Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: New Haunts

• Start Topic

I certainly didn't like it as much as last week's, but I appreciate that they had to do a Commonwealth 101 episode to give us a base for moving forward. Pamela is the very picture of an out-of-touch leader. Did she come to power solely on the coattails of her (presumably) admired dead president daddy. And what became of Mr. Pamela? One or both of them did a piss-poor job of parenting to end up with the worthless meat puppet that is Sebastian.

I loved that Ezekiel has a zoo job again - even if it is a petting zoo. Loved that Jerry finally stopped calling him Boss. (Also the youngun playing Ezra is the cutest child actor in the world.) Loved Ezekiel and Carol are finally comfortable with each other.

My girl Carol was being all Carollicious tonight. It brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my lips to see her back to her old tricks. Pink Suit (Homan) better be smarter than to think that he can stay even one step ahead of her in their future partnership.

Really interesting to find out that Connie was a kick-ass investigative reporter back in the day.

Princess and Mercer are my new ship.

I suspect that Daryl will be sticking with the Storm Troopers solely because of Judith and RJ. He's their sole support in a new community that for whatever the fuck reason decided to keep a poverty class struggling. Seriously, what's with the post-ZA capitalism? I'm here for the revolution that I'm sniffing in the Commonwealth air.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, maystone said:

Really interesting to find out that Connie was a kick-ass investigative reporter back in the day.

How old is Connie supposed to be? She's lost at least 10 years in the apocalypse, yet her previous writings took out a congressman. I'm sure Ms. Milton has some payback planned for that.

Daryl in uniform gave me a glorious belly laugh.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, maystone said:

I certainly didn't like it as much as last week's, but I appreciate that they had to do a Commonwealth 101 episode to give us a base for moving forward. Pamela is the very picture of an out-of-touch leader. Did she come to power solely on the coattails of her (presumably) admired dead president daddy. And what became of Mr. Pamela? One or both of them did a piss-poor job of parenting to end up with the worthless meat puppet that is Sebastian.

Princess and Mercer are my new ship.

I suspect that Daryl will be sticking with the Storm Troopers solely because of Judith and RJ. He's their sole support in a new community that for whatever the fuck reason decided to keep a poverty class struggling. Seriously, what's with the post-ZA capitalism? I'm here for the revolution that I'm sniffing in the Commonwealth air.

I enjoyed watching everyone adapt to the Commonwealth. It reminds me of when Rick & family showed up in Alexandria many seasons ago.

I like Darryl & Rosita as storm troopers. Their skills would be very valuable to the Commonwealth.

Pamela is an interesting character. I would love to know how she became Governor of the Commonwealth.

It looks like the Commonwealth is located in Dover Ohio based on the invoices from the wine shop.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I didn't like it as much as last week but, there's something about this storyline that works for me.

I liked Princess last season and was happy to see her tonight. I can totally get behind Princess/Mercer.

I've always liked Rosita but, damn she needs to put her hair up when on duty. Sorry it bugged me, even if it was nice and shiny

I was surprised to find out that Connie was a big time investigative reporter, she looks so young I figured she was mostly a kid when the apocalypse happened.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, oakville said:

I enjoyed watching everyone adapt to the Commonwealth. It reminds me of when Rick & family showed up in Alexandria many seasons ago.

I like Darryl & Rosita as storm troopers. Their skills would be very valuable to the Commonwealth.

Pamela is an interesting character. I would love to know how she became Governor of the Commonwealth.

It looks like the Commonwealth is located in Dover Ohio based on the invoices from the wine shop.

I noted those Ohio addresses, but my mind couldn't really process what they were trying to convey to us. Eugene and his crew on bikes and on foot from D.C. to Ohio to secure food for a starving Alexandria? Although I can't remember what the state of Alexandria was when Eugene and crew left. That's a huge logistics problem for me.  

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 2

Why was everyone cleaned up except for Daryl? Princess got a complete makeover and a blowout and everyone else was nice and tidy. But Daryl still looks like he hasn't bathed in about five weeks. At the very least, they could have cut and washed that greasy, stringy mass of hair on his head. I don't know what it is about the actor and/or character but he always looks so dirty.

I suppose the Commonwealth is the most interesting thing the show has done since maybe Season 6, but the show has just moved so far beyond its original premise it's not even the same show anymore. As it was, I didn't even know half the characters names anymore and now they're just adding more of them in the Commonwealth. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Iguessnot said:

I noted those Ohio addresses, but my mind couldn't really process what they were trying to convey to us. Eugene and his crew on bikes and on foot from D.C. to Ohio to secure food for a starving Alexandria? Although I can't remember what that state of Alexandria was when Eugene and crew left. That's a huge logistics problem for me.  

I assume that Alexandria Safe zone is located in Alexandria Virginia which is a suburb close to D.C. I agree that it is not logical to travel that far on bicycles to get food.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Why was everyone cleaned up except for Daryl? Princess got a complete makeover and a blowout and everyone else was nice and tidy. But Daryl still looks like he hasn't bathed in about five weeks. At the very least, they could have cut and washed that greasy, stringy mass of hair on his head. I don't know what it is about the actor and/or character but he always looks so dirty.

I suppose the Commonwealth is the most interesting thing the show has done since maybe Season 6, but the show has just moved so far beyond its original premise it's not even the same show anymore. As it was, I didn't even know half the characters names anymore and now they're just adding more of them in the Commonwealth. 

I agree with you about Daryl.

I am happy that the group got to the Commonwealth. It's bizarre that the city seems to have a permanent state fair on its main streets.

I would love to find out where they get the flour to bake the cookies & how the electricity is generated for the region.

They don't seem to have access to an oil refinery,so they can't drive to far.

• Love 2

The amount of concealer on Norman Reedus' face, good lord.

Judith and the record / record player reminded me of Georgie with her record bartering and her van. I always thought Georgie came from the Commonwealth, but I guess not. I wonder if there was some sort of easter egg thing going on with Judith's record.

The Commonwealth is weird.

• Love 1

I'm always amazed when other people/communities come about and how they managed to live a relatively normal life of sorts while our main characters was slicing people throat for a can of peas. But I suppose the first few seasons would not have been interesting without the struggle but it still makes me a little sad (even though it's fictional) to see how others in the world are thriving and remembering Rick sleeping in a horse barn smashing acorns just to feed Judith. I'm way too invested 😂

• Love 8

8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I've always liked Rosita but, damn she needs to put her hair up when on duty. Sorry it bugged me, even if it was nice and shiny

Not just on duty, but whenever she's out fighting walkers.  Her hair should be in a French braid or something, close to her head.  

This episode wasn't bad, but not as good as last week's.  I liked that Daryl is now the sole caretaker of Judith & RJ and has to think of them instead of himself.  Although I still think last week's flash forward confrontation is a fake out.

Good to see Carol up to her old tricks.  She's definitely gonna pull one over on second in command guy.  Sorry, can't remember all these names.

Almost didn't recognize Princess without all her fluff.  Looks good.  And what's with the dress code comment?  She was dressed nice.

Rosita is definitely going to the resistance.  Daryl, too, I think.

Random thoughts:

WTF with having a zombie haunted maze?  Things are just so ho-hum in the Commonwealth?

Carol finding that wine was a little ridiculous.  Like the storm troopers wouldn't have cleared the houses close to the Commonwealth?

Magna better watch her ass.  She was loitering with her buddies and I don't think that's a good thing for the peons to be doing.

• Love 5

I'm always amazed when other people/communities come about and how they managed to live a relatively normal life of sorts while our main characters was slicing people throat for a can of peas. But I suppose the first few seasons would not have been interesting without the struggle but it still makes me a little sad (even though it's fictional) to see how others in the world are thriving and remembering Rick sleeping in a horse barn smashing acorns just to feed Judith.

Yeah, I mean how long has the Commonwealth existed? We are about 15-16 years into the zombie apocalypse now, right? It seems like these kinds of places had to have been around for a long while. 

And what's with the dress code comment?  She was dressed nice

I can only think of two things. One: that she was actually wearing a very cheap looking princess costume dress but we are unable to tell from seeing it on TV. Two: that it was a subtle way of saying she's not a "first class passenger", so she's not allowed into the party. I'm not sure the writing is clever enough for the latter scenario though.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, maystone said:

a new community that for whatever the fuck reason decided to keep a poverty class struggling. Seriously, what's with the post-ZA capitalism? 

Maintaining capitalism is one of the most disappointing aspects of the Commonwealth. You had a chance to start over and it's back to a money-based society, really?

And the clear class division is all very Brave New World. 

Eat the rich, motherfuckers!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Why was everyone cleaned up except for Daryl? Princess got a complete makeover and a blowout and everyone else was nice and tidy. But Daryl still looks like he hasn't bathed in about five weeks.

Only five weeks?  That is a makeover for Daryl.

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, madmax said:

Not just on duty, but whenever she's out fighting walkers.  Her hair should be in a French braid or something, close to her head.  

Pretty much what I meant it was down during the training exercise and that really bugged me. I even commented about her hair in the live thread 😂

• Love 1
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Daryl's last recorded shower was the Season 1 finale at the CDC 😅😅😅😅

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
9 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I wonder if there was some sort of easter egg thing going on with Judith's record.

Yes, it was the band Motorhead and it was their song

4 hours ago, Starchild said:

Eat the rich

that played during the montage where Rosita discovered all the resistance material.

17 hours ago, Boofish said:

I'm always amazed when other people/communities come about and how they managed to live a relatively normal life of sorts while our main characters was slicing people throat for a can of peas. But I suppose the first few seasons would not have been interesting without the struggle but it still makes me a little sad (even though it's fictional) to see how others in the world are thriving and remembering Rick sleeping in a horse barn smashing acorns just to feed Judith. I'm way too invested 😂

One of the main themes of TWD is that Rick & his friends would approach a settlement like Woodbury or Alexandria or the farm & end up destroying them. Sure, there were a valid reason for killing the Governor, but Alexandria was like a mini Commonwealth when Rick arrived.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, oakville said:

One of the main themes of TWD is that Rick & his friends would approach a settlement like Woodbury or Alexandria or the farm & end up destroying them. Sure, there were a valid reason for killing the Governor, but Alexandria was like a mini Commonwealth when Rick arrived.

A quote from “The Andromeda Strain” regarding crises:

Gladstone, upon hearing of the death of "Chinese" Gordon in Egypt, was reported to have muttered irritably that his general might have chosen a more propitious time to die: Gordon's death threw the Gladstone government into turmoil and crisis. An aide suggested that the circumstances were unique and unpredictable, to which Gladstone crossly answered: "All crises are the same” .… According to Lewis Bornheim, a crisis is a situation in which a previously tolerable set of circumstances is suddenly, by the addition of another factor, rendered wholly intolerable. Whether the additional factor is political, economic, or scientific hardly matters: the death of a national hero, the instability of prices, or a technological discovery can all set events in motion. In this sense, Gladstone was right: all crises are the same.

In this context, CDB is invariably the “other factor” which tips the scales towards self-destruction and oblivion - but hey, at least they brought dinner.  😄

Edited by Nashville
Dinner time, Pa!
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Something is wrong with me-I actually enjoyed this episode.  I am shocked!  It's the first episode I have just enjoyed for several seasons (yes, I am a viewer who will stick with a show to the bitter end...).  Maybe it was because I could see most of the scenes because of the lighting (versus listening to scenes because I can't see anything).  Of course, it may also be that it reminded me of previous seasons when Rick's group (or affiliated members) found Woodstock, Terminus, Alexandria, etc., and it seemed like they found a safe untouched place in which to settle down without knowing about the underlying issues and tensions.  I also like Daryl's family (kids and dog...).  

I know it won't be long until I'm just watching the episodes in order to get through them again, but I really did like this episode.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, oakville said:

I.e, "You people are the plague", one of the best quotes of the whole series.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Bad Example said:

I.e, "You people are the plague", one of the best quotes of the whole series.

Agreed. I have not read the comics but it is a constant theme in FTWD & TWD that the protagonists arrive in a settlement & end up destroying it.

(edited)
9 hours ago, oakville said:

Agreed. I have not read the comics but it is a constant theme in FTWD & TWD that the protagonists arrive in a settlement & end up destroying it.

I have a few more thoughts on this topic - but let’s relocate this discussion to a better home than an episode thread….

ETA: response posted here.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 2

I guess Im in the minority.  Nothing bores me more than the Commonwealth.  Glad Carol is one not drinking the Kool aid.  I understand Daryl's reasons.  They all conformed quickly.  I figured Carol was going to have 146 people to kill. 😉

• Love 1

Nothing bores me more than the Commonwealth.  Glad Carol is one not drinking the Kool aid.  I understand Daryl's reasons

I'm not buying into Daryl drinking the Commonwealth Kool-Aid, even with the flash-forward scene we got last week. I think he's just playing nice to get intel like he did with Pope and his crew. He's playing the long con.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not buying into Daryl drinking the Commonwealth Kool-Aid, even with the flash-forward scene we got last week. I think he's just playing nice to get intel like he did with Pope and his crew. He's playing the long con.

Agreed. Darryl i too street smart to follow the Commonwealth bureaucrats.

• Love 3

Kudos to The Walking Dead for remaining one of the most reliably awful shows on television.   Even the characters seem hardly surprised things may not be as civilized as they seem in the Commonwealth.  They're shooting each other looks like, "Yeah, I know, I know, we've been through this before, with the Governor, with Tovah Feldshuh, we've seen the same plot in a hundred other sci/fi fantasy shows ... but it's a paycheck, right?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 5