Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

I’m picturing the next four years when anyone caught doping just says they drank from their grandfather’s glass.

Investigator: Aren’t all your grandparents dead?

Athlete: What’s your point?

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• LOL 15
Just now, Crs97 said:

I’m picturing the next four years when anyone caught doping just says they drank from their grandfather’s glass.

Investigator: Aren’t all your grandparents dead?

Athlete: What’s your point?

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Now that I think about it do we know Kamila's grandather is alive?

• LOL 7

The women's competition is going to be eye-opening:

1. How will the other women respond to having to skate against a person who failed a drug test? Will they response normally, or will there be some obvious coldness when the Russians are around?

2. Besides the chosen Chinese audience, most of the audience is made up of athletes from other sports and other delegations who probably know about the scandal now. Will they act pleasantly or boo when the Russians come up?

3. How will the reports report on the competition now? Like usual? The bare minimum? Or with barely contained disgust?

4. Finally, there is the judging. Sure, the Russian skaters have the technical advantage, but will they continue getting the Eteri bonus? Or will their PCS plummet to make a point?

I imagine that after this, the IOC will raise their age limit to 16, and the ISU will agree to raising their age limit to 17 so we longer have athletes who are old enough to compete but not old enough to face consequences for rule-breaking. In the age-old figure tradition, it will probably known as the Valieva rule.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

The Russia media machine came hard for SImone Biles and Serena Williams--they simply couldn't conceive that either of those women were that good. No, no, it was because they were Black--the judges sympathized. Or something. Or because Simone supposedly doped--she took fucking ritalin for her ADHD and her coaches cleared it with WADA! I peeked at Twitter last night and poster after Russian poster was just hammering out SImone Simone SImone.

There's not a doubt in my mind that they briefly considered trying to claim that all their athletes have a legitimate need for ADHD meds but then discarded that plan when it was pointed out how often they'd have to submit for drug testing. 

While we all know that not hearing the anthem or seeing the flag raised is hardly punishment, I do think that having a ceremony without the ROC will piss them off in a delightful way so I hope NBC can make that happen for the team medals. Also, if they sweep the ladies event, have a ceremony with an empty podium. Really lean into it.

Earlier the question was asked as to why Russia gets away with this stuff. The first reason is money. The IOC is corrupt beyond belief. They love money and many countries (including Russia) are willing to fork over a ton. The other reason is fear. Don't forget that Rodchenkov, the whistleblower in the doping scandal, is still in witness protection. 

Finally, I have no idea why the Russian ladies don't have the same victorious history with skating as the men, pairs, and ice dancers. I remember Katia Gordeeva writing about how she was pushed to pairs because she wasn't a strong jumper and how mean various coaches could be so it also could be a combination of limited talent among the available skaters and emotional distress.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, Domenicholas said:

The women's competition is going to be eye-opening:

1. How will the other women respond to having to skate against a person who failed a drug test? Will they response normally, or will there be some obvious coldness when the Russians are around?

2. Besides the chosen Chinese audience, most of the audience is made up of athletes from other sports and other delegations who probably know about the scandal now. Will they act pleasantly or boo when the Russians come up?

3. How will the reports report on the competition now? Like usual? The bare minimum? Or with barely contained disgust?

4. Finally, there is the judging. Sure, the Russian skaters have the technical advantage, but will they continue getting the Eteri bonus? Or will their PCS plummet to make a point?

I imagine that after this, the IOC will raise their age limit to 16, and the ISU will agree to raising their age limit to 17 so we longer have athletes who are old enough to compete but not old enough to face consequences for rule-breaking. In the age-old figure tradition, it will probably known as the Valieva rule.

1. I think the other women are so busy trying to make the most of their own Olympic experience that they will do their best to ignore the whole situation

2. I expect athletes from other countries are aware of the situation as far as how the Russians have never been interested in fair play and they won't really blame Valieva because they know she is very young and a lot of it is beyond her control.  I don't think anyone other than other Russian athletes will be enthusiastic, but I expect she will get polite applause and little to no jeering.

3. The event will be crawling with the press, many of whom will not know a thing about figure skating but will report on the story as a scandal.  I was in Lillehammer and attended the Ladies' event back in the day of Tonya and Nancy in '94.  Most of the reporters didn't seem to know a thing about skating but it didn't stop them from breathless speculation.

4.  The judges that have always been in the tank for the Russians will continue to favor them no matter what.  Considering how the Russians have gotten away with cheating for decades and have yet to be meaningfully penalized, I think it is naive to think that anything that has happened thus far will change it.  Why should the judges worry when the athlete isn't facing any consequences?

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Who is Eteri?

Honestly. I think this Kamilla person shouldn't be allowed to compete. yah it's unfair but she has a banned substance. end of story.

Eteri is Kamila's coach, well known for her mistreatment of the skaters she trains.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Domenicholas said:

The other skaters should just concentrate on doing their best.

However, the audience....hopefully they'll maintain a stony silence--or maybe just polite, skeptical applause, contrasted with wild cheering for everyone else. Call it the Sochi Treatment 😉

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

The other skaters should just concentrate on doing their best.

However, the audience....hopefully they'll maintain a stony silence--or maybe just polite, skeptical applause, contrasted with wild cheering for everyone else. Call it the Sochi Treatment 😉

The audience is all like invited suits. They probably barely know figure skating.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Who is Eteri?

Honestly. I think this Kamilla person shouldn't be allowed to compete. yah it's unfair but she has a banned substance. end of story.

To sum up all of the past 30 or so pages in a few words.

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Here is what seems to be an accurate transcript:

https://dossier-center.appspot.com/kamila/

Grandpa was in the hearing. 

Eteri: Kamila, say hello to your grandfather

Kamila: But my grandfather is dead

Eteri, teeth clenched: KAMILA, SAY HELLO TO YOUR BELOVED GRANDFATHER

• LOL 22
10 hours ago, Jillibean said:

Chock and Bates actually started the whole "let's show up and cheer even though we're not on the team" dynamic back in Sochi, when they showed up in the team box for the very first team event. Others who came in 2018 were following their original example. They're amazing sportsmen. I would love to see them get their medal. 

The Shib sibs were also there to cheer for everyone in 2014. 

On Instagram Madison Hubble specifically thanked the people not on the team for coming to cheer for them at the team event. We all remember her NOT being there in 2018. What a hypocrite.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Jeddah said:

The Shib sibs were also there to cheer for everyone in 2014. 

On Instagram Madison Hubble specifically thanked the people not on the team for coming to cheer for them at the team event. We all remember her NOT being there in 2018. What a hypocrite.

HAHA! 

Wasn't their drama in the team competition in 2018? Weren't H/D mad that the Shibs didn't decide to split it? I swear I remember reading that somewhere.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

HAHA! 

Wasn't their drama in the team competition in 2018? Weren't H/D mad that the Shibs didn't decide to split it? I swear I remember reading that somewhere.

I can understand why they would have been frustrated in 2018 because all three dance teams were pretty evenly matched, but suck it up and go cheer anyway!

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

HAHA! 

From what I remember, H/D felt they should have been chosen over the Shibs for the Team Event as they were the reigning national champions. The Shibs though were more consistent and had better placements in their international competitions. Barring 2018 Nationals, the Shibs had placed over H/D every time they competed against each other. Maia had a rare stumble at Nationals which was enough to to keep them from winning. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

From what I remember, H/D felt they should have been chosen over the Shibs for the Team Event as they were the reigning national champions. The Shibs though were more consistent and had better placements in their international competitions. Barring 2018 Nationals, the Shibs had placed over H/D every time they competed against each other. Maia had a rare stumble at Nationals which was enough to to keep them from winning. 

Didn't the Shibs have a higher world ranking?

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, redpencil said:

Anyone know who or what The Dossier Center is and how reliable/trustworthy they are?

Not entirely sure but a quick google search says it’s a “Russian investigative project established by Kremlin critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky”

Mikhail Khodorkovsky is “a former billionaire and a critic of President Vladimir V. Putin's who was imprisoned for a decade.” Currently exiled and residing in London.

Edited by healthnut
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I really wish the other figure skaters would just up and walk out. Let Russia have their worthless podium sweep, and then finally ban their asses.

If 15 is too young to understand the consequences of your actions, then you really shouldn't be competing with adults!

That said, I do feel sorry for her. Does anyone think Kamila really have any other choice but to skate in this farce, keep up with the "aw shucks I had no clue!" and smile for the cameras when she's paraded around Russia as a sports hero for a few weeks before she's promptly discarded for a group of 11-year olds at the start of the 2026 Olympic cycle? I doubt she gets the charmed life that Tara Lipinsky got in 1998.

Also Kamila really looks like Paige from "The Americans" which annoys me because I could not stand Paige. LOL.6cef2302a3cc4f58e8e5ca2aa36f011923-08-ho

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 7
  • Love 5

“Hypoxen was shown to have antihypoxic and antioxidant effects and can be used by healthy people with reduced performance in extreme situations and adverse weather conditions, e.g. Far North, highlands, etc. Hypoxenum is used by athletes to improve physical performance, yet it is not on the WADA Prohibited List. Apart from that, the drug was also shown to be effective in patients suffering from alcohol abuse problems as it can decrease cravings, improve mood, lower anxiety, and asthenia.

Hypoxen can be used in the combination therapy of conditions associated with hypoxia: severe injuries, burns, major surgery, blood loss, as well as asthma and obstructive bronchitis, pneumonia, and insufficient oxygen supply to the issues. Moreover, Hypoxenum reduces the amount of damage caused to the heart by myocardial infarction; the drug also activates the functional activity of monocytes in patients with viral hepatitis, recurrent herpes, influenza, and acute respiratory viral infections (ARVI).

In 1996, the drug was approved for medical use and has been sold without prescription in Russia since then.“

• Useful 6
7 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I can understand why they would have been frustrated in 2018 because all three dance teams were pretty evenly matched, but suck it up and go cheer anyway!

In all of the years I've watched ice skating, I've always seen the other skaters waiting in the backstage area.  I've never seen any of them out there cheering for the other skaters.  They're busy getting ready for their turn or winding down from a performance.

It's a nice thought that they should cheer each other on, but it's a competition, and its game on when you're on the ice!  Not that anyone has to be mean, but I don't expect competitors to cheer each other on - except for when they're in the team competition.  

• Love 2

Woke up to the news that the first Dutch figure skater at the Olympics in 46 years has made it to the free skate and I'm so happy for her. Figure skating has not been our event in recent time, obviously since there hasn't been a skater since 1976, and we're hoping that her doing well is going to make more kids want to figure skate. 

• Love 21
8 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

In all of the years I've watched ice skating, I've always seen the other skaters waiting in the backstage area.  I've never seen any of them out there cheering for the other skaters.  They're busy getting ready for their turn or winding down from a performance.

It's a nice thought that they should cheer each other on, but it's a competition, and its game on when you're on the ice!  Not that anyone has to be mean, but I don't expect competitors to cheer each other on - except for when they're in the team competition.  

I think Jeddah is referring to the team competition. In 2018, the Shib Sibs decided that they wanted to skate both the RD and FD for the team event. They had the option to choose because of their success on the world stage even though H/D had just won at Nationals. H/D pointedly did not come to the team event or cheer on the team. C/B were there cheering even though they weren't skating.

Edited by sweeks
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, sweeks said:

I think Jeddah is referring to the team competition.

Thanks for the clarification!  Putting that aside,  I'm still glad that H & D got a bronze.  I really enjoyed their free dance performance.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Poor Karen. She has to skate right before Kamila. 

I think skating BEFORE her would be more preferable to skating after her, though. 

Jesus. Seeing Constant Bitch Face out there with her trio of dopers for the warm up makes my blood boil. 

A Russian Twitter account tried putting me in a group called "Child Haters." LOL. BLOCK. Yeah, right, Sergei. You support putting drugs in teenager's bodies, and I'M the child hater. Take an abundance of seats. 

• Love 19

The commentating to Valievas skate is 100% more subdued than during the team event. 

eta, Johnny and Tara are trying their best to be normal with the other skaters but you can feel how this mess is hanging over this event. It's so sad for everyone else.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Tara and Johnny are pissed off.

And she's in first and that is total bullshit given that Higuchi landed her 3A cleanly and Kamila did not.

Absolute bullshit. I can't find any valid reason for scoring her that high.

• Love 9