Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Cuisine?

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

POLL OPEN

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought about making it multiple choice, but really, what is your favorite? 

My go to is Mexican.  I could eat it morning, noon and night.  How about you?

EDIT:  By making it a two question, you are required to answer the second question, just answer other if it doesn't apply.

• Love 1

I work from home much of the time, and there's a Thai restaurant nearby that has "big bowl" lunch specials. You can get a non-alcoholic beverage and a big bowl of something over rice or noodles for a price that works out to be $10 when you add in the tax and tip. I always get the a spicy chicken and basil over brown rice, and I always end up bringing home leftovers. It's as good as it is cheap!

But I was raised on Italian food and could happily live on it if I had to choose only 1 cuisine.

• Love 1

When you choose other in the first category it doesn't allow you to type anything in. I can't choose only one favorite since I just love food so much, but my current craze is for Mediterranean. Shawarma, kefta kebab, falafel and the like. I could eat this stuff every day and there are THREE decent places near my house.

I guess my favorite cuisine is Indian, although I really like French too. Problem is, in my town, something like 80-90% of the restaurants are Italian.  Now I do like Italian food, but it would be nice to have a few more choices.  We've got 2 Mexican places, 1 German, 1 Japanese and about 4 or 5 takeout Chinese places.  Everything else is Italian.  

When you choose other in the first category it doesn't allow you to type anything in. I can't choose only one favorite since I just love food so much, but my current craze is for Mediterranean. Shawarma, kefta kebab, falafel and the like. I could eat this stuff every day and there are THREE decent places near my house.

Wouldn't that be considered "Greek"?  Yeah, it doesn't give an option for entering something, so just listing in the reply is good.

Curious, what is considered "European" cuisine since "Italian", "German" & "French" are named individually?

I really should have put "United Kingdom", but didn't know how to call it?  Is it English food?  I can edit, just let me know.

L

Wouldn't that be considered "Greek"?  Yeah, it doesn't give an option for entering something, so just listing in the reply is good.

Really? To me Greek is gyros, moussaka, Grecian chicken, etc. In Yelp Mediterranean is a whole separate category.

• Love 2

Mexican, I grew with great Mexican food(I'm mexican :)). And can eat it for every meal. I don't but want everyday.

Italian is second.

I do eat a lot of stir fry vegetables too.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

I guess I'm boring.  I like pretty much everything but my favorite foods are the old American standards:  steak and potatoes, meatloaf, fried chicken, ribs.

• Love 1

I haven't eaten a lot of Tex-Mex, but having grown up in California and living here most of my life, I have to say that the best Mexican I ever had was in Albuquerque and Taos.  And not just like one or two restaurants, but across the board.

I guess I'm boring.  I like pretty much everything but my favorite foods are the old American standards:  steak and potatoes, meatloaf, fried chicken, ribs.

I Don't think that's boring, it's just your fav.. You say you like everything, so that's not boring.

• Love 2

For "international" I prefer Mexican. I put international in quotes because while technically Indian is such, being an Indian and eating that food everyday makes it not feel that way. (Which by the way is awesome...you get the food from restauraunts like puri etc as well as the stuff you won't find there like Mootya)

I also LOVE samosas.

No issue with Italian or Thai.

Can't stand Chinese for some reason

Edited by wingster55

My Gramma was Hungarian, so I grew up eating goulash, chicken paprikash, spatzle....  and my other side is Ukranian, so pyrogies, holubchi, kielbasa,.... and to top it all off, sour cream! (and bacon)  I would eat this every day, damn the calories, if I could.

• Love 2

My Gramma was Hungarian, so I grew up eating goulash, chicken paprikash, spatzle....  and my other side is Ukranian, so pyrogies, holubchi, kielbasa,.... and to top it all off, sour cream! (and bacon)  I would eat this every day, damn the calories, if I could.

Not Hungarian, but this is my food. MMMM. Went to Europe for the first time about two years ago and this kind of cooking is AMAZING. Although I have to admit I have no idea what holubchi is. The rest of it...DAMN!

• Love 1

My favorite is Indian. There are so many flavors and textures in Indian cuisine. It never gets boring.

My favorite dishes are (heat and predominant flavors in brackets):

Keralan coconut curry (mild with coconut, turmeric and mustard seeds)

Rogan josh (medium with natural yogurt, tomato and onion)

Pepper curry (mild with tomato, ginger, garlic and pepper)

My favorite sides are:

Bombay potatoes (pan-fried as hot or mild as you like with chilli, mustard seeds, turmeric and salt)

Onion bhajis ( mild deep-fried onion pieces coated in besan (chickpea) flour batter and spices)

Vegetable samosas (potato and peas in a wheat pastry with spices can range from mild to medium hot)

Pakoras (vegetables, I've had cauliflower ones and potato and spinach ones with turmeric and other spices, may or may not be coated in a besan flour batter and deep-fried)

LOVE LOVE LOVE authentic Chinese food.  I could eat it all day every day.

Any particular styles of Chinese? I love Shanghainese (Xiao long bao is my all time individual favorite food), Cantonese (which is what most Chinese food in Australia is), Sichuan (mmm, tingly pepper) and Hainanese (have you tried Hainanese chicken rice, it is extraordinary). I am less fond of the food from the west of China which tends to be very oily and quite bland.

• Love 1

Any particular styles of Chinese? I love Shanghainese (Xiao long bao is my all time individual favorite food), Cantonese (which is what most Chinese food in Australia is), Sichuan (mmm, tingly pepper) and Hainanese (have you tried Hainanese chicken rice, it is extraordinary). I am less fond of the food from the west of China which tends to be very oily and quite bland.

There was a restaurant in the town I used to live in in Southern California called Beijing Muslim Chinese Restaurant.  It wasn't really Beijing style food, though, it was more from western China, but, being Muslim, they did not use pork or alcohol.  I thought it was very good food.

• Love 1

Dim Sum is wonderful.  There isn't a restaurant serving it in my town, so I go to one called Kam Ding Seafood House in Coquitlam.  My only criticism is that they don't have the Taro root dumplings that I love.  But I could eat steamed sticky rice and pork, pot stickers,  pork dumplings, shrimp dumplings and spare ribs at least once a week if I could afford to eat out that much.

• Love 1

I voted for Italian.  I like stuff from most of the other categories, too, but I figured what's the one kind of food that I really wouldn't want to give up completely, forever.  Love angel hair pasta with marinara and most any topping - meatballs, chicken, shrimp, or even just cheese.  Love lasagna, gnocchi, ravioli.

We have Mexican food at least once a week.  Simple beef enchiladas are a fave, and I'm crazy about tacos, also with beef.

Chinese is reserved for holidays or birthdays because there is one particular restaurant that serves one particular dish that we always get.  They put a lot of big shrimp in there and so it is pricey.  Special occasions only.  But it's nice to have something reserved for only a few times a year.

Also really enjoy sandwiches - all kinds.  I am to sandwiches what Homer Simpson is to doughnuts.

Soul Food - Chitlins, fried chicken, greens, cabbage, potato salad, peach cobbler?  Lawd have mercy!

Mexican - I am a total guac whore and love chorizo burritos....put 'em both together, with chipotle cream sauce?  OMG!

Italian - As a child I loved veal parmesan and still do....I am a sista and would challenge any Italian to a homemade red sauce cookoff, mine is that delicious.

• Love 1

The list is long, but here just some...

Chinese (Real Cantonese, Southern style) - Sticking to heritage here.

Thai - I love the curries and that mix of sweet, sour, spicy and refreshing.

Ethiopian - Oh, injera. I will make you.

South Indian and Sri Lankan - It uses more coconut milk and is similar to Thai and SE Asian food.

British/modern British - Basically food from BBC and Channel 4 food shows. I like potatoes, roast meats, veg, and seafood.

There is a lot more, but I'll leave it at that for now. 

• Love 1

Italian. Italianitalianitalianitalianitalian. I could eat it every meal for the rest of my life and never get tired of it. Granted, I'd weigh 800 pounds and die early, but I'd die happy.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 4

I am a sista and would challenge any Italian to a homemade red sauce cookoff, mine is that delicious.

I'm neither sista nor Italian so I guess I don't have the knack.  I've been fooling around with red sauce for ages trying to make a really good one but have never ended up with one that impressed me.  Would you care to share what you put in yours?

• Love 1

I'm neither sista nor Italian so I guess I don't have the knack.  I've been fooling around with red sauce for ages trying to make a really good one but have never ended up with one that impressed me.  Would you care to share what you put in yours?

I make excellent red sauce and I am Italian. I could go on and on about the nuances, but if you are not cooking some sort of pork in the sauce you will never make impressive sauce.

• Love 2

I don't think I really have an all-time favorite; I checked "other" for Ethiopian since I get it so rarely. But I like most cuisines. Not big on Thai, though. Or american-styled Chinese. I'm really picky about Mexican, not necessarily in a good way though. I tend to the more Taco Bell Mexican, and I live in a town with several really good authentic Mexican restaurants.

My tops (other then Ethiopian): Greek, Italian, and southern US.

• Love 1

You have to vote in both, even if you didn't choose Asian in the first one, so it was suggested to just pick "Other" for that second one if it doesn't apply to you.

Anyway, yes, there is a huge difference (but I'm the opposite of you -- I love Mexican, and hate Tex-Mex).

Opps didn't read first and just voted for both categories.

I really like Italian food. Particularly Chicken Parm, Pizza and pasta.

I put Japanize but I'm honestly not a huge Asian food fan. I'll eat it if I'm offered it but not my first choice. I do however, like stir-fries.