Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/21/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

51 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

That clip of Cory Booker that they showed addressing Ketanji about her historical nomination made me cry.  What a beautiful homage to Black women..

I was thinking everyone should start their day listening to this. We could all use a pep talk from Corey Booker. 

41 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

So sorry, Greenknight I for some reason confuse you and Haleth

Oh, I’m staying out of this conversation. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

I think Whoop is also happy with this panel and that is making her less irritable which is making her less annoying to us.  

I think her timeout has played a part, too.  Yesterday, for example, during the Royals discussion, I was waiting for her to either (a) lose her shit on Sunny or (b) step in it really bad AGAIN and say something entirely inaccurate or inappropriate.  It took way too many years and a suspension for her to finally learn that she is just but one voice on this show and to choose her words more carefully. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

I was thinking everyone should start their day listening to this. We could all use a pep talk from Corey Booker. 

Oh, I’m staying out of this conversation. 

Fair enough, lol. 

As for Cory, he just told a woman a year younger than himself she reminded him of his mother.  Yes, I get what he was going for.

Peace.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

And if Sunny and Whoopi wasn't on the View you might not hear as much about racism, and if Sarah and Joy wasn't on the show you might not hear as much about sexism.   Thanks for making the point on why representation is important on TV. 

And I will confidently say that hate crimes against Indian Americans (also Asian) and the general topic of Asian hate crimes have been discussed on this show.   But just like not every act of racism against Black or Latino people  is not covered, not every crime against Asians will be either.  

And finally, let me clarify my original point.   The bolded portion is not accurate and offensive.

yes

2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

They talk about all forms of victims on this show, whether it's anti-Semitism, homophobia, etc. etc. Speaking of, I loved Sunny breaking down the story of one of the smears about future Justice Jackson today--the story about a LGBT teen. I suppose I could've looked up the details of these cases myself, but I just usually accept it's a lie and move on considering the source behind the smear.

Except Sunny didn't present "all the facts" about that case.  Some of those videos included children that were prepubescent, so it wasn't just an 18 year old looking at videos of his peers. (He also uploaded videos to YouTube)

Now, I don't know if Jackson made the right call or not with her sentencing but if you're going to claim that one side is lying/embellishing, then you need to objectively present all the facts, not just the ones that put your side in a better light.  Otherwise, you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

Yesterday, for example, during the Royals discussion, I was waiting for her to either (a) lose her shit on Sunny or (b) step in it really bad AGAIN and say something entirely inaccurate or inappropriate.  It took way too many years and a suspension for her to finally learn that she is just but one voice on this show and to choose her words more carefully.

I was thinking of this when I saw the clip of their discussion on colonisation. Whoopi brought up India, not in her usual: "Here's the thing!" patronising way, but actually in a tone suggesting she was interested in adding to the conversation. That was refreshing.

I'm sorry, but to me Sunny was being a bit of a pill during that discussion. I still thought she had some interesting points though - the one about the reparations that were made to slave owners, that came out of the taxes of the British, which would include descendants of the slaves was something I hadn't known before (and seems to be a good example of how messed up our world can be sometimes).

But when Sara said: "Any royalty stands on the backs of others, that's what the history of colonialism is..." and Sunny interrupted: "Well, the history of colonialism is that they stood on the backs of black people..." then I can see why people here and elsewhere roll their eyes at Sunny a bit. They were talking about the British Empire, yes? The largest empire the world has seen, covering pretty much every continent on Earth? Whoopi had already brought up India. Countries like Ireland were decimated. And historically, colonialism hasn't even just been a European thing. Perhaps people will roll their eyes at me now, haha, but history matters - especially if we want to learn and improve.

Edited by SuzieSioux
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Sunny was right that the reason for his low prison time was because he was a teenager though. I looked up the story myself in response to your reply, and there was also a mental illness element to the story. Those two things are why there were six years of supervision post-release. Anyway, I won't go deeper into the details because I'm not sure if it would be considered off-topic or not...? The guy's name is Wesley Hawkins for people who want to look it up for themselves.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
Six *years*, not six months.
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, deirdra said:

Wasn't it Sunny's Spanish ancestors who first enslaved Black (and Indigenous) people in the Caribbean, before the British took over the seas?  British Royalty got rich centuries before they came to the Americas, exploiting lower class white people in Britain, just like wealthy Black Africans sold lower-class Black slaves to the highest bidder and the Indian caste system still thrives. 

The Portuguese were the first Europeans to kidnap and sell Africans after getting permission from the Catholic church to do so because they did not worship Jesus and were branded infidels who had to be converted to Christianity. The Portuguese were also the ones to call Africans Black.  Africans never called themselves that before because they identified with their various ethnic tribes and not their skin color. The word Black was used to dehumanize them and erase their ethnic identities. 

At first, The Portuguese were trafficking them to Portugal to work. Once the "new world" was discovered by the Spaniards, they were selling them to the Spaniards, the French, the British, the Dutch and the Danish to work on plantations.  Eventually, the various colonizers established their own trading posts on the coast of West Africa and no longer needed the Portuguese to procure them  Africans to enslave. Portugal also trafficked Africans to their own colony Brazil in South America.  Brazil has the largest Black population outside of Africa.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, SuzieSioux said:

I was thinking of this when I saw the clip of their discussion on colonisation. Whoopi brought up India, not in her usual: "Here's the thing!" patronising way, but actually in a tone suggesting she was interested in adding to the conversation. That was refreshing.

I'm sorry, but to me Sunny was being a bit of a pill during that discussion. I still thought she had some interesting points though - the one about the reparations that were made to slave owners, that came out of the taxes of the British, which would include descendants of the slaves was something I hadn't known before (and seems to be a good example of how messed up our world can be sometimes).

But when Sara said: "Any royalty stands on the backs of others, that's what the history of colonialism is..." and Sunny interrupted: "Well, the history of colonialism is that they stood on the backs of black people..." then I can see why people here and elsewhere roll their eyes at Sunny a bit. They were talking about the British Empire, yes? The largest empire the world has seen, covering pretty much every continent on Earth? Whoopi had already brought up India. Countries like Ireland were decimated. And historically, colonialism hasn't even just been a European thing. Perhaps people will roll their eyes at me now, haha, but history matters - especially if we want to learn and improve.

I just want to thank all y'all for the education in history and politics and just the world in general stuff.  To this day I wish I knew then, what I know now, it would been so much more fascinating.....I doff a hat 🤠 to you!  Or just a cowboy 🙃 couldnt find a duffer Lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

You left out one significant group of slave traders:  

African participation in the slave trade

Slave traders in Gorée, Senegal, 18th century.

Africans played a direct role in the slave trade, kidnapping adults and stealing children for the purpose of selling them, through intermediaries, to Europeans or their agents. Those sold into slavery were usually from a different ethnic group than those who captured them, whether enemies or just neighbors.  These captive slaves were considered "other", not part of the people of the ethnic group or "tribe"; African kings were only interested in protecting their own ethnic group, but sometimes criminals would be sold to get rid of them. Most other slaves were obtained from kidnappings, or through raids that occurred at gunpoint through joint ventures with the Europeans.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

Fair enough, lol. 

As for Cory, he just told a woman a year younger than himself she reminded him of his mother.  Yes, I get what he was going for.

Peace.

Lol. I came here to say this. Watching this, I just wanted KJB to  snarkly say, "Sir, we are the same age!"

• LOL 6
21 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I like Sunny but I was totally dismayed when she dismissed Native Americans, Asians, Hawaiian and Indian.

And...so rudely!  Making no bones about, "Everyone stop! I'm Black; I'm right...no further discussion required."

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Watching this, I just wanted KJB to  snarkly say, "Sir, we are the same age!"

Context is everything of course but if I were to tell someone they reminded me of my mother it would be a compliment (because my Mom is pretty great) and it wouldn't mean they looked like an 87 yr old resident of a retirement home!

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

Context is everything of course but if I were to tell someone they reminded me of my mother it would be a compliment (because my Mom is pretty great) and it wouldn't mean they looked like an 87 yr old resident of a retirement home!

Yeah.  I took it to mean her spirit reminds him of his mother or something like that, not that she looks old enough to be his mother.

Edited by Axie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I'm sure she took it that way.  You know how guys love their mamas, put them on a pedestal.

Shallow note:  I want whoever does Ana’s makeup to do mine for an upcoming wedding. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6

The Guilded Age finished its first season on Monday. I loved it (even Nathan’s over the top accent) but a lot of people were hate watching.  Only Murders is a fun show too.

”More specials than Walmart.”  Too funny!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Loved the show today.  The opening topic on the Supreme Court and the oversight (problem?) was educational for those who don't know much about that branch of government.  I have seen it discussed on other political shows and applaud the cast for making it the first topic.

Nathan Lane never disappoints and seeing the flashback pic was interesting.  Was Whoopie part of the panel back then?

What always hits me about Sunny and the View Your Deal is that she always starts loading her pockets with the products.  I wasn't aware of Sara doing that when she handled the segment, if she did it wasn't so blatant.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

Loved the show today.  The opening topic on the Supreme Court and the oversight (problem?) was educational for those who don't know much about that branch of government.  I have seen it discussed on other political shows and applaud the cast for making it the first topic.

Nathan Lane never disappoints and seeing the flashback pic was interesting.  Was Whoopie part of the panel back then?

What always hits me about Sunny and the View Your Deal is that she always starts loading her pockets with the products.  I wasn't aware of Sara doing that when she handled the segment, if she did it wasn't so blatant.

I thought today's show was great....I love Nathan Lane, but the entire show was pleasant and informative.

Regarding Sunny and the View Your Deal stuff - she's no worse than Whoopi used to be.  I remember when Whoopi used to "sneak" out onto the stage many times during the segment, take one of whatever it was she was interested in, and then, sort of "sneak" off.  I think I'm going to look into those chargers though - they look like great gifts and handy to have!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Fun show today. When they panned out, the whole audience was breaking up over Sara at the end of the pill discussion, but Joy saying you should put it in his food like a dog is what got me. That and the flashback to Nathan Lane with Barbara were the best moments today.

I've seen the first eight episodes of The Gilded Age, just not the ending unfortunately. I don't think it's as good as Downton Abbey by any means (I would buy every series of that one as it came out), but it is worth watching.

• Love 3
On 3/24/2022 at 8:48 AM, KittyQ said:

I was disappointed that the hosts wouldn't let Lindsey explain her perspective without talking over her. It gives the impression that unless a guest completely agrees with the regular hosts, they are wrong. If they want to just hear themselves talk, then don't invite any guests who have different ideas. 

Lindsey was loud, interruptive, and "overtalking" them.  When even viewers don't like a "guest panelist" coming in guns-a-blazin', we know the hosts are going to double down.  I'm not sure if she was "disrespectful," but she sure didn't show any respect to the other women.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I've seen the first eight episodes of The Gilded Age, just not the ending unfortunately. I don't think it's as good as Downton Abbey by any means (I would buy every series of that one as it came out), but it is worth watching.

I guess it's not as good as Downton Abbey "by any means", but Downton was on for almost 50 episodes with many more situations and characters.  There's not a fair comparison...yet.  I thought the mood was completely different; the budget was definitely LOWER, and I enjoyed it.  For me, it came to an end too quickly.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mldyold said:

Where would we be without Oprah's garage sale View Your Deal? 😉😁

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

Regarding Sunny and the View Your Deal stuff - she's no worse than Whoopi used to be.  I remember when Whoopi used to "sneak" out onto the stage many times during the segment, take one of whatever it was she was interested in, and then, sort of "sneak" off. 

Hmmm...interesting "no worse than Whoopi."  Besides Whoopi, were there even five people who thought that was enjoyable?

• LOL 5
23 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

As for Cory, he just told a woman a year younger than himself she reminded him of his mother. 

I've had the same thing happen to me, it brought tears to my eyes.  Surely one doesn't have to experience it to know what a wonderful compliment it can be.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Except Sunny didn't present "all the facts" about that case. 

NOR did any of the Republican senators in their myriad attacks regarding that ONE case--over and over.  

• Love 11
On 3/21/2022 at 6:46 PM, Blissfool said:

She mispronounced bizarre, divisive, and another word that I can't remember (she left out a syllable.) I was shocked.

I remember being corrected (as an adult in my 30s) for mispronunciations and I remember who corrected me.  I'm eight-one!  I've consoled myself with an opinion I read some years ago: that often the person mispronouncing a word was an "early reader" and saw-and-said the word and went on, filing that word.  My words were EBULLIENT and BANALYOURS???

How did she pronounce BIZARRE?

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Hmmm...interesting "no worse than Whoopi."  Besides Whoopi, were there even five people who thought that was enjoyable?

I remember Whoopi making some kind of disclaimer backstage how it’s against policy to take anything from any sponsors and they never do it.  
I love Nathan too and felt  his character was over the top now that I know the history of him ,my mind is changed. 

I have mixed feelings about Sara believing companies should hold the position for 2 years for an antivaxer employee.  Maybe I misunderstood. I was doing something else while watching.  That’s not practical. My son saved one of his employees life realizing she hadn’t logged on to his roll call in few days.  Turns out her computer froze at last log on.   He had only been a supervisor for a month.  All 25 employees were  working remotely  and in different cities and states so he didn’t know anything about her. She laid on her floor for days and I believe a stroke happened. The company kept her and the situation  very private. I might add she’s been a pain in the ass ever since still being anti vaccine and calls him for ever little thing to do with her time off and sick time and expects him to to take care of it . She’s been with company over 20 years 

Edited by athousandclowns
Add thought
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

And...so rudely!  Making no bones about, "Everyone stop! I'm Black; I'm right...no further discussion required."

Did she really say that??  Wow. Wooooooooow.  Wow.

15 hours ago, Axie said:

Yeah.  I took it to mean her spirit reminds him of his mother or something like that, not that she looks old enough to be his mother.

Same.  It was just a sweet moment.  It had been hard all daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam day hehe 

9 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'm sure she took it that way.  You know how guys love their mamas, put them on a pedestal.Especially southern women.  That's part of the magic NOLA.  The way southern gentlemen treat their Ladies.  With a Total respect and honor and reverence.  I was sooooooo sad when Anne Rice passed away.  Broke my heart. Love her books. 

I want whoever does Ana’s makeup to do mine for an upcoming wedding. 

That's not out of the realm of possibility.  Do you know her name, if you know the name of her art.  Go inside, check rooms for another clue.  Take a look at your Bio anyplace they show one.  The View, CNN.  They may list your backup team.  Then you can get her email and see if she's

booked for the date you have.  I would have made a great assistant LOL.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

The company kept her and the situation  very private. I might add she’s been a pain in the ass ever since still being anti vaccine and calls him for ever little thing to do with her time off and sick time and expects him to to take care of it . She’s been with company over 20 years 

Wow no good deed goes unpunished!  Your son sounds like a great person who doesn't deserve to have an employee like that!

With regard to what Sara was saying, no, just no.  I work in a hospital and the employees who refused the vaccine had multiple chances to change their stance.  Didn't.  Now they're gone.  Game over.  My husband who works at a different hospital has an employee who refused to be vaccinated and is still, theoretically, employed there but has been off on unpaid leave since, IIRC,  September.  Anyway it's causing no end of issues for them because they can't replace him.  Yet. 

I do think Sara has a point though that the companies that have people on unpaid leave right now need to clarify their positions on this once and for all.  Holding the job for two years is a bit, a lot, much to ask though!

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

That's not out of the realm of possibility.  Do you know her name, if you know the name of her art.  Go inside, check rooms for another clue.  Take a look at your Bio anyplace they show one.  The View, CNN.  They may list your backup team.  Then you can get her email and see if she's

Just to be clear, most of the quote you attributed to me was not written by me.  I don’t know who put those words in my mouth, er, fingers. 😊

19 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Wow no good deed goes unpunished!  Your son sounds like a great person who doesn't deserve to have an employee like that!

From my experience this is magnified in the workplace, for some reason people see kindness as weakness.

33 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Just to be clear, most of the quote you attributed to me was not written by me.  I don’t know who put those words in my mouth, er, fingers. 😊

Oy yes you're right.  I screwed up that last post and it put my notes inside the text box of the prev author (you). And looks like I was adding on. Sorry about that Haleth!  I take full responsibility

• Love 1
5 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I thought today's show was great....I love Nathan Lane, but the entire show was pleasant and informative.

Regarding Sunny and the View Your Deal stuff - she's no worse than Whoopi used to be.  I remember when Whoopi used to "sneak" out onto the stage many times during the segment, take one of whatever it was she was interested in, and then, sort of "sneak" off.  I think I'm going to look into those chargers though - they look like great gifts and handy to have!  

I love him too..I think he’s an American theater treasure!  Wish they would just keep the 5 panelists, 4 some days when Ana’s gone.  So much better and more natural feeling.  

• Love 2
23 hours ago, ForumLou said:
On 3/24/2022 at 4:59 PM, Back Atcha said:

Did she really say that??  Wow. Wooooooooow.  Wow.

NOOOO!!!  She didn't say that.  I was taking liberties...and I think most readers understood.  If not...I apologize (egad!) to Sunny.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

NOOOO!!!  She didn't say that.  I was taking liberties...and I think most readers understood.  If not...I apologize (egad!) to Sunny.

yeah, we got what you were saying

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cinsays said:
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

yeah, we got what you were saying

Ummm...not everyone.Animated GIF

2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Animated GIF

I'd like to borrow this gif to respond to  anyone pointing out that Cory Booker meant it as a compliment when he compared KBJ to his mother.

I know he did! 😂 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

On 3/26/2022 at 12:58 PM, Back Atcha said:

Hahahah!  I know what you meant.  I was giving you a ridiculous reaction to a ridiculous sitch

On 3/25/2022 at 3:27 PM, Rainyhawk said:

I love him too..I think he’s an American theater treasure!  Wish they would just keep the 5 panelists, 4 some days when Ana’s gone.  So much better and more natural feeling.  

It is.  Question though: in this day of revolving hosts, why, when they have a guest, do they still sit someone out?  It would seem like the whole panel should be able to partake.

3 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Question though: in this day of revolving hosts, why, when they have a guest, do they still sit someone out?  It would seem like the whole panel should be able to partake.

This is why I've always thought the View only needs 4 full-time hosts (Whoopi/Ana counting as one).  They can have guest hosts when someone goes on vacation or is sick, like when they let one of the guests fill in as host too.