Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

WOW. what a great final in Women's Slopestyle!

Canada's NUMBER FOUR (hehe). but holy crap that New Zealand rider and we've got our first NZ gold medal in the winter games. (also breaks the USA gold medal streak in this event)

• Love 2

Maybe it's because I'm almost 61 (and am therefore very mindful of the value of keeping my hips, knees, and ankles intact for as long as possible), but half the time I was watching, I kept thinking about what a number those jumps must be doing on the athletes' joints.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Snowboarding is just so amazing to watch, skateboarding wishes it was this cool.

i know. it's legit night and day. Skateboarding is so boring - Snowboarding is oneofmy favourite events.

This Chinese guy - 
OH MY GOD! WHAT THE EFF! THANK YOUlol i cracked up. (He qualified 1st)

• LOL 1
57 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Maybe it's because I'm almost 61 (and am therefore very mindful of the value of keeping my hips, knees, and ankles intact for as long as possible), but half the time I was watching, I kept thinking about what a number those jumps must be doing on the athletes' joints.

This and the skiing/moguls/jumping event has my knees, hips, and ankles crying out in sympathy. I don't know how they do it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
Just now, emma675 said:

This and the skiing/moguls/jumping event has my knees, hips, and ankles crying out in sympathy. I don't know how they do it.

Yeah, I watched the moguls, and all I could think about was how everyone would need hip and knee replacements before the age of 40.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Snowboarding is just so amazing to watch, skateboarding wishes it was this cool.

I was thinking the same thing- the skateboarding was just sooo boring with everybody falling, but the snowboarding and the skiing aerials and moguls are fun to watch.  

• Love 2

I really enjoyed watching this. And agree some of the falls... ow. But got respect them for getting right back up and finishing, despite it leading to a bad score. I am happy for the NZ snowboarder. 

• Love 1

No idea how these announcers can tell in real time if it's a 1440 or 1080.  It just happens so fast.  I'd need slow motion to decipher.

No medal for Red.  But it was hilarious when they showed his family and there was one looked to be maybe 4 year old completely passed out face down on the woman's lap, oblivious to all of the screaming in the room.

Edited by greyhorse
oblivious and obvious are different words
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

No idea how these announcers can tell in real time if it's a 1440 or 1080.  It just happens so fast.  I'd need slow motion to decipher.

Yep, I can't tell either.  Same issue with figure skating, they rotate so fast I have no idea how many times they spin, unless it's a single jump I can't tell at all.

The finals were amazing, I have no idea how these people do this.  To me it seems crazy to take off a huge ramp like that.  I'd be worried about landing safely, never mind the tricks and the spins.

Huge congrats to Max Parrot, what a great story for him.  Overcame Hodgkin's lymphoma since the last Olympics, and now this time he upgraded from silver to gold.  Congrats to Mark McMorris as well, bronze in this event three Olympics in a row. 

The Chinese snowboarder was amazing too... did he do a 1800?  Five full rotations, incredible.  

I don't know who was doing the commentary on USA Network, but he was commenting about how in his day, a 900 was considered an amazing feat.  And now these competitors are doing 1800s.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Crankybroad said:

Why do so many of the women wear their number bibs off one shoulder? I’m really curious!

That and the two wispy sideburns of hair sticking out of their helmets drives me nuts. You kids get off my lawn.

But these ladies are so talented and fearless. 

• LOL 3
12 minutes ago, Crankybroad said:

Why do so many of the women wear their number bibs off one shoulder? 

It's so the bib doesn't fly up and cover their face. You'll see it in all of the sports where they flip and turn a lot.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Phew, close call for Shaun White and Chase Josey who both had to lay it down on their second runs.  Was holding my breath for Shaun.  

But this is the Ayumu Hirano show.  He looks like he's about 5 feet tall, but he gets so far out of the pipe and so effortlessly.  

Shaun talked about letting it all hang out in the final, saying you don't want to give away too much too early.  But don't these guys all watch each other in practice?  So you basically know what everyone is going to throw down?

As always with halfpipe and anything trick related, I have no idea how these announcers can recognize all the tricks..."That's a frontside double cork 1440!  A Fakie 1080!  Backside rodeo!  And now his signature Double McTwist 1280!"  Or something like that.  No idea what any of those are.

Noticed that Eileen Gu was waiting at the bottom to say hi to Shaun.  Had her helmet and mirrored goggles on so I had no idea who she was until the announcers identified her, and then I noticed her stylish ski jacket appears to be her own design line as it had her name on it.  I thought at first it was his girlfriend Nina Dobrev.  

• Love 1

So happy for Lindsey Jacobellis! It's got to suck to be 36 years old, having numerous world championships and considered GOAT in your sport and all anyone ever wants to talk about is that time when you were 20 and lost the gold medal because you were showboating off the jump. Now she can finally put it all behind her and go out as Olympic Champion. 

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 20

Congrats to Chloe Kim! She looked equally happy for the snowboarders that won the silver and bronze. It’s so nice to see how close the snowboarders (both female and male) are and how they are actively rooting for each other. 

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Snowboard cross is amazing.  I'm a little annoyed I'm not seeing much press for Jacobellis.  NBC loves their redemption arcs but all I've seen is Chloe Kim.  Still what a great day for snowboarding.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the puff pieces.  (As an aside, I don't think Mary Carillo is covering these games?). The only one I saw a bit of was Shaun White sitting pensively staring at a large tv showing his Japanese rival.  Or maybe it was just a teaser.

I think the reason why Jacobellis hasn't gotten any hype is because this was now her fourth shot at redemption.  Ho hum.  But the bigger reason is that nobody cares about snowboard cross.  Which I always find interesting.  The halfpipe is always the glamour event, yet it's something that very few people when they strap on the board can do or relate to.  The majority of us riding the lift to the top of the mountain just want to get down, and it's a thrill to go fast.  So we should more relate to snowboard cross.  Yet nobody cares.  Collectively everybody is just enthralled with all these twists and tricks that we don't know how to do, don't understand the difference between all of them, and can only really know that something was good if the rider lands on his/her feet.

I don't know when the snowboard slalom event is supposed to happen.  I remember the event only because last Olympics there was the American that was competing for Russia because he got more support there.  Why isn't there a Snowboard downhill?  I'd love to watch something like that.

25 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They already had snowboard slalom. I couldn't tell you who won, but I did see it. 

For the women, it was Ester Ledecká, who defended her gold from 2018. She's the one who also won a gold in alpine skiing that same year, which was an unprecedented feat. Don't remember who won the men's.

ETA: It was Benjamin Karl of Austria.

Edited by tracyscott76

I second the announcer’s bafflement at Hirano not being in first. I admittedly am a casual viewer of half-pipe, but that run seemed obviously superior to any other so far to my eyes.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 9
Just now, Souris said:

I second the announcer’s bafflement at Hirono not being in first. I admittedly am a casual viewer of half-pipe, but that run seemed obviously superior to any other so far to my eyes.

Agreed, they were talking about a score near 100 and he gets a 91? That was an amazing run and I have questions lol

• Love 4

I’m pissed too. That was definitely superior to James’ run. He probably is trying to figure out what else he needs to do to get first place. Poor guy.

And it was the US judge that gave him an 89.  Reeks of trying to make sure Shaun White gets on the medal stand.

• Love 3