Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E17: Starting Over (1)

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

NCIS investigates the apparent suicide of a retired Navy officer who was in Palmer and Knight’s grief group. Also, Torres gets a call from NCIS Special Agent Jane Tennant to come to Hawai’i when she gets a lead on a witness from a case they worked on together.

Very fun and revealing Parker episode. Not only with the TPS report easter egg anvil, but with his fake coughing to lure the 2nd wife away, comedic head injury, and more teases about his tragic loss backstory that the writers haven't decided on yet. 

He and Knight have a ton of fun-to-watch charisma/ chemistry with each other and with most of the other characters. It's been said many times the show is refreshing and lighter in tone now.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I don't get it.

In Office Space, Gary Cole was a very passive-aggressive, low-key smarmy boss who was obsessed with getting the TPS reports in and he walked around with a coffee cup, checking on whether they'd been done or not.  So fun to see that Easter Egg / wink on NCIS.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Another good episode and I'm seriously falling for Gary Cole.   I had never seen Office Space although my sister had told me about it years ago and said that I'd love it.   So I watched the clip linked and almost spit out my coffee.   Now I HAVE to see that movie!   

It was great seeing Dr. Grace and Fornell again and the actor who played the grieving father was wonderful.  The victim having a 2nd wife and baby was a good plot twist and the big clue to what caused his death. 

Guess that the NCIS  cross-over event worked in that I wound up watching NCIS Hawaii for the first time since it's 2nd episode (which didn't impress me enough to keep watching).  It made great use of our usual NCIS gang (except Jimmy, McGee, and Vance) and has provoked interest in giving Hawaii another try.  

• Love 5

I liked this epi and seeing Fornell and Dr. Grace again and it's interesting getting to know more about Parker.  I like how he and Knight seem to be settling with the team.

As for the crossover, I tried flipping back and forth between it and The Endgame but I primarly stuck with Endgame.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Another good episode and I'm seriously falling for Gary Cole.   I had never seen Office Space although my sister had told me about it years ago and said that I'd love it.   So I watched the clip linked and almost spit out my coffee.   Now I HAVE to see that movie!   

Your sister knows your humor -- oh, I love Office Space!  Amazing cast, so darn funny, love the quirks, many moments that are referenced in the real world wacky office life.  I too am loving Gary Cole in this role and what a surprising change of pace and vibe from Gibbs.  Who knew??!!

• Love 6

This was another good episode - I’m really liking the show this season, the characters gel really well together. This was a good case, I didn’t see the twist of the victim having a second family coming, and I liked how they worked in the personal stuff without it getting soapy. Also they did a good job of mixing the serious stuff of the grief counseling and all with some humor, I really like Parker’s laid back personality, Gibbs became just so ultra-serious in the last few seasons that the show was overly gloomy and tragic at times, and I liked how this episode had more of a balance with some humor thrown in. I don’t really care about Fornell much but he was used well in this episode, and it was nice to see Dr Grace again.

I didn’t miss Torres in the second half of this episode, it just gave everyone else more to do, I liked how they tied in the Hawaii stuff in a minor way, while still having a regular case of the week. 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

See the  link by meira.hand   (trying to quote it).  Check it out - cracked me up! 

I did see it but what I'm asking is what does it stand for?  For example, at work we had to print out a TIS report, which meant Total Items Scanned.

I hope there isn't too many crossovers with the Hawaii show because I struggled to keep interested.  Hawaii is missing something and I just can't put my finger on it.  Maybe it's because the cast is relatively unknown.  At least for me it is.

.  Knight and Parker do fit in nicely 

.  I guess Kassie is gay.  I hope this was just to let us know what team she bats for and not dwell on it.  That is one of the things I liked about NCIS, is they were still behind the times and didn't follow other shows about certain issues.

.  Still missing Abby 

• Love 2

Not the first bigamist plot this show did but still entertaining. Parker and Knight having fun with the Terminator was great. I also enjoyed Parker getting a bit flirty with Dr. Grace - she looked flustered for a moment. It's interesting that they keep Jimmy and Knight dealing with their grief as a plot point. One can only imagine what kind of show this would have been had Gibbs been given the opportunity (of course he'd never have taken it). I could have done without Fornell but the scenes with the bereft father were very good. All in all a good mix of tragedy and comedy.

Apparently there's some dark stuff in Parker's past too - don't overdo the drama show! Parker's just fine as he is - sugar addiction and snark and all. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

In Office Space, Gary Cole was a very passive-aggressive, low-key smarmy boss who was obsessed with getting the TPS reports in and he walked around with a coffee cup, checking on whether they'd been done or not.  So fun to see that Easter Egg / wink on NCIS.

That movie was hilarious, especially for those people that actually worked in an office and had access to an anal retentive person.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Not the first bigamist plot this show did but still entertaining. Parker and Knight having fun with the Terminator was great. I also enjoyed Parker getting a bit flirty with Dr. Grace - she looked flustered for a moment. It's interesting that they keep Jimmy and Knight to dealing with their grief as a plot point. One can only imagine what kind of show this would have been had Gibbs been given the opportunity (of course he'd never have taken it). I could have done without Fornell but the scenes with the bereft father were very good. All in all a good mix of tragedy and comedy.

Apparently there's some dark stuff in Parker's past too - don't overdo the drama show! Parker's just fine as he is - sugar addiction and snark and all. 

I'm the opposite in that I'd love to see some Parker backstory tragedy. He deserves some drama as the team lead (of any crime show), and Cole can do drama as well as his comedy.

I don't think it'll get to the point of too much as this didn't become the parkparkParker show (as it used to be the gibbsgibbsgibbs show), and the series won't be lasting even close to another 10 years.

I hope it gets renewed for season 20, which is usually announced every April.

If they reall wanted an Easter Egg, have Parker admit that he hosted a late night radio show. I loved "Midnight Caller" back in the day...

Anyway, good episode and I enjoyed the chemistry but my mouth about dropped seeing that guy's car in the garage...and I swear it was a T-Bird but wanted to know more about it. I know next to nothing about old cars but John Denver once sang about a '56 T-Bird and I kinda had a thing for them for awhile...Yeah, right....

• Love 7

Yup, that was a T-Bird, maybe 1956-1958 I think, with a porthole hardtop.  In the original Colonial White color.  I can't remember if it had the aftermarket Continental kit (spare tire mounted in a fancy case on the rear fender/trunk).

I'm not a classic car person, but my uncle had one just like that, and it was his pride and joy.  He'd take it to car shows and talk, talk, talk about it.  It was the same car the mystery blonde woman drove in American Graffiti.

I actually gasped when I saw the car on the screen.  Then I missed my uncle soooo much.

Edited by HurricaneVal
Added a memory. Love 'ya unk. You were the best.
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I'm not a classic car person, but my uncle had one just like that, and it was his pride and joy.  He'd take it to car shows and talk, talk, talk about it.  It was the same car the mystery blonde woman drove in American Graffiti.

That would be Suzanne Sommers

image.png.4d33f4ff699576c24ce1a469d5103793.png

• Love 2
On 3/28/2022 at 10:15 PM, MerBearHou said:

Gary Cole — TPS reports — sipping from a coffee cup and saying “old habit”.   I loved it / laughed out loud so hard!  Nicely done.  IYKYK

Yeah...I'm gonna go ahead and say that I really got a good laugh out of that too. I wanted to see if he had a red Swingline stapler on his desk too. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Amazingly, I don't think I have ever seen an episode of NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, or NCIS New Orleans before.  I started watching NCIS Hawaii because of Hawaii and Vanessa Lachey.  But I watched this episode because of the supposed crossover.

What crossover?  There was like two minutes of crossover and the plot wasn't even connected.

I don't know any of these characters or their backstories, so I was a bit lost on certain things, like the older guy who apparently used to be with the team but now is just consulting.

I did enjoy seeing Katrina Law.

Wilmer Valderrama... a complete black hole of suck.  Seriously, this actor and character has zero charisma.  I think I lost brain cells looking at his dead eyes and listening to his monotone voice.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I also enjoyed Parker getting a bit flirty with Dr. Grace - she looked flustered for a moment.

I was confused by this.  I am pretty certain that when Gibbs was seeing Dr. Grace, there were specific references to her husband.  Surprisingly, I think she had more chemistry with Gibbs, but they did have longer to develop the relationship.

Parker's just fine as he is - sugar addiction and snark and all. 

I think it's very clever how they casually worked that in -- in this case, mentioning great sweets in Hawaii -- rather than always just having him bring sweets in to work.

22 hours ago, Poohpoohpooh said:

Not only with the TPS report easter egg anvil, but with his fake coughing to lure the 2nd wife away, comedic head injury, and more teases about his tragic loss backstory that the writers haven't decided on yet. 

I gotta disagree.  There would have been nothing funny about it if the genders had been reversed and it was a male who threw the picture and it hit a female in the head, and I feel the same way about it with a woman doing something so impulsive and reactionary.  Also never found the old cartoon trope funny of the woman chasing her husband around with a frying pan in her hand so she can hit him in the head.

23 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Now that felt like a classic NCIS episode. It was nice to see Fornell in a good frame of mind. And Dr Grace taking care of the whole team. 

6 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I don’t really care about Fornell much but he was used well in this episode, and it was nice to see Dr Grace again.

I could have done without Fornell but the scenes with the bereft father were very good. 

It's been very interesting how in the few episodes since Gibbs left, we've seen waaayyy more of the auxiliary characters, some of whom we barely knew, and branching out on those we do know.  We've had Vance's daughter, McGee's mother-in-law, Jimmy's daughter, Kasie being gay, Knight and Palmer in grief counseling, and the reappearance of Fornell and Dr. Grace, although I found the Fornell thing to be oddly shoe-horned in. The bereft father was indeed very good.

20 hours ago, rr2911 said:

I hope there isn't too many crossovers with the Hawaii show because I struggled to keep interested.  Hawaii is missing something and I just can't put my finger on it.  Maybe it's because the cast is relatively unknown.  At least for me it is.

.  Knight and Parker do fit in nicely 

.  I guess Kassie is gay.  I hope this was just to let us know what team she bats for and not dwell on it.  That is one of the things I liked about NCIS, is they were still behind the times and didn't follow other shows about certain issues.

I've been unable to put my finger on what it is about NCIS Hawaii as well although I think it's not so much that the cast is relatively unknown as much as there being no charisma amongst them.   The lead doesn't come across as being badass or seasoned enough to be the team leader.  She is lacking something - I could see her in a supporting role on the team but not as it's leader.  In a way it's like McGee on NCIS - the actor is perfect in the part but he would not cut it as the team leader (and that must have been obvious to the showrunners who brought in Gary Cole).  I read that the producers on Hawaii wanted to have a cast that reflected the ethnic makeup of Hawaii but I don't think that Vanessa Lachey was really the right fit.   The rest of the team is kind of meh too except for the Tech guy who in true NCIS show fashion is a major eccentric.  

As for Knight and Parker - yeah!   I was a late comer to NCIS, so I missed the glory days of the show, but I'm liking Knight and Parker much better than Bishop and Gibbs.   Bishop started out ok and then they changed her a lot.  

Re Kassie - I guess that every show now has to have the token gay person.  Seems in the NCIS shows it's always a woman.   Maybe the NCIS producers think lesbians are hot or maybe not as offensive to the viewers with fossil sensibilities as a gay man would be. 

Edited by 12catcrazy
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

The rest of the team is kind of meh too except for the Tech guy who in true NCIS show fashion is a major eccentric.  

He's the male/Hawaiian version of Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds.

Edited by preeya
(edited)
On 3/29/2022 at 6:41 PM, MissLucas said:

. . . Parker's just fine as he is - sugar addiction and snark and all. 

On 3/30/2022 at 10:36 AM, LuvMyShows said:

. . . I think it's very clever how they casually worked that in -- in this case, mentioning great sweets in Hawaii -- rather than always just having him bring sweets in to work.

. . .

Since Parker showed up as the bad guy's "driver" at the very end of the "crossover" episode with NCIS Hawai'i, I'll be very disappointed if he shows up at work next episode without a few dozen malasadas from Leonard's Bakery.  (Not sure, though, if Parker was supposed to be in Hawai'i or still back in DC?  Anyone know definitively?  Whatever . . .  Knight can bring some malasadas back as a surprise for Parker, if he wasn't in Hawai'i.)

Edited by officetemp
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, officetemp said:

Since Parker showed up as the bad guy's "driver" at the very end of the "crossover" episode with NCIS Hawai'i, I'll be very disappointed if he shows up at work next episode without a few dozen malasadas from Leonard's Bakery.  (Not sure, though, if Parker was supposed to be in Hawai'i or still back in DC?  Anyone know definitively?  Whatever . . .  Knight can bring some malasadas back as a surprise for Parker, if he wasn't in Hawai'i.)

He wasn’t in Hawaii.  He posed as the driver for that corrupt CEO, who was in the DC area directing the scheme.  At least that’s how I interpreted it.  Otherwise Parker would have been in the (badly photoshopped) photos of the Hawaii team plus Torres and Knight doing things around the island. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

He wasn’t in Hawaii.  He posed as the driver for that corrupt CEO, who was in the DC area directing the scheme.  At least that’s how I interpreted it.  Otherwise Parker would have been in the (badly photoshopped) photos of the Hawaii team plus Torres and Knight doing things around the island. 

Thanks!  Yeah, makes sense.  Wasn't paying enough attention to the NCIS HI episode.  And, yes, those photos were pretty clumsily photoshopped.  One would think whoever did them would have been more skilled.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:04 PM, 12catcrazy said:

Re Kassie - I guess that every show now has to have the token gay person.  Seems in the NCIS shows it's always a woman.   Maybe the NCIS producers think lesbians are hot or maybe not as offensive to the viewers with fossil sensibilities as a gay man would be. 

Ned Dornegat was gay. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I miss Dorney.  I thought his arc would be an interesting storyline to follow.  I always suspected the powers-that-be at CBS wanted him killed off because their demographic wasn't prepared for a gay male character.  Or at least one that wasn't a prancing flamboyant butt of jokes, that is.

I still don't think they're ready for that.  But for some reason, lesbians are hawt, and seem to be popping up on every show.  Probably because the demographic that is uncomfortable with a ordinary gay man behaving normally is titillated by the thought of lesbians getting it on.

• Love 1
(edited)

The general public may be more comfortable with lesbians, but gay male characters have been on TV for a long time, some even in major roles, such as the married couples on "Modern Family" or "Grace and Frankie" or Andre Braugher on "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" and many others in minor roles.  (See link below.)

The reason, however, that Kasie has a girlfriend on NCIS might be that the actress asked for them to give her one.  Diana Reasonover (Kasie) is herself a lesbian and has been married to Patricia Villeto since 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gay_characters_in_television

Edited by buckboard
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 4/3/2022 at 10:24 PM, buckboard said:

he general public may be more comfortable with lesbians, but gay male characters have been on TV for a long time, some even in major roles, such as the married couples on "Modern Family" or "Grace and Frankie" or Andre Braugher on "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" and many others in minor roles. 

True, but I suspect that at least some of those shows have a different demographic than NCIS.