Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

My point was very clear. If we can have 13-year-olds competing at the senior level, why stop there? Why not let 8-or 10-year-olds compete at the senior level if they're that good? Why make them wait an arbitrary number of years when they're good to go now talent-wise? 

Because we know that the younger the kids are, the more likely they will be exploited and used by adults.  If we're going to have kids compete, we need to develop very strict rules and structures to prevent them from being used and thrown away as Eteri has done.  Just because an 11 year old can compete against adults doesn't mean they should.  Do we know the 11 year old skateboarder is keeping up with his education, that he is properly treated for injuries, that his overall well being is being monitored and, if he shows ill effects from competing against adults and that, if he isn't doing well; the adults will step in and act in his best interest?  Do we know if the 11 year old signs a contract to promote snowboards that his legal guardian is going to put away that money for him?  That he's got a fair contract and legal representatives looking out for him first and foremost?

There needs to be regulation somewhat similar to what Hollywood did to protect child actors from exploitation.  Unfortunately, there are far too many adults who are willing to ruin a kid's life for their own profit.  And far too many countries, including the US, that have been derelict in their duty to vulnerable children.

ETA and to change the subject: If we are casting Eteri: The Movie, there is only one choice, IMO. Natasha Lyonne could bring the crazy and has the chops, too.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Because we know that the younger the kids are, the more likely they will be exploited and used by adults.  If we're going to have kids compete, we need to develop very strict rules and structures to prevent them from being used and thrown away as Eteri has done.  Just because an 11 year old can compete against adults doesn't mean they should.  Do we know the 11 year old skateboarder is keeping up with his education, that he is properly treated for injuries, that his overall well being is being monitored and, if he shows ill effects from competing against adults and that, if he isn't doing well; the adults will step in and act in his best interest?  Do we know if the 11 year old signs a contract to promote snowboards that his legal guardian is going to put away that money for him?  That he's got a fair contract and legal representatives looking out for him first and foremost?

There needs to be regulation somewhat similar to what Hollywood did to protect child actors from exploitation.  Unfortunately, there are far too many adults who are willing to ruin a kid's life for their own profit.  And far too many countries, including the US, that have been derelict in their duty to vulnerable children.

All I know is that the 11 year old is a female and competed when she was 13 because of the Olympics being delayed.

She also had a skull fracture while trying to qualify when she was 11 and was unresponsive. Her name is Sky Brown. 

9 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I feel like Raf is very much personality based. You are either going to clash with him or get along with him. Some of his comments are a bit cringe like when he called Adam an elephant. 

It will be interesting to see if he sticks around I know he has brought up retirement in a few interviews.

It's kind of sad how few high level coaches we have in the US.

Yes, Raf’s comments about Adam is exactly what I am thinking about.   Upon looking at his Wikipedia, it seems he coached Michelle Kwan for a time too, which I had no idea about.  I have to wonder how and even if she came out of all of this unscathed.  

I have heard good things about Brian Orser but I have to hope all of it is true.   

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Agreed! I’m always shocked when I learn that so many people are rooting for them. 🤷🏽‍♀️

For me, they're a breath of fresh air. And a change from the same old, same old, classic Russian style of Pairs, which usually puts me to sleep. 

And what was the first thing I heard when I turned on the teevy this morning. Hallelujah. The same version as Mariah used last night (k.d. lang, right?) I like that version, but come ON. I notice that Carmen has been given a rest (for now), can we add Hallelujah and Bolero to the cease and desist list?

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 9
49 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Unfortunately Brian is super picky who he coaches. 

There are only so many athletes that a good coach can devote time to - especially when they're all in the elite class. Having trained so many Olympic & World medalists (like Yuzuru, Javi, Yuma, etc), Brian can certainly be picky about who he takes on.

I am in total agreement that Eteri is not the only bad coach out there. There are plenty who don't recognize where the line between hard/strict ends and abusive begins. And there are time when skaters and coaches just don't mesh and a change works out for the better so the skater can advance. The question becomes how the coach approaches their job. Do they try to build up an athlete as Brian does, or do they break them down in Eteri's fashion? Do the athletes feel supported and encouraged, or terrified of failure? A coach who's first instinct after a bad program is to publicly berate a crying 15 year old girl is outright abusive. And if Eteri is that bad in public, who can only imagine how vicious she is behind closed doors?

While bad coaches can exist in any country, few have the official support of both the nation's federation and governmental leadership that Eteri does. In fact, I can't think of any other that comes close. It's not a surprise that she feels free to act with such impunity, because there is no one who will stand up to her. 

No athletes are promised a long career of many years, but there is a major crisis in a sport where to even consider enduring more than a single quad as a skater is all but unthinkable. Older women might not be as competitive technically (especially if they are trying to match girls who are barely teens doing quads) but what they lose in the extreme jumping ability, they make up for in more mature precision and artistry. Not every skater is a Yuzuru Hanyu who was so artistically proficient at the beginning of his senior career (and even so, he's lightyears ahead in artistic expression now). Nathan Chen took several years to mature as a skater and while I still find his artistic quality to be less than skaters like Yuzuru, Shoma and Jason, he's miles better now than what he was in PyeongChang. The girls don't get that chance to grow and evolve. And it seems that the younger they are when they peak technically, the younger they retire.

I'm looking forward the day when I can follow a female skater the way I've followed Michele Kwan, Yuma Kim, Irena Slutskaya and Mao Asada. I want the competitive rivalries that can go on for years and see women stay in the sport even if they're not on the podium all the time. I want to see a 27 year old woman who just decides that no, they're not ready to call it quits because they love to skate and feel they have more to show (as Yuzuru is). If gymnastics can change enough that athletes like Simone Biles, Ally Raiseman and Aliya Mustafina can not just compete but excel at more than one Olympics and address the toxic abuse that happened behind the scenes, there's no reason that figure skating can't. They just need to want to, and we as fans have to demand it.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 23
10 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

For me, they're a breath of fresh air. And a change from the same old, same old, classic Russian style of Pairs, which usually puts me to sleep. 

And what was the first thing I heard when I turned on the teevy this morning. Hallelujah. The same version as Mariah used last night (k.d. lang, right?) I like that version, but come ON. I notice that Carmen has been given a rest (for now), can we add Hallelujah and Bolero to the cease and desist list?

I am fine with adult pairs or ice dancers using Hallelujah as long as they skate the way the song is intended--horny.  The song is horny AF and you need to lean into it.  

• LOL 12
42 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I feel like Raf is very much personality based. You are either going to clash with him or get along with him. Some of his comments are a bit cringe like when he called Adam an elephant. 

Raf pissed me off with how he talked about Nathan's competition this time around and basically shitting over Yuzuru's 4axel efforts (comparing it to going to an expensive restaurant and not being able to pay the bill). It was grating, especially with how much Nathan respects Yuzuru as a competitor.

And it wasn't like Brian Orser was telling the press that some of Yuzuru's competition might have great careers as ice polishers with the way their backsides spent more time on the ice than their skates at PyeongChang. Raf's comments were entirely uncalled for.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

There are only so many athletes that a good coach can devote time to - especially when they're all in the elite class. Having trained so many Olympic & World medalists (like Yuzuru, Javi, Yuma, etc), Brian can certainly be picky about who he takes on.

I am in total agreement that Eteri is not the only bad coach out there. There are plenty who don't recognize where the line between hard/strict ends and abusive begins. And there are time when skaters and coaches just don't mesh and a change works out for the better so the skater can advance. The question becomes how the coach approaches their job. Do they try to build up an athlete as Brian does, or do they break them down in Eteri's fashion? Do the athletes feel supported and encouraged, or terrified of failure? A coach who's first instinct after a bad program is to publicly berate a crying 15 year old girl is outright abusive. And if Eteri is that bad in public, who can only imagine how vicious she is behind closed doors?

While bad coaches can exist in any country, few have the official support of both the nation's federation and governmental leadership that Eteri does. In fact, I can't think of any other that comes close. It's not a surprise that she feels free to act with such impunity, because there is no one who will stand up to her. 

No athletes are promised a long career of many years, but there is a major crisis in a sport where to even consider enduring more than a single quad as a skater is all but unthinkable. Older women might not be as competitive technically (especially if they are trying to match girls who are barely teens doing quads) but what they lose in the extreme jumping ability, they make up for in more mature precision and artistry. Not every skater is a Yuzuru Hanyu who was so artistically proficient at the beginning of his senior career (and even so, he's lightyears ahead in artistic expression now). Nathan Chen took several years to mature as a skater and while I still find his artistic quality to be less than skaters like Yuzuru, Shoma and Jason, he's miles better now than what he was in PyeongChang. The girls don't get that chance to grow and evolve. And it seems that the younger they are when they peak technically, the younger they retire.

I'm looking forward the day when I can follow a female skater the way I've followed Michele Kwan, Yuma Kim, Irena Slutskaya and Mao Asada. I want the competitive rivalries that can go on for years and see women stay in the sport even if they're not on the podium all the time. I want to see a 27 year old woman who just decides that no, they're not ready to call it quits because they love to skate and feel they have more to show (as Yuzuru is). If gymnastics can change enough that athletes like Simone Biles, Ally Raiseman and Aliya Mustafina can not just compete but excel at more than one Olympics and address the toxic abuse that happened behind the scenes, there's no reason that figure skating can't. They just need to want to, and we as fans have to demand it.

I don't blame Brian for being picky he has every right to be. It's just not a realistic option for skaters in North America to go to him even though he is probably the best coach. The only reason Jason was able to go to TCC is because he was Tracy's student and seem to be really close.  

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am fine with adult pairs or ice dancers using Hallelujah as long as they skate the way the song is intended--horny.  The song is horny AF and you need to lean into it.  

In other words, Hubbell and Donohue using it last year were perfectly suited to it? Fake horny, but you know....

• LOL 6
8 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

In other words, Hubbell and Donohue using it last year were perfectly suited to it? Fake horny, but you know....

I just watched their program from Skate America, an attempt was made and it almost worked.  They at least went with the good covers of the song that convey the horniness of the song without the explicit lyrics.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

So nice to see Vanessa James skating again. I also loved her and she seems to be matching up well with her new partner. After what happened with Cipres (creep) I'm glad that she's making another Olympic showing.

Eh, I’m the opposite. She was willing to skate with that creep, and to me that’s unforgivable. Eric Radford seems like a huge jerk too.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, gingerella said:

The entire thing was so emotionally damaging. .And why was the Japanese Skater bronze medalist hysterical as well? What a fucking shit show. 

Although Sakamoto was crying tears of joy, it really came across as if someone just died.    I wanted to see her jumping for joy while the shit show raged around her!  

I saw some headlines from Russia this morning, and it appeared that they're trying to make Kamila the hero.  One picture showed the 3 women on the podium with the caption of "The bitterness of Gold."   It's such a shame that Anna's win got tossed to the side while the focus was on her teammates.  FWIW, I thought that giving Kamila 4th place was quite generous.  I don't care how many triple or quad jumps she completed, when you stumble and fall that many times, you're done.  

• Love 11
1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

Although Sakamoto was crying tears of joy, it really came across as if someone just died.    I wanted to see her jumping for joy while the shit show raged around her!  

I saw some headlines from Russia this morning, and it appeared that they're trying to make Kamila the hero.  One picture showed the 3 women on the podium with the caption of "The bitterness of Gold."   It's such a shame that Anna's win got tossed to the side while the focus was on her teammates.  FWIW, I thought that giving Kamila 4th place was quite generous.  I don't care how many triple or quad jumps she completed, when you stumble and fall that many times, you're done.  

After watching that program, I agree.  Fourth was incredibly generous- it was a mess from start to finish.   Fourth was a gift…without the Eteri bonus it would have been much much lower 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I wonder if she was in shock/denial, because going in, while she had a decent shot at bronze, there was a slim possibility of her getting a podium moment, and a high probability that she'd get that medal in the mail several months after the fact.

• Love 6

I am unable to quote The New York Times directly, but this is from another article about that article.  This breaks my heart for Kamila: 

"International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach said Friday he was disturbed to see the "coldness" of Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva’s coaches toward her following the athlete’s fourth-place finish during the women’s free skate.

Valieva slipped multiple times during her routine. The 15-year-old skater was clearly emotional as she finished up her routine. Her coach Eteri Tutberidze made it clear she wasn’t happy with the performance as the competitor came off the ice.

"Why did you let it go?" she was heard asking in Russian, via The New York Times. "Why did you stop fighting? Explain it to me. Why? You let it go after that axel. Why?"

Bach remarked on the pressure and harsh critiques lobbed at Valieva.

"When I afterwards saw how she was received by her closest entourage, with such, what appeared to be a tremendous coldness, it was chilling to see this," Bach said. "Rather than giving her comfort, rather than to try to help her, you could feel this chilling atmosphere, this distance."

24 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I wonder if she was in shock/denial, because going in, while she had a decent shot at bronze, there was a slim possibility of her getting a podium moment, and a high probability that she'd get that medal in the mail several months after the fact.

Total shock for sure. Everything completely changed in a very short time frame! Before Kamila’s skate she had probably accepted that Kamila would medal and she’d be fourth even though she’d skated well. Just four minutes later she was a medalist. I’m sure it was just a huge rush of emotions.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach has criticized Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva’s entourage for their “tremendous coldness” toward the 15-year-old skater after her mistake-filled free skate at the Beijing Olympics.

Bach says it was “chilling” to see on television.

So imagine what we don't see...

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

After watching that program, I agree.  Fourth was incredibly generous- it was a mess from start to finish.   Fourth was a gift…without the Eteri bonus it would have been much much lower 

Didn’t she actually finish fifth or six in the long but fourth overall based on her short program score? 

3 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Didn’t she actually finish fifth or six in the long but fourth overall based on her short program score? 

She finished in 5th. A point ahead of Higuchi. I know Higuchi fell once, but come on! Justice for Higuchi! The most criminally underscored athlete of these games. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 12

Regarding a minimum age limit: probably a good idea, but that won't really fix the main problem which IMO is the coaching and what the coaches are allowed to do. I wish they (the ISU) would monitor and control the coaches. Do they have to be certified?  They need  to limit practice time for minors, like they do with school sports (in the US anyway), and they need to be able to monitor their diets and other training methods such as weight training.  If they can do surprise drug tests they can do surprise training inspections. 

Oh, well, the Russians would figure out a way to cheat anyway. I got nothing.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

She finished in 5th. A point ahead of Higuchi. I know Higuchi fell once, but come on! Justice for Higuchi! The most criminally underscored athlete of these games. 

Oh wow! I didn’t realize she placed above Higuchi in the long, that’s ridiculous.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I am unable to quote The New York Times directly, but this is from another article about that article.  This breaks my heart for Kamila: 

"International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach said Friday he was disturbed to see the "coldness" of Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva’s coaches toward her following the athlete’s fourth-place finish during the women’s free skate.

Valieva slipped multiple times during her routine. The 15-year-old skater was clearly emotional as she finished up her routine. Her coach Eteri Tutberidze made it clear she wasn’t happy with the performance as the competitor came off the ice.

"Why did you let it go?" she was heard asking in Russian, via The New York Times. "Why did you stop fighting? Explain it to me. Why? You let it go after that axel. Why?"

Bach remarked on the pressure and harsh critiques lobbed at Valieva.

"When I afterwards saw how she was received by her closest entourage, with such, what appeared to be a tremendous coldness, it was chilling to see this," Bach said. "Rather than giving her comfort, rather than to try to help her, you could feel this chilling atmosphere, this distance."

And THAT is why it wouldn't have made sense for Kamila to deliberately throw the Free Skate in such an obvious manner. Given the way Eteri treated her immediately afterwards (and before the score had even been announced), why would she deliberately risk bringing Eteri's full wrath down upon her? She better than anyone else knows what Eteri is like and what shes capable of doing when she's pissed off. Kamila may be many things, but a fool and a masochist are not among them.

• Love 5

Yeah. Kamila did not throw the free skate and it’s a rumor that needs to stop. But again, I cannot with Bach and truthfully the hypocrisy of ALL of the adults in involved - sadly, I don’t think any of them really care about the Russian girls, they are just upset because the facade has been shattered. 

Here’s what the ISU said when Tutberidze won the inaugural International Skating Union Coach of the Year; in 2020! So after Yulia, after Evgenia, after Alina……

”she’s given so much strength and dedication to her athletes….and now it’s time for this talented coach to take center stage”

Ted Barton, ED of skate Canada, compared Eteri’s girls to a stable of thoroughbred horses.

Johnny Weir called Sambo 70 the most iconic school in the world when he visited and waxed poetically about being thankful that he got to enjoy such beautiful skating. 

Side note, someone asked about the name Sambo, it’s a Russian martial art that originated in the 1920’s. But it’s practiced internationally now. Not a typo and not racist.  Sambo 70 is named such because it originated as a Sambo school and was founded in 1970 (Sambo 70) and while it’s now more famous for figure skating; there something like 20 sports associated with the club. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Oh wow! I didn’t realize she placed above Higuchi in the long, that’s ridiculous.

I was just looking at the scores. And the judge from Azebaijan gave Anna Trusova a 9.75 for skating skills. I just spit out my drink.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Amen! Higuchi skated better than her in the short and the long and was underscored in both.  

• Love 7

I don't think they need to increase the age requirement for competing, but they need to do away with the underage "protected person" rule.  Doping is doping, you are out.  Doesn't matter how old you are.  And I don't know how this would work, but the doping athlete needs to be punished, along with their coach and/or trainer.  Then if it happens again with another athlete from the same program, go further up the chain.

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

All of the skaters you named began their senior international careers before the age of 18. Coming up with an arbitrary age is not going to combat the problem of abusive coaching and abusive coaching environments. 

Russia should be banned. Eteri and her team should not be coaching. The "protected person" issue with regard to doping can be addressed in a more effective and meaningful way.

I fail to see how raising the age to 18 will check the negative impulses of any abusive coach. (As already noted by others, Team Eteri aren't the only ones.) They'll just be keeping 18 year olds extra thin, you'll have two or three who peak at the right time and we'll have some 18 and 19 year old medalists who are going through the same abusive practices. 

Changing the age is not addressing the root of the problems in this sport.

Also, not everyone wants to stay in the sport until they are 27 or 30. Some people want to move onto college and try other things. That should be allowed. Fans shouldn't dictate how long a skater stays on the competitive scene. If someone accomplishes all of their goals in this sport by age 19 or 20 I'm not going to get mad at them for retiring.

Not everyone who goes to the Olympics at 16 is coming from an Eteri like training environment. Michelle, Lu Chen, Surya*, Sasha, Sarah, Irina, Mao, Yuna, Kimmie, Shizuka, Carolina, Kaetlyn, etc all would have been denied early international experience if they hadn't been allowed to compete as seniors until the age of 18.

*Surya's mother was something else. It's too complicated to fully address in this post but I at least want to make note of that. Not all athletes have an ideal support system in place.

• Love 5

On a lighter note, I've only been catching the performances here and there, but caught Les Mis, Bolero, Hallelujah, and Swan Lake. What other mainstays were there that I missed?

It was relaxing watching the Pairs. I don't know any of the teams so I'm seeing them with a fresh eye and don't know any drama (if there are any in pairs).

• Love 2

Abusive coaching needs to be addressed. I know in the states we've had issues with football players and coaches making them workout with pads on in 100 degree heat with no water. They didn't crackdown on it until someone died. 

There also needs to be more resources for athletes. I know in some cultures going to therapy means you are weak. 

I remember all the rumors in Canton with eating disorders. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

*Surya's mother was something else. It's too complicated to fully address in this post but I at least want to make note of that. Not all athletes have an ideal support system in place.

I witnessed Surya's mother's behavior in Lillehammer in 1994.  I attended the short program and then, the morning of the long, attended the final practices.  The skaters came onto the ice in groups, with their coaches on the sides of the rink.  There were maybe 1000 spectators as well as CBS camera crews (they had that Olympics) as well as a bunch of other media and dozens of photographers.  Nancy and Tonya were in the same practice group and everyone wanted to see if there would be any fireworks.

So, Surya comes out with the other girls in her group and they warm up and then each girl's long program music is played in turn so they can each do a run through.  Surya's mother was also her coach as you recall.  Surya had barely started skating when her mother started screaming at her in French.  I only speak a little French, but I caught that she was criticizing her, calling her lazy and worthless and a lot of other stuff I won't post here.  Surya literally burst into tears and sobbing and spent the rest of the practice skating around the rink shaking with sobs while her mother harangued her loudly.  The other skaters seemed mortified.  BTW, the other coaches would only occasionally yell to their skaters and then usually only encouragement or stuff like 'remember to smile'.  Any major coaching discussion  happened privately at the side of the rink

I never really liked Surya's skating, but I cried for her that morning.

26 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I saw Kamila flew home to Russia. Hopefully she can be around a support system. 

I sincerely doubt she has much of a "support system." Her parents shipped her off to Eteri so presumably they are okay with whatever Eteri did to her, especially considering they had Grandpa make up the story about his heart medication.

She's from Russia, not the US. They don't see what Eteri does as abuse. They don't see doping as wrong. They see themselves as the victims and the West as the big bad bullies. They'll be spinning Kamila losing as her not being able to withstand the pressure of the Western media being SUPER SUPER MEAN to her. And if Eteri is pushed out of skating, it won't be without one hell of a fight from Russia.

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I sincerely doubt she has much of a "support system." Her parents shipped her off to Eteri so presumably they are okay with whatever Eteri did to her, especially considering they had Grandpa make up the story about his heart medication.

She's from Russia, not the US. They don't see what Eteri does as abuse. They don't see doping as wrong. They see themselves as the victims and the West as the big bad bullies. They'll be spinning Kamila losing as her not being able to withstand the pressure of the Western media being SUPER SUPER MEAN to her. And if Eteri is pushed out of skating, it won't be without one hell of a fight from Russia.

I don't think she has much of a support system either, but hopefully she has some friends. I just took a look at her instagram and looks like she has at least one and a cute dog her fan club got her. 

I did see she is getting some award. 

Edited by choclatechip45

I doubt she has a good support system because I suspect everyone will just keep telling her she and her team are victims and heroes.  A good support system would acknowledge her own culpability or at least be willing to say that she shouldn’t have skated while they commiserate about the terrible position and pressure she found herself in.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

I witnessed Surya's mother's behavior in Lillehammer in 1994.  I attended the short program and then, the morning of the long, attended the final practices.  The skaters came onto the ice in groups, with their coaches on the sides of the rink.  There were maybe 1000 spectators as well as CBS camera crews (they had that Olympics) as well as a bunch of other media and dozens of photographers.  Nancy and Tonya were in the same practice group and everyone wanted to see if there would be any fireworks.

So, Surya comes out with the other girls in her group and they warm up and then each girl's long program music is played in turn so they can each do a run through.  Surya's mother was also her coach as you recall.  Surya had barely started skating when her mother started screaming at her in French.  I only speak a little French, but I caught that she was criticizing her, calling her lazy and worthless and a lot of other stuff I won't post here.  Surya literally burst into tears and sobbing and spent the rest of the practice skating around the rink shaking with sobs while her mother harangued her loudly.  The other skaters seemed mortified.  BTW, the other coaches would only occasionally yell to their skaters and then usually only encouragement or stuff like 'remember to smile'.  Any major coaching discussion  happened privately at the side of the rink

I never really liked Surya's skating, but I cried for her that morning.

Yes, I felt like it was too complicated a situation to address in one post but yeah--Surya's mother was terrible. Beastly to her practically every time I saw them together. She wasn't a picnic with outsiders either. Rude, pushy, entitled and just a complete lack of respect for other skaters and their parents. 

What really sucks too is how many people saw her berate her daughter on a regular basis and just felt like there wasn't anything that could be done about it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

They see themselves as the victims and the West as the big bad bullies. They'll be spinning Kamila losing as her not being able to withstand the pressure of the Western media being SUPER SUPER MEAN to her.

Exactly!  That's what I gathered from the Russian headlines I saw this morning (it was covered briefly on one of the news shows.)  She's the hero, we're all the zeroes!