Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E11: All Hands

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

After a civilian research vessel in the North Atlantic picks up a small boat of wounded Navy officers, NCIS arrives on the ship and is forced to hide after discovering terrorists on board. Also, Agent Knight takes a paper doll with her on the mission to capture photos for her niece’s grade school class.

A surprisingly lighthearted/ fun/ funny episode, considering the promo and the context that they are stuck on a ship unarmed with armed, unknown baddies. Light and easy tv watching, which contrasts with FBI: Most Wanted tv show (very gory, violent, heavy subject matter).

A fun episode to show what kind of leader Parker is. Glad he is not too "CSI Miami Horatio Crane" flashy and saves-the-day-with-a-perfect-plan (this was not Parker's style). Parker kept figuring it out as he went along, took the team's input, and was chatty enough but a more "what's up his sleeve" style.

Would have liked to see the team on the ship working together more for more "team bonding under duress" this episode. Instead, everyone got split up after the initial shootout.

Gary Cole played it a bit too comical while on the ship imo (but I enjoy any acting he does and anytime he is on screen). In the past 4 years, he has been on 2 sitcoms (as the funny older relative), so sometimes he's a bit sitcom-my on NCIS imo.

Would have been nice if this Stargazer ship fiasco revealed a bit about Parker's past trauma/ bad memories on a (cruise?) ship he mentioned. At this rate, we hopefully have multiple more seasons to get to know Parker.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

What happened to the third high jacker?

He must have been flying the helicopter. 

How did their rescuers get on the helicopter? I thought they were still in flight but I guess not.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable episode.  I loved how "outside the box" and MacGyver-ish Parker was.  There were a lot of callbacks and interweaving plot points.  I loved the Star Trek thread throughout the episode, with each character declaring a favorite series.  I especially liked that McGee got called out by the subbasement geeks for using them for his power-tripping stint as their "Boss" and making them feel like an elite NCIS team, then dropping them like a hot potato when McGee's "real" team came calling.  Knight's turn in the interrogation chair as the panicking female recalled The Avengers scene where Natasha Romanoff is tied to the chair in the same sort of reverse interrogation.  That was smooth. 

That helicopter truly was a marvelous piece of technology, suitable for selling to the highest bidder, and well worth it for the amazing fuel range it had!  This is always where I have to suspend my disbelief, In the NCIS world time and space and transportation practicalities just do not exist.  That the helo made it from DC to the Stargazer's location in the North Atlantic and back on one tank of gas is amazing.  Particularly since the Stargazer had to be far enough offshore to be off radar range, as well as somewhere where their specialized environmental study could be conducted in isolation.  Even supposing this location was just off the Maryland coast, that's still quite the range that chopper had.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I liked this episode though I didn't like them showing Torres being punched in the face by the bad guys.  Thankfully, they spared us the same type of scene with Knight, just showing us her bruised face and hurting ribcage.  

Really, really, liking Gary Cole and hope that the show keeps him.  This season is so superior to what preceded it for about 2 years.  Okay, so it's more lighthearted but sometimes you just want to chill out with some action/adventure where the good guys win, the bad guys get their asses kicked and there isn't tons of personal angst with the heroes.  

The paper doll made me laugh.  My sister had sent me the male version ("Flat Stanley") on behalf of her son who was maybe 8 at the time (this had to be maybe 12 or 13 years ago).  So I had to take Flat Stanley on all these adventures and my friends got their jollies by thinking of ahem, "adult"  situations to feature Stanley.  You never know the kinky thoughts in people's minds until they get presented with a kid's paper doll.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

This episode flew by. I liked that it wasn’t a murder case for a change. Parker continues to be a breath of fresh air and him interacting with everyone including Vance in such an easygoing manner makes it seem as if Gary Cole has been on this show for years.

• Love 7

This show has changed so much since Mark Harmon left and Gary Cole was hired.  I am a fan of the change.  I've watched it from the beginning, and am now rewatching the entire series from the beginning from a new perspective, but still enjoying it.  IMO, the show had become darker in mood, and a bit stale, but I continued to like it.  This season is like a reset, and maybe there are new writers.  For whatever reason, it has improved.

The latest episode was good, and balanced the drama with some lighter moments.  I think Gary Cole was the perfect casting choice to take over for Harmon.  I would like to see Gibbs make an appearance before the season ends as a way to provide viewers a glimpse of that boat we saw when he arrived in Alaska.           

• Love 10

One thing that didn't ring true in this ep, is that when the pilot and co-pilot suddenly showed up on the deck, and our gang didn't know who they were, even after they figured out that they were good guys, they didn't do or say anything to try to get them out of the open where they would be a target.  While all that conversation was going on, I was saying to myself, why aren't they trying to get the helicopter guys out of the open so they don't get shot...and then, sure enough, the guys got shot.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

One thing that didn't ring true in this ep, is that when the pilot and co-pilot suddenly showed up on the deck, and our gang didn't know who they were, even after they figured out that they were good guys, they didn't do or say anything to try to get them out of the open where they would be a target. 

I'm guessing the audience is supposed to assume that the team only saw them with their helmets on and not their actual faces and that they were dealing with folks who weren't actually soldiers...  But yes, let's suspend disbelief

• Love 1

Solid episode. I was confused why they 'terrorists' alerted the Navy/NCIS in the first place. But all the talk about how awesome the helicopter was and one pilot specifically mentioning its price-tag was a clue I missed. Clever bit of writing. I also liked the little character touches. Knight wanting to impress her niece but not knowing her age. The Mandelhörnchen and the various shout-outs to ST (so far no fan of Discovery LOL!). Have we met the Tech Trolls before? I can't remember but I would not mind them becoming semi-regulars. I also noticed more extras in the background in the last scene of the cyber department. It's tiny details but they add to the notion that NCIS does not consist of one team plus Jimmy and Kasie.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4

The tv show Bull is ending its run.  I wonder if Michael Weatherly will return to the show.

Gary Cole is fitting in well.

Now that Harmon is no longer part of the show, it would be great if Pauley Perrette could come back and reprise her role as Abby.  Kasie gets on my nerves and is not likeable. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, rr2911 said:

The tv show Bull is ending its run.  I wonder if Michael Weatherly will return to the show.

Gary Cole is fitting in well.

Now that Harmon is no longer part of the show, it would be great if Pauley Perrette could come back and reprise her role as Abby.  Kasie gets on my nerves and is not likeable. 

I thought Mark Harmon still carries the executive producer perk/money in his retirement.

They received heat signatures from the helicopter, so it must have been on someone's radar. Why could they not continue to track it and just shoot it down? Why did Parker have to be on board?

Otherwise, I'm with everyone else, it was an enjoyable episode. (Poor Jimmy, though. How many times has he been held at gunpoint/in a hostage situation in the past few years now?)

On 1/23/2022 at 2:22 AM, rr2911 said:

Please, no. Weatherly is toxic af and I never liked DiNozzo. He's so incredibly petty and easily threatened. I absolutely detested him when he stabbed the mock-up of McGee as "the face of NCIS"--he was so threatened by having been replaced (not realizing it was a joke), that he hauls off and stabs 5-6 times? I really detest DiNozzo. The only times I like him is when he's serious.

Kasie is fine but nobody can replace or equal Pauley Perrette as Abby, IMO. Would love her to come back. 

• Love 3