Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation for The Gilded Age

• Start Topic

Speculation for the finale: as many people have guessed, Raikes will be hot to marry Marian because it turns out she's not poor.  The house she lived in when her father died, which Raikes claimed was rented, actually did belong to Marian's father.  Raikes was able to sell it without her knowing and use the money to afford to galavant in New York.  However, he can't use her "worthless" railroad shares because they're in her name, so he has to marry her.  

George Russell will return Marian's favor to him in the last episode by investigating Raikes's background.  He'll learn the truth about Raikes and team up with Agnes (temporarily) to stop the elopement.  Marian will see the truth and refuse to go through with it.  Raikes will (a) go to jail or (b) run off and end up with Turner somewhere.  

Marian's railroad shares will be worth millions, making her one of the most eligible unmarried women in New York.  That will also make her one of Gladys's main rivals, a fact not lost on Bertha Russell.

• Love 6

I like all these ideas! Especially the one about Raikes hooking up with Turner LOL! I just want to see the ball and the beautiful costumes. I feel sorry for Carrie C*** having to wear all those clothes while being so pregnant. So heavy-I can't imagine having to dress like that all the time. I guess I like my sweatpants too much:)

• Love 1
On 3/19/2022 at 9:48 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Raikes will (a) go to jail or (b) run off and end up with Turner somewhere.  

I wonder about this bit.  Raikes REALLY inserted himself deeply into the NYC social circle and became very familiar with a LOT of big deals, and I wonder if they'd toss aside everyone's shame with no consequence of them being duped so easily.  I mean, they probably will, but I don't think it should be quite that easy and therefore I wonder if they will make the downfall quite so operatic.

Edited by Lassus

I wonder, and this speculation is a little different than most, why they didn't write a show about the Vanderbilts and Astors (and MacAllister). They seem to be following historical events as much or more than most historical dramas. They could still have the Van Rijns and Marion on the side, with Marion being our observer, and understairs drama to illustrate common life and Peggy Scott and her family, too. I haven't watched any other Fellowes shows, and probably won't watch any of them, so I don't know if this is what he does in the others, but I find it awkward. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lassus said:

I wonder about this bit.  Raikes REALLY inserted himself deeply into the NYC social circle and became very familiar with a LOT of big deals, and I wonder if they'd toss aside everyone's shame with no consequence of them being duped so easily.  I mean, they probably will, but I don't think it should be quite that easy and therefore I wonder if they will make the downfall quite so operatic.

I wonder if Raikes will turn out to be someone of notable bloodline and wealth working undercover, just to prove a point. He did go to, was it Harvard, one of the notable schools. He doesn't appear to be an English peer, but possibly a scion of some notable family who ended up living abroad so he wouldn't be recognized in New York City? 

Don't mind me, just making trouble. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Question on Finale - Last week we had Episode 8.  This week we have Episode 10.  DId I miss something?

Episode 9 is a crossover with Warrior. Marian, Peggy, Agnes and Ada travel by train to San Francisco and are kidnapped by a tong. Bertha convinces George to pay the ransom (putting Society further in their debt), but Ada decides to stay. A young Mark Twain gives Peggy a tour of a newspaper office. 

Ada’s letters home intrigue John Adams IV, who makes plans to visit. Larry tags along, interested in architecture but ends up in cable cars.

Edited by KarenX
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, QuinnM said:

Question on Finale - Last week we had Episode 8.  This week we have Episode 10.  DId I miss something?

Not that I'm aware of.  There are 9 episodes per season.

Although @KarenX had me googling to find the episode she described.  LOL.

Just now, AZChristian said:

Although @KarenX had me googling to find the episode she described.  LOL.

I just needed to stop a second but it did cause me pause.  I wish all of the ‘labeling’ indicated 9 then.  I mean there are people that will need therapy to go from 8 to 10.  Not me, I’ll be fine.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Affogato said:

I wonder, and this speculation is a little different than most, why they didn't write a show about the Vanderbilts and Astors (and MacAllister). They seem to be following historical events as much or more than most historical dramas. They could still have the Van Rijns and Marion on the side, with Marion being our observer, and understairs drama to illustrate common life and Peggy Scott and her family, too. I haven't watched any other Fellowes shows, and probably won't watch any of them, so I don't know if this is what he does in the others, but I find it awkward. 

My guess is that Fellowes didn't want to write a straight telling of the real histories. But, rather, create his own soapy drama within this world.  If he has simply written about the Vanderbilts, then he would be limited by the historical record.  The Vanderbilts were real people who had real, very well documented lives.  Not much suspense in a romance if we not only know who got together but their entire line thereafter through Anderson Copper's sons. 

So, he created the Russells who have a roughly analogous position at this time. 

Likewise, he created the van Rijns as a fictitious offshoot of old money Livingstons who really existed because, well, if you were old money NY in the 1880s, the odds were pretty high you had a Livingston relation somewhere.

But to hew as closely as possible to the realities of the era, certain things remain, Mrs. Astor and McAllister for instance and the start electric service in New York, etc. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RachelKM said:

My guess is that Fellowes didn't want to write a straight telling of the real histories. But, rather, create his own soapy drama within this world.  If he has simply written about the Vanderbilts, then he would be limited by the historical record.  The Vanderbilts were real people who had real, very well documented lives.  Not much suspense in a romance if we not only know who got together but their entire line thereafter through Anderson Copper's sons. 

So, he created the Russells who have a roughly analogous position at this time. 

Likewise, he created the van Rijns as a fictitious offshoot of old money Livingstons who really existed because, well, if you were old money NY in the 1880s, the odds were pretty high you had a Livingston relation somewhere.

But to hew as closely as possible to the realities of the era, certain things remain, Mrs. Astor and McAllister for instance and the start electric service in New York, etc. 

I did mention that they could create their fictional world around them. The van rijns. The lives of the servants. The Scotts. Creating a real believable (yet fictionalized)matrix. 

So far the russelbilts are following history closely.  It may be prettied up a bit, which makes it duller. I just don’t see the point. The astors and fish etc are there. It looks a bit like he couldn’t get rights to the name. 

Edited by Affogato

What would you guys like to see next season?

I want Peggy to find her son because I don’t want her to be broken hearted. But babies add nothing to the plot so they can handle this as 1. Peggy finds her son, confirms he’s healthy and safe, and decides that given he’s almost 2, and she’s unwed it’s best he stay with his adoptive parents, but she would like for them to write her and keep in touch. OR 2.Peggy is reunited with her son, her Mom hires a nanny and Peggy is free to keep writing, and the boy is kept mostly off screen. 

I’d like to see Marian and Larry Russell flirt a lot. I would like to see Bertha continue to scheme. Now that Gladys is out in society that should make for fun interactions. 

I want John Adams to dump Oscar and find someone hotter cause he deserves it. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I want Peggy to find her son because I don’t want her to be broken hearted. But babies add nothing to the plot so they can handle this as 1. Peggy finds her son, confirms he’s healthy and safe, and decides that given he’s almost 2, and she’s unwed it’s best he stay with his adoptive parents, but she would like for them to write her and keep in touch. OR 2.Peggy is reunited with her son, her Mom hires a nanny and Peggy is free to keep writing, and the boy is kept mostly off screen. 

I prefer the former. Sometimes the greatest love is to give up the child. In this case Peggy is a total stranger to her son, the only parents he had known are his foster parents. If he is treated well, she must think what is best for him, not her own feelings.  

If Peggy's mother has any money, it can't used without her husband's permission.

6 hours ago, Roseanna said:

I prefer the former. Sometimes the greatest love is to give up the child. In this case Peggy is a total stranger to her son, the only parents he had known are his foster parents. If he is treated well, she must think what is best for him, not her own feelings.  

If Peggy's mother has any money, it can't used without her husband's permission.

I’m sure Mrs Scott has “pin money” for her outings and things- and she isn’t the type to spend it all. If Peggy had enough pin money saved to travel to Philly and move about the world without her father’s permission I’m sure Mrs Scott does as well. (I’m sure that’s what they are using to look for the boy in between seasons)

I would like to have more scenes with Audra McDonald because she is a QUEEN and they haven't been using her to her fullest potential. I want her and Peggy to mend their relationship (it looks like it is on the way). Also for Peggy, the editor of the New York Globe is SO HANDSOME, if she is going to have a love story, let's have one with him.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m sure Mrs Scott has “pin money” for her outings and things- and she isn’t the type to spend it all. If Peggy had enough pin money saved to travel to Philly and move about the world without her father’s permission I’m sure Mrs Scott does as well. (I’m sure that’s what they are using to look for the boy in between seasons)

I doubt if Peggy and her mother's savings will cover even their own rent and food for years, at least not in the style they are used to. 

As for Peggy's son, she doesn't know that separating from a person who has taken care of him since the birth (we must assume that Peggy's father found him a good home) will cause him a trauma, but the audience knows.

BTV, let's also remember the high infant mortality. 

19 minutes ago, Roseanna said:

I doubt if Peggy and her mother's savings will cover even their own rent and food for years, at least not in the style they are used to. 

As for Peggy's son, she doesn't know that separating from a person who has taken care of him since the birth (we must assume that Peggy's father found him a good home) will cause him a trauma, but the audience knows.

BTV, let's also remember the high infant mortality. 

I don't quite follow, I wasn't expecting Peggy and her Mom to pay their own rent and food- I was talking about them making the trip to find the boy. Mrs Scott is NOT going to leave her husband (she probably has no where else to go) but I believe she is going to hate him for the rest of her life and his life will NOT be pleasant, he has lost her emotionally in a way he could've never expected.

It would be so painful to find her son and have him die- I hope the writers don't put Peggy through that. 

We are in agreement, I think Peggy will find her son, see that he is loved and well cared for, and ask this adoptive parents to write to her and keep her updated on his life, and she can go back to her writing career. Babies add nothing to the plot, nothing, and Peggy has so many more interesting things to be doing than caring for a toddler.

I also want to see more of Gladys now that she is out- I think she is smarter and more intuitive than Bertha gives her credit for, she could add something if she has scenes with Marian, as they are the young unmarried women who can bring the "courtship plots". We will likely get a time jump and Marian can be OVER Mr. Raikes.

The DirecTV entry for Episode 8, airing on Sunday, December 16 states
 that the "staff questions its future at the (Van) Rhijn house ...."  Wonder if that means that indeed Oscar DID sign away all the Van Rhijn money to the con artist and that Agnes is now broke.  Which makes one wonder if the speculation on the episode thread that perhaps Ada's husband Luke is indeed rich and he dies leaving Ada a boatload of money, and Agnes and Ada's roles are now reversed.

Of course, the way we get red herrings in descriptions, it could just be the staff hears about Oscar's loss and believes it was Agnes' money that was gambled when it wasn't.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Or the staff doesn't know yet about Mr. Forte's imminent death, and are just thinking that if Ada and Marion are no longer in residence, does Agnes need as many staff.  

Yea, I will totally bet that's it.  I have visions of it being a five-minute scene where they're all downstairs and either Jack or Bridgett brings it up.  At that point Bannister points out that she would need each one of them even if she's living alone.  End of scene - ON TO THE OPERA WARS!

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Affogato said:

So much is going in, but I keep on thinking that the whole opera production has to be such a major costume/cgi spectacle that it will overwhelm the rest of its episode.

After what they did to Ada’s marriage storyline, I can only assume with all of the build-up to the opera wars, the episode will end on Bertha’s beaming face as the curtain rises, and we won’t even see any of the damn operas. I don’t think it matters so much which house has a better show, but which has packed boxes. Bertha will be swanning in the cheering crowd, while Mrs Astor will be stewing in the pitiful patter of a nearly empty house. 

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

After what they did to Ada’s marriage storyline, I can only assume with all of the build-up to the opera wars, the episode will end on Bertha’s beaming face as the curtain rises, and we won’t even see any of the damn operas. I don’t think it matters so much which house has a better show, but which has packed boxes. Bertha will be swanning in the cheering crowd, while Mrs Astor will be stewing in the pitiful patter of a nearly empty house. 

Is that what happened? 

52 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Is that what happened? 

I don’t know what transpired on opening night of the opera wars, other than I am aware it’s true that they opened on the same night. But let’s put it this way: The Met is still going strong today. The Academy? Never heard of it before this show. I doubt in real life the Academy was ruined in one night/season, but I think Fellowes will write it that way. My speculation is that the season will end with Bertha winning, and next season they’ll be on to something else, so they’ll do something obvious to show the shift to the Met, rather than they both put on great shows and went along just fine until whenever the Academy actually shuttered.

Edited by JenE4

I think the Duke's storyline will go one of two ways. My predictions are not based on real actual history of the era but on the previous work of Julian Fellows.

Option 1: The Duke and Gladys will be engaged, but he will die in some type of tragic horrible accident before the wedding.

Option 2: The Duke and Gladys will marry and overtime, she will eventually fall in love with him.

• Like 1

I want a classic makeover montage for Ada.  Marian and Peggy take her shopping, throw fancy, colorful dresses over the dressing room door, she comes out and twirls in each one with various faces being made by Marian & Peggy, then they hit the beauty salon where she gets a new 'do, then they all walk down the middle of the street arm in arm carrying a boat load of shopping bags.  Oh, and maybe they stop for cosmos along the way.

Seriously, though, I'd like them to take this opportunity to de-frump Ada.

I'd like to see Peggy brought back into the main story lines, and not be as separated (dare I say segregated?) from the rest of the cast as in Season 2.  Have her be both Agnes' and Ada's secretary, so she's more involved in the VR household.  Or, have Ada fund a new School for the Colored (and Irish), with Peggy at the helm.  I don't want to see Peggy as a school teacher - that would be a step back for her.

I'd love for Oscar to track down Maud and bring her and the "banker" guy to justice.  I just think he needs a little redemption.

I'd like for Larry & Marian to have a longer courting period and/or engagement, not just dive into marriage.  I think a married Larry & Marian would be rather dull and not add anything to the show.  Maybe Larry has to go abroad for business, drawing things out.  Or, have them marry in between seasons, and let them be on their Grand Tour honeymoon all of Season 3.  I'd be fine if both were gone.  I'm backing this relationship just so we can see how Bertha and Agnes get on as in-laws.  The writers will have so much fun coming up with competing one-line zingers for them.

I don't care about Gladys, but it's pretty clear she will be the center of Season 3.  Just give the poor girl more than 2 sentences per episode!  That actress has to be awfully bored with this role.  I'd rather they not follow history and force her into marriage.  Either have her actually fall for the Duke, or have George step in and release her from Bertha's promise. 

I want more Newport, just for the homes and the outfits.

I want more Mrs. Fish.  I still think her social network could be the key to finding Maud. Maybe give us some scenes with Mrs. Fish and Oscar hunting Maud down.

As much as I like Nathan Lane, I think we've had enough Ward McAllister. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I'd like for Larry & Marian to have a longer courting period and/or engagement, not just dive into marriage.  I think a married Larry & Marian would be rather dull and not add anything to the show.  Maybe Larry has to go abroad for business, drawing things out.  Or, have them marry in between seasons, and let them be on their Grand Tour honeymoon all of Season 3.

We/I absolutely need to see the wedding and the lead-up to it, but I would be okay with the two of them on a Grand Tour honeymoon for all or part of season 4.

• Like 1

There's no way the Duke is moving to NYC.  The whole point of the arrangement is for him to live in the style he's accustomed to in his home.  If they marry, Gladys is gone except to return periodically to tell the family how awful he is.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, oceanblue said:

There's no way the Duke is moving to NYC.  The whole point of the arrangement is for him to live in the style he's accustomed to in his home.

This is one of the reasons why I think the Duke will die before the marriage.

I think this is a longshot but maybe there will be a time jump and we will be in England for the wedding. Marian and larry will be engaged. Bertha and George will be going through a bad patch in their relationship and George may have to be in the US because of the strikes. And so on. An awful lot of the speculation is pretty far in the future and I’d imagine weddings at that level take a long time to arrange. 

i will speculate that we will be near the 6 month end of George’s raise for the trademen, so at least that long. 

i wonder if the reverend left some things for Ada to do, see Paris, visit Boston?

Edited by Affogato

Mr Van Rijn will turn up alive and well. Is it confirmed he is really dead? Maybe he went exploring or was lost at sea but they never found his body.

A long-lost love of Agnes will turn up. She was in love with him 40 years ago but he was poor so she had to turn him down.

Gladys will be forced to marry the Duke but the night before her wedding, she will escape out the window with the help of the guy she really likes.

6 hours ago, shang yiet said:

A long-lost love of Agnes will turn up. She was in love with him 40 years ago but he was poor so she had to turn him down.

I do like the idea of a long lost love for Agnes.

6 hours ago, shang yiet said:

Gladys will be forced to marry the Duke but the night before her wedding, she will escape out the window with the help of the guy she really likes.

If there is an escape, George has to be in on it and actively helping or aware of it but not doing anything to stop it. I actually like the idea of seeing some of the characters working together trying to help her with the escape. 

Pumpkin is who really inherited the Rev's fortune and will lord it over Agnes and Ada. He will demand caviar in his doggy bowl and a gold collar with diamonds. He will be the top dog in New York City!

• LOL 2

It's weird that Rev Dead Poets would not tell Ada what was about to happen.  Head's up honey, you're going to be an heiress in 5 min,  here's why I didn't tell you.  What did he gain from secrecy?  I'd like to see Ada at least wonder.  

• Like 2