Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 2/14/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

Whenever I sense Whoopi is going to go off on a tangent to “educate” the rest of us I completely tune out.  I don’t think she’s enlightened me in any way during her years on the show other than the fact that she lacks humility. 

Well said.  She also lacks the gravitas that she mistakenly thinks she has so her grandiose moments of wisdom sharing come off as the embarrassing ramblings of a blowhard most of the time but because of her lack of humility, she doesn't see it.  And because she is a bully with a huge ego(t) nobody is brave enough to get real with her and tell her.  It's much easier and safer to just act like all of that nonsense that falls out of her mouth is deep and enlightening. 

36 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

It is a hip hop song OPP.

That has been running through my head since yesterday!  I even woke up singing it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

It's much easier and safer to just act like all of that nonsense that falls out of her mouth is deep and enlightening. 

And that is called enabling someone who has a problem. Her being allowed to be awful as moderator has been detrimental to the show.  Anytime she isn't there for any length of time you can see the difference.  There will be as string of enjoyable shows and then she comes back and the show goes right back to being a mess.

• Love 11

I already dislike this chickie. In her first contribution she resorted to the classic “I agree it’s awful, but… here’s what I really think.”

The no fly list isn’t just about mask mandates. It’s about dangerous passengers for whatever reason. And Sunny, yes, the flight attendants should certainly be who decides. That’s what they are trained for!  Their job is to ensure the safety of all passengers. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

I am billing you for this conversation????  Whoopie and her sweatshirt message today🙄

3 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Shut up Whoopie! she talks and talks and talks but says nothing important..

Is she charging us by the word?  Or by coherent thought?  Because that's going to make a big difference come bill time. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

The guest co-host tried to BothSides the Sandy Hook settlement against a gun manufacturer with Texas' vigilante-style abortion ban... For those two things to be equivalent, they'd have to have sued individual gun owners, sued any and all friends who knew those gun owners had guns, the store that sold them the guns, etc. etc. What a leap!

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

No she did not.  The whole tone of the show changes when she is there. Why can't TPTB see that? She really drags it down.

I don't think Whoopi likes playing second fiddle.

Although I did appreciate her thoughts on Oscar voting. It's not just (or not supposed to be) a popularity contest.  People in their individual fields are voting for people who did what they think was the best in their fields.  With that being said I didn't think her performance in Ghost deserved the Oscar that year.  She was good in the role but I thought she deserved to win for The Color Purple.

I hate when she does that.  It makes her sound stupid and beneath how a moderator should act.

I think Sunny heard it because she had a smile on her face but I don't think the others heard it or if they did got the reference.  Just hearing OPP takes me back to the early 90s. Sara is quick on her feet. She comes up with some pretty funny things off the cuff.

There is a valid argument to be made that she won for Ghost to make up for the fact that she really should have won for The Color Purple. 

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
59 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

I am billing you for this conversation????  Whoopie and her sweatshirt message today🙄

Why is she wearing a lawyer shirt? I guess this is some fucking Melania style passive-aggressive shit from her. I suspect Whoopi is on thin ice. Yes, she is getting paid for these conversations and someone is getting the short end of the stick. She is still seething about her suspension.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

During the Oscar discussion Whoopi didn’t make it clear that it’s only in the nomination process when actors only vote for actors, cinematographers only vote for cinematographers, etc. After the nominations are announced the entire membership votes in every category. 

Edited by TimWil
  • Useful 12
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

Whenever I sense Whoopi is going to go off on a tangent to “educate” the rest of us I completely tune out.  I don’t think she’s enlightened me in any way during her years on the show other than the fact that she lacks humility. 

7 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:
7 hours ago, Cementhead said:

It's much easier and safer to just act like all of that nonsense that falls out of her mouth is deep and enlightening. 

And that is called enabling someone who has a problem. Her being allowed to be awful as moderator has been detrimental to the show. 

5 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

For Gawd's sake, she's so inept!!!

1.  Because it needs to be written and read over and over!
  2.  Because she's a HORRIBLE moderator.
  3. Because she CANNOT READ a teleprompter

Let her stay on the panel.  She has "the goods" on someone, so I've finally thrown in the towel.  If I'm going to watch, I'm stuck with the All-Knowing ego EGOT.   Just give her a job that appears extremely important--where she doesn't have to read or introduce a person or a topic.  Let her pontificate from a fancy throne in the middle of the table.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

If I'm ever forced to slap a human,  I'LL SLAP THE SMUG OFF SUNNY'S INSUFFERABLE JUDGMENTAL FACE.

I don't want anything bad, embarrassing, dangerous, or harmful to happen to her children, but WTF???

(I can't IMAGINE what goes on behind the scenes of any schools, teams, or organizations where her children are involved. There's probably never a bad grade--never a correction.  Will they always "make the team," and be elected, chosen, etc.?  Will they think they did it all on their own?)  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Because I’m old I don’t know what this means. 

Funny enough, the opening lyrics are O.P.P. How can I explain it?  😊

7 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

You know whenever Whoopi says, “Listen!” we’re in for a diatribe.

True. It's like Whoopi says "Listen," then shows that she doesn't. The thing is (another of her favorite lines) she really does have some interesting things to say. Her life and career have given her incredible experiences, so she's had plenty opportunities to learn different things. Whoopi gets in trouble when she acts as if she is the only one worth listening to and that she was appointed from on high to be the Supreme Sage of All Things.

7 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

There is a valid argument to be made that she won for Ghost to make up for the fact that she really should have won for The Color Purple. 

I have always thought this. The Academy is notorious for doing that kind of thing.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 7

Less than ten minutes in and I already don't like Lauren Wright.  Her comparing gun makers being held responsible for their product killing someone to a company making a household product being sued for their product killing someone was ridiculous.  I don't see Clorox marketing their product as a weapon.

Also she was introduced as a conservative commentator.  Are progressive commentators introduced as progressive commentators?

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

If I'm ever forced to slap a human,  I'LL SLAP THE SMUG OFF SUNNY'S INSUFFERABLE JUDGMENTAL FACE.

I don't want anything bad, embarrassing, dangerous, or harmful to happen to her children, but WTF???

(I can't IMAGINE what goes on behind the scenes of any schools, teams, or organizations where her children are involved. There's probably never a bad grade--never a correction.  Will they always "make the team," and be elected, chosen, etc.?  Will they think they did it all on their own?)  

According to her, that's the way she was raised and she turned out ok. (Although taking years to get over someone telling her she wasn't "host" material suggests that she didn't get many rejections to help her build up a bit of a callus to criticism.) 

This kind of "my kid right or wrong" parenting isn't a new thing, but maybe it is more prevalent now. In one of my early careers I would sometimes have to talk to parents who couldn't imagine that their kid wasn't the best at something.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

Haha I said that exact thing to a friend of mine when he was watching wrestling WWE.  Something about men strutting around wearing speedos and all oiled up, grabbing the microphone and pontificating til the cows come home.  My eyes instantly glaze over.  The wall comes down.  It's better than meditation.  Well and putting a golf game on TV.  The announcers do it for me every time.  Out like a light.

• Love 4

I found the no fly list discussion to be totally unbearable to listen to. its totally within the realm of discussion to ask if a blanket government ban is the right thing to do and if we should even trust the govt to do it. If other airlines are willing to let on passengers who were considered unruly on another, why stop them? and this just kind of seems like another door to potential discrimination if a flight attendant can just say she wants this passenger barred because she considered them unruly when it could've just been an excuse. idk... the patriot act and no fly list have been very problematic. doesn't seem like you have to be so dismissive of the topic Whoopi...

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Yes!  When Sunny said she was a tiger mom, I wanted to scream, "No, you're a helicopter parent!  Not the same!"  Also, sending your 19 year old son a valentine at college?  Then reading his thank you text on air?  Does she want poor Gabriel to have no dating life whatsoever?  If some guy in college had told me that his mom had sent him chocolate for Valentine's Day (and chocolate from some fancy store too, not even like homemade fudge she makes every year or something), that would have set off every "mama's boy" red flag in my system.  Sunny is totally the type of woman who's going to be competitive with whoever her son dates. 

And speaking of the Valentine's Day show, I don't know what rich school Sarah went to growing up but at my elementary schools, all we ever exchanged were cards.  There sometimes would be one kid whose mom decided to be a little extra that year and they'd hand out the cards with a sucker attached but other than that, it was just straight cards.  Also, I love receiving cards for any occassion so I don't know why she was acting like just handing out cards was some kind of abomination.  

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

And speaking of the Valentine's Day show, I don't know what rich school Sarah went to growing up but at my elementary schools, all we ever exchanged were cards.  There sometimes would be one kid whose mom decided to be a little extra that year and they'd hand out the cards with a sucker attached but other than that, it was just straight cards.  Also, I love receiving cards for any occassion so I don't know why she was acting like just handing out cards was some kind of abomination

Same here! When I was in elementary school, we all exchanged cards! And also made them like Ana described-draw half a ❤️ on red, pink folded construction paper, then cut it, open and voilà! ❤️ cards!!!

And despite my parents-especially my mother, who was strict, they had no problems with this and thought it was great fun.

I’m SO GLAD I was a kid when I was a kid.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

And speaking of the Valentine's Day show, I don't know what rich school Sarah went to growing up but at my elementary schools, all we ever exchanged were cards.

I was in elementary school (Catholic) 1946-1954.  We started making Valentine boxes in 3rd/4th grade...little decorated boxes with a slit for the cards.  I can't remember how we put the cards in kids' boxes, but it was in secret somehow.  I think the girls put cards in the boys' boxes during first recess and the boys took their turn at after-lunch recess. 

Some of the girls who liked particular boys would put more than one (more than two) valentines in their boxes.  The secret method was so YOU wouldn't know if I didn't give a card to you, etc. (until you got home).  We decorated them at home (rarely professional looking). Usually created by kids and others had A LOT OF HELP (cough-cough, Sunny).  The only time anyone had candy was in 5th grade when Larry gave a small/cute heart-shaped box of chocolates to Willena. 

The note said, "Don't tell anyone about this."  Sadly, we had a Camp Fire Girls meeting after school and she showed it to those of us who walked together to our leader's house...and then shared chocolates with everyone.  I agree with you, Snapdragon...and I think Sara's memory is wrong.  HOW many packs of candy did each kid get?  Hard to believe.

Edited by Back Atcha
4 hours ago, KittyQ said:

According to her, that's the way she was raised and she turned out ok.

She turned out ok, "according to her."  I assume that by now every friend she has ever had--every relative--including her husband and children--have given up.  They've tried to explain that she's TOO MUCH--too much of everything.  She knows better.  It will be interesting to hear any stories about her children's romances and (eventually) significant others.  Can you IMAGINE her as your mother-in-law?

• Love 2
On 2/15/2022 at 9:47 PM, Buckeye71034 said:

Does anyone else remember when Whoopi complained on-air because she was not included in a NYT article on EGOT winners?  That was a lightbulb moment for me in regards to Whoopi's fragile yet massive ego. I also remember Barbara trying to pacify and console her (lol) but she was really pissed off about it. 

From 2011 - here is the quote from Whoopi:   "When you win an Academy Award, that’s part of what you’ve done, your legacy,” Goldberg said on The View today, plopping her Oscar down on the table. “I will always be Academy Award winner Whoopi Goldberg. This is not hidden information … It’s hard to not take it personally."  

I love the bolded part.  She actually brought her Oscar to the show, JFC.

• Useful 4
15 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Her being allowed to be awful as moderator has been detrimental to the show. 

WHY?  WHY?  WHY?

• Why won't someone tell us WHO has the power to keep her there "no matter what" ?
  • Why do so many (too many) celebrities show up and kiss her feet, thus assuring TPTB that she's the best?
  • Why do I keep watching this show when she makes it so difficult?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Yes!  When Sunny said she was a tiger mom, I wanted to scream, "No, you're a helicopter parent!  Not the same!" 

Or a bed bug.

• They show up in the stranges places and times.
  • Just when you "know" they're gone...there they are again.
  • You can never get rid of them (unless you move--and maybe not even then!)

6 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

If some guy in college had told me that his mom had sent him chocolate for Valentine's Day (and chocolate from some fancy store too, not even like homemade fudge she makes every year or something), that would have set off every "mama's boy" red flag in my system.

<small voice>  I always sent my kids Valentine's care packages at school.  I still send them cards.  <shrug>

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Or a bed bug.

• They show up in the stranges places and times.
  • Just when you "know" they're gone...there they are again.
  • You can never get rid of them (unless you move--and maybe not even then!)

I think she’s actually a snowplow parent:

Snowplow parenting, also called lawnmower parenting or bulldozer parenting, is a parenting style that seeks to remove all obstacles from a child's path so they don't experience pain, failure, or discomfort.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

I think she’s actually a snowplow parent:

Snowplow parenting, also called lawnmower parenting or bulldozer parenting, is a parenting style that seeks to remove all obstacles from a child's path so they don't experience pain, failure, or discomfort.

That is pretty much what Sunny said yesterday. She also said that is how her parents raised her.  Which explains a lot.

So Sunny, Joy, Sara and even the guest cohost Lauren all had someone tell them they weren't going to succeed at something in their career. But Whoopi says nah never happened to me.  I don't believe that for one second.  Even if nobody actually said you are going to fail at something she has made some movies that were real clunkers.  Her career has not been smooth sailing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The term taking the mickey out of the liberals on the panel seems to be a tactic of the guest host.  She sure isn't trying to get a seat at the table behaving like MM.  I won't be watching if someone like this is the model TPTB are looking at for a replacement.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, mustbeme said:

Lauren is just as bad as MEgan, without the "my father".......she needs to go away.  Why can't we have Anna.

I had the show on in the background while I worked. I listened to her for about 15 seconds going on about that ridiculous "poll" and had had enough. 

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 8

Good to see Sunny is on point again with another Versace blouse (Wed).  She obviously has no taste in clothes but likes to show how special she is as they are among the most gaudy clothes available anywhere.

Her kids are going to hate her once they have to live in the real world and find out that they don't get a prize for breathing.

• Love 6

The guest was pretty vile in the discussion over police bias, for taking a topic that was already about race divisions and then using race to further divide the topic. As far as I know, none of the co-hosts had mentioned DefundthePolice other than her, and I'm pretty sure from past shows that the only outspoken supporter of the hashtag is Sunny. I believe the others have argued that the hashtag is easily smeared despite the fact they support reform. It was nonsensical and kind of disrespectful to Whoopi and Sunny to make the discussion about "White liberals think x" when the two people she was mainly arguing with were Black (as well as Latina in Sunny's case)...

When they were talking about masks in the first segment, and she tried to make some convoluted argument that liberals also politicized the pandemic because "something something mask rules changed, people had to wear masks while dining mumble mumble," as if that was equivalent to Joy's reference to conservatives spurring on anti-Asian American hatred and scaring people out of wearing masks or taking vaccines, I loved when Joy just looked at her like she was stupid, lol.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

Joy is still offended by a 1992 ad?  Offended enough to dig up the ad?  Alrighty then.

Joy frequently refers to pop culture moments that I think should be put to rest already. Between Monica Lewinsky to commercial taglines from the 70s and 80s, i think the younger audience can be confused and find it unrelatable. I don’t expect her to know all the real housewives (I sure don’t!) but I think she’s got to retire some of her jokes. 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Her kids are going to hate her once they have to live in the real world and find out that they don't get a prize for breathing.

If they ever allow themselves to FEEL ... or (godforbid) act out, they'll each find the equivalent of a horse's heads in their bed.

2 hours ago, mustbeme said:

Why can't we have Anna.

Ana doesn't WANT or NEED a permanent gig.  Life in Florida is fabulous.   (I hope you meant Ana Navarro)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The guest was pretty vile in the discussion over police bias, for taking a topic that was already about race divisions and then using race to further divide the topic. As far as I know, none of the co-hosts had mentioned DefundthePolice other than her, and I'm pretty sure from past shows that the only outspoken supporter of the hashtag is Sunny. I believe the others have argued that the hashtag is easily smeared despite the fact they support reform. It was nonsensical and kind of disrespectful to Whoopi and Sunny to make the discussion about "White liberals think x" when the two people she was mainly arguing with were Black (as well as Latina in Sunny's case)...

When they were talking about masks in the first segment, and she tried to make some convoluted argument that liberals also politicized the pandemic because "something something mask rules changed, people had to wear masks while dining mumble mumble," as if that was equivalent to Joy's reference to conservatives spurring on anti-Asian American hatred and scaring people out of wearing masks or taking vaccines, I loved when Joy just looked at her like she was stupid, lol.

I really hope that all of the hosts have a say in who gets hired.  I doubt that they did last time and it was a disaster.  Also whoever they hire should be on a 3-6 month tryout just to make sure that who they were during auditions is the same person they become when they're on the show full time.  So far, if i had to pick, I guess i'd pick Tara.  She seemed to be the one who could have some fun as well as be serious.  My preference is to stay with what they have and have Ana on a bit more (I'd say full time but i don't think she can do that being in FL).

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Joy is still offended by a 1992 ad?  Offended enough to dig up the ad?  Alrighty then.

Did Joy say what the ad was for? That would give context to the picture, and might make it less “offensive”.

Just now, Rainyhawk said:

Also whoever they hire should be on a 3-6 month tryout just to make sure that who they were during auditions is the same person they become when they're on the show full time.

I think THREE MONTHS is long enough.    Usually 2-3 days for me.

1 minute ago, Rainyhawk said:

So far, if i had to pick, I guess i'd pick Tara.

...but I think we're the minority.

• Love 4