her, then she is letting him do it (if I were Kat, I would have threatened to report him for the illegal beer selling and illegal curb painting the moment he tried to steal/undercut my business).

So, technically, he isn't controlling/using her.  However, since Nick is a douche and Kat acts like a 15-year-old, it feels like he is controlling/using her.  

We all can have sex with whoever we want, we just don't want to have it with people that will screw us over in one way or another.  Of course he can buy the building, but if he's going to have some sort of relationship with her even if it's JUST SEX he should be considerate of her feelings and let her know about it first.  I realize being considerate of others is out of style, I guess I just didn't realize how out of style it was.  And no relationship is "just sex" unless you buy it.  And even then that doesn't excuse someone for not being considerate.  She's a person, not an object and shouldn't be treated like one.

And he may well be using her and attempting to control her.  I don't think we know that yet.  But the fact that he's already acted like a self-serving douche about other things and didn't let her know about buying the building until after she let him know she was interested in it leads me to think he might be.  I don't think that's a big stretch.

I suppose a woman that lets a man take advantage of her makes him not guilty of anything because she's letting it happen.  Don't tell that to the "me too" movement.  I also doubt that logic would go over in a court case.  Even if she voluntarily gave into it there's no minimizing any guilt on his side.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Except he was a douchebag before she got into bed with him.  Hell, she was having sex dreams about him after he showed his ultimate douchebaggery. 

She didn't want him as a friend.  Or a boyfriend.  Or a long term lover.  She wanted him for sexual satisfaction.  He hasn't shown himself to be or promised himself to be anything other than he is.  

Again, I believe people owe each other common courtesy even in primarily sexual relationships because we are people.  Just because we're not in love or are close in any way doesn't make it OK to treat them like an object and not have to be a good person to them.  Those are my ethics and I live and die by them.  My feeling is that you have to be concerned about the character of anyone you get involved with for any reason or you might end up being screwed over by them.  She may be making a big mistake by not doing that.  Even when I did have primarily sexual relationships I didn't do it with assholes and douchebags that might do something like this to me.  Thankfully I had more sense than that.  I'm sad that Kat is not showing such sense.

• Love 3

If you've ever rented, you know that your landlord has power over your life. I think it's pretty clear that he bought the building solely to exert some dominance. He TOLD HER he got the idea from her saying she wanted to buy it. And if he had already been planning to buy it before that, he could and should have told her that right then, not the next day after the fact.

Also, since he was negging her from the moment they met in a previous episode, there's no reason to think that's not his M.O. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5
On 4/23/2022 at 11:59 AM, ctlady said:
On 4/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, Madding crowd said:

I’m not sure I believe these handsome men would be interested in Kat. She acts and dresses like a child. I also feel Mayim seems very uncomfortable with kissing and sex scenes and I understand she is very religious and probably doesn’t like these scenes

This I agree with.  There are younger, less s****** and attractive women who find it hard landing one guy - and here's Kat ending a relationship with one, kissing another and have casual sex with yet another in, what...less than a month?

There's a line from one of my favorite movies, 10 Things I Hate About You, where the main guy character says, "What's this chick got, beer flavored nipples?"  Everytime Kat has a new guy interested in her, I think of that line. I like Mayim. She is not conventionally beautiful. The men who are pursuing her, are conventionally beautiful. And, at least based on the characterization of the men, 2/3rds wouldn't be interested in her at all. I don't buy Nick or Max wanting to be with her. 

• Love 8

Max I can see since they have so much bff history and compatible interests, and he really only developed an interest after he'd been dumped and Kat had a new, much younger boyfriend that was effusive in his praise for her. Nick, no way. He might tease her with the prospect of interest to get under her skin after she was vocal in calling him out about various misbehaviors, but I don't think he'd actually follow through unless he had something significant to gain from her.

• Love 6