Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

There were East German athletes that were told they were taking vitamins and the state run doping program started them young, the article I just read mentioned a 12 year old who was given 'vitamins' she was not allowed to discuss with her parents.

My point is the vast majority of doping offenders are adults who know what they are doing and not children. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I know the Grand Prix does it this way, but is it new for the Olympics to have the skaters go in reverse placement order? It certainly adds to the tension!

I think they did it at Worlds last year too. Maybe because of COVID? Can’t remember.

10 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

My point is the vast majority of doping offenders are adults who know what they are doing and not children. 

The East German women went through serious tragedies -- they had serious health problems. A few transitioned to become men as they were shunned for their appearance. In state sponsored doping there's no such thing as "choice." Doctors give you something and you take it.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I know the Grand Prix does it this way, but is it new for the Olympics to have the skaters go in reverse placement order? It certainly adds to the tension!

No, for the long program, they divide all the skaters into groups based on their placements in the short program.  Each group has 5 or 6 people in it.  Then. within the group, there is a draw to decide the skating order for that group.  They always start with the lowest ranking skaters in the first group and continue up the rankings until the final group is all the top skaters.

This is pretty much the way it is done in all the major competitions.  

Just now, Rootbeer said:

No, for the long program, they divide all the skaters into groups based on their placements in the short program.  Each group has 5 or 6 people in it.  Then. within the group, there is a draw to decide the skating order for that group.  They always start with the lowest ranking skaters in the first group and continue up the rankings until the final group is all the top skaters.

This is pretty much the way it is done in all the major competitions.  

That’s not what happened here though. That’s why I’m asking. There wasn’t a draw in each group. They’re going in reverse order.

7 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Stephane Lambiel’s zebra mask was a tribute to his 2006 costume! I try to block that costume out of my mind! It’s no Ilia Kulik giraffe costume, but it was close.

That costume was an abomination.

Speaking of abominations, we've now got the Jesus Christ Superstar guy skating in what is probably the worst costume of this Olympics.    The Russians should be required to forfeit their gold medals just for this costume alone.

4 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

That’s not what happened here though. That’s why I’m asking. There wasn’t a draw in each group. They’re going in reverse order.

Sorry, I didn't even notice.  I don't know how the pandemic would figure into it, though.  Maybe they just changed the rules?  

I looked at one of the official Olympic sites and they do say they skate in reverse order of their short program placement but there is no mention of the fact that this is different than the usual start order.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 2

I wonder if they do this as a way to be more “fair”. I remember at Nagano, Michelle skated first in the final group and the judges underscored to leave room for the skaters who came ahead of her (yes, I remember that she was tentative too). 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Speaking of abominations, we've now got the Jesus Christ Superstar guy skating in what is probably the worst costume of this Olympics.    The Russians should be required to forfeit their gold medals just for this costume alone.

It’s wrong on so many levels.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 4
Just now, GeminiDancer said:

I wonder if they do this as a way to be more “fair”. I remember at Nagano, Michelle skated first in the final group and the judges underscored to leave room for the skaters who came ahead of her (yes, I remember that she was tentative too). 

This is the first time I've not seen them do the draw. So I don't think it has anything to do with Kwan. Moreover, with the scoring system that's no longer 6.0., judges don't really have to leave room for the individuals who are skating later. It's all about what you do, how well you do it, and how many points what you do is worth. 

Just now, Enero said:

This is the first time I've not seen them do the draw. So I don't think it has anything to do with Kwan. Moreover, with the scoring system that's no longer 6.0., judges don't really have to leave room for the individuals who are skating later. It's all about what you do, how well you do it, and how many points what you do is worth. 

Oh, I know about the scoring system. I’ve been watching a long time. 😊

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

Is there still a dozen more to go? I'm barely awake now and I have to get up at 5. 

Yep, we've got a ways to go.  There are two more groups after this one and, of course, Zamboni time between each group.  It won't end until around midnight ET most likely.

1 minute ago, Rootbeer said:

Yep, we've got a ways to go.  There are two more groups after this one and, of course, Zamboni time between each group.  It won't end until around midnight ET most likely.

I think when looking at the schedule I saw that Nathan is not due to take the ice until nearly 1am. I hope that was a typo. Otherwise I'll be exiting stage left early too. Lol

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Yeah, I'm calling it a night! LOL! I'll watch Nathan on YouTube tomorrow. 

While there's a break ... I was thinking about Kamila. She is so spectacularly talented. Not just in her jumping, but her edges, her spins, her speed. She's also fairly tall for a skater (5'3") which bodes well for her keeping her jumps. Imagine that instead of giving her this heart medication, she was allowed a healthy diet full of proteins and nutrients. Imagine instead of weighing her three times a day they just let her practice, and corrected her skating and not her weight.

This is too depressing to think about.

IOC briefing totally worthless, they said the same thing as yesterday. “It’s a legal issue, I won’t comment further.” He won’t even say who is handling the issue. Calls everything speculation. Super frustrating. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, healthnut said:

IOC briefing totally worthless, they said the same thing as yesterday. “It’s a legal issue, I won’t comment further.” He won’t even say who is handling the issue. Calls everything speculation. Super frustrating. 

It doesn’t take this long to kick someone out over a doping issue. There’s something else going on here. 

• Love 6

So this Canadian reporter has been live tweeting about the press conference (which is apparently a general IOC daily press conference and not dedicated to the Russian FS doping issue). The spokesperson is not really answering questions, saying it's a legal issue.

This is how the IOC handled the 2002 judging scandal (dodging questions/trying to push it off until the future). Info only really came to light because the media kept the heat on. We'll see what happens.

Edited by OnePlusOne
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, healthnut said:

I didn't get here in time but that's what I suspected.  It'd be a lot of nothing.  I doubt any punishment won't be done by a press conference.  They're going to want to leak it to the press in a written report.  Probably after a press conference so they don't have to think about it until the next day.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

It doesn’t take this long to kick someone out over a doping issue. There’s something else going on here. 

Um ... this is wild speculation but ... could Kamila have told WADA that she was being forced this medicine, and thus this becomes a safety/child abuse issue? Keeping in mind that she's a minor. 

• Love 1

Yahoo is reporting that it is Valieva and that the reason that the IOC cannot announce her name is because of her age.  WADA rules, as we discussed earlier, say that the athlete's name must be disclosed if they are over 18, while it is optional if the athlete is under 18.  They seem to imply that this was part of the 'legal issue' that the IOC referred to, involving her status as an underage athlete.  Yahoo also says Reuters and the Associated Press have verified that it was Valieva and that the drug was the cardiac drug reported earlier.

Valieva is the only Russian team member who is under 18, so, even if the IOC decides not to reveal her name; if Russia is disqualified, there won't be any doubt who it was.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ShellsandCheese said:

It was said earlier that the "debate" was over whether the drug was taken before or after arriving at the Olympics. At this point, I don't think it matters, if a test was given before the Olympics and she failed it, she shouldn't have been allowed to compete at the Games. I don't understand what the debate is about. But like you, there's likely a fight going on behind the scenes to ignore this and allow her to compete and for Russia to keep their Team Gold.

• Love 9

I’ve been watching the whole press conference on YouTube and they’ve given no time frame, no details, no confirmation or denial, just asks that everyone have patience and asks the reporters not to ask anymore questions. 
Meanwhile, Valieva just showed up at practice. 

• Love 2

The story broke on the Inside the Games blog, which is a mouthpiece for the IOC and any other sports governing board that will send them a press release, It's not usually an investigative journalism site- announcements of the start of the African continental  sambo and judo tournaments are their usual speed. 

So it seems like there might be legs to the story because it is from a site that usually tries to mitigate controversy, not create it. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1119022/beijing-2022-figure-skating-medal-delay

• Useful 1

That’s the ridiculous part.  How are they even in a position to negotiate?  They’re already on double secret probation given that they’re not COMPETING UNDER THEIR OWN NAME.  This should’ve been a “sigh, well you’re done now.”

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Enero said:

It was said earlier that the "debate" was over whether the drug was taken before or after arriving at the Olympics. At this point, I don't think it matters, if a test was given before the Olympics and she failed it, she shouldn't have been allowed to compete at the Games. I don't understand what the debate is about. But like you, there's likely a fight going on behind the scenes to ignore this and allow her to compete and for Russia to keep their Team Gold.

If it’s true that the positive test was in December than it’s pretty obvious the drug was taken before, way before, the Olympics. I’m starting to think she did test positive in December and should not have been eligible for the Olympics - someone dropped the ball and then someone had an oh shit moment after the Team Event. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, kittykat said:

That’s the ridiculous part.  How are they even in a position to negotiate?  They’re already on double secret probation given that they’re not COMPETING UNDER THEIR OWN NAME.  This should’ve been a “sigh, well you’re done now.”

If this were about a less powerful country they'd be fully banned and this wouldn't even be a thing. But Russia has power and is willing to cheat and bribe which is how we got the absurd ROC thing in the first place. The IOC is probably trying to figure out a way to get out of this without pissing the Russians off too much. 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

If it’s true that the positive test was in December than it’s pretty obvious the drug was taken before, way before, the Olympics. I’m starting to think she did test positive in December and should not have been eligible for the Olympics - someone dropped the ball and then someone had an oh shit moment after the Team Event. 

I don't think the ball was dropped here. I think this was purposely done. She didn't end up at the Olympics by accident after testing positive for a banned substance. 

She is Russia's current golden girl and they be damned if she was going to sit out this Olympics. Now how and why the truth was exposed now is the question I have. 

• Love 13

The sad part is that the IOC was already on thin ice in terms of credibility. How do they recover if they do nothing about the ROC? They're basically saying that other countries can give minors PEDs and get away with it.

I know Valieva is innocent in all of this, but she needs to be banned from competing.

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

If this were about a less powerful country they'd be fully banned and this wouldn't even be a thing. But Russia has power and is willing to cheat and bribe which is how we got the absurd ROC thing in the first place. The IOC is probably trying to figure out a way to get out of this without pissing the Russians off too much. 

This. And honestly, this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If no corrective action is taken on this meaning disqualification of Kamila and the ROC in the team competition,  I will be completely turned off from continuing to watch the skating competitions. 

• Love 14