Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Don’t Get Eaten

Cranberry
  • Start Topic

I did enjoy sassy Saint Conchita, but the way things turned out with Christian Vilanelle was very predictable.
About 5 minutes into the first episode I realised how little I remember from the previous seasons. I'll swim along to see how they decide to wrap this up.

• Love 7

Of course Villanelle's version of Jesus was herself in drag. Of course. I found it entertaining, but I'm glad the religious stuff (seemingly) isn't going to drag on for long.

I like that Eve is front and center again. I love Villanelle, but I feel like last season became the Villanelle show, with her off doing her own thing too much of the time and not furthering the main plot. Give me more badass Eve, and give me more of the two of them together. I really want to know what happened after the bridge to make Eve go so reckless and Villanelle become consumed with proving she's "good."

• Love 14
On 2/27/2022 at 2:07 PM, Cranberry said:

Of course Villanelle's version of Jesus was herself in drag. Of course. I found it entertaining, but I'm glad the religious stuff (seemingly) isn't going to drag on for long.

Wow, who knew Jesus was into the smoky eye look? I could do without Villanelle having weird hallucinations.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

I like that Eve is front and center again. I love Villanelle, but I feel like last season became the Villanelle show, with her off doing her own thing too much of the time and not furthering the main plot. Give me more badass Eve, and give me more of the two of them together.

My husband said something similar: he said the “Villanelle goes Christian” side story could/should have been done in a previous season, but being that it’s the final season and there aren’t that many more episodes left, Villanelle needs to stop wandering around and get back into the main action ASAP.

The best scene was Eve at Helene’s with the hot stove.  “Does it hurt?”  “Only if I let it.”

Second favorite scene was Carolyn’s reaction on learning the woman with the donkey tattoo had been killed.  Sure, Carolyn should have realized that was going to happen, but Fiona Shaw is so excellent as always she really sold Carolyn’s complicated reaction.

• Love 6

The whole Villanelle plot line is confusing.  First, if Eve knows where V is living, why hasn't V been arrested for multiple murders?  I know Eve and V have a, um, complicated (?) relationship, but why is Eve allowing V to roam the streets freely? 

Second, how is it that no one in the camp responded to the screams from the tent?  I kept expecting that whole scene to be a dream sequence, but nope.  She really killed them.  Did she kill all the campers, going tent by tent and silently breaking necks first?  Are they all out on a night hike?  How is it no one heard that and ran out of their tent?

I am liking Eve's plot line.  I love her being a bad ass, going rogue and hunting down The Twelve.  Or hunting down the person who is hunting down The Twelve.  But I honestly don't know what her motivation is for this.  And what was with the slinky get up, fake braid, etc., in the bar scene?  Not sure what the point of that was.

I love this show, I'm in until the end.  But damn, I'm confused.

• Love 20
(edited)

Villanelle is increasingly just a cartoon and I hate it. The first two seasons she was an unpredictable, scary psychopath. She did crazy shit because she had no capacity for remorse. She killed because she was paid to kill and didn’t care because, why would she? She was a psychopath. 

Now? She is a cartoon… I cannot stand what has been done to her character. From a menacing, interesting psycho to a caricature. Makes me sad that such an intriguing character is gone. 

I like Eve’s storyline thus far, but cringe (for the wrong reasons) when Villanelle comes onscreen.

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 20

On 2/27/2022 at 1:21 PM, Aulty said:

About 5 minutes into the first episode I realised how little I remember from the previous seasons. I'll swim along to see how they decide to wrap this up.

lol, that's pretty much where I'm at.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Lunula said:

Villanelle is increasingly just a cartoon and I hate it. The first two seasons she was an unpredictable, scary psychopath. She did crazy shit because she had no capacity for remorse. She killed because she was paid to kill and didn’t care because, why would she? She was a psychopath. 

Now? She is a cartoon… I cannot stand what has been done to her character. From a menacing, interesting psycho to a caricature. Makes me sad that such an intriguing character is gone. 

I am watching the second ep now and I can't believe how much time they are spending on JesusVillanelle. I really really do not like or want this. Please make it stop. I used to love this show and the storylines of both leads. I really hope it turns around but I have a feeling this may be my least favorite season. I would hope they'd go out with a bang,but it's still early.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

So we just sat through it.  Mr. ECats asked after the second slug of ads got fast forward threatment, "Is this worth watching?"  I couldn't help myself, I said "Only with fast forward."

By the end of the forty minutes I was beginning to think my answer should have been "No."

What happened to our stylish, clever, bright days and dark nights?  Jump around all over Europe and keep it so dark that they have to insert the city names in color?

Remember the surroundings of the good old days, when we read that Britain's Prince William had visited the filming and got to take one of the spare  blue print pajamas (that Villanelle had worn on the streets of Paris) home with him?

How many VillaJesu will appear at next year's Mardi Gras or Fashing or Carnivale, or will no one remember or care by then?

• Love 9
(edited)

The way Jodie said that line, something like "Ohhh, think about it, a little harder."  I rewound that part probably 15 times.

I'm so happy they kept the tent murders partially obscured from us so I didn't have to see so much.

On 2/27/2022 at 5:07 PM, Cranberry said:

I like that Eve is front and center again. 

They gave Eve some really sexy outfits this episode.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 3/2/2022 at 1:40 AM, bobbyjoe said:

Second favorite scene was Carolyn’s reaction on learning the woman with the donkey tattoo had been killed.  Sure, Carolyn should have realized that was going to happen, but Fiona Shaw is so excellent as always she really sold Carolyn’s complicated reaction.

Who was that woman?  I missed Carolyn's description from earlier.

• Love 2

How many VillaJesu will appear at next year's Mardi Gras or Fashing or Carnivale, or will no one remember or care by then?

If I can squeeze into it, sure...

• LOL 2

As stand-alone episodes, these are fairly amusing, but as a wrap-up to a series, they are pretty bad. 

I loved Carolyn returning the rat in a box to Vlad. Hee.

Sandra Oh looked great in that dress in the restaurant. I wish Hélène weren't so similar to Villanelle. 

I don't need to see Villanelle and Eve together all the time, but it would be nice to know they're working toward similar ends or have some connection. Right now they're miles apart.

• Love 7

I'm happy the Jesus stuff seems to be over and done with as that was becoming increasingly difficult to tolerate. This show doesn't work when they have the core four off doing their own things. While they're not together, at least for now Carolyn and Eve seem to be on parallel tracks. Curious to see how Konstantin will fit into all of this. 

I am absolutely LOVING the material they are giving Sandra Oh to work with after the debacle that was series 3. I hope they keep it up. And sexy, determined, somewhat confident Eve could get it. 😍

• Love 5

Wasn't the scene in Helene's kitchen a shoutout to the first season when Villanelle showed up at Eve's while she was making dinner?

Lack of Konstantin is what's wrong with all of this.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

I had to force myself to finish this episode.  I will try to finish the season as I am one to stay with a series until the end even though it deteriorates over time (hello Walking Dead).  I am confused and bored which isn't a great combination.  I guess I don't get the point of killing the pastor and his daughter-just leave.  It's not like they will go after her or anything.  Now I guess she just kills when someone doesn't like her?  

Eve looks like she is playing tough and ruthless, but it just doesn't ring true for me.  And I really don't care about Carolyn's adventures in Russia (especially now-the show is in a tough spot as it tonally doesn't match current events).

Yes, I am here until the end, but it saddens me that the show that I just loved and couldn't wait for the next episode and here I am just barely making it through the episodes.  Hopefully it picks up a bit before the bitter end.

• Love 18

So far, this is totally incoherent.  I'm wondering if Villenelle killed the other church people or just the Vicar and his daughter.  Amazing how such a beautiful face/body can be so evil and psychopathic.  

Why has Caroline defected to the Russians?  Now that we know they killed the one woman in the 3 photos, we can figure that the annoying twerp could be on the hit list as well.

If somebody else is killing The Twelve, why is Eve still trying to find them?  I'm just totally confused.  

• Love 7
(edited)

I think Villanelle killed the pastor because he was a lying hypocrit.  He wanted everyone else to repent their sins, and didn't tell he was driving drunk in the accident that killed his wife, and the daughter's mother.      I think she killed the daughter, because the daughter helped the pastor hide the truth about him being responsible for the wife's death.       I wonder if Villanelle killed everyone else at the church camp too?  

I'm just hoping Carolyn doesn't stop the assassin before they kill the annoying twerp off too (Hugo?).   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

I'm wondering if Villenelle killed the other church people or just the Vicar and his daughter.  

7 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder if Villanelle killed everyone else at the church camp too?  

Not a massive spoiler, but it will be mentioned in episode 3:

Spoiler

She killed only the 2, the vicar and his daughter.

• Useful 5

Quite amazing that Villanelle was able to kill both the vicar and his daughter in close quarters, with a tent spike, and get barely a drop of blood on her.

It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who is very confused with what’s going on in these first two episodes. It appears that much of it won’t matter, but I guess it makes the writers feel good.

• Love 4
(edited)

Okay, this episode almost completely lost me. I found some of that imagery just too disturbing, which is saying something since I've watched it from the beginning.

I've seen a theory that Yusuf is working for Helene, to help her keep a step ahead of Eve. Ehh, I sure hope not because that'll mean someone will likely kill him when his cover is blown. AFAIC his hotness is one of few bright spots in this season.

Second, how is it that no one in the camp responded to the screams from the tent?  I kept expecting that whole scene to be a dream sequence, but nope.  She really killed them.  Did she kill all the campers, going tent by tent and silently breaking necks first?  Are they all out on a night hike?  How is it no one heard that and ran out of their tent?

Yes. I was also thinking it would turn out to be Villanelle's dream. What was the point?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3

This season has been bad so far.
And confusing. 
And really grim.
Without any of the needed humor.
And basically boring.
The whole Villanelle thing was like taken from a rejected Hannibal script. I do not really get why this story was needed and what it had to add to her character. We already knew she is nuts. She didn't have to kill a cat or a vicar and his daughter to prove us.
Whatever this whole thing was, it was terrible.
It is like if the creator of the story wants to show us how much he or she hates Villanelle's character or something.
In other news I have no clue what is going on, who is after who and why and so far I do not care.
The only tad interesting plot is Eve and her beau. 

• Love 3